PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Shoes

Reko
10-27-16, 5:29 pm
I squat and OHP in a pretty old and low end pair of Do-Win Oly Shoes. I'm in the market to replacing them. Not sure if I want to stick with theirs or look at other brands. Does anyone have experience with a variety of brands, and pros/cons of the ones they have used? Thanks in advance.

BigChrisF
10-28-16, 2:13 am
I always thought about trying Oly shoes, but I was too cheap to spring for a set without knowing if I would love or hate them. And I didn't know anyone with size 14 to borrow.

Reko
10-28-16, 5:24 pm
I tried lifting in my chucks with my heels on either a 2 or a 5 for oly squats and OHP. seemed to feel more comfortable so i found someone with a pair that was a size and a half (equivalent) too big and got a good deal on them. That was.... 7 years ago? I think i got my money's worth out of them!

I'm giving them a shot in my raw cycle now and i'm liking them so far. don't like them for deadlifting though.

Rex
11-01-16, 12:11 pm
I always thought about trying Oly shoes, but I was too cheap to spring for a set without knowing if I would love or hate them. And I didn't know anyone with size 14 to borrow.

Same situation for me. I´m a cheap bastard...

BCent
11-01-16, 12:15 pm
I know a bunch of people who train in Nike Romeleos and like them but know that they can be kind of expensive. I've heard decent things about the adidas ones as well, for whatever that's worth....

Reko
11-01-16, 4:05 pm
Thanks. I'm going to give the adidas ones a shot (on their way now). price point was much easier to swallow. I'll let everyone know how they go.

Buckfever
11-02-16, 8:43 am
I got the Adipowers and they're great. They are particularly well suited for someone with a high arch. The Romaleos I have read are probably better for a wider flatter foot. Although these a probably subtle differences and my impression is that the Romaleos are a bit more popular now. They are expensive but if you just use them in the gym they are lifetime purchases.

Reko
11-02-16, 10:23 am
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LCRTMZI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Those are the ones I went with (Adidas Powerlift.3 if the link doesn't go through). I should have them tomorrow and I'll put up a comparison vs my Do-Win shoes once I get a chance to use them.

Buckfever
11-02-16, 2:38 pm
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LCRTMZI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Those are the ones I went with (Adidas Powerlift.3 if the link doesn't go through). I should have them tomorrow and I'll put up a comparison vs my Do-Win shoes once I get a chance to use them.

My son uses those and loves them, the heal is a bit more modest which he prefers.

Reko
11-07-16, 4:52 pm
Tried out the powerlift2.0 and will be sending them back. The heel was lower which i actually didn't like but more importantly the heel was squishy. I wouldn't think that would be the case given these were lifting shoes. It wasn't tennis shoe squishy by any means, but i could press it in with my hands if i tried hard enough and could see it when i squatted (I videoed my shoes during a set, i can post these if people are interested).

I will be sampling a pair of VS athletics shoes next, and given that these look and are probably structurally identical to my current Do-Wins (which i like) I feel very good about them. even better, they were half the price lol.

MRmichael.hooker
11-07-16, 6:31 pm
Tried out the powerlift2.0 and will be sending them back. The heel was lower which i actually didn't like but more importantly the heel was squishy. I wouldn't think that would be the case given these were lifting shoes. It wasn't tennis shoe squishy by any means, but i could press it in with my hands if i tried hard enough and could see it when i squatted (I videoed my shoes during a set, i can post these if people are interested).

I will be sampling a pair of VS athletics shoes next, and given that these look and are probably structurally identical to my current Do-Wins (which i like) I feel very good about them. even better, they were half the price lol.

Thanks for the update man! I will be looking forward to the next pair

Reko
11-11-16, 8:08 pm
VS Athletics are a go!

Less comfortable from a, well, comfort standpoint, but these are for lifting on a raised heel so comfort means very little to me. They were essentially identical to the old Do-Win shoes (the ones with the wooden heel) and that was exactly what I was looking for. The heel rise was identical to the point i'm pretty sure one company either bought the patent from the other or just outright ripped them off. I don't really care. Another Pro: 40 bucks.

I videod these too if anyone is super curious I'll post them all.

Downsides: They look like bowling shoes and they are heavy. But I'm a function over form guy so these are absolute gold as far as i am concerned. Highly reccomend. If you are used to the powerlift2.0, they might feel a little rough due to the higher and stiffer heel, but thats exactly what I was personally looking for.

Reko
11-13-16, 1:17 pm
here's the videos

first on is old shoes - 405x2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS0ZSjCdB3E

seocnd is the powerlifts - 405x2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeNlK3wnAtc

third is the VS ones that i am going with. 315x8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkLOCdYXx40