PDA

View Full Version : BURN it Down

brettmayburn
10-29-16, 8:31 am
I'm not the biggest and sure as hell not the strongest. I don't have the greatest genetics on my side either. But the 1 thing I do have is grit. True. Fucking. Grit. I can't be outworked. I have no choice. In order to get what I want I have to clench my teeth and put in the fucking work. I'm not trying to impress anyone. I do this shit for me. To be the best version of myself. I've tried many different things in my life. Many different phases. But it always comes back to this. This is who I am. You're not alone with me at 4am getting after it. Again, not because I like to but because I have to in order to be who I want to be. To be who I AM. I can use a million excuses if I wanted to. But for what? At least by grinding it out I can say I tried. I gave it my all. In all aspects of life. At the end of the day, I can rest easy in knowing that. Today, tomorrow, BE. FUCKING. GREAT. This is my Journey.

-Burn

MRmichael.hooker
11-01-16, 2:35 pm
I'm not the biggest and sure as hell not the strongest. I don't have the greatest genetics on my side either. But the 1 thing I do have is grit. True. Fucking. Grit. I can't be outworked. I have no choice. In order to get what I want I have to clench my teeth and put in the fucking work. I'm not trying to impress anyone. I do this shit for me. To be the best version of myself. I've tried many different things in my life. Many different phases. But it always comes back to this. This is who I am. You're not alone with me at 4am getting after it. Again, not because I like to but because I have to in order to be who I want to be. To be who I AM. I can use a million excuses if I wanted to. But for what? At least by grinding it out I can say I tried. I gave it my all. In all aspects of life. At the end of the day, I can rest easy in knowing that. Today, tomorrow, BE. FUCKING. GREAT. This is my Journey.

-Burn

Gonna follow along man. Where at in NC are you?

C.Coronato
11-01-16, 2:46 pm
Awesome, in for that.

brettmayburn
11-01-16, 2:57 pm
Gonna follow along man. Where at in NC are you?

Thanks brother. I'm around the Raleigh area.

brettmayburn
11-01-16, 3:01 pm
Awesome, in for that.

Appreciate the support my man.

MRmichael.hooker
11-01-16, 3:18 pm
Thanks brother. I'm around the Raleigh area.

Gotcha. I'm down close to Charlotte, around Lake Norman area

brettmayburn
11-01-16, 3:43 pm
Figured I'd start documenting this shit so I can remember what's what. Between my wife and kid, managing two departments at my day job, working a night job, and coaching my kid's T-ball team....oh and trying to eat like a savage and sleep, things start to get a little blurry up in the old attic, hence the "Journey" log. So I'll jump right in. About 10 days ago, I tore my fucking labrum, again. But luckily, I dislocated my shoulder doing dumbbell pullovers and since I held on to the weight like an idiot and fought against gravity to bring it forward, I popped it back into place myself saving the rotator cuff. So I've been easing off of any pressing movements since. Until today... But I'm being smart about this shit. I'm using all unimpressive, light weight. But what the fuck do I care anyway? I'm in my garage at 4 in the morning. The paperboy isn't even awake yet. Besides, I need to make this shit heal over time. I just need to build up around it. I'm not going under the knife again. Not a chance.

Chapter 1 - Shoulders (hopefully) & Biceps - Date: 11/1/16 Time: Ungodly hour of 4am

After my home remedy "PT for a torn labrum" warmup...

Standing barbell shoulder press:
2 sets x 15,20 reps @ 75
4 sets x 12, 10, 10, 8 @ 135

Standing barbell upright rows:
1 set x 15 reps @ just the bar (to assess my labrum tolerance to see if I could even perform this shit)
3 sets x 10 reps @ 95
Superset w/ front lateral raises:
4 sets x 30 reps @ 15 (didn't feel labrum at all on these and fought like a maniac against myself not to go heavier. Glad I finally listened)

Bent over dmbl lateral raises:
4 sets x 20 reps @ 15

Barbell shrugs:
4 sets of 10 @ 245

Seated barbell shoulder presses:
4 sets x 20 @75 (these were done as a finisher just for a pump and again assess how much this shoulder can handle without overloading)

Standing barbell curls:
4 sets x 10, 10, 10, 12 (failure) @ 115

Preacher curls:
4 sets x 10 @90

Standing dmbl curls:
4 sets x 10 @35

Tried to keep it all high intensity and really contract and feel each rep due to the light weight. But at the same time, tried to keep my shoulder in position as to not fuck it up again. All things considered, not a bad pump and what was even more impressive is that I stuck to the plan. Called myself a pussy a few times and all, but I still stuck to the plan. Overall, that's an achievement in and of itself.

-Burn

brettmayburn
11-02-16, 12:43 pm
Chapter 2 - Leg Day Date: 11/2/16 Time: "When Darkness Falls" @ 4am

Pre: Large iced cup of unleaded jet fuel plus some Pump.

Squat - 1 w/u set of 20, 2 w/u sets of 15,10, then 4 working sets of 5, 5, 6, 8
Leg Extension - 1set of 20 then 3 sets of 15, 12, 12
Stiff Legged Deads - 3 sets of 10
Walking Lunges - 4 sets of 10 each leg
Calf Raises - 4 sets of 10

5 mins of flex and stretch while sipping on some Juiced Aminos mixed with Carbo Plus & Creatine

Felt real sluggish and dead-ass tired and finally started to wake my ass up by 3rd w/u set of squats. Can't wait for Fury to be released for purchase. Much needed.

-Burn

BCent
11-02-16, 1:14 pm
In to keep up with this!

-B

brettmayburn
11-04-16, 7:55 am
Chapter 3 - Chest Day w/ some assistance tri work - Date: 11/3/16 Time: "While you're dreaming of rainbows and gumdrops I'm eating steel fucking plates" @4am

Pre - Rage XL & Pump

Flat Bench - w/u 2 sets of 20, 15 then 4 working sets of 10,10,8,5 (the fucked up labrum is forcing me to make sure my form is in check and to use just my chest and keep elbows tucked instead of flared out...not too bad after all)
Incline Bench - 4 x 12, 10, 10, 8
Superset Dips & Close Grip Bench - 4 sets of 10 each
Skull Crushers - 3 x 10
Modified press downs - 4 x 10 (no pulleys yet in the home gym and with shoulder, had to get pretty creative. Made some body weight bars (kind of like those orange P90x shit) and tried to replicate straight bar pushdowns but basically pushing myself up off the bodyweight bars at an angle. Actually got a great fucking pump this way without fucking up the shoulder more. Guess I am smarter than the average bear...then again, let's not push it).

Post - Juiced Aminos, Carbo Plus, & Creatine

Side note: Shoulder is coming along. Progressing each day. Hard for me to not push it when I think it feels ok but I'm trying my best. Left my fucking ego upstairs in bed with the wife while my realistic ass is in my fucking sweatbox I like to call The Garage of Broken Dreams.

brettmayburn
11-04-16, 8:09 am
Chapter 4 - Back w/ some arms thrown in. Date: 11/4/16 Time: "Fuck off" 4am but at least its Friday.

Pre - I'm an Animal guy, through and through. But I got my hands on some of Jason Huh's Steel AmpedAF and PumpedAF and figured fuck it, he was an Animal guy too so it doesn't feel like cheating.

Mobility and makeshift shoulder PT

Deadlifts - 3 w/u x 15,15,10 followed by 4 working sets of 10,8,5,4
Barbell Rows - 4 x 10,10,10,11 (11 on last set because fuck you Back that's why)
T-Bar Rows - 4 x 10
Straight bar curls - 4 x 10
Dumbbell curls - 3 x 30

Had to wrap it up and meet my boss & some coworkers for breakfast. All I have to say about Jason's Steel Supps is holy fucking cow shit. The focus, pump, and energy are legit. I had to stop myself not only during the workout but I came close a few times to biting the fucking steering wheel on the way to breakfast just for the fuck of it. This shit was no joke. Even just typing this I'm contemplating snapping my keyboard in half just to see if I can make it a clean break. Really can't wait for Fury release to see how it compares.

Here's to you Animals. Beat the living shit out of your Fridays and conquer the weekend.

-Burn

brettmayburn
11-04-16, 10:05 am
Chapter 4 - Back w/ some arms thrown in. Date: 11/4/16 Time: "Fuck off" 4am but at least its Friday.

Pre - I'm an Animal guy, through and through. But I got my hands on some of Jason Huh's Steel AmpedAF and PumpedAF and figured fuck it, he was an Animal guy too so it doesn't feel like cheating.

Mobility and makeshift shoulder PT

Deadlifts - 3 w/u x 15,15,10 followed by 4 working sets of 10,8,5,4
Barbell Rows - 4 x 10,10,10,11 (11 on last set because fuck you Back that's why)
T-Bar Rows - 4 x 10
Straight bar curls - 4 x 10
Dumbbell curls - 3 x 30

Had to wrap it up and meet my boss & some coworkers for breakfast. All I have to say about Jason's Steel Supps is holy fucking cow shit. The focus, pump, and energy are legit. I had to stop myself not only during the workout but I came close a few times to biting the fucking steering wheel on the way to breakfast just for the fuck of it. This shit was no joke. Even just typing this I'm contemplating snapping my keyboard in half just to see if I can make it a clean break. Really can't wait for Fury release to see how it compares.

Here's to you Animals. Beat the living shit out of your Fridays and conquer the weekend.

-Burn

And 10 minutes after I posted this J-Dawg released FURY on the IG page through BB.com. Ordered immediately placed. I'm so fucking pumped for this I may just say fuck the mail delivery and walk my ass there and get it myself.