PDA

View Full Version : Y3T

cincybrent
11-09-16, 11:12 am
Anyone ever do the y3t trainer or have any thoughts about it

Gullinborsti
11-09-16, 2:21 pm
I have used it once for a short period of time, there is nothing wrong with it.
You don't need to take the predetermined split from Neil Hill.
The y3t principle can also be easily adopted on a push / pull training plan or other splits as long as you take the basic idea into account. Just try

MRmichael.hooker
11-09-16, 2:26 pm
Anyone ever do the y3t trainer or have any thoughts about it

I actually used to work with Neil as my trainer in 2009-2010. I personally enjoy Y3T a lot, because I can understand the ideas behind it. Just makes logical sense to me. I have continued to use it off and on for the last 5 years and have had success with it, in both power and hypertrophy. Just me personally

MRmichael.hooker
11-09-16, 2:26 pm
I have used it once for a short period of time, there is nothing wrong with it.
You don't need to take the predetermined split from Neil Hill.
The y3t principle can also be easily adopted on a push / pull training plan or other splits as long as you take the basic idea into account. Just try

Exactly

Reko
11-09-16, 5:01 pm
For those of us not in the know (me) what is Y3T?

cincybrent
11-09-16, 7:27 pm
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/y3t-neil-hill-9-week-hardcore-video-trainer.html

MRmichael.hooker
11-09-16, 8:07 pm
For those of us not in the know (me) what is Y3T?

In a nut shell, it's a body building based program that cycles between 3 weeks of reps/volume. Kind of like how 5/3/1 does in power lifting and constantly changes each week. Basically, Week 1 is lower volume, reps around 6-8. Week 2 is more moderate volume and reps 10-14. 3rd weeks is a ton of giant sets, triple drop sets, super sets, etc. Then rotates back to week 1. It's designed to promote both slow & fast twitched fibers growth, recovery, prevent injuries, and hypertrophy. Again, this is in a nut shell

cincybrent
11-09-16, 8:54 pm
Would this be ok for a beginner someone that does not know much about lifting. If not can someone recommend something that would be better. My goal is to add size.

MRmichael.hooker
11-10-16, 9:20 am
Would this be ok for a beginner someone that does not know much about lifting. If not can someone recommend something that would be better. My goal is to add size.

Overall, most plans can work for a 'beginner' because as long as you're training and eating decently well, most things work for a true beginner. As far as using this program, how much of a 'beginner' are you? I think this program works very well, but it might be a little much once you hit week 3 if you're new to lifting. Might be better to just alternate between weeks 1 & 2 at first as you ease into weight training. If you're JUST starting out with weight training, might be a better idea to do a push/pull/legs split or something along those lines. If you've been training already for a little while, I see no issues trying out Y3T for 2-3 months and seeing how you like it. If you're going to start a program (any program), make sure to give it a couple months before deciding if it's working for you or not. Not just 3-4 weeks.

Rex
11-11-16, 10:57 am
I actually used to work with Neil as my trainer in 2009-2010. I personally enjoy Y3T a lot, because I can understand the ideas behind it. Just makes logical sense to me. I have continued to use it off and on for the last 5 years and have had success with it, in both power and hypertrophy. Just me personally

Have you been satisfied with Neilīs coaching?
How was it in general?
More hands on or rather distant?

Rex
11-11-16, 10:58 am

Iīd recommend for any beginner to not overthink shit.

Appleton.Cory
11-11-16, 11:01 am
Iīd recommend for any beginner to not overthink shit.

Haha! Amen to that!

Rex
11-11-16, 11:04 am
Overall, I think it makes sense rotating rep ranges in certain intervals to ensure constant adaptation, keep training interesting and also reduce risk of injury and/or wear and tear. Neil apparently advocates 3 differentiations.

MRmichael.hooker
11-11-16, 2:12 pm
Have you been satisfied with Neilīs coaching?
How was it in general?
More hands on or rather distant?

For the most part yes. He emailed and checked in quite often. Always explained WHY he was having me do something. He'd call from Wales and talk about 30-60mins 2-3x a month. So for him living in a different continent, he was pretty hands on. Got a little rocky at the end, which is why I stopped working with him. I'll just leave that part at that. But for most of it, I have nothing but positive things to say about him and his nutrition and his training philosophies.

cincybrent
11-11-16, 7:33 pm
[QUOTE=MRmichael.hooker;1442441]Overall, most plans can work for a 'beginner' because as long as you're training and eating decently well, most things work for a true beginner. As far as using this program, how much of a 'beginner' are you? I think this program works very well, but it might be a little much once you hit week 3 if you're new to lifting. Might be better to just alternate between weeks 1 & 2 at first as you ease into weight training. If you're JUST starting out with weight training, might be a better idea to do a push/pull/legs split or something along those lines. If you've been training already for a little while, I see no issues trying out Y3T for 2-3 months and seeing how you like it. If you're going to start a program (any program), make sure to give it a couple months before deciding if it's working for you or not. Not just 3-4 weeks. I'm super new to it never really worked out before. I'm just trying to figure everything out and how to do it right. Is there anything you would recommend with push/pull/legs for me 2 start with.

cincybrent
11-11-16, 7:34 pm
Thanks for everyone's help and reply.

MRmichael.hooker
11-12-16, 9:42 am
I'm super new to it never really worked out before. I'm just trying to figure everything out and how to do it right. Is there anything you would recommend with push/pull/legs for me 2 start with.

Push day would typically consist of Chest, Shoulders, Triceps.
Pull day would be back, biceps, rear delts
Leg day is pretty self explanatory

I'm sure others can give more advice on a split like this, as I have not personally ran a push/pull split before other than a short time after I had a hamstring tear. I'd think you'd stick around the 10-12 rep range on most things with lighter weight so you can focus on form more than weight. There is no better advice I can give anyone starting out than really focus on form and feeling the target muscle work. Doesn't do you any good to squat 405lb like crap or to bench 315lb with a spotter doing all the work. Not just swinging the weight around, but feeling the muscle work

Rex
11-12-16, 10:41 am
For the most part yes. He emailed and checked in quite often. Always explained WHY he was having me do something. He'd call from Wales and talk about 30-60mins 2-3x a month. So for him living in a different continent, he was pretty hands on. Got a little rocky at the end, which is why I stopped working with him. I'll just leave that part at that. But for most of it, I have nothing but positive things to say about him and his nutrition and his training philosophies.

Thanks for this, Michael.

Rex
11-12-16, 10:44 am
Thanks for everyone's help and reply.

Hey! Thatīs the FORVM is for.
If you ask me, this is the best forum there is.
No BS, no insulting each other, no bashing other... Just conversation, discussion and sharing information and experiences.
You will find that no other place. Period.

s4rgonnn
11-23-16, 9:41 pm
If you are beginner Y3T will be hard to follow. in week 3 you will do lot of supersets, giant set, drops etc. It will be hard if you havent some strength. I did it twice, but harder programm of Neil's book than that bb.com training. I gained around 1lb of muscle mass every week with good nutrition. Y3T is very hard training you will need lot of food haha. I had very good results with minimal fat gain with no anabolics. If you have some strength, i will suggest you begin with bb.com Y3T pogramm.

Hope this helps.