PDA

View Full Version : Gettin' Old Sucks! So Why Not LIFT!

BigZ
11-18-16, 1:08 pm
Grew up a skinny kid, but that has changed. I am now 43yrs young and bigger in a lot of ways. But lets back up some years. 24 years to be exact.

Growing up a distance I never understood strength. Sure, I new what a barbell was but was never shown the way. Never shown why I needed it in my weak life. To use a barbell in my opinion required a certain mindset. A mindset that only involved guys who seemed to be of a different bread than me. Why strain yourself under the bar when running was far better? Ha, ha, ha. What a fucking joke! Now as I sit in my 43yr old body I realize the joke was on me. Strength at my age and going forward is everything. It is the essence of my being. Without it I might not survive much longer. And that's not some far fetched statement...It's the cold dark truth!

My 20's & 30's I spent overweight. Unhealthy and always lacked energy. Sure I played softball and things but at least I could rest. At 38 my doctor told me I'd probably be dead in 10yrs if I didn't make changes. Meaning get up off my ass and exercise. Was he lying? Don't know, don't care. He struck a nerve that day and left those words embedded in my mind like a neon light. At first it was just exercise. Grouping random workouts together with the only thing I knew for my youth...running. So I ran, but I realized I hated running! It felt bad and I had had enough of it in my youth. So I looked over in the corner of my gym and found it! Hidden under some dust. The "Barbell." So, even though I didn't know what I was doing I did it any way! I asked questions. I read. I watched videos. And for 5 years I have fought and lost again and again and again. But each day I return. Because when you respect your opponent enough you return...but only better prepared.

So, why am I here? Why did I continue to fight even though I couldn't squat my bodyweight and didn't even know what a deadlift was? Because, I knew someday the "Barbell" would no longer be my opponent but rather my friend. This friend has taught me to be tough! Fight for what I want out of each grueling rep. And with each rep I became stronger. I became bigger. Became tougher and seasoned. But also smarter. Smart enough to know that I am still weak and have a lot to learn. Smart enough to set the bar high and grasp at my goals knowing that they are high. Because I want to compete!!!!

This is where I leave you. Set my goals for 2016 in Nov of 2015. I want these by Dec 31st 2016. I only went with heavy lifts that would have the most benefit.

Lift starting current 2016 Goal
Squat 135lb 285 315
Bench 225lb 285 280
Deadlift 225lb 395 405
Strict Press 95lb 155 180
Push Press 120lb 205 225

A long road ahead. It's worth it! I am ready and will be successful. And then we up the stakes!!!!

This is my road. This is my journey!

Universal Rep
11-18-16, 1:54 pm
Grew up a skinny kid, but that has changed. I am now 43yrs young and bigger in a lot of ways. But lets back up some years. 24 years to be exact.

Growing up a distance I never understood strength. Sure, I new what a barbell was but was never shown the way. Never shown why I needed it in my weak life. To use a barbell in my opinion required a certain mindset. A mindset that only involved guys who seemed to be of a different bread than me. Why strain yourself under the bar when running was far better? Ha, ha, ha. What a fucking joke! Now as I sit in my 43yr old body I realize the joke was on me. Strength at my age and going forward is everything. It is the essence of my being. Without it I might not survive much longer. And that's not some far fetched statement...It's the cold dark truth!

My 20's & 30's I spent overweight. Unhealthy and always lacked energy. Sure I played softball and things but at least I could rest. At 38 my doctor told me I'd probably be dead in 10yrs if I didn't make changes. Meaning get up off my ass and exercise. Was he lying? Don't know, don't care. He struck a nerve that day and left those words embedded in my mind like a neon light. At first it was just exercise. Grouping random workouts together with the only thing I knew for my youth...running. So I ran, but I realized I hated running! It felt bad and I had had enough of it in my youth. So I looked over in the corner of my gym and found it! Hidden under some dust. The "Barbell." So, even though I didn't know what I was doing I did it any way! I asked questions. I read. I watched videos. And for 5 years I have fought and lost again and again and again. But each day I return. Because when you respect your opponent enough you return...but only better prepared.

So, why am I here? Why did I continue to fight even though I couldn't squat my bodyweight and didn't even know what a deadlift was? Because, I knew someday the "Barbell" would no longer be my opponent but rather my friend. This friend has taught me to be tough! Fight for what I want out of each grueling rep. And with each rep I became stronger. I became bigger. Became tougher and seasoned. But also smarter. Smart enough to know that I am still weak and have a lot to learn. Smart enough to set the bar high and grasp at my goals knowing that they are high. Because I want to compete!!!!

This is where I leave you. Set my goals for 2016 in Nov of 2015. I want these by Dec 31st 2016. I only went with heavy lifts that would have the most benefit.

Lift starting current 2016 Goal
Squat 135lb 285 315
Bench 225lb 285 280
Deadlift 225lb 395 405
Strict Press 95lb 155 180
Push Press 120lb 205 225

A long road ahead. It's worth it! I am ready and will be successful. And then we up the stakes!!!!

This is my road. This is my journey!

Why not lift when you're old? Because it hurts. Haha. Good luck with your Journey.

BigZ
11-18-16, 2:13 pm
Why not lift when you're old? Because it hurts. Haha. Good luck with your Journey.

Oh...yes...it...does!

Appleton.Cory
11-18-16, 2:16 pm
Oh...yes...it...does!

If you're doing it right.. it hurts when you're young too.

Welcome home.

Cellardweller
11-18-16, 3:17 pm
I'm in for this ride. I'm currently waging a war on 44. End of the year is my birthday and I plan on celebrating it by smashing some PRs. My Journey started because I had let myself go too.

BigZ
11-18-16, 5:35 pm
I have embraced the pain. lol. It's a lot like smell of the chalk. I wish I had started long ago but I didn't and can't change that but I can look forward and keep on going!