PDA

View Full Version : USAPL/IPF and NASA powerlifting feds: Animal Pak T-shirts allowed?

anj
12-04-16, 8:55 pm
Hi guys,

I will be competing in USAPL and NASA powerlifting meets next year. I have competed in other feds before, but this is the first time I've competed in these two.

I was just wondering if any of you powerlifters have ever had issues with wearing the Animal Pak tees under your singlet when you compete in these federations (either the original Animal Pak shirt or the singlet Animal Pak shirt). I know that they are made of the correct material that follows the rules, but I know that sometimes these feds are picky about what logos are on the T-shirt.

The rulebooks for these feds say that the lifter's T-shirt can be plain, show the name of an approved equipment brand, or the lifter's team or sponsors. I wasn't sure if Animal Pak logos are against the rules, or if they technically count as a "sponsor."

I know this is a lame question for a powerlifter to be worried about lol, but I would definitely want to rep Animal Pak in all of the meets I compete in.

Thanks guys.

HIGA MONSTER
12-05-16, 12:07 am
Hi guys,

I will be competing in USAPL and NASA powerlifting meets next year. I have competed in other feds before, but this is the first time I've competed in these two.

I was just wondering if any of you powerlifters have ever had issues with wearing the Animal Pak tees under your singlet when you compete in these federations (either the original Animal Pak shirt or the singlet Animal Pak shirt). I know that they are made of the correct material that follows the rules, but I know that sometimes these feds are picky about what logos are on the T-shirt.

The rulebooks for these feds say that the lifter's T-shirt can be plain, show the name of an approved equipment brand, or the lifter's team or sponsors. I wasn't sure if Animal Pak logos are against the rules, or if they technically count as a "sponsor."

I know this is a lame question for a powerlifter to be worried about lol, but I would definitely want to rep Animal Pak in all of the meets I compete in.

Thanks guys.
Unfortunately, the Animal shirts/singlets are not an IPF approved logo to use while competing in a USAPL/IPF meet.

If you use it prior to, or after the contest is over, that's fine.
But you can't be on the platform with it on.

Aloha,
HIGA MONSTER

Gooners85
12-06-16, 9:16 pm
it probably wouldn't be a big deal at the local level, but I'd bring an approved t-shirt (ie meet shirt, plain t-shirt, IPF approved logo) just in case.

JHOORNSTRA
12-11-16, 7:03 pm
That's retarded.

BigChrisF
12-13-16, 2:28 am
That's retarded.

That's the level of control the IPF likes to have over their lifters and one of the reasons so many people went elsewhere.

EthanBrooks
12-13-16, 6:45 am
I never understood why some feds are so picky about logos. It's not like it makes a difference.

Nmowery
12-13-16, 3:03 pm
I never understood why some feds are so picky about logos. It's not like it makes a difference.

$$$

I've heard it's insanely expensive to have a piece of gear "ipf approved", and I'm sure it's the same way with simple items like t shirts.

JHOORNSTRA
12-13-16, 4:41 pm
My friend (one of my sponsors) owns a gear equipment and to get his wraps and sleeves approved there was an initial $10,000 deposit and $10,000 a year to get them approved for a period of 8 years but it worked out to being roughly $12,500 a year for permission to be on the gear approval list...

anj
12-13-16, 6:57 pm
Wow, I have heard a lot of rumors about how costly it is to have a brand approved by the IPF, but I didn't know the prices were that high.

I'm sure we could create a whole new thread discussing issues with the USAPL/IPF lol. Don't get me wrong, I respect the federation and some of the excellent lifters (like Higa of course) who compete there, but I do think that a good number of the federation's rules are arbitrary, and do not even improve the integrity of the sport. Although there are quite a few beasts who lift in the USAPL/IPF, and the 2-hour weigh-in and strict rules make their accomplishments all the more impressive, I think it can be VERY easy to start feeling a sense of complacency, arrogance and superiority over other lifters when you compete only in the USAPL. I'm certainly not saying that all lifters in the IPF are like this, but there is definitely more of a tendency in this federation to start politicizing powerlifting and only recognizing the records set in the IPF, not the All-Time world records. To ignore the virtues of other federations and the great accomplishments by non-IPF lifters is plain ridiculous and disrespectful.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now. I know I'm one to talk because I'm planning on doing a local USAPL meet next year, but I dunno if I will do any more in the future. But whether or not they allow me to wear my Animal Pak shirt, I'm going to bring it just in case, and will definitely wear it before/after the meet!

Thanks for your guys' feedback.