PDA

View Full Version : Try This: Forced Reps - "The Calf Trick"

jrh0341
02-15-17, 1:39 pm
I've got pretty stubborn calves and have to work hard to get them to grow. This is simple a way I've found to push each rep to it's full potential

- Get on the leg press/calf sled, whatever.

- Cut the weight down to way less than you would use for both legs (but a bit more than you can use for singles).

- using full, controlled reps, do every rep like a normal two footed press, BUT TRY TO ONLY PUSH WITH ONE FOOT. Alternate back and forth (left, right, left, right, etc)

- Use the "non working" foot just enough to assist the working foot through the rep.

Get it? You know when you're doing single arm DB curls, and you're about to hit failure, so you reach down with the other arm and help nudge your working arm through those last few reps? This is just like that for calves, except it's EVERY rep, start to finish.

Finish the set with some light regular reps.

So, ONE set of ten might look like:

Left, Right, Left, Right, L, R, L, R, L, R, L, R, L, R, L, R, Both, Both, Both, Both, Both, Both, Both, Both, Both, Both.

CCBentz3
03-09-17, 6:18 pm
I

I've got pretty stubborn calves and have to work hard to get them to grow. This is simple a way I've found to push each rep to it's full potential

- Get on the leg press/calf sled, whatever.

- Cut the weight down to way less than you would use for both legs (but a bit more than you can use for singles).

- using full, controlled reps, do every rep like a normal two footed press, BUT TRY TO ONLY PUSH WITH ONE FOOT. Alternate back and forth (left, right, left, right, etc)

- Use the "non working" foot just enough to assist the working foot through the rep.

Get it? You know when you're doing single arm DB curls, and you're about to hit failure, so you reach down with the other arm and help nudge your working arm through those last few reps? This is just like that for calves, except it's EVERY rep, start to finish.

Finish the set with some light regular reps.

So, ONE set of ten might look like:

Left, Right, Left, Right, L, R, L, R, L, R, L, R, L, R, L, R, Both, Both, Both, Both, Both, Both, Both, Both, Both, Both.

CCBentz3....I like it the idea of that. I as well have very stubborn calves. I've actually been starting my leg days with calves right off the rip to spike some gains. I'll have to try this next leg day.

Jay Nera
03-30-17, 11:44 pm
Good idea.

Rex
04-14-17, 6:32 pm
Makes sense. I like the idea. Iīll give it a try

Jay Nera
04-30-17, 12:55 am
Calves getting bigger on this anyone? I don't have anything to train my calves like this at my gym sooo.. curious if anyone else has tried this yet.

Rex
05-07-17, 10:18 am
Calves getting bigger on this anyone? I don't have anything to train my calves like this at my gym sooo.. curious if anyone else has tried this yet.

I have tried it. I like it.
But itīs too early to say that it has made a significant impact

Jay Nera
08-31-17, 12:57 am
I have tried it. I like it.
But itīs too early to say that it has made a significant impact

Calves are also one thing that scares me because I tore mine awhile back and couldnt walk to 6 weeks. So ill let other people tell me about it. haha

Rex
09-05-17, 8:21 pm
Calves are also one thing that scares me because I tore mine awhile back and couldnt walk to 6 weeks. So ill let other people tell me about it. haha

You never trained calves after the injury?

Jay Nera
11-22-17, 2:16 am
You never trained calves after the injury?

I did a little bit...200 raises before i jump in bed while i brush my teeth.

Its going to sound crazybut ive neglected my calves for years.
When I was a basketball player and could jump through the roof i'd train in strength shoes, do plyos, walk to school on the balls of my feet. And doing all of the plyos and speed work when I played football...I've always have huge strong calves.... When I was bobsledding i could box jump onto anything under my chin...60 inch box was my best. I used to jump onto the roof of my shitty cavalier like a show off douchebag..... and then once I got into powerlifting, as my knees got beat up, i slowly stepped away from box jumps, which I used to always do after squatting.... not i have baby calves. weak puny baby calves.

I've starting skipping again though, and walking on an incline ...maybe add some easy smooth agility work in the future... who knows. I definitely dont think i can ever work trianing calves into the picture. ..... its probably the most boring thing i could do in a gym..... hence why we come full circle... small puny calves.