PDA

View Full Version : Switching from conv. to sumo DL

MRmichael.hooker
04-26-17, 1:46 pm
So I've been reading a lot and trying to research a lot, and I know there isn't a perfect answer to my question, but how do you decide when to make a switch from conventional pulling to sumo? I know it's a lot about someone's structure and their strengths vs weaknesses. I've pulled conventional my entire lifting life. I've been able to hit low 600s conventional, so it's not a WEAK movement, per say. I'd be worried to switch to sumo and basically start over again and stop in the middle of making progress like I am now, BUT I'd be intrigued to see if I'm stronger at sumo. Is it just something I have to bite the bullet on and go for to see? I'd just hate to mess up any progress I'm already making on conventional if sumo didn't really fit me.

Pete Rubish
04-27-17, 7:35 pm
Can you film a set of 405 or so on both and put them up here? I can take a look and give you my thoughts. I dont' think anything less than 405 would give us a good enough idea of how your form is going to look with heavy weight.

MRmichael.hooker
04-28-17, 9:06 am
Can you film a set of 405 or so on both and put them up here? I can take a look and give you my thoughts. I dont' think anything less than 405 would give us a good enough idea of how your form is going to look with heavy weight.

Will do. Should I attempt 405 on sumo if I've never pulled sumo before? Guessing I should be able to pull around that much anyways?

Jay Nera
04-30-17, 12:32 am
Will do. Should I attempt 405 on sumo if I've never pulled sumo before? Guessing I should be able to pull around that much anyways?

I think Pete was assuming you know how to pull sumo.
The point is that with too light of weights it'll be hard to see where things might break down. But you should at least have some of the basics covered before you start to pull sumo. Check out the Big on Basics videos if you need help.

Aggression
04-30-17, 3:30 pm

Not to thread hjiack, but I may take you up on that.

Nmowery
05-01-17, 2:31 pm
I feel like you might be totally over-thinking this whole thing...just load up a bar and give it a go! I don't much like pulling sumo myself, but I'll throw in a few sets of it every now and then just for the variety. It definitely lets me know where weaker areas are in relation to pulling with a narrow stance.