PDA

View Full Version : Cluster sets, anyone?

Nmowery
05-26-17, 8:03 pm
So...these are one of those things I've heard of plenty of times, but never really tried...then recently one day I started messing with them, typically with uni-lateral movements - 1 arm curls, rows, lateral raises, etc. The way I've been doing it is to pick a weight I can hit for around 10 reps, but only do it for 6 reps per side. There's no rest period between sets other than the time that 1 limb is resting while the other works. As soon as I can barely or not get to 6, I'll drop the reps to 3. I've been pretty amazed at how many triples you can bust out on curls and leg extensions and the like just from getting a few seconds of rest.

I've found that this a super brutal way to finish off a certain body part, and allows for more volume that a regular set would. Obviously, if you bust out 6/6/3/3/3 for a weight you'd normally hit for sets of 10, you just doubled your reps over a single set. With some lifts I can sometimes get 5 or 6 triples in there and really kill my shit.

Anyone else mess with these much, or have any other ways to implement them into training? I'm sure I can't be the only person on here who messes with these...

Jay Nera
05-29-17, 12:46 am
So...these are one of those things I've heard of plenty of times, but never really tried...then recently one day I started messing with them, typically with uni-lateral movements - 1 arm curls, rows, lateral raises, etc. The way I've been doing it is to pick a weight I can hit for around 10 reps, but only do it for 6 reps per side. There's no rest period between sets other than the time that 1 limb is resting while the other works. As soon as I can barely or not get to 6, I'll drop the reps to 3. I've been pretty amazed at how many triples you can bust out on curls and leg extensions and the like just from getting a few seconds of rest.

I've found that this a super brutal way to finish off a certain body part, and allows for more volume that a regular set would. Obviously, if you bust out 6/6/3/3/3 for a weight you'd normally hit for sets of 10, you just doubled your reps over a single set. With some lifts I can sometimes get 5 or 6 triples in there and really kill my shit.

Anyone else mess with these much, or have any other ways to implement them into training? I'm sure I can't be the only person on here who messes with these...

I like doing these types of things for what I call my 'pump up day'. basically, an arms and shoulders day that I limit to forty minutes. I do something similar, I group exercises into mini circuits and pick my rep ranges according to the exercise and ambition. I give myself mini AMRAPS (as many rounds as possible) of each circuit. i do this instead of changing the reps, i simply see if i can do more sets in the same amount of time. its basically escalated density training EDT.