PDA

View Full Version : Water cut strategies for powerlifting

anj
08-14-17, 11:34 am
As a powerlifter who is an advocate of 24 hour weigh-ins, I was curious what you guys to do to cut water weight during meet week. For example, do you guys prefer sodium or carb manipulation, sweating or spitting, or a combination of these?

Personally I usually cut sodium a few days before the weigh-in, while still keeping water intake high, then cut the water a day or two before weigh-ins. I lose a lot of water whenever I take hot Epsom salt baths, so a few baths the day before weigh-ins is usually all that's needed to cut the remaining weight. ...but of course laxatives always help too.

I know everyone has his own personal preference depending on body type and how much weight you need to lose, but since so many of the powerlifters on this forum are world record holders or competing at the elite level, I am assuming that most of you have endured some grueling weight cuts to be as competitive as possible. I'd love to hear how you guys approach this.

Rex
08-14-17, 5:07 pm
Iīm not a powerlifter but cutting sodium out doesnīt seem like a good strategy when maximum strength is the contest.

ChrisTuttle
08-14-17, 7:11 pm
Iīm not a powerlifter but cutting sodium out doesnīt seem like a good strategy when maximum strength is the contest.

I would agree! I cannot wait to hear what power lifters do to make weight. Very interested

I know all about cutting weight for a BB show but that is it!

LayzieBone085
08-14-17, 7:39 pm

This... Perfect way to really shut down your nutrient transportation. Could lead to bad diziness and cramping. Nothing you want at all. Sodium is essential our body needs it to function and transport our micronutrients and vitamins/minerals. Cut it and bad things happen.

Nmowery
08-16-17, 3:14 pm
I've competed twice, and manipulated water/sodium both times, and was able to be rehydrated and make all my lifts on meet day. That said...doing that shit will only get you so far, and the dizziness and cramping are definitely a real thing. I would never do that without the benefit of weighing in the day before.

ChrisTuttle
08-16-17, 6:46 pm
I've competed twice, and manipulated water/sodium both times, and was able to be rehydrated and make all my lifts on meet day. That said...doing that shit will only get you so far, and the dizziness and cramping are definitely a real thing. I would never do that without the benefit of weighing in the day before.

Good point! Day before is key! Day of def comes with more risk!

Nmowery
08-16-17, 9:06 pm
Last meet I did, I was 257 on Sunday night. Spent a few days loading up sodium/water, then cut sodium Wednesday, cut out all carbs Thursday, and cut water Friday morning. By noon Friday I was about 247. Hit the sauna for the last 5 lb, but that sucked. The only good scale at my gym is 2 flights of stairs from the sauna, and I definitely was cramping just walking up. But...as soon as I stepped off the scale I was chugging Gatorades, and ate a whole bag of pork rinds on the way home. By that night I was back to 250, and was about 253-4 by the time I was going to lift.

N. Motta
08-17-17, 10:32 am
Seeing as how the state record's for the two weight classes that are around my bodyweight are close to 400 pounds above what I can total, I don't give a rat's ass about cutting any weight, hahaha. I just go to challenge myself and try to PR. Frankly, I'm not going to be competitive enough to go through any trouble of a water cut. So for me, and in my opinion; other's like me, it would be a very stupid thing to do.

Rex
08-17-17, 10:51 am
I would agree! I cannot wait to hear what power lifters do to make weight. Very interested

I know all about cutting weight for a BB show but that is it!

Me, too.
Thank god no one cares about how we feel or perform strength wise on contest day.

Rex
08-17-17, 10:52 am
This... Perfect way to really shut down your nutrient transportation. Could lead to bad diziness and cramping. Nothing you want at all. Sodium is essential our body needs it to function and transport our micronutrients and vitamins/minerals. Cut it and bad things happen.

Jep... I know all about that... haha

ChrisTuttle
08-19-17, 6:29 pm
Last meet I did, I was 257 on Sunday night. Spent a few days loading up sodium/water, then cut sodium Wednesday, cut out all carbs Thursday, and cut water Friday morning. By noon Friday I was about 247. Hit the sauna for the last 5 lb, but that sucked. The only good scale at my gym is 2 flights of stairs from the sauna, and I definitely was cramping just walking up. But...as soon as I stepped off the scale I was chugging Gatorades, and ate a whole bag of pork rinds on the way home. By that night I was back to 250, and was about 253-4 by the time I was going to lift.

How did you perform? I take it you have done that a few times?

ChrisTuttle
08-19-17, 6:30 pm
Me, too.
Thank god no one cares about how we feel or perform strength wise on contest day.

yeah right!

Rex
08-20-17, 10:58 am
yeah right!

You probably didnīt feel too fresh after your sauna drying out treatments. Huh?

Nmowery
08-20-17, 4:23 pm
How did you perform? I take it you have done that a few times?

I've done 2 meets, and used this approach both times. First time I cut from around 252-253, so it was much easier than this last time. I went 6/6 my first meet, and hit my goals on each 3rd attempt. Last time out, in April, I did deadlift only and went 3/3, again hitting my goal on my 3rd.

For my next meet in november, I'm trying to keep my weight closer to 242 to make the cut easier. it'll be my first time doing a full meet, and I feel like adding squats into the mix after cutting 15+ lbs would just be too much. I can't even grasp how some guys cut 20-30 lbs heading into a meet...

ChrisTuttle
08-21-17, 6:05 pm
You probably didnīt feel too fresh after your sauna drying out treatments. Huh?

I could hardly squat my own body weight at nationals after losing 16 lbs in 30 hours

ChrisTuttle
08-21-17, 6:06 pm
I've done 2 meets, and used this approach both times. First time I cut from around 252-253, so it was much easier than this last time. I went 6/6 my first meet, and hit my goals on each 3rd attempt. Last time out, in April, I did deadlift only and went 3/3, again hitting my goal on my 3rd.

For my next meet in november, I'm trying to keep my weight closer to 242 to make the cut easier. it'll be my first time doing a full meet, and I feel like adding squats into the mix after cutting 15+ lbs would just be too much. I can't even grasp how some guys cut 20-30 lbs heading into a meet...

yeah a few lbs is reasonable and safer. 20-30lbs is nuts!!!!!! I do not know how they do that and still perform!

N. Motta
08-21-17, 8:41 pm
Dan Green comes to mind. How in the hell that muscle hamster has cut down to 220 is beyond me.

ChrisTuttle
08-23-17, 5:36 pm
Dan Green comes to mind. How in the hell that muscle hamster has cut down to 220 is beyond me.

HAAH right! Muscle Hamster? HAHAHH

Jay Nera
08-29-17, 12:08 pm

Muscle hamster? lol.

Thats a new one.

Yeah, his cuts are very aggressive and he still manages to perform well.

ChrisTuttle
08-30-17, 6:50 pm
Muscle hamster? lol.

Thats a new one.

Yeah, his cuts are very aggressive and he still manages to perform well.

Would love to know his protocol for cutting weight and still being able to perform.

Rex
09-04-17, 12:21 pm
I could hardly squat my own body weight at nationals after losing 16 lbs in 30 hours

Dude, my morning dump makes me lose 16lbs in 10 minutes every day.

npcdusty
09-07-17, 11:14 am
It def shows the level of a great Pro and how he knows his body and what does what to make it work. Same with Rex and Tuttle, it has taken these guys years and years to get where they are and what they have learned about themselves and yet none of them will say its perfect or easy... Props to the pros for sure!

ChrisTuttle
09-07-17, 7:02 pm
Dude, my morning dump makes me lose 16lbs in 10 minutes every day.

HAHAHAH holy shit! Got a power toilet? HAHAH

Rex
09-09-17, 1:06 pm
It def shows the level of a great Pro and how he knows his body and what does what to make it work. Same with Rex and Tuttle, it has taken these guys years and years to get where they are and what they have learned about themselves and yet none of them will say its perfect or easy... Props to the pros for sure!

Thanks, brother.

Rex
09-09-17, 1:06 pm
HAHAHAH holy shit! Got a power toilet? HAHAH

Everything is power in Germany.

ChrisTuttle
09-12-17, 7:42 pm

Thanks and that is for sure! Def not perfect and not easy even if I had to do it all over again.

Aggression
09-13-17, 2:20 pm
Seeing as how the state record's for the two weight classes that are around my bodyweight are close to 400 pounds above what I can total, I don't give a rat's ass about cutting any weight, hahaha. I just go to challenge myself and try to PR. Frankly, I'm not going to be competitive enough to go through any trouble of a water cut. So for me, and in my opinion; other's like me, it would be a very stupid thing to do.

I agree here. If you're not a Dan Green or gunning for a state/national/world record, then I wouldn't worry too much about cutting for a weight class. The last two meets I've done, I've been in the 242lb weight class and weighed in at 225-230. Gunning for a record? That's a different story and I'd take advice from some of the guys on here. And good luck.

Nmowery
09-13-17, 4:33 pm
This thread about had me convinced not to cut weight for my next meet

Then I took a peek, and saw that the USPA state record for 242 is 12 lb under the total I was going for...kind of a bittersweet moment lol

Aggression
09-13-17, 5:20 pm
This thread about had me convinced not to cut weight for my next meet

Then I took a peek, and saw that the USPA state record for 242 is 12 lb under the total I was going for...kind of a bittersweet moment lol

Haha. If that's the case, I'd cut down.

Nmowery
09-13-17, 6:12 pm
After I made that post, I looked again, and saw the 275 record is somehow even lower! So...I could get fatter, not cut, and have an easier crack at it. But...I like a challenge, and am chunky enough as is, so gonna stick with 242.

Aggression
09-14-17, 9:30 am
After I made that post, I looked again, and saw the 275 record is somehow even lower! So...I could get fatter, not cut, and have an easier crack at it. But...I like a challenge, and am chunky enough as is, so gonna stick with 242.

Good for you. If it were me, id be on my way to the food store for cookies and ice cream haha.