PDA

View Full Version : Derek Lunsford's Q/A Thread

Animal
08-24-17, 4:49 pm
Where you can ask the newest Animal Athlete and IFBB Pro, Derek "Apex" Lunsford any question about training, diet and living.

Derek Lunsford
08-24-17, 4:53 pm
Let's get the questions and comments rolling! Who will be the first?!

Animal
08-24-17, 4:53 pm
My first question. I know you said you wanted to compete in the Olympia someday. Are you surprised how quickly it happened?

Derek Lunsford
08-24-17, 5:14 pm
My first question. I know you said you wanted to compete in the Olympia someday. Are you surprised how quickly it happened?

Good question. I always knew how hard I was willing to work, how consistent I would be, and the potential God gave me to be great at bodybuilding. I've envisioned myself to compete against the best since day one. And I mean that wholeheartedly. I 100% believed in myself from the moment I spoke about being a bodybuilder. To actually be going to the Olympia is still processing in my brain. The workouts are still the same. The diet is always on point. Nothing has changed but the shows I'm competing in and who I will be standing next to on stage. On one hand, I've always been very confident. On the other hand, the reality is unbelievable. I'm humbled and grateful to be given this opportunity to step on the greatest bodybuilding stage in the world! To directly answer your question.. yes, I'm taken back by how fast things are happening. I will not take it for granted and always appreciate the big and the small things in the process. The support given to me by others has kept my focus at an all time high.

G-Six
08-24-17, 5:23 pm
When stripping down for a show, do you find that slowly lower carbs week by week works better or carb cycling is more effective?

G-Six
08-24-17, 5:24 pm
I use CJ's posing trunks. I noticed that you use Muscle Potential. Do you like these compared to other brands and why? I'm worried a lot of trunks don't display my glutes adequately

austria_fellow
08-24-17, 6:19 pm
Hey Derek,

im currently 3 weeks out to my first show and been dieting the whole summer ... so the cravings are real.
How do you handle your cheats post show?

Im competing saturday and sunday, have a fotoshoot on monday. I planned to treat myself with everything I want untill wednesday and on thursday I will cut back the kcal and start my reverse diet.

3 days should be ok or what do you think?

greetings from europe :-)

Derek Lunsford
08-24-17, 6:20 pm
When stripping down for a show, do you find that slowly lower carbs week by week works better or carb cycling is more effective?

Carbs carbs carbs... probably the most talked about in all of dieting. I believe they are both effective for most individuals. Disclaimer: Everyone's body reacts differently. Typically, you would start with a higher amount of carbs and overall calories and gradually lower them as the show grows closer. Saving the "carb cycling" to the end is what I would most likely suggest (generally speaking). That said, I don't always "carb cycle". My food stays very much consistent week to week, day to day. I may implement more or less carbs depending on how my body looks. The best thing I can tell you is to keep EVERYTHING consistently the same on a daily basis. Consistency is key to make changes AS NEEDED. Follow the plan that works best for YOUR body. Good question!

Derek Lunsford
08-24-17, 6:24 pm
I use CJ's posing trunks. I noticed that you use Muscle Potential. Do you like these compared to other brands and why? I'm worried a lot of trunks don't display my glutes adequately

I've used both CJ and Muscle Potential. Both are great quality. If you notice, the cut is slightly different. The Muscle Potential suit I used this competition season was cut much deeper and fabric was much thinner than what I used last year by CJ. I was very happy with both pair of suits. This year I just wanted to try something new. CJ is great! Muscle Potential is great!

Derek Lunsford
08-24-17, 6:32 pm
Hey Derek,

im currently 3 weeks out to my first show and been dieting the whole summer ... so the cravings are real.
How do you handle your cheats post show?

Im competing saturday and sunday, have a fotoshoot on monday. I planned to treat myself with everything I want untill wednesday and on thursday I will cut back the kcal and start my reverse diet.

3 days should be ok or what do you think?

greetings from europe :-)

Great question! I would NOT recommend you binge for 3-4 days straight after a competition!! Best bet is to enjoy a meal the night of the show and have a decent breakfast the morning after. Even the morning breakfast I like to keep fairly "clean". You have to think... You were in a huge deficit for weeks leading up to the show. Your body will respond highly to very little food you put into it, especially once hydrated after the show. So when you "load" for the show as you're dehydrated, your body is sucking up everything it can to fill out as much as possible. After the show, you will hydrate and then your body really starts to take notice. So let's say you continue on and binge that night. You were already filled out completely before that night and now you are shoving even more into your body. The next morning, same thing. You eat like a mad man because your brain says, "give me everything in sight to eat... especially sweets!" Again, you're body doesn't necessarily need the additional food, but you keep pushing. Now, take that times 3-4 more days and your really setting yourself up to rebound badly. Not to mention, are you planning on implementing cardio? I highly suggest you do! Best of luck to you in your competition! Enjoy yourself and quickly get back on the low cal/low carb diet and cardio and slowly implement more food back into your plan and slowly reduce cardio. If you're like me, training isn't easy to give up, so I assume you'll still be training hard that week.

austria_fellow
08-25-17, 3:25 am
yea I plan on doing cardio on a daily post show as well as hitting the gym.
lets say the last 2 weeks before the show my kcals are around 2300, should i start the reverse diet at like 2600 and see how things change?

how fast should I move the kcals up and how much weight gain / week should be ok after the show?

I just never been down to such a low bodyfat so I really don´t know whats considered to be the perfect weight gain after a show, I mean after the rebound hits me... like 0.5 kg / week?

I know guys that gain like 15 kg 2 weeks after their show, this would be like 45 pounds I guess.

BornReady95
08-25-17, 9:42 am
Based on your experience, what advice would you give a 22 year old aspiring to turn pro bodybuilder, in terms or consistent progress and longevity?

Derek Lunsford
08-25-17, 2:09 pm
yea I plan on doing cardio on a daily post show as well as hitting the gym.
lets say the last 2 weeks before the show my kcals are around 2300, should i start the reverse diet at like 2600 and see how things change?

how fast should I move the kcals up and how much weight gain / week should be ok after the show?

I just never been down to such a low bodyfat so I really don´t know whats considered to be the perfect weight gain after a show, I mean after the rebound hits me... like 0.5 kg / week?

I know guys that gain like 15 kg 2 weeks after their show, this would be like 45 pounds I guess.

To give you an exact answer to how much weight is acceptable to gain while staying lean would give you false guidance. Everyone is different. You have to understand that inter-cellular water retention will occur, causing weight gain immediately. Also, how lean you are determines a lot of things too. To give you a vague answer, I like to go completely back on my original diet I was following prior to the show. The lowest carb/calorie intake possible. Maybe even lay off carbs completely for a few days or a week. Continue cardio. As you see fit, begin implementing a small amount (25-50g) carbs per week roughly. Remember, carbs do not build muscle. Carbs may fill out glycogen in the muscle, but primarily provide energy. Healthy fat and protein builds muscle. So I would recommend you increase the healthy fats first. This will also help control appetite.

Derek Lunsford
08-25-17, 2:14 pm
Based on your experience, what advice would you give a 22 year old aspiring to turn pro bodybuilder, in terms or consistent progress and longevity?

Be confident, have faith, work your butt off consistently every day, "every day is a great day to get better"! That said, be sure you are really ready to become a "PROFESSIONAL BODYBUILDER"!! First, determine what makes you believe you want to be a professional bodybuilder and what it means to you. Then ask yourself, "If I turn professional, what's next?" Some people have different reasons for wanting to turn pro. My reason is to be a competitive athlete. Others may just want IFBB behind their name. It's a responsibility you automatically assume when you earn this title. Be sure you are ready. Best of luck to you!

Animal
08-25-17, 2:21 pm
Good question. I always knew how hard I was willing to work, how consistent I would be, and the potential God gave me to be great at bodybuilding. I've envisioned myself to compete against the best since day one. And I mean that wholeheartedly. I 100% believed in myself from the moment I spoke about being a bodybuilder. To actually be going to the Olympia is still processing in my brain. The workouts are still the same. The diet is always on point. Nothing has changed but the shows I'm competing in and who I will be standing next to on stage. On one hand, I've always been very confident. On the other hand, the reality is unbelievable. I'm humbled and grateful to be given this opportunity to step on the greatest bodybuilding stage in the world! To directly answer your question.. yes, I'm taken back by how fast things are happening. I will not take it for granted and always appreciate the big and the small things in the process. The support given to me by others has kept my focus at an all time high.

Our willingness to work hard and make sacrifices are variables we control. Some dial it in and ramp it up while others look the other way. You have, no doubt, a solid work ethic and your success has proven that. But you are also right–once you start taking things for granted, the fire dims. Once you've competed on the biggest stage, what's left and how do you continue to find motivation to push forward?

Derek Lunsford
08-26-17, 3:38 pm
Our willingness to work hard and make sacrifices are variables we control. Some dial it in and ramp it up while others look the other way. You have, no doubt, a solid work ethic and your success has proven that. But you are also right–once you start taking things for granted, the fire dims. Once you've competed on the biggest stage, what's left and how do you continue to find motivation to push forward?

For many, this may be true. I've yet to step on the Olympia stage (still have a couple weeks to go), but I can only imagine that my mindset will strengthen. My mindset hasn't changed for any competition. I'm just as hungry to be at my best from the first competition. My nerves have calmed and confidence is lifted from each competition. The motivation comes not by selfish action. If it was all about me winning a competition, then yes, I would likely become less hungry to better myself. I have WAY too many reason for why I body build that I could write a novel, or two, or three. haha The biggest motivation comes from those who support me, look up to me, and expect nothing but the best from me. Win, lose, or draw... I win when others win. I mean that in many different forms/fashions. If I can inspire someone, I win. If I can brighten someone's day, I win. If I motivate someone to better themselves and do the right thing, I win. If I place first in a competition, I win. And the list goes on and on. The Olympia is an honor that I will never take for granted. As Jay Cutler once said, it's not about how many titles you win. It's about the fashion you win it in. I have taken that to heart and am sure to be more than a bodybuilder. I consider myself a role model over simply a bodybuilder. It has come through bodybuilding that I'm able to be a role model. That is why the flame will never die out.

Animal
08-29-17, 10:05 am
For many, this may be true. I've yet to step on the Olympia stage (still have a couple weeks to go), but I can only imagine that my mindset will strengthen. My mindset hasn't changed for any competition. I'm just as hungry to be at my best from the first competition. My nerves have calmed and confidence is lifted from each competition. The motivation comes not by selfish action. If it was all about me winning a competition, then yes, I would likely become less hungry to better myself. I have WAY too many reason for why I body build that I could write a novel, or two, or three. haha The biggest motivation comes from those who support me, look up to me, and expect nothing but the best from me. Win, lose, or draw... I win when others win. I mean that in many different forms/fashions. If I can inspire someone, I win. If I can brighten someone's day, I win. If I motivate someone to better themselves and do the right thing, I win. If I place first in a competition, I win. And the list goes on and on. The Olympia is an honor that I will never take for granted. As Jay Cutler once said, it's not about how many titles you win. It's about the fashion you win it in. I have taken that to heart and am sure to be more than a bodybuilder. I consider myself a role model over simply a bodybuilder. It has come through bodybuilding that I'm able to be a role model. That is why the flame will never die out.

Can't argue with anything you've said.

Derek Lunsford
08-29-17, 2:47 pm
We are coming up on 2 weeks out from the Olympia competition and I'm feeling super excited! The last couple weeks have been tough, not going to lie, but it's what it takes to be at the top! Time to strap on the big boy boots and grind it out!! We are working it out for me to be at the Animal booth Friday and Saturday of the competition weekend. I'll keep everyone posted on here when things are finalized.

Derek Lunsford
08-31-17, 10:39 am
With school back in session, how many of you are ready to hit the weights as hard as you do the books? When I was going to college is when I found my true love for bodybuilding. I made sure to never skip a training session as if it were just like a homework assignment. That being said, it's Thursday. And all college students know that Thursday is "Thirsty Thursday!" So what preworkout flavor FURY is your favorite? Green apple and lemonade are my go to!!

Derek Lunsford
09-02-17, 9:47 pm
Just finished another brutal leg day! Feeling pumped and ready for the Olympia!! Training, diet, cardio, mental focus... everything is on point to be at my best. Can't wait to see you guys there!

Derek Lunsford
09-03-17, 10:53 pm
Today was my "rest" day from training. Still got in both cardio sessions. Took advantage of my time by driving 2 hours to see my massage therapist. He put the hurt on me, but it's necessary for me to be at my best. I highly recommend any bodybuilder or avid weight lifter to get deep tissue and chiropractic work done frequently. It makes a world of difference in performance and prevents injury.

Derek Lunsford
09-04-17, 2:45 pm
International CHEST DAY for most! What are you training today?

Derek Lunsford
09-05-17, 9:27 pm
Tuesdays are typically my BACK TRAINING days. You know what they say, "Bodybuilding is won from the back!" haha I wouldn't take this fully to heart, but I am sure not going to have a weak back!! Needless to say.. with the Olympia in a week and a half.. we CRUSHED IT!!

npcdusty
09-06-17, 3:05 pm
hope the prep is going well for you. Enjoying your thread. Good luck with the next week and half! Enjoy the O for sure!!!!

Derek Lunsford
09-10-17, 6:26 pm
hope the prep is going well for you. Enjoying your thread. Good luck with the next week and half! Enjoy the O for sure!!!!

Thank you! Pushing harder every day through the show!!

Derek Lunsford
09-10-17, 6:26 pm
About to smash my last leg workout before the Mr Olympia competition! Let's get it!!

Derek Lunsford
09-11-17, 12:17 pm
"If you believe it, you can achieve it. If you dream it, you can become it!"
A motivational quote I've lived by my whole life! 4 and 5 days away from prejudging/finals of the 2017 Mr Olympia competition... I couldn't be any more excited to show you guys all the hard work we've put in this entire year!

npcdusty
09-18-17, 10:37 am
Congrats Derek Lunsford on the top 5 finish. Hell of a package you put together this year. Man the guys ahead of you better watch out once you get rested and have the time to really step in there. Best of luck this coming year!!!

ChrisTuttle
09-20-17, 3:15 pm
Congrats again brother on all your success! Looking forward to meeting you!

Derek Lunsford
09-23-17, 11:56 am
Congrats Derek Lunsford on the top 5 finish. Hell of a package you put together this year. Man the guys ahead of you better watch out once you get rested and have the time to really step in there. Best of luck this coming year!!!

Thank you! I can only do my best and that's exactly what I did. I felt I brought my best package that I possibly could have for this show this year. Only improving from here forward!!

Derek Lunsford
09-23-17, 11:57 am
Congrats again brother on all your success! Looking forward to meeting you!

Thank you man! Same here. Look forward to meeting you and learning a thing or two from you.

ChrisTuttle
09-25-17, 6:21 pm
Thank you man! Same here. Look forward to meeting you and learning a thing or two from you.

Bang out a training sesh at Universal Gym!

npcdusty
09-29-17, 10:10 am
Awesome interview with npc online and the awesome words from Flex Lewis. Def look like the future bud!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTWY5tmPgXs

Derek Lunsford
10-03-17, 9:12 pm
Bang out a training sesh at Universal Gym!

Absolutely man! Looking forward to BA workout. That gym is legit!!

Derek Lunsford
10-03-17, 9:13 pm
Awesome interview with npc online and the awesome words from Flex Lewis. Def look like the future bud!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTWY5tmPgXs

I appreciate that man! It was a blast being on stage, sharing words of wisdom, and just plain joking around with these guys.

MRmichael.hooker
10-03-17, 9:21 pm
How was it going from NPC to competing with Flex Lewis on the Olympia stage that quickly? Gotta be a pretty cool and surreal feeling considering most guys dream of getting even 1 shot on the O stage. You're crushing it man

NJPhysique
10-04-17, 8:04 am
Wonder Boy? Is that your official Animal name? It was nice meeting you at the Animal Olympia booth. Phenomenal season!!!

Derek Lunsford
10-09-17, 2:14 pm
Wonder Boy? Is that your official Animal name? It was nice meeting you at the Animal Olympia booth. Phenomenal season!!!

Haha NO! It was a nickname others were calling me and we used it temporarily. Was good to meet you too!

Derek Lunsford
10-09-17, 2:16 pm
How was it going from NPC to competing with Flex Lewis on the Olympia stage that quickly? Gotta be a pretty cool and surreal feeling considering most guys dream of getting even 1 shot on the O stage. You're crushing it man

It was definitely a dream come true. On the same note, I've always been focused, driven, and willing to do whatever it took to be at the top guy's level. I have and always had faith in myself. But yes. It was an incredible experience and I definitely did not take it for granted!

Derek Lunsford
10-12-17, 9:19 pm
Took yesterday as a rest day because I woke up with some stomach sickness. Not sure if it was food poisoning or what. I hate taking rest days that aren't scheduled, but sometimes it's necessary. So today I made up my leg workout and it was probably the best leg workout I've had in several weeks. Feeling much better and still as focused as ever to be better every single day!

Derek Lunsford
10-16-17, 1:37 pm
It's Monday!! Time to get motivated!!
What are you training today? Is it chest day like most.. or do you have another strategy to make your gains?!

MRmichael.hooker
10-16-17, 2:48 pm
It's Monday!! Time to get motivated!!
What are you training today? Is it chest day like most.. or do you have another strategy to make your gains?!

Squats/legs. If everyone is benching, the squat racks should be nice and empty

MRmichael.hooker
10-16-17, 10:03 pm
YO, are you from Indiana?

Derek Lunsford
10-23-17, 11:23 pm
Squats/legs. If everyone is benching, the squat racks should be nice and empty

True, true!

Derek Lunsford
10-23-17, 11:24 pm
YO, are you from Indiana?

Yep! Good ole' Indiana born and raised.

MRmichael.hooker
10-24-17, 7:46 am
Yep! Good ole' Indiana born and raised.

Where at? I was born in Indy and lived around that area (Fishers, Carmel, Noblesville) and still go visit Fort Wayne 1-2x a year to see family

Derek Lunsford
10-24-17, 2:39 pm
Where at? I was born in Indy and lived around that area (Fishers, Carmel, Noblesville) and still go visit Fort Wayne 1-2x a year to see family

Terre Haute, IN is where I live currently. Noblesville is where I go for my massage therapy.

MRmichael.hooker
10-25-17, 8:06 am
Terre Haute, IN is where I live currently. Noblesville is where I go for my massage therapy.

That's cool man. Yup I've been through Terre Haute many times. Usually now when I go home, I'll go to Noblesville for a day and then I'll spend the rest of the week or so up in Fort Wayne. Always love going home. Need to head to Indy and check out that new Manning statue lol

Derek Lunsford
10-25-17, 3:21 pm
That's cool man. Yup I've been through Terre Haute many times. Usually now when I go home, I'll go to Noblesville for a day and then I'll spend the rest of the week or so up in Fort Wayne. Always love going home. Need to head to Indy and check out that new Manning statue lol

For sure! There are a lot of cool gyms in Indy. I occasionally go up there and train with some friends. And if you ever make it to Bloomington, IN there's a gym there called the Iron Pit which is pretty hard core.

MRmichael.hooker
10-25-17, 4:06 pm
For sure! There are a lot of cool gyms in Indy. I occasionally go up there and train with some friends. And if you ever make it to Bloomington, IN there's a gym there called the Iron Pit which is pretty hard core.

If I'm ever in Bloomington.... Guess I should have said GO HOOSIERS! lol

AKINETON
12-21-17, 2:37 pm
Excellent, clear, no bs, down to earth video... Reminds me some of the first ones by Evan Centopani (e.g. The Process).

John Kiefer (the "keto scientist" with a PhD in physics) said some time ago that it is possible to be in ketosis while still having some carbs, but that "it is a form of art" (namely, it is not easy). This diet (yours) usually works well for me, at least until a certain point (both uncanny an cool to see somebody else doing it verbatim, by the way).
I still have one variable to be ironed out though... So here's a simple question:

Would you eat those 50gr. of carbs on NON-TRAINING days too?

Derek Lunsford
01-11-18, 12:15 pm
Excellent, clear, no bs, down to earth video... Reminds me some of the first ones by Evan Centopani (e.g. The Process).

John Kiefer (the "keto scientist" with a PhD in physics) said some time ago that it is possible to be in ketosis while still having some carbs, but that "it is a form of art" (namely, it is not easy). This diet (yours) usually works well for me, at least until a certain point (both uncanny an cool to see somebody else doing it verbatim, by the way).
I still have one variable to be ironed out though... So here's a simple question:

Would you eat those 50gr. of carbs on NON-TRAINING days too?

I'm glad you enjoyed the video! Thanks for watching.

On non-training days I typically exclude all carbs (that's if I'm pre contest). You'll be super hungry, especially if you had a refeed the night before, but there's really no use in having them in there if you aren't training (again, pre contest). Off season things are different. I keep carbs in on the daily.

Nmowery
01-11-18, 1:31 pm
Damn, look at all the Indiana peoples representing...I was born/raised in CA, but have lived in Indiana for 13 of the last 16 years. I’m in Richmond though, clear on the other side of the state.

AKINETON
01-12-18, 9:06 pm
That makes sense. Thanks Derek! And keep up the good work!!

I'm glad you enjoyed the video! Thanks for watching.

On non-training days I typically exclude all carbs (that's if I'm pre contest). You'll be super hungry, especially if you had a refeed the night before, but there's really no use in having them in there if you aren't training (again, pre contest). Off season things are different. I keep carbs in on the daily.

Fe-MD
06-15-18, 1:19 pm
What does a typical day of eating in the offseason look like for you?

Also, are you big into intra workout nutrition? Do you use things like aminos, carb powders, and other bells and whistles (glycerol, citrulline malate, agmatine, beta alanine, etc)?

Rex
06-16-18, 12:45 pm
What does a typical day of eating in the offseason look like for you?

Also, are you big into intra workout nutrition? Do you use things like aminos, carb powders, and other bells and whistles (glycerol, citrulline malate, agmatine, beta alanine, etc)?

Yes. That would interest me as well.

Rex
06-16-18, 12:45 pm
Also, is BPak doing your diet and training?