PDA

View Full Version : Lou's Road to a better life and a not-so-shit bench.

LouTheDude
08-30-17, 6:38 pm
As the title already suggests,this will be my log for all things training and other stuff that comes to my mind.

A little introduction first and foremost. I am 17 and a half years old,220 pounds and 5'8 (fat manlet of glory).

I actually got into training to impress girls. Yeah,I know,classic. I work out for completely other reasons now,though. To be strong,look good naked,be healthy and generally kick ass.

I've been training for around 2 years now I think. Started out at home doing some freeletics bullshit,that got me in pretty good shape. I was a skinny **** back then,weighing in at less than 90 pounds at about the same height (5'6). I ate a bunch and trained as much and hard as I could under my circumstances,that got me to around 155 pounds when I hit 16. I got my first bench and weight set in summer along with a neat steel pullup bar. The highschool I transfered to has an awesome schoolgym,where I train now. I also have a decently well equipped basement gym.

My best lifts are a 420 (blaze it) low bar squat, 255 pause bench (poverty tier) and 475 conventional deadlift. All without a belt. I don't have a belt or kneesleeves. Just some cheap wrist wraps for 10 bucks and a Rehband elbow sleeve that I don't really use anymore. I used it for my nasty elbow tendonitis when I was still doing the Texas Method and low bar squatting 3 times a week. Bad memories. Bad times.

I am currently running a bastardized version of the Cube Kingpin right now. I drew inspiration from a bunch of programs,coaches and lifters. Namely Cody Lefever and his GZCL method,Chad Wesley Smith and his Juggernaut Method and Juggercube Program,Jim Wendler and 5/3/1,and of course,Brandon Lilly and his Cube Method.

That's pretty much all I got to say right now. Here's to a good time and awesome things to come!

LouTheDude
08-30-17, 6:50 pm
Heavy Bench basement workout from today.

5x1 Comp. Bench @235
10x1 Spoto Press @225
5x2 Close Grip Bench @215
4xMRS (Max Rep Sets) aka AMRAP Band Rows
3xMRS Rolling Triceps Extensions
3xMRS Barbell Curls
4xMRS Band Pushdowns

Overall a decent workout,but I had a nasty headache for no apparent reason during it. Oh well. But as I said,not a bad day at all.

LouTheDude
09-02-17, 6:45 am
Speed Deadlifts yesterday on Friday,went to "Das Gym" with a buddy and had a blast.

6x3 Conv. Deads from the Floor @375
5x2 3'' Block Pulls @385 (first time doing these,I'm actually weaker from blocks than from the floor. Really felt these in the glutes)
3x3 1,5'' Deficit Deadlift @335 (tore my callus,wanted to do a 5x3)

After the main work I was bullshitting around with my buddy and we tried out some new stuff. Both of us tried the slingshot for the first time. We were using a red one. I was going for a max,he was going for a 5RM with a close grip. I was hitting 295 with a pause pretty smoothly,and he went for 315 and got 4 reps. Felt absolutely amazing,have to get myself one of these!

Then we went for some safety squat bar squats and hit up some light weight for a 3x3. First time using this bar,and felt it amazing. Much better than front squats.

After that we did some conditioning work with sandbags and then he was doing some heavy farmers carries and I did some light prowler walks.

After the conditioning work he went for some pullups and I went for some sets (3x10) of grip-less (or whatever it's called) lat pulldowns because of my torn callus.

Overall a solid workout.

LouTheDude
09-02-17, 7:35 am
Yesterday's conditioning work really showed me how out of shape and unfit I actually am. I'm definitely gonna add more GPP and cardio to my routine. I've been thinking of:

3 trips of max distance Farmer's Walks on Monday (Squat day)
3 AMRAPs of light Step Ups on Tuesday (Bench Day)
5 rounds of 3 minutes (total of 15 minutes) of boxing and mobility work on Wednesday (Rest day)
3 sets of Sandbag Carries for distance on Thursday (Deadlift day)
3 sets of Bearhug Carries for distance on Friday (Bodybuilding/OHP day)
30 minutes of brisk walking and mobility work on Saturday (Rest day)
4 hour hiking trip to one of my favourite locations with a quasi-loaded backpack (gotta eat and drink,obviously) on Saturday (this could actually be described as my dedicated cardio day)

It's something which I've been neglecting for way too long,and for absolutely no reason but that I'm a lazy ****. I feel much better when doing some cardio and conditioning work,especially light stuff that just gets me moving and sweating and gets the blood flowing. I sleep much better aswell. I've been having some sleep apnea these last few months due to my weight and shitty conditiong most likely. I feel like if I do something everyday that I can just breathe way better and that my lungs and heart feel...clearer and lighter,if that makes sense.

Well,here's to getting my ass in shape!

LouTheDude
09-03-17, 9:49 am
I hate summer. I much prefer winter and fall. I can't sleep properly because I sweat so much. Sometimes the heat is just disgusting. Yeah,I like swimming,the beach (then again,I've never been to the beach...lol) and ice cream,but it's just not my season.

Been sleeping much better now that it's been raining and cooling off. It's not as bright anymore and the sun doesn't come through as much,so that's a little dampening on the mood. But whatever,I've been feeling much better lately.

One thing I really have to think about is my diet. I don't think I eat particularly unhealthy,but I could make some adjustments.

LouTheDude
09-04-17, 6:27 am
Did an OHP/Bodybuilding Day on Saturday in my basement,good session.

Kneeling OHP (Ceiling is too low to do standing OHP)
135x5
145x3
160x1
135x8
5x10 @110 superset Chin Ups

Accessories:
Lateral Raise 4x15
Bent over lateral raise 4x15
Barbell Curl 3x15,1x10
Hammer Curl 4x10
Band Overhead Extension 4x15 superset 4x15 Band Rows
Band Pushdown 5x20 superset 5x20 band facepulls

Absolute killer workout. Got a great pump and my shoulders and elbows feel great.

LouTheDude
09-04-17, 12:05 pm
Back in the schoolgym. Oh how I missed it in summer break. Awesome bars,awesome racks,awesome weights,awesome deadlift platforms,awesome everything. Back at it again with a kickass squat workout.

High Bar Squats
7x2 @295
8x3 @275

High Bar Pause Squats
8x2 @245

Snatch Grip Deadlift
1x3 @275
3x3 @225

RDL
3x10 @185

Leg Curls superset Lat Pulldowns
3x15

Was a little short on time,but still got all the work done. Kickass workout. Knee was feeling a little wonky though. Might have to work on my ankle mobility and foam roll my legs again.

LouTheDude
09-05-17, 5:56 pm
Comp. Bench
2x4 @230
3x4 @210

Spoto Press
6x3 @200
AMRAP (got 8 reps) @200

CG Bench
2x6 @190
AMRAP (got 7) @190
AMRAP (got 16) @135

Closegrip Seated Rows
4x15 @135

Rolling DB Extensions lying on the floor (one of my favourites besides Tate Presses,they just feel amazing on the elbows) superset Hammer Curls
4x15

Good workout. Not great,but good. Triceps was still a little sore from Sunday and elbows were a little bit achy,but everything felt pretty good. I was training with my brother and he said my wrists bend way back even when wearing wrist wraps. That's something I definitely have to fix.

LouTheDude
09-06-17, 4:44 pm
Was cutting wood all day. Plywood primarily. Cut out eight 20x20 inch boards for 3 inch blocks. Looking amazing. Then I cut out four 15x15 inch (roughly,they're uneven,cut them from the rest of the wood) for 1,5'' blocks. I have also cut a 0.75'' deficit board to go with the 1,5'' deficit board that I've already built a few weeks ago.

Also cut out some boards (don't even know the measurements) for a 2 and 4 board for bench pressing in addition to my 1 and 3 board that I've already built.

The cutting is done,tomorrow I'm going to do some screwing (hah!) and smooting and finish the work.

These are intended to be used in my home gym and the schoolgym. Still gotta ask the teacher (who's an absolute hunk of a man) if they live up to his standards.

LouTheDude
09-09-17, 2:43 pm
Delivered the deadlift blocks and deficit boards to the gym and they're better than I thought.

Conv. Deadlift
2x435

3'' Block Pulls (these just pissed me off...seems like I'm weaker off blocks than off the floor)
1x405
Failed 455
Failed 435
1x405

0,75'' Deficit Deadlifts
2x2 @390 (was supposed to to 5x2,but I ripped my callus,woohoo)

Front Squats
5x5 @165

Barbell Rows
4x10 @195

Overall a not so good workout. Who cares,it's just one session.

LouTheDude
09-09-17, 2:55 pm
Tired as hell BB day. Excrutiatingly grueling and difficult session,but I got the work done.

High Bar Squats
6x5 @235

Standing OHP
1x5 @ 120
1x5 @ 130
1x6 @ 140
1x6 @ 130

3x10 @120 superset 3x8 Chin-Ups

Side Raises
4x15

Bent Over Laterals
4x15

4x15 Overhead Band Extensions superset 4x10 EZ-Bar Curls

4x15+Dropsets Band Pushdowns superset 4x15+Dropsets Hammer Curls

Not a shitty session,but not at all good. Cut the 5x10 short at 3 sets for the OHP and Chin-Ups and just used light weights for the rest of the accessories. Got a good pump with these,at least.

I'm excited for the hiking session on Sunday and the Heavy Squat session on Monday. Gonna recover over the weekend (I'm writing this on Saturday now and I'm already feeling better) and prepare for the squat session. Gonna have a blast.

Note to self; I really need to get my sleep in and keep my lifestress low. I'm just too nervous and stressed out all the time. Eating and sleeping habits are extremely sporadic and should fall back into a more consistent schedule.

LouTheDude
09-11-17, 3:30 pm
Little tired today,but I got all the work in. Hit a shitton of singles and nearly died.

Low Bar Squat
1x3 @315
1x2 @335
1x1 @355
1x1 @360
1x1 @365
1x1 @370
1x1 @385
3x1 @365

High Bar Squat
2x1 @320 (feeling it out,switching from Low Bar to High Bar just like that feels a little awkward)
3x2 @315

High Bar Pause Squat
3x1 @295 (cut these short,I'm just gonna do them on the BB Day)

Hit a few long pause singles with 225 on the bench for shits and giggles.

3x15 Leg Curls superset 3x10 Lat Pulldowns (massive pump in the hamstrings with the leg curls,these feel so much better than machine leg curls)

Overall a really solid workout. Didn't feel so good,but I performed really well. I asked a guy to look at my stance while I was squatting,and it seems like my left foot/leg is a little bit behind my right. Just like my brother said. This results in me shifting my balance a little bit and getting some knee and calf pain. Oh well.

I also missed some RDLs,I'll hit these on the Rep Deadlift day.

LouTheDude
09-12-17, 5:17 pm
Just some benching and a mad triceps pump.

Long Pause Bench
10x1 @225
5x2 @210

Closegrip Spoto Press
8x2 @195

Closegrip Floor Press (haven't done these in a while,they feel quite good on the shoulder and I really feel them in the triceps when pausing each rep with my arms resting on the floor and locking each rep out hard and squeezing the triceps) 6x3 @185 superset Seated Rows @175 6x12-15

Rolling DB Extensions (mad pump from those,my favourite extension right now)
3x12-15 @30 pound dumbells

Kneeling Cable Crossovers (just experimenting,I feel it a little more in my chest kneeling,doesn't feel better in the shoulder though,it actually feels worse than when I'm doing them standing)
3x12-15 @45 pounds

EZ-Bar Curl (weak as shit on those and had to cut them short due to time constraints)
2x10-12 @35 pounds

Overall a really solid workout. Still a little tired and beat up,but nothing a good night of sleep and food can't fix. Elbow hurt quite a bit on the heavier sets of the long pause bench,but that's obvious because the heavy squat session was yesterday,and that's also why I do speed bench after the heavy squat day,because low bar wrecks my elbows. But eh,enough about that. Bench is feeling really good lately. Doing more volume than ever before and the variation is definitely helping me (long pause bench,spoto presses,floor presses,closegrip presses,dumbells,extensions etc). Still only benching once a week,but that doesn't seem to hurt me in the least. For me it seems to be all about the volume and muscle size. Maybe. I'm still weak as shit,but whatever. Benching with the cube setup is super fun and I'm always having a blast on the BB days,even if I'm feeling down.

Tomorrow's a rest day and I'm probably going to tidy up my room and do some shopping. I haven't done a single conditioning thing I've listed earlier except the hiking,which has been a staple in my routine for an eternity. Guess I'll just stick with some farmers walks on,ah,whenever I feel like it. Already feeling better with all the walking and working on stuff that I'm doing.

LouTheDude
09-14-17, 1:14 pm
Fuck my callouses. I need to get some straps.

Conventional deadlift
1x7 @395 (really happy with this PR)
1x6 @345 (ripped my callous on this set and it pissed me off so much)

High Bar Squats
5x4 @265

Fat Bar Rows (these are great on the grip and oh so hard,my god)
1x12 @95
1x8 @135

Barbell Rows (with kind of a false grip to avoid my callus from getting damaged even further)
3x8-10 @195

Back Extension
1x15 @BW
1x12 @BW+20 pounds
1x12 @BW+50 pounds
1x15 @BW+20 pounds +3 reps extra @BW

Then I just did one set of 20 on the neutral lat pull down with 95 pounds and the leg curl with 45 pounds. Just feeling it out. Also didn't have any time or energy left,so there's that.

Was still an OK workout,though.

LouTheDude
09-15-17, 8:29 pm
As always a little groggy and tired,but I got the work done and hit a PR.

High Bar Squats
5x4 @275

Standing OHP
1x3 @120
1x3 @135
1x7 @145 (PR,really happy with this)

3x10 @115 superset 3x8 Chin-Ups (sometimes they're easy,sometimes they're hard,oh well. I'm surprised I can still do them that well at my bodyweight. Weighted Chins are also no problem)

Lateral Raises
3x12-15 @20 pound dumbells
1x10 @25 pound dumbells

Overhead Dumbell Extension with both hands
3x12-15 @45 pound dumbell
1x12 @52,5 pound dumbell

EZ-Bar Curl (still completely shitty at them. Whatever,good pump)
3x12-15 @35
1x12 @40
+dropsets

Didn't feel so good going into or during the workout,but I got everything done and hit a PR. Maybe I'm gonna hit some stuff on Saturday. Just some more shoulder and arm stuff (for the girls brah!).

LouTheDude
09-17-17, 10:27 am
Just hit some small accessories for the shoulders and arms,nothing too difficult.

Rear Delt Flyes
4x10-12 @20 pounds
+dropsets

Barbell Curls
4x10-12 @35 pounds

Overhead Band Extension with the black band
4x12-15

Band Hammer Curl with black band
4x12-15
+dropsets

Band Pushdown with purple band
4x12-15
+dropsets

Then I did some max rep band pushdowns with the red band for a total of a 100 reps supersetted with band facepulls for 3 sets of 20 or so. Everything felt good,really good session.

LouTheDude
09-21-17, 7:12 pm
Just some solid deadliftin'. Dropped the block pulls. Fuck 'em.

Conventional Deadlift
3x1 @375
7x1 @355

1,5'' Deficit Deadlift
8x2 @330

High Bar Speed Squat
3x1 @315

Barbell Row
1x8 @185
2x8 @205
1x10 @205

Dumbell Row (don't know why I'm so weak at those. Probably cause I never really do them)
1x10 @75
3x15 @55

Lilly Shrugs (awesome version of a dumbell shrug. It's like a combo of a dumbell romanian deadlift and shrug. Really felt these in my hams,glutes,forearms and traps even with light weight: Definitely gonna keep this in for my deadlift sessions)
2x15 @45

My accessories are based on feel most of the time. I really like to just do them on feel and not be pressured to do a ton of work when I don't need to. The thing I always do like I've written is my mainwork. That's why it's called "mainwork" (emphasis on MAIN),duh.

Anyway,yeah. Training's been going well except for squats,but that will fix itself soon enough. Just need some good,new shoes. I also ordered some straps to take care of my grip on some accessories and to take stress of my hands and calluses.

Had a nasty cold for a few days and couldn't do anything. So yeah,that's why the last two workouts haven't been logged,because I never did them. Sucks,but what can you do? Go train while you're sick and get heart complications? No thanks.

LouTheDude
09-22-17, 4:34 pm
Just a solid bodybuilding day.

High Bar Pause Squats
8x1 @305

After that I did some competition/pause benching. I just did this because I missed the heavy session of Tuesday. Not a good idea. Failed 265 and backed off for an easy paused triple with 225.

Standing OHP
1x5 @135
1x3 @145
1x4 @160 (PR)

5x8 @125 superset 5x6-8 Chin-Ups

So,that's it. Got all the work in,failed a bench attempt but hit a PR on OHP.

LouTheDude
09-23-17, 6:40 pm
Getting a gnarly pump. Livin' the life.

Snatch-Grip Upright Rows (these felt great on the rear delts and traps,works the grip a bit aswell)
4x15 @60

Band Lateral Raises
4x15 @Red Band

Bent Over Lateral Raises/Reverse Flyes
4x15-20 @10 pound plates

Barbell Curls
4x10 @60 (finally getting stronger at those)
superset
Rolling DB Extensions
4x10-12 @30 pound DBs

Hammer Curls
4x12-15 @50 pound DBs (actually pretty decent strength with those,don't know why)
superset
Overhead DB Extension
4x15-20 @50 pound DB

EZ Bar Curls
4x12-15 @62,5
+dropsets
superset
Band Triceps Pushdowns
4x15-20 @Purple Band
+dropsets

Lilly Shrugs
3x12-15 @50 pound DBs

Band Curls&Rows
3x30-40 (lost count,got a massive pump in the hamstrings)

Finished off with Band Triceps Pushdowns and Facepulls for a total of a 100 reps. Massive pump. Arms are getting bigger,biceps is getting stronger,elbows are feeling better and better. Good day today.

LouTheDude
09-26-17, 12:45 pm
I'm sick again. Probably an uber nasty cold or even a fever or the flu. I'll just "relax" for this week and see how I feel.

LouTheDude
09-28-17, 4:55 pm
So first of all, I'm feeling much better,and I'm going to start a new program for my squat,which will be The Cowboy Method. I found out the hard way that my own programming doesn't seem to be the right thing for my squat,but The Texas Method worked wonders. And The Cowboy Method is nothing but The Texas Method with more volume...and it's written by Chad Wesley Smith,whom I like way more than Mark Rippetoe. All other programming is going to remain the same for the rest of the lifts. Cube-ish Bench and Deadlift programming and 5/3/1 for the OHP. New cycle is starting next week on Monday.

Let's hope for good things to come out of this!

LouTheDude
10-02-17, 2:39 pm
First day back in the gym after the flu. Starting the week with a good squat workout.

High Bar Squat
3x6 @275
10x5 @225

Leg Curl superset Leg Extension
3x15-20

That's it. Nothing fancy. In and out of the gym in a little more than an hour,and that's just because I was out of groove. After a few sessions I'll probably not even need an hour. Knees were feeling pretty wobbly and my hams were a little tight,but I guess I'll just have to work on mobility and flexibility and get back into squatting.

LouTheDude
10-03-17, 6:17 pm
Competition Bench
3x6 @210

Spoto Press
6x5 @200

Incline DB Press
4x10-12 @55s

Seated Cable Row
4x12-15

Rolling DB Extension
3x12-15

Kneeling Cable Crossover
3x12-15

EZ-Bar Curl
2x12-15

Felt a little tired today,but nothing too difficult. Getting back into benching after the flu. Elbows are feeling good. Got some mad cramps in my chest and triceps when I got home. Oh man. Just have to get a few more workouts in and get used to it again.

Next workout is gonna be a heavy Deadlift Day. Let's see if I can pull (no pun intended) this off.

Cellardweller
10-04-17, 1:08 pm
I'm going to start a new program for my squat,which will be The Cowboy Method... Cube-ish Bench and Deadlift programming and 5/3/1 for the OHP.

Why not stick to one program for everything? Sounds like alot to juggle.

LouTheDude
10-04-17, 1:25 pm
Why not stick to one program for everything? Sounds like alot to juggle.

And it is! Thing is,different lifts respond a better or worse to different training styles,and that's where my "programming philosophy" begins. The squat and bench respond better to higher frequency and volume,whereas the deadlift can often times be trained once a week with a Cube-ish rotation and lots of assistance work and still be pretty strong.

When I was doing the Texas Method,my squat went through the roof and my bench and deadlift stagnated. I also looked like shit because I didn't do a whole lot of volume.

When I was doing 5/3/1,my deadlift and OHP went through the roof,but my squat and bench stagnated. Volume was adequate,I made some good size gains.

When I was doing GZCL, everything improved,but the volume absolutely ran me into the ground. That was faulty programming on my part,I just did wayyy too much and didn't recover properly.

Cube Method was when I hit my sweet spot for deadlifts and my bench FINALLY started moving again. OHP programming stayed the same as in 5/3/1 and gradually improved. Squat stagnated at around 410. The volume was actually quite a lot more than I did in GZCL,but I didn't do nearly as much intensity work and was recovering way better. My muscle gains went through the roof with The Cube,especially my hamstrings, back, glutes,tricpes,biceps and shoulder saw big improvements. The bodybuilding days were something I have kept in my programming to this day. They're just way too enjoyable.

And what I took from all of that? The Texas Method=Good for squat. 5/3/1=Good for OHP. The Cube=Good for deads and bench. So I just,you know,figured,"why don't I frankenstein this bitch,huehuehue."

However,I am still a weak sack of shit and don't know nearly as much as other people do. So if others could give me some advice,I'd be more than grateful.

LouTheDude
10-05-17, 3:56 pm
Decided to do a speed day instead of a heavy day,because I am still recovering from that squat session on Monday and because I just didn't want to beat myself up too much. And that was the right decision,I had an awesome session today!

Conventional Deadlift
1x365
1x375
1x385
1x405
1x385
10x1 @355

Deficit Deadlift
10x2 @295

Front Squat
1x3 @160
1x3 @190
1x3 @210

Barbell Rows (first time using straps)
2x10 @185 (used straps on the last set of 10,just to try them out)
2x8 @210 (straps on both sets)
1x12 @185 (used straps aswell)

Lilly Shrugs
4x12-15 @45s

Lat Pulldowns
4x12-15
1x15 (used the neutral attachment)

Leg Curls
4x15

All deadlift singles felt good,405 went up really smooth and easy. Been experimenting with a wider stance and wider grip,really comfortable and no grip issues so far. No upper back rounding anymore and I really feel my glutes in this style.

My straps felt great on the rows. Nothing to complain here.

Getting back into front squats,these were a little difficult,but fun aswell. Really feeling these in the upper back area.

So there's that. Great session. Took me about one and a half hour and left me soaking wet and feeling great.

Cellardweller
10-06-17, 12:36 pm
And it is! Thing is,different lifts respond a better or worse to different training styles,and that's where my "programming philosophy" begins. The squat and bench respond better to higher frequency and volume,whereas the deadlift can often times be trained once a week with a Cube-ish rotation and lots of assistance work and still be pretty strong.

When I was doing the Texas Method,my squat went through the roof and my bench and deadlift stagnated. I also looked like shit because I didn't do a whole lot of volume.

When I was doing 5/3/1,my deadlift and OHP went through the roof,but my squat and bench stagnated. Volume was adequate,I made some good size gains.

When I was doing GZCL, everything improved,but the volume absolutely ran me into the ground. That was faulty programming on my part,I just did wayyy too much and didn't recover properly.

Cube Method was when I hit my sweet spot for deadlifts and my bench FINALLY started moving again. OHP programming stayed the same as in 5/3/1 and gradually improved. Squat stagnated at around 410. The volume was actually quite a lot more than I did in GZCL,but I didn't do nearly as much intensity work and was recovering way better. My muscle gains went through the roof with The Cube,especially my hamstrings, back, glutes,tricpes,biceps and shoulder saw big improvements. The bodybuilding days were something I have kept in my programming to this day. They're just way too enjoyable.

And what I took from all of that? The Texas Method=Good for squat. 5/3/1=Good for OHP. The Cube=Good for deads and bench. So I just,you know,figured,"why don't I frankenstein this bitch,huehuehue."

However,I am still a weak sack of shit and don't know nearly as much as other people do. So if others could give me some advice,I'd be more than grateful.

It just sounds like a programming nightmare. I guess if it works for you... We learn from everything we do, even if it's that it didn't work. Thats why its good to keep a log. You can always look back. Maybe something didn't work out for you 2 years ago, but now with more size, strength and experience you are making it work now. Not so much in my Journey, but in my log books I also keep track of things going on in my life since that can affect training too.

LouTheDude
10-06-17, 5:46 pm
It just sounds like a programming nightmare. I guess if it works for you... We learn from everything we do, even if it's that it didn't work. Thats why its good to keep a log. You can always look back. Maybe something didn't work out for you 2 years ago, but now with more size, strength and experience you are making it work now. Not so much in my Journey, but in my log books I also keep track of things going on in my life since that can affect training too.

Agreed. A bad relationship,trouble with the family and friends,struggling in life and generally psychological stress can be just as if not even more hindering to progress than physical stress. I've got my fair share of experiences with this myself,but thankfully it's getting much,much better right now. I can finally sleep properly now. Sometimes,it's all in the head.

Maybe I should do the same thing as you. Keep track of my life stress and situation in my log books (which I write stuff in very scarcely,if I write at all).

As for training; 2 years ago I wasn't even training. Ha! No,but seriously,if I would go back and do,for example, the Texas Method,I would regress,I am sure of that. I still have to gain a ton of muscle and strength,and lose quite a bit of fat. This is just the beginning of..."My Journey",so to say.

I always thought that the journey is the destination,not the finish line.

LouTheDude
10-06-17, 6:06 pm
Standing Overhead Press
5x110
5x130
6x145
3x10 @110

Weighted Chin-Ups (weak as shit on those)
1x5 +10 pounds
1x3 +25 pounds
1x5 +10 pounds
dropset +4 BW reps

Floor Press
8x3 @195

Lat Pulldowns
4x12-15 @120

Seated Row (pronated grip with an attachment that allows for a greater range of motion. It's got a cool curving in the middle which allows the bar to go around the stomach,so you can get an even better squeeze)
4x12-15 @120

Leg Press
Ben Seath 8x8 @365 (It's actually more like 4x16,but get this;do one set of 8 with your feet like normal and do another set of 8 with your feet closer right after that. Crazy quad pump,got the idea from Ben Seath,as you could have already guessed)

French Press/Overhead DB Extension
4x12-15 @55 pound dumbell

EZ-Bar Curl
1x15 @65
1x12 @75
2x12 @65

V-Bar Pushdown
4x12-15 @125

Hammer Curl
1x12 @45s
3x12-15 @35s

Tate Press
3x15-20 @25s
finished this off with a rep-out set of band pushdowns with a light band,got a great pump

Cable Curl superset Cable Upright Rows
4x12-15 @55
+dropsets for the curls

Lateral Raises
3x10-12 @20s

Bent Over Laterals/Reverse Flyes
3x12-15 @15s

So that's it. Got a shitton of work done today in a little over an hour. Guess the conditioning and cardio is paying off,I've been hauling arse lately.

Feeling great lately,sleep is finally on track again.

LouTheDude
10-09-17, 5:35 pm
Low Bar Squat (just feeling it out)
2x3 @315

High Bar Squat
3x3 @315
2x5 @285
10x5 @235

RDL
1x15 @135
3x10-12 @185 (used straps for these,feels great)

Pretty good day today.

LouTheDude
10-13-17, 8:23 am
Didn't have time to write in my log these past few days,but here are my past two workouts

Comp Bench
8x3 @225
3x5 @195

Incline DB Bench
2x10 @55s

Palms Facing DB Bench
2x12 @55s

Seated Cable Rows
4x12-15 @155

Rolling DB Extension
3x15 @35s

Hammer Curls
3x15 @35s

Low Poly Cable Crossovers/Flyes
3x15 @45

Just a good bench day. Long Pauses on the Competition Bench,every rep felt smooth. Didn't ever do an 8x3 with two plates on the bench,so that's a volume PR I suppose.

LouTheDude
10-13-17, 8:30 am
Conventional Deadlift
1x3 @445 (PR)
5x2 @415

0,75'' Deficit Deadlift
5x2 @390

Front Squat
1x5 @160
1x5 @190
1x7 @210 (PR)

Barbell Rows
3x10 @210
1x5 @225 (PR)
1x15 @210

Lilly Shrugs
4x12-15 @60s

Lat Pulldown (neutral grip attachment)
4x12-15 @135

Leg Curl
4x15 @110

Hit a few PRs and did all the work and a little bit extra. Good day.

LouTheDude
10-17-17, 6:09 pm
Didn't have enough time (again!) to write things here,but just so you know,I'm alive and well.

Here are my last three workouts;

LouTheDude
10-17-17, 6:26 pm
Standing Overhead Press
1x5 @115
1x5 @135
1x7 @150 (PR)

Weighted Chin-Ups (damn,can't get any weaker than this! At least they're all clean though. Chin above the bar,legs tucked behind me and no swinging)
1x5+10 pounds
1x5+15 pounds
1x5+25 pounds (PR)

OHP
3x10 @120
superset
Chin-Ups
3x8 @BW (weighing in at about 210 right now...getting a little leaner and feeling better day by day)

Comp. Bench
4x3 @210
1x9 @210 (struggled to get that 10th rep,but couldn't lock it out...ugh.Still a PR though!)

Floor Press (close-grip)
3x10 @170

Seated Rows
5x12 @185

Leg Press
Ben Seath 8x8 @385

Lateral Raises
4x15 @20s

4x15-20 @10 pound plates

French Press/Overhead Dumbell Extension
4x12-15 @55

EZ-Bar Curl
4x15 @90

Band Pushdown
4x20 @Black Band
+rep out with the red light band

Hammer Curls
4x15 @45s
+supersets

Absolute ballbuster of a workout,got all the work in in a little under an hour and a half. Workouts have been much,MUCH easier to get through now that my sleep is back to normal again. I'm also not out of breath all the time and dying at the end of the set because I've been doing my cardio and conditioning like a good boy. I still sweat like a pig,but whatever.

LouTheDude
10-17-17, 6:30 pm
Low Bar Squat
1x5 @245
1x5 @295
1x5 @330 (just got the required reps because my quads and calves were absolutely beat from the hiking me and my dad did on Sunday)

High Bar Squat
10x4 @260

That's the workout. Ha!

LouTheDude
10-17-17, 6:43 pm
Pause Bench/Comp. Bench
1x5
1x5
1x5 225 (PR. FINALLY! First time hitting 5 reps with two plates)

Spoto Press
5x4 @185
1x15 @185 (PR. Didn't expect this at all.)

Weighted Chin-Ups
1x3 @10 pounds
1x3 @25 pounds
1x3 @35 pounds
+5 reps @BW

Seated Rows
1x15 @135
1x15 @155
1x15 @185

Rolling Extensions
4x12-15 @35s

Hammer Curls (did these with the football bar today,feels amazing)
2x15 @70
1x12 @80
1x10 @95 (Curl PR...I guess? lol)

Kneeling Cable Crossovers (feels much better on the pecs and saves my shoulders. Maybe it has something to do with me being a shortass and the cable machine being to tall for me)
4x12-15 @45

Had a little bit more time to spare and decided to throw in some much needed shoulder work and vertical pulling.

Seated DB Press
3x15 @35s

Neutral Grip Lat Pulldowns
3x15 @95

Finished the workout off with some triceps pushdowns. Banged out like 30 reps with the black band and repped out 40 with the red one. Massive pump. Got some cramps from still as I write this.

LouTheDude
10-17-17, 7:14 pm
Sometimes I just wonder why I'm still doing all of this. I'm still a complete newbie at this and a lot of people told me that I can't say where I'll be from just a little over one and a half year of training,and that my progress so far has been pretty good anyways. You know,when I look on Youtube and I see a 150 pound 16 year old who reps 500 pounds on the deadlift I can't help but feel a little bit...weak? Inadequate? Like doing what I do isn't good enough. Or like I've been doing things the wrong way or something. Maybe it's also because I'm a poor bastard and don't have a fancy belt and kneesleeves lol

This doesn't mean that I feel like less of a person because of that. I am who I am and I try to do my best,always,not just in training,but in all areas of life. And I just feel like I'm failing at everything,despite my efforts and despite my optimism. Failing with girls,failing at school,failing with my family,failing with my training...it's just all very disappointing. But as I said,I just have to keep at it,no matter what. Pessimism and feeling sorry for myself will lead me nowhere. I just have to think about my situation critically and pragmatically.

You know,I'm straight edge. For those of you who don't know,that basically means that I abstain from alcohol,cigarettes and drugs. I'd like to abstain from porn completely aswell. And before you ask,no,I'm not a christian and I'm not a religious person,at all. I do this out of my own conviction. I don't think it's hard living like this at all. I'm not one of those people who shoves their ideology and ways of life down other people's throats and tries to convince everyone just how amazing it is to be this or that or some bullshit. I just am who I am,and other people are what they are. I don't feel like I'm missing out on stuff because I'm straight edge,but because I don't really have a big circle of friends. I am on good terms with the people I know,but I just can't seem to establish a deeper relationship or even ask them if they want to do something or hang out and stuff like that. You know,I've never really been to a party or something like that. Drinking is not the problem here,it's me,obviously. I'm not this absolutely weird guy,at least not in my eyes. And I've asked other people aswell,by the way I talk to people and how much I talk they assumed I would be a really social kinda guy,but really,I'm not. And the same with girls,some have even asked me if I'm a virgin. And when I told them that I am one,they couldn't really believe it. Now,they didn't think I was some huge ladykiller,but they thought I'd be having at least some game. As I was saying,I think the problem here is me. Even if I'm interested in a chick,I just don't have the balls to make a move. It's always this first step that's the most terrifying.

As this thread's name already suggests,it's just about me improving my shitty ass bench and getting big muscles,but improving my life. And for that,I have to keep working on myself,think and act. And all of that requires hard work and effort. The road looks tough ahead,but it always does when you're at the beginning of it.

LouTheDude
10-18-17, 3:26 pm
I like to do the mobility/flexbility routine Alan Thrall outlines in this video; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsT_go-oCcQ&t=320s

I also do some foam rolling for my back,hams,quads,adductors,glutes,shoulders and lats before doing this mobility routine. Sometimes I also do the 7 minute workout after the mobility routine for some HIT (or whatever you wanna call it) to get my heart rate up and get the sweat going.

I do this on Wednesday and Sunday,and on Saturday I like to go for a long-ish hike (3-4 hours) on my favourite track in the forest.

Just thought I'd mention it. This has gotten my ass back into a respectable shape so I don't pant and weeze at the end of every goddamn set and struggle to even get through a workout lol My mobility,flexibility,heart and lung capacity and general well being have definitely improved by just doing something besides lifting. Even walking gets the blood flowing through the whole body and aids in recovery and improves your sleep quality,well being and all kinds of good stuff.

LouTheDude
10-20-17, 9:51 am
Conventional Deadlift
5x1 @295
5x1 @360
5x1 @405
10x2 @325

Front Squat
1x5 @195
1x3 @205
1x2 @225 (PR)

Chin-Ups
3x5-8 @BW

Seated Row
3x12-15 @185

Lilly Shrugs
2x10 @55s

Was a little pressed for time so I kinda rushed the workout,but I got the work in and didn't beat myself up too much. I also wasn't feeling a 100% for some reason,had a little bit of a headache going into it and it only got worse after the workout. Dehydration,I guess. That's something I have to be careful about.

LouTheDude
10-21-17, 3:13 pm
Did this workout on friday this week,but didn't have time to log it.

Standing Overhead Press
1x3 @115
1x3 @140
1x6 (AMRAP) @170 (PR. I didn't even expect to hit the required reps. Tried for a 7th one but failed. It's alright,really happy with this anyway!)

2x10 @115
1x15 (AMRAP) @115

Weighted Chin-Ups (getting a little bit stronger on those. I guess I'll just have to work on them)
1x3 +15 pounds
1x3 +30 pounds
1x3 +45 pounds (PR)
+6 bodyweight reps

Pause Bench
4x3 @200
1x7 (AMRAP) @200
superset
Chin-Ups
5x8 @BW

Leg Press
Ben Seath 8x8/4x16 @385

Lateral Raise
2x10-12 @15
2x15 @10

French Press/Overhead DB Extension
2x15 @60
1x25 @35

EZ Bar Curl
3x10 @70

So that's it,cut the fluff at the end of the workout a bit short due to me not feeling too well. Really good workout anyway,hit an OHP PR and got in a ton of work.

LouTheDude
10-23-17, 4:19 pm
Low Bar Squat
1x5 @275
1x3 @305
1x5 @355

High Bar Squat
10x3 @275

RDL
4x10 @195

Leg Curl
1x15 @95
1x12 @115
1x20 @95
superset
Behind the neck lat pulldown (feels much better on the shoulders for some reason)
3x15 @115
superset
Hanging Leg Raises
3x15 @BW

Felt good today and decided to do a lot more work for my posterior chain and some other stuff. I think these exercises should become a staple on my squat day. This is not the kinda thing I should neglect. RDLs and Leg Curls just feel so good after squats and make my knees happy. Finished this workout in about an hour and a half. Good day overall.

LouTheDude
10-25-17, 4:45 pm
Pause Bench
1x5 @160
1x5 @190
1x9 @210 (PR)

Spoto Press
5x5 @160
After that I did an AMRAP rest pause set,which went like this;
1x18 @160 (PR)
15 seconds rest
1x5 @160
15 seconds rest
1x3 @160

Seated Rows (went all out on these lol)
1x15 @135
1x15 @155
1x15 @185
1x12 @205 (PR)
1x10 @225 (PR)
1x8 @245 (PR)

Dips
3x8-10 @BW
superset
Chin-Ups
3x5-8 @BW

JM-Press with Football/Swiss Bar (did these for the first time ever,felt amazing)
4x12-15 @55
superset
Football/Swiss Bar Hammer Curls
4x10-12 @55
superset
Kneeling Cable Crossovers
4x10-12 @45

Finished the workout off with an AMRAP on the JM-Press and Hammer Curls. I just stripped the weight off so I just had the 35 pound bar (I think it weighs that much) and just repped it out for a good pump. After that I did some red band triceps pushdowns for like 50 reps. One of the sickest arm pumps I ever had...but I had no time to pose and flex my arms. Ugh,the struggle!

Woke up today and felt like absolute shit and went in the gym with absolutely no expectations. So I'm more than happy with how it went. Overall a good workout with a few PRs.

(and if you wonder,yes,I am doing 5/3/1 for my bench now aswell...only that it goes 1/3/5 in my program. I know,it's a clusterfuck lol So now my Squat mainwork is 5/3/1 with the Cowboy Method for the volume squats,my OHP mainwork is 5/3/1 with minor alterations,my deadlift is Cube,and now my bench is 1/3/5. I am not exactly program hopping,just changing things constantly. That's not a good thing. At all. I will try to stick to the shit I have laid out for myself for as long as possible. Things are moving in the right direction again,so I'll change next to nothing for the time being)

LouTheDude
10-27-17, 11:06 am
This is Thursday's rep deadlift workout.

Conventional Deadlift
1x5 @335
1x5 @375
AMRAP 1x8 @410 (PR)

2x5 @335
AMRAP 1x10 @335

Deficit Deadlift
4x5 @ 305
AMRAP 1x12 @305

Front Squat
1x3 @155
1x3 @195
1x6 @210 (PR)

T-Bar Rows (these feel so good,and I don't get the elbow popping I get when I do pronated barbell rows for some reason)
2x15 @245
1x10 @275 (PR)
1x8 @315 (PR)

Dumbell/Kroc Rows
2x15 @95
1x15 @105
1x12 @125

Lilly Shrugs
4x12-15 @60s

Lat Pulldowns
4x12-15 @110
superset
Leg Curls
4x15-20 @95

Good day and I got a ton of work done. Hamstring and glutes felt sore as hell still from Monday's squat workout (I attribute that to the RDLs mostly),but I still PRd on the deads and got the work in without too much of a hassle. Better get to foam rolling my hams and glutes a little bit more lol

LouTheDude
10-27-17, 11:21 am
Standing Overhead Press
1x5 @130
1x3 @145
AMRAP 1x3 @175 (PR. Could've gotten one more if I wasn't a dumbass and held my breath a little bit better. Lost it on the core tightness and stability)

2x8 @130
AMRAP 1x12 @130 (PR)
superset
Weighted Chin-Ups
1x5 +25 pounds
1x3 +35
AMRAP 1x3 +50 (PR...I think)

Pause Bench
4x3 @190
AMRAP 1x10 @190
superset
Chin-Ups
5x7-9 @BW

Leg Press
8x8/4x16 @...I don't even really know the real weight on this one. I got two 55 pound plates on both sides,so four in total. And I also got two 45s on both sides,so 4 plates in total aswell. The empty leg press also weighs like 50 pounds. And it's inclined at about 45 degrees...but one thing's for sure,I'm using pussy weight lol

Side Raises
2x12 @20s
1x12 @25s
1x8 @30s
1x15 @20s

4x15-20 @15s

French Press
4x15 @60
superset
Barbell Curl
4x10-12 @85

Triceps Pushdown (V-Bar attachment)
4x12-15 @110
superset
Football Bar Hammer Curls (my new favourite)
4x12-15 @75

Finished the workout off with some rep outs on the hammer curls and a red band triceps pushdowns. Nasty pump. Good workout overall.

My deload is starting next week,and honestly,I've been looking forward to it. This week's been taxing.

LouTheDude
11-01-17, 6:43 pm
I find it kinda pointless to go in 4 days a week into the gym while deloading. I combine the squat and bench day and do it on Tuesday (simply isn't as stressful,Monday is a busy day) and the deadlift and OHP/Bodybuilding Day and do it on Friday (which is option two for deloading in Jim Wendler's book "Beyond 5/3/1" btw). On my rest days I just do foam rolling, Alan Thralls mobility and flexibility routine, and some minor conditioning (I'm really into hiking).

Here's my workout from Tuesday;

High Bar Squat
1x5 @145
1x5 @190
1x5 @225

Bench Press
1x5 @105
1x5 @125
1x5 @145

Those were the main lifts for the day. I followed it up with some fluff/prehab/rehab/whatever you wanna call it work.

Box Step Ups
5x10 per leg (effectively 100 reps)
superset
Hanging Leg Raises
5x12-15

Curls
5x20
superset
Leg Curls
5x20

Band Triceps Pushdowns
5x20
superset
Band Facepulls
5x20

What can I say,it's a deload. And I love me some deloads,it gives me an excuse so I can spend my time sitting on my ass playing video games and watching videos lol

LouTheDude
11-03-17, 7:45 pm
Conventional Deadlift
1x5 @195
1x5 @245
1x5 @285

OHP
1x5 @70
1x5 @90
1x5 @110
superset
Chin-Ups
3x8-10 @BW

Back Extension
5x10 @BW
superset
Hanging Leg Raises
5x15 @BW

DB RDL
4x15 @20s (lol)
superset
DB OHP
4x20 @20s (...lol)

Football Bar Curls
5x20 @Bar (30 pounds or something)
superset
Band Pushdown
5x20 @Red Band (went for a rep out on the last set,got 44...why did I even count?)
superset
Band Facepulls
5x20 @Red Band

That's it for the deload. Was a good time. Next week's gonna be hard,but I'm feeling pretty refreshed and recharged and I'm definitely ready for another cycle of hard training.

LouTheDude
11-07-17, 4:54 pm
Monday's Squat Workout;

Low Bar Squat
1x5 @265
1x5 @295
1x5 @330

High Bar Squat
8x5 @265

Ah,oh well. Things didn't really go as well as planned. Knees and hips felt pretty wobbly but not bad,there was no pain at all. I'll just have to get back into it. Hit the required reps for the low bar squats,and didn't hit any accessory work due to time constraints (had about 50 minutes to finish the workout).

LouTheDude
11-07-17, 5:07 pm
Pause Bench
1x5 @195
1x3 @215
1x3 @245 (PR. 2 reps over the required one. Could've gotten one more if I didn't hit the rack on the third rep. Ugh. Whatever,still a PR.)

Spoto Press
5x3 @195
Rest Pause set for two sets
1x10 @195
1x4 @195

Seated Cable Rows
3x12 @225 (PR)
1x12 @255 (PR)
1x8 @275 (PR)
1x15 @225 (PR)

Football/Swiss Bar JM Press (just wow...my new favourite triceps exercise,feels so good on the elbows and hits the triceps just as hard as regular extensions,at least I feel it just as much)
3x12-15 @85
Rest Pause Set+Dropsets
1x20 @85
1x6 @85
1x10 @65
1x4 @65
1x12 @35 (just the bar)
superset
Football/Swiss Bar Hammer Curls
3x10 @85
1x15 @85
1x12 @65
1x15 @35

Dumbell Flyes
4x12-15 @10s (lol)

Finished the workout off as always,went into a triceps pushdown with a red light band and got about 50 reps. Burns like crazy. Triceps still twitches a little as I'm typing this.

Good workout. No complaints here.

LouTheDude
11-10-17, 7:09 pm
I'm just gonna use KGs from now on to save me a bit of hassle.

Conventional Deadlift
1x5 @162,5
1x3 @180
1x1 @200 (well,that was pretty disappointing. Was expecting to get at least 3 reps,but can you do about it when your hams,glutes and back are still sore from Squat day? Another day will come around and I'll perform better. No big deal)
Back off sets
1x2 @180
4x2 @170

Front Squat
1x3 @80
1x3 @90
1x2 @100

T-Bar Row
3x8 @100
1x10 @100

Lilly Shrug
2x12 @20s
1x10 @25s

Wide Grip Pulldown
3x12 @40
1x10 @50

Leg Curl
3x12 @40

Not the best day for me,but I didn't feel like shit and I got my work in. Overall an ok workout.

LouTheDude
11-10-17, 7:22 pm
OHP
1x5 @52,5
1x5 @60
1x5 @67,5
1x7 @67,5 (just retook the AMRAP set because I felt some nasty pressure build up in my head and I got pretty dizzy and couldn't continue the set,even if I wanted to. Still got my reps in,plus a few extra)

2x9 @52,5
1x10 @52,5
superset
Wide-grip pull-ups
3x5 (lol)

Floor Press
7x3 @80
1x6 @80
superset
Seated Rows
2x15 @80
4x10 @100
1x12 @90
1x15 @80

Leg Press
4x16/8x8 @210 (still don't know the exact weight and still don't care,it's the damn leg press)

Side Raises
2x12 @8
1x10 @10
2x12 @8

Bent Over Laterals
2x12 @5

French Press
1x12 @15
2x12 @25

EZ Bar Curl
3x10 @28

Triceps Pushdown
1x15 @40
2x15 @45
+red band rep-out

Hammer Curl
2x12 @17

Felt a little tired and exhausted today and my throat definitely hurt quite a bit,but I got through it. Let's introduce a little rating scale from now on. 7/10 (decent) for this workout.

LouTheDude
11-10-17, 7:31 pm
Lately training's been going a little better and I think that's because I take things a little bit more easy. Not just physically,but mentally. Being a perfectionist about everything down to minutia will make you physically sick if you go too far with it.

I'm still kind of a fat,sad,lonely ****,but life's been going in the right direction. And I hope the course stays rigid. All I can do is do my best and stay positive. Being a sad**** never helped anybody. Sure,it kinda feels good to wallow in your own self pity,I know because I've done it many times,but it's absolutely unproductive and you just dig a deeper hole.

Well,I'm just gonna keep on doing my thing. Seems to work so far. If it ain't broken,don't fix it,right?

LouTheDude
11-11-17, 8:53 pm
I've been thinking about how far I've come since I started training. Just before I started working out I was severely underweight,weighing in at 85-90 pounds at 5'8. Now I am up to over 200 pounds at the same height. Just...damn. I am literally more than double the person I was a few years ago. Maybe that's why so many people can't recognize me anymore. Maybe I should pat myself on the back a little more. My progress doesn't seem so bad after all,considering where I've started.

I remember how bloated I was from eating even the smallest amount of food when I was at my skinniest. But I just kept at it. I was getting stretch marks all over because I was gaining weight so quickly,and yes,not all of it was muscle (obviously) but I was feeling better and better. They have "bleached" out,I guess,or "faded" for a lack of a better term. Anyway,you can't really see them that much anymore. I wear them with pride,they're kinda like battle scars (not that I buy into the whole "warrior" kinda thing. Come on,we lift fucking weights,most of us have never been on a battlefield or killed people,thankfully so)

I just wanted to say thanks to the inventors of chocolate milk,brownies and peanut butter. You've made all of this possible! lol

LouTheDude
11-14-17, 5:49 am
Low Bar Squat
1x3 @122,5
1x3 @140
1x3 @157,5 (PR)

High Bar Squat
8x4 @122,5

Hyperextension
1x12 @BW
1x10 +15KG Medicine Ball
1x12 +15
+3 BW Reps
superset
Hanging Leg Raises
3x10-12

After that I did some conditioning work
15KG Medicine Ball Bear Hug Carry for 2 Rounds
15KG Medicine Ball Waiter's Walk for 2 Rounds
superset
Box Step-Ups
10 reps per leg for 4 rounds

Got the sweat going and felt really good on the lungs and the core. I should incorporate something like this more often.

LouTheDude
11-14-17, 5:13 pm
Pause Bench
1x3 @80
1x3 @90
1x5 @100 (failed the 6th rep midway)

Spoto Press
5x4 @80
Rest Pause Set
1x13 @80 (PR)
15 secs rest
1x5
15 secs rest
1x3
superset
Seated Rows
1x12 @80
4x10-12 @100
1x12 @110 (PR)

Football Bar JM Press
2x12-15 @45
1x17 @45
+dropsets
1x15 @30
1x20 @20

Football Bar Hammer Curls
1x10 @40
1x8 @45
1x12 @45

Kneeling Flyes
2x15 @15

Didn't have any time for any additional stuff and even had to cut some assistance exercises a set short due to time constrains. Still got a solid workout in.

LouTheDude
11-16-17, 2:40 pm
Conventional Deadlift
5x1 @130
5x1 @150
5x1 @172,5

8x2 @150

Front Squat
1x2 @85
1x1 @95
1x1 @105

Bent Over Rows
1x10 @80
4x8 @85
1x10 @80

Not much of a great day today. Was hauling arse,rushing reps and missing quite a bit of assistance work because of time constraints. Sleep is back on track though,and I think that's way more important than missing a few sets and reps.

LouTheDude
11-17-17, 3:10 pm
OHP
1x3 @55
1x3 @65
1x5 @72,5 (PR. 5th rep was an absolute grinder at lockout)

2x8 @55
1x11 @55
superset
Neutral Grip Pull-Ups
3x3 +10KG

Dips
2x10 @BW
2x8 +5KG
1x6 +10KG
superset
Neutral Grip Pull-Ups
5x5

Leg Press (still don't care what they weight is)
1x16 @3 plates
1x16 @3,5 plates
1x16 @4 plates
1x16 @4,5 plates

Lateral Raises
1x15 @5
4x10-12 @8
1x10 @10

Bent Over Laterals
4x12 @6

Barbell Curl
1x15 @20
1x12 @25
1x12 @27,5
1x10 @30

DB Overhead Extension
1x12 @20
1x12 @25
1x10 @30
1x20 @20

EZ-Bar Curl
4x10-12 @28
+dropsets

Triceps Pushdown with V-Bar attachment
1x15 @40
3x12 @50
+dropsets

After that I did some minor conditioning work

20KG Medicine Ball Carry for 3 rounds
Box Step Ups with 3KG DBs for max reps

Good workout. Took quite a while to finish it (almost 2 hours...ugh),and it was quite draining,but hey,I hit an OHP PR.

LouTheDude
11-22-17, 10:19 am
Low Bar Squat
1x3 @132,5
1x3 @150
1x2 @167,5 (PR)

Walkouts
185 for 20 seconds
200 for 20 seconds

High Bar Squat
8x3 @132,5

RDL
3x10 @90

Back/Hyper Extension
1x15 @BW
1x12 +10KG
1x12 +20KG
+5 BW reps
superset
Hanging Leg Raises
3x15

Good Squat session. Tried out some squat walkouts and holds and they felt pretty good. Weight felt comfortable and not too heavy on my back and the walkout wasn't too wobbly. Knees are feeling a lot better lately. Maybe I really should get some kneesleeves and maybe a belt if I have the money to spare.

LouTheDude
11-22-17, 10:53 am
Made a few adjustments (again...). It's just a few volume changes though. Much more volume on the main pause/competition bench work and some added closegrip benching. Percentages stay the same,accessory work stays the same.

Pause Bench
1x5 @75
1x5 @85
4x3 @95
1x6 @95

Closegrip-Bench (pretty slow on the descent. Probably just have to get used to closegrip benching again)
4x5 @85
superset
Weighted Chin-Ups
1x5 @BW
1x3 +5KG
1x3 +12,5 KG
1x2 +20KG

Spoto Press
3x5 @75
Rest Pause Set
1x19 @75
1x4
1x3
superset
Seated Row
4x12-15 @100

JM Press
1x15 @40
2x15 @55
1x18 @55
+dropsets

Hammer Curls
1x15 @30
3x12-15 @40
+dropsets

3x15 @15
superset
Band Pushdown
3x15 @Black Band
+Red Band Repout

Good bench workout. Little bit of elbow pain from Monday's squat workout,little bit annoying but not too painful. Got through the workout no problem. The closegrip work felt really good and I feel like the extra work on the pause bench will definitely help me out. I don't think I'm gonna make weighted chins on Bench Day a regular thing though. I don't really feel like it's helping my mainlifts. The row is a much better movement for building the deadlift and keeping the shoulders healthy for the bench,at least that's what I feel.

LouTheDude
11-23-17, 3:17 pm
Conv. Deadlift
1x5 @140
1x5 @162,5
1x3 @185 (PR)

4x5 @160 (strapped up for the last 3 sets)

Front Squat (tried the strap-attachment technique for the warm-up sets,didn't feel too good)
1x3 @72,5
1x3 @82,5
1x3 @92,5

Barbell Row
3x10 @80

Just a quick deads session that took me about an hour to finish. Not really happy with it. But, oh well, there's always other days.

LouTheDude
11-24-17, 2:47 pm
OHP (really disappointing...missed 76KGs,couldn't even get it off my chest and barely managed to get up 75KGs for one rep)
1x5 @60
1x3 @67,5
1x0 @76
1x1 @75

2x6 @60
1x8 @60
superset
Chin-Ups
3x8

Dips
3x10
superset
Chin-Ups
3x8

Barbell Curls
3x12 @25
superset
Band Triceps Pushdowns
3x15 @Black Band
superset
Lateral Raises
3x12 @8

Some minor conditioning work after the accessory work.

3x10 Lilly shrugs superset with 3 rounds of 20KG medicine ball carry.

Basically a really disappointing workout. Not bad,I still got some work in and got a good pump in the arms and shoulders. I've had a pretty nasty headache all day and generally felt dizzy and...bad. Not a matter of dehydration (little more than a gallon,about 5 liters). Probably sleep deprivation because of a lack of quality sleep. Now,I sleep for 9-10 hours every night,but only 6-7 of those are quality hours...at best. I'm a little bit exhausted from all the work I've been doing,not just physically, but mentally. Planned deload next week. I really gave it my all in these last 3 weeks. I'll probably have a minor bodybuilding workout in the deload week to make up for some missed accessory work.

LouTheDude
12-01-17, 7:03 pm
So much for a minor bodybuilding session. I retook the OHP weights from last week and hit a PR.

OHP
1x5 @60
1x3 @67,5
1x2 @76 (Got the third rep up to forehead level,but couldn't press it through. Breathing was kind of iffy and I lost my balance. Still happy with the PR)

2x6 @60
1x8 @60
superset
Chin Ups
1x9 @BW
1x6 +5KG
1x8 @BW

Guillotine Incline Press (these feel absolutely amazing on the chest. Took a little bit of a closer grip and felt it in the triceps quite a bit aswell. Left shoulder was feeling kinda iffy though)
1x12 @40
4x12 @50
superset
Seated Rows
1x15 @80
1x12 @90
3x10 @100

Dips
1x12 @BW
1x10 +5KG
1x12 @BW

DB Shoulder Press without backsupport (I am really asking myself why I haven't been doing these for a long time, they feel amazing on the shoulders)
3x10 @17
superset
Lat Pulldown
3x15 @40

Leg Press (these have been building up my quads like crazy recently. I bring my knees almost to chest level and really squeeze them on the top, almost locking them out)
1x16 @4 plates
1x16 @4,5 plates
1x16 @5 plates (leg press PR...lol)
1x16 @5,5 plates (another leg press PR...lmao)

Side Lateral Raise
4x12 @8 (done goofed up and used a 9KG dumbell on the right side for a set)
+dropsets
superset
Bent Over Lateral Raise
4x15 @5
+dropsets

Barbell Curl
3x12 @25
superset
French Press
3x12 @20

DB Hammer Curls
3x10 @15
superset
Tate Press
3x15 @8

Incline DB Curl
3x10 @8
superset
Cable Skullcrusher
3x15 @30

DB Preacher Curl
3x10 @8
+dropsets
superset
V-Bar Triceps Pushdowns
3x15 @50
+dropsets

Absolutely amazing workout. Something good happened today and I decided to just go ham in the gym to kinda celebrate it. Got a ton of volume in and one of the craziest shoulder and arm pumps I've ever had. My triceps, biceps and forearms are still twitching from some stuff right as I type this. Now I'm gonna be recovering over the weekend and hit some heavy deadlifts on Monday.

LouTheDude
12-08-17, 2:32 pm
Didn't have time at all to log my stuff. This week's been crazy busy, but I still managed to hit everything I needed to hit and more.

Deadlift Day from 04.12.2017 (don't know how Americans write dates, but that's how I learned to write it)
T1:
1x5 @160
1x3 @182,5
1x1 @190
210 fail (I shouldn't have attempted it. Couldn't even get it one inch off the ground)
1x1 @190
3x2 @182,5

T2a
Front Squat
1x5 @55
1x5 @65
1x5 @75

T2b
Barbell Row
3x12 @85

T2c
Dumbell Row
3x15 @25

T3a
Back Extension
2x15 @BW
1x12 +15KG

T3b
Hamstring Curls
1x15 @40
1x12 @50
1x15 @40

T3c
Hanging Leg Raises
3x15

A little bit of a disappointing deadlift session.

LouTheDude
12-08-17, 2:40 pm
Bench Day from 04.12.2017

T1:
Pause Bench
1x5 @80
1x5 @90
1x5 @100

T2a
Closegrip Bench
3x6 @82,5

T2b
Spoto Press
2x8 @77,5
Rest Pause Set
1x15 @77,5
1x5
1x3

T3a
Neutral Grip Seated Rows
6x12 @90

T3b
JM Press
2x12 @52,5
Rest Pause Set
1x15
1x5
1x5
+dropsets
superset
Hammer Curls
3x12 @42,5
+dropsets

T3c
3x15 @20
superset
Rear Delt Flyes
3x15 @5

Solid Bench Day. Didn't hit any PRs, but it's my first time hitting 2 plates for 5 clean, long paused reps without a liftoff and a spotter.

LouTheDude
12-08-17, 2:50 pm
Squat Day from 06.12.2017

T1
Low Bar Squat
1x5 @122,5
1x2 @142,5
1x1 @162,5 (I done goofed up and didn't even hit a double with a weight that should've been a 5RM on this particular day)

T2a
High Bar Squat
5x5 @122,5 (using a closer stance with these feels much better on the knees for some reason)

T2b
RDL
3x12 @90

T2c
Back Extension
1x15 @BW
2x10 +15KGs
+5 BW reps
superset
Hanging Leg Raises
3x15 @BW

T3a
Hamstring Curls
3x15 @40
superset
Hanging Leg Raises
3x15 @BW

A pretty disappointing, yet still good Squat Day. I didn't hit what I wanted to hit, but my high bar squat felt strong and my accessories were feeling spot on aswell. Supersetting some of my minor assistance with abs is something I've gotten from Brian Alsruhe and Jim Wendler. It just makes sense to me to superset stuff like this.

LouTheDude
12-08-17, 3:10 pm
OHP/Bodybuilding/Assistance Day from the 08.12.2017

T1:
OHP
1x5 @52,5
1x5 @62,5
1x4 @70 (elbows felt a little achy and my bracing wasn't on point at all)

2x6 @62,5
1x8 @62,5
superset
Chin-Ups
3x6 +5KG

T2a:
Incline Guillotine Press (Oh man,this has to be one of my new favourite exercises. Feels amazing on the chest and the shoulder tightness is gone aswell)
3x10 @55
superset
Neutral Grip Seated Rows
3x15 @90

T2b:
Dips
3x8 +5KG
superset
Wide Neutral Grip Seated Rows
3x15 @50

T2c:
Standing Single Arm Dumbell Press
3x8 @15
superset
Lat Pulldowns
2x15 @40
1x25 @40

T3s (just too many of them to actually specify all of them)

Leg Press
3x16 @4 plates (hamstrings were cramping up quite a bit from yesterday's deadlift assistance work)

Lateral Raises
4x12 @8
superset
Plate Rear Delt Flyes
4x15 @5KG Plates

Barbell Curl
3x12 @27,5
superset
Triceps Pushdowns
3x15 @50

Cable Curl
3x10 @35
superset
OH Triceps Extension
2x10 @20
1x15 @15

Incline DB Curl
2x10 @8
superset
Tate Press
2x20 @10

Missed two exercises (single arm preacher curl and cable skullcrushers) because some old friends highschool came in and had a little chat with me. I think the conversation was definitely worth it to say the least lol

Winter has come and it's time for me to put on some more meat. I'm gonna be running this last cycle to the end and add volume when I start another 12 week cycle. I'm gonna be changing up the rep schemes a little bit and the deadlift programming will be the same as for every lift. It's more or less the Cowboy Method for every lift minus or plus a bit of volume.

LouTheDude
12-14-17, 4:00 pm
Fell behind quite a bit on the log again, but here are the last 3 workouts;

Deadlift Speed Day

Conventional Deadlift
9x1 @150

Front Squat (these have been feeling great lately. Much less stressful on the knees for some reason)
1x5 @70
1x5 @80
1x5 @90

Barbell Rows
3x6 @100 (First time in my life doing 2 plate rows. Woohoo!)

Step Ups
3x10 @10

Weighted Carry
3 rounds with the heaviest dumbell I could find (87KG). This felt great. I managed to walk around 5 trips for every round. My forearms and biceps cramped up quite a bit because I was holding it with a crush-grip,but it felt great regardless. Weighted Carries will be a staple on my deadlift day from now on.

Back Extension
3x15 @BW

Leg Extensions
3x15 @40

Leg Raises
3x15 @BW

Cut the volume on the deadlift quite short due to me just not feeling it. I stuck to the Cowboy Method basevolume of 9 singles and called it a day. And it kinda paid off aswell, my accessories felt amazing. Good workout overall.

LouTheDude
12-14-17, 4:10 pm
High as hell volume on this day. Chest is still cramping!

Pause Bench
1x5 @70
1x5 @80
1x10 @90 (10RM PR)

2x6 @82,5
1x8 @82,5

CG Bench
3x10 @75

Spoto Press
2x12 @70
Rest Pause Set
1x15 @70
1x3 @70
1x3 @70

Seated Rows
2x15 @80

Wide Neutral Grip Rows
2x15 @50

Wide Pronated Grip Rows
3x15 @50

(all the closegrip and spoto presses were supersetted with the backwork as always)

Seated Dumbell Press
3x10 @15
superset
Lat Pulldown
3x20 @40

Fat Bar JM Press
2x20 @30
1x25 @30
dropset to just the bar
1x15
superset
Fat Bar Curls (felt absolutely disgusting on the forearms and fingers)
3x10 @30
dropset to just the bar
1x15
superset
Lateral Raises
3x12 @8

Kneeling Cable Flyes
3x20 @20
superset
Bent Over Lateral Raises
3x15-20 @5

Really tapped into the higher rep and volume territory today and I had one of the best pumps in my life. Went off plan, but heavy work on the bench sucks for me. Hevay work in general sucks right now. I am excited for the next cycle. The fuckarounditis will finally come to an end.

LouTheDude
12-14-17, 4:16 pm
Low Bar Squat
1x3 @132,5
1x2 @152,5
2x1 @170 (saw stars on the first single. Goal was to work up to a 3RM today. Managed to hit two relatively slow but clean singles and called it a day)

High Bar Squats (tried out the really close stance again and it just feels amazing. Maybe I should switch my low bar to a closestance aswell)
5x4 @132,5

RDL
1x10 @80
1x10 @85
1x10 @90

Back Extension
1x15 @BW
1x15 +8lbs
1x15 +20lbs

Leg Curls
3x15 @40
superset
Leg Raises
3x15 @BW

Really disappointed with my squats right now. I should really get some kneesleeves and a belt soon. The kneepain is getting worse during the workouts. All in all a good workout though. High bar squats have been feeling really good. The hamstring work on squat day is a bliss for my knees.

LouTheDude
12-15-17, 5:20 pm
OHP
1x5 @40
1x5 @50
1x10 @60 (PR)

4x10 @45
1x12 @40
superset
Chin Ups
5x6

Incline Guillotine Press
3x12 @40
superset
Neutral Grip Seated Rows
3x15 @60

Dips
3x12 @BW
superset
Lat Pulldown
1x20 @40
2x15 @50

Leg Press
3x20 @3 plates

+a bit of shoulder (lateral raises and facepulls) and a shitton of arm work

A lighter day for me since I just wasn't feeling it and I was still sore as hell from Wednesday's bench day. Still a decent day.

LouTheDude
12-19-17, 4:00 pm
New program is in order. It's pretty much 5/3/1 Boring But Big with the 5x10 work inverted for the lower body lifts like in The Inverted Juggernaut Method. Apart from that,there are no changes in the programming. I prematurely stopped the current cycle because my workout time has been severely cut down because of...well,life...and other reasons. Such as, you know, I don't wanna lift heavy and feel like shit all the time. I need a physical and mental break.

I will only have more time on Friday,my bodybuilding day. I will have about 50 minutes to an hour for every other workout day. The current goal is to get my work capacity and hypertrophy up. And I have high hopes that with BBB, I will definitely achieve my goals. Let the gains begin!

Today's Deadlift Day;

Conventional Deadlift
1x5 @132,5
1x5 @152,5
1x6 @168,5 (left two or three reps in the tank)

High Bar Squats
1x5 @100
10x5 @112,5
No AMRAP on the last set,left 3 reps in the tank.

Back Extension
1x15 @BW
2x15 +15KG
+2 BW reps (my hams were on fire,really felt these today)
superset
3x15 Leg Raises @BW

Workout was over after about 50 minutes. I was drenched in sweat and huffing and puffing. But it felt damn great. Bench Day tomorrow.

LouTheDude
12-20-17, 3:43 pm
Paused Bench
1x5 @72,5
1x5 @82,5
1x7 @92,5

3x8 @83,5
superset
Chin-Ups
3x6

Overhead Press (overshot with the weight a little bit on the first two sets,lightened it up a little for the last 3 sets)
2x10 @51
2x10 @45
1x12 @45
superset
Chin-Ups
5x6 @BW

Dips
2x12 @BW
1x15 @BW
superset
Neutral Grip Lat Pulldown
3x15 @50

Fat Bar JM-Press
2x15 @35
1x20 @35
+dropset with just the bar
+high rep band pushdowns
superset
Fat Bar Curls
3x12 @30
+dropsets

3x15 @25
superset
Rear Delt Flyes
3x15 @5

Don't really know what to say. Just a normal bench day. Overall a good day. Feels good to do some overhead press on bench day again.

LouTheDude
12-22-17, 3:50 pm
Squat Day

Delayed the squat day for a day to recover. Right decision. My lower back was still feeling kind of tired today but I managed to go through the workout no problem. Still not using a belt or sleeves. My kneepain is getting worse and worse. Skipped the jumping work (7x4 on this day) because of time constraints. I don't have a box or something to jump on at home and don't have access to my school gym for a week. Oh well. Hurdle jumps or even sprints will do on Sunday.

Low Bar Squat
1x5 @112,5
1x5 @135 (goofed up,was supposed to be 127,5 KG)
1x8 @145 (PR. Not a lot to say about this one. Would've been awesome to get 10,but oh well)

3 inch deficit Deadlifts (I forgot how hard these are...they feel absolutely disgusting in the bottom position if you got a little bit of a powerbelly and food in your stomach to go with it...not a nice feeling, I tell you)
5x5 @125
switched to conventional from the floor after the fifth set
5x5 @125

Barbell Rows
1x10 @80
2x10 @72,5

That's it. Hit a PR and got some deadlift volume in. Overall a decent day. I am thinking about switching the lower body movements back to their respective days...so only deadlifts on deadlift day and squats on squat day. That would be a change that I probably shouldn't make right now. I'll just have to get used to the volume and frequency. OHP/Bodybuilding Day tomorrow. I'm either gonna do a deload next week or continue the cycle. Depends on how I'm feeling.

LouTheDude
12-28-17, 4:36 pm
Postponed my OHP day last week because of a cold.

Did it today,Thursday. During my deload, nonetheless.

OHP
1x5 @52,5
1x5 @50
1x8 @67,5
1x5 @67,5 (retook the first set because I could feel that I had more in me. Just wanted to get more reps in)

Second Set for volume
3x6 @60

Closegrip Bench
3x12 @72,5

Incline Bench
2x12 @55 (shoulders felt wacky as hell because I wasn't used to the bench, so I cut it a set short)

Dips
3x12 @BW

DB Shoulder Press
3x12-15 @13

All Pressing exercises except overhead press were supersetted with back (chest supported rows, seated rows, pullups, lat pulldowns, exactly in that order, each for 3 sets and 15 reps...except those pullups,only 8 reps on those lol)

Barbell Curl
1x15 @30
1x12 @30
1x10 @30 (my wrist was twitching pretty badly on that last set)
superset
Triceps Pushdowns
3x15 @35

Machine Preacher Curl (these felt absolutely amazing)
3x15 @15
superset
Overhead Triceps Extension
3x15 @20

+one hammer curl rep out with light dumbells for a quick pump

Good session today. Missed the leg press due to...laziness lol

LouTheDude
01-17-18, 1:20 pm
Forgot to write in my log cuz I'm a doofus. Did nothing out of the ordinary. Hit an OHP PR of 70KG for 6 and a squat PR of 8 with 135 but apart from that, just standard boring but big work and a few accessories.

Looks like I actually lost some weight. Not sitting around 215 anymore, weighing in at 205 right now. Woo! I ordered myself a whole bunch of equipment. Inzer Belt, SBD and Rehband sleeves, a singlet, Titan Gold Signature wrist wraps. The whole package. So excited for my first competition in march.

LouTheDude
03-22-18, 7:00 am
I'm not dead, so that's that. I turned 18 in March and have a powerlifting competition coming up on the 24th. Training has been pretty shitty leading up to it and I got sick with the flu two weeks out. Even though both of these things definitely affected me quite a bit, I am still confident in my ability to hit some PRs on squat and bench. Deadlift not so much...looks like it has went down 40 pounds. Not at all happy with that. I'm gonna attribute that to my inconsistent training and my current lifestyle (lots of manual labour and moving around). No excuses though. I'm gonna be working hard to improve it after the meet.

I hit my openers on monday and squat and bench felt pretty good. Squat (165KG) went up pretty smooth, but I had some pretty bad kneepain even with the SBDs on. Bench (105KG) flew up even with the 3 second pause, no problems there. Deadlift (185KG) was a catastrophe...came slow off the floor and slowed down even more as it got to my knees...then I even rounded my back and the lockout was a grind. I got it, but I won't pick this as my opening attempt. Really kind of angry at myself.

My attempt selection:
Squat:
1st: 165KG/365lbs
2nd: 172,5-177,5KG/380-390lbs
3rd: 182,5-187,5KG/410-425lbs

Bench:
1st: 105KG/230lbs
2nd: 112,5KG/250lbs
3rd: 117,5-120KG/260-265lbs

Deadlift:
1st: 170KG/375lbs
2nd: 182,5-187,5KG/402,5-413lbs
3rd: 192,5-195KG/424-430lbs

So that's the plan heading into the meet. I'm not really excited for it but I know that I won't give my absolute shittiest performance...except for the deadlift. I guess I'm just gonna head into it with a good attitude and try to have some fun.

What I'm excited for though is the off season training. Still running 5/3/1 and sticking with it.

LouTheDude
03-24-18, 6:24 pm
Squat:
165KG-Fail because of depth
165KG-Fail same reason
165KG-2 white lights and barely catched the "rack" command. The judges gave me this one to be quite honest with you.

Bench:
105-Good lift
107,5-Good lift
110-Good lift

Not much to say about bench. Every attempt felt good and flew up. Took small jumps because my coach said so. Good choice I guess,although there was still quite a bit in the tank.

Deadlift:
170KG-Good lift
182,5-Good lift
190-Good lift

Same here. Deadlift felt very locked in and good. Not much to say to be honest. 2,5KG of my original target, but hey, shit already hit the fan when I failed by squat opener two times.

So,solid meet overall. Went 7/9 and qualified for austrian nationals. Let's see if I can give a little bit of a less shitty performance by then.