PDA

View Full Version : pre & intra workout carbs

THEROK
08-31-17, 5:09 pm
interested to hear peoples thoughts on peri-workout nutrition. i already take a lot of aminos pre/intra/post (bcaa, nitro, glutamine)im on a recomp, is it best to stick with aminos before/during the workout?? would i benefit from adding carbs in pre/intra/post?? right now i just take nitro pwo then eat a meal an hour later. i try to stay away from liquid carbs being a endo/meso type but maybe im missing out on better results and training. im returning from a layoff and trimming back down and regaining lost muscle

I understand like most things its individualistic and you just have to see for yourself. just interested to hear what others have to say. ive been staying away from any heavy carb meals aside from post w/o

Rex
08-31-17, 6:33 pm
interested to hear peoples thoughts on peri-workout nutrition. i already take a lot of aminos pre/intra/post (bcaa, nitro, glutamine)im on a recomp, is it best to stick with aminos before/during the workout?? would i benefit from adding carbs in pre/intra/post?? right now i just take nitro pwo then eat a meal an hour later. i try to stay away from liquid carbs being a endo/meso type but maybe im missing out on better results and training. im returning from a layoff and trimming back down and regaining lost muscle

I understand like most things its individualistic and you just have to see for yourself. just interested to hear what others have to say. ive been staying away from any heavy carb meals aside from post w/o

Adding additional carbs to your overall daily intake for intra workout is certainly not the way to go for you.
However, I´m sure you will benefit from taking carbs out of the meal that is the farthest away from training and putting those in liquid form into your intra training drink.

THEROK
08-31-17, 7:40 pm
Adding additional carbs to your overall daily intake for intra workout is certainly not the way to go for you.
However, I´m sure you will benefit from taking carbs out of the meal that is the farthest away from training and putting those in liquid form into your intra training drink.

Rex thanks for your opinion. can you give me an idea of what you would recommmend as far as liquid carbs go?? something like 50 grams of gatorade w/bcaa during the workout??

ChrisTuttle
08-31-17, 8:04 pm

That is good advice!

ChrisTuttle
08-31-17, 8:05 pm
I really think that ONLY pre workout (10-15 mins before) carbs and aminos is appropriate unless your workout is exceeding 90 mins AND provided you have a decent amount of carbs in your meals leading up to training.

THEROK
08-31-17, 9:20 pm
thanks CT! ive been going into the workout on a mostly empty stomach but still looking to find that sweet spot of pre workout meals and timing. just wanting to make the most out of the workout window

ThatGuy
09-01-17, 12:40 am
I hope its okay to post links here. There is research about your question, look at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBvJTLNoLJw

along with

http://www.mountaindogdiet.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/John-Meadows-Nutrient-Timing-2017-Denmark.pdf

And Rex advice is golden! It's exactly what "science" suggests. If you tend to crash due to higher blood sugar levels, add a little fat to your pre workout meal. Best source of carbs is Highly Branched Cyclic Dextrin for intra, but Gatorade does the job!

LayzieBone085
09-01-17, 6:41 pm
thanks CT! ive been going into the workout on a mostly empty stomach but still looking to find that sweet spot of pre workout meals and timing. just wanting to make the most out of the workout window

Most people have food digesting from their pre-workout meal or intra-workout beverage. So most people overlook the whole window thing because food is constantl overlapping. While post-workout may be an opportune time to intake nutrients as all of peri-workout is important. To think you need something within X or Y minutes post-workout is a far stretch. Most people will not blow through their pre-workout or intra-workout cocktail immediately into the post-workout period

https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1550-2783-11-20
https://www.t-nation.com/supplements/top-10-post-workout-nutrition-myths
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3577439/

While loading your workout is optimal for a very carbohydrate rich enviroment to support optimal training, the need for something instantly may be a far stretch right away. Since protein synthesis will be elevated for 24 hours after a workout. You could get away with getting something in 45-60 or even 90 minutes post-workout. But it is always good to lean on the side of error and get a meal closer based off your hunger and digestion. The size of your pre-workout meal and how many intra-workout carbs you intake will play the major story.

THEROK
09-02-17, 8:43 am
thanks ThatGuy and LB85 for your time to reply and to post the links. i already had a look at some of them. interesting stuff. i have watched a few videos of john meadows before, he seems well informed and i like his presentation.

its been my personal preference to go into a workout on an (or mostly) empty stomach for the most part- i never experience symptoms of low blood sugar or feel i have no energy. in fact i can workout truly fasted (still take aminos) and feel good as long as ive been eating solid otherwise. the reason for asking about Pre & intra carbs was to see if they help build muscle without hurting recomp efforts. i maybe wrong (probably lol) but i thought if blood sugar was low during weights then the body could burn fat while the aminos keep the muscles anabolic

Enforcer
09-02-17, 9:36 am
Seth Feroce also has some great videos on his youtube page about pre/intra/and post workout carbs that you may find very beneficial

Rex
09-02-17, 10:39 am
Rex thanks for your opinion. can you give me an idea of what you would recommmend as far as liquid carbs go?? something like 50 grams of gatorade w/bcaa during the workout??

How much carbs are in your meal that is farthest away from training? How high is your daily carb intake?
You want to do EAAs not just BCAAs.

THEROK
09-02-17, 3:24 pm
@Enforcer- appreciate the heads up, i like to watch listen and learn from a variety of legit lifters and coaches. i already watched a couple of them and will watch more!

Rex, im just 6 weeks into a legit routine and to be honest i havent been tracking my macros closely yet. ive been focusing on getting healthy clean meals (cut way back on beer and junk food) in and getting to the gym every other day working a upper body/lower body split, rotating the rep range and exercises and focusing on compound movements. my plan is to start tracking calories at 3000 on workout days and 2500 off days. carbs are 300 on lifting days and 150 off days. protein at constant 250grams and fats make up the rest. of course thats just a starting point and need to tweak as i go.

i know i need to dial in my nutrition but i just wanted to make the most out of the workout window. just this morning i had a small gatorade tried (43grams) along with 50grams aminos and had a great workout. also added Fury and Stak pre-wo. overall im down 10lbs and strength is coming back nicely- feel great

*Rex, right now im doing 1 pack of nitro + 10grams of glutamine pre and post wo. intra is 30grams bcaa (atomic 7)

thanks again for thoughts and opinions

THEROK
09-03-17, 8:31 pm
just wanted to follow up in this thread. in addition to what Rex, CT, LB85 have provided, i did some additional reading and searching around and now feel like i have a better idea of what and why so to speak. what i learned for those that may be interested is that the purpose of pre w/o and intra carbs is to keep the liver glycogen stabilzed during the workout, not so much to use for 'fuel'. the fuel for muscles has been stored from previous meals.

with that said i will take advice given to me to pull carbs furthest from the workout and put them around the workout window. im going to add a piece of fruit pre- w/o or small bottle gatorade (43g) intra. i did the gatorade last 2 workouts and i felt awesome. one thing i have noticed is that i prefer at leadt 3hrs between my last meal and a workout. i just like that lean empty feeling plus i feel the aminos are more ready to be absorbed, plus now if im adding fruit/gatorade. plus Fury has been on point : P

thanks for all the help, i know im not at the level where i need to micro-manage every last detail, im just learning to not fear and avoid carbs but instead use them wisely during a recomp

LayzieBone085
09-03-17, 8:45 pm
thanks ThatGuy and LB85 for your time to reply and to post the links. i already had a look at some of them. interesting stuff. i have watched a few videos of john meadows before, he seems well informed and i like his presentation.

its been my personal preference to go into a workout on an (or mostly) empty stomach for the most part- i never experience symptoms of low blood sugar or feel i have no energy. in fact i can workout truly fasted (still take aminos) and feel good as long as ive been eating solid otherwise. the reason for asking about Pre & intra carbs was to see if they help build muscle without hurting recomp efforts. i maybe wrong (probably lol) but i thought if blood sugar was low during weights then the body could burn fat while the aminos keep the muscles anabolic

You can use intra-workout carbs and recomp.
At the end of the day the TOTAL CALORIC INTAKE is what is key for your recomp/bulk
make too much of a surplus = fat gain
minimize surplus = lean bulk
Keep your calories around maintaince = Recomp
Deficit = Lose weight.

So yeah if you subtract say 50g of carbs from a later meal with rice, and place them intra-workout with HBCD or other forms of powdered carbs then at the end of the day the surplus/deficit would remain the same.

Rex
09-09-17, 1:13 pm
You can use intra-workout carbs and recomp.
At the end of the day the TOTAL CALORIC INTAKE is what is key for your recomp/bulk
Deficit = Lose weight.

So yeah if you subtract say 50g of carbs from a later meal with rice, and place them intra-workout with HBCD or other forms of powdered carbs then at the end of the day the surplus/deficit would remain the same.

I wouldn´t say these guidelines work 100% bang on in all possible scenarios, but all in all and with a reasonable approach I would agree with the above.

Jay Nera
09-28-17, 5:44 pm
Deficit = Lose weight.

Awesome summary. The timing of things is very minute.

According to the Renaissance Periodization guys, the nutrient timing is only 10%( when considering all of the studies on the subject). 10% stronger or 10% more gains is a big deal to me. So although it can make a difference in the long run i def dont see it as being something to obsess or get worked up over and following your summary is the big picture.