PDA

View Full Version : The 30 rep challenge

Solution
09-21-17, 2:02 pm
If your a bodybuilder who is primarily concerned with developing there muscles, you've got no business squatting say 5's either side. Well unless that weight is nothing for you but if your only get 6 reps your not building no muscle. Lord knows what your doing tbh, probably trying to bust a hip. Heres the thing ok, No burn No growth simple. If lifting 5 plates is your objective then your a powerliftet and a weak one at that. Why this...

Strip of 3 plates from either side and now rep that 30 times. Full reps. No pausing or resting at the top, locking your legs out. Don't tell me your not resting, bull shot, your resting. Full reps top to bottom, bottom to top, non stop. Bam, bam, bam, bam. 30 times. You just not only tried to do 30 reps, you've also just seriously stimulated and built some muscle. If 2 plates either side is to light then add another plate. I don't think I've ever seen a bodybuilder who is primarily concerned with building muscle every complete this.

5 plates for 6 or 2 plates for 30...?

Buckfever
09-26-17, 7:03 am
If your a bodybuilder who is primarily concerned with developing there muscles, you've got no business squatting say 5's either side. Well unless that weight is nothing for you but if your only get 6 reps your not building no muscle. Lord knows what your doing tbh, probably trying to bust a hip. Heres the thing ok, No burn No growth simple. If lifting 5 plates is your objective then your a powerliftet and a weak one at that. Why this...

Strip of 3 plates from either side and now rep that 30 times. Full reps. No pausing or resting at the top, locking your legs out. Don't tell me your not resting, bull shot, your resting. Full reps top to bottom, bottom to top, non stop. Bam, bam, bam, bam. 30 times. You just not only tried to do 30 reps, you've also just seriously stimulated and built some muscle. If 2 plates either side is to light then add another plate. I don't think I've ever seen a bodybuilder who is primarily concerned with building muscle every complete this.

5 plates for 6 or 2 plates for 30...?

If I may ask are you saying that striving for 30 reps is optimal for building muscle?

JacknCoke
09-29-17, 5:09 am
Why not do both?

MRmichael.hooker
09-29-17, 8:33 am
Why not do both?

This

Jay Nera
11-19-17, 3:47 pm
It depends......

Rex
12-02-17, 11:36 am
It depends......

No. If you ask me.
I´m sure doing exclusively 6 rep sets to failure will leave you with more lean tissue than doing the same with 30 reps.

Jay Nera
12-03-17, 3:53 pm
No. If you ask me.
I´m sure doing exclusively 6 rep sets to failure will leave you with more lean tissue than doing the same with 30 reps.

You think so?
I would much rather and also choose to do the heavier lifting myself, obviously. But for arguments sake......
Both are 30 reps.

5x6(30 reps) will have much greater motor unit recruitment per rep than 1 set of 30 reps as the higher threshold motor units will only come into play as the smaller ones fatigue and need to call in the bigger players...size principle. BUt what if the 5x6 sets take 40 minutes because of long rest times while the 30 rep set might take a minute or two.
Of course i mean if we take the exact example of 5 plates vs two plates the volume of 225x30 and 495x30 arent even comparable. But if I were to try that rep scheme I would be trying say 6 plates for 5x6 vs 4 plates for 1x30.
The 6 rep scheme might take me 5-8 minute rests between sets, so thats potentially around 40 minutes to do 17550tonnage/40minutes (438.75) vs 12150tonnage/1.5 minutes(im guessing but ive done 405x20with a cambered bar in less than a minute) but that would be 8100.

So thats a work load of 438.75 lbs per minute vs 8100 lbs per minute
.....If we were to go from this line of thinking then the single set would definitely hold a person to a higher work capacity. BUt he then what it best for hypoertrophy? And of course the rest times needed to perform the sets optimally may vary. Which is an example of what I mean by "it depends".

Again though, I personally would assume and prefer that the heavier loads will yield the best results but when I listen to guys like BPak or watch old Jay Cutler videos, we dont see much heavy lifting. I dont know....do you think that that number scheme of tonnage over time would even apply?

BigChrisF
12-08-17, 7:05 pm
I don't agree with either extremes, but I do know that the OP was unpleasant to read through.

Don't let English die.

BCent
12-11-17, 3:44 pm
I don't agree with either extremes, but I do know that the OP was unpleasant to read through.

Don't let English die.

Actually laughed at this. I totally agree though- it's becoming increasingly difficult to even understand what gets written on forums/social media lately.

Obviously not the point of this thread so I won't go on a rant- but thank you

Rex
12-16-17, 5:23 pm
You think so?
I would much rather and also choose to do the heavier lifting myself, obviously. But for arguments sake......
Both are 30 reps.

5x6(30 reps) will have much greater motor unit recruitment per rep than 1 set of 30 reps as the higher threshold motor units will only come into play as the smaller ones fatigue and need to call in the bigger players...size principle. BUt what if the 5x6 sets take 40 minutes because of long rest times while the 30 rep set might take a minute or two.
Of course i mean if we take the exact example of 5 plates vs two plates the volume of 225x30 and 495x30 arent even comparable. But if I were to try that rep scheme I would be trying say 6 plates for 5x6 vs 4 plates for 1x30.
The 6 rep scheme might take me 5-8 minute rests between sets, so thats potentially around 40 minutes to do 17550tonnage/40minutes (438.75) vs 12150tonnage/1.5 minutes(im guessing but ive done 405x20with a cambered bar in less than a minute) but that would be 8100.

So thats a work load of 438.75 lbs per minute vs 8100 lbs per minute
.....If we were to go from this line of thinking then the single set would definitely hold a person to a higher work capacity. BUt he then what it best for hypoertrophy? And of course the rest times needed to perform the sets optimally may vary. Which is an example of what I mean by "it depends".

Again though, I personally would assume and prefer that the heavier loads will yield the best results but when I listen to guys like BPak or watch old Jay Cutler videos, we dont see much heavy lifting. I dont know....do you think that that number scheme of tonnage over time would even apply?

I don´t think the weight over time thing applies in the real world.
I think the whole thing works like this:
-Muscle gets loaded with weight A (495lbs) vs. B (185lbs)
-Muscle fails at point A (6 reps) vs. point B (30 reps)
- Result of A: Muscle fibers get stimulated to grow stronger and therefore bigger
vs.
-Result of B: Muscle fibers experience a huge oxygen debt for an extended period of time. Therefore they get stimulated to adapt by being as energy efficient as possible. Part of this adaption is limiting their growth.
Example: Sprinter vs. marathon runner

Not saying this is the end all be all. This is only my personal opinion.
A couple of high rep sets here and there will definitely be beneficial but if I had to exclusively commit to one way for the rest of my life, I´d chose the 6 rep sets over the 30s.

Rex
12-16-17, 5:24 pm

Don't let English die.

I agree. Reading this even bothered me and I´m German...

Rex
12-16-17, 5:27 pm
Actually laughed at this. I totally agree though- it's becoming increasingly difficult to even understand what gets written on forums/social media lately.

Obviously not the point of this thread so I won't go on a rant- but thank you

Don´t worry. You guys are not alone. It´s the same with the German language on social media. It goes so far that people even fail to spell their own names correctly.

Derek Lunsford
12-19-17, 8:46 am
I don´t think the weight over time thing applies in the real world.
I think the whole thing works like this:
-Muscle gets loaded with weight A (495lbs) vs. B (185lbs)
-Muscle fails at point A (6 reps) vs. point B (30 reps)
- Result of A: Muscle fibers get stimulated to grow stronger and therefore bigger
vs.
-Result of B: Muscle fibers experience a huge oxygen debt for an extended period of time. Therefore they get stimulated to adapt by being as energy efficient as possible. Part of this adaption is limiting their growth.
Example: Sprinter vs. marathon runner

Not saying this is the end all be all. This is only my personal opinion.
A couple of high rep sets here and there will definitely be beneficial but if I had to exclusively commit to one way for the rest of my life, I´d chose the 6 rep sets over the 30s.

good point.

Derek Lunsford
12-19-17, 8:48 am

Don't let English die.

there's a time and place for both. time under tension is no joke when you really push it

npcdusty
12-19-17, 9:01 am
As you can tell Solution was a troll account once again. A my was is the right way and everyone else is wrong.... words taken with a grain of salt here