PDA

View Full Version : Isolated Dips

Solution
09-24-17, 5:19 am
Isolated dips...

Most people when they dip they straped a plate on thee belt, cross there legs and then put there legs behind them.

They are training there Triceps... 90% of that movement is targeting the triceps. It hits the chest indirectly, naturally, because your legs are lowered, it will bring in the decline part of the chest.

Right... now this is an Isolated dip. Which complete reverses the targeted area and numbers. It's now 90% Chest and only 10% triceps, which of course is now hit indirectly.

What your gonna do FIRST is Get COMFORTABLE. Too many people the moment they strap that plate on just rush. Your not doing pull ups where that plates just dangling there threatening to pull apart your waist. Formed should never be compromised and movements should always be clean. If its not, clean that shit up and you do that by lowering the weight. If your body starts squirming (if that's spelt right) towards th end of a set as in the last couple of rep, that's not a sign to say "yeah push throw it's working mam." It's not. That's actually your body telling you that it's not working and the weight is too heavy. You might say, "Yeah but your always like that's my muscle fatiguing."

We all know that at the beginning of a set, the early reps are not worth counting. It's only once we hit that point where I'm talking about towards the end of a set, that matters. The purpose of the early reps is to get or correct your form. So remember that next time your trying to blow that muscle up and it dosent seem to be working. Its not becauae youve lost the pump etc more time its because your firm isnt right in those early sets, which is fine, those reps are there so you can correct your form. If your doing 10 reps and your not getting any type of reaction from that muscle, that's not because the weights too light. No that muscle is not responding because your form is wrong and it needs to be corrected. If you watch a pro startibg a set. They also spend the first part of a set correcting there form or adusting it. Which is something you learn to do in time, when you really know your body and how it responds as it approaches the pump. They use 'mind to muscle' to do this. But yeah you cannot get a pump when form is bad, you get a pump when its right, and when it's right you hit the 'sweet spot' or 'G spot' as my trainer calls it lol That's your body telling you that your form is good, that its correct. When you start squirming, that's your body fighting against you because your firm was wrong throughout the exercise and it's scared your gonna INJURE it. Its so important that your form I'd correct not just throughout that entire movement but also throughout that entire set leading up to the last 2-3 reps because that's what's gonna give you the strength to push through the pump = growth.

1..get comfortable
2.. concentrate on form in those early reps leading up to the last 2-3
3.. and lastly make sure it stays correct in those last 2-3 otherwise you will fall short of the pump (close but no cigar) or worse injure your self. Stay healthy brother. 7

Righ now back to the ISOLATED DIP which is all about form.

Once you strap the plate on get in between the bars. Get comfortable. Lift yourself up slowly and cross your legs but this time, instead of putting your legs behind you, your gonna put them in front of you. I'd maybe try this movement without the plate to begin with because form is so important with this exercise. Even more so when performing Isolated Dips because technically your also workibg your abbs. Infact if you normally do those exercises for your abbs using a dip machine or station then your body through habit, may even help you with form, thinking your about to perform the abb movement instead of the Isolated dip. Infant I often do both, one rep after the other. One rep Isolated Dip one rep abb movement, one rep.. while at the same time your triceps are also being used indirectly remember so it's 3 for the price of one.

Good luck guys. Find that sweet sport

IRN-NML
10-06-17, 10:13 am
Also known as Gironda dips; they are good and you don't see them done much anymore. Regular dips are still good for the chest; just use the widest part of the dip stand and don't tuck in the elbows; then it becomes triceps work. Worst things to do if starting out are trying to go too deep too soon, repping out a set too fast (it's not a race) and most important, dropping to the floor from the bars and not using the step up cross bar to end the set or if you know you can't get a rep. Just dropping down is a good way to wrench the shoulder(s) big time. Use chains if you have them for extra weight with the Girondas; and dip belt for regulars. For the really advanced Gironda dips, try the hands/palms out grip. Google it. Both dips are good; just take the time to master them.

StanMajors
10-20-17, 4:46 am
Wow! Never realized this would help so much. I'll note this down for future reference.

Jay Nera
10-29-17, 2:32 am
Also known as Gironda dips; they are good and you don't see them done much anymore. Regular dips are still good for the chest; just use the widest part of the dip stand and don't tuck in the elbows; then it becomes triceps work. Worst things to do if starting out are trying to go too deep too soon, repping out a set too fast (it's not a race) and most important, dropping to the floor from the bars and not using the step up cross bar to end the set or if you know you can't get a rep. Just dropping down is a good way to wrench the shoulder(s) big time. Use chains if you have them for extra weight with the Girondas; and dip belt for regulars. For the really advanced Gironda dips, try the hands/palms out grip. Google it. Both dips are good; just take the time to master them.

It's amazing how much Gironda helped. You can often tell the old school vs the school simply by those who know the Iron Guru. Cheers.

Good posts guys!

insatiableOne
10-29-17, 5:12 pm
I just know the Gironda diet didn't perform for me.

steak & eggs..steak & eggs..steak & eggs..steak & eggs..steak & eggs..steak & eggs..steak & eggs..steak & eggs..steak & eggs..
did I say steak & eggs..?? mentioned you can also eat bacon instead/ with

not only that but get ready for taxing the body with all that protein. use a food processor to chop up the steak, and season it differently in order to mix it up

Rex
11-14-17, 6:22 pm
It's amazing how much Gironda helped. You can often tell the old school vs the school simply by those who know the Iron Guru. Cheers.

Good posts guys!

I am familiar with Vince but I have never heard of Gironda Dips. Sure give those a try

Rex
11-14-17, 6:22 pm
I just know the Gironda diet didn't perform for me.

steak & eggs..steak & eggs..steak & eggs..steak & eggs..steak & eggs..steak & eggs..steak & eggs..steak & eggs..steak & eggs..
did I say steak & eggs..?? mentioned you can also eat bacon instead/ with

not only that but get ready for taxing the body with all that protein. use a food processor to chop up the steak, and season it differently in order to mix it up

No carbs at all?

Lightnin'
11-15-17, 11:54 am
How is this on your wrists? The overhand grip looks like it would be problematic for wrist injuries. I ask because I have to be very careful with my wrists. I use wraps, and really have to concentrate on good form on all exercises.

IRN-NML
11-17-17, 11:14 am
How is this on your wrists? The overhand grip looks like it would be problematic for wrist injuries. I ask because I have to be very careful with my wrists. I use wraps, and really have to concentrate on good form on all exercises.

"concentrate on good form"...first of all, kudos, because that adds mental discipline to the work of the physical reps. As far as wrists; can't say for anyone else; but not worth it to aggravate them more. Regular overhand grip? Trying to mentally do a dip here while typing & I'd say keep your knuckles pointing downward through the rep; don't flare the wrists out at the top or bottom of the rep. Never have used wraps, but now thinking maybe they'd help me get an extra good rep or two.

As for the palms out overhand grip in Gironda dips; used to be able to do some; won't even try now & don't recall any extra value. Thinking it was Larry Scott who did them but they sure don't look good for the wrists. Image or site searching for both G.dip grips and technique will help more than I can here.

Lightnin'
11-17-17, 2:00 pm
"concentrate on good form"...first of all, kudos, because that adds mental discipline to the work of the physical reps. As far as wrists; can't say for anyone else; but not worth it to aggravate them more. Regular overhand grip? Trying to mentally do a dip here while typing & I'd say keep your knuckles pointing downward through the rep; don't flare the wrists out at the top or bottom of the rep. Never have used wraps, but now thinking maybe they'd help me get an extra good rep or two.

As for the palms out overhand grip in Gironda dips; used to be able to do some; won't even try now & don't recall any extra value. Thinking it was Larry Scott who did them but they sure don't look good for the wrists. Image or site searching for both G.dip grips and technique will help more than I can here.

Sounds good, I am going to try conventional grip with legs forward and see how that works out.

Nmowery
11-18-17, 10:19 am
No carbs at all?

He was all about the keto diet before there was a keto diet