PDA

View Full Version : Minimal sleep??

C-Rex
10-15-17, 11:37 am
So last might after I got off work and was driving I was thinking what is the minimal amout of sleep an natural guy could get compared to some one on cycle ? I no every one will be different but I thought I would ask lol

Gooners85
10-15-17, 8:53 pm
You're right, sleep hygiene affects everyone differently, as well as hours/night.

Likewise, other facets of your recovery are going to affect how much/little a lack of sleep will affect you.

Someone permabulking would likely feel less of an impact than someone who eats like a bird.

Consider a basic stress-recovery model like the bucket in this picture:
https://jamesclear.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/recovery-bucket.jpg?x32321

ChrisTuttle
10-16-17, 7:46 am
So last might after I got off work and was driving I was thinking what is the minimal amout of sleep an natural guy could get compared to some one on cycle ? I no every one will be different but I thought I would ask lol

Impossible to determine a number for people across the board. My father used to work 24 hours shifts followed by 4 hours sleep, 2 hours leisure, and back to work for another 24 hours. Did this for 4 years. To this day he only needs 4 hours sleep. Ronnie Coleman used to only get 4 hours sleep per night. Personally I need about 5 and I grow just fine but again quality, genetics, gear or no gear does not make a difference in that aspect, and how much you exhaust yourself during the day (desk job vs construction). You could get 8 hours sleep per day and still not feel rested because of over training or poor quality of sleep/ Nutrition.

ChrisTuttle
10-16-17, 7:48 am
You're right, sleep hygiene affects everyone differently, as well as hours/night.

Likewise, other facets of your recovery are going to affect how much/little a lack of sleep will affect you.

Someone permabulking would likely feel less of an impact than someone who eats like a bird.

Good answer!

StanMajors
10-20-17, 4:44 am

Amazing! I'll be keeping this in mind.

BigChrisF
10-21-17, 12:07 pm
I've always found that I feel like I need 2-3 hours more sleep when I am dieting vs not.

ChrisTuttle
10-21-17, 1:56 pm
I've always found that I feel like I need 2-3 hours more sleep when I am dieting vs not.

No shit! I am exact opposite. When I prep for shows I need 4-5 hours tops. I think I just sleep better when I am lighter

insatiableOne
10-25-17, 2:31 am
when I was an Ironworker in my 20's slept as little as 1/2 hr to as much as 1 1/2 hrs a day then crashed all day Sunday. these were 14 - 20 hr days all week. about 5-6% bf

Then until about 28 to 35 needed only 4-5 hrs a day and still worked multiple jobs and stretched at both ends.

In my 40's now needing more sleep and still feel tired, nutrition is more important than ever.. no sugar, no fast food (ever) average 6-8 hrs a day. Find I work out less days a week as well. Body fat goes from 9% to 11.5% on average

my dad and cousins need little to no sleep almost through most of their lives.

ChrisTuttle
10-25-17, 4:30 am
when I was an Ironworker in my 20's slept as little as 1/2 hr to as much as 1 1/2 hrs a day then crashed all day Sunday. these were 14 - 20 hr days all week. about 5-6% bf

Then until about 28 to 35 needed only 4-5 hrs a day and still worked multiple jobs and stretched at both ends.

In my 40's now needing more sleep and still feel tired, nutrition is more important than ever.. no sugar, no fast food (ever) average 6-8 hrs a day. Find I work out less days a week as well. Body fat goes from 9% to 11.5% on average

my dad and cousins need little to no sleep almost through most of their lives.

Sounds just like my father! From when he was in medical school until now. Progression of more sleep but still does not need >5 hours

BigChrisF
10-27-17, 6:52 pm
No shit! I am exact opposite. When I prep for shows I need 4-5 hours tops. I think I just sleep better when I am lighterThat was always regardless of bodyweight. I always just assumed the calorie deficit was making me tired. I needed more time to convert fat stores and recover.

ChrisTuttle
10-27-17, 7:57 pm
That was always regardless of bodyweight. I always just assumed the calorie deficit was making me tired. I needed more time to convert fat stores and recover.

Yeah calorie deficit makes me physically tired but not sleepy.

Jay Nera
10-29-17, 1:45 am
Everyone has different sleep needs. it's no different than everyone has different diet needs. Two 5'11, 260 lb dudes with the exact same body compositions may eat the exact same caloric intakes and one loses weight while the other gains. One person might only need 6 hours of sleep a night and the other 8... we each have to find our own sweetspots.... Not to mention, some of us train and work differently which changes our adaptive(ex recovery) needs.

I find that in order to maintain the same energy levels:
- when I consistently sleep less I need to eat more
-when I consistently eat less I need to sleep more
- This is only at minute differences say a few days of 2 hours of sleep less or long days where I don't get all of my meals in... if the variance in sleep or diet is drastic, nothing will save me. Can't out sleep too huge a deficit in diet and cant out eat too large a sleep deficit.