PDA

View Full Version : Books to make you all around better.

JamesPaul
11-01-17, 9:38 pm
Hey Animals. I have alot of free time, even at work, need to start reading again. What books would you all suggest?
Looking for bodybuilding, powerlifting, strongman, mentallity, physiology, phycology, religion, spirituality, whatever it may be. Anything you think would make someone better.

Thanks in advance! I apologize also if this is already a thread.

MRmichael.hooker
11-02-17, 8:02 am
Hey Animals. I have alot of free time, even at work, need to start reading again. What books would you all suggest?
Looking for bodybuilding, powerlifting, strongman, mentallity, physiology, phycology, religion, spirituality, whatever it may be. Anything you think would make someone better.

If you are in to or don't mind military reading, No Excuse Leadership is a great book. It's one of the requirements to read before going Special Forces. My buddy recommended it to me and I think I read the whole book in 3-4 days. Obviously there's a lot of Army stories/etc in it, but it's a great book on well rounded leading people in both the military and civilian world. The book's chapters follow different people though Ranger school and what they've learned about being self motivated and how they took it and transitioned it into college, business, running companies, w/e they did.

JamesPaul
11-04-17, 4:23 pm
If you are in to or don't mind military reading, No Excuse Leadership is a great book. It's one of the requirements to read before going Special Forces. My buddy recommended it to me and I think I read the whole book in 3-4 days. Obviously there's a lot of Army stories/etc in it, but it's a great book on well rounded leading people in both the military and civilian world. The book's chapters follow different people though Ranger school and what they've learned about being self motivated and how they took it and transitioned it into college, business, running companies, w/e they did.

Thanks. I’ll have to pick it up! I like military and police books. Read a good amount of both.

GunRock
11-05-17, 11:35 am

I'm a voracious reader across the board. Here are some of my top recommendations:

Religion/Spirituality/Leadership - I just finished Next Generation Leader by Andy Stanley and I thought it was an excellent read

Business - The E-Myth is a great business book for entrepreneurs. I'm also making my way through Scaling Up, my favorite quote from Scaling Up is, "A strength isn't just something that you're good at; it's only a strength if it literally gives you strength, gives you energy . . . In turn, a weakness, is something that, though you may be good at it, drains the life out of you."

Self Defense - I liked Championship Fighting by Jack Dempsey and the Fighter's Mind by Sam Sheridan also.

Iron Game History - If you haven't read Keys to Progress by John McCallum you owe it to yourself to check that out as well.

Autobiographies/Politics - The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt and Theodore Rex both by Edmund Morris

Hope that helps!

insatiableOne
11-05-17, 12:53 pm
I read a book a day, or so.
Might also look into Librivox, free audio app

let me think..

As a man thinketh, James Alan
The game of life and how to play it, Florence Scovel Shinn
The law and the word, Thomas Troward
The sceince of being great & The science of getting rich, Wallace D. Wattles
your invisible power, Genevieve Behrend
The power of your subconscious mind, Joseph Murphy
How to attract abundance with positive thoughts and abilities, Michael Lee
The power of consentration, William Walker Atkinson
Thoughts are things, Prentice Mulford
E-Squared: Nine do it yourself energy
Drive: The surprising truth about what motivates us
Attached: the new science of adult attachment and how it can help you find - and keep- love
Sam Walton: Made in America
Seneca, on the shortness of life: life is long if you know how to use it

now i did not just post a bunch of randon bullshit here. I have read all of these..and many many more.
These are some of the better ones that made any impact.
Like I said, listen to them on a frre audio book. Try lockpicking ( unless a former felon) or some other skill too.

JamesPaul
11-07-17, 8:20 pm
Thank you guys so much! Those should keep me busy for a while!!

Rex
11-12-17, 10:26 am
The perfect day formula. Forgot the authors name but itīs on Amazon

Derek Lunsford
11-12-17, 3:46 pm
I'm a voracious reader across the board. Here are some of my top recommendations:

Religion/Spirituality/Leadership - I just finished Next Generation Leader by Andy Stanley and I thought it was an excellent read

Business - The E-Myth is a great business book for entrepreneurs. I'm also making my way through Scaling Up, my favorite quote from Scaling Up is, "A strength isn't just something that you're good at; it's only a strength if it literally gives you strength, gives you energy . . . In turn, a weakness, is something that, though you may be good at it, drains the life out of you."

Self Defense - I liked Championship Fighting by Jack Dempsey and the Fighter's Mind by Sam Sheridan also.

Iron Game History - If you haven't read Keys to Progress by John McCallum you owe it to yourself to check that out as well.

Autobiographies/Politics - The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt and Theodore Rex both by Edmund Morris

Hope that helps!

Cool. Thanks for sharing. I've heard of a couple of these that they are well worth the read.

Rex
11-17-17, 6:29 pm
I read a book a day, or so.
Might also look into Librivox, free audio app

You read one book a day?!

Rex
11-17-17, 6:31 pm
Oh! I just thought of another one I really liked and it helped me quite a bit:

Excuses Be Gone by Wayne Dyer

Jay Nera
11-18-17, 4:58 pm
I could talk about books for days....

Here are a few gems, If you want more Ill post more

How to win friends and influence people , Dale Carnegie......amazing book. Nothing we don't know, but def need to hear and understand.

48 Laws of Power, Robert Green...... Disagree with a lot about this book, but i love the history used to teach the laws and the failures when the laws are not applied.

Gifts Differing - Myers Briggs, awesome for learning to understand yourself and the poeple around you.

Malignant Self- Love, Sam Vaknin, an amazing look into the world of narcissistic personality disorder. This book will help you understand a lot about how people interact.

Extreme Ownership, Jocko willink..... a book about fucking the bullshit about yourself and accepting that you are responsible for you.

The Virtue of Selfishness, Ayn Ran...life changer... read this book as a challenge to myself to "see what this crazy bitch has to say." I ended up agreeing with everything she wrote and this book lead me to read all of her non-fiction. ( there are tons and tons of philosophy and psychology books but ill steer clear unless some people want to talk about them.)

Atlas Shrugged, Ayn Rand.... If you liked Extreme Ownership.... This book will resonate with you. Cant talk about this novel and serve it justice so I wont. All i can say is that everything is this book has happened and is happening now and the problems she portrays in the world are more and more evident and her heros are true ideals to strive for.

Myth of Sisyphus, ALbert Camus..... The book that sparked my phrase, #SisyphusisSmiling

........ Ill stop there.

Rex
11-19-17, 7:47 pm
Everytime I get back to this thread I remember another one.

"Itīs not about the bike" by Lance Armstrong

Relentless
01-02-18, 4:47 pm
Jocko Willink and Leif Babin: Extreme Ownership as mentioned above was a good read.

Rex
01-05-18, 10:40 am
I could talk about books for days....

Here are a few gems, If you want more Ill post more

How to win friends and influence people , Dale Carnegie......amazing book. Nothing we don't know, but def need to hear and understand.

48 Laws of Power, Robert Green...... Disagree with a lot about this book, but i love the history used to teach the laws and the failures when the laws are not applied.

Gifts Differing - Myers Briggs, awesome for learning to understand yourself and the poeple around you.

Malignant Self- Love, Sam Vaknin, an amazing look into the world of narcissistic personality disorder. This book will help you understand a lot about how people interact.

Extreme Ownership, Jocko willink..... a book about fucking the bullshit about yourself and accepting that you are responsible for you.

The Virtue of Selfishness, Ayn Ran...life changer... read this book as a challenge to myself to "see what this crazy bitch has to say." I ended up agreeing with everything she wrote and this book lead me to read all of her non-fiction. ( there are tons and tons of philosophy and psychology books but ill steer clear unless some people want to talk about them.)

Atlas Shrugged, Ayn Rand.... If you liked Extreme Ownership.... This book will resonate with you. Cant talk about this novel and serve it justice so I wont. All i can say is that everything is this book has happened and is happening now and the problems she portrays in the world are more and more evident and her heros are true ideals to strive for.

Myth of Sisyphus, ALbert Camus..... The book that sparked my phrase, #SisyphusisSmiling

........ Ill stop there.

Statistically rich people read a lot more than poor people.
You must have a hell of a lot more money than me... Hahaha

GunRock
01-06-18, 3:58 am
I’m currently reading Physical Training Simplified by Mark H. Berry the Olympic Weightlifting Team coach in 1932 and 36 I believe. Great book so far, interesting to see what physical culturists thought of things like the vegan lifestyle (he calls it vegetarian) and the fallacy of comparing the fitness built through training with weights to fitness built any other way.

Jay Nera
01-09-18, 1:43 am

Hahaha. I could definitely use some more money.

I think perhaps that since time = money. Yes, there have been times in my life where I was very rich(timewise) yet poor(moneywise) and i could 'afford' the luxury of diving into books nonstop. Lately it is harder and harder to find time to read...and Im not richer(moneywise) lol. Perhaps when I have more money I will have more time. Which takes us to another very quick read which is a gem....

"On The Shortness of Life" - SENECA. " It is not that we have a short time to live, but that we waste a lot of it."
He touches base on how if we treated our time with as much value as we treat our money, we would spend our time more wisely.

Rex
01-09-18, 10:32 am
Hahaha. I could definitely use some more money.

I think perhaps that since time = money. Yes, there have been times in my life where I was very rich(timewise) yet poor(moneywise) and i could 'afford' the luxury of diving into books nonstop. Lately it is harder and harder to find time to read...and Im not richer(moneywise) lol. Perhaps when I have more money I will have more time. Which takes us to another very quick read which is a gem....

"On The Shortness of Life" - SENECA. " It is not that we have a short time to live, but that we waste a lot of it."
He touches base on how if we treated our time with as much value as we treat our money, we would spend our time more wisely.

The last 3 books I bought, I didnīt really read them myself. I got the audio books and listened while I was doing no brainer stuff like cooking or cardio. I donīt have a lot of time to spend on reading either. Iīm in the gym or making money otherwise.

Altered Beast
01-09-18, 12:07 pm

I'll be picking up this book!

Everytime I get back to this thread I remember another one.

"Itīs not about the bike" by Lance Armstrong

Nope, it's about the steroid mafia ring he ran for years! LOL!!!!!!!!

If you want to change your life and seriously advance your career, pickup the book by Dale Carnegie "How to Win Friends and Influence People and How to Stop Worrying & Start Living". I'd also highly recommend taking the Dale Carnegie signature course as well. It's pricey, so see if your employer would be interested in paying for it! It'll change your life.

Hmmmmmmm...

brunos400ex
01-09-18, 9:34 pm
I'll have to pick some of these up! Another great book is "outwitting the devil" by Napoleon Hill.

Rex
01-10-18, 5:34 pm
The way of the superior man - David Deida

I havenīt read it yet. It came yesterday in the mail. But a friend of mine highly recommended it.

Jay Nera
01-29-18, 12:44 am
I'll have to pick some of these up! Another great book is "outwitting the devil" by Napoleon Hill.

Interesting title. I gotta at least google this to see what its about.