PDA

View Full Version : Training Max

swoleberry
01-05-18, 9:11 am
So since I've started dipping into powerlifting a little bit, I've seen a lot of recommendations on training maxes. This next program I'm gonna run starts out with training in the 80% range and the last few weeks are done at 97%, 100%, and 102%. So should I be finishing at 102% of my training max, or would you take everything off your true max?

Cellardweller
01-05-18, 2:34 pm
I think it depends on your program. I've seen DL programs that will take you above 100% on purpose at the peak for a PR. Then there's stuff like 5/3/1 that has you use 10% less than your true max as a training max. In 5/3/1 your top set is something like 3+ so you can do a minimum of 3 reps or rep that weight out. Its self regulating and other programs aren't. Using less than your TM helps make sure you don't miss which can affect your confidence going forward.

Altered Beast
01-05-18, 3:14 pm
The only time I go above 95% is at meets. Volume, volume volume in the 70-85% range is key. Peaking is something different and PR's are always 2RM or 3RM for basing training max numbers.

swoleberry
01-06-18, 8:34 am
Much thanks guys, the last three weeks of the program go as follows a week of 3 singles at 92%, a week of 4 singles at 97%, and the final week finishing with 2 singles at 102%. Having that said, would you approach that as a new PR or would you hit those off of a training max and PR at some other time?

Altered Beast
01-08-18, 10:37 am
Much thanks guys, the last three weeks of the program go as follows a week of 3 singles at 92%, a week of 4 singles at 97%, and the final week finishing with 2 singles at 102%. Having that said, would you approach that as a new PR or would you hit those off of a training max and PR at some other time?

You wouldn't want to go harder and harder the last three weeks going into a meet. It would fatigue you and your CNS wouldn't respond. The idea to peak and be rested and fresh for the meet. Plus going for an all out 1RM before a meet will mess your head up; especially if you miss it or you hit it in training and struggle at the meet.

If you're just training for fun than that is a different story, but if you're looking to compete that is a horrible strategy, IMHO.

*I'd do it like this (4 weeks out from meet. All assistance work to be cut out; with the exception of a few key movements):

Week 4: 88-90% 2 Sets of 2 Reps, 1 Set of 1 Rep at 90-92%
Week 3: 92-94% 3 Sets x 1 Rep
Week 2: 95-96% 2 Sets x 1 Rep
Week 1: Hit openers on a chosen day or split on two different days. Cardio/Conditioning/Recovery a few days but resting up most days.

Everyone has a completely different philosophy and it does matter if a guy is natty or untested. The above works for me as a natty lifter.

**Hope this helps or you can at least borrow some ideas from it!

swoleberry
01-09-18, 6:56 am
You wouldn't want to go harder and harder the last three weeks going into a meet. It would fatigue you and your CNS wouldn't respond. The idea to peak and be rested and fresh for the meet. Plus going for an all out 1RM before a meet will mess your head up; especially if you miss it or you hit it in training and struggle at the meet.

If you're just training for fun than that is a different story, but if you're looking to compete that is a horrible strategy, IMHO.

*I'd do it like this (4 weeks out from meet. All assistance work to be cut out; with the exception of a few key movements):

Week 4: 88-90% 2 Sets of 2 Reps, 1 Set of 1 Rep at 90-92%
Week 3: 92-94% 3 Sets x 1 Rep
Week 2: 95-96% 2 Sets x 1 Rep
Week 1: Hit openers on a chosen day or split on two different days. Cardio/Conditioning/Recovery a few days but resting up most days.

Everyone has a completely different philosophy and it does matter if a guy is natty or untested. The above works for me as a natty lifter.

**Hope this helps or you can at least borrow some ideas from it!

It’s for hobby for now, but I am intrigued by the idea of competing later down the road. Thanks for the input!

Altered Beast
01-09-18, 12:57 pm
It’s for hobby for now, but I am intrigued by the idea of competing later down the road. Thanks for the input!

Most welcome!