PDA

View Full Version : 6 day program across 5

swoleberry
01-09-18, 7:02 am
What’s up guys, starting a new 6 day Strength program that goes Squat, Bench, Dead, rest, repeat.
Most weeks I can accommodate 6 days in a week, however my gym has poor hours and a cop’s schedule sometimes limits me to only being able to go Mon-Fri. Should I adjust this program on those weeks or should I just train as scheduled and after Friday just pickup where I left off the following Monday?

Bean
01-09-18, 10:33 am
I tend to pick up where I left off now with that being said...there are occasions that I will skip that missed workout and start from the beginning of my lifting schedule. I justify it by giving that muscle group time to get a bit more rest and recovery. It is all about how the body is feeling for me. I also think it comes down to your goals and lifting plan. I lift 5 days- chest, arms, shoulders, back and legs with a day off before and after legs....so me skipping a body part may not affect me but you skipping a lift could affect you and your goals. I know I didn't answer your question at all but just giving my thoughts

Cellardweller
01-10-18, 1:39 pm
So your week would look like:

squat, bench, DL, squat, bench, 2 days off... then DL, squat, bench, DL, squat then 2 days off?

There's not alot of recovery time in there. I don't know anything else about your program but it sounds like you'd head into a fast burn out or injury. I suggest doing 4 days a week and do squat, bench, rest day, DL, shoulder press/ bodybuilding day, then 2 days off. The 4th day you work on over head strength and stuff like arms that aren't prioritized in a PL program. This way you can rest and recover. It sounds like you could be doing a 5 rep max and a 3 rep max on one lift in the same week doing 5 days like you said. Again, I don't know the program you're wanting to do.

swoleberry
01-10-18, 2:15 pm
So your week would look like:

squat, bench, DL, squat, bench, 2 days off... then DL, squat, bench, DL, squat then 2 days off?

There's not alot of recovery time in there. I don't know anything else about your program but it sounds like you'd head into a fast burn out or injury. I suggest doing 4 days a week and do squat, bench, rest day, DL, shoulder press/ bodybuilding day, then 2 days off. The 4th day you work on over head strength and stuff like arms that aren't prioritized in a PL program. This way you can rest and recover. It sounds like you could be doing a 5 rep max and a 3 rep max on one lift in the same week doing 5 days like you said. Again, I don't know the program you're wanting to do.

So the way it's supposed to be structured is Squat day, bench day, deadlift day, rest, squat, bench dead, rest and so on. Each day ends with 3-4 accessory exercises and each week the main lift percentages increase. I ran a similar program before that was solely focused on hypertrophy i.e. no emphasis on the big three lifts, recovery was never an issue. However, the problem I run into as a cop is that about once every 6 weeks the only days available to train are mon-fri. So I'm trying to figure out if on that week I should hit 5 days straight since I'll get two days off or if i should go train,train,train,off,train,off,off,train.

swoleberry
01-10-18, 2:40 pm
I should also mention, as of late I've gotten very into high frequency/lower volume stuff geared towards the natural lifter. Like I said, recovery isn't an issue when ran as prescribed, just need some guidance on these time restricted weeks. Thanks for the input everyone.

Rex
02-08-18, 10:55 am
What’s up guys, starting a new 6 day Strength program that goes Squat, Bench, Dead, rest, repeat.
Most weeks I can accommodate 6 days in a week, however my gym has poor hours and a cop’s schedule sometimes limits me to only being able to go Mon-Fri. Should I adjust this program on those weeks or should I just train as scheduled and after Friday just pickup where I left off the following Monday?

After Friday just Pick up where you left off on Monday. That´s what I would do. Or find an other gym for the weekends.

Altered Beast
02-08-18, 11:21 am
After Friday just Pick up where you left off on Monday. That´s what I would do. Or find an other gym for the weekends.

/\ This! You'll fry yourself out real quick if you try to jam pack 6 days of training into 5. For most, 5 days is too much anyways. I'm able to Squat twice a week, Bench three times a week and Deadlift three times a week on a 4 day training schedule.

Two days of Power training in a row is plenty before needing a rest day. If your body and CNS can handle going 5 days straight, than I guess give it a shot; however, the program sounds unrealistic based on your schedule and being a police officer, you don't want to constantly be worn out when working those long shifts.

*If you ask me, I'd say find another program. Most out there are tailored for 4 day training schedules. You could train Mon/Tues/Thurs/Fri or Saturday instead of Friday if you can find another gym.

**Also know this, us natty lifters really must hammer the volume particularly in the 70-85% range during strength phases of a training program. You'll just be spinning your wheels unless you're able to get plenty of volume each training session on the barbell movements.

Just my two cents. Hope it helps!