PDA

View Full Version : Training split

Derek Lunsford
01-11-18, 12:07 pm
Some of the 90s generation bodybuilders claim to only train 4 days a week, for example Dorian Yates. Today, we all have our own way of training. I've trained 6 days a week (once a day besides cardio) ever since I started bodybuilding. My body has seemed to progress well by being in the gym more.

What's your training split? And if you have any comments, add to this discussion between guys like Dorian and myself.

swoleberry
01-11-18, 12:20 pm
Some of the 90s generation bodybuilders claim to only train 4 days a week, for example Dorian Yates. Today, we all have our own way of training. I've trained 6 days a week (once a day besides cardio) ever since I started bodybuilding. My body has seemed to progress well by being in the gym more.

What's your training split? And if you have any comments, add to this discussion between guys like Dorian and myself.

Great topic, when I first started training I used Dorian Yates' blood and guts routine by the book for about 2 years straight and then I dabbled in doggcrapp a little off and on. A buddy of mine turned me to John Meadows' programming for a couple years and I trained anywhere from 4-6 days a week even a few stints of 7 days. I've kind of bounced around a little since then. However, I just completed Brandon Lilly's deadcember program and that was 6 days a week and I loved it. I'm currently venturing into another 6 day program. I think all of those guys are experts in the game and I've seen great results with all of them. I think as long as peri-workout nutrition is on point you can train 6 days a week no problem. I will probably continue to switch it up between 4,5 & 6 day programs.

Nmowery
01-11-18, 12:54 pm
I’d love to train 6 days per week, but between work and family, it’s tough to make the time to get in that often. Lately, be been doing a push/legs/pull split. I saw something recently where frank Zane said that was his preferred split back in the day, and I enjoy it due to the flexibility it offers. It allows me to slide in my off days to accommodate my schedule and/or recovery. When prepping for a meet, I lift 4x/week - heavy bench Sunday, squat Monday, light bench Wednesday, deadlift Thursday. I try to stick to that schedule because there’s a pretty dedicated group of guys at my gym who always bench Sunday and deadlift Thursday, and the timing works out really well for peaking, but it can be stressful sometime trying to adhere to specific days of the week like that. Miss one day, and it throws the whole thing off.

Derek Lunsford
01-13-18, 2:38 pm
Great topic, when I first started training I used Dorian Yates' blood and guts routine by the book for about 2 years straight and then I dabbled in doggcrapp a little off and on. A buddy of mine turned me to John Meadows' programming for a couple years and I trained anywhere from 4-6 days a week even a few stints of 7 days. I've kind of bounced around a little since then. However, I just completed Brandon Lilly's deadcember program and that was 6 days a week and I loved it. I'm currently venturing into another 6 day program. I think all of those guys are experts in the game and I've seen great results with all of them. I think as long as peri-workout nutrition is on point you can train 6 days a week no problem. I will probably continue to switch it up between 4,5 & 6 day programs.

You're right. Nutrition is the key.. along with rest. If you're not able to rest "fast" enough (if that makes since lol). Then maybe training less is better. For me, I'm able to push hard, rest, recover, and continue.

Derek Lunsford
01-13-18, 2:41 pm
I’d love to train 6 days per week, but between work and family, it’s tough to make the time to get in that often. Lately, be been doing a push/legs/pull split. I saw something recently where frank Zane said that was his preferred split back in the day, and I enjoy it due to the flexibility it offers. It allows me to slide in my off days to accommodate my schedule and/or recovery. When prepping for a meet, I lift 4x/week - heavy bench Sunday, squat Monday, light bench Wednesday, deadlift Thursday. I try to stick to that schedule because there’s a pretty dedicated group of guys at my gym who always bench Sunday and deadlift Thursday, and the timing works out really well for peaking, but it can be stressful sometime trying to adhere to specific days of the week like that. Miss one day, and it throws the whole thing off.

For some people.. though they may love training.. may have other priorities that trump their training goals and that's absolutely ok. Finding an appropriate amount of time to dedicate to the gym will help keep the balance of family, work, and training without conflicting with one another.

Deathride
01-15-18, 12:26 pm
For some people.. though they may love training.. may have other priorities that trump their training goals and that's absolutely ok. Finding an appropriate amount of time to dedicate to the gym will help keep the balance of family, work, and training without conflicting with one another.

This is the key.

I am a (very amateur) powerlifter and have just had my first child so my priorities have SIGNIFICANTLY shifted!

The result? My training has become VERY focussed. Thirty minute time cap per session:

A: The main lift - alternating upper and lower body to perform either a) dynamic effort (8 - 12 sets with 15 sec rest between with band tension), b) max effort (work up to a heavy 1 - 4RM - yes it may not be the true max if I could have achieved with long rest and 2 hours to do it in, but I don't have that luxury!) or c) repetitive effort (a set number of reps at a set weight).

B: An assistance work circuit of 2 - 4 movements. Lots of rows, Olympic movements (with barbell or dumbbell), more rows, bi's and tri's (superset with rows) and core work.....just bang them together and do 2 or 3 rounds.

I do this as many days a week as I have time for it (3 - 6). If I'm short on time or need a lighter session, I just do a bigger circuit for conditioning.

I'm setting PRs for reps and maxes and feel great. Will it make me the best powerlifter I can be? No. Is it keeping me lifting SOMETHING heavy, get my swole on and still spend time with my son? Hell yes.

Wrath
01-24-18, 4:37 pm

I go by how I feel. If I really don't feel like I can train I take a day off. But I do one body part a week usually. Contest time things can change depending on how I look

Derek Lunsford
02-03-18, 2:17 pm
This is the key.

I am a (very amateur) powerlifter and have just had my first child so my priorities have SIGNIFICANTLY shifted!

The result? My training has become VERY focussed. Thirty minute time cap per session:

A: The main lift - alternating upper and lower body to perform either a) dynamic effort (8 - 12 sets with 15 sec rest between with band tension), b) max effort (work up to a heavy 1 - 4RM - yes it may not be the true max if I could have achieved with long rest and 2 hours to do it in, but I don't have that luxury!) or c) repetitive effort (a set number of reps at a set weight).

B: An assistance work circuit of 2 - 4 movements. Lots of rows, Olympic movements (with barbell or dumbbell), more rows, bi's and tri's (superset with rows) and core work.....just bang them together and do 2 or 3 rounds.

I do this as many days a week as I have time for it (3 - 6). If I'm short on time or need a lighter session, I just do a bigger circuit for conditioning.

I'm setting PRs for reps and maxes and feel great. Will it make me the best powerlifter I can be? No. Is it keeping me lifting SOMETHING heavy, get my swole on and still spend time with my son? Hell yes.

Perfect example of "work with what you've got."

Derek Lunsford
02-03-18, 2:20 pm
I go by how I feel. If I really don't feel like I can train I take a day off. But I do one body part a week usually. Contest time things can change depending on how I look

That's interesting Wrath! I ALWAYS keep my training days the same (rarely does it change.. only in the off season if I switch my Saturday to Sunday). During prep.. I keep an even more strict schedule of training the same body parts the same time every week. I'm not saying it's most beneficial. In fact, I would consider trying new methods. I like your approach though. Could you elaborate on what may be cause for change depending on how you look? I understand taking rest time is crucial for recover.

Jay Nera
05-27-18, 3:35 pm

Let’s say you feel like training but it’s a tough day, say a leg day, and you have energy to train but not to train hard. What’s your strategy? So you do a half assed day and just get some light volume in? Or do you take the day off?
Sometimes I wonder if “just doing something” is actually worse than doing nothing. That is, that I need to take more rest days.

jack3d14
05-30-18, 12:58 pm
i don't like to purposely take a day off from the gym because i know there will be a day or two that i cannot make it. if i took a day off willingly then i may only be down to 3-4 times a week. i like to get there 5-6 days for my own health personally, but everyone's different