PDA

View Full Version : Elbow Sleeves

Nix0r
03-06-18, 12:27 pm
Anyone have a good recommendation on some elbow sleeves that won't break the bank? I'm all sorts of cranky and hurt in that area, figure some extra compression / warmth would do them some good.

MR.TeachFreak
03-06-18, 12:46 pm
Anyone have a good recommendation on some elbow sleeves that won't break the bank? I'm all sorts of cranky and hurt in that area, figure some extra compression / warmth would do them some good.

The one thing I would look as well into is using knee sleeves as elbow sleeves. I find that most elbow sleeves are a fair bit shorter and with my height (6'5") they were not giving enough coverage so I got a pair of knee sleeves sized to my elbows. I find that the increased length gives me better overall support and warmth. Plus for some brands there is more variation in the sizing groups compared to elbow.

I started with a pair of Rehband's which arent cheap but now use a pair of knee sleeves from Norse Fitness ($55/pair) for my elbows. My old Rehbands were getting too small and I choose Norse mainly because it is a NC company and I try to buy localish when I can.

MRmichael.hooker
03-06-18, 12:50 pm

I have the iron rebel power elbow sleeves and love them. $46 for the pair.

Gooners85
03-06-18, 4:34 pm
Well if you needed something right away, Tiger Balm is cheap and does the trick.

How big are your arms? I have an old pair of Grizzly elbow sleeves I grew out of

Nix0r
03-06-18, 7:37 pm
Well if you needed something right away, Tiger Balm is cheap and does the trick.

How big are your arms? I have an old pair of Grizzly elbow sleeves I grew out of

Oh, I live off of Bengay and that EliteFTS Jacks Hot Pink stuff. My elbows have been angry for a while, so I figure I should look for a more permanent solution.

I honestly don't know how big my arms are. I don't measure them or anything like that, but I guess I will before I order something.

MRmichael.hooker
03-08-18, 9:35 am
Oh, I live off of Bengay and that EliteFTS Jacks Hot Pink stuff. My elbows have been angry for a while, so I figure I should look for a more permanent solution.

I honestly don't know how big my arms are. I don't measure them or anything like that, but I guess I will before I order something.

You definitely will want to measure your arms before buying them. If you're right on the line, I'd suggest going up 1 size (usually they are in 1/2" increments).

Altered Beast
03-08-18, 12:41 pm

If it's bicepital tendonitis pain, than I would recommend Mark Bell's Arm Cuffs. Check his site for more info.

I don't Press without em! I wear elbow sleeves when Squatting though or the cuffs make my hands go numb, LOL!

Gooners85
03-09-18, 9:56 am
You'll also want to consider how far along you are in your journey, what your goals are, and why you are looking to buy elbow sleeves.

The thing about the high-end elbow sleeves like the SBDs or using SBD/Yellow Jacket/STrong knee sleeves over the elbows is that the material will still store energy just like the knee sleeves. Obviously not as much as say, wrapping knee wraps around your elbows, but it's still a factor. Depending how advanced you are, it will change your bench groove ever so slightly.

Wrath
03-17-18, 11:03 am

I have inzer adjustable sleeves. The best I have used

Jay Nera
03-19-18, 10:37 pm

I like the rehband ones and also the iron rebel.
The cuffs arent bad either if its a bicep tendinitis.
I feel it incumbent to say that finding out what is causing the pain is important as well. I've hurt myself more and more because of my old school tough guy mentality.

Nix0r
03-22-18, 11:43 am
I have inzer adjustable sleeves. The best I have used

I just looked those up, seem pretty solid. Do you run into any issues with them restricting movement when doing biceps at all?

I like the rehband ones and also the iron rebel.
The cuffs arent bad either if its a bicep tendinitis.
I feel it incumbent to say that finding out what is causing the pain is important as well. I've hurt myself more and more because of my old school tough guy mentality.

It's probably tendinitis; my body is essentially broken. I've got the Iron Rebel cuffs already, which are nice, so really just looking at something for warmth and whatnot, and then use the cuffs for heavy sets or whatever.

Cellardweller
03-26-18, 12:52 pm
So how do you guys wash your sleeves?

Gooners85
03-26-18, 3:06 pm

There should be instructions on the flip side of the tag.

For my SBD and Titan, I machine wash no heat, then air dry near a window

MRmichael.hooker
03-26-18, 4:20 pm

I rinse mine out well in water w/ vinegar, and then again a few times in just water (to get rid of any vinegar smell). Always works like a champ.

MR.TeachFreak
03-27-18, 8:24 am

Cold water with other clothes. Then air dry. I also make sure to let them breathe when I am not using them. I find that keeping them in my bag they retain sweat really easily.

One thing I haven't tried just for if they start to smell is putting them in a plastic bag, get all the air out, and sticking them in the freezer overnight. I know it works with sperrys or any shoe that you can't really wash to kill the bacteria.

Cellardweller
03-27-18, 12:22 pm
Thanks guys. These are all great options.

Altered Beast
03-27-18, 1:13 pm

My wife soaks them in dish soap in warm warm for an hour or two, than does it again to make sure all of the dust and dirt comes out. Once water is clear, she rinses them with warm water and lets them air dry outside if it's warm out.

You'd be SHOCKED at how dirty your sleeves get!

J-Dawg
03-29-18, 9:20 am
My wife soaks them in dish soap in warm warm for an hour or two, than does it again to make sure all of the dust and dirt comes out. Once water is clear, she rinses them with warm water and lets them air dry outside if it's warm out.

You'd be SHOCKED at how dirty your sleeves get!

Agreed! I wash my knee sleeves every month - soaked in a little determent and baking soda. Keeps it fresh.

Altered Beast
03-29-18, 3:58 pm
Agreed! I wash my knee sleeves every month - soaked in a little determent and baking soda. Keeps it fresh.

Gotta stay fresh =)

Lightnin'
04-26-18, 1:42 pm
Can you guys give me a recommendation on what I should get to help out my forearm/bicep/elbow pain in both arms? Right arm near the bend - I just took about 6 weeks off because of some bad pain on the right side of my upper forearm (palm up) and lower right bicep. I think it was either a strain or tendonitis. Should I get a elbow sleeve or arm cuff for this? Left elbow - pops/cracks quite often (even when not lifting) pretty sure it's from years of swinging a bat. It doesn't always cause pain but I'd like to protect it nonetheless. Should this be a sleeve or cuff? Any suggestions appreciated since I don't know much about how compression and warmth protects joints/tendons/muscles. Thanks in advance for your help.

Gooners85
04-26-18, 2:38 pm
Can you guys give me a recommendation on what I should get to help out my forearm/bicep/elbow pain in both arms? Right arm near the bend - I just took about 6 weeks off because of some bad pain on the right side of my upper forearm (palm up) and lower right bicep. I think it was either a strain or tendonitis. Should I get a elbow sleeve or arm cuff for this? Left elbow - pops/cracks quite often (even when not lifting) pretty sure it's from years of swinging a bat. It doesn't always cause pain but I'd like to protect it nonetheless. Should this be a sleeve or cuff? Any suggestions appreciated since I don't know much about how compression and warmth protects joints/tendons/muscles. Thanks in advance for your help.

Firstly, look to your training and see if anything you're doing could be causing the discomfort.

Secondly, look into doing some additional work for the forearm extensors. Quite often we get overworked by all the squeezing and not enough direct extensor work to counterbalance. Even a department store rubber band wrapped around your fingers for reps should help considerably. Kind of like this: https://www.ironmind-store.com/Expand-Your-Hand-Bands153-10-Bands/productinfo/1376/

I'm not a big fan of trying to solve problems with products, and any kind of sleeve or cuff would most likely be a band-aid solution. However, if you did want to experiment to see if added warmth would help, you can get a small jar of Tiger Balm pretty cheap.

Lightnin'
04-30-18, 4:56 pm
Firstly, look to your training and see if anything you're doing could be causing the discomfort.

Secondly, look into doing some additional work for the forearm extensors. Quite often we get overworked by all the squeezing and not enough direct extensor work to counterbalance. Even a department store rubber band wrapped around your fingers for reps should help considerably. Kind of like this: https://www.ironmind-store.com/Expand-Your-Hand-Bands153-10-Bands/productinfo/1376/

I'm not a big fan of trying to solve problems with products, and any kind of sleeve or cuff would most likely be a band-aid solution. However, if you did want to experiment to see if added warmth would help, you can get a small jar of Tiger Balm pretty cheap.

Thanks Gooners I bought the expand your bands and started using them today. Appreciate it.

Rex
05-02-18, 12:35 pm

Iīm using Rehband.
Knee sleeves though. Even the biggest elbow ones didnīt fit me.