PDA

View Full Version : Powerlifting programming

swoleberry
03-11-18, 9:51 am
What's up everybody, another question as my new journey into powerlifting continues.
I have about 6-7 years experience in bodybuilding style programming, but I'm only about 3 months into powerlifting.
Should I be using a program such as Starting Strength or similar since I'm new to powerlifting or am I good to roll on into intermediate-advanced programs given my previous training experience?

Gooners85
03-11-18, 11:37 pm
Starting Strength is meant for rank novices, as in someone who doesn't even lift and wants to start lifting.

It doesn't work well for powerlifting, but it wasn't written for powerlifting, despite being recommended on online forums.

It would still behoove you to begin powerlifting-specific programming with some sort of novice-style linear progression. The "novice" programs that provide simple linear progression will provide by far the fastest gains. While you can take advantage of that stage, milk it for all it's worth. Now, depending how far along on your journey, how strong you are, what kind of work capacity you've built up, will determine how long a simple LP will keep working before you have to look towards early-intermediate and onto late-intermediate programs.

swoleberry
03-12-18, 9:30 am
Starting Strength is meant for rank novices, as in someone who doesn't even lift and wants to start lifting.

It doesn't work well for powerlifting, but it wasn't written for powerlifting, despite being recommended on online forums.

It would still behoove you to begin powerlifting-specific programming with some sort of novice-style linear progression. The "novice" programs that provide simple linear progression will provide by far the fastest gains. While you can take advantage of that stage, milk it for all it's worth. Now, depending how far along on your journey, how strong you are, what kind of work capacity you've built up, will determine how long a simple LP will keep working before you have to look towards early-intermediate and onto late-intermediate programs.

Much thanks for the input.

Altered Beast
03-12-18, 9:39 am
Look into 5th Set particularly the Evolutions EBook. It covers all basis and Swede Burns the author responds when you contact him on IG, just don't barrage him with a bunch of bullshit LOL!

swoleberry
03-12-18, 10:05 am
Look into 5th Set particularly the Evolutions EBook. It covers all basis and Swede Burns the author responds when you contact him on IG, just don't barrage him with a bunch of bullshit LOL!

Thanks man, I'll check that out.

MRmichael.hooker
03-22-18, 12:09 pm
For me personally, 5/3/1 was great getting into powerlifting from bodybuilding.

swoleberry
03-22-18, 5:41 pm
For me personally, 5/3/1 was great getting into powerlifting from bodybuilding.

I had been bouncing around with some different splits I was reading online. However, for the past two weeks ive been running 5th Set by Swede Burns. 5/3/1 has definitely peaked my interest also, along with the Cube Method too.

MRmichael.hooker
03-23-18, 8:51 am
I had been bouncing around with some different splits I was reading online. However, for the past two weeks ive been running 5th Set by Swede Burns. 5/3/1 has definitely peaked my interest also, along with the Cube Method too.

It's just like anything in bodybuilding you've done. You gotta run a program for a little while and see how it works, see if you like it, see if it makes logical sense to you, etc, and then adjust from there. For me personally, my bench/dead progressed well with 5/3/1 but squats were going no where. I know my body and know what my legs require for strength (volume) so I changed that up a little to better fit me. But I ran 5/3/1 for 3 cycles on squats to see how they'd respond first. Obviously you can plug in any program you find that makes sense to you. I did a higher volume method of Cube a few years back and enjoyed it