PDA

View Full Version : Changing up your training style

Derek Lunsford
03-12-18, 4:26 pm
I assume that we all have our preferred methods of training that we use regularly in the gym, at least I do. But there are times when it's good to just completely switch it up and train in a way your body isn't used to. This is great for "shocking" the muscles and forcing them to do what it isn't used to. You've seen my "Five Pillars To Weight Training," which is my usual choice style training. But some days, you just "grip it and rip it!" If you're used to time under tension, constant tension, and slower, hard contractions with machines when lifting.. maybe choose to do free weights and up the weight (grip it and rip it!). And vise versa.. those who like to bang the heavy weights day in day out... try controlling the weight for a longer, harder squeeze and tell me that your muscles don't lite up! Whatever you normally do.. I challenge you guys to do the opposite for a week and see how your body responds in a month. Kick the idea of a plateau and just do the work! Time to be a champ.

MRmichael.hooker
03-13-18, 2:53 pm
I assume that we all have our preferred methods of training that we use regularly in the gym, at least I do. But there are times when it's good to just completely switch it up and train in a way your body isn't used to. This is great for "shocking" the muscles and forcing them to do what it isn't used to. You've seen my "Five Pillars To Weight Training," which is my usual choice style training. But some days, you just "grip it and rip it!" If you're used to time under tension, constant tension, and slower, hard contractions with machines when lifting.. maybe choose to do free weights and up the weight (grip it and rip it!). And vise versa.. those who like to bang the heavy weights day in day out... try controlling the weight for a longer, harder squeeze and tell me that your muscles don't lite up! Whatever you normally do.. I challenge you guys to do the opposite for a week and see how your body responds in a month. Kick the idea of a plateau and just do the work! Time to be a champ.

Usually my go-to's with this thinking strategy were GVT or Blood & Guts.

swoleberry
03-14-18, 9:37 am

Usually my go-to's with this thinking strategy were GVT or Blood & Guts.

I'm kinda with Hooker on this one. Prior to testing the powerlifting waters, I varied back and forth between Blood and Guts and some higher volume Mountain Dog programming.

Jay Nera
03-19-18, 10:42 pm
I always try to switch things up. But then after a while, whatever I'm doing, slowly moulds into what i'd been doing. Somehow a handstand focused session will after a few weeks involve overhead pressing, which will evolve into bench pressing somehow. The addiction is real.

JohnJewett
03-21-18, 1:32 pm
I always try to switch things up. But then after a while, whatever I'm doing, slowly moulds into what i'd been doing. Somehow a handstand focused session will after a few weeks involve overhead pressing, which will evolve into bench pressing somehow. The addiction is real.

Haha I am on the same page with you. I will always venture back into my normal push, pull, legs set up. But it where I make the most progress, so Im not changing anymore...so I say

Nmowery
03-21-18, 11:22 pm
Man...after trying all kinds of crazy bro splits, I’ve found push/legs/pull to be cream of the crop for hypertrophy work! It’s become my go-to setup during “off season” PL training, then I switch to an alternating upper/lower split when its meet prep time, and spread out my back work between the week.

Jay Nera
03-28-18, 4:10 am
Haha I am on the same page with you. I will always venture back into my normal push, pull, legs set up. But it where I make the most progress, so Im not changing anymore...so I say

Funny how we do that. As a powerlifter one of my favourite splits used to be bench, front squat, vertical pressing, deadlift, bench, squat, off........6 day split. Now, even though I am not touching the barbell, it has evolved into, UB Push Pull Vertical, Pistols and Jumps, Upper body pump up arms and shoulders, kettlebell swings and carries and lunges, upper body push pull horizontal, jumps and carries and movement focus. off.
basically the exact same split just a little diffferent. And I know that as my back and hips keep healing and getting better, it will evolve back into what i was doing before.

ChrisTuttle
03-28-18, 8:09 pm

I am very similar. Stay with what works but I do train LESS than I used to in the past. 4x per week works great for me now.

deanna7272
03-30-18, 10:17 am
Man...after trying all kinds of crazy bro splits, I’ve found push/legs/pull to be cream of the crop for hypertrophy work! It’s become my go-to setup during “off season” PL training, then I switch to an alternating upper/lower split when its meet prep time, and spread out my back work between the week.

This is something that I'm experimenting with now... I've been stuck in a rut and I'm bored with my training as of late... Hopefully it triggers something positive for me!

npcdusty
03-30-18, 10:25 am
Chris just changed me over to 4x a week and im already loving it. My joints and just overall body was beat to hell from my previous program. Exciting to be on a new one now! That's not to say this 4x a week isn't making me work though....

This is something that I'm experimenting with now... I've been stuck in a rut and I'm bored with my training as of late... Hopefully it triggers something positive for me!

ChrisTuttle
03-30-18, 7:56 pm
Chris just changed me over to 4x a week and im already loving it. My joints and just overall body was beat to hell from my previous program. Exciting to be on a new one now! That's not to say this 4x a week isn't making me work though....

It is the best! Recovery is in par!

Cellardweller
04-05-18, 3:07 pm
I'm wondering how often powerlifters change over to hypertrophy work? Do you guys always focus on strength or do you flip to more bodybuilding style for a few weeks at a time? I've always kind of done "powerbuilding" where I do my main lift low reps and higher weight, then do lower weight and higher reps to grow some. That just seems like I'm serving two masters and not making anyone happy sometimes. What do you think?

ChrisTuttle
04-05-18, 3:30 pm
I'm wondering how often powerlifters change over to hypertrophy work? Do you guys always focus on strength or do you flip to more bodybuilding style for a few weeks at a time? I've always kind of done "powerbuilding" where I do my main lift low reps and higher weight, then do lower weight and higher reps to grow some. That just seems like I'm serving two masters and not making anyone happy sometimes. What do you think?

That is as good question. I know nothing about power lifting periodization and would love to see a rough outline.

Nmowery
04-05-18, 5:00 pm
Personally, I’ll start doing more volume and lighter weight for a while after a meet. After prepping for a meet I always feel beat to shit, so afterwards I’ll flip the switch on things until I start feeling less banged up - maybe 2 months or so. Then I’ll start getting a bit heavier with the main lifts over time, then kick it into gear when it’s time to get ready for another meet.

ChrisTuttle
04-05-18, 5:11 pm
Personally, I’ll start doing more volume and lighter weight for a while after a meet. After prepping for a meet I always feel beat to shit, so afterwards I’ll flip the switch on things until I start feeling less banged up - maybe 2 months or so. Then I’ll start getting a bit heavier with the main lifts over time, then kick it into gear when it’s time to get ready for another meet.

Like a recovery month from the heavy stuff. Makes total sense.

Nmowery
04-05-18, 8:19 pm
Like a recovery month from the heavy stuff. Makes total sense.

I know a lot of dudes like to go right back into heavy training immediately after a meet since they’ve peaked and de-loaded leading up to it, but that just doesn’t work for me. Maybe if I was 10 years younger and on gear, but I’m old and natty and everything hurts after I compete, so I need that “off season” to get my shit back together. It kinda sucks because my bench drops off hard if I’m not hitting it consistently at 85-90%, but I’d rather trade a few pounds for longevity and health.

ChrisTuttle
04-08-18, 7:49 am
I know a lot of dudes like to go right back into heavy training immediately after a meet since they’ve peaked and de-loaded leading up to it, but that just doesn’t work for me. Maybe if I was 10 years younger and on gear, but I’m old and natty and everything hurts after I compete, so I need that “off season” to get my shit back together. It kinda sucks because my bench drops off hard if I’m not hitting it consistently at 85-90%, but I’d rather trade a few pounds for longevity and health.

Hey, I am young and my joints hurt every day of my life. So I understand. Lift to lift another day. Pushing and pushing will just make what we love to do impossible. Much better choice to preserve joints so we can prolong our participation in what we love to do.

Wrath
04-29-18, 10:18 am
Peole Need to get out of there comfort zone and do things there not used to. I like to train with different people who have different training styles. And people who are better then me. People usually want to stay with the same old. You always ways have to keep adapting

Rex
05-13-18, 10:55 am
Peole Need to get out of there comfort zone and do things there not used to. I like to train with different people who have different training styles. And people who are better then me. People usually want to stay with the same old. You always ways have to keep adapting

I absolutely agree.

Cellardweller
05-30-18, 9:56 am
I found this on my computer today. I didn't cite the author though.

Making Change

I've seen it many times in the gym where I train and I bet you've seen it in your gym as well. I'm talking about people doing the same exercises, in the same order, using the same amount of weight and then complaining that they are not getting any closer to their physique goals.
The basic lifts such as squats, rows, presses and dead lifts incorporate many muscles, and therefore, you will be stronger in these lifts compared to isolation exercises that only work one muscle. These lifts are staples in a bodybuilding routine, whether you are on a bulk or a cut, but using the same amount of weight for an extended period of time and training in the same order of exercises with the same amount of reps will not force the muscles to grow!
If I bench press the same amount of weight that I did my first year training, my chest would still look like it did back then. We have to force the muscles to grow! I love to keep my favorite exercises in my training protocol. We all have our favorites, the exercises in which you really get that mind-muscle connection and no matter how tired you are you always get a tremendous pump when you do them. But sooner or later, you need a change to shock the muscles into new growth. The change could be simple as doing everything in a different order. Here a few other ideas on how to switch up your routine.
If you usually do your heavy pressing at the beginning of your routine, try using isolation exercises first and pressing last. If you usually do 6-12 reps, try doing 20-25 instead. Try implementing super sets/giant sets. Instead of the typical “one set, rest for 90 seconds” fashion, try doing 2-4 exercises back to back without any rest. Example: on chest day, do incline barbell press, flat dumbbell press, cable crossovers and dips without resting in between sets.
What about super slow? If you have been using the normal speed/tempo for your reps, try 15-20 second eccentric and concentric movements. Pyramid routines–try using sets at different levels (different reps and weights) of the same weight training exercise. Start with a light set for 15 reps, then a medium set for 8-10 reps, then a heavy set for 3-5 reps. Then, work your way back down by doing another medium set and finishing with another light set. Here’s another idea: very high intensity training. Sure we all train intensely, but to use forced reps, negative reps and partial movements in all of your exercises for one training session will shock your muscles into growth.
Listen, your body will know when it's time to change. You will feel very tired, have a loss of appetite, no motivation to train and your muscles will not get that blood-gorged pump anymore. I like to change my routine every 12-15 weeks. It could be as simple as using wider or closer grips, switching from barbells to dumbbells, trading off plate loaded Hammer Strength training machines for Cybex selectorized machines. Change can be good if it is the right change… Change to improve and challenge yourself. Don't make changes just to make your workouts easier; that's like changing your body so that it won't improve!