PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite back exercise and why?

ChrisTuttle
05-12-18, 7:59 pm
I thought this might be interesting what people have to say about back training. I am very curious to see what is the most common back exercise used and favored by most. Especially understanding the why.

Favorite: straight bar, slightly wider than shoulder grip, cable rows. Reps 10-15

The why? I feel that is very easy for me to get a good connection with the mid to upper back and I am able to safely take it failure WITHOUT losing that "connection."

It used to be BB rows until my lower back got fucked up.

Rex
05-12-18, 8:16 pm
I thought this might be interesting what people have to say about back training. I am very curious to see what is the most common back exercise used and favored by most. Especially understanding the why.

Favorite: straight bar, slightly wider than shoulder grip, cable rows. Reps 10-15

The why? I feel that is very easy for me to get a good connection with the mid to upper back and I am able to safely take it failure WITHOUT losing that "connection."

It used to be BB rows until my lower back got fucked up.

Hmmm... I´m going to give this a try.
I feel like I have never gotten a lot out of BB rows, to be honest...

Rex
05-12-18, 8:16 pm
By favorites are pullups and pullovers (DB and machine)

Nmowery
05-15-18, 10:41 am
Always been a fan of one arm bent over DB rows. Also like front pull downs with cables for getting a ridiculous pump, and my gym also has a few hammer strength rowing machines, one of which I’m really partial to for whatever reason.

Bean
05-16-18, 3:18 pm
Wide grip seated cable rows

Cellardweller
05-16-18, 3:44 pm
I’m a fan of B.B. rows. You gotta drop the weight and the ego though. They’re not slightly bent forward shrugs. Bend down at the waist with a slight bend in the knees. Pull to your hips. Think “pick it up, put it in your pocket.

Nmowery
05-16-18, 5:45 pm
I’m a fan of B.B. rows. You gotta drop the weight and the ego though. They’re not slightly bent forward shrugs. Bend down at the waist with a slight bend in the knees. Pull to your hips. Think “pick it up, put it in your pocket.

See, I prefer to do barbell rows in a completely different fashion - I usually do more of a Pendlay row, where I get my upper body as close to parallel as I can with the ground, and then rip the bar up with maximum velocity, and pull it more to the belly than the waist.

I’ll occasionally do a more bodybuilding-style row with a slower tempo, but that’s where the DB rows come in to play for me.

Cellardweller
05-17-18, 7:50 am
See, I prefer to do barbell rows in a completely different fashion - I usually do more of a Pendlay row, where I get my upper body as close to parallel as I can with the ground, and then rip the bar up with maximum velocity, and pull it more to the belly than the waist.

I’ll occasionally do a more bodybuilding-style row with a slower tempo, but that’s where the DB rows come in to play for me.

I bend down almost like a Pendlay, but my bar doesn’t touch the ground. I honestly have a neck injury to thank for my new connection and development of my lats.

Cellardweller
05-17-18, 1:03 pm
Here’s my 2 cents on why people screw up back exercises and probably other stuff. I’ve been thinking there are 2 components to a lift that people confuse. There is your connection to the weight and where you actually carry the load. Everyone’s favorite exercise and probably the first thing you ever did in the gym is a biceps curl. For that the connection to the iron and where you carry the load are one and the same. Problem is, is that a lot of people think that for everything. For a row, your connection is your hand, but you carry the load on the back of your elbows. Most people think that if their hands are moving then they’re doing the exercise right. Wrong! Range of motion of your hands isn’t what counts. The function of your lats is to move your shoulder back and down. Hands have nothing to do with it. Try flexing your lats, you don’t move your hands. ROM of your elbows is what counts. Pulling your elbows back moves your shoulders back and contracts your lats. Bending over and bicep curling the dumbell to your chest don’t do shit. Leaning foreword and shrugging and knee popping so your hands go up and down don’t do shit. Drop the weight and do it right. This is why people quarter squat. The connection to the iron is across their upper back and they think that’s where they carry the load, so as long as the bar goes up and down they think they’re doing it. The connection is across their upper back, but you carry the load in your hips. So your hips going up and down should be what you’re looking for basically.

I also look at a lat pull down as the same as a standing over head press. For the press you start at your clavicle, head back and as you press your head goes forward so the bar is above your head. A lat pull down should be exactly the same but you start in the over head position. As you pull down your head goes back and you end at your upper chest. Don’t flop or jerk. Keep your elbows in front of you. Pull down with your elbows. Again, the function of your lats is to move your shoulder back and down. You need both horizontal and vertical pulls to develop them.

Or I’m just full of shit LOL.

ChrisTuttle
05-17-18, 8:30 pm
Hmmm... I´m going to give this a try.
I feel like I have never gotten a lot out of BB rows, to be honest...

Same here! So I have always tried to mimic the same motion with other equipment.

ChrisTuttle
05-17-18, 8:31 pm
By favorites are pullups and pullovers (DB and machine)

Pull ups are just SO MUCH better than pull downs in my opinion.

I do love pullovers but machine pullovers. Could never get into the DB pullover. Just could not get a good connection.

ChrisTuttle
05-17-18, 8:34 pm
Always been a fan of one arm bent over DB rows. Also like front pull downs with cables for getting a ridiculous pump, and my gym also has a few hammer strength rowing machines, one of which I’m really partial to for whatever reason.

Agree, DB rows are really good. How do you do them? ON a flat bench, from the rack, or standing?

ChrisTuttle
05-17-18, 8:35 pm
Wide grip seated cable rows

They never fail! I love them too! Pronated or neutral grip are great too.

ChrisTuttle
05-17-18, 8:37 pm

My form is very strict, no jerking, and ego at all. I just cannot get the same contraction I can with cable rows. I have done BB rows for years but just did not see the same benefit. When I stopped doing them and did more cable and machine work my back started to grow more. It is just my own body's mechanics that make it not the best for me.

ChrisTuttle
05-17-18, 8:39 pm

See I like that as well but my chest supported on a bench. Nebula makes a free weight rack for exactly that!

ChrisTuttle
05-17-18, 8:42 pm
Here’s my 2 cents on why people screw up back exercises and probably other stuff. I’ve been thinking there are 2 components to a lift that people confuse. There is your connection to the weight and where you actually carry the load. Everyone’s favorite exercise and probably the first thing you ever did in the gym is a biceps curl. For that the connection to the iron and where you carry the load are one and the same. Problem is, is that a lot of people think that for everything. For a row, your connection is your hand, but you carry the load on the back of your elbows. Most people think that if their hands are moving then they’re doing the exercise right. Wrong! Range of motion of your hands isn’t what counts. The function of your lats is to move your shoulder back and down. Hands have nothing to do with it. Try flexing your lats, you don’t move your hands. ROM of your elbows is what counts. Pulling your elbows back moves your shoulders back and contracts your lats. Bending over and bicep curling the dumbell to your chest don’t do shit. Leaning foreword and shrugging and knee popping so your hands go up and down don’t do shit. Drop the weight and do it right. This is why people quarter squat. The connection to the iron is across their upper back and they think that’s where they carry the load, so as long as the bar goes up and down they think they’re doing it. The connection is across their upper back, but you carry the load in your hips. So your hips going up and down should be what you’re looking for basically.

I also look at a lat pull down as the same as a standing over head press. For the press you start at your clavicle, head back and as you press your head goes forward so the bar is above your head. A lat pull down should be exactly the same but you start in the over head position. As you pull down your head goes back and you end at your upper chest. Don’t flop or jerk. Keep your elbows in front of you. Pull down with your elbows. Again, the function of your lats is to move your shoulder back and down. You need both horizontal and vertical pulls to develop them.

Or I’m just full of shit LOL.

100% accurate! Took me 5 years to learn that when a judge told me my back did not match my body on stage and it was a very weak body part. At the time I was confused for I could deadlift 475x20 reps. So how could my back be weak in development? From that point forward I changed to exactly what you just said above. WORLD OF DIFFERENCE.

Wrath
05-18-18, 5:17 pm
One of my favorite back exercises is chin ups. I find not a lot of people do chin ups any more. Some say there too big or that they just suck at them. You suck at them because you don’t do them. And weighing to much is bullshit I have done them at 280lbs.

I think there great for with and over all back detail. And I believe every one should be able to do a oft weight exercises

BigChrisF
05-19-18, 9:53 am
For lower back, I like deadlift. For upper back, about any form of rowing or pull-ups.

Nmowery
05-19-18, 6:29 pm
Agree, DB rows are really good. How do you do them? ON a flat bench, from the rack, or standing?

I usually do them on a flat bench, but sometimes do them at the DB rack if the benches are being used. I’m not as much of a fan of doing them in a more upright position, though.

Nmowery
05-19-18, 6:32 pm
See I like that as well but my chest supported on a bench. Nebula makes a free weight rack for exactly that!

My gym has one of the chest supported row machines that I also utilize pretty frequently. I also should add that these, with a band wrapped around the bottom of the machine and over the rowing arm, is another favorite of mine.

Nmowery
05-19-18, 6:35 pm
One of my favorite back exercises is chin ups. I find not a lot of people do chin ups any more. Some say there too big or that they just suck at them. You suck at them because you don’t do them. And weighing to much is bullshit I have done them at 280lbs.

I think there great for with and over all back detail. And I believe every one should be able to do a oft weight exercises

Honestly, I think people don’t like pull-ups/chin-ups because they can’t do many of them. My fat ass weighs 250 and can do sets of 8 reps with a 45 hanging off of me, but when I first started lifting and was around 220, I literally couldn’t do one. Lots of hard work and patience involved in that game.

Rex
05-21-18, 10:17 am
Same here! So I have always tried to mimic the same motion with other equipment.

BB rows are certainly a great exercise for most people. But if someone has problems connecting with the back muscles (like me) I think there are better options that allow more focus.

Rex
05-21-18, 10:19 am

I do love pullovers but machine pullovers. Could never get into the DB pullover. Just could not get a good connection.

I absolutely agree.
Pullups are superior by a mile.
What do you think why?

I have an opinion on that. I want to hear yours first though...

Cellardweller
05-21-18, 12:55 pm
BB rows are certainly a great exercise for most people. But if someone has problems connecting with the back muscles (like me) I think there are better options that allow more focus.

Such as?

Anyone got tips n how to properly do chins for back development? There’s different ways to do chins. I personally don’t do them often, but when I do I’d like to be sure I’m doing them right and not wasting my time.

Bean
05-21-18, 1:26 pm

I weight 400 and cant do a chin up to save my life...but I do use the assisted chin up machine as well as just see how long I can hang unassisted. I used wrist straps and a human spotter in the past when I was working to reach my one chin up goal.

Nmowery
05-21-18, 1:51 pm
Shit, when I first got back into lifting when I was 30, I couldn’t do a pull-up or a body weight dip. I started with the assisted machines, gradually taking weight off, then got to where I could do a few reps at body weight, then kept adding volume in more sets...it’s a long road to get to be able to do these well, with the exception of hella skinny dudes.

Bean
05-21-18, 3:36 pm
weigh not weight...just wanted to correct myself.

BigChrisF
05-25-18, 7:54 pm
I weight 400 and cant do a chin up to save my life...but I do use the assisted chin up machine as well as just see how long I can hang unassisted. I used wrist straps and a human spotter in the past when I was working to reach my one chin up goal.

Keep working at it. At my heaviest of 340 I was still working pull ups for sets of 3-5 reps.

ChrisTuttle
05-25-18, 8:17 pm

I would agree on that. You cannot get good at something if you do not do it regularly. Now not pull ups but chip ups with chin OVER the bar? Like Military style?

ChrisTuttle
05-25-18, 8:18 pm
I usually do them on a flat bench, but sometimes do them at the DB rack if the benches are being used. I’m not as much of a fan of doing them in a more upright position, though.

Agreed. I prefer them from the rack.

ChrisTuttle
05-25-18, 8:21 pm
My gym has one of the chest supported row machines that I also utilize pretty frequently. I also should add that these, with a band wrapped around the bottom of the machine and over the rowing arm, is another favorite of mine.

On nice! So you do not have that terrible standard chest supported T-bar row but the old school one? It is at a 30-45 degree angle and the lever arm is longer?

ChrisTuttle
05-25-18, 8:22 pm
Keep working at it. At my heaviest of 340 I was still working pull ups for sets of 3-5 reps.

3-5 reps at 340lbs????????????????????? Holy shit

Ever see that video of Desmond Miller doing weighted pull ups with 3x45 lbs plates at a body weight of 240ish? NUTS

ChrisTuttle
05-25-18, 8:26 pm
I absolutely agree.
Pullups are superior by a mile.
What do you think why?

I have an opinion on that. I want to hear yours first though...

Because you cannot use body english (momentum) for starters and you have a straight vertical pull. The lats are forced to take the full load and not the upper back muscles from leaning.

I cannot wait to hear your take.

ChrisTuttle
05-25-18, 8:27 pm

No way? You have the same issue? I do them still just not very often.

Nmowery
05-26-18, 3:30 pm
On nice! So you do not have that terrible standard chest supported T-bar row but the old school one? It is at a 30-45 degree angle and the lever arm is longer?

Yea, the angle is probably around 30 degrees, and the arm is super long. That thing doesn’t play around.

Jay Nera
05-27-18, 3:21 pm
Considering that I own a barbell club and a Crossfit gym I don’t have many machines to choose from. Chin ups and pull ups have been my favourite exercises since I was just a prepubescent snot nose, along with push ups. Pull ups are king. Over the past couple of years I have also come to love inverted rows using varying grips by using a Swiss bar.
Sidenote: every now and then I’ll hit up a globo gym for a back pump day where I use only machines and can focus on a greater squeeze and time under tension. I feel like these sessions hit the muscles in a completely different way no different than how I feel that squats are king but unilateral exercises like Bulgarians, pistols, etc... hit the legs in a more complete way. Sl dgehammer versus katana.

jack3d14
05-30-18, 12:54 pm
i like doing the close grip on the hammer strength row machine, i really feel the connection and just keep stacking plates on

ChrisTuttle
05-31-18, 1:54 pm
Yea, the angle is probably around 30 degrees, and the arm is super long. That thing doesn’t play around.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!! That is the one they have at Bev's gym. It is awesome! I love it!

ChrisTuttle
05-31-18, 1:56 pm
Considering that I own a barbell club and a Crossfit gym I don’t have many machines to choose from. Chin ups and pull ups have been my favourite exercises since I was just a prepubescent snot nose, along with push ups. Pull ups are king. Over the past couple of years I have also come to love inverted rows using varying grips by using a Swiss bar.
Sidenote: every now and then I’ll hit up a globo gym for a back pump day where I use only machines and can focus on a greater squeeze and time under tension. I feel like these sessions hit the muscles in a completely different way no different than how I feel that squats are king but unilateral exercises like Bulgarians, pistols, etc... hit the legs in a more complete way. Sl dgehammer versus katana.

Agree! Def cannot make a statement of which is best for they all play a part and offer great benefit. Love unilateral movements.

npcdusty
05-31-18, 3:24 pm
we have one at Golds where I train. I have a love hate with it!!!

YES!!!!!!!!!!!! That is the one they have at Bev's gym. It is awesome! I love it!

ChrisTuttle
05-31-18, 6:14 pm
we have one at Golds where I train. I have a love hate with it!!!

HAAHH such a great pc of equipment! It does bruise the sternum if you go too heavy HAHAH

Nmowery
06-02-18, 4:57 pm
I’m not strong enough to stack that much on the thing, but I do love when people use it for the first time, and toss a couple plates on, just to have their egos shattered by the 3rd rep.

ChrisTuttle
06-05-18, 8:36 am
I’m not strong enough to stack that much on the thing, but I do love when people use it for the first time, and toss a couple plates on, just to have their egos shattered by the 3rd rep.

AHHHA humble pie is served! HAHHAH

Rex
06-12-18, 8:20 pm

We have one like that in my gym as well. It older than I am...

Nmowery
06-12-18, 10:51 pm

Dude...two 45s never felt heavier. I can BB row 275 for 10+ reps all day, but 90 lb on that damned chest supported row is a real bitch to hit 10.

spartan300
06-15-18, 12:48 am
Many will debate that the deadlift is the king of all back exercises. As for myself the chin and all its variations have served me well in the past. I know this is going to sound blasphamis but I actually gave up traditional deadlifting very early in my bodybuilding career. I stuck mainly with hyper extensions to work my lower back, but for total lat development chins reigned supreme! So much so that I started every back workout with 100 chins! Valuable advice my old pal Jesse "ROCK" Stonewall passed on to me way back when I was knee high to a pregnant ant.

spartan300
06-15-18, 9:34 am

I do love pullovers but machine pullovers. Could never get into the DB pullover. Just could not get a good connection.Ah, the DB pullover. We did these across a bench with our asses low to the ground and with relatively straight arms. The key is keeping your hips down lower than your torso. Once your hips start riding up you lose that all important stretch. Negating the purpose of the movement. But I'm sure you already knew that. LOL!

sideburnz
07-04-18, 3:49 am
Pull ups, Chin Ups (with different width stances) & deadlifts. Covers everything.

ChrisTuttle
07-04-18, 6:42 am
Dude...two 45s never felt heavier. I can BB row 275 for 10+ reps all day, but 90 lb on that damned chest supported row is a real bitch to hit 10.

That means you have really good mechanics and able to use multiple muscles to BB row.

ChrisTuttle
07-04-18, 6:45 am
Ah, the DB pullover. We did these across a bench with our asses low to the ground and with relatively straight arms. The key is keeping your hips down lower than your torso. Once your hips start riding up you lose that all important stretch. Negating the purpose of the movement. But I'm sure you already knew that. LOL!

For me it is more of the narrow grip to the DB that feels very strange in my shoulders. A wider grip with say a EZ bar is better but I just dislike how the movement goes from easy to very hard based on gravity within the angle of the movement.

Nmowery
07-04-18, 10:39 am
I’ve tried the pullovers across a bench, and never been a fan. I will do them occasionally laying on a bench, but even then they don’t seem all that effective. I prefer to mimic the motion doing front pulldowns with cables - step back a ways, and lean forward so that you get a good lat stretch at the top, then contract into the waist.

ChrisTuttle
07-05-18, 7:04 pm
I’ve tried the pullovers across a bench, and never been a fan. I will do them occasionally laying on a bench, but even then they don’t seem all that effective. I prefer to mimic the motion doing front pulldowns with cables - step back a ways, and lean forward so that you get a good lat stretch at the top, then contract into the waist.

I agree totally! Cable in my opinion are best for that.

0RiFt0
12-19-18, 8:49 pm
I really like bent rows and tbar rows.

Has anyone tried the Natilus pull over machine that was in "Blood and Guts"? I cant find one in Australia to try

spartan300
12-20-18, 2:30 am

Has anyone tried the Natilus pull over machine that was in "Blood and Guts"? I cant find one in Australia to tryYou don't see those that much anymore. The newer pullover machines just aren't the same.

ChrisTuttle
12-20-18, 7:09 am

Has anyone tried the Natilus pull over machine that was in "Blood and Guts"? I cant find one in Australia to try

T-bar rows chest supported?

Yes I have. We have one at Powerhouse New Haven. Great machine!

spartan300
12-20-18, 10:30 am
Joe Gold had such a knack for building equipment that was bodybuilder friendly. From the dumb bell handles to the chin bars! I love that guy he was so cool to me I was just a kid Anyway I digress. I remember the first time I did chins in his gym now mind you I had done thousands of chins by this time in my young bodybuilding career so I expected the usual you know pull yourself up let yourself down yadda,yadda,yadda. But after doing the first few I realized somthing was different the BAR! THE PERFECTLY KNURLED BAR!! A bar that was not too thick and long enough to allow just enough give when you're coming out of the bottom. During my time there I started all my back workouts with 10 sets of chins. I made significant improvements in my back development that year. I have to give the majority of the credit to Joe Gold and his magic chin bar!

ChrisTuttle
12-20-18, 11:13 am
Joe Gold had such a knack for building equipment that was bodybuilder friendly. From the dumb bell handles to the chin bars! I love that guy he was so cool to me I was just a kid Anyway I digress. I remember the first time I did chins in his gym now mind you I had done thousands of chins by this time in my young bodybuilding career so I expected the usual you know pull yourself up let yourself down yadda,yadda,yadda. But after doing the first few I realized somthing was different the BAR! THE PERFECTLY KNURLED BAR!! A bar that was not too thick and long enough to allow just enough give when you're coming out of the bottom. During my time there I started all my back workouts with 10 sets of chins. I made significant improvements in my back development that year. I have to give the majority of the credit to Joe Gold and his magic chin bar!

I totally forgot about chin ups. HUGE lat recruitment! I am going to add them in next back day!

Bean
12-20-18, 11:56 am

I start my back day with attempted chin ups. I will get one unsupported one day. I tend to work on the hold and negative right now until the day I will actually be able to pull myself back up.

Altered Beast
12-20-18, 12:40 pm
I'd break it down like this:

1. Deadlift (don't lie it's hard and nothing works it better, plus conjugate variations for greater back growth);
2. Chest supported Row (plate loaded);
3. Bent Barbell Row;
4. One Arm DB Row;
5. Seated Low Row;
6. Pulldown variations;
7. Chins.

I put chins last because for us heavier guys with super long arms, it's difficult to get full back recruitment because you have to use so much forearm/biceps to pull yourself up. Also #2-4 can be in any order as they're all very great for my back development. With the Chest Supported Row you can do 3 different types of rows so that is why I placed it at #2.

Chins, Seated Low Row and Pulldown variations are typically more finishing type movements. I'm currently focusing on Rowing movements to correct some muscle imbalances and help my right shoulder sit back more in the socket.

Bean
12-20-18, 1:54 pm

1. Deadlift (don't lie it's hard and nothing works it better, plus conjugate variations for greater back growth);
3. Bent Barbell Row;
4. One Arm DB Row;
5. Seated Low Row;
6. Pulldown variations;
7. Chins.

I put chins last because for us heavier guys with super long arms, it's difficult to get full back recruitment because you have to use so much forearm/biceps to pull yourself up. Also #2-4 can be in any order as they're all very great for my back development. With the Chest Supported Row you can do 3 different types of rows so that is why I placed it at #2.

Chins, Seated Low Row and Pulldown variations are typically more finishing type movements. I'm currently focusing on Rowing movements to correct some muscle imbalances and help my right shoulder sit back more in the socket.

I am sooo happy it is my back day today and this thread resurfaced. I think I am going to try your routine today Beast. Yes, I know the struggles of being a long armed big guy. I am a little worried that I will be too spent to even hold myself for the negatives with the chins at the end but ill give it a go

Bean
12-20-18, 1:55 pm
Is there too much vanity in this thread as well? Just checking :)

Altered Beast
12-20-18, 1:57 pm
I am sooo happy it is my back day today and this thread resurfaced. I think I am going to try your routine today Beast. Yes, I know the struggles of being a long armed big guy. I am a little worried that I will be too spent to even hold myself for the negatives with the chins at the end but ill give it a go

Those are some of my favorite exercises I perform regularly. Typically, 5 movements and if I have time and my muscles aren't fried I'll hit a 6th.

Altered Beast
12-20-18, 1:57 pm
Is there too much vanity in this thread as well? Just checking :)

No clue what you're talking about =)

Bean
12-20-18, 2:02 pm
Those are some of my favorite exercises I perform regularly. Typically, 5 movements and if I have time and my muscles aren't fried I'll hit a 6th.

same here...5 on a regular day with variations from week to week

spartan300
12-20-18, 2:47 pm

3. Bent Barbell Row;
4. One Arm DB Row;
5. Seated Low Row;
6. Pulldown variations;
7. Chins.

Chins, Seated Low Row and Pulldown variations are typically more finishing type movements. I'm currently focusing on Rowing movements to correct some muscle imbalances and help my right shoulder sit back more in the socket.I was basically shamed into doing deadlifts early. You know the "All show and no go"! Bullshit. I started very slow, very light for fear of injury. After some goading ( and I use the term lightly) I began using some serious poundages (for me anyway) long story short 505 for 3 @ 186 lbs. after 3 weeks. It just wasn't worth the effort for what I was doing. So I dropped it and went back to my 100 hypers a day (with no resistance added) Oh yeah, I also did my bent over rows OLD SCHOOL STYLE I'm sure that had a lot to do building strength in my lumbars.

Altered Beast
12-20-18, 3:07 pm
I was basically shamed into doing deadlifts early. You know the "All show and no go"! Bullshit. I started very slow, very light for fear of injury. After some goading ( and I use the term lightly) I began using some serious poundages (for me anyway) long story short 505 for 3 @ 186 lbs. after 3 weeks. It just wasn't worth the effort for what I was doing. So I dropped it and went back to my 100 hypers a day (with no resistance added) Oh yeah, I also did my bent over rows OLD SCHOOL STYLE I'm sure that had a lot to do building strength in my lumbars.

Rack pulls are your friend =) train them from various heights.

spartan300
12-20-18, 3:36 pm
Rack pulls are your friend =) train them from various heights.Mid shin or just below the knee? What's your take on it? I've been considering them Tex.

0RiFt0
12-20-18, 5:46 pm
You don't see those that much anymore. The newer pullover machines just aren't the same.

Shame, I'm yet to try the later even.

T-bar rows chest supported?

Yes I have. We have one at Powerhouse New Haven. Great machine!

Not so much. I like the barbell in the corner ones, I"ll do my best to describe why. I start with my back parallel to the ground, arms full stretched out in front of my head so it stretches my lat right out too. Then as I pull the weight up my back gradually goes from parallel to maybe 45 degrees. Because of that my elbow starts around my head then finishes at my side.
It certainly looks it. We have and abundance of chest isolation machines, you would hope a pullover machine would be as common.
Is New Haven the gym with the red room of +20lbs?

3. Bent Barbell Row;
4. One Arm DB Row;
5. Seated Low Row;
6. Pulldown variations;
7. Chins.

I re-incorporated deadlifts after seeing Jordan Peter's back. The did very little for my "back" but a huge amount for my hams, erectors and glutes so I keep doing them.

spartan300
12-20-18, 7:40 pm
No clue what you're talking about =) I think Da' Bean was throwing a dig back his way! Those seven deadlies will get you everytime!

ChrisTuttle
12-21-18, 6:07 am
[QUOTE=0RiFt0;1465674]Shame, I'm yet to try the later even.

Not so much. I like the barbell in the corner ones, I"ll do my best to describe why. I start with my back parallel to the ground, arms full stretched out in front of my head so it stretches my lat right out too. Then as I pull the weight up my back gradually goes from parallel to maybe 45 degrees. Because of that my elbow starts around my head then finishes at my side.
It certainly looks it. We have and abundance of chest isolation machines, you would hope a pullover machine would be as common.
Is New Haven the gym with the red room of +20lbs?

I will have to give those a shot again. I never used to like them for I never felt a good connection with them. Yes, New Haven Powerhouse is where Evan trains.

Bean
12-21-18, 10:43 am
I think Da' Bean was throwing a dig back his way! Those seven deadlies will get you everytime!

Just joking about whoever commented in the arm post that vanity filled the thread. Just my attempt at stupid humor that only a few would understand.

Bean
12-21-18, 10:45 am
Killed the chin ups at the end of a killer lift yesterday. Ended up getting three sets of 8 in with a hand spot on my ankles...full exhaustion and feeling it today. Got to love it.Thanks Beast and the boys

Altered Beast
12-21-18, 11:59 am
I re-incorporated deadlifts after seeing Jordan Peter's back. The did very little for my "back" but a huge amount for my hams, erectors and glutes so I keep doing them.

Bruddah, I said hit a variety of conjugate movements with the Deadlift to maximize gains. Rack Pulls from various heights, pulling off of blocks at different heights, pull vs band & chains, reverse band deadlift, etc. You can even try different bars to keep the gains coming.

*If you're just pulling from the floor week in and week out, the same muscles get trained. Rack Pulls for example or pulling against accomodating resistance hammers the back muscles.

In my experience I've noticed, when it comes to the Powerlifts (basic Barbell movements) variety is the ultimate way to never stagnate. I'm blessed to have endless toys to keep the gains coming so I've done plenty of experimentation.

0RiFt0
12-21-18, 3:58 pm
Bruddah, I said hit a variety of conjugate movements with the Deadlift to maximize gains. Rack Pulls from various heights, pulling off of blocks at different heights, pull vs band & chains, reverse band deadlift, etc. You can even try different bars to keep the gains coming.

How do you decide when to try a different variation. When you stagnate on the orginal? Would you do more than one in the same period of time?

spartan300
12-22-18, 4:11 am
Just joking about whoever commented in the arm post that vanity filled the thread. Just my attempt at stupid humor that only a few would understand. ; )