PDA

View Full Version : High frequency leg training?

Cro-Mag
06-07-18, 6:19 pm
so what are everyone’s thoughts on high frequency leg training? I’ve had splits where I train them once a week, currently hitting them twice a week (with different exercises on each workout), and I’ve been thinking about adding a third leg day to bring them up more. This basically comes to training legs every other day, which seems like a lot, so I want to hear if anyone else has tried this, and what kind of results you saw. Did you notice improvements in your legs? Or were you too totally F’ed on recovery for anything to grow at all?

MRmichael.hooker
06-08-18, 9:52 am
so what are everyone’s thoughts on high frequency leg training? I’ve had splits where I train them once a week, currently hitting them twice a week (with different exercises on each workout), and I’ve been thinking about adding a third leg day to bring them up more. This basically comes to training legs every other day, which seems like a lot, so I want to hear if anyone else has tried this, and what kind of results you saw. Did you notice improvements in your legs? Or were you too totally F’ed on recovery for anything to grow at all?

I'd think 2x a week would be the most I'd wanna do if size/bodybuilding was my goal, to take advantage of recovery. In powerlifting I've squatted as much as 4x a week (Smolov) and had tremendous success with strength gains, but size wasn't my goal. In bodybuilding, I'm not sure if I ever did legs as a whole 2x a week. For a little while I'd do quads/calves one day and hams/calves another in the same week. My legs just responded well with heavy training 1x a week with reps from 8-20 (depending on the exercise). If it were me and I was going to do legs 2x a week for size/development, I would make sure to do 2 diff workouts. Reps 6-10 one workout and 15+ with drop sets & supersets, etc, the other workout. Again this is all just my thought process on it. Would 3x a week HURT you? I'm not sure. I would think you'd be ok. It just doesn't sound as optimal to me as 1-2x a week and allowing them to recover. Rest=growth.

Nmowery
06-08-18, 10:28 pm
It can be done...just need to be careful to properly program/regulate the volume and intensity to match the increase frequency. Do the same total number of sets - or maybe slightly more - that you’d do in a high volume/1 day a week workout, split up over multiple days.

BigChrisF
06-10-18, 3:11 am
I've done high frequency/high volume squatting via a modified smolov program and I saw really good results with it. Unfortunately it is not something that can be kept up for extended periods of time due to the physical and mental toll it takes on you. For like 12 week cycles, I think it is a wonderful way to really make some headway on a stalled squat.

Rex
06-10-18, 10:45 am

Go for and stop worrying. I´m training legs at least 3 or 4 times a week. Always.