PDA

View Full Version : meat grinding 101

THEROK
06-11-18, 3:35 pm
ok fellas, after many years of wanting to grind my steak burgers, and inspired by the ‘vertical diet’ thead/video, i finally pulled the trigger on a meat grinder. i purchased an STX 4000 Turboforce II. i have a freezer full of steaks, beef and vension and cant wait to get to grinding. i will post my recipes and results

if anyone would like to share their recipes, tips, experiences etc...post ‘em up!

Bean
06-11-18, 5:46 pm
Never grinded any meat but from my understanding ( I could be wrong) If you are grinding a lean piece of meat... you may need to add some fat as a binding agent if you are making patties. That's just what I heard but I am looking forward to guys in here with real knowledge.

THEROK
06-12-18, 12:52 am
whassup bean, yes you are correct..very lean cuts of meat arent the best to make burgers...from the little bit i read, it seems 85% is ideal. you want to cube or cut the steaks into strips then freeze them for about 30mins. this allows the blades to cleanly cut the meat without it getting warm and stringy, keeping good texture and flavor

Altered Beast
06-12-18, 2:18 pm
Might want to mix the game meat and leaner meats with some pork for moisture and flavor; otherwise, your meat will be bone dry and tasteless.

THEROK
06-14-18, 1:54 pm
that makes sense AB. im gonna be doing a lot of experiementing..as long i can keep the rest of my diet in check, im not concerned about the higher fat content. was also thinking after the meat is ground to add an egg into the mix and see how that works

Altered Beast
06-15-18, 11:55 am
that makes sense AB. im gonna be doing a lot of experiementing..as long i can keep the rest of my diet in check, im not concerned about the higher fat content. was also thinking after the meat is ground to add an egg into the mix and see how that works

Most welcome! I'm sure there are plenty of recipes and instructional vids on youtube to get ya started.

THEROK
07-01-18, 10:35 pm
okay im back, finally had a chance to unbox and wash up the meat grinder..it was actually very easy to setup and use. only a small handfull of parts that you need to wash after using it.

i had about 2lbs of london broil that i cut into long strips then placed them and the meat grinder attachments/parts in the freezer for 30mins- you want the meat crunchy but not solid. i ran the london broil through the grinder 2 times then made 4 large patties. all i used was salt pepper and montreal seasoning and cooked them stovetop in a cast iron skillet- i purposely made these as plain as possible just to see how they’d come out...and they were friggin delicious..i had some fresh jasmine rice in the rice cooker. wow what a meal- didnt even use any sauces or condiments. this is the way to go. cant wait to make some more. next time is gonna be some fresh shaved onions and garlic into the mix

Altered Beast
07-02-18, 3:13 pm
okay im back, finally had a chance to unbox and wash up the meat grinder..it was actually very easy to setup and use. only a small handfull of parts that you need to wash after using it.

i had about 2lbs of london broil that i cut into long strips then placed them and the meat grinder attachments/parts in the freezer for 30mins- you want the meat crunchy but not solid. i ran the london broil through the grinder 2 times then made 4 large patties. all i used was salt pepper and montreal seasoning and cooked them stovetop in a cast iron skillet- i purposely made these as plain as possible just to see how they’d come out...and they were friggin delicious..i had some fresh jasmine rice in the rice cooker. wow what a meal- didnt even use any sauces or condiments. this is the way to go. cant wait to make some more. next time is gonna be some fresh shaved onions and garlic into the mix

Sounds fantastic! Wish I had the time, LOL!

Rex
07-02-18, 6:22 pm
ok fellas, after many years of wanting to grind my steak burgers, and inspired by the ‘vertical diet’ thead/video, i finally pulled the trigger on a meat grinder. i purchased an STX 4000 Turboforce II. i have a freezer full of steaks, beef and vension and cant wait to get to grinding. i will post my recipes and results

if anyone would like to share their recipes, tips, experiences etc...post ‘em up!

I have had a meat grinder for 10 years.
I love that thing!

No recipes though. Just meat and that´s it...

spartan300
07-03-18, 1:34 am
I have an old hand crank version that still gets the job done. You can get pretty creative with one.

THEROK
07-03-18, 12:59 pm
also, for what its worth, london broil is about 90/10 as far as fat content goes- so pretty lean for red meat. for my burgers i did not add anything (fat) to them but i did add a little butter and coconut oil to the cast iron skillet. they tasted great- fresh and not greasy at all. the patties also stayed together no problem. i thought maybe they would need more moisture to stay intact.

spartan300
07-03-18, 1:12 pm
also, for what its worth, london broil is about 90/10 as far as fat content goes- so pretty lean for red meat. for my burgers i did not add anything (fat) to them but i did add a little butter and coconut oil to the cast iron skillet. they tasted great- fresh and not greasy at all. the patties also stayed together no problem. i thought maybe they would need more moisture to stay intact.I love that shit!

Altered Beast
07-03-18, 4:50 pm
What did you add to the london broil to give it such flavor? A high fat pork product possibly?

THEROK
07-03-18, 6:02 pm
What did you add to the london broil to give it such flavor? A high fat pork product possibly?

nah man, straight up london broil- salt pepper and steak seasoning fried in a cast iron skillet.

THEROK
07-05-18, 9:41 am
next up was to make ground chicken patties from boneless skinless chicken thighs. i had about 3lbs i took out from the freezer. i washed and trimmed them up a bit getting rid of the excess fat and cut them into smaller pieces. i put them in the freezer for about an hour along w the grinder attachments. i ran them through the grinder 2x into a finer grind than i did the steaks. i formed them into 8oz patties and added salt, pepper, and grillmates chicken seasoning. i cooked them stovetop in my cast iron skillet until well done.

once again, they came out excellent - juicy, good flavor, and delicious! they just had a different texture and taste than anything else i ever had. im not sure if i like them more than the thighs just cooked well done on a grill (those are some of my favorite!!) but really good nonetheless. i made them for my family and everyone thought they were great.

*esp w chicken, you want the meat to be icy and cold. chicken seems to get stringy and mushy easier than red meat

THEROK
07-11-18, 11:08 am
okay i made a huge pot of chili last night. another chance to try something new, so i ground up 5lbs of flank steak and flat iron steak along with a variety of peppers (jalapeno, serrano, poblano, red/yellow bell) and onions and garlic. plus black and dark red kidney beans. i only ran the steak 1x through for a course grind. i also added a couple lbs of hot italian sausage for which also adds a ton of good flavor

came out really good- love the course ground steak in there- simmering that chili made the beef super tender but you can tell it was different than store bought hamburger meat. had some family and friends have a bowl and it was excellent.

side note: i cook up a box of large elbow macaroni then put a cup or so plain into a bowl, then cover with parmesan cheese, add the chili over that and add what ya like- i like fresh diced onions, jalapenos, sour cream- good as hell!!

Altered Beast
07-11-18, 12:13 pm
okay i made a huge pot of chili last night. another chance to try something new, so i ground up 5lbs of flank steak and flat iron steak along with a variety of peppers (jalapeno, serrano, poblano, red/yellow bell) and onions and garlic. plus black and dark red kidney beans. i only ran the steak 1x through for a course grind. i also added a couple lbs of hot italian sausage for which also adds a ton of good flavor

came out really good- love the course ground steak in there- simmering that chili made the beef super tender but you can tell it was different than store bought hamburger meat. had some family and friends have a bowl and it was excellent.

side note: i cook up a box of large elbow macaroni then put a cup or so plain into a bowl, then cover with parmesan cheese, add the chili over that and add what ya like- i like fresh diced onions, jalapenos, sour cream- good as hell!!

Where's mine at????? =)

Rex
07-11-18, 12:14 pm
I have an old hand crank version that still gets the job done. You can get pretty creative with one.

How´s the pump!?!? Haha

Rex
07-11-18, 12:28 pm
nah man, straight up london broil- salt pepper and steak seasoning fried in a cast iron skillet.

Way to go.

MRmichael.hooker
07-11-18, 3:49 pm
How´s the pump!?!? Haha

Gotta take some L-citrulline prior to really get some good benefits out of making dinner, lol. Pretty sure that's how Frank got his forearms

Altered Beast
07-12-18, 12:29 pm
Gotta take some L-citrulline prior to really get some good benefits out of making dinner, lol. Pretty sure that's how Frank got his forearms

Or he pins directly into his forearms, LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just kidding just kidding.

Rex
07-12-18, 2:42 pm

No matter what or how much anyone takes of anything, Frank´s forearms will forever remain untouched. Trust me.

Rex
07-12-18, 5:56 pm
Or he pins directly into his forearms, LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just kidding just kidding.

If only it was that easy...

Altered Beast
07-13-18, 11:32 am
If only it was that easy...

LOL!