PDA

View Full Version : How committed are you?

spartan300
06-24-18, 11:35 am
On your list of priorities where does training rank? #1? #2? Most here do not compete, so what keeps us motivated? Reaching that elusive total ? Building an 18" arm? We gather here for a purpose, we look to each other for acceptance and support. Personally this forum renewed my interest in training after years of being disillusioned with the turn bodybuilding took years ago. I can relate to the "ANIMAL" philosophy. The guys that get paid to be here I can understand why they're here but what's YOUR STORY? Why ANIMAL?

Cellardweller
06-24-18, 12:29 pm
I had got married, quit training and became a fat pathetic version of myself. I had a partial tear of a tendon in my ankle and had 3 months off work. Bored, I picked up an old M&F magazine and found an Animal ad. It spoke to me so I googled Animal Pak and found the FORVM. The articles and mentality here changed and saved my life. I have even stepped on the platform a few times. Training for me is #1 and it’s gotten me into some arguments with the wife LOL

spartan300
06-24-18, 3:26 pm
i had got married, quit training and became a fat pathetic version of myself. I had a partial tear of a tendon in my ankle and had 3 months off work. Bored, i picked up an old m&f magazine and found an animal ad. It spoke to me so i googled animal pak and found the forvm. The articles and mentality here changed and saved my life. I have even stepped on the platform a few times. Training for me is #1 and it’s gotten me into some arguments with the wife lolGreat post brother!

Rex
06-24-18, 7:22 pm
I´ve been committed since the day I first started training 15 years ago.
That´s why I´m one of the guys getting paid for being here...

spartan300
06-24-18, 10:35 pm
I´ve been committed since the day I first started training 15 years ago.
That´s why I´m one of the guys getting paid for being here... Would you be here if you weren't?

Nmowery
06-24-18, 11:21 pm
Not as much as I’d like to be - at least in certain aspects

Having a full time job, wife, and kids it’s tough sometimes to get the time to train - I am pretty regular with getting my lifting in, but it’s mostly the diet and supplement end that I struggle with, which frustrates me because it’s something that I should be able to have 100% control over.

spartan300
06-25-18, 12:15 am

Having a full time job, wife, and kids it’s tough sometimes to get the time to train - I am pretty regular with getting my lifting in, but it’s mostly the diet and supplement end that I struggle with, which frustrates me because it’s something that I should be able to have 100% control over.
Hang in there!

Rex
06-25-18, 9:24 am
Would you be here if you weren't?

My passion for bodybuilding would not change, if that is what you mean.

Rex
06-25-18, 9:27 am

Life gets in the way. For sure.
As long as you can look in the mirror at night and say to yourself "at least I did everything I possibly could have done.", you should hold your head up high.

Nmowery
06-25-18, 9:38 am
As long as you can look in the mirror at night and say to yourself "at least I did everything I possibly could have done.", you should hold your head up high.

Seems here lately I look in the mirror at night and say “oh shit, I forgot to take my pak and fish oil today!”. But...these things are minor in the scope of life - forgetting something like that because I spent the evening playing with my kids isn’t going to make me lose any sleep.

MRmichael.hooker
06-25-18, 9:59 am
Gym wise - improving my strength (the Big 3), improving my overall composition and being better than last month

Overall what keeps me motivated to workout and stay in shape and eat healthy - my family. I don't want to be the Dad who is winded trying to play catch with my sons. I don't want to allow myself to have high blood pressure or be overweight and give my body any extra reason to die before I'm a grandfather or great-grandfather. I don't want to leave my wife early in life. I want to do what I can to live a long & healthy life for my family. I want to stick around for a while.

spartan300
06-25-18, 1:03 pm
gym wise - improving my strength (the big 3), improving my overall composition and being better than last month

overall what keeps me motivated to workout and stay in shape and eat healthy - my family. I don't want to be the dad who is winded trying to play catch with my sons. I don't want to allow myself to have high blood pressure or be overweight and give my body any extra reason to die before i'm a grandfather or great-grandfather. I don't want to leave my wife early in life. I want to do what i can to live a long & healthy life for my family. I want to stick around for a while. stay animal brother!

spartan300
06-25-18, 1:28 pm
My passion for bodybuilding would not change, if that is what you mean.
Did you pick Animal? or... Did Animal pick you?

Bean
06-25-18, 1:30 pm
Bouncing at a bar..a guy started talking to me about big on a budget. I watched it and it made sense. Decided to join a gym and change my life style because I was far away from where I was when I played college ball. Found the forum and liked the information I was getting. Fast forward to today.. Im not in the best shape but Im happy with where I am at and continue to lift 6 days a week. And the response that I get from people drives me as well as changes I see in myself. That moment when you start to notice some muscle definition while doing lateral raises and you think, " Fuck yeah!" or like this last weekend when a guy wanted me to take a picture with his wife and her friend because he said he had to get a picture of my arms next to his wife. But ultimately those last two things fall under one ultimate category for me... Therapy. It is truly therapy to get in the gym and just lift. I feel better on the inside and outside when I am done and want to keep coming back for that feeling.

spartan300
06-25-18, 1:58 pm
Bouncing at a bar..a guy started talking to me about big on a budget. I watched it and it made sense. Decided to join a gym and change my life style because I was far away from where I was when I played college ball. Found the forum and liked the information I was getting. Fast forward to today.. Im not in the best shape but Im happy with where I am at and continue to lift 6 days a week. And the response that I get from people drives me as well as changes I see in myself. That moment when you start to notice some muscle definition while doing lateral raises and you think, " Fuck yeah!" or like this last weekend when a guy wanted me to take a picture with his wife and her friend because he said he had to get a picture of my arms next to his wife. But ultimately those last two things fall under one ultimate category for me... Therapy. It is truly therapy to get in the gym and just lift. I feel better on the inside and outside when I am done and want to keep coming back for that feeling. I love it Brother!

spartan300
06-25-18, 4:35 pm
While preparing for the 81' nationals I was working 2 fulltime jobs and a part time one on the weekends. Granted one of the full time jobs was managing a gym but make no mistake it was still very much a job. Never missed a meal never deviated from my game plan oh did I mention my wife and new born son. I worked that second full time job so my wife could provide my son with uninterrupted care and nurturing. My igloo cooler became my constant companion.i knew I needed to do things this way so it didn't inconvenience my family nor negatively impact my prep time.

Bean
06-25-18, 5:49 pm
While preparing for the 81' nationals I was working 2 fulltime jobs and a part time one on the weekends. Granted one of the full time jobs was managing a gym but make no mistake it was still very much a job. Never missed a meal never deviated from my game plan oh did I mention my wife and new born son. I worked that second full time job so my wife could provide my son with uninterrupted care and nurturing. My igloo cooler became my constant companion.i knew I needed to do things this way so it didn't inconvenience my family nor negatively impact my prep time.

Iron sharpens iron... the tough times is what makes us who we become.

spartan300
06-25-18, 6:35 pm
Iron sharpens iron... the tough times is what makes us who we become.We must rise to the occasion and come hell or high water make it out on the other side and be a better man for it.

ChrisTuttle
06-25-18, 7:18 pm
I would say I am 110% committed to diet over training. Diet 1st and Training 2nd. If diet goes to shit training goes to shit. I can always train the next day if I need too. Last 15 years I have been overly committed but realized over time that I do not to be so OCD to make progress. Sometimes trying too hard sends you backwards. I realized that the hard way. I am paid to be here but my commitment to health and training would never change. I would however say goodbye to social media forever for I actually hate it!

ChrisTuttle
06-25-18, 7:19 pm

That is right! Esp when you get older life happens all the time and we have to go to more extremes to make our lifestyle work.

ChrisTuttle
06-25-18, 7:19 pm

Rex is an animal that was chosen by the animal. Pack mentality AHAH

spartan300
06-26-18, 1:40 am
Rex is an animal that was chosen by the animal. Pack mentality AHAHI like you Mr. Tuttle. We need more like you as ambassadors for our sport.

ChrisTuttle
06-26-18, 10:43 am
I like you Mr. Tuttle. We need more like you as ambassadors for our sport.

Thanks bud I appreciate that. Currently about half the MOST popular guys (will not mention names LOL) are actually NOT good people at all. I agree though. We need more people like Evan. People have who have integrity and have good intentions.

spartan300
06-26-18, 11:32 am
Thanks bud I appreciate that. Currently about half the MOST popular guys (will not mention names LOL) are actually NOT good people at all. I agree though. We need more people like Evan. People have who have integrity and have good intentions. Of course Evan is a shining example, but you my friend exhibit all the qualities of a humble but wise champion! Truly Old school. People use that term but they don't have a clue. Keep being you Chris you're doing great!

Altered Beast
06-26-18, 12:16 pm
I'll come back to this. Will take some time to type it up =)

spartan300
06-26-18, 12:52 pm
I'll come back to this. Will take some time to type it up =);)

ChrisTuttle
06-26-18, 8:09 pm
Of course Evan is a shining example, but you my friend exhibit all the qualities of a humble but wise champion! Truly Old school. People use that term but they don't have a clue. Keep being you Chris you're doing great!

Thanks. Probably the years of racing motocross as a kid and getting my ass kicked and run over. Kept at it for 10 years plus and did well. I do feel that individual sports teach you many things that transfer into life.

spartan300
06-27-18, 3:25 am
Thanks. Probably the years of racing motocross as a kid and getting my ass kicked and run over. Kept at it for 10 years plus and did well. I do feel that individual sports teach you many things that transfer into life. Amen to that brother!

Bean
06-27-18, 10:44 am
Thanks. Probably the years of racing motocross as a kid and getting my ass kicked and run over. Kept at it for 10 years plus and did well. I do feel that individual sports teach you many things that transfer into life.

100% Wrestling did that for me. When you step on the mat...its only you. Better figure shit out quick and find out what works to help you succeed otherwise its going to be a long and painful day.

spartan300
06-27-18, 1:19 pm
100% Wrestling did that for me. When you step on the mat...its only you. Better figure shit out quick and find out what works to help you succeed otherwise its going to be a long and painful day.You had YOU to blame if you got your ass handed to you.

Rex
06-27-18, 6:35 pm

I was visiting the FIBO Expo as a tourist and went to train with a buddy of mine later at night. Universal had a booth at the expo and their crew coincidentally picked the same gym to train.
We were doing barbell rows, minding our own business and suddenly, in between sets, someone came up to me, handed me a business card and asked who I was. I had a contract 2 weeks later...
I was an absolute nobody at that point. No procard. No notoriety in any way. They just seemed to like me for some reason...

Rex
06-27-18, 6:37 pm
That is right! Esp when you get older life happens all the time and we have to go to more extremes to make our lifestyle work.

Yes... You have to schedule time with your girl just like you schedule training sessions and meals in order to keep her around... I realized that way too late...

spartan300
06-27-18, 11:12 pm
I was visiting the FIBO Expo as a tourist and went to train with a buddy of mine later at night. Universal had a booth at the expo and their crew coincidentally picked the same gym to train.
We were doing barbell rows, minding our own business and suddenly, in between sets, someone came up to me, handed me a business card and asked who I was. I had a contract 2 weeks later...
I was an absolute nobody at that point. No procard. No notoriety in any way. They just seemed to like me for some reason...Every musclehead's dream! You lucky bastard LOL!

Bean
06-28-18, 10:53 am
I was an absolute nobody at that point. No procard. No notoriety in any way. They just seemed to like me for some reason...

Right place at the right time...things like that are not a coincidence. Rad story

Altered Beast
06-28-18, 11:20 am

Raw talent is always gleaming like a super bright LED flashlight on a dark, cloudy night! The only person who never sees that light is the person with the raw talent. Funny how that works!

spartan300
06-28-18, 12:46 pm
Raw talent is always gleaming like a super bright LED flashlight on a dark, cloudy night! The only person who never sees that light is the person with the raw talent. Funny how that works!I just think some people are born with a horse shoe up there ass! LOL! But thats just me Beast.

ChrisTuttle
06-28-18, 3:16 pm
100% Wrestling did that for me. When you step on the mat...its only you. Better figure shit out quick and find out what works to help you succeed otherwise its going to be a long and painful day.

That is just it! Feeling total defeat is a good thing. I builds mental toughness, drive, and focus. Makes a man out of us. Transfers to all facets of life!

ChrisTuttle
06-28-18, 3:17 pm

Probably because you were serious, lifted hard, looked good, and had that look.

Nmowery
06-28-18, 8:42 pm

Honestly, I love that animal stakes their image and reputation on guys like you and Mass, who - objectively/respectively - hadn’t done shit in the sport on the competitive level when first bringing you into the fold.

Anyone can throw some sponsorships at some guys fresh off the Olympia stage, and use their name to sell a few tubs of whatever, but it’s a whole different deal to see a stranger in a gym and stake your success on that which they haven’t yet achieved.

ChrisTuttle
06-29-18, 6:31 am
Honestly, I love that animal stakes their image and reputation on guys like you and Mass, who - objectively/respectively - hadn’t done shit in the sport on the competitive level when first bringing you into the fold.

Anyone can throw some sponsorships at some guys fresh off the Olympia stage, and use their name to sell a few tubs of whatever, but it’s a whole different deal to see a stranger in a gym and stake your success on that which they haven’t yet achieved.

I agree totally! More respectable that way for sure. Many tops guys in my opinion are NOT the best representation of products. I want REAL people

Rex
07-10-18, 6:09 pm
Every musclehead's dream! You lucky bastard LOL!

Trust me. I took a lot of hard work until I got to the point where people callled me "lucky".

Rex
07-10-18, 6:10 pm

I appreciate that, brother. Couldn´t agree more.
I can´t think of any other company that does that...

Rex
07-10-18, 6:14 pm
I agree totally! More respectable that way for sure. Many tops guys in my opinion are NOT the best representation of products. I want REAL people

My problem with these sponsorship jumpers has always been their credibility.
One year they are
"so happy to be part of the XY family! Without a doubt the best products I´ve ever used. I´ve used their products even before I have been a sponsored athlete..."
the next year they say the same about company ABC. It´s ridiculous...

V23
07-10-18, 9:02 pm
Remember just showing up to the gym for a workout is a win

spartan300
07-11-18, 12:35 am
Remember just showing up to the gym for a workout is a win
Especially on those days when its below zero and the car is covered in a foot of snow!

Altered Beast
07-11-18, 11:07 am
Especially on those days when its below zero and the car is covered in a foot of snow!

Or when you've got new born babies and you haven't slept well in 3 years =) funny how I've been the most motivated in that state, most likely due to my babies and wanting to see them instead of spending 2-3 hours training.

Dave Tate said it best, you shouldn't pat yourself on the back for shit you should be doing. He had also mentioned that training when you truly don't want to nor have the energy to is considered grinding or committed.

You'll like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpaVRf8SnzY

Nmowery
07-11-18, 8:24 pm
Doing shit when you don’t feel like it is literally what separates the men from the boys - in the gym and otherwise

spartan300
07-11-18, 9:48 pm
Or when you've got new born babies and you haven't slept well in 3 years =) funny how I've been the most motivated in that state, most likely due to my babies and wanting to see them instead of spending 2-3 hours training.

Dave Tate said it best, you shouldn't pat yourself on the back for shit you should be doing. He had also mentioned that training when you truly don't want to nor have the energy to is considered grinding or committed.

You'll like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpaVRf8SnzYIt's been a while for me Beast but those little miracles don't stay little forever.

spartan300
07-11-18, 11:45 pm
Doing shit when you don’t feel like it is literally what separates the men from the boys - in the gym and otherwise it has a profound effect on the maturation process.

Altered Beast
07-12-18, 12:36 pm
Doing shit when you don’t feel like it is literally what separates the men from the boys - in the gym and otherwise

Agrreed!

It's been a while for me Beast but those little miracles don't stay little forever.

My wife keeps reminding me =) I spend every minute I can with them. Another of many reasons why I'll be moving The Dungeon to my home soon.

it has a profound effect on the maturation process.

It really does!

ChrisTuttle
07-12-18, 6:00 pm
My problem with these sponsorship jumpers has always been their credibility.
One year they are
"so happy to be part of the XY family! Without a doubt the best products I´ve ever used. I´ve used their products even before I have been a sponsored athlete..."
the next year they say the same about company ABC. It´s ridiculous...

100%. Same here. I was using Universal why and Animal pak in high school! HAHH!

I love about our company is they allow us to say what we want and be free. Speaks integrity about the company.

spartan300
07-13-18, 2:41 am
100%. Same here. I was using Universal why and Animal pak in high school! HAHH!

I love about our company is they allow us to say what we want and be free. Speaks integrity about the company. He is ANIMAL! THOUGHT,WORD AND DEED!