PDA

View Full Version : Do you train alone?

spartan300
11-05-18, 3:53 am
What are your thoughts on training partners? A necessity? A distraction?

tom_bart
11-05-18, 5:51 am
When i was at uni, i trained with the same guy every day for 3 years - and it was very productive. We had the same goals, and we became responsible for each other, chasing up about meals etc. In the gym it helps to have a spotter who's always around, brings up the intensity, etc. But I don't think we said a word to each other between sets, both just listening to music, and workouts about 2 hours long.

Since then I've trained with several people, on and off, including my girlfriend for a time, and none of them were 'good' - shows up in a bad mood, bad attitude, wants to chat all the time, late, wants to finish early, the list goes on. I found myself looking forward to training alone, because i felt my workouts were a lot better.

It's not necessarily a reflection on any of the people i trained with -- they're not malicious or whatever - just didn't work well together. I think a good training partner is someone who's goals and style aligns with yours, which is often hard to find. (much like in life in general, i guess)

tldr; a good training partner is gold - a bad one is wasting your time (and theirs).

MR.TeachFreak
11-05-18, 8:28 am
What are your thoughts on training partners? A necessity? A distraction?

I dont think they are a necessity but a good training partner can make a lot of difference. It can go either way. I usually train alone (joys of strongman in a small town) but have a friend that I occasionally do event training with. I do find myself more confident in some heavy lifts (like bench) if I have a good spotter there, even though I have safeties in place anyways. And while neither of us are super vocal we do push each other in our training. So I can go either way myself.

Though since I train mostly at the school I teach at I have to be careful who I train with and how many people, for liability reasons.

I sweat I remember a old article somewhere that was written about how to be a good training partner and things to look for in one.

Cellardweller
11-05-18, 2:26 pm
Alone. Haven’t had a partner in a long time. Finding someone with the same goals and work ethic is difficult. Certainly don’t want to spend half my time chit chatting.

ChrisTuttle
11-05-18, 5:58 pm
Alone. Haven’t had a partner in a long time. Finding someone with the same goals and work ethic is difficult. Certainly don’t want to spend half my time chit chatting.

100% agree! You have to find a good match which is harder as you get older. People have different schedules.

ChrisTuttle
11-05-18, 5:59 pm
LOVE training by myself. I find it much more effective. Focus more and push harder. Not to mention I NEED TO DO WHAT I NEED TO DO in the gym as far as exercise selection.

spartan300
11-06-18, 12:23 am
Thanks gentlemen!

BOSS
11-06-18, 11:57 am
To me the perfect scenario is training in a group of 3. It's funny as Charles Poliquin specifically made the same point, but this is the best way to keep on a perfect tempo in the workouts so you rest the right amount between sets and keep pushing.

I'd rather train by myself than with a crappy training partner though...

Nmowery
11-06-18, 12:23 pm
Mostly alone. There’s a powerlifting “team” lately at my gym, but they spend most of their time dicking off and worrying more about producing social media content than lifting, so I can’t really stand training with them.

Altered Beast
11-06-18, 12:47 pm

I agree 110%!

To me the perfect scenario is training in a group of 3. It's funny as Charles Poliquin specifically made the same point, but this is the best way to keep on a perfect tempo in the workouts so you rest the right amount between sets and keep pushing.

I'd rather train by myself than with a crappy training partner though...

Never knew that! Interesting.

Mostly alone. There’s a powerlifting “team” lately at my gym, but they spend most of their time dicking off and worrying more about producing social media content than lifting, so I can’t really stand training with them.

Dave Tate calls them "Instalifters" more concerned with getting likes then the weights used. In a video he joked that one day how many white lights each lift gets online depends on number of likes, LOL!

Nmowery
11-06-18, 3:46 pm
Yea it gets pretty annoying...also takes them like 2 hours to get thru squats and deadlifts because there’s a dozen people fucking off, taking up 2 racks. I’m definitely a “shut the fuck up and train” type.

Bean
11-06-18, 5:36 pm
I hated working out with people but over the last two years, I have been working out with a guy. Don't know his last name, his families name, where he actually works...nothing really about him. But I do know that he will be at the gym at 5 and will hit it hard.

Altered Beast
11-07-18, 12:24 pm
I hated working out with people but over the last two years, I have been working out with a guy. Don't know his last name, his families name, where he actually works...nothing really about him. But I do know that he will be at the gym at 5 and will hit it hard.

Hold onto that training partner! You'll never find one like that again!

Rex
11-07-18, 1:02 pm
I can´t give a universal answer.
It all depends on who you´re training with.

The perfect training partner for me would be a clone of myself or someone who absolutely obeys to my orders and follows my exact routine.

Rex
11-07-18, 1:14 pm

I´ve had someone exactly like that for a year as well.
All I knew was his name "Markus". He was an absolute lunatic and would endure any pain and suffering in the gym. We met every day at 7:00am and beat each other up until 9:00. That year I put on 30lbs. of stage weight.

Altered Beast
11-07-18, 3:19 pm

The perfect training partner for me would be a clone of myself or someone who absolutely obeys to my orders and follows my exact routine.

You Germans have that cyborg mentality, don't ya? =)

All I knew was his name "Markus". He was an absolute lunatic and would endure any pain and suffering in the gym. We met every day at 7:00am and beat each other up until 9:00. That year I put on 30lbs. of stage weight.

Sounds like fun! Damn, 30 Pounds?!?!

BOSS
11-07-18, 5:07 pm

Can't fuck with that... training partners have to push you

BOSS
11-07-18, 5:09 pm
Louie Simmons says good training partners need to be motivating or they need to be irritating! And it's true, if you have a training partner that constantly irritates the shit out of you you WILL push harder lol.

ChrisTuttle
11-07-18, 7:12 pm

I agree! THey have to do what I need to do.

ChrisTuttle
11-07-18, 7:12 pm
Louie Simmons says good training partners need to be motivating or they need to be irritating! And it's true, if you have a training partner that constantly irritates the shit out of you you WILL push harder lol.

AHHAH well that is one way of looking at it.

Bean
11-08-18, 12:08 pm
Hold onto that training partner! You'll never find one like that again!

That's the best part... no holding needed. If he is there, we lift. If not, I lift. It was just cool how it has all fell into place

Bean
11-08-18, 12:10 pm

My guy's name is "Dan"... it is good to have someone there to push or push you on days you feel off. It is also cool to see his progress

Altered Beast
11-08-18, 3:23 pm

Trained with a buddy who was like that! We used to tear shit up and had the entire gym watching us lift on the barbell movements =) Kind of miss it to be honest.

0RiFt0
11-11-18, 12:36 am
Much to my dismay my girlfriend has decided we are training together. Much to her dismay every set is now an assisted rest pause

ChrisTuttle
11-11-18, 5:54 am
much to my dismay my girlfriend has decided we are training together. Much to her dismay every set is now an assisted rest pause

hahahahh

BigChrisF
11-11-18, 12:53 pm
I lift with a friend once a week. If I lift more than that, then I am by myself. Usually in my basement.

MRmichael.hooker
11-15-18, 12:00 pm
Mostly by myself. I'm pretty much the ONLY powerlifter at my gym, so I don't really have anyone to workout with. There's a few guys who take their lifting seriously, so I do have the occasional spot if need be. The only consistent training partner I've ever had was my wife. She works out really hard and does all of the core compound lifts, so our workouts were pretty easy to do together. Only headache was changing the weights every set. But since we had our son last year, that's pretty much gone out the window.

BigBlueBear
11-29-18, 5:52 pm
Per choice or no choice of my own, home and alone. Every spot near me is some pop music globo gym filled with cardio equipment and two benches.

Instead I've got a basement, a rack, and a ambition. There's something nice about handling the tempo and type of workout.

The downside is when I get interrupted, yet I suppose all things have a trade off.

Altered Beast
11-30-18, 1:22 pm
Per choice or no choice of my own, home and alone. Every spot near me is some pop music globo gym filled with cardio equipment and two benches.

Instead I've got a basement, a rack, and a ambition. There's something nice about handling the tempo and type of workout.

The downside is when I get interrupted, yet I suppose all things have a trade off.

I feel the same way! Nothing better than cranking metal with no one around to bitch about it!

I'm about to get everything moving regarding bringing my equipment home from my storage unit. I told my wife that when I train after work, that's the only time I get to myself and to try hard to not let the babies come in the one car garage. I'm sure I won't mind as I love them to death, but still! Like you said, there's always a trade off.

spartan300
12-01-18, 11:32 am

I'd rather train by myself than with a crappy training partner though...People would pay to train with you. LOL!

spartan300
12-01-18, 11:37 am
I feel the same way! Nothing better than cranking metal with no one around to bitch about it!

I'm about to get everything moving regarding bringing my equipment home from my storage unit. I told my wife that when I train after work, that's the only time I get to myself and to try hard to not let the babies come in the one car garage. I'm sure I won't mind as I love them to death, but still! Like you said, there's always a trade off.To see one of your training sessions once you get all your shit together. I think you will bring new meaning to the word intense! Get after it son!

spartan300
12-01-18, 11:46 am

The downside is when I get interrupted, yet I suppose all things have a trade off.You first have to have a solid work ethic, followed by desire then the need.

spartan300
12-01-18, 11:49 am
Much to my dismay my girlfriend has decided we are training together. Much to her dismay every set is now an assisted rest pause;)

GunRock
01-08-19, 10:09 am

I’ve never had a gym membership. My first job out of college in 1995 was at a gym on by the city where I lived and when I left that job in 2001 I bought 270 pound dumbbells in a box and started my first home gym. I’ve trained in the shed, a single car garage and our two car garage. I pick the music (none) dress code and schedule. Best gym in town in my opinion.

GunRock
01-08-19, 10:15 am
I’ve never had a gym membership. My first job out of college in 1995 was at a gym on by the city where I lived and when I left that job in 2001 I bought 270 pound dumbbells in a box and started my first home gym. I’ve trained in the shed, a single car garage and our two car garage. I pick the music (none) dress code and schedule. Best gym in town in my opinion.

That should read “owned by the city” and “two 70 pound dumbbells”. I wasn’t at the welders getting specialty bars made back then ha ha!

npcdusty
01-08-19, 11:17 am
these days 99% of the time I train alone. Its just my mentality the older I get. I want to get in and out without distractions, carry on a conversation. Once im in the gym and on the floor im in a "go away" mood. That's not to say I do have my days here and there where I will sch a work out with Sou or Shane but its few and far between these days. If I don't get a good workout its my fault and no one elses...

Bean
01-08-19, 11:36 am
I have recently used my lifting partners as motivation. I come up with ways to try to kill them and by doing so...I have to do the same thing they are. Brutal workouts but at the end, we all made it through and I am enjoying the progress.

Nmowery
01-08-19, 7:24 pm
I have recently used my lifting partners as motivation. I come up with ways to try to kill them and by doing so...I have to do the same thing they are. Brutal workouts but at the end, we all made it through and I am enjoying the progress.

I’ve kicked around the idea of having a couple training partners that all bring a different workouts to subject each other to every time we lift, but can’t find anyone willing to hang...

Thunder Chicken
01-08-19, 7:44 pm
90% of the time i do but i am also a personal trainer and a few people i "have trained" with i feel were taking advantage of me. on another note i have always felt doing it alone was better since i could control the pace and not stand around and talking the whole time or waiting on them to finish a move.

Altered Beast
01-09-19, 1:19 pm
I’ve kicked around the idea of having a couple training partners that all bring a different workouts to subject each other to every time we lift, but can’t find anyone willing to hang...

/\ This

Bean
01-09-19, 3:38 pm

It started with one guy that has brought on two of his buddies. But at the end of the day...if all three show up or no one shows up, I am still lifting and putting in work.