PDA

View Full Version : Preference: Belt Squat vs Leg Press vs Hack Squats

BOSS
11-07-18, 5:17 pm
My primary lifts are usually squats, but... for hitting the quads what does everyone prefer? Belt Squat or Leg Press or Hack Squats
I just bought the westside ATP belt squat machine, but I still love my basic little hack squat machine for hitting quads. What is everyone's favorite machine and exercise(s) to hit the quads?

As I mentioned I like the hack squat to do hack squats and also sissy squats. My favorite uses for the belt squat are hip-loaded calf raises (donkey) and simply walking (for the hips).

BOSS
11-07-18, 5:19 pm
As an addition to that, I usually do the hack squats for high reps: 15-25 usually. I find a nice effect for both strength and size

0RiFt0
11-07-18, 6:15 pm
I haven't had the opportunity to use a belt squat unfortunately. How do you find it?
If the hack squat platform angle is steep it can be hard on my knees so 75% of my quad work is high bar squats and narrow stance leg press with whatever ROM my body/machine will allow

ChrisTuttle
11-07-18, 7:11 pm
I like squats for quads for that is what I have available. Belt squat though is amazing. I can easily position myself with the belt squat to target those quads more effectively.

BOSS
11-08-18, 4:02 pm
I haven't had the opportunity to use a belt squat unfortunately. How do you find it?
If the hack squat platform angle is steep it can be hard on my knees so 75% of my quad work is high bar squats and narrow stance leg press with whatever ROM my body/machine will allow

curious why the angle has that effect... mine is steeper than 45... pretty steep

0RiFt0
11-08-18, 4:47 pm
curious why the angle has that effect... mine is steeper than 45... pretty steep

When I do use a hack squat it tends to be with intentionally funny foot placement, if I use a typical squat placement I don't get pain. So it's a me problem not a machine problem lol.

BOSS
11-09-18, 1:10 pm
When I do use a hack squat it tends to be with intentionally funny foot placement, if I use a typical squat placement I don't get pain. So it's a me problem not a machine problem lol.

my thing with the hack squats is to always do high reps so the knees get pumped up not painful

MRmichael.hooker
11-10-18, 3:28 pm
Most of the gyms Iíve ever belonged to did not have a hack squat, so Iíve always pummeled myself with leg press. I always have liked the freedom of changing my stance and being able to target different parts of the legs (same can be accomplished woth a hack squat too).