PDA

View Full Version : Low Fat, High Carb weight gain

0RiFt0
11-08-18, 5:29 pm
Does anyone have any experience in low fat, high carb bulking/weight gain.

My interest has been peaked by Broderick Charvez thoughts on the matter, the cliff notes essentially are:
-excess fat is stored as fat very readily where is carbs can been stored as muscle/liver glycogen, a more biologically intensive process is required to store carbs as fat
-the body prefers carbs as a fuel source
-sufficient fat is available in animal proteins to meet our needs for fat soluble nutrients (i'm not sure on the validity of this)

Assuming sex hormone production is irrelevant and you supplement with EFAs how low can/have you pushed your fats?
What are the signs of them being too low?
Anything else I should be aware of?

My motivation for this is lean gains (a dumb phrase but it is the best I have) as well as not distressing my digestive system as I struggle to digest fats and stay more hungry on higher carbs.

I'm currently about 5 days into a 25-40g of fat diet (bw @ 218lbs) at around about maintenance calories with no negative side effects, caloric increases will be from carbs only. Got bloodwork just prior to starting so I am keen to see how those result will have changed in 2 months (Assuming I make it that far lol)

ChrisTuttle
11-09-18, 7:25 am
Does anyone have any experience in low fat, high carb bulking/weight gain.

My interest has been peaked by Broderick Charvez thoughts on the matter, the cliff notes essentially are:
-excess fat is stored as fat very readily where is carbs can been stored as muscle/liver glycogen, a more biologically intensive process is required to store carbs as fat
-the body prefers carbs as a fuel source
-sufficient fat is available in animal proteins to meet our needs for fat soluble nutrients (i'm not sure on the validity of this)

Assuming sex hormone production is irrelevant and you supplement with EFAs how low can/have you pushed your fats?
What are the signs of them being too low?
Anything else I should be aware of?

My motivation for this is lean gains (a dumb phrase but it is the best I have) as well as not distressing my digestive system as I struggle to digest fats and stay more hungry on higher carbs.

I'm currently about 5 days into a 25-40g of fat diet (bw @ 218lbs) at around about maintenance calories with no negative side effects, caloric increases will be from carbs only. Got bloodwork just prior to starting so I am keen to see how those result will have changed in 2 months (Assuming I make it that far lol)

Well for health it is not the best approach. Of course that is depending on the amount of carbs you are intaking along with types of carbs. Excessive carb intake with low fat has been linked to lower HDL, higher LDL, high triglycerides, increased inflammation, higher fasting blood glucose, insulin resistance, and of course GI distress.

50g of added fat minimum per day from high monounsaturated fats sources is what I would go with. Then from there build carbs for weight gain. No corn products, <50g carbs from fruit per day, zero sugar, and low in wheat products to help digestion.

0RiFt0
11-09-18, 2:51 pm
I woke up flat this morning after 6 days of +475g. If nothing else i think im gonna learn a far bit about my body doing this

Well for health it is not the best approach. Of course that is depending on the amount of carbs you are intaking along with types of carbs. Excessive carb intake with low fat has been linked to lower HDL, higher LDL, high triglycerides, increased inflammation, higher fasting blood glucose, insulin resistance, and of course GI distress.

50g of added fat minimum per day from high monounsaturated fats sources is what I would go with. Then from there build carbs for weight gain. No corn products, <50g carbs from fruit per day, zero sugar, and low in wheat products to help digestion.

Thankyou very much for the suggestions, so far 90% of my carbs are rice and vegetable based. These are blood markers I get checked so I will be able to assess the damage as i go.
Im sure i can find space for some olive oil, it is a fat which i handle the best.

ChrisTuttle
11-09-18, 4:17 pm
I woke up flat this morning after 6 days of +475g. If nothing else i think im gonna learn a far bit about my body doing this

Thankyou very much for the suggestions, so far 90% of my carbs are rice and vegetable based. These are blood markers I get checked so I will be able to assess the damage as i go.
Im sure i can find space for some olive oil, it is a fat which i handle the best.

perfect!!!!!!!!!!! Great addition for fats.

Rex
11-21-18, 3:01 pm
Iīve been doing low fats (trace fats only + EFA supplementation) for the past 15 years and havenīt had any issues at all.

Rex
11-21-18, 3:03 pm

Thatīs the advice you should follow.

I might be a genetic outliner as far as diet approach is concerned.

0RiFt0
11-21-18, 3:23 pm
Iīve been doing low fats (trace fats only + EFA supplementation) for the past 15 years and havenīt had any issues at all.

I went up to 60g which was 1 tablespoon of oil and from oats and so far everything is fine. Provided my next blood panel isn't messed up I will try this approach for atleast a few months.

ChrisTuttle
11-21-18, 6:37 pm

Fats from meats and whole eggs though?

Rex
11-27-18, 8:33 pm
I went up to 60g which was 1 tablespoon of oil and from oats and so far everything is fine. Provided my next blood panel isn't messed up I will try this approach for atleast a few months.

Sounds like a plan.

Rex
11-27-18, 8:34 pm
Fats from meats and whole eggs though?

I donīt eat any whole eggs and the red meat I eat is super lean.