PDA

View Full Version : Monolift walk outs

MRmichael.hooker
01-04-19, 11:57 am
Not really a training QUESTION per say, just more of a conversation piece. I see videos all the time on IG of guys squatting in a mono lift but they will still do a walk out once the bar is on their back.. why? Isn’t that a gigantic benefit of the mono lift? Eliminates the walk out and makes the unracking/racking safer?

Bean
01-04-19, 12:24 pm
Not really a training QUESTION per say, just more of a conversation piece. I see videos all the time on IG of guys squatting in a mono lift but they will still do a walk out once the bar is on their back.. why? Isn’t that a gigantic benefit of the mono lift? Eliminates the walk out and makes the unracking/racking safer?

I always thought it was for practice of the walk out for when they needed to do so in competition... but that was just my guess. Curious what the knowledgeable ones have to say about this

naturalguy
01-04-19, 1:11 pm
Some people are not used to setting up and training on a monolift, if you've never used it can feel weird. Not walking out is the main advantage of using one however the other advantage is they usually have safety straps.

naturalguy
01-04-19, 1:12 pm
I always thought it was for practice of the walk out for when they needed to do so in competition... but that was just my guess. Curious what the knowledgeable ones have to say about this

That is likely correct, depending on what federation you lift in, some require a walk out.

Ed Eliason
01-04-19, 9:15 pm
Most of the people I see walking out from a monolift just aren’t used to squatting out of a monolift. It’s a little weird if you’re not used to it. Not walking it out is a huge benefit.

spartan300
01-06-19, 3:52 am
Most of the people I see walking out from a monolift just aren’t used to squatting out of a monolift. It’s a little weird if you’re not used to it. Not walking it out is a huge benefit.I know it may sound ridiculous to you Ed but taking that first step out for me usually will determine if I own that poundage or not. Then again I haven't used a weight that would crush a normal man's spine either. LOL!!

0RiFt0
01-06-19, 3:59 am
Excuse my ignorance but can a monolift be operated by the lifter or does it require a second person

BigChrisF
01-06-19, 6:15 am
Most guys that walk out of a monolift are just practicing their walk-out and set-up as they would when they compete. Some guys believe (unjustly, in my opinion) that using a monolift and skipping the walk-out and set-up is "cheating" the lift. Likely because some guys just gotta feel superior about something.

BigChrisF
01-06-19, 6:19 am
Excuse my ignorance but can a monolift be operated by the lifter or does it require a second person

It "should" have a second person to operate, but plenty of people will set it up so the hooks only move slightly away from them and put weight on the handle to move the hooks as soon as the lifter picks up the weight. At completion of the lift, you just kinda fall forward with the weight and the bar catches in the hooks again. Not really the smartest, but most of what we do isn't, either.

Ed Eliason
01-06-19, 9:47 am
I know it may sound ridiculous to you Ed but taking that first step out for me usually will determine if I own that poundage or not. Then again I haven't used a weight that would crush a normal man's spine either. LOL!!

Absolutely that first step is crucial. In a monolift you’re feet are already in your best position so the set up will be more consistent plus it’ll save energy walking out the heavy ones. I think it’s a personal preference though, some people like walking it out and some prefer not to.

spartan300
01-06-19, 11:47 am
Absolutely that first step is crucial. In a monolift you’re feet are already in your best position so the set up will be more consistent plus it’ll save energy walking out the heavy ones. I think it’s a personal preference though, some people like walking it out and some prefer not to.Eddie what prepares you mentally before moving a PB?

Ed Eliason
01-06-19, 7:25 pm
Eddie what prepares you mentally before moving a PB?

Generally I just walk them out. As far as mental preparations... I don’t know. I usually just run through it in my head and go for it.

naturalguy
01-08-19, 9:38 am
Most guys that walk out of a monolift are just practicing their walk-out and set-up as they would when they compete. Some guys believe (unjustly, in my opinion) that using a monolift and skipping the walk-out and set-up is "cheating" the lift. Likely because some guys just gotta feel superior about something.

I agree with you. You are judged on the squat, not the walk out.

It's akin to getting a lift off on a bench.