PDA

View Full Version : Knee injury

Fab
02-16-19, 10:30 am
Hey all

This last week i made a small twist on my left knee but didn't feel anyting major, no pain, no swelling, just a very minor sharp pain.

Anyway the following days, sometimes when i'm walking it seems that my knee dislocates and i'm limping afterwards. It goes away though only to return again when i'm less expecting it to happen.

I now walk slow and carefully but i can't avoid this to happen. I will go check this with a doctor next week but wanted to know if anyone experienced with knee injuries can shed a light on this.

It doesn't seem i torn my ligaments though.

Thanks

Gooners85
02-17-19, 9:16 am
it's a Doctors job to diagnose, it's a PT's job to prescribe protocol.

If either tries to do the other's job, take it with a grain of salt

Cellardweller
02-17-19, 1:28 pm
Make sure you see an orthopedic or sports medicine doctor. A family doctor will pass the buck and just send you to therapy. The therapist probably will diagnose you because the family doctor only concerns themselves with what they can throw pills at. I couldn’t put weight on my foot and got sent to therapy without the doctor even touching my foot. PT examined me and straight up told me I tore a tendon. Sent me to ortho to demand an MRI and sure enough, a partial tear of my soleus tendon. Every injury I’ve had my family doctor has let me down.

Nmowery
02-17-19, 2:47 pm
If your knee were dislocating, there would be no question about it - that shit hurts beyond hell, and you know what’s happened when your kneecap is sticking out the side of your leg

You may very well have a cartilage/meniscus tear, though...which can make it so that the patella doesn’t properly sit into its “groove” properly.

jack3d14
02-27-19, 4:30 pm
Definitely get that checkout up. Let us know what they say.

Fab
02-28-19, 5:29 pm
Thanks for the replies

A little update here. I don't get this that often since last week, i managed to train my legs normally and without any issues.

I do have the same feeling when i walk but it is not that intense, it feels like a very minor dislocating but nothing major like when i wrote this thread.

I hope it gets better or to 100% and nothing serious develop. Maybe that twsit was a small one altough enough to make me careful.

Actually my main injury nowadays is pain on my left arm. I can't train biceps or my back or even incline dumbell presses or military presses. It's a very sharp pain on the Brachioradialis muscle and when i twsit my arm it seems i have a dislocated bone because it cracks. At least i do think it's from there or i may well have tendinitis.

It's harming my ability to train so tomorrow i'm going to the doctor since it has been about 3 weeks with this injury which starts getting worse.

Nmowery
02-28-19, 11:23 pm
When you say it feels like it’s “dislocating”, is there any pain associated with it, or is it just moving around? Some people(self included) have a bone structure that makes it easier for the patella to move laterally out of its groove at the top of the femur, which can lead to dislocation. Mines popped out twice, and really got fucked up the second time...I frequently feel it sort of “slide” over a little when walking, almost like it’s on the verge of popping back out again. It doesn’t hurt when it does this, just feels really unsettling. Something that can help with this(if it’s what you’re experiencing) is to train your VMO a lot, and make sure it’s not underdeveloped compared to the rest the quadriceps.

Fab
03-01-19, 5:35 pm
Nmowery it doesn't hurt at all. Just that strange feeling that the knee is giving out.

I felt better working my legs again today. I do need to pay more attention to more specific training for the VMO

Rex
03-01-19, 7:12 pm
Thanks for the replies

A little update here. I don't get this that often since last week, i managed to train my legs normally and without any issues.

I do have the same feeling when i walk but it is not that intense, it feels like a very minor dislocating but nothing major like when i wrote this thread.

I hope it gets better or to 100% and nothing serious develop. Maybe that twsit was a small one altough enough to make me careful.

Actually my main injury nowadays is pain on my left arm. I can't train biceps or my back or even incline dumbell presses or military presses. It's a very sharp pain on the Brachioradialis muscle and when i twsit my arm it seems i have a dislocated bone because it cracks. At least i do think it's from there or i may well have tendinitis.

It's harming my ability to train so tomorrow i'm going to the doctor since it has been about 3 weeks with this injury which starts getting worse.

First of all, you haven´t dislocated anything. Neither your arm nor your knee. You can´t even imagine the force it takes dislocate a joint on a conscious person and also you can´t even imagine the pain associated with a real dislocation... The fact that you can move your knee, let alone train, means there is no dislocation. Google images for knee dislocation and you know...

When you have tendinitis or any kind of inflammation water pools around the area. That´s the reason for the cracking and the pain

Fab
03-03-19, 8:20 am
First of all, you haven´t dislocated anything. Neither your arm nor your knee. You can´t even imagine the force it takes dislocate a joint on a conscious person and also you can´t even imagine the pain associated with a real dislocation... The fact that you can move your knee, let alone train, means there is no dislocation. Google images for knee dislocation and you know...

When you have tendinitis or any kind of inflammation water pools around the area. That´s the reason for the cracking and the pain

Maybe i wasn't employing the right word, but thanks for the explanation.

I went to the doctor yesterday to check my arm and she gave me anti-inflammatories and rest for the week. It seems i have inflammation in the area like you say. The medicine seems to be helping, just hope i can be ready to train next monday.

Bean
03-05-19, 3:45 pm
Maybe i wasn't employing the right word, but thanks for the explanation.

I went to the doctor yesterday to check my arm and she gave me anti-inflammatories and rest for the week. It seems i have inflammation in the area like you say. The medicine seems to be helping, just hope i can be ready to train next monday.

We all say listen to your body but sometimes some light stretching or light lifts will actually help it out more than pills will ever do.

Fab
03-18-19, 6:32 pm
Ok,my knee is going fine but i'm taking this week off without leg training and rest for a bit.

The problem now is my arm, i'm haven't been able to recover it completely and it has been two weeks since i last trained my upper body.

It's really frustrating when you were getting in better shape, numbers were going up but now i wont be able to keep the same training i was doing.

I've tried Ice, anti-inflammatories and stretching but to no avail. I'm thinking of going back to the gym but train with lighter weights and higher reps to keep in shape and maybe help with the injury?

Bean
03-19-19, 4:07 pm
Ok,my knee is going fine but i'm taking this week off without leg training and rest for a bit.

The problem now is my arm, i'm haven't been able to recover it completely and it has been two weeks since i last trained my upper body.

It's really frustrating when you were getting in better shape, numbers were going up but now i wont be able to keep the same training i was doing.

I've tried Ice, anti-inflammatories and stretching but to no avail. I'm thinking of going back to the gym but train with lighter weights and higher reps to keep in shape and maybe help with the injury?

That's what I do. Some movements cause more issues or pain when I have a slight injury so I adapt my movement to still hit he body part but in just a slightly different way. Example- My shoulder was making funny sounds and hurting when I was doing dumbbell lateral raises straight out so I went into almost a chicken wing kind of pose and did a variation of the lift like that for the day with no pain. Shoulder was getting hit and I was able to continue lifting until it felt well enough to get back to a normal routine ( if there is such thing as normal) Just listen to your body and lighter weight is the way to go when feeling the body is feeling a certain kind of way.

Fab
04-24-19, 6:24 pm
Just had an appointment with the orthopedist. He told me i had disproportionate quad muscles having the vastus lateralis and vastus intermedius bigger than the vastus medialis which is pushing the knee cap to the outside.

I will do an x-ray and an MRI scan to check if there are other issues anyway but the doc said that this might be the problem since i do not have pain.

With this, i already checked which are the best exercises i should start doing:

- Single leg box squats
- Leg press with feet narrowed
- Leg extensions with feet pointing ouside
- Barbell squats with feet narrow but using a slant board (dunno if my gym has one)
- Bulgarian split squats

Seems plenty already to hit the lagging muscle.

Should i keep doing the exercices i'm doing already on strength leg day and leave those above for hypertrophy day? (Barbell Squats, 45º leg press, Hack Squat, Romanian deadlift and seated inverse leg curl)

Cellardweller
04-24-19, 10:06 pm
Maybe just pick 2 from the menu there and just do one set of each for however many reps. Whatever you do will be more than when you didn’t do any of them. You’ll get to know what feels right to you and you’ll get to know how strong you are with the different implements. Then go from there.

Fab
04-25-19, 7:17 pm
Ok, how is this plan for leg training:

Strength day:

- Barbell Squats
- 45º leg press
- Hack Squat
- Romanian deadlift
- Seated inverse leg curl
- Seated Calves
- Leg press calves

Hypertrophy day:

- Barbell Squats or Hack Squat narrow stance
- Leg press narrow stance
- Leg extensions or Barbell lunge smith machine or Single leg box squats or Bulgarian split squats
- Cable Bent-over Leg Curl
- Cable Lying Leg Curl
- Standing calf raise
- Barbell calf raise

Suggestions are welcome.

Cellardweller
05-12-19, 8:26 am
How’s the knee?

Fab
05-12-19, 4:34 pm
How’s the knee?

It seems to be recovering well but i think it was due to losing muscle mass the past weeks, so the vastus lateralis isn't pushing the patela outside that much.

Anyway i only started the new training last week so can't tell yet that it is totally helping...the next weeks will tell.

Thanks for asking, i will keep this thread updated.

Nmowery
05-13-19, 9:00 pm
Glad to see you got it checked out...I fucked my knee up royally due to similar circumstances. I already have flat feet, which causes the patella to track to the outside a little more, and ended up with the same sort of imbalance. One day during leg extensions, my outer quads flexed so hard they pulled it out of the groove, and that was that. Kinda sucks that I didn’t have any sort of pain or discomfort ahead of time - be thankful your body gave you warning so that you could correct the issues prior to a serious injury!

Fab
05-31-19, 7:27 pm
Another update here:

Everytime i do leg presses or squats with my feet pointing out, it hurts my knees and doesn't feel confortable. When i changed my feet stance in the leg press so the toes were pointing to the front, it was a breeze doing them...no pain and feeling my quads burning better.

It's no good for me doing those exercises with feet pointing out.

Bean
06-03-19, 11:19 am
we have to figure out what works best for us...baby steps and you will get it all dialed in

Altered Beast
06-03-19, 12:51 pm
Another update here:

Everytime i do leg presses or squats with my feet pointing out, it hurts my knees and doesn't feel confortable. When i changed my feet stance in the leg press so the toes were pointing to the front, it was a breeze doing them...no pain and feeling my quads burning better.

It's no good for me doing those exercises with feet pointing out.

It's because those muscles are tight and inflamed. Get a hard pvc pipe roller or something along those lines and work on your legs. Check you tube for instruction, would be under "foam rolling".

Fab
06-04-19, 6:41 pm
we have to figure out what works best for us...baby steps and you will get it all dialed in

Exactly. Today it was leg training and this time, on the leg extension, i didn't put my feet pointing out but i also rolled my hips so that my legs would be completly pointing out...and well, just look at my VMO's swollen!

I also tried bulgrarian split squats and it really works the internal part of the legs. I'm learning the hard way the different exercises and feet stances there is to try out so it is like a small discovery nowadays.

Fab
08-07-19, 6:16 pm
Made a magnetic resonance last week and today got my results: light chondromalacia which is the undersurface of teh patella being soft.

At least it is nothing about cruciate ligaments or meniscus. I feel fine and train well, but due to the small misalignment i have on my leg this may cause issue when lean mass comes in...i had bigger legs when this happened let's see what the doctor recommends and if the work on the VMO will pay off

Bean
08-08-19, 11:31 am
Made a magnetic resonance last week and today got my results: light chondromalacia which is the undersurface of teh patella being soft.

At least it is nothing about cruciate ligaments or meniscus. I feel fine and train well, but due to the small misalignment i have on my leg this may cause issue when lean mass comes in...i had bigger legs when this happened let's see what the doctor recommends and if the work on the VMO will pay off

best of luck with getting back at it.

Nmowery
08-10-19, 10:17 pm
Exactly. Today it was leg training and this time, on the leg extension, i didn't put my feet pointing out but i also rolled my hips so that my legs would be completly pointing out...and well, just look at my VMO's swollen!

I also tried bulgrarian split squats and it really works the internal part of the legs. I'm learning the hard way the different exercises and feet stances there is to try out so it is like a small discovery nowadays.

The BSS are fantastic for working the VMO...that and lunge variations really get it for me!