PDA

View Full Version : Powerlifting frequency

swoleberry
04-03-19, 8:10 pm
Just want to gauge everyone's thoughts on different powerlifting program frequencies.
Pros, Cons, Experiences, etc.

3 per week (i.e. Ben Pollack's Think Strong)
4 per week (i.e. Brandon Lilly's Cube Method)
6 per week (i.e. Christian Thibaudeau's Optimal Strength Training)

Nmowery
04-04-19, 11:02 am
Personally, I feel like both the research and anecdotal evidence show that frequency is the ultimate training variable, over volume and intensity. The more often you can train, the better - period.

Obviously, there’s often limiting factors in how often you’re able to...recovery, work, life outside the gym, etc. - but the more often you can stimulate the muscles and nervous system, and repeat the motion patterns, the better your body will adapt to it. A trainer at my gym came up with a 7 day a week PL program that he uses for himself and some of his clients, and often gets great results - but some people end up totally burned out, which are typically older lifters, and those with more physical jobs.

Cellardweller
04-04-19, 11:25 am
To me, recovery is just as important as training. Off days are important. So I like 3-4 days a week better than 5-6 days. No secret that 5/3/1 is a favorite of mine. I can still hit all 3 lifts 2x a week in 4 days (using different variations and intensities) and have 3 days off to space things out.

Nmowery
04-04-19, 11:45 am
To me, recovery is just as important as training. Off days are important. So I like 3-4 days a week better than 5-6 days. No secret that 5/3/1 is a favorite of mine. I can still hit all 3 lifts 2x a week in 4 days (using different variations and intensities) and have 3 days off to space things out.

I’ve been doing a conjugate program lately that’s also 4 days a week. I’d love to be able to lift 6 days a week, but it’s just not feasible.

BigChrisF
04-06-19, 2:26 am
The most physically and mentally demanding, yet most rewarding program I have ever been on was a Smolov-inspired squat and bench routine. It's difficult to keep up with and not get burned out, but it works. It runs mostly 4x per week.