PDA

View Full Version : Chest development question

Pumpp.Pythons
10-02-19, 12:24 pm
I'm a beginner at lifting wanted to know what excercises to do that targets the middle of the chest?
I do incline dumbbell press.flat bench and incline bench.my outer chest is developed more.

Cellardweller
10-02-19, 3:16 pm
Add some dips in

Buckfever
10-02-19, 3:21 pm
Add Dumbbells

Pumpp.Pythons
10-02-19, 3:36 pm
Add Dumbbells

What kind of dumbell excercises?

Cellardweller
10-02-19, 3:40 pm
I'm a beginner at lifting wanted to know what excercises to do that targets the middle of the chest?
I do incline dumbbell press.flat bench and incline bench.my outer chest is developed more.

I just reread this. At first I thought you meant top, middle and bottom chest, but what you’re looking for is vertically the middle up the center. You want to be able to squeeze those pecs and hold a pencil there by the eraser LOL. Guys do dumbbell flyes or cable cross overs for that. But really the truth is just give it time. You use the whole chest muscle whenever you bench or whatever. The outside is always going to develop first. You can’t “spot build.” Work the basics first. Keep doing barbell and dumbbell bench and add in those dips. Build a base and the center will start catching up. Then worry about flyes and cross overs. Learn your form so you’re hitting the right muscles. Don’t overload the bar and ego lift as you’re form will break down and you’ll use the wrong muscles to move the weight and waste your time. Become a robot with your form. Same every rep. Then add weight.

Buckfever
10-02-19, 5:50 pm
What kind of dumbell excercises?

The regular dumbbell bench seems to put on more size than the barbell bench. I think you use less shoulders through the range of motion than you do on the barbell bench.

Pumpp.Pythons
10-02-19, 6:32 pm
I just reread this. At first I thought you meant top, middle and bottom chest, but what you’re looking for is vertically the middle up the center. You want to be able to squeeze those pecs and hold a pencil there by the eraser LOL. Guys do dumbbell flyes or cable cross overs for that. But really the truth is just give it time. You use the whole chest muscle whenever you bench or whatever. The outside is always going to develop first. You can’t “spot build.” Work the basics first. Keep doing barbell and dumbbell bench and add in those dips. Build a base and the center will start catching up. Then worry about flyes and cross overs. Learn your form so you’re hitting the right muscles. Don’t overload the bar and ego lift as you’re form will break down and you’ll use the wrong muscles to move the weight and waste your time. Become a robot with your form. Same every rep. Then add weight.

Ok thanks for advice

Cellardweller
10-02-19, 7:09 pm
The regular dumbbell bench seems to put on more size than the barbell bench. I think you use less shoulders through the range of motion than you do on the barbell bench.
The advantage of DB over a barbell is you can go lower. You can stretch the pecs more.

On that note, the bottom of the bench is where you will build your chest. Try pauses on the barbell bench. Touch your t-shirt and hold it there. Don’t rest it on your chest, hold it. Count “one cellardweller, two cellardweller” then press. You’ll get a good pump. BUT only if you count cellardwellers. I can’t guarantee anything if you count Mississippi’s LOL

Ok thanks for advice
I hope it helps. I’m sure others will throw their 2 cents in

Nmowery
10-02-19, 8:42 pm
+1 for the DB presses...get a full stretch at the bottom, and press the dumbbells straight up, don’t do that shit where they move inward as you press them up

I’d also try 1 arm cable flys, where you’re bringing your hand all the way across your chest. Nothing gets your pec the same sort of squeeze

I also tend to really feel the inner chest burn when doing close grip bench, but maybe that’s just me?