PDA

View Full Version : All Things Deadlift

Cellardweller
11-27-19, 12:37 pm
So, for me deads are my weakest lift. I just hate them. I’m wanting to build them up at least on par with my squat. My best squats are 500 in sleeves and 540 in knee wraps. My best pull is 485 conventional. Sumo just feels weird to me. So I want to know what’s your favorite accessory lifts and how often do you pull? Do you back down on squats and focus on deads ever?

Cellardweller
11-29-19, 12:50 pm
48 hours, 60 views and no replies. Yep. This place is dead and gone.

BigChrisF
12-03-19, 2:12 am
Unfortunately, I usually did the opposite. My squat needed all the work, so I would frequently neglect deadlift entirely and just deadlift at meets.

The hard part is to assess what your weak points are and try to bring them up. How do you usually fail on deadlift? How do you usually fail on squat?

Altered Beast
12-03-19, 2:02 pm
Good mornings my friend! Fastest way to build your Deadlift. Add them into your regime and program them accordingly.

*I've noticed most like to read and not comment. Been that way for quite a while.

Cellardweller
12-03-19, 4:10 pm
I typically fail at the bottom of both deads and squats. I break the floor and just hit a wall. Same with squats, just out of the hole and sink back down.

Bean
12-04-19, 1:43 pm
My grip is what I focused on because my mind would get lost on the grip which would mess with my pull. Ive found that routine is what helps me. same breaths, same stance, grip, eye placement...its that muscle memory that helps. but with that being said...I don't go heavy anymore. I top off at 405. So as to increase my deads...I used lunges and focusing on my hips and hip drive with each lunge. Just my thoughts

Altered Beast
12-04-19, 2:21 pm
I typically fail at the bottom of both deads and squats. I break the floor and just hit a wall. Same with squats, just out of the hole and sink back down.

That's a posterior chain weakness my friend. Perform Good Mornings in the Romanian fashion to where when you bend over you allow the knees to bend 30-45 degrees. Will absolutely HAMMER your posterior chain.

You can also perform rack pulls or pull off of mats at the area where you fail too. Countless variations and options. Sounds like some Leg Pressing would also help.

Now get on with it!!!!!!

Cellardweller
12-07-19, 12:48 pm
That's a posterior chain weakness my friend. Perform Good Mornings in the Romanian fashion to where when you bend over you allow the knees to bend 30-45 degrees. Will absolutely HAMMER your posterior chain.

You can also perform rack pulls or pull off of mats at the area where you fail too. Countless variations and options. Sounds like some Leg Pressing would also help.

Now get on with it!!!!!!

Thanks Beast.

Altered Beast
12-09-19, 1:36 pm
Thanks Beast.

Most welcome!

BigChrisF
12-09-19, 8:41 pm
I would definitely work in some deficit deads. Stand on 2-3 inch block/box and pull some reps. Nothing crazy, just get some volume in at a starting depth lower than normal.

Buckfever
12-09-19, 9:20 pm

I like this idea. Ass to grass squats, light weight and bust out of the hole. And lots of dead stop deadlifts. I think this Friday would be good.

Altered Beast
12-10-19, 1:51 pm
I would definitely work in some deficit deads. Stand on 2-3 inch block/box and pull some reps. Nothing crazy, just get some volume in at a starting depth lower than normal.

I forgot to mention these! I did some variations but should have includes these as well. This will teach you how to be explosive off of the floor with extra leg drive and the other movements can target the weak points.

Find something that works and stick with it. Don't do too much and never grow stronger on a particular movement.

Cellardweller
12-11-19, 2:47 pm

Seems like every time Dan Green posts vids of him pulling on IG he’s doing deficits. I was giving it thought to just pulling at a deficit every time. Then when you switch back to pulling from the floor it seems like a partial rep. If it works for the Boss...

Nmowery
12-11-19, 5:41 pm
A nice trick I’ve also found for deficits - depending how your gym is equipped and how strong you are - is to load the bar with 25s, rather than standing on a plate or other random object

Cellardweller
12-12-19, 2:03 pm
A nice trick I’ve also found for deficits - depending how your gym is equipped and how strong you are - is to load the bar with 25s, rather than standing on a plate or other random object

Like that too

Nmowery
12-12-19, 5:19 pm
Like that too

Might get some funny looks for loading a bunch of quarters on the bar, but it’s whatever...beats trying to stand on the goofy rubber bumper plates or a 4” wood box

I had also made a post in the powerlifting section a while back in regards to pushing up one’s deadlift...in a nutshell, alternate between deficits, reverse bands, and regular DLs weekly

MRmichael.hooker
12-24-19, 11:06 pm
So already some solid advice in here with the GM & deficit suggestions. Questions I have are more basic; do you feel like form is pretty dialed in and do you move the bar fast? I know sometimes for me when progress is stalling, sometimes all I do is back off the weight a tad, really focus on form like I’m starting all over again, and build back up again. 9x outta 10, my 1rm will go up.

Cellardweller
12-27-19, 10:14 am
So already some solid advice in here with the GM & deficit suggestions. Questions I have are more basic; do you feel like form is pretty dialed in and do you move the bar fast? I know sometimes for me when progress is stalling, sometimes all I do is back off the weight a tad, really focus on form like I’m starting all over again, and build back up again. 9x outta 10, my 1rm will go up.

This is solid advice. I feel more confident in my form than ever before, but still feel I could be better, or maybe I jus need more time pulling.

Bean
12-27-19, 10:53 am
I know its only been a short amount of time...but are you feeling or seeing any changes? I know its a marathon and not a sprint but just curious

Muradin
12-28-19, 3:46 am
I feel that low handle trap bar deadlifts can contribute a lot to increasing your deadlift. It doesn't trash you half as mach as a regular deadlift and really builds up leg strength, the upper back and the glutes.
While carry over is not as high as variants with a straight bar for me this is far outweighed by the fact that it can be trained with far greater volumes and frequency.

Trap bar deadlifts add meat to the frame, straight bar deadlifts are good for demonstrating strength.

I like to alternate between weeks of heavy work and technique work for straight bar deadlifts. With a trashed back you ain't pulling personal records so recovery is equally important.

Eddie Hall and most other strongmen are just deadlifting super heavy every other week. Thought this doesn't apply to me as I'm literally half their size but apparently it does.

Cellardweller
12-29-19, 2:34 pm
I know its only been a short amount of time...but are you feeling or seeing any changes? I know its a marathon and not a sprint but just curious

My schedule for the holidays has killed my regularity. Getting back on track now and pushing foreword

I feel that low handle trap bar deadlifts can contribute a lot to increasing your deadlift. It doesn't trash you half as mach as a regular deadlift and really builds up leg strength, the upper back and the glutes.
While carry over is not as high as variants with a straight bar for me this is far outweighed by the fact that it can be trained with far greater volumes and frequency.

Trap bar deadlifts add meat to the frame, straight bar deadlifts are good for demonstrating strength.

I like to alternate between weeks of heavy work and technique work for straight bar deadlifts. With a trashed back you ain't pulling personal records so recovery is equally important.

Eddie Hall and most other strongmen are just deadlifting super heavy every other week. Thought this doesn't apply to me as I'm literally half their size but apparently it does.

Totally plan on doing some work with a trap bar too. I’m following a % based program right now but like the alternating intensities. Might try that later. Might be what clicks

Altered Beast
01-06-20, 10:37 am
Good Mornings with different bars rotated in always helped me. SS Yoke Bar, Rackable Cambered Bar, Stiff Bar, etc. Basically, anything besides a comp style bar.