PDA

View Full Version : Cramps & Cramping

waugie14
03-31-07, 2:32 pm
The last couple of times I've done abs, my lower stomach felt like it just fold in half. Maybe the intestine, i dunno. Never got cramps like this in my life. Any reasons?

Toni69
03-31-07, 2:49 pm
If you mean you are getting muscular cramps in the abdominal muscles while doing exercises like crunches and situps, the answer as to why this happens is not exactly clear 100% since the cause of skeletal muscle cramping is not definitively known. You can experiment with making efforts to stay hydrated, for example, by supplementing your diet with bananas (for potassium) and refueling with ergogenic drinks to replace electrolytes. These techniques don't always prevent cramping, but they are worth trying. When the cramps do occur, you should lay flat on your back, or stand up straight, and reach your arms over your head until the cramp resolves. Reaching overhead stretches the abdominal muscles and releases the cramp. If cramping continues, then it should be reported to your doctor.

Keep in mind, if you drink an excessive amount of sweetened beverages prior to training, this can slow down the flow of fluid through the stomach, and cause discomfort. Ergogenic beverages that have 7% glucose tend to be tolerated well unless athletes consume excessive amounts.

drizzt
03-31-07, 3:16 pm
Yeah, i'd say take some of these suggestions and if you can't get rid of them, you might want to go to the doctor especially since you're talking about the intestines and stuff. crazy stuff, but hydrating yourself properly can help. it's worth a shot, stay strong bro.

waugie14
03-31-07, 4:25 pm
yeh pretty much everything toni said I do, maybe more water. O, could this be a result of the shock therapy and not enough water during my workout?

Bam Bam
03-31-07, 7:37 pm
Pycnogenol has been shown to prevent cramps but it can get pretty expensive.

dIdDy
04-02-07, 5:21 am
The last couple of times I've done abs, my lower stomach felt like it just fold in half. Maybe the intestine, i dunno. Never got cramps like this in my life. Any reasons?

i had the same problem bro. here's how I fixed it. i stretched for about 30 seconds after every set of abs. you know, holding your hands above your head....and poking out your stomach

Hollow
04-02-07, 7:44 am
I agree with Toni69, also watch your breathing. Sometimes when you hold your breath while doing stomach work it seems to promote the cramping.

BigAnt
04-02-07, 4:35 pm

Are you used to training abs a lot, was your core body warmed up?

People who "shock" their muscles or try a "new" movement and really kill it sometimes cramp(S)...I had always done the same old same old ab routine-exercises, but a couple of guys in the gym where trying this plated loaded rev. crunch machine, same movement pattern as a hanging leg raise-- knees move upward towards the chest, except you are lying supine (on your back) and using a pad on your knees that attatches to a selectorized weight stack. I did 3 sets of 20-25 reps, felt good no really soreness, on the drive home while drinking my post workout shake, I had a killer ab cramp, tough cramp...It do go away in a few minutes, I think it was from a new movement...

sin-city-customs
02-23-08, 9:40 am
Sometimes after I workout, later in the evening I will get bad cramping in my biceps if I use my arm to lay my head on or if I bend my arm to support myself sitting on the couch. Only happens after arm training but doesn't always happen. Training is the same. Only my bi's, no other body part. Any ideas?

Dave

Cellerator65
02-23-08, 9:47 am
eat some bananas

houseofpain
02-23-08, 10:08 am
You drinking enough water bro? That's first. Make sure your consuming at least a gallon of water a day. Also, try drinking a gatorade after a workout. It's got electrolytes. And when you're deficient in electrolytes, cramping tends to occur. Hope this helps.

LHS Monster
02-23-08, 10:10 am
could be not enough potassium or a little dehydrated because if it doesnt happen every time you train i doubt that its a problem with your training or biceps themselves also sometimes mine cramp up afteer i hit them hard and heavy and go home and try to hold something in one place such as a bowl of cereal while im eating

Fury317
02-23-08, 10:15 am
I take in two gallons of H2O every day and get plenty of potassium, yet certain "pull" muscles like hamstrings and biceps cramp very easily. Stretching helps a lot. You can ice and heat too if it gets bad enough.

Cstlfx
02-23-08, 11:05 am
I agree with previous statements. Also, when you lay your head on your arm, you cut of a bit of circulation to the muscle, which, after working out, could also lead to cramping.

Feel The Power
02-23-08, 11:35 am
bananas x2

I agree with previous statements. Also, when you lay your head on your arm, you cut of a bit of circulation to the muscle, which, after working out, could also lead to cramping.

pmug0000
02-23-08, 12:50 pm
Along with taking in plenty of water and potassium, I think it would help if you stretched the muscle out after lifting. After an intense training session my muscles will cramp up like a motherfucker later on if I don't stretch 'em out after lifting.

Carpe Diem P.T
02-23-08, 4:01 pm
magnesium cures cramps. according to the packaging anyway ;)

sin-city-customs
02-24-08, 1:48 pm
Fury317- You hit it right on the head, because sometimes my hamstrings will cramp also for no apperent reason. Like you said, only on pull exercises.

Thanks,
Dave

sin-city-customs
05-05-09, 12:20 am
When I train my arms HARD they cramp later in the evening when using/flexing, like using them to push off the bed or lying on them. ONLY my arms, no other muscles. Any suggestions besides eating bananas or am I just stuck with this?

Thanks,
Dave

AFTazz06
05-05-09, 12:27 am
I've heard that suckiing on ice after workouts helps bring down the inflamation of muscles. Kind of like putting ice on a bruise on the outside of your body, just doing it from the inside.

MrMonday
05-05-09, 11:09 am
water, carbohydrates, and electrolytes.

i.e. Eat a manly amount of steak and pasta for dinner, and don't forget to stretch out your arms before and after you train them.

SizeMatters
05-06-09, 12:03 pm
water water waterrrrrrrr its lifes element, how much u drinking daily?

gymratluke
05-06-09, 1:58 pm
Get these pills called endurolytes...they work within minutes

Cstlfx
05-06-09, 2:17 pm
Get your electrolytes and water in. Potassium, Sodium, Magnesium, etc, etc. That should help prevent the cramping. Try to be taking in a gallon of water a day.

Big C
05-06-09, 9:32 pm
Bro this happens to me too and it sucks!!! I feel your pain and I drink more than enough water. I would say just kill some bananas....even though I know you're looking for other suggestions this usually works for me.

TheCEL
05-06-09, 10:09 pm
Its definitively your diet. Your training hard but your muscles are beating you up because your not giving them what they need.
Definitely chow down on some required carbs thats needed throughout the day(slow digesting), potassium it up with gatoraid(electrolytes source too), and drink some well amount of water.

Yep yep.. diet diet

Cstlfx
05-07-09, 12:25 am
I was looking through stuff, Sportpharma's Carb MAX has a bunch of electrolytes and 4 different types of carbs. Give that a try before your workouts.

bigmike08
11-04-09, 2:16 am
Hey Bros,

I'm currently having some major cramping issues. A little backround on my cramps....when I was a junior in highschool my team went to a football camp in the summer. We had 3 a days pretty much (half rack) more or less trying to see what we have and to help us improve. I played outside linebacker and was actually impressing this division 2 school. Later that night we went out to get some greasy food, and when going to get into the vehical I suddenly cramped up. I ended up experiencing a full body (not exagerating) cramp. Everything in my body was cramping, had to go to the ER and get fluids directly since Water and Gatorade weren't doing the trick.

After that experience I went to countless doctors being tested to find out what is up with my body and how I cramp to extremes....they found nothing.

I currently am taking Pack, Pump, and Cuts. I consume well over 200 oz of water a day. Eat bananas like its my job (potassium). Yet today the 3rd day on the lil stack im experiencing some little cramps like in the forearm, hands, and even my feet.

So I guess my question is...How the fuck do I fix this shit? Does anyone have a secret that I dont know? I've done everything that I have heard, and I swear nothing works. I will cramp up no matter what when consuming creatine and especially with Cuts...Please help me out Animals!

Sorry for the backround story but I had to state that i've been clinically tested for this shit.

-Mike

prowrestler
11-04-09, 2:29 am
man that sucks. sorry i donno what to tell you.

my honest advise is find a sports medicine doctor. a good 1.

SolidTongan
11-04-09, 3:03 am

I agree. It may be some kind of medical condition 'cause from the looks of everything, you look like you stay hydrated.

How 'bout stretching? Warm up a li'l then do a really good stretch before and after you workouts. That's pretty much the only other thing that I see that wasn't stated. Good lucc, bro

msktyshha
11-04-09, 7:45 am
a couple of people I know in the gym experienced cramping while they were on creatine, one of the trainers blamed creatine for the cramping and he recommended that u must take some 40-60 grams of simple carbs and a whole lot of water with every dose of creatine. Other bros on the forum may reply and tell me and u if the trainer was right or wrong. I haven't done any research on it, my only source was the trainer.

N.Rees
11-04-09, 8:31 am
I guess you have tried Magnesium already?

snoddy2hottie
11-04-09, 10:13 am
I have the same problem with playing football in HS. any help from anyone?

Beach91
11-04-09, 10:17 am
Drink tonnes and tonnes and tonnes of water, and keep hitting the bannanas for the potassium, if you dont already look into taking a magnesium supplement as well, and u may want to remove cuts from your supp regimen as it has a diuretic.

As well, consult with a physician andtell him your daily diet and all your activity and the supps u take.

GJN5002
11-04-09, 10:33 am
if it isnt an electrolyte inbalance, you may have some undiagnosed medical conditions. Its not common for people to cramp all the time who train and eat right, you may have an underlying issue. in the mean time try buying an electrolyte sollution and add it to your water.

msktyshha
11-04-09, 11:00 am
intra-aid is an electrolyte solution right??

bigmike08
11-04-09, 11:04 am
I guess you have tried Magnesium already?

if it isnt an electrolyte inbalance, you may have some undiagnosed medical conditions. Its not common for people to cramp all the time who train and eat right, you may have an underlying issue. in the mean time try buying an electrolyte sollution and add it to your water.

Drink tonnes and tonnes and tonnes of water, and keep hitting the bannanas for the potassium, if you dont already look into taking a magnesium supplement as well, and u may want to remove cuts from your supp regimen as it has a diuretic.

As well, consult with a physician andtell him your daily diet and all your activity and the supps u take.

Hey guys thanks for the replies. I have yet to get a Magnesium sup, for the simple fact that I didn't hear that it would help solve any cramps. I'll have to look into that for sure. And cutting out Cuts in my diet is a posibility but still (in my opinion) is running away from the problem, meaning I will still cramp but not as prone to after all the lifting sessions. Pro-I will see what I can do to find a good sports med doctor, but like I stated before, i've been tested on everything it seems.

Thanks again!

-Mike

Frankie86
11-04-09, 2:17 pm
When you workout, dont drink alot of water..infact there are some workouts where i barely drink a bottle of water..save it for after..a good example..marathon runners drink basically no water during their races cause it causes cramps not just in the stomach but whatever muscle you may be workin on that day..some of you may disagree but try it for a week or so..take water to the gym but just to wet your mouth or tiny sips every couple of sets..leme know how it turns out..goodluck

Dedicated
11-04-09, 8:04 pm
I really don't know if there's anything more painful than full body cramps. Back in my day, I played a game with strep once. About midway through the 4th my throat had all but swollen shut, and I passed out. I cramped ALL NIGHT LONG. Most miserable night of my life bar-none.

Go get yourself checked out. Guys on here don't know crap compared to an MD.