PDA

View Full Version : The Dreaded Plateau

13utterz
04-03-07, 5:55 am
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it.
Impossible is not a fact.
It's an opinion.
Impossible is not a declaration.
It's a dare.
Impossible is potential.
Impossible is temporary."

Impossible is nothing!

-Muhammad Ali

Rostov
04-03-07, 6:49 am
Nice

JMC
04-03-07, 10:17 am
I'm a Frazier fan personally....I don't think he had much to say ;-)

13utterz
04-03-07, 4:42 pm
heh, yea he was a little too cocky for his own good....but i like the quote nonetheless ;)

Soldier
04-06-07, 2:42 pm
Good stuff

feelthepain12
04-06-07, 2:47 pm
Great quote from a great athlete. Nice.

Octopod
06-27-08, 6:35 am
Just like the title reads, hit a plateau, and a lot of my buddies have been saying that 5x5 is the way to got to bust out of a rut.
Any of you guys doin' 5x5?
What would be the way to go, the best 5x5 training routine (preferably a 4 day one)?

zanderfever
06-27-08, 7:45 am
If your hitting a plateau and you like whatever routine your doing, what you can do is to just switch every exercise that your doing with something you havent done before. You can also do a bunch of techniques like drop sets, rest pause, or forced reps to help you get out. Also, if you havent taken time off in a long time, then i'd suggest that you take a week off from training and then come back and hit the weights hard.

simpleguy
06-27-08, 8:57 am
Just like the title reads, hit a plateau, and a lot of my buddies have been saying that 5x5 is the way to got to bust out of a rut.
Any of you guys doin' 5x5?
What would be the way to go, the best 5x5 training routine (preferably a 4 day one)?

honestly I've never tried 5x5, but almost everyone that tried it says it's a solid routine

shizz702
06-27-08, 9:27 am
Everything you need to know about the 5x5: http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/table_of_contents_thread.htm#PART%20I:%20The%20Pro gram

Matt Dickerson
06-27-08, 2:06 pm
Sometimes it can be factors outside the gym that cause a plateau as well. Nutrition and lack of rest. Sometimes a person needs to put on 10 pounds to get their strength moving upwards again. Up your calories by 500 more than you normally get and see what that does for you. Try getting an extra hour of sleep as well.

shizz702
06-27-08, 2:20 pm
Good advice Matt, I know when my food and rest isn't on point my workouts suffer, so got to factor all those things in before making drastic changes.

Akkan
06-27-08, 2:27 pm
If your hitting a plateau and you like whatever routine your doing, what you can do is to just switch every exercise that your doing with something you havent done before. You can also do a bunch of techniques like drop sets, rest pause, or forced reps to help you get out. Also, if you havent taken time off in a long time, then i'd suggest that you take a week off from training and then come back and hit the weights hard.

Good advice. I never do the same exercises two weeks in a row. Maybe try changing your current split around on top of this.

DreamZero
06-27-08, 3:30 pm
I've seen a video of Hugo Girard(Quebec strongman, he was world champion in 2003 if i remember right..) talkin about plateau blasting.. he said consistency was the key.. keep pushing through day in day out and someday you'll destroy it.. combine consistency with the great advices on this thread.. you'll get over it

camp
08-16-08, 9:33 pm
have chest day tmmra and really want something thatll kill it and give me great pumps
any suggestions?

Pizzalamp
08-16-08, 9:36 pm
have chest day tmmra and really want something thatll kill it and give me great pumps
any suggestions?

incline dumbell press-3 x 10
hammer strength flat press-4 x 6
weighted dips superset w/ cable crossover-4 x 20 into 4 x 30
pushups-1 x 100

rocky36
08-16-08, 9:59 pm
if you have hit a plateau then you could try some of these..

benching with rubber bands or chains
3 sets of 3 reps with heavy ass weigt
5 sets of 5
maybe you could use dumbells for pressing if your only using the barbell
weighted dips
incline or decline flys

i have used all of these methods in the past when i hit a plateau on chest .. all worked for me give one or several a shot

pmug0000
08-16-08, 10:02 pm
Dropsets and supersets always work. Or pre-exhaust with flies or the pec-dec then do your flat or incline benching.

And check out this thread:

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=1412

mcbeast
08-16-08, 10:48 pm
Work with lower weights.Pre exhaust.Drop the bench for a week focus heavy cgb.Supersets,Giant sets

jeff00z28
08-16-08, 10:58 pm
pushups-1 x 100

if u can add weight to bodyweight on that superset then thats impressive

Mizzarler
08-17-08, 5:59 am
if its been 8-10 weeks take a week off

bovat
08-18-08, 1:18 am
def circuit training, do it, do it.

bovat
08-18-08, 1:20 am
by circuit i mean giant sets.

=/

Mutant
08-18-08, 2:09 am
pushups-1 x 100

Damn! You're not messin around are ya?

Work with lower weights.Pre exhaust.Drop the bench for a week focus heavy cgb.Supersets,Giant sets

Both of these methods are awesome. The main thing is to change it up. Try isokinetic work too. It's unconventional but it might help ya out.

NickSP
08-18-08, 12:44 pm
More food and variety. Try more overall sets than you normally do, lower volume, higher reps, lower reps, use a routine with negatives, drop sets and/or supersets, change the frequency of hitting it...

killakali408650
06-04-09, 11:10 pm
hey guys just joined animal forvm and love all the resources it has provided me with, but got a question for you guys

here is my 7 day workout routine;
Day1--biceps and upperback
day2--abs and cardio
day3--triceps and pecs
day4--cardio and shoulders
day5--abs and cardio
day6--biceps and upperback
day7--abs and cardio
(routine starts over again)

I am working out different muscle groups everyday therefore I am giving adequate rest to the already tired ones. Most recently I haven't been able to put on any mass at all, I am stuck at a solid 172 pounds and the scale won't budge. I eat to the point where I have to literally force feed myself food. Protein intake is along the lines of body weight as well.

Wish there was something I could do, to overcome this, I have been working out on the pretense that there are no limits to whats possible if i work hard. Please give me any advice you can to help me out, thank you.

deadlifts
06-04-09, 11:11 pm
Train Legs, and you'll grow

CuttDeez
06-04-09, 11:25 pm
Train Legs, and you'll grow

I'm with deadlifts on this one you need to work out your legs. I do have two other points though
1. How many reps are you doing. If you want mass one of the easiest ways is through a hypertrophy lifting phase. that would be 8-10 reps on an exercise. More would be endurance phases. Less would be strength training.
2. How often have you been doing this split slash these exercises. If you have been doing these same lifts for an extended period of time your body will get used to it and not respond like it did before. You should try changing things up every once in a while to keep the body guessing.

3. please start squatting

Cstlfx
06-04-09, 11:31 pm
Aside from squatting, if you want to put on mass, cut back on the cardio.

Dont burn precious calories when you're trying to bulk up.

But above all, train the legs.

BeastCook
06-04-09, 11:45 pm
why are you doing that split? lol.....well anyways....yea train your split and do a more reasonable split like this

chest,delts,tri
rest,abs
legs,calves
rest
back,biceps,abs
rest
rest

dont put delts after chest and triceps and dont be training a large muscle twice a week unless your on the juice, welch's juice!! hah naw but you know what i mean

do squats,presses,deadlifts,dips,chins and youl grow!

Survivor831
06-04-09, 11:49 pm
Squats, Squats and more squats.

BeastCook
06-05-09, 12:21 am
sad......everytime i go to the gym i see this guy training arms every time i see him, all he uses is cables for his triceps and dumbbells for curls expecting to get big arms.....hel learn eventually, though...kinda funny seeing his friend go in there with him doing the same thing only with a bounce in his step

killakali408650
06-05-09, 11:23 am
thanx guys, i have been told to train legs, i will incorporate that into my split, mainly i dont train legs because I have to go up 7 flights of stairs up and down atleast 5 days a week, for 8 hours. as you can probably tell that is very painful especially when your legs are shot.

I only do cardio about 3 times a week if you sum it up, and I only run 3 miles. Not more than 27 mins of cardio there. For lifting I keep the reps down to 7-10, otherwise I don't go any higher than 10.

Checked my weight yesterday, i gained quite a bit about 2 pounds most of its probably water weight, but I can sorta "feel" the extra muscle on me. I guess I am just a bit impatient, but thank you guys for your response.
This forum rox XD, time to make music with iron :D

Wasteland
06-05-09, 11:32 am
Diet. Diet. Diet.

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=7797

live2lift
06-05-09, 11:56 am
Train legs and cut back on the cardio like others have said. As for going up the stairs I would recommend to do legs on your "friday" so to speak. That way you will be off for at least 1 day before having to climb the stairs again. You will get used to it.

Peace

Universal Rep
06-05-09, 12:32 pm
hey guys just joined animal forvm and love all the resources it has provided me with, but got a question for you guys

here is my 7 day workout routine;
Day1--biceps and upperback
day2--abs and cardio
day3--triceps and pecs
day4--cardio and shoulders
day5--abs and cardio
day6--biceps and upperback
day7--abs and cardio
(routine starts over again)

I am working out different muscle groups everyday therefore I am giving adequate rest to the already tired ones. Most recently I haven't been able to put on any mass at all, I am stuck at a solid 172 pounds and the scale won't budge. I eat to the point where I have to literally force feed myself food. Protein intake is along the lines of body weight as well.

Wish there was something I could do, to overcome this, I have been working out on the pretense that there are no limits to whats possible if i work hard. Please give me any advice you can to help me out, thank you.

You're looking to add "mass" and to get over 172 pounds, that about right brother? Yet you are doin' cardio??? As others have said, the main issue is not your training split. It's your food intake. You're not eating enough and/or you are expending too much with the added cardio...

Cstlfx
06-05-09, 12:35 pm
By the sound of your job, it also sounds like you need to eat a lot more as well.

The big thing about doing squats is that they aid in the release of a great amount of hormones. Which will definitely help get you big in all other areas.

Universal Rep
06-05-09, 12:54 pm
By the sound of your job, it also sounds like you need to eat a lot more as well.

The big thing about doing squats is that they aid in the release of a great amount of hormones. Which will definitely help get you big in all other areas.

Yup... Basic compound movements are gonna help--but it all comes down to energy in/energy out if weight/mass is the name of the game...

killakali408650
06-05-09, 5:16 pm
u guys rock XD

i started eating ALOT more recently, mostly i force feed myself more food every 3-4 hours mostly carbs and protein 2:1 ratio. feel alot different especially with energy levels, was doing shoulder shrugs with barbell today, usually i top out at 245 pounds, but today i had the "extra" push so even upped it to 255 pounds and was able to pull off a good 6 sets of 8 reps. Could have went on more but my fingers wanted to retire before i could go heavier.

Start my leg training tomorrow, but should I go heavy the first day or should I ease into it then raise the weights? Deadlifts are awesome too, feels really good after doing them, but for the life of me i cannot get past 235 pounds, my form suffers and 225 feels too easy. Do those lower back belts really help?

Nix0r
06-05-09, 5:28 pm
Make sure that your form is rock solid before going heavy, or you will seriously put yourself at risk for a massive injury.

shizz702
06-05-09, 7:34 pm
Training 7 days a week like that is a recipe for disaster bro, at most you need 4 days to get the job done.

Drop the cardio, focus more on the big compound lifts, especially squats, presses, and pulls, and eat more.

How long have you been lifting?

EBO13
06-05-09, 9:19 pm
go heavy... on everything... 4 to 8 reps besides the warmup

mon-chest, tris, abs
tues- legs(squats and more squats)
wednesday- off or light cardio if you must
thursday- back, bis, abs
friday-delts, traps, abs
sat-off
sun- off

my workouts constently change but that is my routine... i mainly go heavy on my major muscles(flat bench, incline, military press, pulldowns, rows, squats, leg press) i only do 1 or 2 workouts for my bis and tris because i go so heavy on the bigger movements... its gotten me a shit load stronger and bigger... try 5x5... 4x6... go heavy and eat and you will grow and put on that weight you wanna put on

killakali408650
06-06-09, 11:46 am
Training 7 days a week like that is a recipe for disaster bro, at most you need 4 days to get the job done.

Drop the cardio, focus more on the big compound lifts, especially squats, presses, and pulls, and eat more.

How long have you been lifting?

If you count when I FIRST started its been about 4-5 years but only recently i started to take it more seriously and been pushing myself harder.

prowrestler
06-06-09, 2:55 pm
why are you doing that split? lol.....well anyways....yea train your split and do a more reasonable split like this

chest,delts,tri
rest,abs
legs,calves
rest
back,biceps,abs
rest
rest

dont put delts after chest and triceps and dont be training a large muscle twice a week unless your on the juice, welch's juice!! hah naw but you know what i mean

do squats,presses,deadlifts,dips,chins and youl grow!

i like this one, good split AND good tad bits of information to follow

deadlifts
06-07-09, 10:15 pm
Could have went on more but my fingers wanted to retire before i could go heavier.

Deadlifts are awesome too, feels really good after doing them, but for the life of me i cannot get past 235 pounds, my form suffers and 225 feels too easy. Do those lower back belts really help?

Get some wrist straps for those final heavy sets of shrugs

You dont really need a belt unlesss you are going real heavy. Your better off perfecting your form rather than relying on the belt.

fawaz
06-15-10, 11:56 am
if now i am 16 staying consistent with very hardcore training and proper bodybuilding lifestyle when will i expect to plateau and is it possible with diffrent training techniques to break out of the dreaded plateau.
your information will be aprecieated.

fawaz
06-15-10, 3:00 pm
true said