PDA

View Full Version : Shrugs for Building Traps

maddawg
04-05-07, 5:58 pm
does anybody do heavy shrugs or is it better to stick to lighter weight and higher reps. i do both front shrugs and reverse some days i go heavy as hell and some days i go lighter more reps. i dont keep track of number of sets i jsut rep till i cant rep no more.... anybody got good ideas for massive trap size...
this is what im at right now it aint much but its takin me alot to get there

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/sledneckz/biggin.jpg

JUGGERNAUT
04-05-07, 6:00 pm
heavy just seems to work better all the time.

maddawg
04-05-07, 6:04 pm
i was just askin cuz a few days ago i heard a fella at the gym talkin about he has never seen anyone shurg a grand so today i went in there and showed him 1005 for 5 reps. i know shruggin isnt that big of a deal but for that moment it was for me. now my shit is sore like it used to be. i normally dont go this heavy. i usually stay around 6 or 7 bills for reps...

pdiesel
04-05-07, 6:05 pm
i used to do db shrugs only..then i bought pair of straps and started to do work with the smith machine..lemme tell you--my traps used to be stubborn as hell..now they are growing like weeds..for me hard and heavy is working extremely well

JMC
04-05-07, 6:09 pm
i was just askin cuz a few days ago i heard a fella at the gym talkin about he has never seen anyone shurg a grand so today i went in there and showed him 1005 for 5 reps. i know shruggin isnt that big of a deal but for that moment it was for me. now my shit is sore like it used to be. i normally dont go this heavy. i usually stay around 6 or 7 bills for reps...

Shruggin a G....that's no joke man...good shit!!!

maddawg
04-05-07, 6:12 pm
Shruggin a G....that's no joke man...good shit!!!

thankz for the props JMC i was kinda nervous cuz i had never tried it before, but i knew in my head i could hit it.

JMC
04-05-07, 6:15 pm
thankz for the props JMC i was kinda nervous cuz i had never tried it before, but i knew in my head i could hit it.

Just wondering, what was this on....bbell...smith???

maddawg
04-05-07, 6:17 pm
regular barbell when i do shrugs in front i dont really like to do them on the smith. but reverse i do on the smith cuz i can take a little step away so i can raise the bar above my ass.

gflash77
04-05-07, 7:34 pm
lemme start by saying kudos to you, maddawg, for shrugging 1005 for REPS...I would loved to have seen that in action.

I have experienced better results from going with medium-heavy weight and just focusing on the shrug itself. A slow ascension, hold, and slow descension has worked very well for me.

born0withno0soul
04-05-07, 7:38 pm
i say go as fucking heavy as you can for ten reps minimum. pound those traps like anything else.

Ruis67
04-05-07, 8:01 pm
More is always better when it comes to shrugs. Just don't waist it by having crappy fuckin form. Seen more guys waist great lifts with lousy form.

1005 lbs Now that is fuckin awesome.

pfelder
04-05-07, 8:39 pm
damn that is a shit ton of weight. i kill to be able to get anywhere close to that at all. keep it up and ya i say go hard and heavy until your traps explode.

king1
04-05-07, 10:04 pm
First off if you shrug 1000 pounds your traps have no other option but to grow. Personally i think you should warm up light and bring your shoulders as high as possible, and end with heavy sets with them barely moving at all.

spartan300
04-05-07, 10:37 pm
db's provide greater range of motion and a larger variety of positions. Remember to get a good contraction. Again no jerking or bouncing feet should remain flat on the floor weight is secondary.

IronLeague
04-05-07, 11:28 pm
I see alot of guys in the gym playing the "weight game"... It's all about how much YOUR body can handle with good form. Nothing wrong with getting a bit sloppy towards the end of the set, last 1-2 reps.

You should be able to get your traps up by your ears and hold the rep for a sec, then lower the weight down...controlling it. If you are leaning forward before you shrug it up...it's too heavy. If you're using your legs to get the weight up..it's too heavy. If you can't hold the rep for a sec at the top...it's too heavy. If you're doing half reps...that shit is too fuckin heavy. Use weight you can control, so you get the most out of the exercise..

Remember, it's not about how many plates you have on the bar...it's all about big, thick, meaty, traps....

1005 for reps, that's nasty bro.... If you're controlling it that's what it's all about baby. Keep it up!

Respect,
IronLeague

doomsdaylover
04-05-07, 11:30 pm
does anybody do heavy shrugs or is it better to stick to lighter weight and higher reps. i do both front shrugs and reverse some days i go heavy as hell and some days i go lighter more reps. i dont keep track of number of sets i jsut rep till i cant rep no more.... anybody got good ideas for massive trap size...

Heavy, my friend, is the only way I will train those shoulders. Why waste time with 15-20 reps? You are trying to get those traps as monster as possible.

IntensityJT
04-05-07, 11:36 pm
stick between 3 sets of 10-15 reps...try doing 2 exercises like barbell shrugs then move onto dumbell shrugs

pdiesel
04-06-07, 1:37 pm
sometimes after do heavy shrugs (within a half hour of training) my traps have these red lines on them..they look like popped blood vessels..do any of you experience this?

live2lift
04-06-07, 1:43 pm
Holy Shit...I just saw this thread this morning. 1005 for 5. Damn that is alot of fucking weight! Keep it up. Never experienced the popped blood vessel thing that you mentioned. Personally because I follow DC training I never do shrugs anymore and that is when my traps started growing. But again man, I have respect for anybody that can lift over a grand on any lift. Good shit bro...keep it up. Peace.

albertaboy
04-06-07, 2:02 pm
Fuck me that is a lot of weight nice work. It's all about heavy weight and form as long as the form is good and you can lift that much weight you the man.

maddawg
04-06-07, 5:08 pm
sometimes after do heavy shrugs (within a half hour of training) my traps have these red lines on them..they look like popped blood vessels..do any of you experience this?

the only time i get lines like that is on the hack squat machines standing calf raises and anything else where the pad rests on my shoulders. i never had it from shrugs

Painaholic
04-06-07, 5:46 pm
I start out heavy and lighten it up as my reps increse basically till there numb

Kiwi129
04-06-07, 9:37 pm
I used to have non-existent traps. Literally...traps were virtually flat, giving me a horrible looking delt/traps area. When I started my revamped program awhile back I put 3 x 7-10 shrugs in my back workout. That combined with heavy deads and rowing movements made my traps grow like crazy. I switch off weekly between dumbbells and barbells to keep things interesting, but dumbbells are my favorite. I have a pretty big question about shrugs though... do you guys keep your shoulders pulled back when you do them? I just hang my shoulders normal and I can get them up to my ears so it's a longer rep. But some guys do them with their shoulders back farther and it seems to get a tighter trap contraction (if you do it real quick with no weight you'll see...) but it's not as long of a rep. How should I be doing them?

ChrisG
04-06-07, 11:31 pm
I used to have non-existent traps. Literally...traps were virtually flat, giving me a horrible looking delt/traps area. When I started my revamped program awhile back I put 3 x 7-10 shrugs in my back workout. That combined with heavy deads and rowing movements made my traps grow like crazy. I switch off weekly between dumbbells and barbells to keep things interesting, but dumbbells are my favorite. I have a pretty big question about shrugs though... do you guys keep your shoulders pulled back when you do them? I just hang my shoulders normal and I can get them up to my ears so it's a longer rep. But some guys do them with their shoulders back farther and it seems to get a tighter trap contraction (if you do it real quick with no weight you'll see...) but it's not as long of a rep. How should I be doing them?

I have the same question. Naturally I do mine with my shoulders back and I can never get my traps up to my ears but I never really thought about the position of my shoulders before.

Big Al
04-07-07, 12:01 am
straight bar in front and as fuckin heavy as you can hold...thats how you get BIG traps....1005lbs,be care full not to roll your back forward.Your well on your way to big fuckin traps my man.

Rags
04-07-07, 3:58 am
WoW alot of different ideas of how my brothers train. An a few new ideas. My method that really sparked growth out of me was doing 3 to 4 sets. Each set is 10 or more. The reps i just play a very sick mind game on my self. If i can barley hit 6-8 i tell my self to man up. OR whatever else gets me motivated. But man up seems to do it for me. Usually i barely hit 10 an im gased. If im doing good for 8-10. I tell myself ohh was that to easy keep going. After a few more its man up. That usually gets me 12-15 until i hit the wall. Then near the end of my workout i come back an do the same thing but reverse. Both front an back i do in the smith machine.

I used to try an do them with the barbells. But going infront i usually felt it in my back even though the weight wasnt all that heavy. I tried from behind. But my a$$ kept getting in the way. As for dumbbells they dont go high up as id like them to. Plus i get such a way different feel an burn from the smith.

Something else i like to do that i still feel in my traps is when i do deadlifts. Of course i feel it everywhere. An my traps are usually one of th emany places.

By the way grats on getting up 1k, thats some freaky stuff right there...

maddawg
04-07-07, 2:01 pm
straight bar in front and as fuckin heavy as you can hold...thats how you get BIG traps....1005lbs,be care full not to roll your back forward.Your well on your way to big fuckin traps my man.

i was shruggin heavy about a year ago and i went to but the bar back down and i rolled my shoulders forward and leaned over a little bit a blew 2 ribs in my back outta place. that sucked ass but that was the last time that ever happened

spartan300
04-07-07, 2:56 pm
if shrugging with over 1000lbs. hasn't given him the desired effect yet its time to ditch the heavy weight theory.

Kiwi129
04-08-07, 3:14 pm
If you've gotten good development from doing heavy weight and have been doing it for a long time that's good. If you're experiencing a stagnation, do something you've never done before. Do a significantly lighter weight for sets of 20 or something. Do things you haven't done before to break past that plateau.

BigAnt
04-08-07, 8:24 pm

yeah heavy ass weight is good and your form also has to be good...warm up good, keep your calories high with good food..and shrug!

try dumbbell shrugs after barbell shrugs, and even try drop sets with barbell shrugs-dumbbell shrugs for an intense work out....

Budsbythebeach
04-08-07, 8:29 pm
if shrugging with over 1000lbs. hasn't given him the desired effect yet its time to ditch the heavy weight theory.

how do you think he got up to shruggin 1k? by doing sets of 225? doubt it. go heavy.

spartan300
04-08-07, 9:03 pm
I thought this way until I met Pete Grymkowski in the late 70's. He taught me a better way. You go heavier if you can go heavier. Maintaining strictness of movement while reaching a peak contraction on every rep is critical in recruiting deeper fibers. FORM LENDS TO ITS OWN RESISTANCE! Please do not go heavy for the sole purpose of being able to tell others you go heavy. Sergio Oliva had 23" arms and I don't remember seeing him do anything less than 15 reps on any curling movement. When it comes to training you must expand your horizons. Use the guidelines discussed here sure,but feel free to explore variations. Sets, reps, varying loading parameters, periodization BLAH, BLAH, BLAH you guys know the drill. I know you guys can figure it out. You can thank me later when you have 23" pythons!

The_Beast
04-08-07, 9:11 pm
Dude, This is my Nine Set Killer.

Heavy Shrugs:
5x6-8 W/405lbs.
1x12 W/315lbs
2x12-15 W/225lbs.
1x50 W/135lbs.

Ive never Felt Such a Feeling in my Traps, where I couldnt even lift them Fuckers after a Workout until Yesterday. This Seriously made my Week Worth While in Trap Development.-

The_Beast

maddawg
04-08-07, 10:28 pm

i never once said it hasnt givin me the desired effect i just stated that i want them to continue growing larger and thicker, and i am still growin and always looking for that next peice of info thats gonna help i dont have all the knowledge i am far from knowing it all thats why i ask the ??? KNOWLEDGE IS POWER.

msktyshha
05-13-10, 11:59 am
When asked about how to train your traps to grow most guys would tell you to do shrugs. Shrugs are a very good exercise for traps, but how do you do them correctly. Most of us know the basic way to do shrugs and that is bring your shoulders to your ears. Now when i do shrugs I have in my mind that just bring my shoulders to my ears, with that in mind I involve my shoulders in more than the traps themselves. I wanna know how to develop that true mind to muscle connection for traps. I really wanna bring my traps up by direct traps training. What should one have in there mind to really get the traps involved rather than the shoulders or arms. I see many guys including myself moving heavy ass weight on shrugs, but can those little traps really move that much weight?

JUGGERNAUT
05-13-10, 12:13 pm
Yes, traps can move a lot of weight and you don't have to worry about your shoulders getting involved, they are not what moves that bar in that position.

Aggression
05-13-10, 12:15 pm
Yup. The traps are a very strong muscle. Some of the best traps in the world are built from heavy deadlifting as well.

G Diesel
05-13-10, 12:19 pm
Actually shrug right now... Shrug your shoulders, not like an exercise, but like you are shrugging as if you were saying "I don't know." You see that? All traps. Now do that same thing but with dumbbells in your hands.

Listen to Juggs, he knows of having no neck.

Peace, G

prowrestler
05-13-10, 12:27 pm
traps normally accompany strong people.

get strong, get traps.

intoodeep25
05-13-10, 12:46 pm
traps normally accompany strong people.

get strong, get traps.

couldnt have said it better myself

Razor
05-13-10, 12:47 pm
Listen to Juggs, he knows of having no neck.

HAHAHAHAHAHA i could actually giggle now since i met the phenom himself :D

Sho
05-13-10, 1:26 pm
I find cleans build my traps the most.. but that's me.

I also see alot of guys shrugging big weight but only pulling the bar up a few centimeters and with no pause..

JUGGERNAUT
05-13-10, 1:55 pm
Pause no pause; centimeters or inches, heavy shrugs still build big traps.

msktyshha
05-13-10, 1:55 pm
I did 3 sets of dumbbell shrugs: 40lbs in each hand for 10 reps, 70 for 8, 80 for 7 followed by 3 sets of barbell shrugs 135 for 10, 155 for 8, 185 for 6. I went all the way up and back down shoulders to ears, but the thing is I just didn't feel that they were pumped.

JUGGERNAUT
05-13-10, 2:01 pm
I did 3 sets of dumbbell shrugs: 40lbs in each hand for 10 reps, 70 for 8, 80 for 7 followed by 3 sets of barbell shrugs 135 for 10, 155 for 8, 185 for 6. I went all the way up and back down shoulders to ears, but the thing is I just didn't feel that they were pumped.

Too many reps and not enough weight. Not only that, it's how you feel 2 days from now not 5 minutes after. Bend your knees a little when you do them.

msktyshha
05-13-10, 2:13 pm
Too many reps and not enough weight. Not only that, it's how you feel 2 days from now not 5 minutes after. Bend your knees a little when you do them.

Will do sir, as long as I get confirmation from you guys that it's the right way then i am good. also when I do shrugs the back of my neck right above the traps gets pumped, like it all gets filled with blood and veins pop out, is that suppose to happen?

JUGGERNAUT
05-13-10, 2:30 pm
Will do sir, as long as I get confirmation from you guys that it's the right way then i am good. also when I do shrugs the back of my neck right above the traps gets pumped, like it all gets filled with blood and veins pop out, is that suppose to happen?

That is common to happen.

msktyshha
05-13-10, 2:37 pm
juggernaut rox!! after all the confirmation i can hit my traps with full confidence, because that's what builds intensity, doubt kills intensity.

FITGYM
05-13-10, 2:44 pm
Work them hard and intense

prowrestler
05-13-10, 3:03 pm
when i use to train traps, this worked

heavy weight, 12-20 reps and a fast tempo. traps are explosive. u can use some bopdy english if its needed near the middle-end of a set.

G Diesel
05-13-10, 4:22 pm
I once heard a very strong guy say that traps should be trained with manageable weights and high reps and should be stretched and squeezed deliberately on each rep. That super-heavy trap training was often a sign of a rookie trainer loading up a bar on the only exercise where he could manage to handle bigger weights--using shrugs as an ego movement instead of a bodybuilding movement. Just something to consider, because there is some truth to it. I've found that like every bodypart, diverse rep ranges from really heavy to high rep burnouts work best. But if you want to train your traps, make sure it is your traps actually being used to move the weight on shrugs.

Peace, G

msktyshha
05-13-10, 4:42 pm
I once heard a very strong guy say that traps should be trained with manageable weights and high reps and should be stretched and squeezed deliberately on each rep. That super-heavy trap training was often a sign of a rookie trainer loading up a bar on the only exercise where he could manage to handle bigger weights--using shrugs as an ego movement instead of a bodybuilding movement. Just something to consider, because there is some truth to it. I've found that like every bodypart, diverse rep ranges from really heavy to high rep burnouts work best. But if you want to train your traps, make sure it is your traps actually being used to move the weight on shrugs.

Peace, G

hmmm so what would be considered cheating while doing shrugs?

MojoMike36
05-13-10, 6:21 pm
Traps are simple. Murder them and they grow. High reps, low reps, heavy weight, light weight w/ tight form, drop sets, super sets.... it all works. Be careful not to get them too big. Monster traps make your delts look wimpy if they're not developed.

Legacy
05-13-10, 10:13 pm
I am a fan of behind the back shrugs, tremendous benefits especially when supersetted with a conventional barbell shrug. I put traps first in my workout too, pull some heavy weight while I am full of energy instead of being drained and just doing 5 sets post delt workout.

Muscleguy93
05-13-10, 10:38 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoWON9ExBqA

G Diesel
05-14-10, 11:26 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoWON9ExBqA

Precisely. That says it all.

Now, I'm not going to lie and say that I don't or haven't trained traps very heavily. But I do think there is something to be said for actually contracting and focusing on those specific muscles when training traps.

Peace, G

JUGGERNAUT
05-14-10, 11:54 am
Big traps, strong traps and big strong traps are 3 diff things. I go for functional strength that takes a heap of weight.

That vid was annoying, "Don't drop your shoulders." Bull

"The 140lb guy is the one doing heavy weight." Bull

"I only use 50lb dumbbells per side." Weaksauce

G Diesel
05-14-10, 12:00 pm
Big traps, strong traps and big strong traps are 3 diff things. I go for functional strength that takes a heap of weight.

That vid was annoying, "Don't drop your shoulders." Bull

"The 140lb guy is the one doing heavy weight." Bull

"I only use 50lb dumbbells per side." Weaksauce

It is a fact that barbell shrugs are the first exercise where young skinny kids pile on the weight. It is an ego thing. Who hasn't done it in their day?

Anybody can shrug a lot of weight. Not everybody can do it using their traps.

FYI, the weaksauce you speak of has been seen shoulder pressing 200lb DBs and close gripping 4 pies at various Jersey ABC events.

Peace, G

JUGGERNAUT
05-14-10, 12:52 pm
It is a fact that barbell shrugs are the first exercise where young skinny kids pile on the weight. It is an ego thing. Who hasn't done it in their day?

Anybody can shrug a lot of weight. Not everybody can do it using their traps.

FYI, the weaksauce you speak of has been seen shoulder pressing 200lb DBs and close gripping 4 pies at various Jersey ABC events.

Peace, G

Not attacking your "4 pie boi" G but there is no truth in me ever doing heavy traps for ego purpose and the people doing it for show; I hope are not on this forum. I was using a jack hammer before I walked into a gym. It WAS and IS the best trap training ever plus grip strength. This taught me the plan I still follow. Train for power and size follows.

Anybody can shrug a lot of weight? Far from true, let's not add the pretenders and let me add they also can't use very heavy weight without using straps. (585lbs is a good test for that with an over/under grip)

J-Dawg
05-14-10, 1:00 pm
I've made the mistake in the past of trying to train traps with a shitload of weight but hit every muscle but my traps in the process, lol. I suggest beginners get a feel for truly hitting the traps with lighter weights before going heavy.

G Diesel
05-14-10, 1:02 pm
Not attacking your "4 pie boi" G but there is no truth in me ever doing heavy traps for ego purpose and the people doing it for show; I hope are not on this forum. I was using a jack hammer before I walked into a gym. It WAS and IS the best trap training ever plus grip strength. This taught me the plan I still follow. Train for power and size follows.

Anybody can shrug a lot of weight? Far from true, let's not add the pretenders and let me add they also can't use very heavy weight without using straps. (585lbs is a good test for that with an over/under grip)

I was once a skinny, young kid and did do ego stuff like "shrug" as heavy as I could because it was an exercise where I could actually hold some real weight in my hands. I guarantee you similar young and impressionable inexperienced kids are here reading this now.

Shrugging to me, is not a great indicator of strength as the range of motion is so limited. The bar maybe moves 6 inches. I've shrugged very heavy (even with you) and don't see it as a post-worthy stat. As for the over/under grip, I wouldn't use it for trap training as it bio-mechanically changes the position of your hands and arms and as such hits the traps in an unbalanced manner. I guess you could do it if you alternate which hand is over and which is under from set to set.

Peace, G

JUGGERNAUT
05-14-10, 1:02 pm
I've made the mistake in the past of trying to train traps with a shitload of weight but hit every muscle but my traps in the process, lol. I suggest beginners get a feel for truly hitting the traps with lighter weights before going heavy.

Fine advice for beginners but "Before we die; we have gone heavy."

JUGGERNAUT
05-14-10, 1:48 pm
I was once a skinny, young kid and did do ego stuff like "shrug" as heavy as I could because it was an exercise where I could actually hold some real weight in my hands. I guarantee you similar young and impressionable inexperienced kids are here reading this now.

Shrugging to me, is not a great indicator of strength as the range of motion is so limited. The bar maybe moves 6 inches. I've shrugged very heavy (even with you) and don't see it as a post-worthy stat. As for the over/under grip, I wouldn't use it for trap training as it bio-mechanically changes the position of your hands and arms and as such hits the traps in an unbalanced manner. I guess you could do it if you alternate which hand is over and which is under from set to set.

Peace, G

I always switch my grip back fourth but more to even out the bicep stress, your traps don't care where your hands are. Besides, as you are sitting there, put one hand over then under, it should not change front to back location. Even if it's a hair due to some in-flexibility the weight pulling it down will even it out. "Strongmen" will argue your statement about heavy trap training not being an indicator of strength as will I and Big Wides. I'll put this in plain talk, if you don't train heavy; you will act like this outside the gym:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbSqaoyW8ac&feature=PlayList&p=28CD512ECDA73953&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=7

IronWilson
05-14-10, 1:49 pm
I have found light weights really work for my traps. I do this one exercise that is kind of like a rear delt raise using traps. I have had best results using 15-25 pound dumbbells.

IFBB Pro Rodney Roller was talking about how on shrugs he goes as light as 40 pound dumbbells sometimes with a hold at the top.

Ever since I started physical therapy for my scalpulas, my traps have been getting trained via my therapy exercises, and have consequently blown up. We're talking using 3-5 pound dumbbells here. This is what leads me to think that light weights have some validity in trap training. I used to believe in always hammering traps with big weights, because we are always told that they will grow easily like that. In reality, they are the same as any other muscle group.

With traps, you can really feel them working. But just because you CAN handle big weight on shrugs or something doesn't mean you should.

G Diesel
05-14-10, 1:59 pm
I always switch my grip back fourth but more to even out the bicep stress, your traps don't care where your hands are. Besides, as you are sitting there, put one hand over then under, it should not change front to back location. Even if it's a hair due to some in-flexibility the weight pulling it down will even it out. "Strongmen" will argue your statement about heavy trap training not being an indicator of strength as will I and Big Wides. I'll put this in plain talk, if you don't train heavy; you will act like this outside the gym:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbSqaoyW8ac&feature=PlayList&p=28CD512ECDA73953&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=7

Just looking to tone down the "train heavy. eat big. that is all." mindlessness that can go on from time to time. I want the young guys here to learn to be analytical and question accepted "wisdom" and why they do what they do and not hope to accidentally get big with a haphazard approach.

As for the physiology of the over/under grip watch someone doing it with a heavy bar in their hands and how differently the two sides of their body move. Nothing to do with flexibility.

We were talking about trap training, I was providing advice based on my own personal experiences as I have seen and done it all over the years. Made mistakes, made discoveries, made progress. I'm not looking to run my theories past a panel of "strongmen" though you did discount a very strong man who said he shrugs with 50s to properly train his traps.

Peace, G

JUGGERNAUT
05-14-10, 2:27 pm
My worst fear is that wisdom you speak of; makes those happy with lighter weights and smaller meals leading to smaller weaker bodies with little progress from year to year. If you are not injured, go heavy and eat alot. It will make your traps grow.

This Sicilian pie in front of me has me looking for whole milk and cake to go with it.

Cellardweller
05-14-10, 3:13 pm
Do you guys like to train traps on shoulder or back day? I tend to save traps for last in the line up, do you guys ever but them first?

ThePunisher
05-14-10, 3:19 pm
I gotta agree with G Diesel on this one! I have been doing shrugs heavy for a 6 months and no gain. Started using lighter weight really letting it burn and they are already seemingly getting bigger! It just works, I don't know why lol!

Do you guys like to train traps on shoulder or back day? I tend to save traps for last in the line up, do you guys ever but them first?
I do shoulders/traps on mondays so it is what I start off with.

G Diesel
05-14-10, 3:20 pm
My worst fear is that wisdom you speak of; makes those happy with lighter weights and smaller meals leading to smaller weaker bodies with little progress from year to year. If you are not injured, go heavy and eat alot. It will make your traps grow.

This Sicilian pie in front of me has me looking for whole milk and cake to go with it.

I want them to train right, not just train. I want them to eat right, not just eat.

I'm all for hard and heavy as that is how I've always trained but not to the exception and neglect of reason and common sense.

I hit mine on shoulder day as I always have, but see no problem in pairing them with back. Both make sense and would work well.

Why not some high reps on delt day and low and heavy reps on back day? Madness.

Peace, G

G Diesel
05-14-10, 3:24 pm
I gotta agree with G Diesel on this one! I have been doing shrugs heavy for a 6 months and no gain. Started using lighter weight really letting it burn and they are already seemingly getting bigger! It just works, I don't know why lol!

In all honesty I like both approaches and often apply them both in the same workout. Heavy reps with big weights and some burnout sets with deliberate reps to contract the target muscle. That same philosophy really applies to all of my training regardless of bodypart.

But find whatever really WORKS for YOU and ride it out til it stops working and then switch up the variables--rep range, weights, exercises, etc.

Peace, G

JUGGERNAUT
05-14-10, 4:00 pm
Not to toot my own traps but .... haha

prowrestler
05-14-10, 4:05 pm
i dont train traps.
they grow. probably my best bodypart
i am lucky

FITGYM
05-14-10, 4:14 pm
Traps are like Calves. They are stubborn and don't listen when you tell them how you reaaly feel. You can't go wrong with high reps.

G Diesel
05-14-10, 4:17 pm
Not to toot my own traps but .... haha

If you don't, who will?

i dont train traps.
they grow. probably my best bodypart
i am lucky

Good problem to have. I'm too scared to not train everything.

Traps are like Calves. They are stubborn and don't listen when you tell them how you reaaly feel. You can't go wrong with high reps.

Church.

Peace, G

prowrestler
05-14-10, 4:39 pm
Good problem to have. I'm too scared to not train everything.

when i use to do direct trap work, it made my shoudler width look shit and took a goood amount of time to catch up.

i find the indirect stimulation i get from deads and back deffinatly enough...for me anyways

Cstlfx
05-14-10, 4:39 pm
In order to get my traps to grow I have had to work them mulitple times a week using heavy/low reps, and light/high reps with techniques including, DB, BB, Hex Bar, and Incline.

Heavy weight with low reps helps my deadlift while I can make my traps look pretty by squeezing low weight hard.

Lifting from different angles keeps the traps guessing and they have finally been growing. Everything I can do I have been trying, and its not just heavy weight. If I only do heavy weight they dont grow, but they get strong.

But, if I only go light, they get bigger, but no strength. There must be balance.

jeff00z28
05-14-10, 8:30 pm
i used to work with 495 or 585 but i find its better to just work with around 300. i deadlift heavy so shrugs are rly meaningless to me other than to work traps. however i felt i could lock out deadlift easier when i used to do them heavier. but right now i cant deadlift heavy at all due to an injury so i will keep them light for probably a long time

msktyshha
05-15-10, 7:58 am
I want the young guys here to learn to be analytical and question accepted "wisdom" and why they do what they do and not hope to accidentally get big with a haphazard approach.Peace, G

this is why I posted this trap topic, i mean I do get results from how i am training my traps right now, but I feel I can get better. To me getting better results is by knowing in your heart that wtf your really doing. If I don't even know how traps move, how will I build that muscle to mind connection properly. once you know how to do a specific exercise properly than it's up to you what kinda rep range and weight you wanna use. Since I know my form is good, I'll keep going heavy with moderate reps and once I stop seeing results from that, I'll just switch over to low weight high reps.

prowrestler
05-15-10, 4:44 pm
I'll just switch over to low weight high reps.

problem.

low weight high reps = meh
heavy weight low reps = meh

now if your shrugging the 200's for 30 reps....your gonna have giant traps. just progressivly get stronger in the 10-15 rep zone man, and eat to support growth. thats all it takes to build muscle. fuck that superset/dropset/stripset triset bullshit. just focus on moving more pounds for more reps and slam away more good food.

korinek00
05-15-10, 5:19 pm
If you have so much weight on the bar that your not getting the full range of motion it's obviously TOO MUCH weight. The term "heavy" is relative. To Billy Bob Joe it may be 150 pounds. Focus on a weight that to you is "heavy", but still allows you to get the full contraction and full range of motion.

G Diesel
05-17-10, 9:23 am
this is why I posted this trap topic, i mean I do get results from how i am training my traps right now, but I feel I can get better. To me getting better results is by knowing in your heart that wtf your really doing. If I don't even know how traps move, how will I build that muscle to mind connection properly. once you know how to do a specific exercise properly than it's up to you what kinda rep range and weight you wanna use. Since I know my form is good, I'll keep going heavy with moderate reps and once I stop seeing results from that, I'll just switch over to low weight high reps.

problem.

low weight high reps = meh
heavy weight low reps = meh

now if your shrugging the 200's for 30 reps....your gonna have giant traps. just progressivly get stronger in the 10-15 rep zone man, and eat to support growth. thats all it takes to build muscle. fuck that superset/dropset/stripset triset bullshit. just focus on moving more pounds for more reps and slam away more good food.

If you have so much weight on the bar that your not getting the full range of motion it's obviously TOO MUCH weight. The term "heavy" is relative. To Billy Bob Joe it may be 150 pounds. Focus on a weight that to you is "heavy", but still allows you to get the full contraction and full range of motion.

The best point here and what Juggs and I were alluding to specifically, is that weight is relative and obviously your goal should at all times to be training as heavy as possible with GOOD FORM as that is what tends to, in most cases, produce the best results.

But "heavy" is indeed a relative term. Heavy for me may be the next guy's warmup.

Results are what you should be after and whatever produces results for you as an individual is the correct way to train, not what anybody else tells you. Train hard and train with an open mind and you'll get far.

When Rodney Roller who is stupid strong says he gets the best trap workout with 50s, I'll at least pay attention, because he's bigger than I am and he's capable of probably shrugging 700 lbs if he wants to but chooses not to for a reason. Then if Juggs or someone else I respect says as heavy as possible, 6 reps per set, I'll consider that too, then try it all and see what works best for me, cuz at the end of the day the RESULTS are what I care about, not theory or conjecture.

Peace, G

Razor
05-17-10, 10:17 am
The best point here and what Juggs and I were alluding to specifically, is that weight is relative and obviously your goal should at all times to be training as heavy as possible with GOOD FORM as that is what tends to, in most cases, produce the best results.

But "heavy" is indeed a relative term. Heavy for me may be the next guy's warmup.

Results are what you should be after and whatever produces results for you as an individual is the correct way to train, not what anybody else tells you. Train hard and train with an open mind and you'll get far.

When Rodney Roller who is stupid strong says he gets the best trap workout with 50s, I'll at least pay attention, because he's bigger than I am and he's capable of probably shrugging 700 lbs if he wants to but chooses not to for a reason. Then if Juggs or someone else I respect says as heavy as possible, 6 reps per set, I'll consider that too, then try it all and see what works best for me, cuz at the end of the day the RESULTS are what I care about, not theory or conjecture.

Peace, G

Very well Said G! It is very important to realize what your body can and can't do (yet). From there you set your goals but have to remember that you need the best possible form while striving towards your goals. Don't get me wrong it's hard to see someone else shrug a shitload of weight and then not be able to get the same weight up but you have to realize this game is about progression and if you don't have the basics down like good form you're not going to go anywhere. My shrugs aren't anything to boast about but when i do them my weight is increasing and i feel the soreness the next day in the right areas. That's all i care about when all is said and done. Not the dude doing 900lbs on the bar. Is that something to strive for? Yeah of course but it's not going to depress me or put me in a state of frustration if i can't get that up at this very moment.

Hard Cell
05-18-10, 1:33 am

Peace, G

Ditto G,
alot of people tend to forgot that Bodybuilding is about the feel.
Not theory or conjecture.

ronnie
05-18-10, 1:41 am
good article, interview with jim wendler and he explains the growth of his massive traps...

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_interviews/blood_and_chalk_jim_wendler_talks_big_weights