PDA

View Full Version : Motivating Movies/Films/Vids

J D R
04-06-07, 12:39 pm
wat movies do u guys find most motivating?

for me its any movie with arnold in it

Secur1ty
04-06-07, 12:48 pm
Agreed... Terminator Series, Rambo, and Wrestling. (wrestling isnt a movie tho, so i guess it dont really count) =/

gsb239
04-06-07, 12:54 pm
Pumping Iron for sure. But even more so Cost of Redemption by Ronnie Coleman, those insane lifts and Ronnie yelling before every set at the one and only Metroflex. Jay Cutler's dvd always get me going too, I love his style of training.

emcdaniels
04-06-07, 1:03 pm
Gladiator...Those guys were animals.

nawaaz
04-06-07, 1:17 pm
Troy got me going, with all the traditional fights and all.
But if you ask me, no time for those these days. lol

nawaaz

live2lift
04-06-07, 1:37 pm
Definitely any of Arnolds movies. But even more so, the current Animal videos. Good Lord Wrath is a fucking beast and he is always lifting a shitload of weight with good form. Just seeing his intensity motivates me...makes me want to lift again even if I just got back from the gym. I also love the fact that unlike other BB videos, there is no talking at all, just some heavy metal music playing. Peace!

boar
04-06-07, 3:46 pm
I would have to say gladiator was one for me. But also the animal arms video of wrath. Every single rep is performed with control and strength. I try to do this when I am working small muscle groups. Don't let the weight control you, control the weight.

DreamZero
04-06-07, 3:56 pm
man of fire and ali

k1usa
04-06-07, 4:09 pm
DVD''s from Animal Pak....Arnolds movies.....the new Balboa.....

what really gets me going is....hearing the iron clang....its like hot blood going through my head...its like a drug.....also....the gains Ive made...I see something change...and it gets me going...

brandonA
04-06-07, 4:19 pm
when i was a kid i loved the Conan movies, still do, must have seen them a 1000 times...not lifting related but really good story is The Prusit of Happiness....Man when you think you have it bad, watch that movie and remember, it can alway get worse....but there is always a light at the end of the tunnel it you want it bad enough and work hard enough. Personal motivation for me right now is the mirror and my 1st baby on the way...

-B

spartan300
04-06-07, 4:21 pm
DVD''s from Animal Pak....Arnolds movies.....the new Balboa.....

what really gets me going is....hearing the iron clang....its like hot blood going through my head...its like a drug.....also....the gains Ive made...I see something change...and it gets me going...

Thats because He's one of ours! (the geriatric animals)

NickSP
04-06-07, 5:40 pm
Wow, seriously? No one's said 300?

Ricky P
04-06-07, 5:42 pm
For me it has to be the earlier Rocky's. I haven't watched them in a while, but I used to sit in front of the TV and rock out to the marathons on TNT, just all day. Used to get chills whenever that bell rang and it was time for him to train. Dead jacked in Rocky IV training like a cave man in Russia, sick.

JUGGERNAUT
04-06-07, 6:39 pm
Gladiator...Those guys were animals.

agreed and now that 300 too. MAD MAX, remember Humungous?

spartan300
04-06-07, 7:46 pm

MASTER BLASTER (and I don't mean Joe W.)

never_2_big
04-06-07, 7:53 pm
300, gladiator and braveheart----- good for some firing up

txpower
04-06-07, 9:05 pm
300, gladiator and braveheart----- good for some firing up

being a football player at heart, movies like invincible, friday night lights, remember the titans, get me going, but so does 300, troy, and gladiator

Chin
04-07-07, 12:12 am
300 was bloody awesome... Did I ever hit my max on leg day...

Gambit
04-07-07, 12:43 pm
I bought the 300 soundtrack and now everytime I hit the college weight room, the guys all cheer cause they know I bring it with me every time. I can literally see every guy's intensity go up about 3 notches when that music comes on.

Rocky IV, X-Men 2 (when Wolverine kicks the shit outta the soldiers), 300, and Pumping Iron all get me fired up...

...and then I throw on the Animal training videos and that iron just calls...

gnoll5
04-07-07, 1:52 pm
i am thinkin' Gladiator, and hoping 300; going to see it on Tuesday. and for some reason Pulp Fiction; it puts me in a 'cool but dangerous' mood, which works for me!!

jeff00z28
04-07-07, 6:57 pm
during the week i am completely motivated by getting angry at all of the asshole drivers in the city

PowerBuilder
04-08-07, 3:22 am

peterpyper
04-08-07, 11:39 am
rocky when he was training in the moutains

Tron
04-08-07, 12:11 pm
Anything really action packed will get me going. Pretty well any Arnold and Stallone movie....

Gunshow
04-08-07, 2:57 pm
300 for sure pumps me up everytime. I've seen it 3 times in theatres now i have the screener at my house. Also the Rocky boxset is a must have.

Budsbythebeach
04-08-07, 3:01 pm
Didnt notice it up there im surprised. The scene where he gets smashed in the chin, his mouth piece flys out, he bends over picks it up, looks at the guy, spits out some blood and smiles.

Rocky is also good for making me see my diet isnt that bad, in the original the first day he starts training, he gets up at 4am downs like 6 raw eggs in a glass and goes for a jog in freezing weather, thats hardcore.

MedusaThrills
03-30-08, 3:09 pm
Whats your favourite / most-motivating film to watch? A Film that gets you so pumped about the gym you want to rush out and pump iron but you forget its rest day.

For me it has to be Pumping Iron.. Im downloading Rocky Balboa at the moment as i always here people talking about this.

Whats yours?

Alex

Jala_B
03-30-08, 3:17 pm
G.I. Jane. I know it is not so much a weightlifting movie, but still inspires me!

SQUAT or DIE!
03-30-08, 3:18 pm
like so many others here its pumping iron.... for lifting

any football movie always gets me motivated/ pumped..

born0withno0soul
03-30-08, 3:39 pm
bambi

SQUAT or DIE!
03-30-08, 3:40 pm
bambi

you my friend are hardcore...

born0withno0soul
03-30-08, 3:41 pm
pffft.... it comes natural

BiG in NYC 823
03-30-08, 3:57 pm
Pumping Iron of course..but also..
300...just gets you motivated to kick some ass and lift some heavy ass weight..

GrayBull
03-30-08, 4:05 pm
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dF8F84kxksc

Right before walking out the door...though I wish he would have put some better clips of Branch in there.

born0withno0soul
03-30-08, 4:10 pm

Right before walking out the door...though I wish he would have put some better clips of Branch in there.

i like that video as well.

MedusaThrills
03-30-08, 4:25 pm

Awesome video. Always hear lots of people talking about it.

deanna7272
03-30-08, 4:28 pm
G.I. Jane. I know it is not so much a weightlifting movie, but still inspires me!

Girl, I am with you on that...

18plusarms
03-30-08, 4:57 pm
Rocky movies, vision quest, cast away

Phil800101
03-30-08, 5:40 pm

Just walk away...

What about Wez (Vernon Wells)? He was pretty big too...Humungous takes the cake however.

The opening car chase in the first Mad Max, with the Night Rider, that always gets me fired up.

MASTER BLASTER (and I don't mean Joe W.)

Beyond Thunderdome does not count, lol. It is not a Mad Max movie, despite what the title might say, lol.

Just kidding, I know many people like this movie and that's cool. I can't stand it though, something about it just drives me nuts, so different than the other two.

Phil800101
03-30-08, 5:55 pm
There are many movies that in one way or another I find motivating and/or inspiring, be it the entire film or just a certain part of it. Several of them have been listed here. Several I can add are:

The Shawshank Redemption, Tombstone, The Punisher (Jane, not Lundgren), Black Hawk Down, Batman, Die Hard, Jarhead, Leon (The Professional), Boondock Saints, Rollerball, We Were Soldiers, Saving Private Ryan, Patton, Twelve O' Clock High, The Longest Day, Silence of the Lambs, Manhunter, Collateral, Lethal Weapon 1-3, Heat, Platoon, Starship Troopers, Robocop...the list goes on...

There is one, however, that stands out in my mind, and it's one that I don't think many people on here will list. That film is American Beauty. If you haven't seen the film, and would like to, then don't read this next part.

*SPOILER ALERT*

The way that Lester takes control of his life, and starts to do what makes him happy always inspires me, even if some of his motives, choices, and behaviors are questionable to say the least. I also like the films message about beauty, and how phoniness is cheap and ugly. I like the fact that the film promotes staying true to yourself, and shows how forcing yourself to be someone you're not will ultimately make you unhappy and unfulfilled. This morivates me and inspires me.

lespaul59
03-30-08, 6:09 pm
For lifting it's Conan(both movies), Dorian Yates: Blood and Guts, Pumping Iron and I really like Guntermania. But for playing Paintball it's Rambo(1-4) and Preditor(spelling).

BryanSmash!
03-31-08, 12:56 am
I'm surprised no one mentioned "Power Unlimited " yet. Its got my vote.
http://www.powerunlimitedthemovie.com/

Phil800101
03-31-08, 1:02 am
I'm surprised no one mentioned "Power Unlimited " yet. Its got my vote.
http://www.powerunlimitedthemovie.com/

Never heard of it. Just watched the trailer though, that looks really good. I'm going to have to check it out...

BamBam
03-31-08, 9:39 am
Pumping Iron, Blood and Guts, ANIMAL DVD Series, The Punisher (new), Rocky series, Gladiator, Conan series, any martial arts films, Superhero movies (mainly the fight scenes), 300...damn...it goes on but thats a few...

Enforcer
03-31-08, 10:05 am
Where to start? Hmmmm....
A Man Apart
Rocky I thru Rocky Balboa
Rudy
Vision Quest
Braveheart
Gladiator
Blood and Guts- Dorian Yates DVD
Pumping Iron
The Program
Invincable
Man on Fire
Best of the Best
All of the Animal DVD's
Any clip on youtube of a bodybuilder training- ex. Ronnie, Jay, Levrone, Yates, Warren, etc.

There are def more, but this is all that I could think of 4 now

prowrestler
03-31-08, 4:21 pm
pumping iron

ronnie coleman dvd's

jay cutler's dvd

markus ruhls"dvd

dorian yates'dvd

300, i am spartan so its even more special to me.

Phil800101
04-01-08, 10:55 am
This video really motivates me for the gym:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU

Enforcer
04-01-08, 10:56 am
This video really motivates me for the gym:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU

White man with a black man's voice. Who knew?

Toni69
04-01-08, 11:11 am
Where to start? Hmmmm....
A Man Apart
Rocky I thru Rocky Balboa
Rudy
Vision Quest
Braveheart
Gladiator
Blood and Guts- Dorian Yates DVD
Pumping Iron
The Program
Invincable
Man on Fire
Best of the Best
All of the Animal DVD's
Any clip on youtube of a bodybuilder training- ex. Ronnie, Jay, Levrone, Yates, Warren, etc.

There are def more, but this is all that I could think of 4 now

I cant believe you put Rudy here. I love that flick! Hey..pumpin iron 2 wasnt bad either you know. Its really hard to find though.

Enforcer
04-01-08, 11:14 am
I cant believe you put Rudy here. I love that flick! Hey..pumpin iron 2 wasnt bad either you know. Its really hard to find though.

Rudy is a gerat flick. A true story about heart and determination. And do u mean the video of when Arnold went back to train for the 1980 Mr. O?

Toni69
04-01-08, 11:20 am
Rudy is a gerat flick. A true story about heart and determination. And do u mean the video of when Arnold went back to train for the 1980 Mr. O?

no..pumping iron 2 is with the ladies of bb'ing. Its super hard to find anymore.

stumblin54
04-01-08, 11:22 am
Maryland Muscle Machine-M3.

Stumblin

Big Wides
04-01-08, 1:04 pm
To Kill A Mockingbird
Moby Dick
Rocky I
The Program
Hoosiers
Platoon

BrotherInArms
04-01-08, 8:34 pm
300s real good, Rambo too; Fight Club.
Give me a mirror and that's all the motivation I need.

SQUAT or DIE!
04-01-08, 8:39 pm
i watched that powerunlimited clips and thats got my vote, kevin nee is one of my fav strongmen so this now has my vote and im gonna have to get it..

MassMan
04-01-08, 8:43 pm
300 because the dudes are jacked

Rocky IV because Ivan Drago is beast

Other films

Animal DVD's (can't wait for the free Legs I scored!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Any bb/powerlifting videos or movies

smith06
04-01-08, 11:42 pm
300, Fight Club, Rocky's, Rambo's, Terminator's.

there was a youtube link on BB.com of a dad with a son who had muscular dystrophy who competed in Triathlon's with his son at his side the entire time. The most inspirational thing I ever saw.

smith06
04-01-08, 11:50 pm
got the link to it...if this dad can do this...I can suffer through any workout.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8gm7XwtIJdM

Achilles
04-02-08, 12:29 am
300, and I watch the yates videos on youtube everyday before I train .. I also watch lee haney pose at the 84 olympia on youtube .. then I lock in and prepare for punishment

AFTazz06
10-09-08, 10:18 pm
So since the age of 6 i've always been amazed at Arnold's physique and his role in the Conan movies. Conan the Destroyer was my favorite childhood movie, i would drive my parents crazy wanting to watch the Conan VHS over and over. So i've found that lately (since i'm on keto and included Salmon into one of my meals), watching the Conan movies helps me down the fish with no problem. I've never been a big fan of eating fish but ever since i've studied and practice the awesome sport of Bodybuilding, i know the importance of eating fatty fish. So my question to you brothers is, do you have any problems during your road in the iron game and what do you do to help keep motivation up and eliminate the problem? This can go either way, dieting or training.

shizz702
10-09-08, 10:34 pm
I've had my fair share of trial and error. There was a time I wouldn't eat enough, and what not, but now, it's just like clock work. I don't think about it, I just do it. You get to a point where it just becomes a daily routine. The body thrives off regularity so once you get everything all setup and find what works for you I find it's not so hard. With the eating, especially when I want to bulk up, I just gag the shit down and don't even think about how I might not be hungry, I think to myself I'm not eating to enjoy the food or cause I'm hungry, I'm eating to grow!

curt_james
07-11-09, 3:50 am
So since the age of 6 i've always been amazed at Arnold's physique and his role in the Conan movies. Conan the Destroyer was my favorite childhood movie, i would drive my parents crazy wanting to watch the Conan VHS over and over. So i've found that lately (since i'm on keto and included Salmon into one of my meals), watching the Conan movies helps me down the fish with no problem. I've never been a big fan of eating fish but ever since i've studied and practice the awesome sport of Bodybuilding, i know the importance of eating fatty fish. So my question to you brothers is, do you have any problems during your road in the iron game and what do you do to help keep motivation up and eliminate the problem? This can go either way, dieting or training.

I gotta say that I'm a diehard Arnold fan from waaay back in the day.

Attended the first four Arnold Classics. The first one only cost $100 for the VIP package and that included a pic with Arnold. That was 1989. I have those Polaroids somewhere in a box. lol

And I'm sure I wore out (or nearly so) a number of VHS tapes of Arnold movies like Conan and Terminator. Oh, yeah!

As far as problems go, well, I'm the freaking problem. I'm a joe average who looks nothing like a bodybuilder. I've always appreciated or admired muscular builds on men and women. Betty Viana-Adkins is in a YouTube that I posted on the one site recently. Muscles and sex do go together as far as that woman is concerned. grrrrr

:-)

But the real solution for me has been the knowledge that weight training keeps me stronger and looking better than if I had never found this sport or activity.

Though I'm never going to win the Mr. Olympia (or probably even Mr. Anything), I love the sport and truly believe that "bodybuilding" is for everyone.

Most recent motivation has been Jay Cutler's "All Access" which was a pretty cool film. Definitely different when compared to the Okabe vids.

Conan = Motivation and the F O R V M = motivation, too. Camaraderie and discussion can motivate people to get in the gym! It's about accountability, I believe.

AFTazz06
07-11-09, 11:04 am
I gotta say that I'm a diehard Arnold fan from waaay back in the day.

Attended the first four Arnold Classics. The first one only cost $100 for the VIP package and that included a pic with Arnold. That was 1989. I have those Polaroids somewhere in a box. lol

And I'm sure I wore out (or nearly so) a number of VHS tapes of Arnold movies like Conan and Terminator. Oh, yeah!

As far as problems go, well, I'm the freaking problem. I'm a joe average who looks nothing like a bodybuilder. I've always appreciated or admired muscular builds on men and women. Betty Viana-Adkins is in a YouTube that I posted on the one site recently. Muscles and sex do go together as far as that woman is concerned. grrrrr

:-)

But the real solution for me has been the knowledge that weight training keeps me stronger and looking better than if I had never found this sport or activity.

Though I'm never going to win the Mr. Olympia (or probably even Mr. Anything), I love the sport and truly believe that "bodybuilding" is for everyone.

Most recent motivation has been Jay Cutler's "All Access" which was a pretty cool film. Definitely different when compared to the Okabe vids.

Conan = Motivation and the F O R V M = motivation, too. Camaraderie and discussion can motivate people to get in the gym! It's about accountability, I believe.

I agree Curt! i've never been to an Arnold Classic, i hope to go this coming year now that i have a good job. But, the one thing that really opened my eyes to training and just the lifestyle had to have been 'Pumping Iron', just to see all of them having a good time, training, helping eachother out, eating together and just shocking people with the amount of food on the table, and ofcourse the dedication they had to competing on stage. Wish i were part of a clan of dedicated dudes like that, i think thats the key to being successful in this sport, aside from putting in the work yourself, you need that positive energy to surround you.

newbreed
07-11-09, 8:12 pm
Pumping Iron or Rocky