PDA

View Full Version : Lagging Chest: Troubles & Plateaus...

Jester
01-16-07, 12:41 am
I hate starting new topics but I have trained so hard on my chest and yet it will still not grow. I dont want my chest to lag behind when everything else continues to get bigger and no matter what I do.. it wont put on size.. I have tried Incline, Flat and Decline bench all numerous times and used different stuff but does anyone have any routines or suggestions for exercises that would hit that chest and help it grow...

karmazon
01-16-07, 12:50 am
I kinda have the same problem and noticed that cable crossovers really pushed my chest to grow. It worked for me, try it and maybe it'll work for you.

NumeroUno
01-16-07, 12:55 am
Sometimes you can tell by the pump, but most people will use their arms to push during bench instead of their chest. It make seem the same thing, but focus on your chest when you push. You'll notice a difference, let the pump be your guide.

spanish.iron
01-16-07, 1:00 am
Maybe you could tell us more details so that we can give you better advice. Like what is your current chest routine, how many sets, reps, etc. Also, are you going in there pushing some heavy weight, or is the weight down enough so that you can really focus your form on contracting and squeezing the hell outta your chest muscles. I say this because we all know that pretty much every chest exercise also uses triceps and front delts, but if you focus on only squeezing the chest for a good 8-12 reps it may be the trick for some growth. If you're already doing this then sorry I didn't help, but at least we've narrowed it down.

RedIron 392
01-16-07, 9:06 am
If you are keeping your arms in tight to your body on bench the pecks get hit very litttle. You might try elbows out and partials at the bottom, DB flys, cable crossovers and peckdeck hit the pecks directly.

~LV~
01-16-07, 9:20 am
What's your set/rep scheme?

How's your form?

How's your diet?

Eric
01-16-07, 9:43 am
I think you should only focus on the basics. Benchpress, Dumbbell presses flat and incline. Dumbbell flyes flat and incline. And Pec-deck. Dont bother to do cable cross. Its a shaping exercise you should do befor a contest to get more detail, not when you try to gain size. Try to go as heavy as possible for 6-8 reps, but only 9 set a workout. Good luck!

Brute Force
01-16-07, 11:24 am
I hate starting new topics but I have trained so hard on my chest and yet it will still not grow. I dont want my chest to lag behind when everything else continues to get bigger and no matter what I do.. it wont put on size.. I have tried Incline, Flat and Decline bench all numerous times and used different stuff but does anyone have any routines or suggestions for exercises that would hit that chest and help it grow...

The problem may be your technique. When many bench their technique causes them to primarily focus on the front delts instead of the chest. There are a few ways to correct this. First off, use a full range of motion. The first third of the press is where the chest is targeted the most. So going halfway down is a big no no. Second, go slow on the negative. Third, pinch your shoulder blades together. This will help activate the chest more and front delts less. Finally, try incorporating half reps at the bottom of the movement. For example, go all the way down, go halfway up, bring the bar down again and perform a full rep. This will count as one rep. Finish the set with an intensity technique such as forced reps or rest pause.

Brute Force
01-16-07, 11:25 am
If you are keeping your arms in tight to your body on bench the pecks get hit very litttle. You might try elbows out and partials at the bottom, DB flys, cable crossovers and peckdeck hit the pecks directly.

This is also very good advice.

Jester
01-16-07, 11:42 am
Incline Bench Warmup set of 10 with 135
3 sets of 8 185, 195, 205
Flat Bench
4 sets 8, 8, 6, 6
185, 225, 250, 285
Dumbbell Flyes
3 sets of 8
40, 50, 60
Cable Crossover
3 sets of 10
70, 80, 90
Then I do some pushup burnout thing that works pretty well at getting a good pump.

I will try some of your advice guys! Oh and another thing FORM is everything to me and I do everything in a set way so that my muscle gets the workout but like I said before.. I can get a NICE pump on my chest.. it just wont grow to save my freakin life.

Iron_Chaos
01-16-07, 11:53 am
Hey bro something to keep in mind the body wants to be stagnate if let. constantly changing makes your body change. switch routine up a lot.

also use of bands, chains, and boards help keep body guessing. plyometrics is another way to keep it guessing, going in and going all out with supersets, dropsets, and all keeps it guessing. going in and hammering one movements for 10-15 sets of reps of 15to as low as 4 keep it guessing.

just changing reps and sets is one thing. changing movements and angles is one way. changing the movements you do first is one way, do cable cross over then bench. then next time do incline then pushups then cable cross overs...you get the idea...work with it and enjoy growth.

ic

rusmuscle
01-16-07, 11:56 am
this should help - http://thefitshow.com/week3/milos_chest_med.htm

Ghandi
01-16-07, 12:36 pm
Like Iron_Chaos says, change is the key. Workout frequency is another thing you can change. When I hit a growth plateau, I find I can get over it, and then some, by following an HST (Hypertrophy Specific Training) schedule for a while. The basic principal is to start by lifting less weight, for less sets, but do more reps and more frequently, like work the same muscle group every 2 days. Then you increase the weight and lower the reps (keeping the frequency the same) over a few weeks or months until you are back to lifting your usual weight. This is great for encouraging growth.

Check out http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html for some more info on this.

spartan300
01-16-07, 1:09 pm
Barring any nerve damage or genetic birth defects Try giving some of these techniques a go. Assuming you have gone the steady diet of heavy benches and such. Pre exhaust, double and triple drops, stripping & super setting. Another thing you might want to keep in mind is that you may not be genetically pre disposed to building a large bulbous chest (which may not be such a bad thing!) If you are confused on how to apply the aforementioned feel free to contact me.

Jester
01-16-07, 4:02 pm
Well Genetics isnt a factor because my father was always shorter and had a hell of a body in his day and so I dont think it has to do with that but I will admit when I was in high school ARMS was one thing we always trained during football and BACK as well.. I mean I have only been liftin a year consecutively and have seen a major difference but it has taken SOOOO long.. but I will take all of your advice to heart brothers and let you know the outcome in a month or 2... peace

Jester

waugie14
01-16-07, 4:40 pm
I go balls to the wall on everything else, but chest I gotta use enough to actually squeeze my chest because my tris take over too easily.

spartan300
01-16-07, 7:17 pm
Well Genetics isnt a factor because my father was always shorter and had a hell of a body in his day and so I dont think it has to do with that but I will admit when I was in high school ARMS was one thing we always trained during football and BACK as well.. I mean I have only been liftin a year consecutively and have seen a major difference but it has taken SOOOO long.. but I will take all of your advice to heart brothers and let you know the outcome in a month or 2... peace

Jester
your genetics determine just about everything that makes you, YOU! From short biceps to high calves that is all predetermined by your genetic blueprint.

Nine Ball
01-16-07, 7:41 pm
Try adding more frequency to your training. Train each body part (or at least chest) once every 3 or 4 days. All of your training responses (protein synthesis, IGF-1 levels, etc.) return back to normal within two days after the muscle is trained. Of course you can't do the same routine every day but just pick one exercise for chest and do that every 3-4 days.

Forged steel
01-16-07, 8:12 pm
It could be that you are not useing correct posture. Warm up and then do some chest flexing ,so that you get the muscle mind connection. our arms are merely hooks in wich to hold the bar. the pushing and the effort has to come from your chest.

Also, try flexing after each set. I get people in my gym who are having problems with getting their chest to do the work stand up and do the pressing motion and focus on pushing with there chest. Worked for them.

Peace-

Gainer65
01-16-07, 8:33 pm
I found that using dumbbells light my chest on fire.I do flat,incline,and flyes with them and rotate them in order.Dumbbells stretch the muscles better and you can go heavy without a spotter.Stay away from machines and cables.Stick with the basics.

WGPBallar
01-16-07, 8:51 pm
While watching one of Jay Culter's DVDs he says for chest when he works out he gets some of his best workouts for the chest while doing cable crosses. I like using cables myself because they can get you ripped and i feel a pretty good pump after doing bench. Also with the bench pressing try arching your back and making sure your chest is sticking out. I know this is a technique that alot of power lifters use, and people might be thinking it is bad. You need to go slow and control feel the pump and try to emphasis the workouts on the chest. My front delts always use to kick in when benching, but ever since i have been doing that i have been getting better pumps.

Nine Ball
01-16-07, 8:58 pm
You can't base the effectiveness of a workout by the pump. If that was the case everyone who be doing reps of 15-20 and constantly doing giant sets.

NASH
01-16-07, 9:42 pm
I think you should only focus on the basics. Benchpress, Dumbbell presses flat and incline. Dumbbell flyes flat and incline. And Pec-deck. Dont bother to do cable cross. Its a shaping exercise you should do befor a contest to get more detail, not when you try to gain size. Try to go as heavy as possible for 6-8 reps, but only 9 set a workout. Good luck!

I agree! Don't mess with all the extra crap, stick with the basics. Do heavy but keep the form with slow and controlled movements, and don't do too many excercises because you will overtrain. Only train your chest once a week, but when you do train chest make sure that it is intense. You will soon notice a change in size-you get what you put into it!

Nine Ball
01-16-07, 9:51 pm
Only train your chest once a week, but when you do train chest make sure that it is intense. You will soon notice a change in size-you get what you put into it!

There's absolutely no reason to only train each body part once per week. Once you throw in deloading/recovery weeks you are going to grow roughly 45 times per year. By training each body part once every 3-4 days you will grow roughly 80 times per year once you factor in recovery weeks. Sure, doing one or maybe two exercises may seem worthless to some but I gurantee you your strength and size gains will be much better once you incorperate frequency into you regime.

Jester
01-16-07, 9:57 pm
Well like I said before, I keep strict form but there are times when I could possibly go heavier and I dont... I mean I squeeze out extra reps so I give it everything I have but deep inside I know I can go higher. There is no problem achieving a fantastic pump and continuing to expand but the chest just wont freaking grow to save my life. I mean it has since I have been lifting awhile ago but everything has progressed and all my buddies say I can bench heavy but since it doesnt get bigger I can really fit out as well. I change weeks up to and try to keep my muscles guessing so I will try messin with the rep and set scheme a bit to see if that throws them off guard. For like a week I will mix it up like every couple of weeks between

Chest, Triceps and Forearms
Legs including Calves
Shoulders & Biceps
Back & Forearms
Rest
Then repeat

Then when I switch it up it will look like a 5 day routine instead of 4...
Chest & Forearms
Legs & Calves
Shoulders
Back
Arms including Forearms
Rest
then repeat..

Give me an idea if that is good or not because I put a lot of emphasis on different muscles making sure I hit the lagging ones first in the workout because I cant expect them to get any larger if I do them at the end of the workout (example Calves and on occasion Forearms). I cant do Forearms towards the beginning sometimes because then my grip is shot to hell when doing everything else but you get the point...

Nine Ball
01-16-07, 10:05 pm
I'm telling you buddy, incorperate frequency into your routine and you will never look back. You can work on all types of rep ranges and different techniques but frequency is what you need.

The Pope
01-25-07, 10:34 pm
hi guys, One side of my chest is deeper and thicker than the other...any ideas on how I can make one side 'catch up'?

satanonthebeech
01-26-07, 1:17 pm
I have roughly the same problems you all talk about. I'm 6'4" with long arms that grow like weeds but a chest that leaves something to be desired. For 2 years i've been trying to figure out just what i need to do in order to grow and in the past couple of months it's really starting to come together. First - really focus on the negative and bottom portion of the rep. Make sure you're feeling it in your chest with every rep. This means using heavy weight, but not so heavy that your delts and triceps take over. Second - Don't do too many or too few sets. I used to do upwards of 20 sets for chest, and then i did 4 for a while. Now I do roughly 8-12, all of which are high in intesity, and a couple i take to complete failure. Find your sweet spot in terms of number of sets. Third - Figure out which exercises work best for you. For me, I have realized that flat barbell doesn't work for me. No matter how i tweak my form, i never feel the exercise in my chest. Instead i do incline barbell and flat dumbell. My triceps don't take over on the incline, and i can get more of a stretch on the flat dumbell. Just a thought that might help. I hope that any of this helps anyone who's having trouble, but hey, every body is different and responds to different stimuli. Pope - to even out your chest try dumbells, that way one side can't compensate for the other.

Lift hard.

Suleiman
01-27-07, 4:52 pm
yes bench press is a chest work out but if you want those pecs you have to do things like dumbell bench press and chest flyes also keep in mind in between heavy sets flex your pecs because it forces blood that full of nutrients to that muscle hope you took your shake b4 the workout...also with the bench yes it works the pecs but thats how you get one pec bigger than the other b/c most guys have a more dorminant side when benching

200lb weakling
01-27-07, 5:16 pm
I think technique is important to keep emphasis on chest and less on delts.

Bob Cicherillo has talked about the need to keep the arch in your lower back while pressing to keep the emphasis on chest. I've also read Ronnie Coleman say he makes his chest "rise to meet the decending bar" when pressing. Another way of saying keep those shoulder blades back and pinched together as much as you can.

focused
01-27-07, 7:37 pm

look up the "Bench Like An Animal Pt II" article here on animalpak. focused on building a bigger chest, might help ya out

remixpaul
01-31-07, 3:06 pm
hey guys, just joined this forum yeserday and i think i kinda learned a few things from just click around haha but my main problem is my chest is lagging behind all my bodyparts, and i know alot of ppl have this same problem, cause when i bench i knoticedi get more pump in my front delts and tris, rather than my chest, and it sucks cause my chest doesnt grow, and it really bothers me, any advice or help or anythign would be nice, below is the routine i juststarted monday .. any comments on it would be nice too just i woujld do anythig for my chest to start growing ..

my routine:

monday - heavy push 3x5 (chest, tris, shoulders)
a. flat bench
b. incline bench
c. dips
d. skullcrushers
e. shoulder press

tuesday - heavy pull 3x5 (back, bis, traps)
a. deadlift
b. widegrip pulldowns
c. barbell row
d. chinups
e. barbell curls
f. shrugs

wednesday - legs 3x10-12
a1. squats
a2. leg curls
b1. hack squats
b2. lunges
c. leg press
c2. calf raises

thursday - light push 3x10-12 (chest, tris, shoulders)
a1. flat bench
b1. incline bench
b2. flies
c. dips to max reps
d. skullcrushers or close grip benchpress
e. pushdowns
f1. shoulderpress
f2. lateral rasie
g1. upright rows
g2. rear delt raise

friday - light pull 3x10-12 (back, bis, traps)
a1. widegrip pulldowns
a2. dumbell rows or v-bar pulldowns
b1. barbell rows
b2. pullovers or cable rows
c. chinups to max reps
d. barbell curls
e. dumbbell curls
f1. barbell shrugs
f2. dumbbell shrugs

karmazon
01-31-07, 3:26 pm
i knoticedi get more pump in my front delts and tris, rather than my chest

Check your form.

Other than that, there's no magic pill, just keep lifting and it will grow(that's what I did).

IronHouse
01-31-07, 3:59 pm
Thing that you get more delt and triceps in chest workout could be because you have stronger delts and triceps too. But go on strict form, use weight you can handle with that strict form. I have chest problems aswell, but do as people told me to do. Just keep hitting the weight and within time it will come.

-peace out-
IronHouse

LOFT
01-31-07, 4:04 pm
I had the same problem brother. Except in my eyes everything is lagging....so improvement in every muscle is necessary. But i noticed you are doing a lot of flat bench (i'm guessing w/the barbell). Old school bench is good....but Dumbbell bench much easier on your delts....and more stability muscles are used. ....more chest.....not shoulders. So switch to DB bench and hopefully you can see some results. Good luck.

vIShuS
01-31-07, 6:29 pm
Mabey you might want to switch your routine up. Usually you get the best pump is you use rep schemes of 8-12. And of course, your shoulders could be rolling forward with ur chest sinking in, causing your shoulders/triceps to do all the work. You want to work on the form of making sure your chest is doing most of the work and not your other small muscles. hope everything goes well with the chest.

-SiSu

Ironone
01-31-07, 7:01 pm
i would stop training chest with tris, your tris will get taxed and your chest workout will suffer. If your chest is a weak point I would give it its own day also when you bench make sure your elbows flare out to the side this will help take your tris out and if your delts are being worked i would stop the bar 2 or 3 inches from your chest, the deeper you bring the bar the more you use your delts hope this helps

BitterNdThenSome
01-31-07, 8:31 pm
switch from barbells to dumbbells or vice versa, start usin drop sets or rest pause. my chest was lagging for a while, so i just started focusing more on incline, my chest grew, and i havent touched flat bench for chest in about 8 months now (just hit incline and decline.)

slammedmind
01-31-07, 9:37 pm
the only advice i can offer on the subject is to
1)cut the flys
2) Dumbell incline + flat
3)4-5 sets of heavy with 8-failiure
4) make sure you involve your chest by squeezing it with each rep as if your showing it off or posing

When i first started i had a similar problem, my chest wouldnt grow. Since then it has, hope this helps.
thanks
Rob

remixpaul
01-31-07, 10:07 pm
thnx guys, i appreciate all the advice and helpfull hints .. but about what someone said above my repy .. why should i stop the bar 2-3 inches of my chest? wouildn i wanna gently touch my chest and push up? jw, and should i really cut away the flys/? are they that useless?

NickSP
01-31-07, 10:11 pm
Make sure your diet's good. Keep your shoulder blades squeezed together during the entire movement and your chest out. Make sure you have a fairly wide grip (somewhere around shoulder width, I like a little wider than that). Try only working it once a week, and don't work it with tris and shoulders (try working them only once a week as well) How many sets/reps? How long have you been on the same routine?

remixpaul
01-31-07, 11:09 pm
i just started this routine this monday, and the sets and reps are posted with my routine above

Ironone
01-31-07, 11:11 pm
stop the bar short of touching your chest so that you dont incorperate your delts in the first 2 to 4 inches of the push. this makes it so your chest does all the work. I had problems with my delts hurting when i benched or did dumbell presses when I stoped short of touching my chest the pain went away.

remixpaul
01-31-07, 11:56 pm
what about flies? are they worth doing, after any dumbbell press (flat or incline)? any of u animals done flies, and did u get any chest growth from them?

waugie14
02-01-07, 12:41 am
Hit chest by itself or work with another bodypart. Your tris and shoulders probably take over most of the work

Torque757
02-01-07, 1:27 am
Make sure you are doing this to ensure max chest involvement:

Lying on the bench, puff your chest out(which might cause a slight arching of the back, this is ok and probably desirable) keep your shoulders pulled BACK, and and squeeze your shoulderblades together throughout the movement. Even at the very top, keep your back squeezed and shoulders back as far as possible. Try this just sitting in your chai, you will notice ALOT more chest involvement... I hope this was clear enough, because done correctly you will really benefit from it...

remixpaul
02-01-07, 2:16 am
it was clear, but i dont get how i can pull my shoulders back? i dont understand that .. is there a pic or a video of how its done? thnx fellow animals [=

Torque757
02-01-07, 12:03 pm
it was clear, but i dont get how i can pull my shoulders back? i dont understand that .. is there a pic or a video of how its done? thnx fellow animals [=

Alright, sitting in your chair, arms in position as if about to do db press. Imitate sinking into the bottom of the movement, Focus on puffing your chest out and squeezing your back as if squeezing your shoulder blades together. As a result, your shoulders should be somewhat pulled back. Maintain that as much as possible throughout the whole movement.

slammedmind
02-01-07, 12:24 pm
steer clear of flies, they are a shaping excercise, concentrate on mass centered excercises instead, when youve built the muscle then do flies

Crusher
02-02-07, 1:05 am
hey bro i had the same problem you have. This is what I did.
Step:1 Get a big arch so the only thing touching is your butt and shoulders, and keep the chest up and high.
Step:2 Stop the bar about 2 in before you touch the chest. The reason for this is that you dont bring the delts into play.
Step:3 Keep constant tension on the chest. Think in your mine about squezing the chest to push the weight. Form is more important than weight.
This is what I started to do and my chest started to resond about 4 weeks later and know I feel everything in my chest. Good luck Bro

NickSP
02-02-07, 12:07 pm
Try switching your reps a bit, 5 is more for strength IMO, try stickin in the 8-12 rep range for a while. Just squeeze your shoulder blades together. Think of rear delt raises or BB rows at the top of the movement, except keep it like that throughout the entire set for your bench. And again, try working tris/chest once a week, and not on the same (or consecutive) days.

NickSP
02-02-07, 12:10 pm
and yes flyes, I've got some type of flye in my routine every single time, just like bench.

Angst
02-02-07, 12:46 pm
I have the same problem, what worked for me is heavy weight with forced reps. I also switch between flat/incline as the first exercise of my workout. Also try DB pullovers.

jlane22
02-24-07, 1:04 am
Hey guys,
I've been goin at this hard for a little over a year now and no matter what I do, different exercises, different weights, different reps, and my chest just wont respond. I can see slight increases in strength over a few weeks, 5 or 10 pounds here or there, but no difference in size, definintion.. anything.

any suggestions on how to break out of a 6 month chest rut??

focused
02-24-07, 1:29 am
http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=1629&highlight=lagging+chest

there you go bro, put in a search next time, looks like the same problem you are having? check out some of the responses on there, they may help.

peace

Arbalest
02-24-07, 1:33 am
http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=1629&highlight=lagging+chest

there you go bro, put in a search next time, looks like the same problem you are having? check out some of the responses on there, they may help.

peace

Times two!

Please use the search button before posting any question like that... you're pretty much guaranteed to find your answers..

if you don't, you are very welcome to post your question =)

thanks!

trevor

karmazon
02-24-07, 1:58 am
Bob Cicherillo said that in all of his career he hasn't met one pro that brought up a lagging body part by doing MORE.

MFALCH
02-24-07, 9:06 pm
Bob Cicherillo said that in all of his career he hasn't met one pro that brought up a lagging body part by doing MORE.

I read Arnold's book, and he would often do more sets for his lagging body parts.

vIShuS
02-25-07, 5:39 pm
I read Arnold's book, and he would often do more sets for his lagging body parts.

I agree with MFALCH. I watched 'pumping iron' and he said at the beggining of his career his calves were smaller than most calves and he did more sets more often to bring them up to date. He also said that any lagging body part needs more attention than the others.

-SiSu

karmazon
02-25-07, 5:59 pm
I agree with MFALCH. I watched 'pumping iron' and he said at the beggining of his career his calves were smaller than most calves and he did more sets more often to bring them up to date. He also said that any lagging body part needs more attention than the others.

-SiSu

For Arnold's calves it was just a matter of STARTING training them.

Freakshow
02-25-07, 6:03 pm

With all due respect to Bob, because he is a great bodybuilder, I think he is a big bag of wind. He likes to talk a little much for my taste. My shoulders, chest, and back were all lagging when I first started lifting, and I hit those harder and more frequently and wouldnt ya know, they grew more.

IntensityJT
02-25-07, 6:08 pm
hit your chest more often

Arbalest
02-25-07, 6:12 pm
Why hasn't someone asked the most important question yet?

Whats your diet like?

BIG45s
02-25-07, 7:00 pm
Hey guys,
I've been goin at this hard for a little over a year now and no matter what I do, different exercises, different weights, different reps, and my chest just wont respond. I can see slight increases in strength over a few weeks, 5 or 10 pounds here or there, but no difference in size, definintion.. anything.

any suggestions on how to break out of a 6 month chest rut?? To better assist you it would be helpful to know what you are doing in the way of working sets, the frequency of your chest workouts, the %s of your one rep max you are using, the angles you are using, and of course your diet.

Peace

BIG45s

Chief
03-06-07, 10:18 pm
Ok , I have solid upper and middle development but my lower width is grealy lagging, Eny suggestions on how I could bring this up.

NickSP
03-06-07, 10:23 pm
Eny suggestions on how I could bring this up.

The search button helps

Anoby
03-06-07, 10:52 pm
decline bench press

ChrisG
03-06-07, 10:57 pm
Yea I may be new but I've been doin some research because the biggest thing I want to develop is my chest and it seems like the best thing for it is exactly what Chief said. Decline benchpress...

BIG45s
03-06-07, 10:59 pm
Dips

TufffGuY
03-06-07, 11:03 pm
Dips

yes sir, weighted dips will help lower and outer pecs

Dunk
03-06-07, 11:19 pm
Dips, and the decline

mcbeast
03-06-07, 11:30 pm
id go with dips,decline there isnt a large range of motion..switch it up every few weeks,see what suits u best

BIG45s
03-06-07, 11:42 pm
id go with dips,decline there isnt a large range of motion.. I agree not a fan of decline for that very reason. I suppose you could go with a cambered bench bar but hell I can't remember the last time seeing one those.

mcbeast
03-06-07, 11:43 pm
and if your gna decline bench use dumbells,theres a little more motion involved i belive

BIG45s
03-06-07, 11:50 pm
and if your gna decline bench use dumbells,theres a little more motion involved i belive Yep but who in the hell wants to screw with getting into that position. Christ handling the dumbbells and getting into the correct position could kill someone especially when you are talking about handling weights that make a difference. I wouldn't start bothering with dumbbells on the decline until I could handle no less than 120 and of course that would be a royal pain in the ass. When worrying with lower/outer chest, I just stick with dips.

Mean Machine
03-06-07, 11:51 pm
The search button helps

Wow I just tried that search button thingy out and look what I found. Hahaha

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=3418

Barron
03-07-07, 12:00 am
When you do flys, turn you little finger in as you lift the weight. When the weight is at the top of the movement, your palms should be facing up toward your head, then as you lower the weights, rotate your hands so your palm is face up toward the ceiling.
It worked for me, hope is works for you.

NickSP
03-07-07, 12:08 am
Guys seriously, please learn to use the search function.

mcbeast
03-07-07, 11:42 am
trueness,i like decline fly's

but i use like 75-80, stil a pain in the ass tho. havent done em in a longgg time

ghost
03-07-07, 11:46 am
The search button helps

Wow I just tried that search button thingy out and look what I found. Hahaha

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=3418

Guys seriously, please learn to use the search function.

seriously. it cant be said enough.

Search....use the search button.

Aggression
04-28-07, 2:57 am
I have been searching for a chest routine to make my lagging chest catch up to the rest of my body. ive tried everything, even suggestions made by you guys. i was reading the may issue of muscular development and within the mag, theres a section of Q&A's, this section was directed to Charles Glass. Some dude asked about how he can make his chest grow bigger/thicker. Glass replied by suggesting this exercise: Place flat bench in a smith machine or inside a squat rack and place the safety bars so that they are just a little bit above the level of your chest. He then goes on to say to use a lighter weight, and lower the barbell down onto the safety bars and let it rest there for a second, and then power up the barbell in a slow controlled movement. his idea behind this is to take away the momentum of the bar coming down to your chest and then poppin back up, thus encouraging the use of fast-twitch muscle fibers.

basically you lower the bar to the safety bar, eliminate the momentum and begin your rep having the bar basically laying 1/2 an inch above your chest. I tried it this past week, and it felt great, and then i went on to doing my normal chest routine, which was incline dumbbell, hammer strength press, pullovers and dips.

what are the thoughts of you guys on this exercise? anyone ever done it before?

Jon
04-28-07, 12:53 pm
its just a normal bench press..dunno why you would let the barbell rest on the pins though....you can do that exercise without the cage

karmazon
04-28-07, 4:29 pm
its just a normal bench press..dunno why you would let the barbell rest on the pins though....you can do that exercise without the cage

Yeah, why not just eliminate the momentum yourself. That's what you should be doing from the beginning anyways.

SweatHog
04-28-07, 5:49 pm
Post your numbers might help folk see what you are doing and how they might suggest improvement.

Chest invloves a lot of other muscles as well. Military press and lateral pulldowns will both help your chest routine. Close grip benches will definately help your chest, thrash those tris!

Training frequency, number of sets and reps will all help us help you.

Only time I'd be benching in a cage is for heavy partials.

karmazon
04-28-07, 6:00 pm
Training frequency, number of sets and reps will all help us help you.

Not really. How do you know how his body responds to low volume? High volume? High reps? Heavy weight?

HAWK
04-28-07, 6:22 pm
Yeah bro, those partials are usually used to break through plateaus and sticking points, but nevertheless its decent. I like to bring the bar to my chest to get a good stretch of the pecs at the bottom, but the fact remains: IF IT WORKS FOR YOU, DO IT. Also, yeah you can do them yourself, by not bouncing the bar off your chest, and taking out the rebound energy...but in the cage it forces you to do it right, no matter how bad you want to cheat. I can respect it, whatever gets the job done.

SweatHog
04-28-07, 9:03 pm
Not really. How do you know how his body responds to low volume? High volume? High reps? Heavy weight?

I don't. But knowing how he trains is a starting point, at the moment we know chest is a weak point, and what he's been reading lately, and that's it. Met plenty lads in the gym years back not getting growth and they were repping x 15, x 20, or running every day, or training whole body three times a week...

The solution was obvious. Less frequency, more weight, and it worked.

From the workout I'd hoped we could then ascertain body type etc.

There's a hundred questions you could ask, you gotta start somewhere. All answers are frames of reference. Training is a large part of a training problem/stuck point, if it's not that I look at other factors.

born0withno0soul
04-28-07, 9:09 pm
yea i agree with you man. i had the same problem. i had a decent lifting routine but i was trying to run three miles everyday and was too dumb to figure out why i wasnt growing. if you want to get big and add mass you have to cut the cardio to a minimum

king1
04-28-07, 10:31 pm
Letting the bar rest on pins is totaly different then eliminating the momentum yourself. THats like saying you let the whole 225 lbs rest on your chest between each rep. LEtting the bar stop like that will make you really strong, but i thought that constant tension would make you grow more.

leafs43
04-28-07, 10:56 pm
Try this routine, but it is not for the faint of heart:

Incline press: 5 sets of 15-8 reps increasing the weight each set
Flat bench dumbell press: 4 sets of 10 of heavy weight
Cable crossovers: 4 sets of 12
Incline dumbell flyes: 4 sets of 12

then go to bench press and go as heavy as you can for 4 sets of 8

Trust me bench will be much much harder to do but you will really feel it. Honestly if you can do bench after all this and feel that its nothing my hat is off to you. My final set of incline is 225-245 (varies how much i pushed on the previous sets) for 8, its tough to get 1 rep up of 225 for bench at the end of this work out and my bench is way way stronger then my incline. If this doesn't give you growth i dont know what will

bigmack712004
06-15-07, 12:46 pm
I was just wondering (I know it's different for everyone) if anyone had any good chest mass workouts. My chest seems to be lagging big time compared to the rest of my body. Also, does anyone else have this problem?

bigmack712004
06-15-07, 12:51 pm
I forgot to tell you I am 21 yrs. old about 5'11" and have been lifting since I was 14, seriously with diet and everything for about a year or so now. I weigh approx. 237 pounds and am about 16-17 % bodyfat.

Space Cowboy
06-15-07, 12:58 pm
First off.....
http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=110&section=

Have a look, theres loads and loads of threads on great mass building routines for chest if you use the search function.

Spend a l'il while lookin around, if you cant find what your lookin for, post up your routines your hittin now, including sets/reps and we'll see how we can help bro.

EASI

bigmack712004
06-15-07, 1:10 pm
I used the search function but it was overbearing the number of threads that came up for chest mass. I think the search function could be refined a little and that might help or something. Who knows. But thanks thats not what I was looking for I know mass moves but was curious about a specific workout people have tried and it worked well. Where is that stuff at?

drizzt
06-15-07, 1:22 pm
i too have the problem, ive been using the 5x5 routine for a couple weeks now, it's working really well, give that a try and see if it works for you.

Kiwi129
06-15-07, 1:51 pm
You want to know my take on why EVERYONE has lagging chests? Improper pressing form. This may sound like a crock but listen... go to Bodybuilding.com and search for the "Getting Cut with Glass" videos (with the godfather of bodybuilding, Charles Glass). Watch the chest training video and learn.

Almost everyone I've ever seen pressing flares the shit out of their elbows. This puts the majority (yes probably even MORE than 50%...) of the load on the FRONT DELTS, you can feel it. Take his tip and keep your elbows in closer to 45 degrees, instead of out to 90 degrees, and you'll feel a turnaround your NEXT workout. Not kidding, I'm a witness. You might need to strip some weight off, but hey, do you want a bigger chest or to press more weight? Obviously the former if you posted this thread. Take the tip too that with dumbbells turn your hands out like that a little, puts even more of the load on the chest.

I encourage you to go try it right now. If you don't have weights at your house, go do a pushup with your arms out 90 degrees, then some with your elbows in 45 degrees... your chest will blow up. Good luck bro. Hope this doesn't sound like lunatic raving to you.

gflash77
06-15-07, 2:22 pm
I've noticed great things from Wrath's chest workout, I'm a big believer in the entire routines as well.

bigmack712004
06-15-07, 3:29 pm
Thanks to all of you who posted. KIWI that Charles Glass video was intriguing thank you very much. I will have to focus on my form better next time.

the-craig
06-16-07, 7:11 am
that thing about charles glass is right i saw that video and i tried it and kills you, when your on about routines mines gaind me alot of mass on my chest and fast its goes lyk this and its all 8-10 reps

flat barbell 3sets
flat dumbbell 1set
incline dumbbell presses 3sets
incline flyes 3sets
dips 2sets (2nd set to failure)

MetalAsh12
06-16-07, 8:31 am
Once I started using the flat dumbbell chest press (go heavy), my chest blew up. I like it a lot better than bench as well, but it's no substitute.

OsoBlanco
02-01-08, 6:03 pm
Sup Guys,
I tried doing a search before posting, but it didn't work for me. Anyway, my problem is that no matter what I do, I can not build up my chest. The rest of my body responds great to my training, just not my chest. And I have tried just about everything. Any tips or suggestions on what I can try to build more chest mass would be awesome. thanks in advance.

Oso

SDR
02-01-08, 6:14 pm
Whats your chest routine ? diet like/stats/saying?

IF your bench press/DB press technique is good, theres a possibility your tri's give out before your chest does, meaning your chest doesnt get a FULL workout, thats where pre-exhaustion techniques come in...so you'd do 3/4 sets of DB Flyes, and then you would start pressing..

Try that out, see how you get on.

intoodeep25
02-01-08, 6:18 pm
first of all, may not sound important, but stop saying you cant and start knowing that you can. obviously if your current routine isnt working its time to change. heres what worked best for my chest, maybe itll do the trick for yours. 5 sets Incline dumbell press, 4 sets flat dumbell press, 5 sets incline barbell press, 3 sets flat dumbell flyes..i then finish off with an unorthodox move i call the plate press..i take a 45 and 35, put a chain with a clip on the end through both holes so they are attached closely, and press those on an incline bench, changing the angle of incline with each set...surprisingly these trash my chest, so i do em last..hope that helps man, you can do it

Torque757
02-01-08, 7:04 pm
You may be a delt presser, most peaple are when they start out.
Try this while your sitting in your chair, you will do the exact same when you bench:

Arch your back, puff your chest out, and pull your shoulders back, by squeezing your back. Keep those shoulders pulled back and back tight all the way to the top part of the rep, squeeze those pecs. You should feel this alot more on your chest.

Tron
02-01-08, 9:12 pm
There's no way to address a problem if you don't know what's the real issue. Definitely need more information before anybody can truly help on this matter.

joe-yamma
02-01-08, 9:31 pm
agreed, but some general advice might help.
mind-muscle connection is a very big part of training...
are you truly focusing using on your pecs to the fullest on EVERY rep?
just going thru the motions will not work.

have you read the post about "Beyond Failure Training"?
do you think your arms (delts and tris) are over-powering your chest on presses?
perhaps the principal of pre-exhausting the pecs with an isolation move would be helpful?

Tron does have a good point... you didn't give us much info to work with.
We don't know how old you are and how long you have been training...
perhaps you just don' have the strength/foundation to see the chest development that you want yet?

none of this is meant offfend you in any way, just stating possibilities.

Dozer
02-01-08, 11:09 pm
I agree that your tri's could be failing--maybe try only going 2/3 of the way up on chest movements and really getting a good stretch--this'll take out a lot of tri involvement and hammer your chest hard. Also, I'd mix in heavy BB work and some good DB work for stretching the muscle out--hit it with a variety of movements, eat like a beast, get plenty of sleep, and it'll grow.

ronald1919
02-01-08, 11:22 pm
need more info, what moves do you do, how many sets, whats your split..ect.

My advice is not to focus on the bench press too much, use DBs from different angles, inclines and flat DB presses. I always had a better chest pump using DBs.

Chin
02-01-08, 11:54 pm
need more info, what moves do you do, how many sets, whats your split..ect.

My advice is not to focus on the bench press too much, use DBs from different angles, inclines and flat DB presses. I always had a better chest pump using DBs.

Whats your chest routine ? diet like/stats/saying?

IF your bench press/DB press technique is good, theres a possibility your tri's give out before your chest does, meaning your chest doesnt get a FULL workout, thats where pre-exhaustion techniques come in...so you'd do 3/4 sets of DB Flyes, and then you would start pressing..

Try that out, see how you get on.

Gotta wait for these things...

Chin

ironshaolin
02-02-08, 7:02 am
sometimes, higher volume isn't the answer. If you're a once a week kinda guy, pick like 3 or4 of the best excersises, and just try to blast them into the ground. Keep the isolation very, very low. I suggest heavy incline barbell, hammer strength flat bench dropsets, then maybe a pec dec flye.
STRETCH! After you're done with your workout, grab a pair of dumbells you can rep from maybe 8 reps, put your feet up on a bench and drop into the bottom of a flye, and hold it there for a minute. Do that, and tell me your chest dosen't look differnt after 6 weeks.
TRICEPS
work tri moves that will hit your chest as well. Dips, close grip benches, and reverse grip smith benches.

Polish Prince
02-02-08, 10:42 am
if you think your tricepts and delts are coming too much into play then warm up with a set of push/pull downs or something to help tire your triceps out and that way you go to bench you are forced to use your chest.

also if you have looked at other threads on here you know that incline bench is where you gain most of your mass.

last thought, have you tried changing your grip up? maybe you should try doing wider...

Indomitable Will
02-02-08, 11:04 am
last thought, have you tried changing your grip up? maybe you should try doing wider...

That helped me about four years ago. I started doing bench presses with a wider grip and my chest finally started to get bigger and stronger.

Guinto101
02-10-08, 12:12 pm
Here's my routine:
Incline bench 4x8-10
Flat Bench 4x8-10
Incline Flies 3x10-12
Dips 3xMax

im 17 weeks out of a show, and everything is looking good, i know i have some time, so im askin for help now while i still have time to make changes.
thanks alot.

-Allan

callum1690
02-10-08, 12:16 pm
seems like a good solid routine.
maybe you should try some different techniques like drop sets or slow negatives.
other than that i could only suggest changing an exercise or two and seeing if that changes anything.

all the best
Callum

MassMonster
02-10-08, 12:19 pm
demon drops..... plus burnouts.... finish off wit a til failure cable crossover

mustgetbig
02-10-08, 12:21 pm
the pec deck always hits my chest great along with dumbell pullovers

sanga
02-10-08, 1:48 pm
Pre-exhaust the chest with the flies then hit inclines then bench and dips, use drop sets on the inclines and bench.

Guinto101
02-10-08, 7:12 pm
thanks guys ima give it a shot. tomorrow is chest day for me.

Torque757
02-10-08, 9:27 pm
Increase the amount of weight you can do for those reps on your first excersise.

Deadlift
02-11-08, 12:54 am
Increase the poundage, Change the style rep scheme being 5x5, 12/10/8/6, Negatives like were mentioned, Both dumbbell and barbell work. Make sure you're getting those calories and rest in as always. Trial and error my brother. Wish the best of luck to you.

Tiny
02-11-08, 7:44 am
While 17 weeks sounds like a lot of time - it isn't. Unless you are part of the elite, I do not see a whole lot of new muscle growth in this short period - why? Because, the precontest regimen (as most folks do it) dosen't provide a really good opportunity for this. Maybe your chest isn't as "weak" as you fear - a lot of guys have parts that don't really come in 'til they are fairly leaned out. I know plenty of guys with "weak" looking outer pecs, for example, but when they slice it up, their chests come in nice and complete. So maybe you are worrying over nothing. I just feel that if you really haven't aqcuired the mass you desire in that area yet, this last 17 weeks isn't going to bring a whole new spurt of uncanny development. Sure, do your best, but as you have already committed to compete, try to relax and focus on bringing the best of what you possibly can with what you've got. The, on competition day, no worries because all your work is done and this then is the easy and enjoyable part. Once on that stage, relax, make a connection with the crowd - they will see it if you are stressed out - smile and have fun with it, play to the audience. At that point, it is in the hands of others to judge and opine as to which physique they prefer - it may be capricious and almost arbitrary, and it is a subjective sport, so allow yourself to feel good about you and have a great experience.

DetroitMuscle
02-11-08, 11:55 am
I have to agree that when I do a little pre-exaughstion with flys before I hit the bench I get a lot better pump than if I dont.

Try that out and see if it helps some.

SolidTongan
02-11-08, 2:03 pm
I have to agree that when I do a little pre-exaughstion with flys before I hit the bench I get a lot better pump than if I dont.

Try that out and see if it helps some.

Yeah, Pre-exhaust is a great way to switch things up!

Guinto101
02-13-08, 5:54 am
i did the pre exhaust that helped alot, and i increased the poundage and did 5x5, appreciate it. i got a good pump.

ADURO
02-13-08, 1:58 pm
What are demon drops suggested earlier? When I change up chest routines sometimes I go in reverse like was mentioned earlier and do flyes first to make sure my pecs are pre-exhausted before I hit the bench

Legacy
06-04-08, 5:34 pm
My chest has been lagging behind the rest of my muscle groups. I have been switching up between barbells and dumbbells and havent really gotten much growth. Does anyone have any routines that will help me build a bigger, fuller chest? Or any workouts that would be a good chest shocker?

mde42k
06-04-08, 5:40 pm
Just changed up the routine this week, super setted incline barbell with incline flies and barbell bench with flat flies. Then dips supersetted with cables. Was done quick but man I am sore.

BrotherInArms
06-05-08, 12:50 pm
It's been stated before but the way your chest looks has more to do with your genetics than it does hard work. Of course, you can work hard top try to combat that but you are -unless you use outside help- a victim of your genetics.

While my chest isn't the most pronounced muscle I possess, I find that a good way of keeping my chest hard is to do pushups with every chance you get. Pushups have really lent me a helping hand in the fight for a good chest.

Camdog
06-05-08, 3:20 pm
what i did to bring up my chest was......its kinda a weird one but i loved it, just hit the basic 4. start with incline barbell, then flat barbell, then incline dumbbell, then flat dumbbell. worked wonders for me. you can use any rep range pretty much. i liked low reps high sets on barbell and low sets higher reps on dumbbell but its your choice.

camp
06-18-08, 10:07 am
could use some advice. when doing your chest wats the best way to increase your chest? what exercises should i incorporate in every workout? is it better to do incline overall

also for traps which the best way to make them widerr? ive been doing db shrugs and front barbs shrugs

ironshaolin
06-18-08, 10:16 am
WHats up bro, I see you're new to the forum, welcome. Just for future reference, before starting a thread, use the search function, questions on chest development are quite abundant here. Although to answer your question, any heavy compound move works. I believe flat, incline, decline with a barbell, dumbells, hammer strength or smith machine will all work. The thing to remember is PROGRESS. Get your numbers up, with GOOD form and proper technique, when you can bench 90lbs more than you can now, I guarantee your chest is bigger. It all works, it just dosen't all work all the time. You might get great results from incline barbells for 6 months straight. Eventually, EVERY excersise will stall, and then its time to switch. The goal should always be constant progress.

P-Ram
06-18-08, 10:42 am
I believe the formula is flat bench will widen your chest and Incline movements will give you a "shelf like chest".

Brutus_515
06-18-08, 11:04 am
could use some advice. when doing your chest wats the best way to increase your chest? what exercises should i incorporate in every workout? is it better to do incline overall

also for traps which the best way to make them widerr? ive been doing db shrugs and front barbs shrugs

chest you need alot of heavy pressin movements...the basics flat, incline, some flys...I just recently started doing flat bench with a closer grip to fill it out better...not as close as close grip bench for tris but not wider than shoulder width

traps can be hit from alot of differnet angles...with shurgs, front of behind the back..upright rows...I just started doing on arm cable shurgs with a D-handle it is a diffent movement so I am sore for a few days after doing them...lay flat on a incline bench and shrug the shit out of some moderatley heavy dbs....face pulls work the Rhombis area as well that will help "widen" the area out and give your upper back a more developed look.

joe-yamma
06-18-08, 11:23 am
for a good chest workout (emphasizing upepr chest) read this article by G Diesel:
http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?section=training&ID=230

i agree with shaf on the trap work... lots of good variations there.

also, check out The House's myspace to see him shrug...
he does it all... front shrug, behind-the-back shrug, wide grip, narrow grip, regular grip...
try supersetting these, 20 reps each like a giant set or whatever.
your traps will be screaming today and sore tomorrow.

camp
06-18-08, 12:11 pm
im gonna give that a try my next trap day looks like theyll be shot

one more question for yahs, how long should i keep a workout schedule for cause ive heard after awhile you plateu but i was thinkin if u keep the same and vary exercises/reps youll be fine

lemme know wat you think

Maccabee
06-18-08, 12:32 pm
Dont forget to also stretch the chest out right after the workout. Achieve the pump and then stretch it out well. There are various stretches out there for the chest but my favorite is the DC Chest stretch. Give it a try.

Brutus_515
06-18-08, 12:32 pm
im gonna give that a try my next trap day looks like theyll be shot

one more question for yahs, how long should i keep a workout schedule for cause ive heard after awhile you plateu but i was thinkin if u keep the same and vary exercises/reps youll be fine

lemme know wat you think

Keep it if it works... I like to train instinctively...but as a change i will try to switch things up every 6 weeks...high reps low weight, low reps high weight, 1 minute rest, no rest....the smallest change will help you out

but i stick to the 6 week rule...after that i get bored and my focus goes to shit

lespaul59
06-26-08, 12:56 am
I plateau on chest worse than any other body part and it always happens when I get up to around 190lbs on flat bench. And I've been stuck here for a good month so last Monday on chest day I was finaly like I'm going up in wieght even if I only get 4-5 reps on my last set. I think I did 5 good reps and one rep with help and another rep where the bar was being pulled off of me as much as I was pushing. So maybe my weight will start going back up now.

InkdMuscle
06-26-08, 3:03 pm
this should help - http://thefitshow.com/week3/milos_chest_med.htm

Great reply. That was an awesome clip of the chest. and since today is chest today for me. I learned so many new things form that 20min video i get to try to switch things up.

InkdMuscle
06-26-08, 11:00 pm
Ok I thougt I would update on my previous post. I just got back from my chest day. I focused on the form from the video clip i watched. Man what a big freggin difference. I only used half the weight and my chest was pumped and spent beyond belief. I still went as heavy as i could up to 295 bench. When I reached that point it was an act of god for me to complete my 6 reps. bu ti did it and an hour later my chest is still pumped.

Woolsey
11-03-08, 3:43 pm
My chest sessions are so shit! i can work up no intensity even though i do ma best to bust my ass. all my other sessions leave me fucked up n i feel as if iv done something. Anyone else having the same problem? I want someone to give me a pure hardcore chest workout that will make me empty my stomach! Not just for me but for everyone reading this to use. Any ideas? I want it to feel like leg day not chest!

cesmeister
11-03-08, 3:55 pm
watch animal chest and then do whatever he does in that

haha but really i say get a good spotter and pound your chest on flat and incline. Make sure you get some good forced reps at the end of your heavy sets. Then go in with some flys or cable xovers to finish your chest off. Maybe you're also underestimating how much weight you can actually do. Put the pedal to the metal brother and go all out. Lift big to get big

Good luck bro

Woolsey
11-03-08, 4:00 pm
Cheers Iv actually been considerin gettin a spotter. There arent alot of people to choose from though, im the only one i know of in my area that takes the weights deadly serious. Il get one though. Thanks again

Steelman69
11-03-08, 4:25 pm
[QUOTE=Woolsey;550537]My chest sessions are so shit! i can work up no intensity even though i do ma best to bust my ass. all my other sessions leave me fucked up n i feel as if iv done something. Anyone else having the same problem? I want someone to give me a pure hardcore chest workout that will make me empty my stomach! Not just for me but for everyone reading this to use. Any ideas? I want it to feel like leg day not chest![/QUOTE

How does your chest session go right now? Start to finish what do you do?

Aggression
11-03-08, 4:25 pm
Just ask the dude in the gym who seems to know the most about this lifting business. I usually ask one of my legit friends for a spot (who knows what they're doing, i can vouch) or I ask the bodybuilder at my gym.

Just don't go after the biggest guy and assume he knows what he's doing, I've made that mistake before.

Feel The Power
11-03-08, 4:26 pm
Ox has a badass workout too with alot of supersets..

http://www.musculardevelopment.pl/content/view/545/71/
http://www.musculardevelopment.pl/content/view/557/71/
http://www.musculardevelopment.pl/content/view/563/71/

vinzy17
11-03-08, 8:21 pm
I have the same problem. After reading the posts here i'm reconsidering my sets/reps and intensity

wordsstartwars
02-07-09, 10:02 pm
I've made alot of progress with the way I look but I feel like I've hit a plateau with getting my chest the way I want it to look. Any ideas on some new stuff to throw into my workout?

Altered Beast
09-10-09, 4:49 pm
To all,

My bench press has always been very weak compared to my dead lift and squat. My dead lift and squat are getting closer to 500 and 600. But my bench is hanging around 340.

I need all the help I can get, and greatly appreciate anything from experienced powerlifters.

C.Coronato
09-10-09, 5:19 pm
Whats your chest workout right now?

Altered Beast
09-10-09, 5:28 pm
Flat barbell - 145 x 15, 185 x 11, 225 x 8 or 9, 275 x 5, 300 x 2 or 3
Incline barbell - 185 x 10 or 11, 205 x 8, 225 x 6
Flat barbell - 185 x to failure
Dumbell flyes - 45 x 15, 50 x 13, 55 x 11
Dips - 3 sets to failure

This is a new chest routine for me. I switched back to barbell from dumbell flat/incline hoping to build some new muscle. It helped, but not like I was hoping.

Altered Beast
09-10-09, 6:28 pm
You got nothin? Thanks.

Anyone out there know anything about increasing bench press strength?

Ah well, I'll find out on my own as usual.

t_mh
09-10-09, 6:34 pm
You only posted that two hours ago. Chill out, man. If you're that rushed for an answer, you could search it. I'm sure this question's only been asked about 1000 times.