PDA

View Full Version : Sleep & Training

EastonH
01-16-07, 10:00 am
Ive heard a lot of bull about you should have enough sleep, othervice your muscles wont grow and testerone levels will drop..jadajada.

What is the truth? Arent our bodies supposed to adapt, so if i only sleep 6h a night would it actually make a difference in growth if id started sleeping 9h a night. advice me, brothers!

Jonny Steel
01-16-07, 10:04 am
From what I understand, our bodies only produce Growth Hormone during deep rest. Thus- Less sleep = less deep rest = less GH.

I think its a pretty common problem we all have though. I can't remember a weeknight that I got more than 7 hours of sleep.

HAWK
01-16-07, 10:05 am
If your body is used to the 6 hours of sleep a night, and you have still been making gains, I'd say it wouldn't matter. Your body will adapt, and as long as you are eating enough calories and nutrients to support muscle growth and repair, the 6 hours should suffice. If you all of a sudden bumped it up to 9 hours a night, i think you might actually feel more tired for a week or two, and it might creep into the gym with you. This is just from my own experience, and what I have found to work right for my body. Good luck man.

Be Relentless.

HAWK
01-16-07, 10:06 am
Also, I try to squeeze a quick nap in each day, instead of getting that 9 hours a night. It recharges me instead of depleting me, which is the feeling i get after sleeping too long at night.

Jon
01-16-07, 10:11 am
Ive heard a lot of bull about you should have enough sleep, othervice your muscles wont grow and testerone levels will drop..jadajada.

What is the truth? Arent our bodies supposed to adapt, so if i only sleep 6h a night would it actually make a difference in growth if id started sleeping 9h a night. advice me, brothers!

It's 8-10h...and like hawk said, if ur still getting good gains i wouldnt bother changing my sleep routine

EastonH
01-16-07, 10:53 am
Exactly what i was thinking, cheers for ansvering!

Malice
01-16-07, 12:31 pm
what about if you have trouble gettin even 6 hours. like i can possibly get 6 hours sleep buti hardly get in to the deep sleep phase. Like ill keep wakin up every 30 mins/1 hour. Is there any thing that you guys have tryed to help ya with sleep. Ive tryed melatonan(sp), valerian root(sp) and doesnt really give me deep sleep, it just makes me a little tired after about 45-60 mins after takin it. and then it takes me like an hour to fall asleep.

Axe
01-16-07, 5:48 pm
How many hours do you get?

I aim for 9. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but hey, consistency is where it's at. And I think more is always better, due to cell regeneration and the benefits of REM sleep.

Do you feel it when you get more or less?

Let's hear it!

BrokenShell
01-16-07, 5:58 pm
I definately feel it man. If I don't get at least 8 hours I'm pretty much useless for the day. But it also goes the other way, if I sleep too much I feel like shit. 9 hours is probably my sweet spot. My mom says I'm just lazy, lol.

I sleep usually 8-10 hours a day, waking up to times to eat. I love to sleep bro, it’s the best stuff to regenerate, if I sleep less the 8 hours I feel so much tired.

BeastofBurden
01-16-07, 6:19 pm
U know I tried going to bed last night(this has been going on for over a week btw) where I try to go to bed at a decent hour like 10:30 .. and I just lay there still thinking about my workout of the day and how crazy it was, and what i'm doin for tomorrows workout. I just can't win, so i end up layin there in bed until 12:30 and get a shitty night of sleep but yet i'm not really tired in the morniing anyway.

BrokenShell
01-16-07, 6:34 pm
As long as you're not tired durring the day and you're recovering enough I wouldn't worry about it. If you really need to get to sleep though, try taking Melatonin. They're OTC, no side effects, non-addictive. I work shift work so when I've got to get my sleep patterns right for night shifts I pop one of those and I'll be out in 1/2 an hour, and I don't feel like shit when I wake up.

BeastofBurden
01-16-07, 6:45 pm
where would one find this? lol would it be okay for a 17-18 year old to be taking this?

NeverContent
01-16-07, 8:47 pm
i need 9 hours

BrokenShell
01-17-07, 1:31 am
where would one find this? lol would it be okay for a 17-18 year old to be taking this?

Where I live it's over the counter at any drug store or Wall Mart. I'm no doctor but I can't see why it wouldn't be ok for you to take. Melatonin is produced naturally by your body when light levels start to drop, thats why you get tired when it's dark. Talk to your doctor to be sure cuz you never know if you have any weird condition that might make it harmfull.

Stay strong,
Chris

abwowang
01-17-07, 1:39 am
I get at least 6 hours a night. I need 8...

Sleep is so important for growth...

Greg_G
01-17-07, 5:27 am
i average 5-7

Arbalest
01-17-07, 9:17 am
Heck, i hardly get 5. During the week i'm soo busy, and i have to hit the gym. So sleep is on the backburner unfortunately. But come friday night i stay home and pass out. I usually sleep 12-15 hours into saturday. lol

Axe
01-17-07, 10:24 am
5?!?

Dude, sleep is SOOO important to getting huge, don't put it on the back burner! Ya gotta lift, ya gotta eat and ya gotta sleep! Everything else is secondary!

Dunk
01-17-07, 10:58 am
Heck, i hardly get 5. During the week i'm soo busy, and i have to hit the gym. So sleep is on the backburner unfortunately. But come friday night i stay home and pass out. I usually sleep 12-15 hours into saturday. lol

Dude is there a way you could adjust your schedule so you're getting more?!?! 5's not a whole lot, you have to remember that your body is growing while it's resting.

I try to shoot for 9

EastonH
01-17-07, 11:28 am
what about if you have trouble gettin even 6 hours. like i can possibly get 6 hours sleep buti hardly get in to the deep sleep phase. Like ill keep wakin up every 30 mins/1 hour. Is there any thing that you guys have tryed to help ya with sleep. Ive tryed melatonan(sp), valerian root(sp) and doesnt really give me deep sleep, it just makes me a little tired after about 45-60 mins after takin it. and then it takes me like an hour to fall asleep.

If you sleep during day, after work, after school.. Then stop doing it, for me i feel really tired when i finally get home but i force my self to fucking stay awake othervice i would be having troubles sleeping at night.

Some people can sleep during day and they dont have any troubles sleeping at night, but im not one of them.

Arbalest
01-17-07, 10:25 pm
5?!?

Dude, sleep is SOOO important to getting huge, don't put it on the back burner! Ya gotta lift, ya gotta eat and ya gotta sleep! Everything else is secondary!

Dude is there a way you could adjust your schedule so you're getting more?!?! 5's not a whole lot, you have to remember that your body is growing while it's resting.

I try to shoot for 9

No, unfortunately i can't. I work and then goto school. I work long shifts, and i have lots of school and homework, and then i have the gym. I bust my workouts out as fast and hard as possible, but then i have to go home and hit the books.

sucks, but its college, and i don't believe in being mediocre in anything... including school which i hate :-(

my work schedule is the best it can be. Gives me time for homework.. if i worked after school until nighttime i wouldn't be able to do homework OR goto the gym.

pdiesel
01-17-07, 11:54 pm
need at least 8..and this doesnt mean goin to bed at 2AM and sleeping till 10..thats meaningless..plus i try to get in a nap in the day..

pdiesel
01-17-07, 11:55 pm
5 hours LMAOOO why even bother lifting?

Bombboy
01-18-07, 12:04 am
Sleep, I wish being in Irq the diet is easier, the gyms are well equiped but they dont fucking let you sleep. How are we to get big with no damn sleep. Keep your heads.

BB

Scans
01-18-07, 12:30 am
between 8 and 9...more than 9 i feel awful for about 4 hours after i wake up.

Arbalest
01-18-07, 12:50 am
5 hours LMAOOO why even bother lifting?

The fact that you asked a question like that proves you shouldn't be in this game, and that you're a dumbass.

Thank you ;)

peterpyper
01-18-07, 1:04 am
since i got laid off from work i take as much and rest as i can,before my work sceducle was hectic,wake up at 10 am hit the gym,come back at 11:30-12..eat and than leave for work at 1,work starts at 3:30pm till 12am..come back home sleep at 2o clock than day start all over agian lol

Malice
01-18-07, 9:07 am
If you sleep during day, after work, after school.. Then stop doing it, for me i feel really tired when i finally get home but i force my self to fucking stay awake othervice i would be having troubles sleeping at night.

Some people can sleep during day and they dont have any troubles sleeping at night, but im not one of them.

nope i dont sleep during the day. just cant fall asleep at night whatso ever

Freak
01-18-07, 10:37 am
Sleep is critical, but often overlooked bro. It's easy to focus on the training cuz shit, lifting feels so fucking sweet. But lifting tears you down... Rest, sleep, recuperation--this is t he shit that builds you up.

Arbalest
01-18-07, 11:37 am
I only get on average 5 hours of sleep a night. I'm always getting stronger.

I'm not saying sleep is overrated, because it is critical that you get rest. Some of us just can't get that kind of sleep due to other things going on in our lives that make it impossible.

I can't really tell you if 9 hours is better than 6, because i do think the body adapts. I used to be DEAD on less than 8-10hours of sleep. Now 5 is more than enough, and like i said, i get stronger all the time.

I advise that if you do have a day where you can sleep, just sleep! Take it easy and just rest the body.

Maccabee
01-18-07, 11:45 am
I heard that from 10pm-2am only during deep sleep hours your body releases alot of hormones to help heal the body, so everynight i go to sleep at 930pm then by the time its 10 I am out cold. Try it out see what happens.

Flash419
01-18-07, 11:46 am
Try taking ZMA about a half hour before going to bed.

Been taking it pretty regularly for about a year. Seems like I sleep much deeper when I get to sleep, and don't wake up during the night. Since growth hormone is released when your in that deep sleep, it seems to be doing what its supposed to. Either way I feel more rested taking it.

Another plus is that as supplements go, it is one of the cheaper ones. About $10 a month online. I'm using Optimum Nutrtions ZMA, get 2 month supply from www.dpsnutrition.com for about $20. Take 3 caps about 30 minutes before going to bed.

Good luck.

karmazon
01-18-07, 2:00 pm
Remember that your muscles grow in bed not in the gym.

showtime05
01-18-07, 10:22 pm
I sleep 8 - 10 hours a night. After a high intensity workout, I'm usually sore for 48-72 hours. If I'm short of my normal sleep range, it sometimes takes even longer before full recovery.

Tego1090
01-19-07, 1:35 am
Many "youngsters" fail to grow because they feel to get enough proper rest. If you're training seriously, get body on a regular rest schedule. You may be able to perform well at 6 hours, but best believe that those 6 hours need to be regulated and high quality.

violator
01-19-07, 3:08 am
Yup, sad but true, the more sleep the better, but it varies from cat2cat, depends what ur habits have been like. look at machine, the man sleeps minimal, but is still an animal!
still try taking a short 30-40min powernap b4 training, it works FOR ME(maybe not 4u), sleep longer than that & ull feel 2 grogy 2 workout.
Ive noticed a significant difference in intensity on days ive napped, as compared 2 not.

"6"
01-20-07, 11:21 am
As long as you're not tired durring the day and you're recovering enough I wouldn't worry about it. If you really need to get to sleep though, try taking Melatonin. They're OTC, no side effects, non-addictive. I work shift work so when I've got to get my sleep patterns right for night shifts I pop one of those and I'll be out in 1/2 an hour, and I don't feel like shit when I wake up.

Sounds like the stuff I need to get my internal clock back in order. Are they different dosages of the stuff? How much do you take?

GoldieLocks
01-20-07, 1:30 pm
My body doesn't wake up unless I have 7 1/2 hours minimum.....add another hour closer to my shows....

BrokenShell
01-21-07, 11:34 am
Sounds like the stuff I need to get my internal clock back in order. Are they different dosages of the stuff? How much do you take?

I dont know if there's different dosages, probably. The ones I take are 50mg I think, they're really tiny pills. I only take one and I'm usually out in about 1/2 hour. You can probably get your sleep patterns back in order without it though. Try to not do much of anything for about an hour before you go to bed, make sure your room is as pitch black as possible, dont watch TV in your room right before trying to fall asleep, etc. If I catch myself staying up too late I'll just go to bed 1/2 hour before I usually would for two days, then 1/2 hour earlier than that for 2 days, etc. That usually works for me. I just use the Melatonin when I need to completely change my sleep patterns from working days to nights.

christhemuss
01-21-07, 12:58 pm
What works for me is ZMA. Take it 30-60 min before bed.And it's great for recovery..

McKnife
01-21-07, 12:58 pm
usually I sleep between 7 to 9 hours, preferably 8.

If ever your lying in your bed and can't sleep, try counting reps, I count from 1 to 12 and start again and again thinking about a heavy set of bb curl or bench press and it work every times.. wonder if I'm the only one to do that...

christhemuss
01-21-07, 1:00 pm
he he..The way of the Bodybuilder.. HARDCORE BROTHER!

karthik
01-21-07, 6:47 pm
I know this may sound crazy, but it works for me. Maybe there is a little military influence to this method. I have read some old articles written by Doug Hepburn(one of the greatest strongmen of all time), and he said that if he had a choice he would sacrifice sleep for good food to fuel his workouts. I have tried this method, i.e. only 5-7 hours of sleep a night, and had a higher caloric content diet to make up for the loss of sleep and it had done wonders for my mass gains.

Beefondemand
01-23-07, 1:13 am
What's up hardcore bros.

Let's say you didn't get enough sleep last night (like no sleep at all or just 2-3 hours), would you workout in the gym anyways the next day regardless of the constant drowsiness and fatigue you experience?

Thanks for the feedback!

bobbyj654
01-23-07, 1:38 am
i'll prolly hinder your focus, you'd be a little weaker, you wouldnt have had the chance to grow the previous night

now you know why everyone says to sleep 8 hrs, not doing so will lead to bad gym days or even missing which leads to nowhere

Maestro
01-23-07, 2:18 am
I do not go to the gym if I'm draggin the next day due to lack of sleep. So if I dont get at least 6 hours u wont see me there. Id rather save my energy, eat right, and hit the gym harder the next day.

Strongarm
01-23-07, 2:52 am
Training when fatigued is a bad idea. IGF levels peak during the first hour of DEEP sleep, and with the amounts of sleep you named..not happenin'. Your body didn't get a chance to repair from the day before, and it's not prepared in any way for the day ahead. It'd do more harm than good. That's a good step towards overtraining.

Remember, growth happens outside the gym. No point in tearing it down twice in a row without giving it a chance to build back up.

RoJoHen
01-23-07, 4:03 am
If you absolutely want to workout, it's best to do some lightweight stuff or some cardio. If nothing else, your body won't see it coming.

doomsdaylover
01-23-07, 11:33 am
I always do, because if I don't go in the morning - I just don't go. But I slept 2 hours on sunday and come chest day monday, my bench dropped significantly. I flet like hell.

xman
01-23-07, 2:37 pm
i wouldnt even show my face there if i have no sleep. you wanna grow ....THen lift , eat , sleep, lift eat sleep ... to grow more.

Hollywood
01-23-07, 2:41 pm
If you really want to lift a day after minimal sleep, try taking a nap (if you have time) right before going in.

Toni69
01-23-07, 2:47 pm
I train until my body tells me..hey, take a rest...just listen to your body, it will tell you when it has had enough. I do take a period every 3-4 months where I take a week off to rest...it kills me to do it, but its necessary. Upon rest, you will grow.

I usually go 5 days on, 2 off and on one of those off days, I still do cardio. My friends call me the energizer bunny...I just keep goin'.

ldskenpo
01-23-07, 2:54 pm
I have had to change my routine quite a bit from what i had been doing due to work, use to be I would work form 4am til 7pm mon-fri, in the gym 7pm-9pm mon-fri, sat was work from 4am til 1 pm in the gym 1pm-3pm, only day off from the gym was sunday. would fall asleep on couch after supper, wake up at 3am and start over. NO PROGRESS AT ALL!!
I have since changed my split to gym mon,tue,thu and fri, no gym on wed,sat or sun-starting to see results
still working the same hours though

Maccabee
01-23-07, 3:13 pm
Ya i would go to the gym. I would just eat a little more carbs and sleep one hour during the day before i hit the gym. That works for me because I am in college and finals come i dont get that much sleep and i aint going to skip training over finals. So try that and see what happens.

Unless I am sick as hell i will not go to the gym

gsb239
01-23-07, 3:32 pm
I do not go to the gym if I'm draggin the next day due to lack of sleep. So if I dont get at least 6 hours u wont see me there. Id rather save my energy, eat right, and hit the gym harder the next day.

yeah... 1 day off aint gonna kill u. If you already know you're gonna be up late that night, plan ahead: hit the gym harder the days leading up to that night and count that next day as a rest day.

gottalift
01-23-07, 8:08 pm
I hate to miss a workout but sleep/rest is a vital part of the equation. It would largely depend on how I felt that day, if I felt I was'nt going to be productive I'd wait 24 hours and hit it twice as hard.

karthik
01-23-07, 8:35 pm
i don't know about any scientific literature on this or whatever, but i do feel rather than sleep, how you feel matters much more than any other variable. About a year or so ago i found out my promotion packet to sergeant finally went through and I was getting pinned the next day. I was so happy that i barely got any sleep that night, about 2 hours. That day was a blast, I got pinned and got off work at 5:30 p.m. I was so excited that I went to the gym to workout, and had one of the best workouts ever, and hit about 3 p.r.'s, I worked Chest and Triceps that day and did 25 mins of cardio.

p.s. sometimes you have to think outside the box to get results.

pdiesel
01-24-07, 12:23 am
it depends if you trained the day before..then maybe you want to catch up on your sleep..also if you have adequate energy the next day, maybe you can give it a go..just make sure it's a one time deal..finally, if youre ever in the gym and you are lagging bc of lack of energy do one of 2 things--1) energy drink (i personally dont use them) or 2) GO HOME and rest instead..there is no use in beating a dead horse..

wedge
01-24-07, 3:16 am
I'm a pretty bad insomniac, so I have issues sleeping. I try to get as much as I possibly can and supplement with naps. I try to get to the gym no matter how little sleep I may have gotten the night before. Figure I can always relax, either watching tv or in front of the computer at this forum and rest my body as best as possible that way.

dtb004
01-24-07, 3:28 am
I'm a 3rd shift police officer. I am married as well... So the only time I get to go to the gym is after work at 0800 am. That's after working from 1000 pm the night before and sleeping about 7 hours that day. Am I tired of course i'm tired. But I also believe that doing it when you should be sleeping is still better than none at all. I still get some sleep, but beggars cant be choosers. It would be different if I was 1st shift freakin banker hours, but some dont have that luxury and pound when we can.. DO I see gains, hell yeah...... Everyday
Peace
DTB

combatwombat
01-24-07, 4:18 pm
Normally I don't skip. I have spent the last couple of months getting my life structured around hitting the gym at specific times. And yes I have WO with little or no sleep. It sucks. But, if I miss a pre scheduled day I may not be able to make it back till the next scheduled day. (Normally the next day but if I have my rest days scheduled in it could be 2)

I would work through it. Just go light and high reps. You never know, some of these work outs where you feel bad in the begining can turn legendary..

One time I drug my ass to the gym on leg day and once I got warmed up I said F*ck it! and next thing you know, I am having trouble pushing in the clutch on the way home. What I thought was impossible was actually very possible and I still remeber that work out today.

PlacentiaBay
01-25-07, 1:01 pm
i dont take sleep as a excuse anymore, its git 'er done style for me or no style at all. I even kicked though a few cases of the flu and kicked its ass pretty bad.

Hungry4Life930
02-03-07, 4:52 am
Whaddup Animals. I have read in many articles and magazines that getting a good 6-8 hours of sleep is required for growth. I am currently deployed so sleep only comes in at about 3-5 hours a night, which makes it very hard to wake up at 0400 to go work out. I have experienced a lack of motivation over the past two weeks. Any suggestions on how to break out this rut. Thanx in advance for all advice

dtb004
02-03-07, 5:58 am
Hey man,
I'm a 3rd shift officer, married, with a baby girl on the way so I understand man. I work from 2200 to 0800 6 days a week and I usually find the time right after work. I go at 0815 to about 1000 every morning 6 days a week with Sunday off. Many will tell you that sleep is very important, and it very well is, but you gotta do what you gotta do. There are a ton of people on here that work swing shifts, nights, and other schedules as well that should reply to this too. Getting that good anabolic sleep is crucial, but just remember that my philosophy is some don't have it as easy as others and we gotta lift when we gotta lift ya know....I saw that you said you need motivation.. consider this,,, When you go to the gym tired as hell, you are showing the "others" that you want it more than them. What is more animal than that??
Peace.
DTB

Suleiman
02-03-07, 8:52 am
your sitting thinking damn am tired as shit but i need to hit the iron....so you start but your so tired u keep stoping to fing some way to find that energy
so what is it should suffer through or get some zzzzzs?

Enforcer25
02-03-07, 10:17 am
I think if you are really that tired you should get the sleep, maybe you can sleep for a little while and then hit the gym. I've had days where I'm exhausted and I get some sleep and then hit the gym. Your probably not going to get a good workout and more importantly you might get yourself injured.

LurkingBeast
02-03-07, 3:31 pm
it would definately suck to sacrafice a day at the gym. But If I'm dead on leg day, I'd almost rather take the night off and get some sleep, then make up for the work out tomorrow, as I know if I go in tired, I'm just gonna have a worthless work out.

Darkman X
02-05-07, 10:39 am
Myself I would rather sleep than workout tired. That is when mistakes are made and you get injured then you are forced to take time off. Catch some sleep and bust your ass the next day if you are that tired. I can't stress to people enough the mental and physical focus that is required for a great workout. I mean if you want to be a Animal, which i hope you do if you are on this forum, then you can't expect anything less than 110% every workout. Keep working hard and stay focused.
One, X

naturalguy
02-05-07, 11:48 am
There is enough time to sleep in the grave

Testpolska
02-05-07, 11:50 am
There is enough time to sleep in the grave

Couldn't agree more. You just gotta light your fuckin fuse and do some work.

Lethal_Banana
02-05-07, 12:55 pm
It is because of similar issues that I never work out without Animal Pump ;)

speedster00
02-05-07, 1:14 pm
Two different types of tired bro. One is because your cutting carbs and just dont have the energy. The other is genuinly tired and physically warn out. If your warn out, sleep. Your body needs it. If its lack of energy from food, light fire bro.

J-Dawg
02-05-07, 4:36 pm
For me, sleep is not really an option at the moment. I gotta full plate and sleep as much as my schedule allows me to. I've had some of my best workouts when I thought I was absolutely exhausted... mentally and physically. Remember this... you never know how much humans can push themselves unless tested. Sure I need sleep, but when your schedules full, sometimes ya gotta sacrafice something. I make up for my lack of sleep with good, sound nutrition habits, and a solid training routine.
You gotta ask yourself, are you making good use of your time? Why are you feeling tired? Was it b/c you partied, wasted time at night etc.

ReBesBe
03-06-07, 8:50 pm
I know they say eight hours of sleep is what the average person should get every night; but training five days a week (twice a day for three of them), how much should I really be getting?
Right now i'm lucky if I get six hours a night and that's not good. Any advice or motivation to get me to hit the hay earlier?

bleed_alone
03-06-07, 9:15 pm
it depends on what you're doing in the time prior to your sleep time.. if something's cutting in, cut whatever that is out or get it out of the way earlier in the day, not right before you go to bed.

hjayss
03-07-07, 7:56 am
Sleep sleep sleep important bro we all are here for a reason none of us are here to shrink so try to get in napps during the day whenever you can. eat eat eat remember you grow when you are in your deepest sleep so if you do not have to set that alarm let the body rest as much as you can.

Hollow
03-07-07, 10:22 am
If you have the chance to get 8 hours of sleep grab it. Right now I'm getting 5 hours (if I'm lucky some nights 6 hours) and it is greatly affecting my workouts! Get the sleep when you can get it!

Giant Killer
03-07-07, 11:17 am
If it is "impossible" to get more sleep try ZMA before bed (Zinc Magnesium Aspartate). It will increase your REM sleep, and increase your anabolic hormones at night more than your average sleep. I try to get more when I can, but sometimes I only get 5-6 hours and I feel more rested with it.

Hollow
03-07-07, 1:16 pm
If it is "impossible" to get more sleep try ZMA before bed (Zinc Magnesium Aspartate). It will increase your REM sleep, and increase your anabolic hormones at night more than your average sleep. I try to get more when I can, but sometimes I only get 5-6 hours and I feel more rested with it.

ZMA helps for that deeper sleep once you fall asleep, makes a big difference I find. In another post somebody mentioned 5-HTP (I think) helps in the falling asleep.

Krieg
03-07-07, 2:20 pm
I usually get 8-10 hours a night, if possible just try to arrange things to where you would be able to get to sleep earlier. Once you get on a regular sleep pattern it's not hard at all to get to sleep.

ANewBreed
04-04-07, 4:20 pm
one more question about sleep...what do you guys think is better? sacraficing 1 to 2 hours of sleep for another meal? or should you skip the meal and get some sleep?

Maestro
04-05-07, 1:34 pm
Get both, set an alarm, wake up, and pound a protein shake with a little fat (or whatever concoction you have cooked up for your training goals).

pdiesel
04-05-07, 5:01 pm
Rest is absolutely HUGE. I have recently come to the realization that training 5 days in a row (with the weekend off) is NOT the way to go. By Friday I would be dead tired and sore as shit, so I decided to try something new. Now I train Mon, Tues, Weds OFF, Thurs, Fri, Sat. Mon and Tues are large bodyparts. Thurs, Fri, and Sat are one large body part and two smaller bodyparts (arms and shoulders). I will not lie to you, my energy levels are so much higher and I don't feel a lack of energy at all. On Weds (offday) make sure you are eating a lot and taking your recovery supplements (protein and glutamine). Take an EXTRA serving of these--it will help. Overall though, rest is so so so important, never underestimate it.

Tego1090
04-06-07, 3:55 pm
I've noticed that the serious guys at the gym are complaining (or just noticing more) about not getting a good night's sleep when they wake up in the morning. Is anyone else here having problems sleeping?

karthik
06-01-07, 5:34 am
Whaddup Animals. I have read in many articles and magazines that getting a good 6-8 hours of sleep is required for growth. I am currently deployed so sleep only comes in at about 3-5 hours a night, which makes it very hard to wake up at 0400 to go work out. I have experienced a lack of motivation over the past two weeks. Any suggestions on how to break out this rut. Thanx in advance for all advice

come on, man didn't you read what I wrote in the last page, okay I'll add something to it, K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid), don't wory about the variables so much, get some more food, well actually a lot more food, drink a lot of milk and eat cottage cheese if possible to keep your bones, joints, and tendons strong and healthy, and you'll sleep plenty when you get real tired, and don't worry about lack of sleep, even if you are infantry when you get down time (you will at some point during your deployment), use that as an opportunity to catch up on sleep.

Bam Bam
06-01-07, 5:39 am
I've noticed that the serious guys at the gym are complaining (or just noticing more) about not getting a good night's sleep when they wake up in the morning. Is anyone else here having problems sleeping?

I have trouble sleeping almost every other night. Sometimes I just wake up for no reason or sometime its to take a piss, my arm is numb, or excruciating cramps I sometime get in my hams. Regardless, I just dont sleep as soundly as I used to. I even tried melatonin which only seems to work on me sometimes. Go figure.

Torque757
06-01-07, 8:58 pm
I sleep about 6. Areblest is no small dude, machine's articles and postlead me to beleive he doesnt sleep much(wakes 3 f'n30, cant get that much) and he is300 f'n ;lbs.

So, how can it be that sleep is so important when so many peaple thrive with much less than the recommended 8-10 hrs?

Torque757
06-01-07, 9:02 pm
Also, a study found(and some students that edietied my old highscool paper succesffully did this) that you could get by with 4 30 min naps a day. Your body eventually gets to wherer it goes directly to REM sleep, beleived to originate back in caveman times when humans could not safely sleep 8 hrs strait. The students said they felt fine and not tried at all, once they got used to it.

So it is my firm beleif that the body will adept to whatever, and probably reach REM faster once it realizes the less sleep its getting.

squattingtillipuke
06-06-07, 8:33 am
I usually average 5-6 hours...between working out in the morning, work, then kids sports at night can't seem to get more than that (still have to go home and take care of the house). By the end of the week I am absolutely exhausted and try to catch up on sat and sun morning. I know that this is a growing time due to gh levels but it is what it is...I guess to quote Wade Garret from Road House "Doc I'm going to get all the sleep I need when I die."

Mick

The_Beast
06-06-07, 9:12 am
For me, being in Highschool, some nights are long, sometime's I cant hit the gym until 7-8PM. but hell, even getting home at 10PM, there is still enough time to get in adequate sleep. There isnt any excuses, or people to blame except yourself for your own actions. And I disagree, with a post before hand saying that Frank Mcgrath, Machine, or anyone, at their top quality size, density, and shape, suffers from a lack of sleep. Even though I do remember, that Sergio Oliva, worked nights, and still overcame Arnold S. for the Olympia Title. It all depends on schedule, If I have two hours before I hafto be somewhere, Its stupid to waste that time sitting, watching Tv, etc. Time management is the Key. I average out, 6-7Hrs a Night, but also, Sleep 2-3hrs during the day. But hey, im not here to bash anyone, just to state my oppinion on the subject.

crypto
06-06-07, 10:14 am
for some reason when i take even a 20 minute nap during the day, i cant fall asleep at night.

MassMonster
06-06-07, 2:59 pm
For me, being in Highschool, some nights are long, sometime's I cant hit the gym until 7-8PM. but hell, even getting home at 10PM, there is still enough time to get in adequate sleep. There isnt any excuses, or people to blame except yourself for your own actions. And I disagree, with a post before hand saying that Frank Mcgrath, Machine, or anyone, at their top quality size, density, and shape, suffers from a lack of sleep. Even though I do remember, that Sergio Oliva, worked nights, and still overcame Arnold S. for the Olympia Title. It all depends on schedule, If I have two hours before I hafto be somewhere, Its stupid to waste that time sitting, watching Tv, etc. Time management is the Key. I average out, 6-7Hrs a Night, but also, Sleep 2-3hrs during the day. But hey, im not here to bash anyone, just to state my oppinion on the subject.

Agreed..... without that good set of rest overtraining is inevitable.... shit i go to skool too so i manage my time accordingly to make sure i get enough down time to get in about 7-8hrs.... time management is key if u wanna succeed...theres no excuse we put shit in front of the essential n thats where we go wrong...

Henrikson
07-12-07, 3:12 am
generally around 8? maybe 9?

thanks.

WillWest
07-12-07, 4:53 am
Pretty much mate. No less than 8 for sure. Sometimes its not practical to fit it in. (You'll read how people on here have 2 jobs and commitments which means they lose out on sleep) but you need to make it part of your training routine as much as eating and lifting.

Preston
07-12-07, 5:51 am
Sleeping, pure resting, and zero stress I feel will get your body where you need to go. On my last vaca. I slept over the night for about 5 hours, then slept another 11 in the car on the rest of the way. I woke up every 2 1/2 to get some real gains and supps, then hit it again.

I found that I was fuller and harder than usual and put up some real good numbers down in OK. :)

Fact is, your body needs sleep, but a restless sleep won't help you. That's why most bb's sleep past 8 hours and are in an almost coma-like state.

Space Cowboy
07-12-07, 5:52 am
Not too lilttle, not too much. Some people need less than others tho. 8 hours is the standard, but its more important to get your sleep pattern in check. I used to be a bit of an insomniac, staying up till 3am even when having to get up at 6am for work, im now in a regular pattern of sleep between 10pm&12am.

EASI

billmd1334
07-12-07, 7:59 am
I say the bare minimum is 6... but you should always aim for more than that... I try to get at least a solid 8 every night... sometimes that works... sometimes it's only 7... or sometimes 9... life doesn't always allow you to get a set number of hours... but without doubt aim for as much as you can.

violator
07-12-07, 8:29 am
As much as possible.....

Space Cowboy
07-12-07, 8:53 am
Tho ive seen various articles where its been said that too much sleep is bad for you, cant remember the exact debate, but will have a root around and try post it up here.

EASI

simpleguy
07-12-07, 4:43 pm
if you wanna grow, probably think about more than 8 h, but 7-8 hours is a general guideline for everyone

Henrikson
07-12-07, 4:51 pm
alright, thanks for allll the info guys

RoJoHen
07-12-07, 7:01 pm
I've heard it said that on average it's good to sleep in 3 hour intervals, something to do with REM cycles. So if you're gonna sleep, get 3, 6 or 9 hours and you should feel more rested.

dIdDy
07-12-07, 7:06 pm
10-12 hours for bodybuilders.

Henrikson
07-12-07, 7:12 pm
I've heard it said that on average it's good to sleep in 3 hour intervals, something to do with REM cycles. So if you're gonna sleep, get 3, 6 or 9 hours and you should feel more rested.

3 hour intervals would kind of make sense, since ive done 3, 6 hours before and seem nicely rested, thats intresting.

10-12 is kinda overkill isnt it? sometimes when i oversleep i end up groggy for the day

RoJoHen
07-13-07, 1:00 am
3 hour intervals would kind of make sense, since ive done 3, 6 hours before and seem nicely rested, thats intresting.

10-12 is kinda overkill isnt it? sometimes when i oversleep i end up groggy for the day
Only getting 3 hours isn't really good for building muscle, but if you're pressed for time and can't get a full night's sleep, a 3 hour nap is more restful than a 2 or 4 hour nap. But for muscle recovery, more sleep is definitely better.

However 10-12 is definitely overkill. 12 hours is half the frickin day!

gsb239
07-13-07, 1:34 am
7-9 for me is perfect. Any more or less and I don't feel right.

jhicks3301
07-13-07, 11:51 am
i say 7-9

k1usa
07-13-07, 11:56 am
interesting question...

in talking to Jay Cutler last weekend...we talked about sleeping...and he is up 2 to 3 times a night in pain and hunger...and I am as well....never just a full nights sleep..always getting up in some sort of cramping....pain.....and hungry...so with me...its 3 hours here and there....and just listening to Jay...he seems to have the same thing...funny how its a common thing with this lifestyle.. but I love it

Everyonedoes
07-13-07, 12:39 pm
Jays in pain every night? Id say get as much sleep as possible I personaly aim for 8 hours a night but sometimes i get a lil more and sometimes a bit less.

Henrikson
07-13-07, 1:05 pm
no good in oversleeping, should i just have an alarm clock for 8 hours?

gsb239
07-13-07, 1:18 pm
no good in oversleeping, should i just have an alarm clock for 8 hours?

Oversleeping is just as bad as undersleeping in my opinion. I feel lethargic when I wake up. I also find that I gotta cram my meals since the day is shortened.

Henrikson
07-13-07, 1:47 pm
Oversleeping is just as bad as undersleeping in my opinion. I feel lethargic when I wake up. I also find that I gotta cram my meals since the day is shortened.

yeah, so if i schedule a certain time for me to goto sleep and wake up, and make it 8 hours every night i should be set

gsb239
07-13-07, 1:56 pm
yeah, so if i schedule a certain time for me to goto sleep and wake up, and make it 8 hours every night i should be set

Pretty much. After a while you body will just adjust to sleeping around 8 hours in my opinion. Some days you'll need more, some days you'll need less.

jonsbsn
07-15-07, 4:43 am
but some people can't.... I do overnights and some times when I'm going from being awake during days to nights and vice versa my body is like wtf and doesn't get very good rest. I do notice decreased performance in the gym sometimes because of this. There is a reason the pros get 10+ hours of sleep every day... it matters. Body's are addaptable, but that doesn't mean you should go regularly w/o enough sleep. Your body can ALSO addapt to low cal diets and still get stronger but that doesn't mean you want to do that... SOMETHING will suffer, in most cases this is size due to decreased recovery. Sleep, eat, GROW!

brianjaney
07-16-07, 9:18 pm

If you are concerned about the sleep you are getting, try some Gaba. You can get the cheap stuff from bodybuilding.com - Higher Power brand - it works just like the pricer types and it you get the bigger container, it will last you for quite a while. You can read up about Gaba on their site. I have been using about 5 grams a night for the last few months and it works. The sleep is sweet -- just mix it with water and slam it about 30 minutes before bed. I generally don't sleep more than 6-7 hours a night myself, but I am making gains and I am certain adding Gaba to the mix has got something to do with it.

simpleguy
07-23-07, 11:21 am

hey bro, if you schedule allows it, go to bed at 9-10 p.m., and don't tell me you wake up at 10 a.m cause I won't believe you... funny this thing hasn't been said yet in this thread... it seems the 10 p.m. - midnight is the best interval which you should include in you sleep because helps a lot... it's sometimes hard for me to sleep at 10 p.m. but when I manage to, I really wake up fresh and ready for action, at about 6-7 a.m

Riesjs
07-24-07, 4:56 pm
Any longer than 8 hours i start feeling like crap. Especially on the weekends. I feel like i need to get up at the same time as i do during the week just to keep my body feeling normal and not run over.

AD21
09-14-07, 8:13 am
Hey guys....I am constantly waking up in the middle of the night, either to piss or just waking up because I want to get up early to hit the gym so I never get comfortable in my bed. Is this inconsistent sleep killing my growth?

Phil800101
09-14-07, 1:48 pm
Hey guys....I am constantly waking up in the middle of the night, either to piss or just waking up because I want to get up early to hit the gym so I never get comfortable in my bed. Is this inconsistent sleep killing my growth?

It depends. Do you fall back asleep easily, or are you lying awake/tossing and turning? How many hours of total sleep are you getting? Do you feel tired the next day?

Have you tried ZMA? I started using it about a month ago, and I noticed I rarely, if ever, have interrupted sleep. If I do wake up, I fall back asleep almost immediately, even when I get up to take a leak or whatever. On top of that, I feel better rested when I wake up. Alot of guys on here use and reccommend it, myself included. It's cheap, and my guess is it could help with your interrupted sleep. Here's a whole thread on it:

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=9765

cviewmike851
09-14-07, 1:57 pm
I used to have that same problem. I then added L-Dopamine to my stack and it not only claims to naturally increase my human growth hormome levels but it makes me sleep like a baby

200lb weakling
09-14-07, 2:18 pm
I use GABA in powder form.

I will get some ZMA ? I looked around online and am just finding capsules. Does it come in powder form? Those that are getting results with ZMA - do you take it in capsule, pill, or powder.

I'm a lousy sleeper. I'll give L dopamine a try, too.

Thanks.

Phil800101
09-14-07, 8:17 pm
Capsules. I take Universal's ZMA Pro. Month supply (90 capsules) can be found for $10-$15.

LegendKillerJosh
09-15-07, 10:12 pm
There has to be a way to get more sleep for any of you. Why can't you go to sleep 1 or 2 hours earlier. I've heard you start releasing GH after 7.5 hours. That's why I like to get 8.5 to get that full hour of GH release.

gripperm
01-02-08, 12:37 am
How important is it? I tend to only sleep about 4 hours a night. Now mind you I am not nor will I ever be a BB or even a muscle man, just someone trying to lose a lot of weight

norrim1
01-02-08, 12:42 am
How important is it? I tend to only sleep about 4 hours a night. Now mind you I am not nor will I ever be a BB or even a muscle man, just someone trying to lose a lot of weight

Lack of sleep can increase your stress levels which in turn will effect your weight loss. 4 hours a night is pretty slim bro. Sleep is VERY important no matter what your goals are. Here's a thread J-Rock started about the importance of rest, now go to sleep..haha

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=4765&highlight=Importance+rest

houseofpain
01-02-08, 11:10 am
yeah sleep is very important. try to grab at least 8 hours a night. force yourself to go to bed earlier.

Pizzalamp
01-02-08, 1:06 pm
lately ive been taking my nitric oxide product about 20 mins before bed(as suggested on the bottle) and i fall asleep really easily. Its the best sleep ive had in a while

ralf_snake
01-04-08, 10:27 am

As Steel said, i don't know if its true, but i got this about sleep which is very very helpful. And you can search up more than just stuff about sleep.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/sleep1.htm

Themostocles
01-05-08, 4:33 am
The three hour pattern for sleep is based on circadium(sp?) rhythems, a natural cycle of your metabolism, and varies a little from person to person. But you can't change it day to day, but over time you can. And if you can plan your sleep schedule with it, it allows you to fall asleep easier and wake up more rested. -T.

bovat
01-11-08, 9:10 pm
i know your supposed to get like eight hours of sleep, but i cant go to bed at 10, its not happenening, so i get like six hours going to bed at 12, and then i get home and take like a 2-4 hour nap, so am i gettin ample rest this way, or do i need to get it all at once to stay in a deep sleep.

Cstlfx
01-11-08, 9:13 pm
8 hours is just a guide line. If you feel rested well enough after 6 hours, then its fine. Some people just cant and dont need over 8 hours of sleep.

Sir J-Werk
01-11-08, 9:17 pm
As long as your feel rested and aren't dragging ass you should be good to go.... Hell, I can't even spell ate ours uv suhleep....

intoodeep25
01-11-08, 9:35 pm
there is a difference between a nap and 2 hours more of deep sleep, because when your in a deep sleep more growth hormone is released..i say shoot for 7 atleast, 6 is not enough IMO..just another sacrifice to be made if you want premium results

pmug0000
01-11-08, 10:31 pm
i know your supposed to get like eight hours of sleep, but i cant go to bed at 10, its not happenening, so i get like six hours going to bed at 12, and then i get home and take like a 2-4 hour nap, so am i gettin ample rest this way, or do i need to get it all at once to stay in a deep sleep.

Deep sleep for a prolonged period is definitely most productive for growth. With that said, it is unrealistic to think that (with school, jobs, etc.) EVERY night you MUST get 8 hours.
What helps me sleep better - and this might help you - is melatonin, ZMA, or GABA. You can mix 'n match, take one, take 'em all - whatever takes - your body will thank you.
-- that's if you're 18+.

Pro Libertate
01-13-08, 6:43 am
I'm the same ay i can never get to bed at 10 it just feels wrong, right now its 1am and i'm only starting to consider going to bed. All through last year i had a lot of studying and a very busy lifestyle. Naturally i just don't sleep a lot, 5 - 6 hours a night feels plenty for me even with bodybuilding, doing a lot of sports and studying till 3 or 4 am. I agree with Sir J-Werk and Cstlfx, if you feel rested enough and don't notice slow progress it sounds like you're fine

staudt
01-23-08, 11:10 pm
I don't know what to do...I'm 15 and I have school everyday during the week but I cannot go to bed early enough...usually only getting around 5 hours of sleep during the week and on the weekends when I sleep in I seem to be able to sleep forever. I don't know what to do yesterday I was too tired to lift, anyone have any suggestions. I tried laying down an hour before I wanted to fall asleep and ended up laying there for a few hours...
Thanks

kamrynd
01-23-08, 11:14 pm
You should try melatonin.
I'm 15 also and i used to always wake up in the middle of the night.
But now I sleep pretty good

staudt
01-23-08, 11:19 pm
My dad takes melatonin, should I take it or would I want to ask them or something?

pmug0000
01-23-08, 11:51 pm
My dad takes melatonin, should I take it or would I want to ask them or something?

It's not a good habit to take your parents pills without asking about them. Since you are 15, definitely talk to your parents about it.
But why can you only get 5 hours of sleep? You said you were too tired to lift, so you should be tired enough to fall asleep at night.

staudt
01-24-08, 12:03 am
I can sleep during the day fine, just not at night

pmug0000
01-24-08, 12:28 am

There's your problem bro - if you get too much sleep during the day that's why you have trouble falling to sleep earlier at night. Try to get yourself on a better sleep schedule by not sleeping as much during the day and you should be fine.

RoJoHen
01-24-08, 12:45 am
It's a teenager thing. I know when I was in high school I only got about 4 hours of sleep every night because I simply couldn't fall asleep until about 3-4am. Most of my friends were the same way.

k1usa
01-24-08, 1:28 am
get your body clock in line...do not do any drugs...your are growing like a fiend at 15....bro...just train during the afternoon after school....get some cardio in....eat light pre bed time....read in bed....relax...there is no reason to cheat and take anthing for sleeping...if you are tired...you sleep...you are hungry...you eat....and on and on....just be careful bro......dont give in to any drugs...period!!!

RoJoHen
01-24-08, 1:37 am
I'm not sure melatonin really counts as a "drug." Yes, they're pills, but melatonin is what your body produces naturally in order to make you tired.

Vinny G
01-24-08, 2:35 am

ok...right now it's almost 3am here in NJ, and i cant sleep too.....shit on my mind for work.

i dont fight it, i just get up and get on the compter and read.

i think your reason is way differant than mine is for not sleeping....and here is what i think you should do:

1st, dont train at all for a few days to a week......nothing bad will happen.

2nd, no matter how tired you are during and after school...DO NOT SLEEP

3rd, go to sleep at your normal time, if you cant sleep or wake up at midnight or something like that and are fully awake...do not try to fight it, stay up and go read or go on the computer.

4th, repeat # 1 and up until you get tired at night....and sleep through the night.

it will take up to 1 week to re-adjust your body.

i have done this....and it works

GOOD LUCK

Big Wides
01-24-08, 10:09 am
get your body clock in line...do not do any drugs...your are growing like a fiend at 15....bro...just train during the afternoon after school....get some cardio in....eat light pre bed time....read in bed....relax...there is no reason to cheat and take anthing for sleeping...if you are tired...you sleep...you are hungry...you eat....and on and on....just be careful bro......dont give in to any drugs...period!!!

soild advice right there.....like others have said keep the sleeping for the night, not day. DO NOT TAKE ANYTHING for it, naturally adjust to sleeping, the human body is great at adjusting to different things......your 15, eat big, get big, sleep big (at night).

Also, are you consuming anything high in caffiene throughout the day, or before you sleep? that may have something to do with it as well

staudt
01-24-08, 5:07 pm
yeah I drink coffee in the morning usually like 1 cup black, I'm done growing as far as I know (height wise) so I'm not worried about that. I just have trouble sleeping early at night but I will try to re-adjust it.

staudt
01-24-08, 5:16 pm
I shouldn't lift today then if i am sleepy?

Chin
01-24-08, 8:24 pm
yeah I drink coffee in the morning usually like 1 cup black, I'm done growing as far as I know (height wise) so I'm not worried about that. I just have trouble sleeping early at night but I will try to re-adjust it.

Technically you are not done growing until you are about 21...

I shouldn't lift today then if i am sleepy?

And thats a definite no... If I feel anything less than 100% I do not lift, that includes sleep and hunger... This is where most people get sloppy and end up hurting themselves.

On top of that... it is a proven fact that many teenagers have circadian rhythms that are not completely in sync with "normal" sleeping patterns. They actually tend to be a little later than normal adults. In my opinion there are only 2 ways to deal with this

1) Exhaust yourself to the point of dropping at the gym...
2) Eat more at night...

Why do these? Well if you drop your energy stores in the gym you should be more likely to sleep easier... the extra food should slow down your metabolism enough for you to get your sleeping patterns back in order.

Chin

Freakshow
01-24-08, 8:53 pm
ok...right now it's almost 3am here in NJ, and i cant sleep too.....shit on my mind for work.

i dont fight it, i just get up and get on the compter and read.

i think your reason is way differant than mine is for not sleeping....and here is what i think you should do:

1st, dont train at all for a few days to a week......nothing bad will happen.

2nd, no matter how tired you are during and after school...DO NOT SLEEP

3rd, go to sleep at your normal time, if you cant sleep or wake up at midnight or something like that and are fully awake...do not try to fight it, stay up and go read or go on the computer.

4th, repeat # 1 and up until you get tired at night....and sleep through the night.

it will take up to 1 week to re-adjust your body.

i have done this....and it works

GOOD LUCK

^^^great advice right here..

pmug0000
01-25-08, 5:50 pm
And thats a definite no... If I feel anything less than 100% I do not lift, that includes sleep and hunger... This is where most people get sloppy and end up hurting themselves.

Chin

I completely disagree with you on this one man. If I took the day off every time I was a little tired, or a little less than 100%, then I'd probably be hitting the gym about once a week, and my training schedule would constantly need to be re-adjusted depending on which days I feel perfect and which days I do not.

My advice if you are serious and dedicated to training is to suck it up and lift. Now, if you got like 2 hours of sleep the night before, or haven't eaten for way too long, the story would be different. But there is absolutely no reason for either of these situations to occur.

A lot of times I'll be feeling a little run-down before I go to the gym, but after my first couple of sets I really get into it and feel re-invigorated. But hey, if you only go to the gym when you feel absolutely perfect it doesn't bother me - do whatever works for you. I'm just saying that sometimes you need to work through the lethargy.

Zacharicus
02-28-08, 4:58 am
A lot of times I'll be feeling a little run-down before I go to the gym, but after my first couple of sets I really get into it and feel re-invigorated. But hey, if you only go to the gym when you feel absolutely perfect it doesn't bother me - do whatever works for you. I'm just saying that sometimes you need to work through the lethargy.

I'm with ya bro. I'm normally feeling somewhat tired after a day at work, then off to lift. But after a couple of warm up sets, I'm usually good to go too.

I do have a bit of a problem sleeping at night too though. Tend to wake up several times (I'm 28). Find it rather annoying. But haven't tried pills. I normally just blame the girl. I'm like an animal in bed (in every way), and it doesn't take much sounds or movement to wake me up.

RenegadeRows
03-29-08, 9:34 am
Okay so Im thumbing through this month's issue of MD mag and read dexter jackson's "the cutting edge" section, dude says he only gets around 5 hours of sleep a night...Says he hits the sack at around 1 AM and is up again at 6 or 7. BUT he does say that he will take a nap during the day from time to time.

MassMan
03-29-08, 9:38 am
Okay so Im thumbing through this month's issue of MD mag and read dexter jackson's "the cutting edge" section, dude says he only gets around 5 hours of sleep a night...Says he hits the sack at around 1 AM and is up again at 6 or 7. BUT he does say that he will take a nap during the day from time to time.

Don't listen to that guy, I would say. Your body grows and recovers during sleep. Why cut into growing time? Sure, naps are great, but can't compare to a full 8-9 hours of sleep.

RenegadeRows
03-29-08, 9:46 am
Oh yeah! for sure dude... I get my 8...I dont care what the f*** anyone tells me. It helps me focus during the day, while lifting, working, or at class. I was just posting that fact because I was amazed at how someone as big and ripped as D. Jackson (one of the best out there right now next to dennis wolf and victor martinez, IMO) would sleep so little. On second though, maybe his naps might span 2-3 hours, giving him his 8-9 total hours of sleep.

jer
03-29-08, 9:48 am
I think when you're younger you need more sleep. As you get older you don't need as much. Just listen to your body. If you're tired sleep. I don't need the 8+ hours I did like when I was a teenager.

EDIT: One of my football coaches in High School only slept 4 hours a night and that guy had tons of energy, like he was on speed. He said he just didn't need that much sleep to feel rested.

RoJoHen
03-29-08, 12:37 pm
I think when you're younger you need more sleep. As you get older you don't need as much. Just listen to your body. If you're tired sleep. I don't need the 8+ hours I did like when I was a teenager.

EDIT: One of my football coaches in High School only slept 4 hours a night and that guy had tons of energy, like he was on speed. He said he just didn't need that much sleep to feel rested.

Weird. I was completely the opposite. In high school I only got 3-4 hours a night and was perfectly fine.

Now I'm dragging if I don't get at least 10.

Ideally, you should try to sleep in 3-hour intervals (3, 6, 9, etc) because that is the average length of a REM cycle. If you interrupt a REM cycle (waking up in the middle of dreaming, for example), you're probably going to be mentally exhausted. However, I don't know how this affects muscle recovery.

pmug0000
03-29-08, 12:59 pm
Just listen to your body. If you're tired sleep.

Exactly. I think the right amount of sleep is however much it takes for you to feel rested and ready to start your day.

Also, I don't think too much sleep will hurt you, but I think too little sleep will. Maybe not right away, but I think continued nights of less than 7 hours of sleep would eventually cause some problems.

RenegadeRows
03-29-08, 3:06 pm
x10 to the listen to your body post. I think if your body is telling you that you are tired and sleepy constantly, there is something you need to rethink...unless you're like me and going on the keto for the first time, then you're just SOL heh

Spartan_32
04-24-08, 1:03 am
Jacked right now.. I was able to grab a nap today something I normally never get to do. I've adjusted to only 3 days on every other day. Training a lil more by feel then by Monday means this day yada-yada BS. So i get in the gym just not really feeling it I did deadlifts/back on monday then took tuesday off got a good 8 hours of sleep & stole in a 3 hour nap today. Heres the pay off... 335x3

135x15repsx2sets
225x6respx3sets
300x6repsx2sets
& my new MAX 335x3reps1set
Nothing was in the tank for a single max I pulled the 2nd & 3rep out my ass somehow.

Followed that with Incline
225x10reps4sets

Finished it all off with a lil arms work & called it a night ate my PWO & now headed to bed in a hour.

Moral to the story rest is everything!

RogueLion
04-24-08, 11:15 am
zzzz

Regicide
12-15-09, 6:01 pm
Hey guys, lately, I've been going to sleep at 1 AM and getting up at 6 for school. Other than the tiredness I notice that my training sessions are terrible, today I hopped on the bench for the first set and it felt like the room was spinning.

I'm pretty sure that Erik Fankouser only sleep 5 hours a night, but I guess that's him.

So, my question is, do I need 8-9 hours a night or will my lifts progress regardless? Thanks.

TigerAce01
12-15-09, 6:06 pm
At your age, you should be aiming for 10 hours a night. At minimum, 8 hours.

-Ace

Regicide
12-15-09, 6:22 pm
At your age, you should be aiming for 10 hours a night. At minimum, 8 hours.

-Ace 10 hours? Damn thats a lot... I'll try getting some more tonight, thx bro.

TigerAce01
12-15-09, 6:25 pm
10 hours? Damn thats a lot... I'll try getting some more tonight, thx bro.

Your body is in full growth mode right now, trying to expand 24 hours a day, not just trying to recover from your training. Ever wonder why a baby sleeps 20 hours a day? They're growing at an extreme rate, and they need more rest. You are still growing, so you need that extra rest. Try to get as much as possible.

-Ace

Maccabee
12-15-09, 8:46 pm
Dude, just go to sleep when your tired and wake up when your done.

Some days I will sleep 4-5 hours and I feel great. Other days I will sleep 9 and feel just as good.

Just listen to your body.

almosteasy
12-15-09, 8:49 pm
while sleep is the topic..does anyone ever have issues with waking up constantly during the night? ive heard that if you lift pretty hard it can have some effect on your sleeping at night is this true?

ironshaolin
12-15-09, 8:50 pm
Why are you going to bed at 1AM? That's the real question to ask. If you are going to school full time to earn a master's degree, while working 40 hours a week to support a family, and thats literally all the time you have to sleep before you can train, then you make do with what you got. If you're going to bed at 1AM because you don't feel like it, then assess your dedication to what you're doing.

Muscleguy93
12-15-09, 9:13 pm
Why are you going to bed at 1AM? That's the real question to ask. If you are going to school full time to earn a master's degree, while working 40 hours a week to support a family, and thats literally all the time you have to sleep before you can train, then you make do with what you got. If you're going to bed at 1AM because you don't feel like it, then assess your dedication to what you're doing.

well said.

Pizzalamp
12-15-09, 9:20 pm
i only get 4-4.5 hours a sleep a night...and thats not even a straight 4 hours...half way through i wake up to use the bathroom
been that way for over a year now
i feel fine and function great on it

you gotta find what wrks for you and make it work by adjusting bedtimes etc

MELTDOWN
12-15-09, 9:44 pm
i only get 4-4.5 hours a sleep a night...and thats not even a straight 4 hours...half way through i wake up to use the bathroom
been that way for over a year now
i feel fine and function great on it

you gotta find what wrks for you and make it work by adjusting bedtimes etc

Ditto PIZZ.... your body will take the sleep it needs and each is different. Pros sleep when they can and nap when they need to. We mortals have to get what can get and don't throw a fit. My system doesn't shut down until about 12.30 -1.00am and I'm back up about 500am to train and start the day. That with a piss session somewhere from 3-3.30am I function on that fine and have since about 2004. That said, some days I take my lunch break and nap in the car as I feel my body yearning for some sleep. If I try to crash with Wife Inc around 10-130pm, I'm up and WIDE A FREAKIN WAKE around 2.30 - 3.00am. Take your time, listen to your body, and you'll figure it out.

msktyshha
12-15-09, 10:32 pm
Early to bed and early to rise makes a man HEALTHY, wealthy, and wise.....dude sleep early with all the lights off and no one to disturb you, and wake up without an alarm clock and no one to wake you up. That will be all the sleep your body needs for a day.<<<<PERIOD

Menace
12-15-09, 11:52 pm
while sleep is the topic..does anyone ever have issues with waking up constantly during the night? ive heard that if you lift pretty hard it can have some effect on your sleeping at night is this true?

waking up constantly in the middle of the night could be a sign of sleep apnea. You should have someone watch you while you sleep.. make sure you not suffocating.

BigChrisF
12-16-09, 5:20 am
Yeah, training can screw with your sleep. I usually wake up about 6-10 times when I sleep, I almost never dream and I am sometimes awake for a couple days. It is great when I do get some real sleep.

C.Coronato
05-11-10, 1:07 pm
Lots of good sleep talk in here. Check the new "Animal Roundtable" article on sleep:

http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=478

LegendKillerJosh
05-11-10, 4:39 pm
A strategy I use when I want to train early is this - I'll go to bed at about midnight, sleep til about 5:30, get up and eat breakfast, then go back to sleep for a couple more hours and hit the gym at 8. This way I get enough sleep and get a solid meal in before I train.

hokuto_shinken
05-13-10, 1:03 pm
i generally aim for 6.5 to 7 during the week, 8 on the weekends.

i remember in school, i was getting about 6.5 which i found to be optimal. a quick 30 minute nap is good but anything more and you throw your circadian rhythm into wack.

DRIVEN
05-14-10, 2:37 am
dont drink alot of water before u go to bed, take ur shake like an hour before bed....most importantly...ANIMAL PM before i crash...sleep like a baby

kaylee
05-15-10, 5:34 am
regular your sleep is important. make sure u sleep everyday not less than 6hrs and not more than 8 hours. oversleeping and no enough sleep will gain u more weight.

blaine
05-15-10, 10:48 am
i have been getting 5-6 on workdays and 6-9 on off duty days
i get gains but im sure if i had more rest there would be more improvement

DRIVEN
05-15-10, 3:38 pm
regular your sleep is important. make sure u sleep everyday not less than 6hrs and not more than 8 hours. oversleeping and no enough sleep will gain u more weight.

dont know if i can quite agree with this.........8 hours is definately not the max you should sleep...you grow when you sleep..

Fearless Rabbit
05-15-10, 4:18 pm
This is quote from my favorite bodybuilder, Frank Zane, on importance of rest:

Last year, I got into some research with amino acids. I began to do a lot of reading about the amino acid Tryptophan. Tryptophan is what is called a neurotransmitter to the brain. It is the transmitter substance between the nerve cells of the brain. I started taking Tryptophan after some consultations with some nutritionists. I found out it was a very powerful natural tranquilizer. Taken in amounts of 1000 to 2000 grams, it will put you to sleep in about one-half hour. This really relaxed me. I would go to the gym from 6:00 to 8:00 a.m. each morning. Then I'd come home and have breakfast and some supplements. Along with this, I would take 2-3- or 4-thousand milligrams of Tryptophan and wait one-half hour. Then I would fall into this very deep relaxed sleep. I would sleep about three or four hours and get up and take care of some business or just lie in the sun. Then I would have another meal and supplements and go to the gym again. Then I would go to bed at around 9:00 p.m. and sleep to 5 a.m. I would repeat this cycle every day. So this amounted to four or five hours of training and ten to twelve hours of sleep a day. I found that the rest helped me grow bigger physically. While Tryptophan is powerful, it is hard to obtain and also expensive.

Remember, this was in 1970s..

SpankyC
08-11-10, 4:02 pm
Lately ive been getting around 4 hours of sleep if im lucky, typically 3-5 maybe a night....My ass just will not fall asleep...I mean im so effin tired im drowsy and yawning but just cannot fall asleep, tried everything, all those supplements, and yes my room is pitch black....its been like this for prolly 5-6 months now....but its wierd even on 3 hours of sleep I still feel great, really energized when im awake, and for the last months ive been getting stronger like crazy...but that may be due to me changing up my training (ive been focusing on negatives lately), but in the back of my mind I know I need more sleep..I mean this just cant be right...3-5 hours a night (if lucky) (2-3 nights a week i dont sleep by the way) and i still feel great? and getting stronger? Im not enhanced or anything....so idk, if anyone can give me some kind of help...really appreciated....ill look into that Tryptophan tho

Sprint
08-12-10, 9:31 am
This is quote from my favorite bodybuilder, Frank Zane, on importance of rest:

Last year, I got into some research with amino acids. I began to do a lot of reading about the amino acid Tryptophan. Tryptophan is what is called a neurotransmitter to the brain. It is the transmitter substance between the nerve cells of the brain. I started taking Tryptophan after some consultations with some nutritionists. I found out it was a very powerful natural tranquilizer. Taken in amounts of 1000 to 2000 grams, it will put you to sleep in about one-half hour. This really relaxed me. I would go to the gym from 6:00 to 8:00 a.m. each morning. Then I'd come home and have breakfast and some supplements. Along with this, I would take 2-3- or 4-thousand milligrams of Tryptophan and wait one-half hour. Then I would fall into this very deep relaxed sleep. I would sleep about three or four hours and get up and take care of some business or just lie in the sun. Then I would have another meal and supplements and go to the gym again. Then I would go to bed at around 9:00 p.m. and sleep to 5 a.m. I would repeat this cycle every day. So this amounted to four or five hours of training and ten to twelve hours of sleep a day. I found that the rest helped me grow bigger physically. While Tryptophan is powerful, it is hard to obtain and also expensive.

Remember, this was in 1970s..

That's great, if you're a professional bodybuilder and don't have to rely on other forms of work to fund your training. What about those dudes who do 10-12 hour shifts at work. A bit tricky to squeeze in 10 hours work, 10-12 hours sleep, and 4-5 hours training into a 24 hour period.

Aside from that. Sleep is obviously massively important to making progress, but everybody's different. I used to work with a guy who could comfortably get by on 3-4 hours sleep a night, in his previous job before we met he was a coach driver. With a shift due to start at 6:30am, he'd be putting on a film to watch at midnight.
You can bet your ass that his passengers wouldn't have got on his coach for a 5 hour drive knowing that the driver had slept for barely 200minutes. But that's all he needed, he was never drowsy or anything. Everybody's different. As long as you're seeing gains/progress and aren't dozing off every 10 minutes during the day, you're pretty much giving your body what it needs.
Sometimes a bit of nice relaxation can be as beneficial as sleep itself.