PDA

View Full Version : HIIT Training

bovat
04-19-07, 1:15 am
alright i did a post of this and couldn't find anything, can anyone give me a samlpe plan that they might use for HIIT for a stationary bike

Budsbythebeach
04-19-07, 1:19 am
One minute full blast followed by 20 or 30 secs just coasting, rinse and repeat for 10 mins or more.

extremenergy3
04-19-07, 5:12 am
One minute full blast followed by 20 or 30 secs just coasting, rinse and repeat for 10 mins or more.

One minute full blast is a bit much.

I use either bike or elliptical and go:

20 seconds full energy
15 seconds cool down (keep going, but just not at full energy)
AND REPEAT!

Do this for 15 minutes and make sure you get at least a good 5 minute warm-up before doing it. You'll be panting mighty quickly! Enjoy!

naturalguy
04-19-07, 8:51 am
The way I do HIIT cardio is to alternate 2 minutes high intensity with 1 or 2 minutes moderate intensity.

JBlackapple
04-19-07, 1:13 pm
For HIIT you could try the RANDOM button on the eliptical. I don't know if bike have this option though.

Fridge
04-19-07, 6:09 pm
I recommend for a good bike workout, to do it in a pyramid fashion. For example

Warm up
1 min (reg pace)
30 sec high intensity
1min regular
45sec high intensity
1 min regular
1 mn high intensity
1 min regular
90sec high intensity
1 min regular
An then work your way backwards i.e 1 min high intensity, 1 min regular and so on so forth.
Put on a fleece hoodie or somethin, do the workout at high intensity when it asks you too and you'll be torchin the calories.

The reason i say this, is that you need to work you body at a high heart rate and then slow it down. Messing with your metabolism like this will lengthen your metabolism long after youve been off the bike, so you'll be shedding pounds hours after youve worked out. Hope this helps.

king1
05-20-07, 7:48 pm
Warm up on the treadmill.
2 mins jogging
1 minute running as fast as possible
repeat for 20 mins.

karmazon
05-20-07, 9:03 pm
1 minute seems a bit much, the whole point of HIIT is that the intense periods should be anaerobic.

Naturally Huge
05-22-07, 4:52 pm
Do a search for Max-OT Cardio on Yahoo or Google and you'll find an excellent HIIT program.

Marathon_Man
06-12-07, 10:27 am
which is better in not LOSING MUSCLE? thats all im concerned about i dont care about fat and what not. i would think it is the steady pace becuz bb do it and it would seem like the resonable answer

Maccabee
06-12-07, 12:05 pm
Increase your protein intake and do steady pace. I want to see what others have to say as well about this. Peace

ironshaolin
06-12-07, 12:08 pm
the LONGER duration you do cardio for, the higher the chance of muscle break down. Keep it short duration, high intensity and you can actually help build muscle. I've said this before on other threads, just compare the physique of an olympic sprinter and a marathon runner. Sprinters are more muscular and defined, while long distance runners are more skinny, and wrinkly.

naturalguy
06-12-07, 12:37 pm
I like to mix it up.

Your diet and training will determine whether you keep your muscle or not.

Space Cowboy
06-12-07, 1:28 pm
And top up your amino pool (esp leucine) to halt catabolism.

EASI

Matt81
06-12-07, 6:53 pm
Qt the beginning of march I went on a cut which involved a fairly large reduction in food plus morning fasted steady state cardio for about 30 mins every day, plus lifting heavy 4 times a week. It took the fat right off me but also made me very weak. I lost 20kg off my bench whihc has only just gone back on!

I think I cut too much food too quick and possibly over did the cardio. I lost 11 pounds in a month to go from 192 to 182 at 5'7. Full six pack at 182 but lost a lot of size everywhere.

I'm now back at 190 and a lot leaner than the first time round but still carrying a little more fat than I'd like so I'm slowly taking out food. one less egg white per day, semi skimmed milk instead of full etc, just little things make the difference.

I read in an interesting article (linked from this site n bb.com) that when cutting 80% of your fat loss should come from diet and 20% from cardio so maybe you should look in that direction more than worry about cardio as that will determine the amount of muscle you keep to a greater extent than the type of cardio you do.

Don't be afraid to experiment, try one week at steady state and the next at HIIT, see what you react better to.

stumblin54
06-12-07, 7:00 pm
What is semi-skimmed milk?

The_Beast
06-12-07, 8:44 pm
What is semi-skimmed milk?
im thinking 2%, its the Grade, above skim. You were drinking whole milk bro, on a Cut. Damn.

Marathon_Man
06-12-07, 8:56 pm
ya i have tried both but when ironshaolin said look at sprinter and marathon runners your talkin about a whole diff thing becuz marathon runners run for hours at a time and miles so you cant really give that suggestion

king1
06-12-07, 10:23 pm
Im only 5 weeks into my first cut but its working very well so thats all i can give advice from. I do HIIT cardio 2 mins jogging 1 min sprinting, on off days for 20 mins. Reduced lifting from 5 to 3 days a week. and significantly reduced food intake and cleaned it up. Ive lost 11 lbs and hardly any strength if any (obviously im weaker if i havent eaten a lot that day). But from what ive seen HIIT works well to burn fat, and since its so short in duration im not worried about loosing muscle. I hear bodybuilders say steady pace for 45 mins give or take, but what do you tihnk burns more muscle 20 mins or 45 mins??

stumblin54
06-12-07, 11:35 pm
Im only 5 weeks into my first cut but its working very well so thats all i can give advice from. I do HIIT cardio 2 mins jogging 1 min sprinting, on off days for 20 mins. Reduced lifting from 5 to 3 days a week. and significantly reduced food intake and cleaned it up. Ive lost 11 lbs and hardly any strength if any (obviously im weaker if i havent eaten a lot that day). But from what ive seen HIIT works well to burn fat, and since its so short in duration im not worried about loosing muscle. I hear bodybuilders say steady pace for 45 mins give or take, but what do you tihnk burns more muscle 20 mins or 45 mins??

There's not a black and white answer, if that's what you're searching for, because it's a case of different strokes for different folks. I don't use HIIT and I can cut down to the bone if need be. They both work, so figure out by experimentation what suits you. If they both work for you, use your head and implement both strategies.

Stumblin

Marathon_Man
06-13-07, 12:18 pm
there should be close to a white and black answer because if bb do it then it must be the answer but was wonderining if true

Hollow
06-13-07, 1:16 pm
If your not interested in cutting and don't want to loose muscle I would opt for the steady pace. This would still give your heart and lungs some conditioning work. Just my 2 cents.

stumblin54
06-13-07, 1:45 pm
there should be close to a white and black answer because if bb do it then it must be the answer but was wonderining if true

I disagree bro. Not every BB preps the same way for a show. That means different methods work.

Stumblin

Matt81
06-13-07, 4:35 pm
im thinking 2%, its the Grade, above skim. You were drinking whole milk bro, on a Cut. Damn.

Sorry I didn't really make myself clear. On the original cut I was drinking semi (2%?) and then when I stopped cutt I went back to whole milk. The weight started going on a bit quick so I backed off to semi again.

If its any use we have 4 types of cows milk in england, colour coded:

Red skimmed milk
Green semi skimmed
Blue Whole milk
Gold basically cream

I usually have blue on a bulk but I was gaining a lot of fat on my lower stomach. gone to semi and the weights still going up but a lot cleaner, little things make the difference!

Kiwi129
06-13-07, 5:36 pm
Well there really isn't a black and white answer, but there's a few things I wanted to address:

I think HIIT is better for both fat loss as well as retaining muscle. It's been proven to oxidize fat far longer POST-cardio than low-intensity does. Also, obviously, it's shorter. So when done with fresh protein in your system and no carbohydrates I think it's far superior for fat burning and muscle retention.

So everyone's question is... why don't the pros do it then? Well, my best guess is that a 5'9", 265 lb. guy who can barely touch his nose because he's so muscular might have a hard time going on an all out sprint for a minute to a minute and a half. These are the most muscular men on the planet... but could they be too heavy to repeatedly run at a sprinting pace? If I'm mistaken please give your opinion... I'm actually wondering myself.

Marathon_Man
06-13-07, 9:07 pm
Well there really isn't a black and white answer, but there's a few things I wanted to address:

I think HIIT is better for both fat loss as well as retaining muscle. It's been proven to oxidize fat far longer POST-cardio than low-intensity does. Also, obviously, it's shorter. So when done with fresh protein in your system and no carbohydrates I think it's far superior for fat burning and muscle retention.

So everyone's question is... why don't the pros do it then? Well, my best guess is that a 5'9", 265 lb. guy who can barely touch his nose because he's so muscular might have a hard time going on an all out sprint for a minute to a minute and a half. These are the most muscular men on the planet... but could they be too heavy to repeatedly run at a sprinting pace? If I'm mistaken please give your opinion... I'm actually wondering myself.

well actually bb are very flexiable i know most can do splits so thats not correct

waugie14
06-13-07, 9:17 pm
Qt the beginning of march I went on a cut which involved a fairly large reduction in food plus morning fasted steady state cardio for about 30 mins every day, plus lifting heavy 4 times a week. It took the fat right off me but also made me very weak. I lost 20kg off my bench whihc has only just gone back on!

I think I cut too much food too quick and possibly over did the cardio. I lost 11 pounds in a month to go from 192 to 182 at 5'7. Full six pack at 182 but lost a lot of size everywhere.

I'm now back at 190 and a lot leaner than the first time round but still carrying a little more fat than I'd like so I'm slowly taking out food. one less egg white per day, semi skimmed milk instead of full etc, just little things make the difference.

I read in an interesting article (linked from this site n bb.com) that when cutting 80% of your fat loss should come from diet and 20% from cardio so maybe you should look in that direction more than worry about cardio as that will determine the amount of muscle you keep to a greater extent than the type of cardio you do.

Don't be afraid to experiment, try one week at steady state and the next at HIIT, see what you react better to.

Here's the link that I've posted before http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne36.htm he has alot of other articles if you click on his name.Good Luck

Torque757
06-13-07, 9:24 pm
the LONGER duration you do cardio for, the higher the chance of muscle break down. Keep it short duration, high intensity and you can actually help build muscle. I've said this before on other threads, just compare the physique of an olympic sprinter and a marathon runner. Sprinters are more muscular and defined, while long distance runners are more skinny, and wrinkly.

Yea, but those are the two opposite extremes of the spectrum, and rather steady pace or no it will still be pretty much in the middle. Factor in the bb diet, and it doesnt really matter, just personal preference really.

Kiwi129
06-13-07, 11:33 pm
Heh what the fuck does doing the splits have to do with running a sprint? I can run a sprint and I sure as shit can't do no fuckin splits. That was an ignorant post. Flex Wheeler can do the splits... don't act like you've seen many other guys do them.

bovat
06-15-07, 12:17 pm
what do you guys think of doing hiit right after lifting, but having a protein shake before you start.

brandonA
06-15-07, 12:50 pm
Do a search for Max-OT Cardio on Yahoo or Google and you'll find an excellent HIIT program.

I have been using this program right after I lift and DAMN....When you read it, it seems way to simple, but dont be fooled, it will kick your ass.....and to anwser your question, I would not have anything but water or nitro g between weights and cardio....you want to use up what ever is left and tap in to the body fat....

-B

karthik
06-17-07, 12:50 pm
The way I do HIIT cardio is to alternate 2 minutes high intensity with 1 or 2 minutes moderate intensity.

can you believe I got kicked out of my old college gym, for following this simple protocol for fitness and burning fat?

They said I was training too intensely.

Hikeon3
06-17-07, 2:54 pm
Y'all making me feel lazy.

I always did 1:30 at a jog, 0:30 at a sprint, then repeated. Worked just fine and it always had me pushing my own limits. Though I only do cardio when cutting, and I absolutely hate every second of it.

bovat
06-17-07, 4:17 pm
can you believe I got kicked out of my old college gym, for following this simple protocol for fitness and burning fat?

They said I was training too intensely.

thats pretty gay. isn't that what a gym is for, to TRAIN

justinbrown
02-18-08, 11:37 pm
hey guys...tried a search and didnt quite get what i wanted...

im trying to lean up a tad...or at least bulk up cleaner till i cut...if i add in some HIIT after my training...since my glycogen stores will be depleted...ill be tapping into fat stores correct? is this a waste of time for me if i want to lean up a tad but still gain some mass? im well aware of the calorie surplus/deficit for bulking/cutting respectively...but i couldnt help but think this would work

i was thinking of doing something like this:

lift
5g. creatine/nitro
cardio
60g. dextrose

thoughts anyone? will hiit after my lifting burn fat effectively? or wll it just consume cals that could be going towards my musclebuilding?

thanks alot!

Pizzalamp
02-18-08, 11:57 pm
hey guys...tried a search and didnt quite get what i wanted...

im trying to lean up a tad...or at least bulk up cleaner till i cut...if i add in some HIIT after my training...since my glycogen stores will be depleted...ill be tapping into fat stores correct? is this a waste of time for me if i want to lean up a tad but still gain some mass? im well aware of the calorie surplus/deficit for bulking/cutting respectively...but i couldnt help but think this would work

i was thinking of doing something like this:

lift
5g. creatine/nitro
cardio
60g. dextrose

thoughts anyone? will hiit after my lifting burn fat effectively? or wll it just consume cals that could be going towards my musclebuilding?

thanks alot!
the way i look at it-ive been getting good results doing cardio right after my lifting and i have my post workout shake after the cardio
i have my macronutrients figured out for the day and i know how many carbs and calories im takin in
i prefer low intensity cardio after my workout though
i save my high intesnity cardio or just jogging for another time when my muscles are not broken down after hitting the weights

justinbrown
02-19-08, 1:00 am
the way i look at it-ive been getting good results doing cardio right after my lifting and i have my post workout shake after the cardio
i have my macronutrients figured out for the day and i know how many carbs and calories im takin in
i prefer low intensity cardio after my workout though
i save my high intesnity cardio or just jogging for another time when my muscles are not broken down after hitting the weights

sounds good...how long should it be for pizza?

Lleonart
02-19-08, 1:25 am
From what I found out from a bodybuilder I know he said that if you run to fast your body will actually burn muscle and fat. If you want to burn fat walk on a tredmill at 15grade at 3 speed. This setting is supposed to burn the most fat if you do it for 20 min at the end of your workout. So far anyone that I know that has done this has had great results. Thats my 2 cents. I hope it helps.

naturalguy
02-19-08, 7:06 am
As long as you don't overdo the HIIT (too much time, too many days) you should be fine and you will lose some fat. Keeping your muscle is a matter of continuing to train hard and eat correctly.

justinbrown
02-19-08, 11:56 pm
excellent...thanks guys

krypto
03-25-08, 8:00 pm
hey whats up fellas, i wanted to know if weight lifting is essentially HIIT? i mean technically in weight lifting, you're raising your heart rate to almost full capacity and then lowering it back down in between sets repeatedly. sorry if this was touched on before.

simpleguy
03-26-08, 12:49 am
dpending on your point of view, you could consider it like that... however, hiit is usually done for cardio, and we do weight training to stimulate muscle growth, not to burn calories... hope that makes sense

k1usa
03-26-08, 12:51 am
all I know is when I hit the iron....my blood pump is on overdrive.....when doing super sets and runing the rack...its cardio buddy...at least for this old guy....

krypto
03-26-08, 6:42 am
dpending on your point of view, you could consider it like that... however, hiit is usually done for cardio, and we do weight training to stimulate muscle growth, not to burn calories... hope that makes sensebut Cardio is nothing more than raising your heart rate. Even if my intent is to stimulate muscle growth, my heart rate still goes up.

simpleguy
03-26-08, 8:20 am
but Cardio is nothing more than raising your heart rate. Even if my intent is to stimulate muscle growth, my heart rate still goes up.

true that... I just don't know if it's that efficient

there is also another issue... for a workout to be really productive (muscle growth, that is) it's good to have simple carbs before, during and after in big amounts

that will interfere with fat loss a lot but then again it makes a huge differrence for muscle growth

Sphinx
06-30-09, 11:28 pm
Like the topic states... how much rest is necessary when doing HIIT?

I'm going on a cut and am sticking to an HIIT routine of my own. Its sort of circuit training with weight lifting involved. Anyway, I'm doing it 5 days a week and am beginning to get aches and pains in my body... could these be signs of over training?

Here is an example of what I did today:

5 mins jog at moderate pace.
Then, 3 laps of about 200 meters, every 20 meters I sprint, then walk, sprint, walk, etc. Between laps I do 3 sets of various pullups (no rest between the sets)

After comes my weight lifting routine. Today was back day so it started like this: Deadlift, lat pulldown, barbell rows, stiff legged deadlifts. Three sets, no rests between exercises, only rests of 30 odd seconds between rests. I began at 10-15 reps per exercise but that fell to about 6-8 by the third set.

Austin4205
08-10-09, 5:39 pm
Whats ups everybody, i have a question, i wanna cut up and lose weight and was gonna train with weights and cardio, i have never done HIIT but know its a 2:1 process, i was just wondering if you could warm up then go all out for like 3 mins go half of that for three or does it have to be in very short bursts, thanks guys

Pizzalamp
08-10-09, 7:45 pm
Whats ups everybody, i have a question, i wanna cut up and lose weight and was gonna train with weights and cardio, i have never done HIIT but know its a 2:1 process, i was just wondering if you could warm up then go all out for like 3 mins go half of that for three or does it have to be in very short bursts, thanks guys

what i usually do either on the treadmill or the track outside...i warm up for about 5 mins w dynamic stretching and light jogs
then i sprint as fast as possible for 1 minute
then slow jog or walk for 40 secs-1 minute
and then sprint again hard as possible for 1 minute
and ill do this for 35-40 minutes
on the treadmill ill go up to 9.5...i could go faster but im afraid of falling off lol

what i found is that i cant do hiit every single day...my body gets run down...and i dont like to do it the morning of a weight workout...so on the days i lift i do steady state in the morning
and ill do 2-3 hiit sessions a week

justinbrown
08-10-09, 7:49 pm

if you can sprint for 3 minutes straight, you most likely dont need to cut! haha!

when i first start HIIT i usually do 30 sec sprint/1 min run, then as i get more used to is i build up the intervals by 15 seconds every week

week 1: 30-S/60-R
week 2: 45-S/75-R
week 3: 60-S/90-R

and so forth

thats just me though, i aint no HIIT junkie, i just do it for a few weeks here and there as i need it, thats just how i do it and it works for me! i dont go over a 1 min sprint though, when i get to a min of sprinting i start decreasing my rest intervals ( i only do 20 mins a session minus the warmup)

ive heard from many that you shouldnt do HIIT much more than 3x/week though, as its rather taxing :P

Razor
08-11-09, 12:53 pm
I recommend for a good bike workout, to do it in a pyramid fashion. For example

Warm up
1 min (reg pace)
30 sec high intensity
1min regular
45sec high intensity
1 min regular
1 mn high intensity
1 min regular
90sec high intensity
1 min regular
An then work your way backwards i.e 1 min high intensity, 1 min regular and so on so forth.
Put on a fleece hoodie or somethin, do the workout at high intensity when it asks you too and you'll be torchin the calories.

The reason i say this, is that you need to work you body at a high heart rate and then slow it down. Messing with your metabolism like this will lengthen your metabolism long after youve been off the bike, so you'll be shedding pounds hours after youve worked out. Hope this helps.

This sounds pretty killer. im' gonna give this a try tonight instead of the stairmaster.

BubbyLight
08-11-09, 12:56 pm
i like to switch mine up. every once in a while. ill do full speed for 30 then rest for 10-15 and then somedays when i know i need to up my cardio i do it for longer like 1 minute full and then 25-30 rest

type-A
10-01-09, 4:03 pm
Hey animals, I just started training HIT style this past week and was wondering a few things. Today I did a chest workout and just did one set for each exercise, but did things like drop sets throughout the workout. The workout took way too long, especially for a HIT style workout. Do you guys do just one good straight set with some assisted reps,or alot of drop sets or something too,etc.... I am really trying to get it down to the 45min mark or 1 hr mark, hit it hard for that hour. Let me know what you guys think. thanks in advance

androidhinter
10-23-09, 12:11 am
High intensity interval training. Anybody tried it? Lost a good amount of fat using this strategy of cardio. I'll start at one end of the yard, run to the other end and drop and do 10 pushups then run back and do 8 the 7 and so on till zero. I've incorporated some running with buckets of water in this too. Remember keep hydrated

Beach91
10-23-09, 7:38 am
I do it al the time, burn just as many calories as low intensity in half the time. I h8 it while i am doin it, but i do all out speed burst on whatever machine i am using for 15-20 seconds, lower the tension and go slower for the next half minute, then jam it back up again. After 20 minutes, I am soaked and done.

IRBS
10-23-09, 9:02 am
This is currently part of my cardio regiment. I do it 3 days a week. Love it.

Pizzalamp
10-23-09, 9:35 am
i love hiit
ill do it 2-3x a week
if im on the treadmill ill go at a 10.0 mph for 1 min, then a 3 mph for 1 minute, and repeat for about 30 mins-my legs have gotten great results from it too

i prefer doing sprints outside though instea dof on the treadmill

GJN5002
10-23-09, 10:23 am
HIIT keeps it interesting and makes cardio more tolerable. I like using boxing circuits

t_mh
10-23-09, 8:07 pm
What intervals do you guys you?

msktyshha
11-23-09, 2:40 pm
I apologize if the info is already on animalpak about the HIIT program, I just couldn't seem to find it, anyways I have put on some fat and I am thinking about doing the HIIT program. Reason I wanna do HIIT instead of regular cardio is because I have heard long duration cardio on bike or treadmill can be catabolic while HIIT is not. I just wanna know how should I go about doing this HIIT program. How do I incorporate HIIT with a stationary bike or a treadmill. Also since HIIT is high intensity and I know carbs are gonna be important for me, should I still lower my carbs or should I stick to my regular carb intake.

GJN5002
11-23-09, 4:44 pm
I apologize if the info is already on animalpak about the HIIT program, I just couldn't seem to find it, anyways I have put on some fat and I am thinking about doing the HIIT program. Reason I wanna do HIIT instead of regular cardio is because I have heard long duration cardio on bike or treadmill can be catabolic while HIIT is not. I just wanna know how should I go about doing this HIIT program. How do I incorporate HIIT with a stationary bike or a treadmill. Also since HIIT is high intensity and I know carbs are gonna be important for me, should I still lower my carbs or should I stick to my regular carb intake.

dont worry about catabolism so much, Ive seen your other posts. HIIt is simply going really hard for a minute or two then leveling out for a minute or two, in a veyr basic sense. Do this:

Wake up:
Grab some water, black coffee, or green tea and go to your excercise equipment.
Nice and easy for a few minutes (5 or so) and get the body ready.
Crank up the intensity for 2-3 minutes, (i.e. peddle harder or increase the speed or tension)
take the pace or intensity back down for about 2 minutes.
repeat for 20-30 min

doing it 1st thing in the a.m. you dont have to worry about carbs because youll be on an empty stomach

mritter3
11-23-09, 4:46 pm
dont worry about catabolism so much, Ive seen your other posts. HIIt is simply going really hard for a minute or two then leveling out for a minute or two, in a veyr basic sense. Do this:

Wake up:
Grab some water, black coffee, or green tea and go to your excercise equipment.
Nice and easy for a few minutes (5 or so) and get the body ready.
Crank up the intensity for 2-3 minutes, (i.e. peddle harder or increase the speed or tension)
take the pace or intensity back down for about 2 minutes.
repeat for 20-30 min

doing it 1st thing in the a.m. you dont have to worry about carbs because youll be on an empty stomach

yeah man, early morning is best, not sure if that will fit you schedule....but you get the sense of hiit, quick burst and high intensity is the key.

msktyshha
11-23-09, 4:50 pm
wow sounds like a piece of cake, but why early morning before breakfast cause you have no energy source in you except the body fat? but darn it doesn't fit my schedule, will it be effective other times also?

Pizzalamp
11-23-09, 5:16 pm
wow sounds like a piece of cake, but why early morning before breakfast cause you have no energy source in you except the body fat? but darn it doesn't fit my schedule, will it be effective other times also?im on the tread at 5am most mornings doing my hiit-once u get used to it-youll have plenty of energy
doing it b4 breakfast is good because u will tap into fat faster being you dont have carbs in your system

heres how i do it

lower body warm up for 5 minutes
walk on treadmill for 3 minutes at 3.0 mph
then i alternate
3.0 mph for 1 min, 8.0 for 1 min
3.0 for 1 min, 8.5 for 1 min
3.0 for 1 min, 9.3 for 1 min
3.0 for 1 min, 9.8 for 1 min...repeated back and forth for 15 mins
then
3.0 for 1 min, 10.2 for 1 min
3.0 for 1 min, 10.3 for 1 min...repeated for about 4 more times

then a 3-5 min cool down

Fury317
11-23-09, 5:42 pm
You should do HIIT cardio like any other weight training session because it is highly anaerobic. I would not suggest doing it first thing for the exact reason you pointed out. There are plenty of articles online, a couple written by Layne Norton, which detail it extremely well.

Also there is not one set standard for HIIT. It is based on percentages of your max heart rate. So everyone's "numbers" are going to be different for rest periods and active periods.

HIIT is a lot more complicated than someone might think and it really does make all the difference if you take the time to learn the RIGHT way of doing it.

Good luck man.

msktyshha
11-23-09, 6:04 pm
how many times a week should I be doing this?

ironshaolin
11-23-09, 9:04 pm
go for 3 times a week to start. The real benefit to intervals is the after burn effect. Because of the sheer intensity of it, your body is more likely to use glycogen DURING the excersise, whereas slow, steady state cardio will use fat reserves. However, the intervals ramp up your metabolism so much, that you end up burning more fat over the course of a day.

Also, understand there is a difference between "HIIT" and "INTERVALS". HIIT stands for high intensity interval training. An example is top speed sprints. A true HIIT session would include bouts of 15 seconds, as hard as possible, followed by 45 seconds of very slow movement to recover. Repeat 10x the first week, then add 2x every week after. Intervals would be 1 min running fast, 1 min running slow. Or, a personal favorite, the Tabata protocol, where you do 20 secs work followed by 10 seconds rest, repeated 8 times. Remember that for HIIT the excersise needs to be so intense that more than 15 seconds is impossible. When you sprint, you're using your large motor units, which offer the greatest potential for growth, but poop out the fastest.

msktyshha
11-23-09, 9:39 pm
go for 3 times a week to start. The real benefit to intervals is the after burn effect. Because of the sheer intensity of it, your body is more likely to use glycogen DURING the excersise, whereas slow, steady state cardio will use fat reserves. However, the intervals ramp up your metabolism so much, that you end up burning more fat over the course of a day.

Also, understand there is a difference between "HIIT" and "INTERVALS". HIIT stands for high intensity interval training. An example is top speed sprints. A true HIIT session would include bouts of 15 seconds, as hard as possible, followed by 45 seconds of very slow movement to recover. Repeat 10x the first week, then add 2x every week after. Intervals would be 1 min running fast, 1 min running slow. Or, a personal favorite, the Tabata protocol, where you do 20 secs work followed by 10 seconds rest, repeated 8 times. Remember that for HIIT the excersise needs to be so intense that more than 15 seconds is impossible. When you sprint, you're using your large motor units, which offer the greatest potential for growth, but poop out the fastest.

ok so about HIIT you said repeat 10x first week, then add 2x every week. So first week I should run or bike for 10 minutes? since going 15 intense and 45 slow adds up to a minute and repeating a minute 10x is 10 minutes, is that what you are trying to say?

BubbyLight
11-24-09, 7:49 am
id say switch it up everytime you do it. once to the treadmill. once do the bike..and even maybe get on the eliptical