PDA

View Full Version : The George Foreman Grill

"6"
04-23-07, 7:30 am
Based on some of the positive feedback I saw on the grill, I would just like to open it up to those of you who have the George Foreman grill. Pros and cons. It seems a hassle to me have to clean it since the is electrical. I also heard if you marinade your meat it turns really charred and black. Thanks bros. I'm thinking of buying the small one.

Nightshift
04-23-07, 7:41 am
I can't remember what make mine is (it's my second grill). No matter what kind of grill you buy, the best advice I can give you is....get one where you can take the grill plates off and wash them!! It's a major pain in the ass otherwise.

billmd1334
04-23-07, 8:08 am
It's a pain to clean... but awesome for cooking stuff quickly... I guess it's just a matter of whether you mind cleaning it or not.

JMC
04-23-07, 9:34 am
It's a pain to clean... but awesome for cooking stuff quickly... I guess it's just a matter of whether you mind cleaning it or not.

What Bill said...
There are some other brands that make similar grills where the plates come off for easier cleaning. The george foreman is awesome for steaks and chicken breast or whatever, but if you have a big one like I do, it's a total ass-ache to clean...

thatoneguy
04-23-07, 9:40 am
i personally take about an hour on a off day to go out to my grill and cook about 20 lbs of chciken.( i eat 3 lbs everyday) if u have the time cook it on a good grill formans are nice but messy. if u do but make sure u get ones with removeable skillets for sure.. like someone had said above.
good luck man

"6"
04-23-07, 1:31 pm
Alright thanks guys. Can't seem to find the one with the removable skillets in my area though. Sigh. It's the good old grill pan for me I guess.

Giant Killer
04-23-07, 1:35 pm
Once you see how much grease is in that little "catch-all" they have, you think about it being still in there if you cooked it some other way. It's gets pretty gnarly even from just one burger. Thats why I love mine.

Titan
04-23-07, 1:39 pm
I love mine. I use it for almost all of my meals. I think everyone should have one.

Everyonedoes
04-23-07, 1:49 pm
I have an older Foreman in wich the grill plates dont come off and its a pain in the ass to clean. It cooks great. My advice is buy one that the grill plates come off it will make cleaning a breeze.

ChrisG
04-23-07, 2:03 pm
Yea I agree with everyone else. I used it and saw the grease pouring out... got so excited I thought I was in a candy shop haha. They are a pain to clean but it shouldn't take you too long unless you have one of the huge ones. To clean mine I just wipe it down with a sponge right after I'm done with it.

brandonA
04-23-07, 2:04 pm
I have one of the new one, with the plate and love it..best x-mas gift every..Thanks mom....and G/K is 100% correct..if you think you have lean meat, toss it on the Foreman and see how much crap cooks out...

-B

Strongarm
04-24-07, 12:10 am
FYI, the only ones I've seen with the grill plates that come off are the larger ones..retail something like 80 bucks i think

eblnyc
04-24-07, 12:18 am
The new ones are 60 bucks.I have used one since the first ones that you could cook only one piece of meat at a time. I think the cleaning part is easy if you use a wet paper towel after you cook when its still hot all the shit comes off mad easy!

MassManiac
04-24-07, 12:21 am
The George Foreman Grill is truly God's gift to the world. I use it everyday and I can't imagine not having one. It makes everything so quick and easy. In reality, makes my lifestyle and eating habits managable. I love my Foreman...

BoulderMan
04-24-07, 2:56 pm
I use mine almost daily. It is the Family size with the split lid, I can do a full dinner, Meat on one side and Grill my veggies on the other half. and the bes thing, You can put on frozen chicken and it cooks it perfect, no thawing. For cleaning, just use some non-abrasive scrubbers, like you would use on a Teflon to not scratch the surface, and it comes off fine.

ChrisG
04-24-07, 3:06 pm
I use mine almost daily. It is the Family size with the split lid, I can do a full dinner, Meat on one side and Grill my veggies on the other half. and the bes thing, You can put on frozen chicken and it cooks it perfect, no thawing. For cleaning, just use some non-abrasive scrubbers, like you would use on a Teflon to not scratch the surface, and it comes off fine.

Yea dude I get the packs of frozen chicken breasts.. just take it straight out of the bag frozen and throw it in the George Foreman.

naturalguy
04-24-07, 3:38 pm
Here is a great tip that I learned:

You don't EVER have to clean your Foreman grill. Thats right.

Here's what you do: put a sheet of aluminum foil under your food and another sheet on top. Cook your food as normal. When it's done just throw out the aluminum foil.

born0withno0soul
04-24-07, 3:47 pm

Here's what you do: put a sheet of aluminum foil under your food and another sheet on top. Cook your food as normal. When it's done just throw out the aluminum foil.

lmao, thats pure laziness. yea dude the foreman is a great investment. it will cost you a little more but if you get the bigger one where the grill plates seperate from the rest of it and you can set the temp it is a great cooking device. ive had mine for about 3 or 4 years now. paid 80 dollars for it but damn its lasted this long so its worth it. i dont like the ones you cant set the temperature with, but thats my preference. gerge foreman does have a grill where the plates remove. nothing to wash but to stick them in the dish washer.

Toni69
04-24-07, 5:00 pm
I am guilty..with all my cooking, I use it too..mainly when traveling. Makes life very easy for me to cook simple meals in hotels and all. I did this last year when dieting for my last show and staying in a hotel. It made life very easy as far as getting my meals in and not worrying about having to eat outside food.

I did hear that they dont last long..dont know how true that is. I guess it depends how often you use it too. I know they are pretty cheap..you can get better quality ones..like cusinart or other brands at Macy's or other shopping centers.

born0withno0soul
04-24-07, 5:08 pm
I am guilty..with all my cooking, I use it too..mainly when traveling. Makes life very easy for me to cook simple meals in hotels and all. I did this last year when dieting for my last show and staying in a hotel. It made life very easy as far as getting my meals in and not worrying about having to eat outside food.

I did hear that they dont last long..dont know how true that is. I guess it depends how often you use it too. I know they are pretty cheap..you can get better quality ones..like cusinart or other brands at Macy's or other shopping centers.

i use mine very often and i have had it a minimum of 3 years. maybe 4 i cant remember.

xb24
04-24-07, 9:11 pm
family size one is ideal, cooks 4 chicken burgers at a time, takes no time to preheat.. solid investment

Travis
04-24-07, 10:26 pm
I use mine alot, I have no problem cleaning it either i think it's just patience.

Arbalest
04-25-07, 1:27 am

LOL.. You're right... But i don't even do that... I just never clean it... I enjoy tasting yesterday's beef on today's chicken! hahaha... i know... gross eh?

Phil800101
04-25-07, 3:12 am
Definitely a solid investment. Easy to use, easy to clean, and saves time. I have one of the older small ones in my apartment here at school. It's been used alot and it still works great. I especially like to use it to toast sandwiches. You can make an awesome grilled cheese sandwich on a Foreman.

"6"
04-25-07, 1:20 pm

HAHAHA LOL. This is pure gold right here. Ima run out to buy it NOWWW!! Seriously.

karmazon
04-25-07, 1:24 pm
I got one for free, it's very convenient.

Punisher
04-25-07, 1:34 pm
LOL.. You're right... But i don't even do that... I just never clean it... I enjoy tasting yesterday's beef on today's chicken! hahaha... i know... gross eh?

Haha it gives the food more flavor that way

MobiusRenoire
04-25-07, 5:39 pm
I agree with everyone that says the George Foreman is God's gift to people who eat meat and don't wanna mess with skillets and crap.

My secret to cleaning the grilll is to wipe it down with a wet papertowel immediately after taking the meat off, while it's still blistering hot. Definitely like the foil idea, though!

PERSISTANCE
02-06-09, 11:59 pm
Throw some black angus on it, add salt, pepper, and Tonys Chachures seasoning with some Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce and I officially love bulking!

SQUAT or DIE!
02-07-09, 12:05 am
Throw some black angus on it, add salt, pepper, and Tonys Chachures seasoning with some Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce and I officially love bulking!

LOL ive eaten the same thing, and must agree....

PERSISTANCE
02-07-09, 12:08 am
Man you can cook chicken, steak, burgers, and hot dogs all for like 8 minutes haha

SQUAT or DIE!
02-07-09, 12:11 am
its a very versatile tool... lil packs of filet mignons from wally world- AMAZING

Little Z
02-07-09, 12:12 am
R.I.P. to my George.. was a sad sad day brothers.. Still gotta get a new one..

Pizzalamp
02-07-09, 12:20 am
hot dogs come out great on em

dominate77
02-07-09, 1:09 am
i don't like anything i cook on it but it sure is convenient as hell and i cook 2 days worth of steak on it in like 15-20 minutes

JH34PG
06-17-09, 5:11 pm
i need some ideas for this please...

LegendKillerJosh
06-18-09, 1:16 am
It takes me 2 seconds to clean mine, I set it up hanging over the sink, scrub it with a sponge and rinse it with the hose. 2 seconds.

LegendKillerJosh
06-18-09, 1:19 am
family size one is ideal, cooks 4 chicken burgers at a time, takes no time to preheat.. solid investment

Actually it cooks shit better if you preheat it 5 minutes. I've become quite good on the Foreman grill, you just gotta learn what it looks like on the outside to get it good inside. I can get my steaks perfectly medium on that biotch. Burgers turn out great on the foreman grill too. So does bacon.

scrawn2brawn
03-05-10, 6:56 pm
Do any of you guys use this peice of cooking equipment? Does it make the food taste funny? Does it make the food taste like it's grilled? Thinking about getting one and want to know if it would be worth the investment.

Go Away
03-05-10, 9:15 pm
i fuck with it mainly cause it heats up real quick and it drains a lot of the fat from things you cook.
chicken, obviously, isnt gonna be affected much...
and i wouldnt go as far to say it tastes like using an outdoor charcoal or propane grill, but its convenient as hell and its fast. i cook my chicken as im getting ready for work in the morning, so i plug it in, spray some pam on it, let it heat while im boiling water or nuking potatoes and then throw the meat on there.
about 20-30 min its a wrap - chicken and rice and/or potatoes.
can cook about two pounds on the one i have. not sure what kind it is... my wife owned it before we started dating.
foreman grills are dope, but not a substitute for the real thing - just a convenience.
i havent even experimented with it or read a foreman cookbook. i just know the light goes out when its heated up, comes on when you load it with food, goes off when its finished. easy.
hope this helps a bit. i dont think they are that expensive either...could prob find one on craigslist, a yard sale or ebay for mad cheap...especially the older models (if they still come out with them, i dont know)
if you end up getting one, let me know what you think.
peace.

jandirigma
03-06-10, 10:54 pm
It sure is handy when you're too lazy to use a charcoal grill. It doesn't dry up your meat as you might think. The Foreman grill heats up pretty quickly too.

Goliathus
03-07-10, 3:00 am
the newer foremans have adjustable heat settings as well
i use mine all the time

Girevik 69
03-07-10, 4:48 pm
I think I need to invest in one of these things.

jeff00z28
03-08-10, 2:21 am
at 20$ it wasn't rly much to invest, actually got it for 14$ on sale. but i use it for a steak, talapia, ground beef and eggs (tilt the grill and make egg patties that are good for eggs). some stuff is still better off baking, like chicken, pork chops etc

Girevik 69
03-08-10, 9:46 am
There seems to be quite a few different models to choose from, too.

smith06
03-08-10, 1:14 pm
Fast and convenient.. but doesn't taste like charcoal or propane.

deanna7272
03-08-10, 2:22 pm
There are several versions, sizes, and prices, but it's definitely something worth getting, just like Smith06 stated... Fast and convenient...

Goliathus
03-09-10, 5:13 pm
if you know how to marinade and season meats in any fashion, your food will be good when made on a foreman

I mean I just made a 12oz chicken breast in like 5 minutes..

AJP1
08-19-11, 10:36 am
Started cooking my chicken this way cause it's faster and I can cook a nice size amount.

Only thing is sometimes I over cook it and it's a bit tough. Have not mastered this grill yet.
Cooks way faster than oven.

Anyhow does my chicken lose any nutritional value?

AJP1
08-19-11, 11:13 pm

Damn good idea.

Just seems to take a bit longer to cook your food and the food sits in the grease and does not drain easily.

Mickey
08-22-11, 5:58 pm
great for winter or when you just dont feel like firing up a grill. i have to new one with the removable plates, and while they are a helluva lot easier to clean than the old design, theyre not a quick clean either. a little tip ive picked up along the way, keep the thing plugged in (so as to keep the charred shit on it from drying out and being next to impossible to get off) and use a wet paper towel to wipe as much as you can off.

1983MEENMAN
08-23-11, 1:09 am
Another alternative is the Rocket Grill, used it overseas. Its like 100 bucks, and 20 bucks for bag refills, needs little to no cleaning. Put the meat in the special bag put it on the hooks then two grill plates compress its done in 5 minutes then the juice collect at bottom of the bag simple and pain less. No I am not endorsing it, ha.

AJP1
08-23-11, 2:10 am
Another alternative is the Rocket Grill, used it overseas. Its like 100 bucks, and 20 bucks for bag refills, needs little to no cleaning. Put the meat in the special bag put it on the hooks then two grill plates compress its done in 5 minutes then the juice collect at bottom of the bag simple and pain less. No I am not endorsing it, ha.

Sold I'm the USA?

Jay
08-23-11, 4:13 am
Off the topic but I just picked up the magic bullet..

Bruiser
08-23-11, 6:40 am

How is that man? I've been thinking about getting one. I use a cheap little Black and Decker food processor when I make guacamole and salsa. I've been thinking about gettinng one of the Magic Bullets.

Aggression
08-23-11, 8:55 am
I used the Foreman Grill while in college. I'd set it up on the window sill and cook my chicken in my tiny ass dorm room, pushing the smoke out the window so that I wouldn't get written up for it, haha. But I haven't used it since college. Personally, I don't like it. It dries out the meat if you don't slice 'em real thin. And I can put much more food on my actual grill out back. I'd rather go outside in the middle of January and grill some quality chicken/steaks as opposed to using the Foreman Grill. Plus, it stinks up the house.

Mr. Dead
08-23-11, 11:49 am
Personally, I don't like it. It dries out the meat if you don't slice 'em real thin. And I can put much more food on my actual grill out back. I'd rather go outside in the middle of January and grill some quality chicken/steaks as opposed to using the Foreman Grill. Plus, it stinks up the house.

Agreed.

Bruiser
08-23-11, 12:16 pm
Fuck the Foreman Grill. Take the time to fire up the REAL grill (preferably charcoal) and cook your food (a few days worth) at once. Everyone says how the Foreman saves time, bullshit. By the time you cook 1-2 pieces of chix,etc every single time, it adds up fast. Heat up the REAL grill and cook a bunch of food at once. You've got better tasting food and you'll probably save time in the long run. I live in Wisconsin and have stood in a foot of snow and ice to cook on my charcoal grill. There's nothing better.

Aggression
08-23-11, 1:15 pm
I live in Wisconsin and have stood in a foot of snow and ice to cook on my charcoal grill. There's nothing better.

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt133/harch33/IMAG0014.jpg

pushin weight
08-23-11, 1:36 pm

My wife has one of these but we dont use it to cook with.......:) :) :)

Bruiser
08-23-11, 1:40 pm
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt133/harch33/IMAG0014.jpg

Hells yeah. That's exactly what I'm talking about!

MRmichael.hooker
08-23-11, 1:55 pm

How is that man? I've been thinking about getting one. I use a cheap little Black and Decker food processor when I make guacamole and salsa. I've been thinking about gettinng one of the Magic Bullets.

The magic bullet is fuckin awesome. We bought one to make my sons baby food, and i use it all the time. Really good for chopping/dicing stuff and for juicing fruits

zachlloyd
08-24-11, 1:20 pm
You need to clean your george foreman?!?! I never clean my outdoor grill so I figured why clean this one.

Jay
08-24-11, 1:50 pm
My wife has one of these but we dont use it to cook with.......:) :) :)

Haha. I got a tip from one of B Rowe's videos and plan on using it to chop up chicken/beef and the occassional shake.

Jay
08-24-11, 1:50 pm
Haha. I got a tip from one of B Rowe's videos and plan on using it to chop up chicken/beef and the occassional shake.

Oh.. and to try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKeYQwmDOJo

LegendKillerJosh
08-24-11, 2:41 pm
The magic bullet is fuckin awesome. We bought one to make my sons baby food, and i use it all the time. Really good for chopping/dicing stuff and for juicing fruits

Really? Maybe it is different now cause my friend got one about 4-5 years ago when it first came out and the thing sucked like any other infomercial product, it couldn't even dice up avacadoe and tomato for guac

MRmichael.hooker
08-24-11, 2:45 pm
Really? Maybe it is different now cause my friend got one about 4-5 years ago when it first came out and the thing sucked like any other infomercial product, it couldn't even dice up avacadoe and tomato for guac

maybe it was the older ones that blew, not sure. We use it every morning for fruits or veggies