PDA

View Full Version : Water retention...

Sambocephus
04-23-07, 8:39 pm
i have two questions to ask...

a) anyone got any tips on haw to reduce water retention? besides supplements. i want to try some different things while im waiting for payday so i can get AnimalCuts...lol.

and

b) will tanning aid in achieving that tight stretched out skin? ive got good size, but i look soft.i want my skin tighter, and need advice.

any help is appreciated.

brandonA
04-23-07, 8:42 pm
I can only anwser question one...the more you drink the more you shed..Drink lots of water. foods low in sodium also...

-B

k1usa
04-23-07, 8:48 pm
Great point brandona...drink more...shed more...agree with you 100%

Be careful with tanning ...no matter how you play it...to get a darker tan...you have to "radiate" or be radiated...so will it make the skin tighter...well....working out...good cardio...and...push-a ways...yea...its a great move when you want to cut up...you push away from the eating table....

Ironone
04-23-07, 8:49 pm
drink lots of water the more you drink the less the body holds a gallon a day is what is recomended.

brandonA
04-23-07, 8:50 pm
I just remember that radio contest gone bad....so there is a limit to the amount you should drink...gallon maybe gallon and a half over the course of the day...

-B

Sambocephus
04-23-07, 8:50 pm
ok, im drinking 1.5 gallons of water per day, but i think the sodium thing might help me.

oh yeah, im on a cutting diet already, i just have a problem area.....i thought it was just fat, but i think ive realized im just holding water there....

thanks guys.

Ricky P
04-23-07, 8:51 pm
Yeah I agree with B in both aspects. You've definitely got to drink, that's essential.

I highly recommend that you eat foods low in sodium or just attempt to cut sodium completely out of your diet. Now some things you eat will have small amounts of sodium, but there's no need to add table salt. Sodium will without a doubt retain water probably more than anything. Once you cut that out of your diet as best you can, you'll notice more vascularity.

Deezy
04-23-07, 8:58 pm
I agree wit you guys also. Heres a thread that should help you out a lil more...

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=5198&highlight=sodium

Jeff the Repper
04-23-07, 9:14 pm
I agree with everybody here, drink lots or water and reduce your sodium intake you can even go as far as going to baking soda toothpaste, most toothpastes contain Sodium Fluoride which most pros avoid pre contest. There are also some topical creams that can help you if you want to go that far like Thiomucase or BodySculptor.

Sacrifice88
07-28-07, 1:54 pm
I'm not really familiar with how to do it. And how do you tell what's water retention and what's fat?

Sacrifice

Lowdown5
07-28-07, 2:14 pm
I'm not really familiar with how to do it. And how do you tell what's water retention and what's fat?

Sacrifice

It is hard to tell which is which just by look or feel. Bodyfat analysis can tell you how much fat you are carrying.

Animal Cuts is great to rid the body of excess water. Also, drinking more clean, pure water will cause you to retain less water as well.

stumblin54
07-29-07, 1:25 am
LD's on the dot, as usual. And to rid or water, you have to drink a lot more of it. Sounds backwards, but it works.

Stumblin

o2
07-29-07, 1:02 pm
i feel like creatine causes alot of water retention ?

Lowdown5
07-29-07, 1:04 pm

It does. It pulls water into the muscle and gives it a larger appearance. When taking creatine always up the amount of water you are drinking. I would say add an extra 1/4 to 1/2 gallon a day if using creatine.

Giant Killer
07-29-07, 1:09 pm

Another thing to remember, is cheap, low quality creatine will cause the "bad" kind of water retention you are referring to. They often have impurities and excess sodium in them. It's sounds like a marketing ploy but I was using Walmart creatine, and when I switched over to a Creapure product I could tell the difference immensely. I haven't used Pump, but the creatine in that is quality, and I have used the Storm/ST combo, which is also high quality.

Joker-Roo
07-29-07, 2:01 pm
Cuts pulls the water from under the skin, while creatine puts it in the muscle correct? Would that harm in showing muscle fibre?

Andru

Lowdown5
07-29-07, 2:42 pm
Cuts pulls the water from under the skin, while creatine puts it in the muscle correct? Would that harm in showing muscle fibre?

Andru

I would think it would improve muscle definition, but that is a great question.

Ricky P
07-29-07, 3:10 pm
I'm usually always taking creatine. I took cuts last month and got amazing results. My weight went down from about 206 to 198 and I started seeing a lot more definition around my shoulders and my arms.

Upstatebuilder07
07-29-07, 3:49 pm
watch your sodium intake, high sodium foods will cause the body to retain more water.

Lowdown5
07-29-07, 4:53 pm
watch your sodium intake, high sodium foods will cause the body to retain more water.

Great point.

Sacrifice88
07-30-07, 8:58 am
I drink about 3-4 gallons of water a day, simply because I like water. And I don't add any salt to my food, I eat low sodium foods and I use CEE creatine. Is this good?

o2
07-30-07, 10:54 am
Ohhhh i see. I didnt know creatine isnt always creatine, lol. On off days from the gym I use vitamine shoppe brand creatine. On training days I uses storm/torrent. Maybe I should quit using the cheap stuff...

flamey40
07-30-07, 11:08 am
Ohhhh i see. I didnt know creatine isnt always creatine, lol. On off days from the gym I use vitamine shoppe brand creatine. On training days I uses storm/torrent. Maybe I should quit using the cheap stuff...

yea i use the gnc brand of creatine mainly because between food and supplements i can't afford it all cuz' i'm a college student and i have a fixed income. obviously torrent is good creatine but what about the vitamine shop creatine and the gnc brand of creatine monohydrate?

lovepain
08-13-07, 10:30 am
One thing I've never quite understood, and never quite found an answer to is water retention. What causes it, how to prevent it, and how to shed excess...

Vinny G
08-13-07, 10:56 am
One thing I've never quite understood, and never quite found an answer to is water retention. What causes it, how to prevent it, and how to shed excess...

When you dont drink water or enough of it....your body will panic and look for it.
When it does that, it pulls water from the muscle, and store it between your muscle and skin.

after that...you look puffy and fat.

but if you drink a gallon a day, you will have full muscles. when you drink water....your body does NOT hold water

but just in general you should drink a gallon a day

krazyassmexican
08-13-07, 10:59 am
yup like vinny says
the more water u drink
the less u will store

lovepain
08-13-07, 12:18 pm
Good deal. Everyone else out there's gone into all the science behind it, that was pretty straight up, ha. Thanks guys.

krazyassmexican
08-13-07, 12:28 pm
Good deal. Everyone else out there's gone into all the science behind it, that was pretty straight up, ha. Thanks guys.

yup i would recomend cuts too
works great

Testpolska
08-14-07, 10:21 pm
As for over the counter things to buy to help drop water, look into Dandilion root extract.

kicker
04-22-08, 9:22 pm
Hey bros had a question about water retention around the gut. I keep hearing everyone around hear talking about it, and the way to get rid of it is to drink a lot of water. Just doesn't seem to make sense to me and was wondering if one of you all could explain why that is ??

MassMan
04-22-08, 9:27 pm
Hey bros had a question about water retention around the gut. I keep hearing everyone around hear talking about it, and the way to get rid of it is to drink a lot of water. Just doesn't seem to make sense to me and was wondering if one of you all could explain why that is ??

water retention occurs when your body stores water intracellularlly (correct me if I'm wrong) due to the lack of water. It also occurs when too much sodium is present. The body retains water because it thinks that it is running low on supply and sucks it in from your organs. The only way to get rid of excess water is to drink more water and reduce the sodium in your diet.

k1usa
04-22-08, 9:30 pm
water retention is an interesting thing....one thing my honey and I just found out is with her complaining about always feeling bloated ...found out she had based on urine test a high aomunt of sodium in her....so..we caught it...ajjusted the diet...I cook for her now...and still train her 3 days a week...and after 2 weeks..she is now feeling great and fitting into clothes that were tight....so..look at the sodium intake...good info on the web but bottom line...no more than 1500 MGs a day....and believe me..when you take a gander at the sodium in what we eat...you sill just shit.....its huge and needs to be cut down....the soduim will help you retian H2O bro....so...just a thought..hope this helps......let us know how this goes....

kicker
04-22-08, 10:08 pm
Knew I was going to get some good responses and i'm sure i'm not the only one who struggles with this reasoning. That was the only thing that I could think of would be sodium. Thanks a lot already for the good advice bros.

houseofpain
04-22-08, 10:11 pm
Bodybuilding is full of ironies. When you diet, your getting smaller but you actually look bigger. This is no exception. The more water you drink, the more you piss out. The more you piss out, the less water you have in your body. Think of it as cleansing your system and as a means of flushing out any water that is stuck in fat and muscle cells.

zanderfever
04-22-08, 10:19 pm
This is interesting, i've been curious about this but never really went searching for an answer. Thanks

kicker
04-22-08, 10:25 pm
Just calculated up my total and i was at 2140 mgs for the day. Knew i was going to be high since i had a a turkey brat thats 450 other than that I'm pretty good I can live with out those things just an easy 20 grams of protein.

Nihility
04-22-08, 10:36 pm
ya this is a big focus i need to have for my cut coming up - lower sodium

my current diet consist of about 2grams, i want to get it down to 1200-1500 mg, which shouldnt be too hard considering ill be cutting out about 1,000 cals from my diet when i do :P

kicker
04-23-08, 7:32 pm
Wow want to thank you guys a lot already feeling a big difference, especially during and after the workout. Got about 1 gallon of h20 in me plus another 1/2 gallon of crystal light peach tea, which is only an extra 40 cals. Easily will get in 2 gallons total of liquids in me by the end of the day.

mchik
04-23-08, 8:48 pm
Unless your cutting/getting ready for a show why worry about retaining water?

msktyshha
02-23-10, 6:26 pm
ok so body fat can make you look fat and bloaty, but what about water retention, it can also make you look smooth and bloaty. So how to get rid of water retention?? Like if I get a puffy look and lets say water retention is the cause of it, so what should I do drink more water? or less. i heard many body builders restrict their fluid intake as well as sodium in order to get more definition for a show. help guys

armyguard
02-23-10, 6:34 pm
for example purposes lets say you have an event to go to on sat and you wanna look "trim" per say (no water retention) your daily water consumption would be as such

Monday: 2-3 gallons
Tuesday: 2-3 gallons
Wednesday: 2-3 gallons
thursday: 2-3 gallons
Friday: total water consumption should be around half a gallon and no more fluid after 4-5 oclock pm sat wake up and you should see some pretty good results. That is if your bf is low enough if not then water retention isnt your problem

Also on friday some cardio to get you sweating is also affective

Birdman
02-23-10, 6:35 pm
the easiest way to prevent water retention is, ironically, to drink more water. the body seems ass backwards sometimes.

Max-Angle
02-23-10, 7:01 pm
for example purposes lets say you have an event to go to on sat and you wanna look "trim" per say (no water retention) your daily water consumption would be as such

Monday: 2-3 gallons
Tuesday: 2-3 gallons
Wednesday: 2-3 gallons
thursday: 2-3 gallons
Friday: total water consumption should be around half a gallon and no more fluid after 4-5 oclock pm sat wake up and you should see some pretty good results. That is if your bf is low enough if not then water retention isnt your problem

Also on friday some cardio to get you sweating is also affective

maybe a dumb question but can't you get water poisioning from that much?

armyguard
02-23-10, 7:08 pm
no not a dumb question it is alot of water( many many trips to the bathroom) but i get up monday-friday at 5 oclock am and go to bed around 10-11 pm so i get around 18-20 hrs for all this drinking. me personally i felt fine consuming this much water, but everyone is different

Max-Angle
02-23-10, 7:15 pm
no not a dumb question it is alot of water( many many trips to the bathroom) but i get up monday-friday at 5 oclock am and go to bed around 10-11 pm so i get around 18-20 hrs for all this drinking. me personally i felt fine consuming this much water, but everyone is different

Well im just saying cuz i weigh in the 180s range and was wondering how that would work since im pretty sure im carrying a good amount of water weight

armyguard
02-23-10, 8:46 pm
try the method listed above. also you might want to check your daily meal plan for hidden carbs and possibly high sodium as these will absorb and hold on to water. but if your bf is low enough this technique would give you the "dry" defined look

PORTERHOUSE
02-23-10, 10:08 pm
Aren't you on a keto diet?

Alk
02-23-10, 10:11 pm
Telling a 16 year old to drink 2 to 3 gallons a day is ridiculous. He shouldn't even be worrying about that stuff right now.

armyguard
02-24-10, 5:40 am
Just sharing my knowledge with him i never told him to do the method but if he wished to try it out that would be fine and he woudnt get so called water posining

armyguard
02-24-10, 5:40 am
and yes debian im on a keto diet

IcedAbz
02-24-10, 11:09 am
Don't some people use diuretics ? Curious...

C.Coronato
02-24-10, 11:14 am
Your not going to see any difference in doing any water drop methods, unless you are at sub 5% or so BF. I have done 3 gallons of water and i thought i was going to die. I would not recommend it to anyone, unless they are about to get on stage or have a photo shoot, there is no need to be cutting water like that for no reason at all.

GJN5002
02-24-10, 11:26 am
Your not going to see any difference in doing any water drop methods, unless you are at sub 5% or so BF. I have done 3 gallons of water and i thought i was going to die. I would not recommend it to anyone, unless they are about to get on stage or have a photo shoot, there is no need to be cutting water like that for no reason at all.

solid advice. 2 gallons is hard enough, I cant imagine three. In general drink a gallon a day and that should be enough to prevent excessive bloat, its also dependent upon your diet too. If you have a lot of salt and carbs you might be a little more bloated.

100jan
02-24-10, 11:58 am
the easiest way to prevent water retention is, ironically, to drink more water. the body seems ass backwards sometimes.

This!

More water - less water retention.

msktyshha
02-24-10, 2:29 pm
This!

More water - less water retention.

thanks, that's what I wanted to know. that what causes water retention drinking more water or drinking less water.

PORTERHOUSE
02-24-10, 2:56 pm
thanks, that's what I wanted to know. that what causes water retention drinking more water or drinking less water.

Ironic isn't it? This sport is full of ironies haha.

msktyshha
02-24-10, 10:20 pm
Ironic isn't it? This sport is full of ironies haha.

Yes sure is, I knew this from before that drink more water, and your body will hold less, but I recently found out that bodybuilders restrict their water/fluid intake before a show to look more shredded. what's the science behind that?