PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol & Bodybuilding

Pages : [1] 2

whiteluda14
01-16-07, 9:26 pm
ok, so im just getting into the diet thing, well ive been on all tuna for a couple months and i turn 21 in like 13 days, and i just wanted to know what everyone thought about alcohol? im not much of a drinker anyways but how will it affect my body and my lifting if i drank from time to time since i will be 21? thanks guys

Gainer65
01-16-07, 10:23 pm
Bodybuilding and alcohol don't mix.It screws up your diet,it screws up your sleep patterns,it screws up your motivation and throws your body out of whack.If you can,avoid it.

BigNate
01-16-07, 10:57 pm
Bodybuilding and alcohol don't mix.It screws up your diet,it screws up your sleep patterns,it screws up your motivation and throws your body out of whack.If you can,avoid it.

I couldn't say it better myself. Don't get me wrong... I'll still have a beer or two or a whiskey and diet, but I've noticed a great change in how I feel and respond in the gym w/o drinking.

You're young bro, enjoy it... just remember it all comes with a price.

BradPDX
01-16-07, 11:02 pm
Do it seldom and with moderation if at all. Will definitely impact workouts but I will do a glass of red wine or sip some good vodka or tequilla once in awhile. Never touch sugary mixed drinks at all.

ItsSteveBlack
01-16-07, 11:05 pm
I agree with everything thats been said so far, it throws your body all out of whack not to mention how much it dehydrates muscle fiber.. I currently am a junior in college and im not going to say i dont drink because i do, i just try and keep it to a minimum.

Black

LuvsThePain
01-16-07, 11:07 pm
What's your goal? Whatever your goal is in the gym, getting drunk will only prolong you getting there, "if you get there at all". I would reccommend a little every now and then. (In moderation). Red wine at night is actually very good for you and contains a lot of antioxidants. Beer however contains nothing but junk calories. I still drink beer, but only a couple a week, if that.

ironshaolin
01-16-07, 11:37 pm
Beer is by far my favorite beverage.(next to muscle milk) However, I have cut down considerably in the last year, and have noticed my gains have gotten better without alcohol. I believe in living life to the fullest, so you need to endulge every once in a while, but I've lowered it to having a full 6 pack every other month. Then, I might have 2 or 3 total for the next month. Keep in mind, I don't compete or anything, but if I did I probably wouldn't drink at all. I know plenty of lifters who drink, and plenty who don't and I can say the ones who don't are bgger and stronger.

TYEster
01-16-07, 11:42 pm
FYI red wine and any wine is just like grape juice, it contains sugar/carbs unless otherwise noted on the bottle.

Same goes for beer.

However, I have to say, alcohol must effect people differently in terms of reaching their physical goals. I see guys with better than average, or even GREAT bodies, yet drink like fish. Then others, like myself, feel like total crap after just a few, and throws everything off. Personally, I don't drink what so ever. I used to, and got tired of being hungover.

Just be sure if you do drink, keep the water intake high so you don't dehydrate.(and be safe when turning 21, designated drivers are great!)

whiteluda14
01-16-07, 11:48 pm
thanks everybody for the info, im sure i will have some drinks when i turn 21 and go out with my friends but i dont see myself drinking every single weekend, im going to be coaching baseball and going to school at a junior college so im going to be busy i think, but when i get the chances i will have a good time...but thanks for all that put in some great info!!

gsb239
01-17-07, 3:44 pm
If ur gonna drink hard, mix with diet soda. No sugars and I think you get less of a hangover.

GoldieLocks
01-17-07, 4:09 pm
thanks everybody for the info, im sure i will have some drinks when i turn 21 and go out with my friends but i dont see myself drinking every single weekend, im going to be coaching baseball and going to school at a junior college so im going to be busy i think, but when i get the chances i will have a good time...but thanks for all that put in some great info!!

A good rule of thumb if you do decide to wonder off the wagon is to suck down a glass or a small bottle of water ( 12-24 oz.) after all drinks. Wont mess with the alcohol, but will keep you hydrated, and you will have a dramatically decreased chance of those dredded hangovers. Another rule of thumb? Stay clear of the booze, and nothing good happens after 1am, so get your des.driver to split before closing time.

Fezzik
01-17-07, 6:12 pm
Drinking can screw up hydration levels and depletes glutamine pretty badly. Drinking depresses your CNS, thus retarding your recovery, and as a habit will lower your testosterone levels. That's the 'official' word at least.

However, I have to say, alcohol must effect people differently in terms of reaching their physical goals. I see guys with better than average, or even GREAT bodies, yet drink like fish. Then others, like myself, feel like total crap after just a few, and throws everything off. Personally, I don't drink what so ever. I used to, and got tired of being hungover.

That being said, it IS weird how people respond to alcohol. Some of the biggest alcoholics I know are the best athletes (one in particular comes to mind that will be a first round NFL draft pick). I really think these guys are the exceptions to the rule though, with just fantastic genetics. They are amazing despite their drinking.

If any, do it in moderation. It can only hurt you.

JUGGERNAUT
01-17-07, 6:19 pm
Yup, not too many positives at all to drinking, your body basically tries to push it out like a toxin and stresses the body. Besides, with all the water we drink in the course of a day/week do you really want to piss more of it out and dehydrate?...not me. Water= Muscle

Joe Pas
01-17-07, 6:21 pm
if your cutting drinking shouldnt be done ...but if your not a few here and there isnt going to hurt you unless you go over board and get hammered ...because its going to dehydrate you and thats not good especially if your trying to build muscle ...also think about this ...your liver has to process all that alcohol which can be harmful is excess ...and it also has to process all the supplements you are taking while you train and putting alot of strain on it ...me myself i love beer ...but i do it in moderation ...have fun just dont go nuts lol ...

TheNaturalG
01-17-07, 9:04 pm
"Alcohol is a carbohydrate, but doesn't convert to glucose like most carbs do, but is converted into a fatty acid and is consequently more likely to store as fat. So if you drink alcohol and exercise, it puts fat metabolism on "hold"."

"Being the most abused drug in the United States, alcohol affects many people's lives out there. It is a Central Nervous System (CNS) depressant and it has the lowest effective dose:lethal dose ratio. This means that there is very little difference in the amount of alcohol that will get you drunk and the amount that will kill you. The reason more don't die from alcohol, is because the stomach begins to reject it by vomiting (yum!)."

"When it comes to your workouts or athletic competition, alcohol impairs balance and coordination since it affects that CNS. Strength and power are also affected since it dehydrates the body, making muscle and other tissue unable to work optimally."

karthik
01-18-07, 12:18 am
Does it really matter if alcohol does not affect performance? In today's society everyone seems to be more concerned about whether something will affect their looks or performance more than their health. I know a lot of people with fast metabolisms who eat a "balanced diet" of cheeseburgers, french fries, pizza, and coke and chase it down with tons of alcohol and other recreational drugs. These particular individuals may not lose their abs, veins, good looks, or athletic ability but they often pay the price 10-20 years down the road. With that said there is nothing wrong with drinking in "moderation" on special occasions. Just make sure that you do that with the right kind of people. If your peers are the type who think you are a nerd or not cool because you don't drink that much or don't drink at all that day, they are best to be avoided.

doomsdaylover
01-21-07, 7:26 am
To all of the brothers of Iron, who here drinks? I am 197, 9% bf and I drink like a fish. I love weights, lifting, cardio and dieting but...I need the partying and the women and the johnnie walker. Am I too crazy?

christhemuss
01-21-07, 8:45 am
Don't wanna be an asshole but....lose the alc. Think of what it does to your liver and most of all, when alcohol goes in to your body it transform into catabolism which is the stuff that breaks your muscle down and away...But it only kills if you have large amount's of alcohol in your body...
Mabye it's just horse$... what i'm saying but that's what i was told..

RedIron 392
01-21-07, 11:22 am
To all of the brothers of Iron, who here drinks? I am 197, 9% bf and I drink like a fish. I love weights, lifting, cardio and dieting but...I need the partying and the women and the johnnie walker. Am I too crazy?

So what's the point? If the way you live your life makes you happy why do do you want to know who else lives that way? As long as your drinking doesn't fuck someone elses life up, then get after it. It all comes down to what you want most, you can't have both. I did the same thing and I pissed away my chance to hit my potential. I thought chasing that Neon Rainbow was going to make me happy. The real problem was that I am an alcoholic, once I start drinking I can't stop. I hit bottom eleven years ago and haven't had a drink since. My life is a hell of a lot better now. You might take a look at why you drink like a fish and what happens once you start. It might save you and others a lot of grief. At my age I'll never get to where G Diesel,Big Al,Vinny and all the other long ball hitters are, but I can be the best I can at this point in my life becouse now I am free to live the hardcore life. It's your choice, mediocrity or glory.

Later

P.S. A friend of mine that never got clean and sober ate a bullet new years day. The weak die and the strong go to the wall.

ghost
01-21-07, 12:06 pm
i quit drinking almost 8 months ago...havent touched a drop since. all that shit does is fuck up your work outs/

Wolf Man CHG
01-21-07, 12:25 pm
saturday night i go out......yeah i'll drink....but i don't over do it....i make sure to drink plenty of water afterwards too

IronLeague
01-21-07, 2:08 pm
I drank all the way up until I was 22.. After my first show I decided to get serious. I might have a couple drinks on new years eve, but even then I feel really guilty.. Fact is if you drink you will never get to your full potential. If you are happy at 197, then by all means keep drinking the poison.

As far as I'm concerned there is no room for it in my quest to be a freak, I'm a competitive bodybuilder first!

Respect,
IronLeague

BeastofBurden
01-21-07, 3:47 pm
It's tough no doubt, when you are around that atmosphere of partying and drinkin all the time, your gonna want to drink somethin to have fun as well when your out. but you gotta remind what your doing this for, and how committed you are to this game.. so I'll ask this for you to think about; how much do you got invested in this game to just piss it all away?

karthik
01-21-07, 4:34 pm
It really depends on how you do it. If you plan your drinks around special occasions like new year's day or a birthday celebration you can drink and it shouldn't affect you as long as you do it in moderation. However, if you insist on "drinking like a fish" every weekend, or more per week, I can assure you that it will affect your results regardless of how much of a genetic freak you are.
Another thing to watch out for are your peers who may also insist on "drinking like a fish." They too will lead you the wrong way if they don't think you're cool or in the "in" crowd if you do decide to implement the changes in your lifestyle.

gottalift
01-21-07, 5:42 pm
I choose not to , but I think what ever you do in moderation is ok, for me I think it hinders my recovery ability.

NickSP
01-21-07, 8:35 pm
I don't care if my friends or whoever does it (as long as it's not overdone) but I don't drink a drop, period. And no I still won't when I hit 21.

xb24
01-21-07, 8:51 pm
I believe in cutting out the booze, partying every now and again at the bars I deal with but I usually drive the boyz around.

Cru
01-21-07, 8:59 pm
that stuff will shoot your testosterone levels down quicker than anything else man. you can't be an anabolic animal AND a party animal.

addiction543
01-21-07, 9:02 pm
i drink maybe twice a year. it a hard choice to make sometimes but you really got to keep your eyes on the prize, a night of drinking and partying will wipe any benefit of the last few days of lifting in my mind. the choice is yours though

naturalguy
01-21-07, 9:07 pm
Think of it this way, drinking is not going to help you reach your bodybuilding goals. If your ok with making that sacrifice then go ahead.

moonboy10
01-21-07, 9:36 pm
getting shitfaced ruins my appetite the next day and even a few days after. It will effect you for a whole week whether you notice it or not. Especially workouts. to sum it up though sippin back on grandpas cough medicine probably won't hurt if you do it in moderation, but when you're out drinkin with your buds -- your competition is at the gym pounding his chest or getting the best leg workout of his life.

rockyIV
01-22-07, 10:19 am
If you're not training for a competition, I don't see anything wrong with the occasional drink with the boys, but keep it on a sane level. Drinking in excess every night is just pointless if you're serious about your workouts.

LOFT
01-22-07, 7:59 pm
getting shitfaced ruins my appetite the next day and even a few days after. It will effect you for a whole week whether you notice it or not. Especially workouts. to sum it up though sippin back on grandpas cough medicine probably won't hurt if you do it in moderation, but when you're out drinkin with your buds -- your competition is at the gym pounding his chest or getting the best leg workout of his life.

Right on bro

Standing_Guard
01-22-07, 8:56 pm
I was soured to alc early and thank God I was. There are times when I will have few, but for some reason I always regret it in the morning, It takes a while to get through me and during that time I dont wanna do shit. I saw to each their own, but if it was me, I would find a few friends who wouldn't mind partying in the pump (if that even makes sense)

Liftbig21
01-22-07, 9:02 pm
I just turned 21 and you know what i did for my birthday?
i went to work then went to the gym...didnt have a drop of alchi all my friends say they are hardcore and shit but are they in the gym on a friday night?No their out gettin smashed which is whatever,to each is own.but i refuse to drink ive lost some buddys to it and ive seen the ugly face of it...sure ive been drunk,and i hated it.you wake up the next morning dehydrated and your body looks like shit,is it worth it for a little buzz?to some yes,to me? shit no.if i never drank again id be fine with it...theres gonna be temptations fellas,thats life..but if you want it bad enough youll keep your eyes on the prize and make the sacrifices youve been makin to get as far as youve gotten...some call me a loser,a hermit,a party pooper..i welcome all those names cuz i have a goal in mind and in the words of Wrath "when push comes to shove you gotta listen to your own voice..and if anyone tells your different,you tell him to shove it up his ass"....and thats what ive been doin

Strength and Honor Men

ShaqFu
01-23-07, 11:54 pm
At college, besides work and chicks, I can either drink or lift. I made the decision at the beginning of this year to step it up and change. Training, diet and living became the important things, and drinking accomplishes absolutely nothing and hinders and potential gains. You feel like shit the next morning, you miss meals because you're sleeping off a hangover and the last thing on your mind is your lifting schedule. Simply put, alcohol accomplishes jack shit. Alcohol makes achieving your potential that much harder and I'm not going to settle for second place because of booze. Go drive the boys around, have a good time watching them get fucked up, laugh at them the next morning when you're the only one who got laid, then hit the gym while they have a hangover.

Big Jawn
01-24-07, 12:00 am
Don't touch the stuff, and surround myself with people who share the same goals.

Maccabee
01-24-07, 12:21 am
Before i became all serious about training i used to drink like a fish too. Shit i drank in school and got drunk, i know I am a dumbass. But i learned my lesson and i dont like myself when I am drunk. I am real young, not an alcoholic or anything but i drank alot and often, ok fine maybe i might fit into the category. But a life thats drug and alcohol free is a great life for me. I feel in control, wiser, stronger, and glad that i can hold myself back from the bottle. The difference with back then and now is that I am in control of my life, not the bottle in control of me. Strength and Honor. Fight your temptations.

RoJoHen
01-24-07, 12:30 am
I'm in my senior year of college, so yes, I drink. However, I got over the crazy every weekend drunkenness that I was into my first couple years.

Now, if I drink, I make sure I do it on a non-training day, and I make sure I have nothing to wake up for the next day.

I suffer from awful hangovers, but for some reason, as soon as the hangover fades away, my body is ready for a hardcore workout.

Northman
01-24-07, 12:45 am
I used to drink back before I was 19. I went out every weekend partying and thought I was in good shape at 6' and 165lbs, so I saw no need to change my habits believing it did not affect my performance or gains. I now know different as not even 3 years later I have gained 40lbs naturally since I stopped drinking. Just something to think about.

Simps
01-24-07, 12:45 am
Think of it this way, drinking is not going to help you reach your bodybuilding goals. If your ok with making that sacrifice then go ahead.

That's right.

Alivewhenimdead
01-28-07, 7:48 pm
I've been trying to figure out how much drinking hurts (if it does). I'm college and my friends thing my diet is already fucked up, if I don't booze with em then they'll really think I've lost it.

what do y'all do?

SDR
01-28-07, 7:51 pm
Theres a good discussion/thought here:

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=942

Personally my appetite gets weaker, dont feel as strong...

MELTDOWN
01-28-07, 10:46 pm
I haven't had alkeehol since 1990.something about not being able to remember 4 days of my life and some really jacked up photos from the hotel.
i quit cold turkey (and that is strong considering the volume of drink i slayed) and lost alot of 'friends" because i didn't venture out for the drink. it's all the better for me. the cash i was pissing away for drink was just converted to supp's. i think it is personal choice and don't judge either way people go...just don't bitch on monday morning in the gym when your head is still splitting and spinning from the weekend...

Hollywood
01-28-07, 11:11 pm
Since I started lifting heavy I found my want to drink go down an incredible amount, simply because of the atmosphere and effects of alcohol. First of all, if you're on creatine, booze should be at the bottom of your list. Booze dehydrates you an incredible amount, so that on top of the creatine is a real bad mix. Secondly, if I go out and drink with friends, it usually means I'll be out till all hours of the morning which means I could go a long time without eating or drinking an adequate amount of water. I mean, I'm only 19 and the whole huge party scene is already worn out in my book.

gsb239
01-29-07, 1:25 am
I'm with these guys. I'm in college too and am somewhat sick of partying. Everything is okay in moderation. I'd stick to drinking maybe once or twice a month at most (binge drinking that is). Less is more in this case. The occasional beer or two isn't gonna kill you and can help you relax.
I'd stay away from it while supplementing with creatine for sure, and definitely before a contest if you're competing. You shouldn't be doing it weekly because for a student, the weekend is the best time to train and eat properly. I usually try to convince my friends to do somethin else like go watch a movie, bowling, or goin out to eat (that way u get in a meal too). If your friends can't accept your dieting and training then maybe its time to reconsider who your friends are.
Like someone said before me, the money ur pissing away on booze could go towards more food and supplements.

tank2k7
01-29-07, 12:45 pm
I definitely agree with all you. Binge drinking is not a good idea. The few times I have in college made for some pretty bad training the next couple days because I just could not eat properly for the following day. Now I have changed my ways and only have maybe a beer or two a week. Anything in moderation wont kill you, just be careful.

JoshLandry
01-29-07, 8:06 pm
deff from my own experiences it will screw up your whole next day, you wont want to eat anything healthy and you feel like shit and if you have to work out you either wont or your workout will be so shitty that its not even worth it

Simps
01-29-07, 8:29 pm
I got all the drinking out of my system when I was younger. It's so much easier to improve yourself than to throw days away. But of course, to each his own.

rose07
01-29-07, 8:45 pm
It depends what your goals are. Shit if your life is bodybuilding or powerlifting drinking is the last thing u wanna do... It just fucks ur body up.... but if you just like lifting to stay in shape then shit... go out on a saturday night and drink till sunrise. It's all about your goals. If you are an amatuer bodybuilder on the brink of becoming a pro then you do the math on booze. If you go to college and are lifting to stay in some shape and help out pullin some tail then go out there and show off what you've worked for. But this refers to 2 or 3 nights a month of drinkin... you get wasted both nites every weekend or more. You can kiss your chance of gettin big goodbye.

T. Kemble
01-29-07, 9:56 pm
i drink but in moderation. 2-3 beers TOPS when i go out and never the nights before i train. NEVER any hard booze. hope that helps.

Lethal_Banana
01-29-07, 11:54 pm
I must admit that I cut back on drinking when I started lifting and eating seriously. I do go out and party, but try to stay away from booze. I don't mind sacrificing a little sleep. That's better than being lazy and not hungry for a couple days afterwards due to the alc....

nihiloexnihil
01-30-07, 12:29 am
I don't touch it, and here's why: Not only does it cause major fat deposits IMMEDIATELY in your liver when you drink it, but also human beings can't even metabolize it properly (unless it's a tiny amount, taken in very slowly).

Carbs and protein give you 4 calories per gram, fat gives you 9. Alcohol gives you 7. It's almost like drinking pure fat. Fat that dehydrates you, no less.

Of course, being an Irishman I don't judge any man who likes his sauce. It's just not in concert with my goals.

doomsdaylover
01-30-07, 12:52 am
I definately admire you guys for your self-control and dedication. Unforunately, in my business and with my friends I'm exposed to an unhealthy lifestyle all the time. But of course, that's the story of all our lives, huh? I have definately learned how to say no to pizza, nachos and In-N-Out burger and I have REALLY cut back on the liquor and noticed an increase in my gains at the gym.

pdiesel
01-30-07, 1:45 pm
depends how hungry you are man..if you really want it, then youll cut down on the drinking..i know the feeling too man! im at school for my LAST semester..so its rough! if you are going to drink, try to limit it, and recover harcore the second you get home..drink like a quart of water that night, then the next day drink a shitload of gatoraide..take naps and get to bed early that night..maybe throw in some protein too..youll be okay but once youre done with school you should really drop the drinking..the more in shape you get, the more you will see how sensitive your body is to lifting, and trust me, its not a good feeling..

boar
01-30-07, 7:40 pm
Whats up brothers,

I had somewhat of an epipheny at the gym on Sunday. I was hungover and felt like I was just going through the motions last Sunday. Saturday was a hard night of boozing with my college roomates. When I had my gravity boots over my shins while doing abs I thought of never drinking again. I mean, my old man was an alcoholic and attends AA meetings regularly. I thought if I wanted to be serious in the powerlifting game I could not afford set backs like this. This especially applies to you bodybuilders on strict diets.

To those who totally stay sober, my respect goes out to all of you.

But alcohol in moderation is alright and will not be a detriment to lifting/health. See I enjoy drinking a nice cold sam adams after a hard week of classes. I can consider 2-3 beers a cheat meal or something like that. I understand all of the college kids in the iron game ( I myself am a student right now) that it is hard to drink in moderation especially when you watch one of your roomates funnel a beer.

But hear this out guys. If you have the discipline to hit the gym harder then anyone you know, you have the discipline to either stay totally sober or learn how to drink in moderation.

Stay strong brothers.

-nick

tbone
01-31-07, 1:33 am
college student as well... i haven't had a beer in about a month now and plan on not touching it for at least another month. i'm on a bulk right now and gains are UP UP UP. it's hard to not go out on the weekends (thurs-sat) because that's what everyone else is doing. instead i find it easiest to hit the gym friday night at 9 or 10 and saturday for that matter as well. when i'm one of the only ones in the gym on a fri or sat night while everyone else is out getting shit plowed just keeps me that much hungrier.

Giant Killer
01-31-07, 3:23 pm
I am 21 and drank HEAVILY in high school and 1st year of college--I don't miss it, a LOT of health problems I had really faded away--since then I have kept it slow, drinking 2 vodka/cranberries (for less junk cals than drinking a sixer) maybe once every 2 months as a "cheat meal"--I also like to sample a good brew when I find myself at a local brewery, this is even more rare...but my thirst for gains has thankfully destroyed my thirst for booze

jeff00z28
01-31-07, 7:04 pm
i dont drink at all anymore. I'll have a couple beers every once in a while (once in a great while) but never get drunk. I used to go to partys be kinda like frank the tank from old school. If i work rly hard for a week and then drink on the weekend the whole week's work is voided.

the_menace
01-31-07, 8:18 pm
There's a difference between drinking 1 better and drinking excessively. Heck even some bodybuilders drink, but they know how to limit themselves. Overfeeding your body with anything can be bad, especially with alcohol intake. If you have come to the point where you drink excessively all the time...then there's no way you'll make it in this sport.

pdiesel
02-01-07, 12:35 am
i just got back to school about 2 weeks ago..it's my last semester here..damn time goes by fast!! anyway, during my whole winter break i trained my ass off and didn't drink one ounce of alcohol..i have to admit, bc it is my last semester at school, it is very hard for me to watch all of my buddies going out..it's all about self control though..i've watched all the gains i've put forth and i don't want to just piss away all that hard work..i know that i can just go out 1 or 2 nights a week and have 1-2 beers and still have a good time..this sport is all about sacrifice..it's all about how hungry you are..

LightsOut
02-01-07, 2:41 am
i just turned 20 and found that i was actually one of the few kids that i myself know that actually drank less going from high school to college. part of it was just my maturity level, and now that im a little older i realize its not something thats very important to me anymore. yeah ill throw down a couple beers and watch a game on tv or something, but nothing along the lines of going out and drinkin til i cant piss straight like i used to. even on weekends and during summer or winter breaks i find myself just kinda hanging out more often than going out, and even when i do go out, im usually home relatively early and without drinking. i feel that with it outta my system i generally just feel better, in the weight room and all day long actually. to go get hammered and then to lift the next day to me seems counter productive, youre either making yourself better or worse, and you cant get better if youre hungover and workin to get all that poison out.

Toni69
02-01-07, 4:07 am
I am more of a wine or Disaronno girl, but I drink very occasionally. I have lost the taste for alcohol since I became heavy into bodybuilding. I think if I had more than 2 glasses now, I would be so drunk! Being here in the UK, drinking is just huge. It is a very social thing. I always wind up as the one in charge or designated driver when I go out with my friends here. They drink so darn much and I think they feel I can protect them too...weird. I need protection sometimes! When some guys get drunk, they can be way out of control. Anyway...

I remember, at my last show, there were these guys drinking alcohol right before they stepped out on stage. They had those little bottles that you can put in your pocket and were just gulping it down. Where they doing that to ease their nerves or was there somthing else to that? What do you think?

the prophet
02-02-07, 1:11 am
as a recently retired college football player, i've had a lot of great times and some not so great times out tying one on with my teammates... since my last season ended in november and i'm making the move from d-end to olb to play semi-pro ball, i've cut back considerably. i'm down to 245 and almost shredded like i was when i was 225, and i've moved my belt in 2 notches since thanksgiving- and i attribute a lot of that to cutting back on the booze (eating much cleaner and further educating myself have also helped). the only stuff i'll do now is maybe have a glass of red w/ the gf or something like that but no more beer-bongs and keg stands... although, jack daniels and i will forever continue to be good friends. do what you do, but make sure you do it well. if you chose to not drink at all i have a fucking TON of respect for you, because i'm sure it's hard. i'm sure i'll make the change when my playing days are done and i get into competative bodybuilding... but for now, moderation is serving me well.

doomsdaylover
02-02-07, 2:02 pm
I am more of a wine or Disaronno girl, but I drink very occasionally. I have lost the taste for alcohol since I became heavy into bodybuilding. I think if I had more than 2 glasses now, I would be so drunk! Being here in the UK, drinking is just huge. It is a very social thing. I always wind up as the one in charge or designated driver when I go out with my friends here. They drink so darn much and I think they feel I can protect them too...weird. I need protection sometimes! When some guys get drunk, they can be way out of control. Anyway...

I remember, at my last show, there were these guys drinking alcohol right before they stepped out on stage. They had those little bottles that you can put in your pocket and were just gulping it down. Where they doing that to ease their nerves or was there somthing else to that? What do you think?

Wow, Toni, abstaining from beer in the UK...from what I experienced when I was over there, people drink every day and go the pub after everything - even church! I asked someone once in London why exercise wasn't at all a big thing here and he said it go in the way of their drinking habit.

Maybe those guys were drinking because alcohol dehydrates you and I know when I've had a few, for a brief time my skin feels shrink wrapped over my skin and I feel less fat because I am retaining less water. They probably wanted to be as ripped as possible...but that's a non-competitor's guess.

Rooster
02-13-07, 5:10 pm
Alright animals I have a question. Do you drink bear? Is it a bad thing? Should I just forget about alcohol all together? I know its not the best thing for you but man a cold beer every now and then sure tastes good. Especially after a hard day at work. Since I lift first thing in the a.m. after work is usually 6pm. Let me know your thoughts. I am interested.

Q
02-13-07, 5:23 pm
While I dont go out and get wasted with my friends anymore, I do enjoy a good microbrew every once and a while.

musclealchemist
02-13-07, 5:27 pm
beer is just like training, to much of it can kill you. Beer is good, as long as you dont over do it

darkside64
02-13-07, 5:37 pm
like all things balance is key. I have seen people that wont even season their chicken breasts. Then after a while they burn out. I will say though that brew are useless calories. I would substitute a cheat meal for a brew or two.

-Define Your Self-
02-13-07, 5:47 pm
agreed with all you guys-- of course the worst would be binge drinking- like that of college kids-- just happen 2 be one and even with that and the occasional binge weekends i've still managed 2 gain size n strenght as well as lower my bf and wieght like the guys above me said tho using it as a cheat meal is prob the best way

future marine
02-14-07, 12:33 am
Alcohol can lower your Testosterone levels and it can take up to 10 days before they get back to before you drank. Try and keep it to a minimum if your going for maximum results.

Alivewhenimdead
02-14-07, 12:48 am
As a college student it's almost a given that friday and saturday night you get shitfaced with your friends...i stopped about a month ago and I've gotta say I've noticed a huge difference in strength, energy, and overall state of mind. plus my grades are higher now...

The teske
02-14-07, 8:05 am
Beer is a drug and it can effect different people in different ways. it also has health benefits as the it can help people relax and also the antitoxants found in beer such as guinness have be found to help reduce heart disease.
bad points it lowers testosterone and promotes estrogen.

Jaymafin
02-14-07, 11:42 am
I never drink within 24 hours of lifting. i only drink if i get 5 days of lifting in-in a row.

rockyIV
02-14-07, 1:31 pm
An occasional drink with the boys is no big deal unless you are prepping for a contest or something like that. Just keep those occasional if you want to see good results.

crazymonk
02-14-07, 6:45 pm
i'm a college student and been cutting down alot on alcohol, but when i want to cheat, i drink a 40 of Olde English or two. that always hits the spot

CAPO190
02-14-07, 7:05 pm
As long as you don't overdo it. I get trashed atleast once a weekend and it doesn't affect my gains.

saintsplaya
02-14-07, 7:16 pm
i try not to drink too often, but occasionally will give in on special occasions. i know this weekend i will be drinking too much because its mardi gras time over here. but after that i wont touch alcohol for a while. as long as you dont feel too hungover the next day and have the hangovers affect your workouts i think its ok occasionally.

never_2_big
02-14-07, 7:19 pm
like all things balance is key. I have seen people that wont even season their chicken breasts. Then after a while they burn out. I will say though that brew are useless calories. I would substitute a cheat meal for a brew or two.

if i want a beer or two i'll schedule out a cheat meal so i can account for the useless calories. just keep counting and dont over do it...

Far Beyond Driven
02-19-07, 11:23 am
As you all know, I've been having a bit of a problem with alcohol. Well, I've been dry since thursday night. Already I've noticed that my recovery time has halved itself. I find my self wanting a drink, getting mad because I can't, getting madder at myself for wanting it, and finally getting even angrier that I was a slave to a chemical. So I took it out on myself saturday during leg day, and sunday during back day. No weak shit , either. Barbell rows, deads, squats, the really punishing stuff. For all the guys here who helped with supportive comments, and all those with the kick-in-the-nuts style comments, thank you . You all made the difference. I'm in this little contest of ours, and you'll see some shit from me, I promise you.

Buckeye
02-19-07, 11:30 am
hey bro, if you can keep that attitiude everyday you'll be o.k. Try to keep telling yourself it's only mental. Remember, if you did it yesterday you can do it today!! Keep the positive mindset and good luck brother

BLOWNBY
02-19-07, 12:37 pm
Keep it up......take your furry out on the STEEL. Also put in some good songs while releasing the stress!

Trust me it helps keep us sane in time of insanity!

MassManiac
02-19-07, 1:25 pm
Keep it up bro. If you've got temptations or frustrations let em out here. We got your back... Good luck stayin strong.

brandonA
02-19-07, 1:43 pm
way to be bro, dont let that fucking monkey on your back....be strong...yell if you need hand....

-b

speedster00
02-19-07, 2:38 pm
Awesome Bro. keep it up. All this hard work will pay off soon.

dbbeast
02-19-07, 3:08 pm
keep it up bro it will pay off. i'm college so it's really hard to say no but once you go without for a while you don't even miss it. and when you see how much it help it will be even easier.

Dingo
02-19-07, 6:32 pm
One day at a time, one plate at a time, one rep at a time.......

JUGGERNAUT
02-19-07, 6:48 pm
You will also; at the same time you are raging and tearing up the place that you find the best feeling. To stay away from that killer addiction, the feeling that you have found this "thing" to do in your life. The right thing to do with your life. You can't turn back now, you are part of this brotherhood and most of all a better man for taking this road that has no forgiveness and calling for more strength.

Simps
02-19-07, 6:58 pm
Stay strong my brotha! You can keep your focus! Just do it! Monitor your gains. Be critical of your faults. Give yourself credit. And give yourself a hard time. Believe me, it's a recipe for progress.

Grind that axe for a long time my brother!

mack84
02-19-07, 7:01 pm
I can say man i am on the same path as you. PM me if you need any advice. To make it you gotta be just as stong mentally as you are physically. Nothing is better then when you have full control of your life.

Axe
02-19-07, 7:37 pm
I can say man i am on the same path as you. PM me if you need any advice. To make it you gotta be just as stong mentally as you are physically. Nothing is better then when you have full control of your life.

Amen!

Like I've said before bro...I'm on the same journey! I'm not ahead or behind you...I'm right beside you bro!

Let's do this thing!

ΞRASΞЯ ♠
02-20-07, 5:25 am
I was on that same path years ago & it prospered me NOTHING ! Sure it's fun to party, but it was effecting my life & I was growing dependant on the booze. After I got my head out of my ass I decided to hit the iron & put that crap behind me. I haven't drank in 10 years & I feel great about it ...

darkside64
02-20-07, 5:39 am
bro believe me its easy to fall slave to that shit. I personally love to drink, and my ass gets bored easily. Not a good combo. However I ask myself do I really want to be serious and become a pro BB, or am I just a wanna be. Maybe you dont want to be a pro, but you have to a approach everything with a 100% sound mental attitude otherwise your just shitting on your kitchen floor. You always have a choose. Choose you this day whom you will follow

ryanlemley1
02-20-07, 4:41 pm
I was there too. I found myself craving a drink through the week, off and on. Then I took it almost too far. For my birthday this past year, I went out and drank like 20 drinks in 3 hours. I have no recollection of anything that happened that night. My wife got me home and had me in the shower for 4 hours. I was vomitting and crying and shaking. I completely blacked out, I had no idea where I was or how I got there. It was the scariest night of my life. Maybe some of you have been there before and this might be normal for some, I don't know, but for me, a sheltered kid all my life; I had my fill. I promised myself, wife, friends, and God that I would never let myself get to that point again. I was so ashamed of myself and what I was letting myself get to. I reached a point around Christmas time, that I promised myself that if I did have a drink, it would only be maybe 1 or 2 at most in one sitting. I haven't had a drink in almost 2 months. This weekend, I may have a drink with my best friend, his wife and my wife, but nothing more. Brother like someone else has already said, tell yourself that this is a mental barrier that you have to get over. Keep focused and you'll OVERCOME it. Train hard!!

RowdyRobby
02-20-07, 4:59 pm
I was there too. I found myself craving a drink through the week, off and on. Then I took it almost too far. For my birthday this past year, I went out and drank like 20 drinks in 3 hours. I have no recollection of anything that happened that night. My wife got me home and had me in the shower for 4 hours. I was vomitting and crying and shaking. I completely blacked out, I had no idea where I was or how I got there. It was the scariest night of my life. Maybe some of you have been there before and this might be normal for some, I don't know, but for me, a sheltered kid all my life; I had my fill. I promised myself, wife, friends, and God that I would never let myself get to that point again. I was so ashamed of myself and what I was letting myself get to. I reached a point around Christmas time, that I promised myself that if I did have a drink, it would only be maybe 1 or 2 at most in one sitting. I haven't had a drink in almost 2 months. This weekend, I may have a drink with my best friend, his wife and my wife, but nothing more. Brother like someone else has already said, tell yourself that this is a mental barrier that you have to get over. Keep focused and you'll
OVERCOME it. Train hard!!

Man Sounds just like me!! Same thing 1 or 2 drink limit, and My wife holds me accountable. I just started telling myself that lifting is a way better stress for my body then Alcohol. I dont want to breakdown any faster.

Stay strong!!!

Your Body is a Temple

Liftbig21
02-20-07, 5:05 pm
You got this bro...were all behind you...keep that additude pick it out on the weights..its in the bag bro keep it up.

ryanlemley1
02-20-07, 5:12 pm
you know where you need to go for support. we are your brothers here, family, more than just the iron brotherhood!! always remember this!! train hard!

txpower
02-20-07, 5:35 pm
go for it bro we're family here. keep it up and we'll support you when your down

wolf
02-20-07, 5:46 pm
You're doing great! Stay strong, have courage and get even stronger each day.

Lawman
02-21-07, 1:48 am
Keep your chin up.

Dingo
02-21-07, 12:30 pm
I was there too. I found myself craving a drink through the week, off and on. Then I took it almost too far. For my birthday this past year, I went out and drank like 20 drinks in 3 hours. I have no recollection of anything that happened that night. ... I was vomiting and crying and shaking. I completely blacked out, I had no idea where I was or how I got there. .... normal for some, .... I was so ashamed of myself and what I was letting myself get to.....
I come from a father whose a recovered alcoholic... its in my blood. I've had too many nights i can't recall. I had lost what i thought was the best girl I'd ever have, my best friends dad passed (who was like a father to me) and i lost a good job, all within 3 months of each other... I fell hard, wallowing in self pity and doubt, I became "the party guy" 200$ a week on booze until the credit cards ran out. then whatever i could afford making 300 a week.....
Its easy to fall and keep falling, the path of least resistance, it's been a daily battle for me, thats why in my previous post was, 1 day,rep,set at a time.
Its a long road, but the steps are small.

Mr.Totality
02-21-07, 1:06 pm
it is an uphill battle, but a battle that con be won. Keep pressing and fighting

jeff00z28
05-13-07, 2:07 am
so how bad is beer rly? I quit drinking for the longest time after getting serious about the gym. But lately i have been allowing myslef to drink on weekends that I am not training the next da. Im not a big drinker, but it seems if i have a few beers it doesnt affect me as long as I listen to my hunger and eat a bunch of food and water. Any1 else think this it is bad enough to be worth giving up, or is it ok as long as it is in moderation.

Ironman13
05-13-07, 3:12 am
Man, that has probably been the hardest thing for me to give up. I love to go out on the weekends and just relax and get a good buzz. I'm cutting right know so I just have a couple of jack and diets. I no that if you have say 6 or 7 beers that has to be horrible for your diet. I'm giving drinking beer up completly because I think 600 or 700 empty calories could damage all the hardwork that I put into the gym. Plus after you drink you want to munch on some food, and when I do this its not the healthiest food around so I try to stay clear of the beer. I hope this helps.

eblnyc
05-13-07, 10:50 am
Drinking is very bad! I have seen guys in the gym after a night of boozing it a ugly sight and they fuckin stink up the gym! It also does a number on your looks,booze ages you!

Beast Genetics
05-13-07, 11:09 am
Vodka, water with lemon nothing in it cheers.

Giant Killer
05-13-07, 11:13 am
so how bad is beer rly?

Alcohol inhibits protein synthesis. Period.

Everything in moderation, true, but do you want EXPLOSIVE GAINS, or "moderate" gains? Food for thought.

karthik
05-13-07, 5:44 pm
the one reason why I love this forum and think that is the most hardcore one is the no b.s. attitude and none of the pro's or watchmen will blow smoke up your ass. This isn't some modern muscle magazine b.s. writing annoying articles about the latest fancy car or clothing style to wear when you go out to a nightclub in a vain attempt to impress a junkie alcoholic. With that said, those party animal types and us bodybuilding animal types often lock horns because our lifestyles are polar opposites of each other (I am very surprised and shocked that no muscle magazine or forum has brought up this very important point!!). Throughout my years of partying I have noticed that no one roots for the big man/woman (i.e. bodybuilding, powerlifting, strongman), and that there is no room for self pity. You will often find that for mental health sake along with physical health that if you hang out with your fellow brothers and sisters of iron, and/or a significant other who admires/shares your goals for physical excellence you will be much more happy than hanging out with those who love junk food, recreational drugs or tremendous intake of alcohol, you can hang out with these types all you want, but be prepared to pay the price.

crypto
05-13-07, 5:50 pm
i just adore the whole concept of bodybuilding, "if you want it, go get it and earn it." you can take every supplement you want, but if you ure not gonna bust ure ass liftin and not disciplining ureself with ure diet, ure not gonna get it.

TimMF
05-13-07, 7:02 pm
I think it depends on your lifestyle. For a bodybuilder a few beers i believe is too much. Any form of alcohol is only going to hurt your diet and training. For a powerlifter I believe it's still unnecessary but it's a lesser evil if you do it with powerlifting. Ultimately you have to ask yourself, what is so great about alcohol that you need it so bad? For kids my age I understand, it's illegal they want to defy their parents be rebels to the world. But for older guys what does it accomplish? If you are drinking in moderation what do u get out of it? The taste? Personally them shakes i make taste a hell of a lot better to me.

And i have to disagree with the who you hang out with. Personally I'm 16 years old. 95% of the kids in my school are the partying type. I still hang out with them. Sure the temptation is there but they know not to ask me to have anything. You just have to have self control just like you have to do with your diet and training. Don't let your friends influence your lifestyle, live how you want to they'll respect it if they're true friends.

JMC
05-13-07, 11:06 pm
Ultimately you have to ask yourself, what is so great about alcohol that you need it so bad?

That's a powerful statement and one you should ask yourself. I hear it all the time.."I need a beer". Well do ya...really? is my answer. I don't come from a drinking family so it was never there growing up. That's probably the reason I RARELY ever drink at all and honestly I don't like the taste. I think beer tastes like ass. Just my opinion.....

Narcissist
05-14-07, 10:17 am
Mediocrity EQUALS Mediocrity. my 2 cents.

Shawn J
05-14-07, 11:09 am
All the hard work and time just to screw it up by drinking??? Geeez just donesn't make sense!

Bigarexic
05-15-07, 12:50 am
how is this thread not closed?? drug talk i thought was strictly forbidden and last time i checked, alcohol is a very dangerous drgu...in fact recent research lists alcohol more dangerous and damaging then marijuana, ecstacy, steroids, etc. etc. ..again wtf?

FUCK ALCOHOL!!
I despise drunks if you havent guessed

brandonA
05-15-07, 1:48 am
Here is my take on booze...I watched my mother for years try to hide the fact that she was drinking..She is a good woman who worked her fingers to the bone to f\house and feed three kids on her own..My senior year of high school she got teh help she needed and has been clean ever sience..over ten years now.....I worked over a year as a bouncer, spend my Friday and Saturday nights, cleaning up puke, bottles, and keeping drunks from slapping thier girlfriends around....The hardest part of the job was watching a drunk person get in to thier cars and drive away after I tossed them. I had many a sleepless night wondering if that person had killed someone on the way home...You could not take a persons keys or pervent them from driving home, offer them a free cab ride, if they refused, it was out of my hands....

I am no angel, I have had my share of partying nights, my freshman year of college was spent studing while a pary was going on...math and a beer.....Now I have one or two every couple of months. After being a bouncer, I can not drink in a bar, I can not relax in a bar, with every drunk i see stumble out of the door, my soul getts a little sadder untill i wake in the morning and see that know one was dead....

I am very incouraged that many of the younger members of the Forvm have chosen not to partake in the partying that surrounds them, wise choice bros....I have no issues with any one that chooses to drink...I am not going to climb on a high horse and damn alcohol...we all know what it is and what it does....all I ask is that we consume in a smart manner, knowing fully what conquesces our actions have......

As far as mixing boozes with our beloved sport, my feelings are that they dont mix. No good can come of mixing the two....just my .02....thanks for listening to my rant...sorry for being long winded....

-Brandon

BLOWNBY
05-15-07, 9:55 am
how is this thread not closed?? drug talk i thought was strictly forbidden and last time i checked, alcohol is a very dangerous drgu...in fact recent research lists alcohol more dangerous and damaging then marijuana, ecstacy, steroids, etc. etc. ..again wtf?

FUCK ALCOHOL!!
I despise drunks if you havent guessed

Don't take this wrong............

Chill Bro.......Alcohol is leagal, all the others you mentioned aren't. Totally wrong basis of what the not drugs discussion is inteneted for. By the sound of your tone, we should not talk about Asprin, Ibuprofen, cigarettes, Animal Stack 2, creatine, or any supplement for that matter. As they all can be very dangerous. There are more warning on supps than a case of Beer.

One needs to be a little more open minded rather than yelling and stirring the pot due to bad past experiences or emotions or whatnot. I totally agree that alcohol is very dangerous and I drink maybe twice a year, but the simple fact is, alcohol is legal and very safe when not abused.

Again, your right alcohol is dangerous, but so is about anything in excessive quantities.

Bigarexic
05-16-07, 3:12 am
Don't take this wrong............

Chill Bro.......Alcohol is leagal, all the others you mentioned aren't. Totally wrong basis of what the not drugs discussion is inteneted for. By the sound of your tone, we should not talk about Asprin, Ibuprofen, cigarettes, Animal Stack 2, creatine, or any supplement for that matter. As they all can be very dangerous. There are more warning on supps than a case of Beer.

One needs to be a little more open minded rather than yelling and stirring the pot due to bad past experiences or emotions or whatnot. I totally agree that alcohol is very dangerous and I drink maybe twice a year, but the simple fact is, alcohol is legal and very safe when not abused.

Again, your right alcohol is dangerous, but so is about anything in excessive quantities.

i actually have to agree with you man. i did hve some bad experiences with it so i really dislike it now and hate how almost every single person i know ages 18-24 drink like fish.
i just hate how the media glorfieis booze with all these ads when really its a serious drug and can cause death.
btw its only legal for the animals 21 and over and i take it under 21s have read and discussed this thread so therefore it is in violation

The Epidemic
06-16-07, 11:53 pm
Howdoes beer effect training?

Preston
06-17-07, 1:10 am
Howdoes beer effect training?

Usually drinking impares many things, including motor skills.

"Don't drink and train!"

-Preston[ANIMAL]

eblnyc
06-17-07, 1:22 am
beer has a ton of empty calories,that why there is beer gut.fat flabby stomach. nothing worst than training next to a dude whos hung over,they fuckin stink!

The Epidemic
06-17-07, 3:08 am
i meant does drinking beer stop growth? i didnt mean drinking whilce lifting

Space Cowboy
06-17-07, 7:22 am
Quote - Big Red (Bodybuilding.com)

Alcohol is empty calories. It doesn't have any nutrients, but does have a caloric value of 7 calories per gram. In just one shot (1.5oz) of 80 proof vodka there's nearly 100 calories. For those of you trying to lose fat, forget it if you are drinking. Not only will the high calorie content of alcohol have a negative effect on your total calorie intake, but it also slows down your metabolism by disrupting the Kreb's cycle. Since the Kreb's cycle isn't working correctly, fats cannot be broken down. In short, your body is trying so hard to digest and metabolize the alcohol, that fat burning stops all together.

Alcohol consumption also hurts muscle growth. Not only due to hangovers lowering your workout intensity, but it actually lowers protein synthesis by 20%. Twenty percent! There are several reasons why it does this. For one, it dehydrates your muscle cells. As many know, hydrated and even over hydrated muscles (like when you take creatine) allows for a much higher anabolic environment. Because your cells aren't holding as much water, it becomes much harder to build muscle. The second reason why alcohol can severely hurt muscle growth is because it blocks the absorption of many important nutrients that are key to muscle contraction, relaxation and growth including calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, iron and potassium.

OK, so I above I lied, there's actually a third way that alcohol slows down protein synthesis, I just wanted to dedicate a big part of this article to it. For those of you that don't already know this, ALCOHOL LOWERS TESTOSTERONE AND INCREASES ESTROGEN! Yes, you read that right. In one particular study, men's testosterone levels were measured before and after consumption of alcohol. At the most intoxicated state, testosterone levels had dropped to an average of 25% lower. It was also interesting to note, that when blood alcohol levels were the highest, testosterone was at its lowest. Alcohol has also been shown to cause a quicker aromatization of androgens into estrogens, which would explain why heavy drinkers often get gynecomastria (bitch tits) over a period of time. For those of you taking andro (and I'm sure you already know my views on andro) I would absolutely avoid alcohol since you already are in risk for gynecomastria with the high androgen levels in your blood. By drinking, you are further putting yourself in risk for aromatization. We should also note, that in a study done with rats, alcohol reduced Insulin like Growth Hormone-1 (IGF-1) by up to 42%. That's a huge drop in IGF-1.

12 articles on alcohol here bro

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.php?page=Alcohol

You know the other day after work, i went to the local pub with some friends. That week i'd had some amazing sessions in the gym and i didnt wanna fuck with all the effort i'd put in that week, so while my friends ordered beer, whisky, rum, i went for............Tropicana orange juice, my friends were speechless and thought i was taking the piss, couldnt understand.

EASI

Giant Killer
06-17-07, 8:10 am
Alcohol consumption also hurts muscle growth. Not only due to hangovers lowering your workout intensity, but it actually lowers protein synthesis by 20%.

This is what it all boils down to. If you are drinking you are not building muscle or recovering efficiently. 20% is a lot of muscle.

intoodeep25
06-17-07, 1:40 pm
the carbs in beer form fat around the stomach specifically..thats enough for me to stay away from beer

gsb239
06-17-07, 2:06 pm
Just to add a to space cowboy's response. When you're taking andros, your liver's taking a beating, so putting alcohol in your system is just extra work for your liver (unwanted work).

Always remember: moderation is the key to life (someone said this on the forvm a while back, I'm sorry I cant remember who). Nobody's telling you not to drink. In fact, Schack once advocated in an article the occasional beer. Just keep it within a reasonable amount.

Liftbig21
06-17-07, 2:22 pm
Just to add a to space cowboy's response. When you're taking andros, your liver's taking a beating, so putting alcohol in your system is just extra work for your liver (unwanted work).

Always remember: moderation is the key to life (someone said this on the forvm a while back, I'm sorry I cant remember who). Nobody's telling you not to drink. In fact, Schack once advocated in an article the occasional beer. Just keep it within a reasonable amount.

great response bro.

The_Beast
06-17-07, 2:39 pm
For us to even be talking about this type of ordeal I think is fucked up, its common sense that if you consume Alcoholic Beverage's that you for one, are going to dehydrate yourself, in terms, that your body cannot build maximum muscle, when the nutrients cannot reach there source, and second of all, first hand experience of the effects of alcohol abuse. We are sopposed to be fucking weightlifters/bodybuilders/etc. people wanting to better are physical self, yet you want to go out and trash yourself, and do the complete opposite of what you try so hard to achieve. I feel that the equation just doesnt completely add up for any positive effects. With all seriousness into the sport, I wouldnt see any success for a persons future, while there are drinking 3-4 nights a week while training, but, hey, thats just me and my oppinion. Respect.

Frankie86
06-17-07, 6:14 pm
I only drink in moderation..which is every couple of weeks..is usually on on big occasions and stuff..like my bday..or my block party..4th of july..party of the year..u get the picture..but drinking is terrible for weight liftin and gaining muscle..i havent drank these past 2 months actually as part of my diet for the summer..

but its your 21st birthday so u better be drunk..the age only comes once bro..i havent reached it yet but when i do ill be hammered..take the next day off then hit the gym as hard as i always do..lata bro..hav a fun bdayy!!

jeff00z28
06-17-07, 7:54 pm
the only thing I've really noticed from drinking is the "beer belly." Hasn't rly messed up ability to build muscle and strength for me. But then I prolly only drink like 50 beers tops in an entire year. I usually get rly obsessive compulsive and end up eating a few protein bars.

***WTM***
06-17-07, 8:29 pm
I love my beer. If I do have some, its usually one day a week with the wife out on the patio. Sometimes I overdue it, sometimes I don't. So far, it hasn't effected my muscle building or strength. I have actually found that some of my strongest workouts in the gym weights or cardio have been after a night of some beers. Not saying its good for you though.

If you are having some cravings and can't seem to get past them here are some options in dealing with them:

1.Grapes: It is one of the most effective home remedy for curing alcoholism. Grapes have in them the purest form of alcohol making agent and it is an ideal substitute for alcoholics. Therefore intake of grapes, can effectively reduce the alcoholism.

2.Bitter Gourd: The leaves of bitter gourd produces a kind of juice which is a good medicine to cure the intoxicating effects produced by alcohol. It also helps to repair the damaged cells and tissues of the liver. It is advisable to take three teaspoons of bitter gourd juice mixed with butter milk every morning, to get the desired effects.

3.Apples: As the age old saying goes, “an apple a day, keeps the doctor away”. Yes! apples prove to be a very effective remedy for curing alcoholism. They help by removing the intoxicated elements produced by alcohol consumption and also reduces the urge of taking alcohol frequently.

4.Celery: The juice produced from celery has a sobering effect on an alcoholists and thus proves to be a good home remedy. It is advisable to take it daily with water for a month to produce the desired effects.

5.Dates: They are considered one of the most beneficial home treatments to cure alcoholism. Rubbed dates in water should be consumed by people with such a disorder.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Effective-Home-Remedies-For-Curing-Alcoholism&id=352049

Nulllogik
06-18-07, 5:04 pm
I use Alcohol for cooking.

When i turn 21 in the middle of next week, im buying a 6 pack, and cooking some potatos and vegetables with one of them (all of this after back/hamstrings day).

Thats about it, and im fuckin looking forward to it.

I get a good enough feeling 5 nights out of the week going to the gym.

JUGGERNAUT
06-18-07, 5:23 pm
Here is my take on booze...I watched my mother for years try to hide the fact that she was drinking..She is a good woman who worked her fingers to the bone to f\house and feed three kids on her own..My senior year of high school she got teh help she needed and has been clean ever sience..over ten years now.....I worked over a year as a bouncer, spend my Friday and Saturday nights, cleaning up puke, bottles, and keeping drunks from slapping thier girlfriends around....The hardest part of the job was watching a drunk person get in to thier cars and drive away after I tossed them. I had many a sleepless night wondering if that person had killed someone on the way home...You could not take a persons keys or pervent them from driving home, offer them a free cab ride, if they refused, it was out of my hands....

I am no angel, I have had my share of partying nights, my freshman year of college was spent studing while a pary was going on...math and a beer.....Now I have one or two every couple of months. After being a bouncer, I can not drink in a bar, I can not relax in a bar, with every drunk i see stumble out of the door, my soul getts a little sadder untill i wake in the morning and see that know one was dead....

I am very incouraged that many of the younger members of the Forvm have chosen not to partake in the partying that surrounds them, wise choice bros....I have no issues with any one that chooses to drink...I am not going to climb on a high horse and damn alcohol...we all know what it is and what it does....all I ask is that we consume in a smart manner, knowing fully what conquesces our actions have......

As far as mixing boozes with our beloved sport, my feelings are that they dont mix. No good can come of mixing the two....just my .02....thanks for listening to my rant...sorry for being long winded....

-Brandon

agreed, I was a bouncer for a while.

rockyIV
06-20-07, 9:15 am
ok, so im just getting into the diet thing, well ive been on all tuna for a couple months and i turn 21 in like 13 days, and i just wanted to know what everyone thought about alcohol? im not much of a drinker anyways but how will it affect my body and my lifting if i drank from time to time since i will be 21? thanks guys

I saw a huge difference in my gains when I quit drinking this year. I still have a beer or two on occasion like family get togethers but by and large I don't touch the stuff. Now I'm losing bf like mad and increasing strength and mass.

I know when I was 21 I was only thinking I would drink "from time to time" if you have that will power, that's great, but it can turn into a daily habit of coming home and drinking 4-5 drinks. Especially after you get out of college and get a real job and are able to afford the good stuff.

Keep it clean bro and you'll see results with your body you wouldn't believe.

Consider what you would spend on alcohol in a month and think of the other things you could buy with that money too. That figure will weigh on your thrifty side, and all Animals are thrifty.

darkside64
06-20-07, 5:25 pm
I always get smashed on the weekends. I still have a great body. Honestly when I look at most great bodybuilders(or succesful people in general). They always work hard, and know how to party. To be honest going out on the weekends has helped me work harder in the gym. I also think that if everything is done in moderation and balanced, you can do just about everything.

The_Beast
06-20-07, 7:39 pm
I always get smashed on the weekends. I still have a great body. Honestly when I look at most great bodybuilders(or succesful people in general). They always work hard, and know how to party. To be honest going out on the weekends has helped me work harder in the gym. I also think that if everything is done in moderation and balanced, you can do just about everything.

Well, Damn...You could have one Hell of a Great body if you just restricted those two days for staying clean for a few months....Next Mr.Olympia even....

Im not trying to bash you bro, I agree, but Disagree. Dedication to anything involve's sacrafice. To be Pro or a Top Champion at anything you must Sacrafice on a large scale. I feel for all the Sacrafices some of these Contenders make (Frank Mcgrath, for example) They, wouldnt let there live's and dreams slip away for a few good time's with Jack Daniels. If a Drink is worth more than a Great Body to you, well, go ahead, fuck yourself up everynight then. I can guarantee you with that attitude you will never make it on stage, wait, let me restate that, you will not be at any competition on stage or to the other competitors.

BLOWNBY
06-21-07, 10:37 am
Agree, no one competitive is getting "smashed" every weekend. By the sounds of your comment you are rather young anyways and as you age that habbit will catch up very quick too and be very detrimental to your progress of muscle growth and keeping it lean.

Just imagine what you could be if you weren't getting "smashed" every weekend.

Maybe once or twice a year won't really affect progress but I can guarantee, every weekend is.

But if you are happy with and like it fine.

Iron_Spirit
06-21-07, 12:49 pm
Funny how I started lifting and eating seriously BEFORE I had my first drink. I only drink in REALLY REALLY special ocasions and that is IF I think its worth the while. Last time I had a drink was in vacations of the first week of April

To me its this simple: Does alcohol help me in any way? No. Does it affect me negatively? Yes. Conclusion: I don't drink, except maybe once or twice a year, and in moderation.

PERIOD. Drinking, to me, would be showing weakness of will and discipline. I am not weak, and demonstrate it through my actions.

krazyassmexican
06-21-07, 12:52 pm
i wouldnt say it better
ur fucking rite
Funny how I started lifting and eating seriously BEFORE I had my first drink. I only drink in REALLY REALLY special ocasions and that is IF I think its worth the while. Last time I had a drink was in vacations of the first week of April

To me its this simple: Does alcohol help me in any way? No. Does it affect me negatively? Yes. Conclusion: I don't drink, except maybe once or twice a year, and in moderation.

PERIOD. Drinking, to me, would be showing weakness of will and discipline. I am not weak, and demonstrate it through my actions.

darkside64
06-21-07, 1:29 pm
dude first off. Obviously there is a time and place to do everything. I admit right now Im drinking a lot. People always blow shit out of proportion. Like you cant have any fun, because your a competitive bodybuilder, and all you care about is eating and training. way to be the stereotypical meathead. funny thing is Im still bigger than you. Of course if I was doing a show I would stop all drinking, but since Im not, who cares. And speaking of partying, bodybuilders are the biggest drugs addicts( not talking just about performance enhancement drugs either)

stumblin54
06-21-07, 1:44 pm
dude first off. Obviously there is a time and place to do everything. I admit right now Im drinking a lot. People always blow shit out of proportion. Like you cant have any fun, because your a competitive bodybuilder, and all you care about is eating and training. way to be the stereotypical meathead. funny thing is Im still bigger than you. Of course if I was doing a show I would stop all drinking, but since Im not, who cares. And speaking of partying, bodybuilders are the biggest drugs addicts( not talking just about performance enhancement drugs either)

Let's not get too stereotypical here, but you're absolutely right. I know a lot of 250+ pound guys that drink a little more than in moderation and are still thick and ripped. It won't kill you, but for a show it's obviously forbidden. I don't do it, but I live in one of the most heavily drinking college towns in America, and some of the guys I lift with on occasion drink plenty and are still bigger and stronger than I am so I can't say that it has to be cut out altogether.

Stumblin

LegendKillerJosh
06-21-07, 3:00 pm
Alright, now we all know how everyone feels about drinking...how about tips to avoid it? A few things I do, give them a try:

1. Find things to do with your friends. Instead of just going to a bar where drinking is pretty much inevitable, me and my friends spent Friday nights at the batting cages, having some real fun. (And no, I'm not 9 years old, it seriously is STILL fun.)

2. When I'm at my house and bored, feeling like having a drink, I instead opt to just go get some food instead. Drinking often comes because of boredom, and going to get some take out food is still a lot better for you than drinking is. A tiny tiny bit of fat is better than sacrificing muscle gains.

3. Wanting a drink is not needing a drink, you can fight off your cravings by keeping in mind how it effects your goals.

AND for all the people claiming to still look great even though they drink like a fish, well keep in mind you can't know what you look like on the inside. If I ever do cave and have a drink, you can bet it's going to be during an "off cycle" week from stak-2. Taking all these pills, eating all this food and adding alcohol on top of that WILL hurt your liver, not MIGHT, WILL hurt your liver. Just avoid it if you can, but if you absolutely must drink, have a COUPLE in the afternoon/early evening, and be sure to drink lots of water after and still get some protein in you before bed.

LegendKillerJosh
06-21-07, 3:17 pm
Also remember this when you want a drink:

"With great sacrifice comes great rewards."

darkside64
08-11-07, 6:44 am
there is this german beer called hefe weizen. It basically brew that consists of wheat, yeast, and hops. All natural ingredients. A lot of people say it is pretty healthy(and tastes damn good, not like that other sour piss). Of course these bitches pack a calorie punch, 400 calories for 16ounces. My question is(I know its weird, but fuck gotta ask it anyways) could this be bodybuilding beneficial or bad. Arnold back in the day drank a lot of german brew. Fuck just give me some straight answers, and dont tell me im an idiot, (unless of course my information is false)

Liftbig21
08-11-07, 7:31 pm
I know guys cut..ripped ...and just fucking huge...that drink like crazy and it doesnt effect anything..Now im not defending drinking i turned 21 on xmas and still havent gotten loaded yet..but if you want a drink then fuckin have one...everything in moderation as long as you dont get wasted everyday then on your off days enjoy yourself and have a drink...We all have choices..but remember we only got one life...while im as hardcore as the next guy about this lifestyle we must never forget that life is to enjoy...people in this world make our lives miserable as it is...dont do it to yourself even more...On the weekends i have 2 off days i usually have 1-3 light beers...somebody tell me where the harm is in that?

Far Beyond Driven
08-11-07, 8:33 pm
I had a HUGE alcohol problem some time ago. Some of you might remember it. Since, my recovery time has halved, and I rest better. That being said, I do still like a good quality beer or a martini every so often. Just don't do it often, and try to keep it as far away from workout days as possible. Remember, an empty fifth is a missed workout.

Liftbig21
08-12-07, 10:15 am
I had a HUGE alcohol problem some time ago. Some of you might remember it. Since, my recovery time has halved, and I rest better. That being said, I do still like a good quality beer or a martini every so often. Just don't do it often, and try to keep it as far away from workout days as possible. Remember, an empty fifth is a missed workout.

Hey bro i remember your battle very clearly and am proud that youve overcome it...Like i said a beer on a off day never hurt anyone (unless your pre contest).Just dont get wasted all the time..I never was a big drinker but sometimes ya just gotta have one.

Far Beyond Driven
08-12-07, 10:42 am
That's right. But when poison, and that's what it ultimately is, gets in the way of life, there's something seriously wrong. And it needs to get fixed. Thanks again to Y'all for the support.

bobbymart
08-12-07, 4:06 pm
i drink on my off days sat and sunday, i have'nt seen any negative affects im ready to go on monday i even occasionanly have a few beers or some red wine during the week but i dont get hammerd unless i have noting to do the next day and i make sure i drink alot of water in moderation i think it is ok. thet may just be me though

Tork
08-12-07, 5:13 pm
Hey Bro's,

Well, as most of you know if you have read any of my threads, I am still busting iron out here in Djibouti, but that isn't what i am here to comment on, I have noticed something, when you have a few beers or a lot of beers, you loose strength. I had a few drinks one time when I was here and the next day, it seem alot harder for me to do the weight that I normally do.

So as far as I am concerned on drinking, only special occassions. No reason to have anything unless like maybe a glass of wine with dinner every once and a while. I dunno how that would affect things, but I love wine and I love it with italian food, probably because I am italian, but i don't love it anywhere near as much as I love IRON! So this is my experiance, anyone have any suggestions on alcohol and food?

Thanks bro's

H Bomb
08-12-07, 5:47 pm
Keep it to a minimum a couple of drinks every now and then is ok, but polishing off a pint or bigger is too much. If you drink, drink vodka it is the purest with almost no sugar.

The_Beast
08-12-07, 8:51 pm
Damn. we are bodybuilders, why the fuck are you working out if your going to shit it all away with alcohol. Some of you people need to get your priorities in order.

ChandlerXJ
08-13-07, 8:29 am
Damn. we are bodybuilders, why the fuck are you working out if your going to shit it all away with alcohol. Some of you people need to get your priorities in order.

I haven't touched a drink since new years man, I'm thinking about making it a life long thing. I have never seen anything positive come out of drinking, and it feels good to be able to be THAT focused. If you are dieting, or even lean-bulking, ONE beer WILL hurt you. If you have everything to a T, the extra calories will hurt you, for real. Maybe you could be a pansy and skip dinner to have 6 beers after... fuck that shit. You either drink, or you don't. There are much better things to do.

Ter11h
08-13-07, 11:39 am
Its not worth it at all...I've seen many of my friends lifes get so fucked up from alcohol right before my eyes. Especially if your under 21 like myself, but either way if your serious about bodybuilding, theres no room for it in my opinion. The risks outway the rewards by a longshot.

Liftbig21
08-13-07, 8:31 pm

First of all i never have more then 1 or 2 beers at a time considering ive lost friends to it ...secondly your lucky if i have those 1-2 beers in a month and nobody is condoning it were all rationallizing living in reality not some self sucluding atmosphere that alot of dudes on here claim they live..Yes bodybuilding takes up alot of your life and i love it but if you suclude yourself from fun lives gonna seem real long and your gonna be a sucky boring person....Priorities are in order..and i love how you come onto every thread pointing your finger at people like thier doing wrong and your so hardcore...yet you take pictures of yourself talking on a cellphone in the gym on myspace...Seems a little contradicting to me brother.

spyderman4g63
08-13-07, 8:38 pm
I stay away from it as much as I can. Every once in a while (it's been at least 4 months) I will go drink with my bro and some friends. It's really a good time, but I can't have just a few. I don't like beer. Only the hard shit. That kind of scares me because alcoholism runs in the family, and I don't need that shit. The thing that really bothers me is the cigarette smoke that usually goes along with drinking. I can go out and not drink, but being around that smoke makes me feel like complete shit the next day.

GJN5002
08-13-07, 9:38 pm
Self control and moderation. If you have those youll be fine. My college days were a blur for a while and i never made any real gains until i got my alchohol consumption in check. Too much booze leads to a lot of other bad choices. At the same time, I dont see anything wrong with going out and drinking a few once a week, it helps to destress and normalize you- just dont overdo it because like anything else, too mch of anything is bad.

Grantski
08-13-07, 9:40 pm
Come on brothers this is not a place to sling insults. Your opinions vary....thats fine. Respect your diversity. I mean who wants to surround themselves with people who think exactly like they do. And please practice modesty. Im sure everyone here is impressed by your lifting prowess...but your not lifting to tell everyone how much more weight you can lift then them. So lets all follow the rules and get along, this world already has enough hate.

Phil800101
08-13-07, 9:52 pm
Come on brothers this is not a place to sling insults. Your opinions vary....thats fine. Respect your diversity. I mean who wants to surround themselves with people who think exactly like they do. And please practice modesty. Im sure everyone here is impressed by your lifting prowess...but your not lifting to tell everyone how much more weight you can lift then them. So lets all follow the rules and get along, this world already has enough hate.

Agreed. Follow the rules and keep the personal arguments (and I mean flat-out arguments, not debate or discussion) out of the open forum, not to mention keep it civil. It's all about respect.

MELTDOWN
08-13-07, 10:05 pm
great, just great, 11 pm's and now we gotta tag this one. stop the poo flinging, or we gotta shut 'er down.......

Liftbig21
08-13-07, 10:41 pm
I love this site...I love the forvm...at times...Love most of the brothers here...Love the pros and god knows where id be without their advice,Direction as well as some of the members here...Ive had some conflicts with some members and connected with most.But its stuff like this thread and some threads i've posted asking single questions...where you get attacked with hotheads talking to you like you don't know squat when in reality youve spent a majority of your teenage years missing out on the fun staying in with your face stuck in the latest issue of Flex along with getting all your meals in planning a gameplan for Iron war fair the next day.This place is supposed to be a place for the Fucking Misfits and yet we still get clowns in the process,No disrespect to anyone here,I thank everyone of you who've helped me and saw eye to eye with me.But its time to go into the shadows for a bit...Its time to turn my back to adversity...Going for a show in 08..and i dont need this high school shit...Ill be around and back when you least expect it...but I will be back..Bigger...Smarter...Harder...Any problems with this post...Gladly accept PMs or keep your mouth shut and your eyes open...Im comin around to make some fuckin noise...

In Iron
-liftbig21

The_Beast
08-14-07, 8:44 am
give this man a trophy...seriously dude no need to think ur better than anyone else on here. Some guys here are fathers, hav full time jobs and are in the army, you think ur bette rthan them cause you lift more weight, hell no. ur fucking 17, you haven't faced any hardships, alot of us haven't myslef included, if you were take say, ronnie coleman and well say Lowndown5 and compare them. Sure ronnie is fucking huge and is the best BBer out there right now, bu Lowdown5 has a wife, kid, full time job and many more things im sure, i got more respect for that guy than ronnie, who gives a fuck about how much weight you lift.

Havnt faced any hardships bro, right. I was just telling it how it is. I've been in the gym, 6 days a week, for the Past 1 1/2 years, no exceptions. I buy all my own food, bought my car, pay all my own bills, work full time with school, and even pay for the internet that im on right now. You think its hard bro, with kids, etc. but think of going to school 7AM-2PM then working 6-7hrs, then hitting up the gym with crazy intensity for another 2hrs, along with meal plans and schedule's that must be followed, every day throughout the week. again, you dont know shit about my life, so dont act like you do.

ghost
08-14-07, 9:17 am
Guys, keep the fighting down to a minimum. and END the namecalling...or this WILL get closed

krazyassmexican
08-14-07, 9:30 am

give this man a trophy...seriously dude no need to think ur better than anyone else on here. Some guys here are fathers, hav full time jobs and are in the army, you think ur bette rthan them cause you lift more weight, hell no. ur fucking 17, you haven't faced any hardships, alot of us haven't myslef included, if you were take say, ronnie coleman and well say Lowndown5 and compare them. Sure ronnie is fucking huge and is the best BBer out there right now, bu Lowdown5 has a wife, kid, full time job and many more things im sure, i got more respect for that guy than ronnie, who gives a fuck about how much weight you lift.

amen to all of this
one more thing i want to say

now we all now drinking and smoking dont mix with body building

i stopped smoking since u rep and a bunch of guys told me it fucks with the packs and plus i know the bullshit about cancer and bla

so i suggest
if u wanna drink dont do it often and go for 1 or 2 if u want
better yet
dont drink at all

since i stopped smoking i have more energy
fuck i did 45 minutes of cardio and realized that i had enuff energy for an extra 30minutes

last but not least
since we all have things clear about smoking and drinkin
someone shut this thread down

brandonA
08-14-07, 11:12 am
Guys, keep the fighting down to a minimum. and END the namecalling...or this WILL get closed

I have never like this thread, nothing but trouble. It in incouraging to see all the yourgerster denouncing the boozes....But we all have a right to our opinons, good, bad or indiffernt...

KEEP IT CLEAN AND KEEP THE FUCKING NAME CALLING BULLSHIT ON THE FUCKING PLAYGROUND...BRING THAT SHIT IN TO THIS HOUSE ONE MORE TIME AND THE SHIT WILL HIT THE FAN...

Thanks for your time....

Energizer
08-14-07, 11:25 pm
Arnold say's "milk is for babies, when you grow up you drink beer"

darkside64
08-15-07, 2:42 am
haha. you know in his book education of a bodybuilder, he notes on several occasions that he drank alcohol, and even got drunk. I guess arnold could do it all.

ghost
08-15-07, 8:59 am
This thread is getting ridiculous. many of the members have taken the opportunity to lash out at eachother and that is not what we are all about.

not sure who moved it here, but good job.

brandonA
08-15-07, 10:47 am
My distain for this thread is well documented..and I was on my way to close it yesterday but ended up at the hospital with Stacy....

-B

ghost
08-15-07, 10:51 am
Hope all is well with the baby, and stacey.......they are both in my thoughts and prayers

brandonA
08-15-07, 10:57 am
Hope all is well with the baby, and stacey.......they are both in my thoughts and prayers

Thanks bro that means alot...Stacy has had a headache for 3 weeks straight and they dont know why, her bolld pressure is up and down, but does not seem to be as bad as they 1st thought...She is doing well..she has an appoinment today with the doc to try and get to the root of the headaches, and may be see a nuerologist if need be...

The baby, by all accounts is doing well, already causing trouble...the nurse was trying to find her heart beat yesterday with the sonar thing and she kept moving from one side of Stacy's tummy to the other...pretty funny...
-B

ghost
08-15-07, 4:09 pm
Thanks bro that means alot...Stacy has had a headache for 3 weeks straight and they dont know why, her bolld pressure is up and down, but does not seem to be as bad as they 1st thought...She is doing well..she has an appoinment today with the doc to try and get to the root of the headaches, and may be see a nuerologist if need be...

The baby, by all accounts is doing well, already causing trouble...the nurse was trying to find her heart beat yesterday with the sonar thing and she kept moving from one side of Stacy's tummy to the other...pretty funny...
-B

im really really glad that they are both doing well...except for stacey's headaches. that is really funny about the baby bouncing around though.

GoodGerman
02-13-09, 3:04 pm
Yo brothers,

my question is if you fellas are drinkin alcohol, or if you got any resolutions to drink alcohol just in a few situation or how often you drink a month or something.

im just interested because ive heard you can destroy your trainingresults of the last 4 weeks if youre drinking.

How do you handle this?

C.Coronato
02-13-09, 3:07 pm
im on season so no. Not at all.

GoodGerman
02-13-09, 3:08 pm
and how often are you on season for how long?

Brick By Brick
02-13-09, 3:09 pm
I drink a beer most every night. I have been making progressive strength gains since Oct. 2007. My training focus is for strongwoman comps, powerlifting, and odd object lift training. I have some winter fat right now, but stay pretty lean (considering my sport) most of the year.

shizz702
02-13-09, 3:12 pm
I don't drink at all, but see nothing wrong with doing it as long as it is in moderation. If you can let it go with a few you're good, but if you can't you got a problem and it needs to be addressed. I used to drink quite a bit, and it came to the point where I realized it was either going to be the drinking or my training, and now way in hell was I going to give up my training over it.

GoodGerman
02-13-09, 3:13 pm
okay so you say a beer is okay, in my case im just drinkin on weekends (or on holiday) im just drinkin ive im not in my "gain-period" but then it takes a few more beers a weekend, i even try not to be totally drunken or totally crash...

brandonA
02-13-09, 3:14 pm
I stick to mostly water. I do enjoy a beer or 6 every now and again..When i do drink it is the nice, dark ales, so that counts as 2 beers....lol....

-B

GoodGerman
02-13-09, 3:20 pm
yeah drinkin a lot of water is my strategy too, if i do so i feel good next day so i didnt saw any trouble yet. i think if you didnt drink as much as you can every weekend its okay, i try to drink just a little till summer when im on holiday and then nothing matters ;) training shouldnt affect the life all the time, i need my fun ;)

arsilva
02-13-09, 3:20 pm
about this time last year, i would go out Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, even some Wednesdays, and still made gains. I know that right now, I couldn't do that to keep the size I've gained since, but it's possible to make some gains even if you're drinking.

GJN5002
02-13-09, 3:48 pm
Its great to see a thread where we arent automatically shitting on alchohol. I used to drink 4-6 nights a week, yes bad, I know. My senior year of college I got very serious about lifting and cut back to only friday or sat and special occasions.
I now, am a light weight again and generally have a craving for a beer or two not to get trashed. Unless its a festive occasion I generally wont get drunk, its just not appealing anymore to feel like shit for 2 days after. I will indulge in a good quality beer on friday or saturday night or if I go out to dinner with friends and family. No miller, bud, coors light though, if Im gonna take in the calories I want a real beer. Just moved to harrisburg and a local brewery called troegs is great.
While I dont see a problem with some occasional drinking, heavy drinking will destroy your gains.

Aggression
02-13-09, 3:51 pm
College times were full of drinking (3-4 nights/week)

Since college ended back in May, it got cut back to about 2-3 nights/week.

Since October I only drink 1-2x every 2 weeks. I've only been ''hammered'' 2 times since October. Every other time was just a few drinks to have some good times.

C.Coronato
02-13-09, 3:54 pm
and how often are you on season for how long?

It depends. Right now its 12 weeks, then we will see how that show goes, it could be up to 6 months.

theharjmann
02-13-09, 4:11 pm
i drink once every month and a half and get pretty darn hammered....not falling around hammered, just very very merry! Plus i only drink Whiskey which doesnt really help!

I dont train the day i drink, or the day after because i am so fucked up! THe next day i just take 2 animal paks, drink a ton of water, have a steam and eat as much food as i can.

In the month and a half inbetween boozing though i train my balls off. I have made gains.

THe less often i drink though, the better gains i make.

ronnie
02-13-09, 4:44 pm
DONT FUCKIN DRINK! i used to party alot while i was 19-21, well actually from the time i was about 15 on, but i used to really drink alot when i was 19 and 20. in the time i was drinkin like i did, i made next to ZERO gains. ZERO! apparantly drinkin between 2-3 cases a week is bad news.

however, i have seen a friend of mine grow almost everyweek while drinkin like an animal and poppin pills. he is a guy that is born with freak genetics and i believe has superman syndrome (even though it is impossible to actually have it, if any one does, its him, made up off all Y chromosomes)

its different for everyone. i have cut out even my normal drink or 2 during the weekdays. that coupled with my new training routine, i am seeing better results then ever.

the biggest guys i know are the ones who are stone sober all the time.

stumblin54
02-13-09, 5:06 pm
Plenty of threads around here from the past on partying/drinking/alcohol, what have you. It comes down to you to make the decision, and to do your research about the effects of alcohol on your body and your training and goals. For this forum though this thread has no use because it does not contribute to helping others reach their goals.

Stumblin

S-Temple
09-05-10, 10:43 am
What does alcohol do to your body? In terms of bodybuilding. Once in awhile during my cheat days I would have like 3 glasses of beer.

Joe J
09-05-10, 2:14 pm
It is empty calories so will make you add unwanted weight without any nutritional benefit.
Also, you do not perform as well as you normally would for days after drinking.

To be honest, everyone enjoys an occasional drink. :)

ontheEDGE
09-05-10, 4:01 pm
Assuming your 21, anything in excess = bad. Check out this article, it basically says booze lowers testosterone, raises estrogen and causes fat storage with empty calories. Ask me - not a fan of any of those. So on rare occasion I'll have a drink, but it all depends on how serious you are about your goals. To much is definitely counter productive to bodybuilding.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dean3.htm

BigChrisF
09-05-10, 4:17 pm
It's a little presumptive that the op is from this country to put in a disclaimer about them being 21.

Anywho, I wouldn't call beer empty calories, but it's not the best. Not all beers are created equal and they have different nutritional profiles. Three beers on a cheat day once a week or so won't hurt you one way or the other.

Machine
09-05-10, 6:12 pm
Take all of your books, your favorite movies, the most beautiful art you have laid eyes on, all of your favorite music, the words and ideas which have inspired thought in you all the years of your life and throw it all in the fucking garbage...because none of them would exist without drugs or alcohol.

Contextually; I'm not saying that we should all be fucking booze hounds so we can paint pretty pictures...I do believe that there is room to get out of focus and then to bring everything back into clarity again.

Samurai, all manner of warlords and generals, conquerors, philanthropists, and everyone in between have all tipped the cup from time to time...dont worry excessively over it. Life is being in and out of control at the same time, that is the only way to defeat the illusion of total control.

MACHINE

AntoineV
09-05-10, 7:13 pm
What does alcohol do to your body? In terms of bodybuilding. Once in awhile during my cheat days I would have like 3 glasses of beer.

I drink a beer or two a month

FewL4no1
09-05-10, 7:23 pm
100 beers = 1 post workout shake, in protein. Start drinkin....:)

But seriously....

I am highly susceptible to depression, so I stay away from the stuff. I will echo what Machine said, though, and restate that you shouldn't worry too much about it. If you can moderate yourself and know when you shouldn't drink, and when it's OK (like you said, cheat day) then you have no worries.

PORTERHOUSE
09-05-10, 9:11 pm
Take all of your books, your favorite movies, the most beautiful art you have laid eyes on, all of your favorite music, the words and ideas which have inspired thought in you all the years of your life and throw it all in the fucking garbage...because none of them would exist without drugs or alcohol.

Contextually; I'm not saying that we should all be fucking booze hounds so we can paint pretty pictures...I do believe that there is room to get out of focus and then to bring everything back into clarity again.

Samurai, all manner of warlords and generals, conquerors, philanthropists, and everyone in between have all tipped the cup from time to time...dont worry excessively over it. Life is being in and out of control at the same time, that is the only way to defeat the illusion of total control.

MACHINE

This is one of the best posts I have seen on this forvm.

Ironfreakshow247
09-05-10, 10:18 pm
I haven't had a drink since I started bodybuilding but some people can get away with it. It all matters what your looking to do, that being said nothing wrong with enjoying a brew. and machine every time I read what you say it makes me think about complexities in life in which I had never thought about previously you truly are an artist with words.

Brick By Brick
09-05-10, 11:28 pm
I generally have 1-2 drinks most days. I like beer, and there are documented health benefits to drinking in moderation. I am not a bb'er. As long as my diet and GPP/cardio are on point, my physique does not displease me. If drinking doesn't work for you, don't do it. Everything in moderation, it's a good rule of thumb.

BamBam
09-05-10, 11:33 pm
Nothing wrong with having a few and not overdoing it... but I don't drink. Don't want to and prob never will unless it is an extremely important event. I just don't want to do anything that will negate the work I put in every day even in the least little bit. I know greater men than myself drink and or have drank, but its not my cup of tea... er.. beer.. or whatever. I also have seen alcohol reduce stronger men than I to mere puddles of worthless shit. Stuff scares me honestly. Something so small can take complete control of u and I don't want that. Shits tough enough as it is without cracking a bottle because its tough and possibly worsening my situations. Oh well.. maybe one day. Ya never know. If u do drink.. just know ur limits and if u go over... be safe

D-Kev
09-06-10, 2:03 am
/\/\ Agreed.

Redbeard
09-07-10, 12:07 pm
I've really curbed my drinking in the last 6 months and since I've gotten more serious about lifting I pretty much restrict myself to about 2 beers on a Saturday night when I have no training the next day. Beer is one of the great treasures of the world but bodybuilding is a lifestyle of discipline and sacrifice, so all good things in moderation

Aggression
09-07-10, 12:46 pm
I enjoy a few drinks every now and then, usually on the weekends. I'm in the off-season, so I don't mind at all. Come contest prep, that shit goes out the window, along with everything else, 'fun', haha.

Altered Beast
09-07-10, 12:48 pm
Alcohol is so common not only in this country but society on a global scale. Just have 2 or 3 drinks! No need to get stumbling drunk. You should have been doing that from Middle School all the way through college or during your Fraternity days. Sorry if you missed out.

I personally cannot live without wine, champagne or cognac on a Friday or Saturday night. It doesn't slow me down one bit. Fortunately, I require large amounts of booze to reach intoxication =)

Just don't allow bodybuilding to obliterate your social lives. Life is too short to not get laid and have a few wasted nights, seriously guys.

AntoineV
09-07-10, 1:09 pm
This is one of the best posts I have seen on this forvm.

Yeah I like the way Machine points it out. It's part of this world, it's just a matter of controlling yourself and not abusing.

IronWilson
09-07-10, 2:08 pm
If you're going to drink, drink a lot in a short amount of time. Then you can throw it all up and not have to worry about it affecting your gains. :)

GODSEY
09-07-10, 3:01 pm
My cheat meal is Guiness... :)

LegendKillerJosh
09-07-10, 3:53 pm
alcohol is very heart healthy and reduces stress, both of which are good for anyone, bodybuilders included. However, I am talking about 2-3 drinks tops (maybe 4 if you weight 250+) on a regular basis. It is not the same though as not drinking all week and then having a 12 pack in one night, that causes the opposite effects and is very unhealthy. It is a good idea to have a drink or two on a regular basis (even everyday) just don't binge drink because then you stop synthesizing protein, and it will definitely effect your workouts.

also, the heart healthy benefits are from the alcohol itself, not the resveratrol in wine or the hops in beer, so it doesn't matter what you drink.

LegendKillerJosh
09-07-10, 4:08 pm
a lot of people don't realize either that the only things that effects your overall health more than diet is drinking and smoking. So basically, following a perfect diet but drinking and smoking is worse than following a shit diet but not smoking and drinking.

Straight2ThaBank
09-07-10, 7:32 pm
You gotta be able to enjoy yourself as long as you're not drinking often (3+ times/week) a beer or two a week won't kill you.

CallOfTheWintermoon
09-07-10, 11:00 pm
i get shitfaced probably every third weeks or so, before drinking i take in a slow digesting protien before passing out i take BCAA, ZMA, and Omegas and a quart of water. Also I dont drink the night before working out and atleast 8-10 hours after working out

MrBrown
09-08-10, 12:12 am
In addition to what's already been said, I would like to add that if you are a beer drinker, and you usually consume +2 beers during a sitting, one might consider switching to a more flavourful beer. In all reality, if you aren't drinking to get hammered and you're just trying to relax or maybe socialize a bit, 1-2 quality, craft beers can really do the trick. Im not talking about Bud, Miller, Coors, PBR, or other big brand names. I'm talking about craft, micro-brewed beer from one of hundreds of breweries cropping up around the nation. Supporting your local microbrewery not only helps out your local economy and a small business, but enhances your knowledge of a growing market and exposes you to something that can taste really good!

While I watch my physique very carefully and I like to see gains just as much as the other guy in the gym, life is too short to worry so much about the negative effects of alcohol while bodybuilding. Just use common sense. Obviously, if you're drinking like a fish 5 nights a week it will be hard for your body to move calories around and to make use of all that alcohol. So it would obviously make sense to just use good judgement and like all types of tipple - to use in moderation.

GC
09-08-10, 5:26 pm
college gets a little tricky with the drinking and nightlife. over the last three years i've learned that i enjoy my workouts and progress too much to blow it. Sure, the social life could be better, but in the words of kai greene, " I'm living my life too; im doing exactly what i wanna do, i've found my passion" To me, that sums it up.

Big C
09-08-10, 5:34 pm
I could care less what others do....that's their own choice, but personally I choose to stay away from alcohol alltogether.

I don't think anything good can come from it......but I suppose a couple drinks once in a while won't hurt.

The last time I drank which was years ago, I felt like death the next day - ruins my appetite, workouts, etc.

its Lbc
09-08-10, 7:01 pm
Im no bodybuilder, or powerlifter,i aspire to eventually want to challenge myself and stand on stage, and i enjoy being and feeling healthy. I still drink. But in moderation. not everyday either, and definitely not before training days. Everyone else has touched every pro and con on this topic soo theres not much to be said.

And you have to think too....Are you taking in supplements? Supps have there fair share of wear and tear on the liver depending on methylated pills or any type of supplement that can damage the liver. Alcohol Damages the liver. think about it.

Also...
Instead of asking whats so bad about Alcohol? ask yourself whats so good about alcohol? A lot of negative thoughts will come to mind.

BamBam
09-09-10, 10:38 am
I could care less what others do....that's their own choice, but personally I choose to stay away from alcohol alltogether.

I don't think anything good can come from it......but I suppose a couple drinks once in a while won't hurt.

The last time I drank which was years ago, I felt like death the next day - ruins my appetite, workouts, etc.

I heard that... I think last time I drank it tore my stomach up.. literally... I agree Big C, don't worry about others and DO YOU!

Aggression
09-09-10, 10:41 am
I heard that... I think last time I drank it tore my stomach up.. literally... I agree Big C, don't worry about others and DO YOU!

Beer before liquor, you'll never be sicker, brah.

BamBam
09-09-10, 10:57 am

I have never liked beer... except Sam Adams cherry wheat... but haven't had one of those in over a year. When I drank I had Maker's Mark Whiskey... loved that shit... but it didn't add muscle, just made me fall asleep faster and wake up feeling like hammered shit...

Aggression
09-09-10, 11:05 am
I have never liked beer... except Sam Adams cherry wheat... but haven't had one of those in over a year. When I drank I had Maker's Mark Whiskey... loved that shit... but it didn't add muscle, just made me fall asleep faster and wake up feeling like hammered shit...

Marker's Mark. Been there. Yeah if you have a couple of those, it'll put you under.

Altered Beast
09-09-10, 10:09 pm

Like the Europeans say, never mix the grain with the grape!

B. Rowe
09-09-10, 10:30 pm

MACHINE

GREAT post!!!

I have honestly struggled the past few months about this issue. I like to party and dance and have a good time. Alcohol allows me to come out of this shell i put myself in and just have a good time. In college I would go out 1 night a week during the season (sat night was our one night allowed out) then off season it was 2 times a week. After college it was 2-3 nights a week and one or two were big drinking nights. I busted my ass in the am after I drank, i would get up at 8am and go play basketball sat and sun mornings to burn off all the shit then relax the rest of the day. I was in great shape.

A year ago I met my girl and had no desire to go out and drink cus lets face it my reason was to party and be free and wlld. My body got slightly better with same diet and same training, nothing drastic. This year when i decided to compete again i gave up drinking all together. The past few months I feel like my life has become so boring. I feel like it has altered my attitude toward life. I am still young and dont have children and should be out enjoying life while I can. This past sunday I went out with some friends and got tipsy, danced all night and had a great time. Havent had that much fun in so long. Yes I did hit up Mcdonalds late night menu and didnt do my cardio in the am but I felt young and lively again.

I want to kick ass next year in bodybulding but I also have realized I need a life too. Im not going to go out boozing 2 nights a week but maybe 1-2 times a month I will drink (off season, precontest=no booze). Life is too short to not enjoy every moment but also you need to balance fun with work.

Aggression
09-10-10, 8:24 am
Awesome post, B. Rowe. I'm right there with you man. Totally agree.

smoothballer
09-10-10, 11:36 am
Awesome post, B. Rowe. I'm right there with you man. Totally agree.

x2

Kain81
09-10-10, 2:36 pm
Everyone here has a great and valid point. but i want to point out .. unless your stepping on stage anytime soon, i say (imo) have fun, your young. Better to do some drinking now than later. I'm 28, and have cut it almost 100% out , but when i was your age i def had my fun. But as they said, it all comes with a price. Try and keep it to just the weekends, and stay away from cheap ass empty calorie beers if you can, my best bet is always Guiness 100 cals and damn good. I mean you can hit up those 64 cal light beers.... but you might as well be holding a zima , because they taste like water. All in all, have fun but keep in mind alcohol will make every step forward in the gym that much harder , that is tried and true.

Vader
09-12-10, 9:27 am
Beer is for babies.....when you grow up, you drink milk....lulz
(or something like that)

AntoineV
09-12-10, 10:39 am
Beer is for babies.....when you grow up, you drink milk....lulz
(or something like that)

Pumping Iron question :

What do we see getting carried while Arnold says the famous quote : ''Milk is for babies... when you get older you drink beer''

widdlewade44
09-12-10, 2:06 pm
Pumping Iron question :

What do we see getting carried while Arnold says the famous quote : ''Milk is for babies... when you get older you drink beer''

answer?

AntoineV threw out a great trivia question here...

Kevin
widdlewade44

BamBam
09-12-10, 3:50 pm
answer?

AntoineV threw out a great trivia question here...

Kevin
widdlewade44

Its a giant painting of arnold

Oz_78
09-13-10, 9:18 pm
Since knuckling down on my diet and training, have steered clear of the booze. Had my bro's birthday and had a few jack's to celebrate the occasion. While it was only a 5 or so, next day, felt shythouse!! Back in the day, this amount would've been a light start to the evening, but now, knocked me the next day and being a special occasion, know it isnt something I'll be doing again for a while.

NJC_Manhattan
09-13-10, 10:04 pm
Its been said, alcohol is an intricate part of our collective. I'm not quite sure were to side on this one. Everyone is preaching moderation, but come on... If I go out at like 10pm knowing bars close at 4am (Yep, New York City is a beautiful place), then chances are I'm going have more than a couple of drinks. That's just me being honest. But this is like maybe once every few weeks. I have friends that go out from Thursday-Sunday, and they do a lot more than just drink. I don't know how I feel about that. To each their own I guess. I did that kind of stuff in college, we used to do a drink called a bear fight (car bomb followed by a jager bomb) then your excuse for being fucked up was that you got in a bear fight.... Or flaming Dr. Peppers (beer with a dropped shot of amaretto with 151 on fire) those could put you out in a matter of minutes.

But I digress, alcohol only becomes a problem if it inhibits you from your normal behavior, and/or prevents you from reaching your goals.

B. Rowe
09-13-10, 10:07 pm
But I digress, alcohol only becomes a problem if it inhibits you from your normal behavior, and/or prevents you from reaching your goals.

BOOOOM there it is folks!!!

d1sc1ple
09-15-10, 2:00 am
I have been a long time alcohol enthusiast, I always had problems with reaching my goals and eventually got serious enough to cut almost all of my alcohol consumption. It made a huge difference in my gains but more importantly to me I have been able to stay leaner long term. My biggest problem is that when I go out with people it takes them awhile to understand that "No thanks I am not drinking" is for real. Apparently other people don't like to drink alone.. Anyways If i do feel like I deserve a treat I may get a vodka or whiskey straight or with club soda to help kill the calories, It also is easier to sip it straight so you don't knock back a few to many.

Interestingly Yates would have one or two vodkas the night before a show to help him dehydrate some and to "calm his Nerves" like being 6 time Mr. Olympia didn't do that already. But hey I like the idea.

Juggernaut_Jones
09-15-10, 2:07 pm

Oh my gosh– SO true.

Drinking, in my personal opinion, is one of the stupidest things you can do when bodybuilding. You have to work even harder to burn of the calories that didn't even help you!

Aggression
09-15-10, 2:32 pm
My biggest problem is that when I go out with people it takes them awhile to understand that "No thanks I am not drinking" is for real.

Ha yeah I know this part all too well. Once I tell 'em I'm for real, they get it.

seranapearlin
09-16-10, 1:03 am
Alcohol reduce the strength, aerobic capacity, endurance, recovery time, and stop the individual ability to require lipid metabolism and growth periods stunt muscles. Also has negative effects on the human brain and affects the central nervous system. Alcohol causes severe nerve damage. Alcohol also causes muscle damage to blood cells and prevents their circulatory functions and sleep disorders, muscle pain, gastrointestinal and slowed reaction, and the extreme organ damage.

Fritts
10-29-10, 8:29 pm
So check it out I am no alcoholic but I do enjoy a drink or two each night. It used to be beer but now that I am following a strict diet I have cut any and all beer out of my daily intake. I started drinking a variety of stiff drinks such as rum or whisky just something to sip on as I relax in the evening. I'm getting kind of tired of the stuff I have been drinking and I'm looking for some input from you guys to see if you drink, what your drinking. Also to see what drinks could be better than others for us trying to keep a healthy diet in check. I know that it is not healthy but at least what you have found to be better than others.

Nix0r
10-29-10, 8:51 pm
I am a huge fan of Guinness.

Fritts
10-29-10, 8:56 pm
I'm thinking more like different mixed drinks or other types of straight liquors

Nix0r
10-29-10, 9:05 pm
Perhaps you could have something like a rum and diet. But you know, if the high fructose corn syrup isn't going to kill you, the aspartame surely will >_<

In all honesty, if you're gonna drink, just drink. Have what you like; it's really not going "kill your gains, brah." What you really need to know is what to cut yourself off. If you have a casual drink here and there, it's perfectly healthy. It's just when you're getting bombed day in/out that you'll run into some issues.

Fritts
10-29-10, 10:05 pm
Perhaps you could have something like a rum and diet. But you know, if the high fructose corn syrup isn't going to kill you, the aspartame surely will >_<

In all honesty, if you're gonna drink, just drink. Have what you like; it's really not going "kill your gains, brah." What you really need to know is what to cut yourself off. If you have a casual drink here and there, it's perfectly healthy. It's just when you're getting bombed day in/out that you'll run into some issues.

Yeah I hear you bro I guess with this being my first actual strict diet and training to cut weight I don't wanna be drinking the soda diet or not. But you ard right so long as I don't overdue it. Anything in moderation is okay so long as its in moderation I put the thread up to see if anyone had a specific drink or some drinks they have tried that were more on the healthy side other than your typical drinks you can buy at a bar. Big fan of trying new things. Thanks for the input guys, I have been drinking rum and cranberry juice sounds fruity and all but I use the light cranberry juice and they are actually pretty damn good. I enjoy liquor straight as well just get kinda tired of sipping it straight you know? I have always enjoyed rum and whisky any other liquor you guys enjoy straight?

Upstatebuilder07
10-29-10, 10:09 pm
First of all, be aware besides the calories alcohol is going to slow down your metabolism for 48 hours after drinking. Drinking every night is going to have your metabolism in a slower state. With that said Tequilla, straight up or on the rocks. I recommend going high end. I stay away from patron because it gives me a hangover and headache for some strange reason. But 1800 and don julio do me just fine.

Fritts
10-30-10, 8:14 am
First of all, be aware besides the calories alcohol is going to slow down your metabolism for 48 hours after drinking. Drinking every night is going to have your metabolism in a slower state. With that said Tequilla, straight up or on the rocks. I recommend going high end. I stay away from patron because it gives me a hangover and headache for some strange reason. But 1800 and don julio do me just fine.

Niw is that applied to anyone having one or two drinks a night? Or is that more for the ones who cannot control themselves.

CavScout1980
10-30-10, 8:55 am
If you are going to drink, straight vodka is the easiest for the body to process.

Big Wides
10-30-10, 10:11 am
if your on a strict diet, why are you having any booze at all? doesn't that defeat the purpose of a strict diet

ghost
10-30-10, 10:20 am
if your on a strict diet, why are you having any booze at all? doesn't that defeat the purpose of a strict diet

exactly.

Fritts
10-30-10, 11:12 am

New to the hole diet thing, was simply asking if alcohol is an option or not. But I see what your saying just asking guys.

altonjone
10-30-10, 2:56 pm
I think you could have something better solution like increase the gap of drinking and do have some healthy and full of protein diet with it. It is not bad.

rmt0512
11-01-10, 12:48 am
Depending on the situation, either Bud 55 for beer or straight vodka for liquor. But I've got to agree with the posts above, if you're dieting, you shouldn't be drinking at all.

quinto
11-02-10, 11:47 am
wanna know how i gained like 40 lbs in a year? drinking. beer, wine, vodka, all those are empty calories. if your on a strict diet, why put that into your body. socialize? sure. have fun, you bet. just by cutting alcohol out of your diet alone has some amazing effects. just ask lendale white. he cut patron out of his diet for 6 months, and came out 30 lbs lighter, and stronger than ever.

Bootleg
11-02-10, 12:44 pm
a lil coke n rum done no harm on cheat days. =d

N. Motta
11-02-10, 1:07 pm
If you are going to drink, straight vodka is the easiest for the body to process.

This.

Lately I've been enjoying a couple Newcastles, once a month.

Shadeeni
11-07-10, 7:33 am
If you are grave about adding muscle and getting 6-pack abs, alcohol is real enemy. Better you can understand bad effects of Alcohol and bodybuilding and also do NOT mix.

There are two huge reasons to pass up alcohol if you are a bodybuilder:

1) It inhibits gaining muscle mass.
2) It makes you overweight.

Having a beer or glass of wine once or thrice a month is not a big issue, what I am talking about is on a daily basis drinking or weekend binge drinking.

Zeus92
11-07-10, 1:40 pm
not only are the empty calories of alcohol a problem. But the effects of alcohol are in my opinion even more detrimental. Alcohol slows the process of protein synthesis, along with your metabolism. As well as ruining your sleeping patterns. Alcohol should be avoided. Basically it's poison to your body, why put yourself through that?