PDA

View Full Version : Weighing meat, before or after cooking?

Rostov
04-09-07, 3:50 pm
So today I cooked me up a nice steak. I measured it (on my electronic scale) and It weighed 530g. However, to my dismay, after cooking it weighed in at a lowly 300g. Obviously cooking food drains it of most of its moisture.

My question is, when weighing meat, should one do it before or after cooking? So, for example, If I cook up a 200g (weight before cooking) chicken breast I would expect to get around 40g protein from the chicken. But after cooking, the chicken only weighs 150g. Does this still mean that the chicken has 40g protein in it.

Im not sayin that cooking lowers the protein content of food, Im just not certain how to judge the weight of meat.

Dunk
04-09-07, 3:54 pm
No
Staying on creatine will not have adverse affects on your bodies synethesis of it

brandonA
04-09-07, 3:58 pm
Back in the day, they used to say to cycle the creatine, along with a huge doses at the begining, shit the term just slipped my mind...with more reacherch they found that all this was not needed...you can take it every day, no worries...

-B

emcdaniels
04-09-07, 4:00 pm
Back in the day, they used to say to cycle the creatine, along with a huge doses at the begining, shit the term just slipped my mind...with more reacherch they found that all this was not needed...you can take it every day, no worries...

-B

Loading would be the term that slipped =)

Dunk
04-09-07, 4:00 pm

-B

you're talking about Loading, which was supposed to be done for the fact of saturarted the muscle stores so it was available sooner.

brandonA
04-09-07, 4:56 pm
Thanks bros.....the air in my head must be getting a little cold...not sure how that response go to this thread though...i was anwsering a question on takin creatine every day...

-B

brandonA
04-09-07, 4:57 pm
to anwser the original question.....sorry, i have no idea....

-B

JMC
04-09-07, 5:29 pm
I may be wrong here but I think this is how it works.

Let say for instance you buy a 16oz steak. When your butcher/grocer cuts and packages the meat and slaps that label on there, that 16oz weight you see is just that. A slab of uncooked meat that weighs 16oz.

On the contrary, you have the nutritional facts label on there as well. They base those figures on "recommended serving sizes", based on FDA values (from what I dunno), but those figures are "ready to eat" values. When it says "serving size - 3oz" and "Protien - 21g" or what have you, they are basing those figures on COOKED or prepared food.

Like I said I may be way off, but that's what I've read in the past....

stumblin54
04-09-07, 6:07 pm
If I bought a 16 oz. steak, I calculate the nutrition facts to parallel that cooked or not.

Stumblin

JMC
04-09-07, 6:11 pm
If I bought a 16 oz. steak, I calculate the nutrition facts to parallel that cooked or not.

Stumblin

Cooked...
Not sure if you're asking a question???

stumblin54
04-09-07, 6:14 pm
This was a statement, not a question. I follow the label that's on the meat, and that's what I write down to keep track of my macro's...on the rare occasion that I'm recording my daily consumption...

Stumblin

JMC
04-09-07, 6:15 pm
WORD...

Toni69
04-09-07, 6:26 pm
Look at rice and pasta...the box always has the nutrition content for uncooked because when you cook pasta and rice, it swells right? So, 4oz uncooked pasta is not 4oz cooked. This is why you measure grains uncooked first. So, 1/4 cup raw rice grains actually give you about 1cup cooked.

Meats are the same, once you cook the meat, they swell with water...hence why chicken or turkey breasts get all puffy. If you buy a package of chicken and it has the nutrition content on it, I would go by that. So if it tells you the amounts for 4oz...measure 4oz and grill or boil it and you will be fine. If the chicken is pre-cooked, like a roaster...your going to have to look it up and approximate the best you can by weight. Keep in mind, buying pre-cooked chicken or meats will have a higher sodium content...most definitely.

stumblin54
04-09-07, 6:31 pm
Nice addition Toni. I was alluding to the packaged meat of course. You definitely cleared it up better than I did.

Stumblin

Toni69
04-09-07, 6:43 pm
I know its confusing because I have three books here that I look at for nutritional content on meats and they all vary somewhat. It drives me mad! I am the type of person that needs exact answers when it comes to weighing and measuring food..I hate inconsistencies.

I usually just take the three books and their figures and I approximate between them. I would rather guess high anyway. So, if I figured 5oz cooked chicken breast at 234 cal, 5g fat and 43g protein..I may be a bit over, but I would rather be over in my numbers than assume 5oz is 3g of fat when really it is 5g fat.

When you boil your meats, it actually reduces the water retention in them...hence why they become more dry as opposed to baking or grilling them...when more water is retained in the meat by using those other cooking methods.

auburn_1984
06-19-10, 3:07 pm
When you measure you rmeat do you measure it before you cook it or after? So if someone says they at 10oz steak or chicken is it pe cooked or after you cook it 10 ozs? I have heard and been told on another site to do it after cooked so all the fluid ounces and fat are cooked off and drained.

fawaz
06-19-10, 3:45 pm
measuring before means your measuring the flesh.measuring it after is whats giong in your body especialy if you have put oil in it.

FewL4no1
06-19-10, 5:24 pm
When you measure you rmeat do you measure it before you cook it or after? So if someone says they at 10oz steak or chicken is it pe cooked or after you cook it 10 ozs? I have heard and been told on another site to do it after cooked so all the fluid ounces and fat are cooked off and drained.

There should be different nutritional statements for raw and cooked. As far as protein amount, it shouldn't vary too much after cooking, and the fat content will drop a bit, unless you fry or broil it.

Unnatural Natural
06-19-10, 6:05 pm

Normally, you weigh meat before you cook it (raw). However, most websites that contain nutritional information today contain both measurements (cooked and uncooked). Be careful to pay close attention to what you're looking for.

Unnatural Natural
06-19-10, 6:25 pm

Normally, you weigh meat before you cook it (raw). However, most websites that contain nutritional information today contain both measurements (cooked and uncooked). Be careful to pay close attention to what you're looking for.

auburn_1984
06-20-10, 11:25 pm
Yea I just want to know for putting toward my nutritional calorie counting a day. WHen i measure my meat i was just wondering if to measure it pre cooked or not to put toward my food journal.

Unnatural Natural
06-21-10, 8:48 am
Yea I just want to know for putting toward my nutritional calorie counting a day. WHen i measure my meat i was just wondering if to measure it pre cooked or not to put toward my food journal.

Pre-cooked.

U Mad Brah?
06-21-10, 9:34 am
didnt know that many brahs measured their meat

G Diesel
06-21-10, 9:47 am
didnt know that many brahs measured their meat

This is the UMB? that I have grown to love.

The voice of reason in the FORVM wilderness, slaying the srs since 2010.

Peace, G

adidas
06-21-10, 11:20 am
cooked, raw, braised, broiled, scrambled, hardbioled...it's all in here!

USDA INFO (http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/)

have at it...

Survivor831
07-01-10, 9:29 pm
I weigh my meat after I cook it. I was taught to do it that way, and thats how I've always done it. It seems to work for me whether its the right way or not.

AntoineV
07-02-10, 11:07 pm
So today I cooked me up a nice steak. I measured it (on my electronic scale) and It weighed 530g. However, to my dismay, after cooking it weighed in at a lowly 300g. Obviously cooking food drains it of most of its moisture.

My question is, when weighing meat, should one do it before or after cooking? So, for example, If I cook up a 200g (weight before cooking) chicken breast I would expect to get around 40g protein from the chicken. But after cooking, the chicken only weighs 150g. Does this still mean that the chicken has 40g protein in it.

Im not sayin that cooking lowers the protein content of food, Im just not certain how to judge the weight of meat.

I always weigh my meat AFTER cooking it. It's more constant like that... you can get sodium/water shot up chicken at one grocery then you go at some other place and it's less shot up.

You can also cook a big batch and weigh your meal ration, your rice and your veggies and just nuke it. It's actually more pratical.

LegendKillerJosh
07-03-10, 12:38 pm
you can measure for your rice, pasta, etc...but for chicken, who cares? It's pure protein, just eat until your full. As for meat, a 3oz piece would be about equivalent in size to a deck of cards. So eat 2 or 3 decks of cards and you got a solid meal.

AntoineV
07-03-10, 12:46 pm
you can measure for your rice, pasta, etc...but for chicken, who cares? It's pure protein, just eat until your full. As for meat, a 3oz piece would be about equivalent in size to a deck of cards. So eat 2 or 3 decks of cards and you got a solid meal.

eating until im full with chicken would make me bankrupt!

John_Mora
07-04-10, 11:54 am
I always weigh my meat after cooking, its work for me. Is good and nice to know what you eat (Protein, grams, Fat, calories...)