PDA

View Full Version : Eating On... A Budget

dominatetheiron
04-27-07, 10:38 pm
i am a college student who bodybuilds, i have a very limited budget. I was wondering if you guys could give me some suggestions on creating a good diet with not a lot of cash. What are the best meats to buy, etc. any suggestions would be help ful thanks.

Shut the fuck up and train.

ProteinJunkie
04-27-07, 10:50 pm
Search the site bro...this link will answer any questions you have about eating large on a budget.

http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=290&section=

Peace.

GK37
05-08-07, 2:07 am
need help with a gaining diet for high metabolism that will help me make large gains over time. real gains helps, but what r some good cheap foods to buy if short on green besides the stuff in G's article about bb on a budget?

Young&Hungry
05-09-07, 12:08 am
need help with a gaining diet for high metabolism that will help me make large gains over time. real gains helps, but what r some good cheap foods to buy if short on green besides the stuff in G's article about bb on a budget?

http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?section=diet&ID=290

Perfect article for you. Read every single article in the diet section when you have some time. I did that this December and I can't even begin to describe how the gains have flowed in. Good luck brother.

GK37
05-09-07, 12:44 am
thx--got to reading most of the articles in diet section

ChrisG
05-09-07, 1:50 am

Perfect article for you. Read every single article in the diet section when you have some time. I did that this December and I can't even begin to describe how the gains have flowed in. Good luck brother.

Agreed man.. diets are all personalized and are perfected from trial and error. Do as much research as you can to find a good starting point and then modify it as you go based on your progress. As far as cheap foods.. get a Sams Club card or something similar and try to start buying things in bulk. For steaks I think the best deal are Eye of Rounds.. they're cheap, really lean, and easy to cut the fat off.

stumblin54
05-09-07, 8:27 pm
G basically listed all the cheap foods you can buy on a budget to gain. I'm a college student, broke as fuck, and know exactly where you're coming from bro. You have to be smart about buying, and buy in bulk. That's how I survive. Oh yea, and eat eggs and meat until you want to puke, and then eat some more. Good luck brotha, get big.

Stumblin

GK37
05-10-07, 2:45 am
ya--thx

dom1986
05-24-07, 9:31 am
what are the best foods you can eat on a low budget?
im already eating lots of chicken, tuna and red meats.... just wondering if there was anything else i could add which is not too expensive...
i have been on a steady bulk for half a year but its hard on a low budget :(
currently i am 6ft and approx. 210pounds...

thanks from london, UK!

(btw very nice site, much better than bb.com and t-nation... and that wrath guy is a fucking beast!)

G Diesel
05-24-07, 9:59 am
On a tight budget, I'd suggest tuna, peanut butter, whole wheat bread, oats, bananas, milk and eggs. That should get you everything you need and keep your pockets green. Peace, G

Arbalest
05-24-07, 10:02 am
On a tight budget, I'd suggest tuna, peanut butter, whole wheat bread, oats, bananas, milk and eggs. That should get you everything you need and keep your pockets green. Peace, G

^^^ You heard the man!

dom1986
05-24-07, 10:07 am
thanks :) ive been finding it hard to bulk.. dont know why.. maybe my training is not up to scratch or im doing too much im not too sure. ive been doign weights on and off since i was 17, but only got serious about 8 months ago...

Space Cowboy
05-24-07, 11:17 am
I feel ya bro, im in the same boat when it comes to bulking. We have to pay excessive prices for everything in the UK, (dont get me started on supps and whey). As G said, thats all you need. Before i entered this forum i never appreciated the greatness of the most basic foods, Oats! I cant go without them now and there so cheap. One beef i do have is its so hard to get egg whites over here from anywhere but online stores, tho i did find a place today that does 1 litre jugs (approx 33 whites) for 1.99. And even the cheapest most basic foods can be turned on there heads on this forum, with great recipes and ideas from all the bros, epecially G and Toni.

EASI
COWBOY

billmd1334
05-24-07, 11:51 am

What he said

Giant Killer
05-24-07, 12:02 pm

Don't forget cottage cheese, lean hamburger meat, & potatoes.

bharatoza
05-24-07, 2:31 pm
I'd suggest vegetables also. I don't know the prices in UK, but you can opt for either the frozen variety or fresh off the market. Green beans, spinach, broccoli should be good.

ironshaolin
05-24-07, 3:43 pm
Find a butcher that has good prices. I just discovered one that has chicken 1.29 a pound! I got like 7lbs for 10 bucks or something, last me the whole week. Eggs are real cheap, and a 5 dollar tub of oats can last a whole month. On a real tight budget, thats what I'd suggest. Also online you can find a good protein for like 20 bucks that will last close to a month.

Space Cowboy
05-24-07, 6:35 pm
Also online you can find a good protein for like 20 bucks that will last close to a month.

Bucks $$$, exactly, thats the point, ive noticed most things in the U.S cost peanuts compared to England. 5lb tub of Whey will set you back £30 ($60) here, at best. I jus took advantage of a deal for two 5lb tubs of O.N Whey for £50 ($100), thats the best it gets over here. A pack of 6 value chicken fillets will set you back £5 ($10) and so on........ Grrrrrrr, if ever there was something to wind you up before a good workout!

EASI
COWBOY

Young&Hungry
05-24-07, 6:37 pm
Don't forget cottage cheese, lean hamburger meat, & potatoes.

That bulk 90% lean ground beef has done fuckin' wonders for me.

stumblin54
05-24-07, 6:57 pm
Here you go homie...

Stumblin

workoutfreakk
05-25-07, 12:35 am
Exactly what is the "ideal" kind of beef to get on a budget (during a gaining period)? 90% lean, eye round, etc.?

stumblin54
05-25-07, 1:50 am
Exactly what is the "ideal" kind of beef to get on a budget (during a gaining period)? 90% lean, eye round, etc.?

My favorite is always eye round and I buy it in massive amounts, but 90/10 or 93/7 beef is great too, along with London Broil and most other cuts. The less marble there is, the cheaper. We don't need all that junk so it's good for us.

Stumblin

insane09
06-18-07, 4:14 pm
Let's face it some of us including me can't afford to spend hundreads of bucks a week to try and gain mass from the foods we need to bulk up. So what are some cheap foods that I can use to put on the weight I need? thanks.

ProteinJunkie
06-18-07, 4:18 pm

bigrhino
06-20-07, 12:09 am
liver. haven't tried it yet. it was $.99/lb last time i went to the store. i might pick some up next time i go. doesn't look too bad either 20g protein for 4g fat. pretty good ratio better than a lot of beef.

WillWest
06-28-07, 6:04 am
Vegetables are pretty cheap, stick a portion in for your 5 a day, keeps you sh1tting right aswell.

dIdDy
06-28-07, 8:38 pm
I actually found some tuna packets and sardines with no perservatives or oils at the dollar store the other day

king1
06-28-07, 9:19 pm
I still have my parents pay for my food for the next two months before college. But i try to ask for cheep foods since im the only one eating them.
Rice,oatmeal,tuna,ground beef, eggs,milk, bananas, wheat bread, peanut butter, potatos. If you buy it bulk at costco (or whatever wholesaler is in your part of the country) its all cheap. I personally dont, but when im the one buying it you can bet im gonna be buying rice in 20 lb bags and whatnot. It costs bout $50 a week for me to eat, less than $10 a day, 6 meals, seems pretty cheap. Thats all oatmeal,ground beef,eggs,tuna,veggies, chicken breast

Bigarexic
06-28-07, 9:43 pm
why does everyone eat peanut butter? too much fat.

im in your boat too man im all about rice, round eye, bagels, oatmeal, milk, carrots, shakes.

dIdDy
06-28-07, 10:02 pm

im in your boat too man im all about rice, round eye, bagels, oatmeal, milk, carrots, shakes.

the good kind of fat. mono/polysaturated fat. the kind that PROMOTES fat burning for fuel...

stumblin54
06-28-07, 10:05 pm

You're tellin' me PB has too much fat and you're over there eating bagels, one of the foods I dislike the most? Read up brotha, you need to educate yourself.

Stumblin

adidas
07-01-07, 4:34 am
5 dz eggs under 7 bucks (5 days worth right there.)
chuck roast angus geef steak 2.5lbs will run ya bout 9 bucks can easily last 5 days.
whole milk 3 bucks a gallon. x3-5 gallons for the week.

31 bucks for a weeks worth of high quality protien.

trissynashville
03-25-08, 11:26 pm
Maybe there's already been a thread on this general topic, if so, I apolegize for the redundance. But to cut right to the chase... I'm a poor college student living on my own, I hit GMC at the beginning of every month and see what's on special/clearance, I shop for grocery's, but again... it's all about what I can afford. As much as I'd love to pound chicken/steak/rice at every meal and keep stocked up with expensive supplements, I just can't.
I guess what I really want to know is what is absolutely necessary? I'm not looking to compete, just get big/stay fit, surely I don't need every type of supplement out there. So for you guys that know far more about dieting and supplements than I, I ask you this: if (and maybe you are) you were in my shoes, what are the basics you'd keep in the fridge/pantry, AND what would be the first priority(s) when hitting up GMC? Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated, I would love to know that what little money I have to invest in diet/supps is giving me the greatest benefits.

Dingo
03-25-08, 11:41 pm
this forum is full of people in your shoes. I was one of them and depending on what month it is still am (right now for instance)
my staples are:
universal whey pro (under 25$ for 5lbs from fitnessone.com)
animalpak multivitamin (under 20$ from fitnessone.com)
large eggs
tuna
pilgrims pride precooked chicken breasts (3lbs for 6-7 dollars at wal mart)
birds eye 12oz bags of steam fresh veggies (2 for 4$ at my local krogers)
smuckers all natural peanut butter price depends on size
quaker oats
sweet potatoes
when im feelin rich - kashi 7 grain granola mix
also, i dont know what grocers are close to you, but you just gotta be smart. shop for red meat thats on sale, as long as its frozen by the date on the wrapper it should be fine. a couple weeks ago i picked up 8 NY strip steaks for 25$.
if you have to spend a day off cooking and prepping food so be it, just depends on how bad you want it.

joe-yamma
03-25-08, 11:53 pm
there are lots of good articles on this on AnimalPak.com website under the "diet" and "livin'" sections.

first thing you need is the AOM (animal owner's manual)...
lots of good basic stuff in there, including a gem of an article by Schak on page 46 called "Bodybuilder's Home Economics 101"
and another gem by G Diesel called "Eat Like a Man"

get one here: http://animalpak.com/html/the_manual.cfm

also, just search the forvm for "budget" or some other keys words and you'll find lots of info.

Chin
03-25-08, 11:58 pm
Maybe there's already been a thread on this general topic, if so, I apolegize for the redundance. But to cut right to the chase... I'm a poor college student living on my own, I hit GMC at the beginning of every month and see what's on special/clearance, I shop for grocery's, but again... it's all about what I can afford. As much as I'd love to pound chicken/steak/rice at every meal and keep stocked up with expensive supplements, I just can't.
I guess what I really want to know is what is absolutely necessary? I'm not looking to compete, just get big/stay fit, surely I don't need every type of supplement out there. So for you guys that know far more about dieting and supplements than I, I ask you this: if (and maybe you are) you were in my shoes, what are the basics you'd keep in the fridge/pantry, AND what would be the first priority(s) when hitting up GMC? Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated, I would love to know that what little money I have to invest in diet/supps is giving me the greatest benefits.

Being a university student I can understand... I was in the exact same situation 2 years ago... But since I have found a part time job thus allowing me to buy better food and better supps but when I was at budget I was taking...

Whey or Weight Gainer... depends on what I was doing... Whey runs about $45-55 gainer is about the same...
Multi vitamin... any only multi they normally run about $25 - $35 for 300 tablets
Glutamine - I know costco sells them for 300 grams for $20
Honey or Gatoraid - Cheap as dirt under $10.. .POWDER ONLY....

As for Equipment... the 3 things I used
George forman grill - $50... best investment ever
Brita Water Filter - $20... saves on using bottled water
Ipod - $150... who needs a NO booster when you have disturbed yelling at you...

Food wise...

Lean Burger Patties... George them then consume...
Tuna... Convienent as hell and like $0.50 a can...
White or Yellow Potatoes... its like $3 for a 10LBS bag... carbs... dirty dirty carbs...
Mixed Veggies... $3 for a 2.2LBS bag...

And don't be afraid to go to the Discount isle for meat... the stuff is still good... just freeze it right away...

Chin

trissynashville
03-26-08, 12:39 am
Wow, alot of really helpful info there, guys. Thanks alot, I'll be keeping these lists in mind next time I shop for groceries/supps indeed.

never_2_big
03-26-08, 2:07 am
http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=290&section=diet

this article helped me out the most with some good eating while keeping the expenses down. check it out, and along with the rest of the advice you should be set.

Toni69
03-26-08, 4:36 am
I think my BB'ing is the one thing I dont necessarily budget for...I just buy what I need cause, well..I need certain things to accomodate my BB'ing lifestyle. I consider them necessities and food is def a necessity. I much rather have my protein powder, vitamins and food than another pair of shoes..then again, I have spent enough on shoes to feed a starving country.

I honestly think keeping it simple is the way to go..we dont need every single thing on the shelves to get the results we want in the gym, but stick with what honestly works for you. Your hard work, dedication and commitment will do all the talking, the supps are there to do exactly that...to supplement your lifestyle. Stick with the main things that really benefit your long term goals...that you feel honestly work for you...plus, your pocket will thank you for it too. ;)

As far as food is concerend, buying in bulk is a great money saver..like sam's club and costco type stores.

RenegadeRows
03-26-08, 11:08 am
^ wow toni... you and my wife together could prolly jumpstart the economy of a small country

scals
03-26-08, 11:42 am
^ wow toni... you and my wife together could prolly jumpstart the economy of a small country

Throw in my sisters and all of eastern europe will be running quite strong.

Toni69
03-26-08, 11:44 am

LOl..does she have a shoe fetish too? Its my weakness..shoes that is. I have been good though..I havent bought any shoes in over a month now! LOL Cant say the same for my supps though.

ironshaolin
03-26-08, 11:54 am
for supplements, your staples should be: Whey protein and a multi vitamin, #1(shop online, its cheaper than GNC)
if you have more, plain creatine mono is pretty cheap, then go for amino's, thats the priority order.

As for food, eggs aren't too bad. Get the local circular, I can always find one grocery store in the area that has chicken for 1.99 per lb. Sometimes I'll get chicken legs or thighs instead, they go for as cheap as .99cents per lb. Try canned veggies. Plain oats. Generic rice.

McFly
03-26-08, 12:56 pm
I think everyone covered it. my .02..... I have learned to save tons of money shopping the weekly grocery store sales fliers and see who has what on sale. it's a pain to hit 3 different stores but if it saves you 50-10 bucks IMO it's worth it. I've found if you do that stores like costco and sams club aren't always the cheapest for meats. they are good b/c it's bulk and the price is usually the same week to week but shop around you'll be suprised. also see if you have a btcher locally, I am hooked on 20 pound bags of ground beef for 1.89 from my local butcher.

oatmeal! I always have oatmeal and whey protein on hand. rice is cheap as shit, mix that with some tuna or my favorite, ground beef and you gotta good cheap meal right there.

i lived off of whey shakes with oatmeal mixed in and tuna and rice for damn near a year. my training partner at the time joked about me getting mercury poisoning from all the tuna i was eating LOL

hope this helps

krazyassmexican
03-26-08, 1:07 pm
from what i seen ground beef is cheap all over the country but chicago (at least $4 a lb is expensive to me)

so ground beef and brown rice or wheat bread is a cheap ass anabolic food

Brute
03-26-08, 1:09 pm
also see if you have a btcher locally, I am hooked on 20 pound bags of ground beef for 1.89 from my local butcher.

20 lb. bags for 1.89? Damn, can't beat that. What kind of fat rating? Just curious.

IRBS
03-26-08, 1:13 pm
Eggs - $1-2/dozen
Ground Beef - $2-3/lbs
Tuna - Cheap as hell
Rice - Cheap
Chicken - $2-4/lbs
Milk - kind of pricey, get the store brand - $3-5/gal
Wheat Bread - $2-3/loaf
Lunch meat for sandwiches!!! - very affordable
Natty PB - Fairly cheap

It can be done. I'm on a budget too, so I feel ya.

Feel The Power
03-26-08, 1:25 pm
Do most of my shopping at walmart and aldi's. Its cheap and effective. Tuna, eggs, oats, they sell frozen veggies there 10 bags for $10 dollars. Get most of my meat at walmart, but all my canned stuff, veggies, diet soda at aldi's. You gotta do what you gotta do... also I buy my universal supps from fitnessone.com like a person before mentioned. Right now on Pak, nitro, whey, and fish oil tabs.. i'm on a cut.

krazyassmexican
03-26-08, 1:28 pm
Do most of my shopping at walmart and aldi's. Its cheap and effective. Tuna, eggs, oats, they sell frozen veggies there 10 bags for $10 dollars. Get most of my meat at walmart, but all my canned stuff, veggies, diet soda at aldi's. You gotta do what you gotta do... also I buy my universal supps from fitnessone.com like a person before mentioned. Right now on Pak, nitro, whey, and fish oil tabs.. i'm on a cut.

aldis is like a paradise
specially for canned tuna LOL

McFly
03-26-08, 1:28 pm
20 lb. bags for 1.89? Damn, can't beat that. What kind of fat rating? Just curious.

85/15....OH and i meant 1.89/lb

great offseason growth food...i swear by it.

krazyassmexican
03-26-08, 1:37 pm
85/15....OH and i meant 1.89/lb

great offseason growth food...i swear by it.

that is fuckin cheap

lespaul59
03-26-08, 11:59 pm
My parents buy all of my foof so I have to be smart on what I buy becuase there isn't a lot of money to spend. Right now my curent shopping list looks something like this:

Meat:(from Wal Mart)
2 packs of extra lean Turkey breast cuttlets $5.50 for 1.5lbs give or take
extra lean ground beef 1lb $3.79, you can get lean ground beef in a 1lb roll for $2.96
canned chicken(just like tuna) $2.79, I just don't really like tuna that much

Carbs:
Kashi cereal $2.96(I think at Wal Mart)
2 can Organic green beans $.99
1lb mushrooms $2.99
Natures Own whole wheat bread, I like the extra fiber version
3lbs Granny Smith apples $3.99
bannanas $.69-.79 per pound, not sure how much I go thru a week

I'll also go through a gallon of milk evry 6 days or so. I go through two cans of chicken a week, I make sandwhiches with it. Also I get the all natural chicken, I think it just taste better. But it can be $1 more a can. And I'll have some type of pizza for my cheat mean. But this will pretty much get me through a week.

Feel The Power
03-27-08, 8:52 am
you know it krazy!! get 12 cans of tuna and 8 cans of chicken there every week. Plus veggies, oats, diet soda, cottage cheese, occasionally some shrimp or salmon. I don't think I have ever spent over $50 in that store. Make sure you have some good bags to carry it out to your car too. I look like one of the strongmen doing the farmers walk out to my car loaded up with canned goods. lol

KJoz
04-28-09, 9:58 pm
Hey Guys...

I recently moved out with my girlfriend and live on my own, times are not that easy with the economy going to shit.. Everything is slowly rising in price...

Was wondering how some of you guys eat healthy, eat a lot to gain size when your faced with a budget?? I am not saying you have to eat the proper nutrition none stop.. but its still tough to reach those goals.. Sure protein powder and mass gainers will help, but food is expensive as hell these days!!

Any tips? Suggestions? Glad to hear from anyone!

GJN5002
04-28-09, 10:48 pm
get a club card like sams club, costco, bj's etc and buy in bulk. it will seem like a lot of money when you purchase it but 3 weeks later when you havent been to the store, it will be worth it. watch the ads in the sunday papers for buy one get ones on meat and stock up. i go to the store every few days and look for the stuff they need to sell, the stuff that will expire soon. you can get a $6 steak for like $2 if it needs to be sold the next day.

EBO13
04-29-09, 1:04 am
eggs, ground beef, chicken, fish, natty PB, bread, pasta, oatmeal... thats what my college diet consists of... i have a full spice rack and try to change it up...

Warvstar
04-29-09, 1:40 am
Theres a place around here in Calgary that sell pasta for like .50 a lb. Oatmeal is cheap at places like costco.

theharjmann
04-29-09, 3:53 am
Think about it bro....it if fucking cheap to bulk if u really want to.
Firstly, if you wanna put on some serious mass you shouldnt be going out and getting smashed every weekend so you will save some money there.

Moving on....

CARBS:
Rice
Oats
Potatoes
Wholemeal bread

^^^^^^^^^^Buy big tubs of the stuff.....cheapest things ever!

FATS:
I eat enough oats, eggs and red meat so i dont really need any other fats. (Nuts can be quite expensive anyway)

PROTEINS:
Chicken
Tuna
Beef
Eggs

^^^^^^Eggs and tune are cheap. Beef is a little expensive so stick to the ground stuff and have it one ever other day. Chicken isnt as cheap as eggs and tuna but cheaper than beef. Buy everything in bulk and you are sorted.

A bulk is cheap if you buy in bulk! If you go the store every evening to grab something for dinner after work like the average office worker you are gonna run into debt very quickly. However do one bulk shop fortnightly and you will be fine.

Hope it goes well

BigBlueBear
04-29-09, 3:53 am
I'm going to second gjn on this. Sams club I hit up the freezer for 10lb bags of chicken, sometimes fish if I care for it, brown rice (when they have it), oatmeal (comes in 200 serving boxes), and...

Well depending on how you feel about your butchering skills, they sell meat in bulk still connected. Clean it up enough and you can get your steaks however you like to the ounce you like.

McFly
04-29-09, 9:00 am
buy in bulk and check the weekly grocery store sale flyers and compare prices. sometimes the bulk stores aren't always the cheapest when a grocery store is having a good sale. When money is tight I end up eating the same meals over and over, purpose over taste...

mritter3
04-29-09, 9:12 am
if you can buy in bulk do so, if not stick to the basics, eggs, gr. beef, oats, potatoes, etc

KJoz
04-29-09, 9:30 am
Thanks for the tips guys.. Got a costco card recently.. Will start taking these tips in mind when shopping for good :)

Thinking of buying a huge bag some brown rice for some carbs

fenix237
04-29-09, 10:03 am
http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=21158

KJoz
04-29-09, 11:59 am
Hey, didn't find that or i wouldn't have posted this!!
Guess an Admin or moderator can close this thread

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions and help

fenix237
04-29-09, 12:10 pm
http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=22504

LegendKillerJosh
04-30-09, 2:33 pm
Luckily for me I am a butcher so I make myself some extra-lean ground beef for a good price. I also get deals on whole slabs of NY Strips, Tenderloins, or freezer bundles of sirloin steaks, ribeyes, pork chops, whole pork loins, whole chickens, chicken breast and lunchmeat. I go to town there, and since I work 6 days a week, I just bring home whatever I want for the next day. Other than that, Wal-mart is very cheap for sides like pasta, rice, potatoes, breads, etc. My brother goes to Kroger everyday on his way home from work and sees what they got on the manager's special section (meat that needs to sell that day) for low prices. You will see most meals you can make for only 2-3 bucks or larger meals like beef stew, chili, and pasta that only cost about $1 per serving. Breakfast items like oatmeal and ham steaks are cheap to have with eggs. The best way to buy meats is to buy whole slabs of beef and pork or whole chickens and cut them up yourself. Then store leftovers in the freezer. You can always freeze meals you have already cooked too like chilli or pot roast. Eating well on a budget is easy if you plan ahead a lot, otherwise you will find yourself eating out or missing meals and those are very costly.

Rurik
05-05-09, 12:35 am
My father was a butcher up until the store went up in flames, so I'm relearning to pay for all my meat. I tell ya, it's one hell of a lifestyle change from free to pricey...

Goliathus
12-14-09, 7:50 pm
Recently, I've had to move, unfortunately.
I have a decent line of supplements, before I moved I had a great job.
I don't now, it blows.
I'm nearly sure I have a job at a Supplement Store, it would be VERY convenient, considering.

But my lacking point is the diet: food is expensive. I know there was a topic on this, but I wish different feedback than what I found.

Honest suggestions, the best food for mass for as cheap as I can find.

I have an organic fruit and vegetable supplement that I take, it helps tremendously.
I would PREFER to get sources of fats proteins and carbs from foods, if possible.
Unfortunately, I don't know the cheapest sources, and that is the opinion I wish

What do you guys think?

Muscleguy93
12-14-09, 8:25 pm
Milk -protien/carbs/fats
eggs- protien/fats
chicken-protien
oats-slow carbs
white/brown rice- slow or fast carbs
maybe some apples/spinach..ect- to keep the body regular and healthy
plenty of water

all you need man, milk/eggs/oats/rice/chicken breast are time tested.

deerenheimer
12-14-09, 10:17 pm
I have a budget issue too and i make alot of chicken and rice, spaghetti, beef stew, and chili. I usually spend 20-40 dollars on any one of the four meals and it last's me........well lets just say after about 5 days i end up freezing another couple of days worth. I eat 5-7 meals a day. Hope that helps.

wedge
12-15-09, 12:21 pm
Peanut butter and tuna are also rather cheap and good.

fenix237
12-15-09, 1:09 pm
Goliathus- check out post #63 & 65 above^^^

NJC_Manhattan
12-15-09, 1:18 pm
Eggs
PB
Pasta
Whey
Brown Rice

Simple and effective

LVs
12-15-09, 7:12 pm
This topic, from opinion, is about how to reduce overall expences and then to think about foods. So you just need to look at the big picture.

1. If you are serious about BB and your commitment is high, at the first level of priority you just cut out all the BS: parties, amusements, e.t.c. Just leave what is really essential for your life and survival.
2. Look at your expences and how you can optimize that through good planning and out of box ideas, like:
- transport (to plan routs better, to choose cheaper way of public transport, to buy monthly tickets, to use car with smaller engine, to avoid traffic jams, e.t.c.)
- clothes (to ignore fashion, to plan clothes requirements in advance and to buy summer clothes at winter time and winter clothes at summer time - in other words, to use clearance sales. If you have added another "X" to your size in off-season (quoted from G), and old clothes have become small for you, just cut sleeves and pants and use it where you can: at home, works, gym, e.t.c. The same for old worn clothes.
- Food. As I was thinking and working about that topic a lot, trying to improve it from day to day, I have made some priority levels:

* First of all, to save on food, you need to be well prepared every day through good planning
to avoid eating out. You always have to have bag with foods and invent some self made snacks.
* The more simple (closer to the nature) is your food, the cheaper it is. Less processing, better price. Just buy the foods that existed 500 years ago and avoid mainstream trend to buy pre-cooked stuff.
* Sometimes you need to compare similar foods from different angles to choose better ones for right place and time.
* Prioritize. Think about big things first. "Big" means the combination of its input in the BB progress, value in monthly expences chart and how much difference in saving your management of situation will produce. For me the list of food priorities looks like that:

Supplements. After 25 y.o. it makes really big difference. Cost per serving/per day should be calculated for decision making. If to plan and buy in bulk, you may save even more than on foods.
- Multi. Essential.
- Whey powder. The cheapest protein sourse after eggs. Very valuable for fast absorbtion, BCAA and glutamine in it. Must be planned and purchased in by 10 lbs. First thing in the morning, after workout and part of on-the-go self-made snacks (whey+oatmeal+milk, whey+milk+bananas are my favourites - prepared in blender for drinking and bottled).
- Preworkout creatine-NO drink. Shock Therapy. Helps to take more from workout.
- Antioxidant complex.
- Test (or anabolism) booster. Expensive but makes the difference. Think about that: you will spend your monthly budget on clothes, transport, foods to support a living process anyway, but when you add a test booster to that, all these daily investments bring much bigger dividends at the end of a month.
- Glutamine powder. Recovery, overall performance.
- Before bed GH booster. Recovery and overall performance. GH MAX is my favourite.
- All the rest

Proteins. Much more expensive than carbs, so more you save on that, more you win in total.
- Eggs. The cheapest and most valuable by amino acid profile and level of absorbtion protein. Easy to store. Easy to cook. The key is to eat as much per day as you can. To do that I avoid boiled eggs (taste becomes boring too quickly) and make an omelet with different spices. Eat at home and take outdoor in container. The combination of eggs and potatoes gives sinergistical effect on amino acid profiles of both so together they give you a protein which is very close to an "ideal" (the same for milk/cottage cheese/whey with buckwheat). Just throw out unwanted yolks, but remember, that 45% of yolk fat is omega 6 and also yolk contains lecithin, which helps to absorb cholesterol right; also lecithin is converted into choline and choline into acethyl-choline which helps to train better. Also yolks are rich in vitamins and minerals. Always buy the biggest eggs by size. They are more expensive per item, but more beneficial per weight.
- Whey powder. Per gram of very valuable protein it's even cheaper than milk. Easy to have a big amounts on stock.
- Milk. 1 litre Tetra Pak pasteurised bricks. 0,5% is an optimal. 1.5% is also OK but not pre or postworkout as saturated fat blocks NO production - proven by practic. Easy to buy in bulk and to store at home, job, gym e.t.c. without cooler for up to 1 year. 1 brick is actually a complete nutrient dense shake: 44 g of carbs, 5 g of fat 28 grams of protein (20% whey and 80% casein) and 350 kcal. Ideal in the morning, before bed and for postworkout - 1 or 2 bricks at a time will feed an anabolic window. If there is always one or two in your bag, it's your insurance policy from eating out.
When you are out of whey powder and need to wait for purchasing, milk gets it's job done for sometime.
- Canned fish. Portable, easy to store. No coller is needed. In combination with plastic spoons and bread in your bag, also saves from eating out.
- Cottage cheese. 100% casein protein. Good for postworkout meal and in evening. Can't buy in bulk cause shelf time is short. But easy portable for 1 day not to eat out (favourite combination with bread or/and bananas).
- Frozen fish. Much cheaper than fresh one. Posssible to buy in bulk up to fridge capacity.
- Chiken, turkey and meat are more expensive than sources, mentioned before.
* Don't mix dairy with fish - that leads to a party with porcelain throne and wasted nutrients.

Carbs. Doesn't really make the sense as soon as it's much cheaper than protein. But anyway.
- Bananas. Favourite on-the-go, postworkout and breakfast snack. In combination with whey powder and milk replaces weight gainer shake, if that is not affordable. Buy every week cause it fades away fast.
- Oatmeal. Favourite preworkout. Fastest to cook.
- White rice. Good for postworkout due to fast absorbtion.
- Bread. On-the-go snack.
- Buckwheat, pearl barley, millet, e.t.c. Should be on stock at home for variety.
- Frozen veggies. Good stuff. Just fill in fridge. Use microwave or cook as you wish.
- Canned beans. On-the-go snack, specially in combination with canned fish.
- Raisins. Rich in potassium. Add to oatmeal to make it more tasty.
- Weight gainer powder. Sometimes it's not easy to consume big amounts of whole food, so it can be very helpful one-two times a day. I like with milk.
- Spices. Cheap and help a lot in variety of tastes to raise an appetite and go through monotony of bodybuilder's menu.

Fats. You take them through consumption of other foods - just check the levels. But some additional sources may be helpful.
- Flax oil. Champion of Omega 3 per portion. Cheap. Cooler is needed after you open the bottle.
- Sesame oil. Helps in joint health a lot.
- Pumpkin seed oil. Good for prostate gland. No cooler is needed after opening.
- Walnut oil. Improves bloodflow in gender organs.

Water. Not to buy bottled water, just filter and boil usual water from the pipe.

Kryptonite
12-15-09, 8:33 pm
Costco.

Everything for your low budget, bulking needs.

ironshaolin
12-15-09, 8:53 pm
I spent 40 bucks on groceries today for the week. Ground beef and chicken breasts were both on sale, luckily. I got 2 bags of frozen spinach, 1 bag of frozen peppers for my eggs. I got 2 bags of frozen blueberries, they were on sale. Then I got Bananas, Kale,(the best cheap veggie) milk, and 3 cans of beans. On my way home tonight, I stop at Wal-mart for eggs and peanut butter. Thats my week, add on top some whey protein and thats it.

joel.recla
05-28-10, 12:32 pm
I'm just looking for some new ideas onhow to save money while eating great, and quick?? I'm up for any idea...

Ass to Ankles
05-28-10, 12:58 pm
Animal Cookies. I get 7 lbs of oatmeal for about 4 bucks and theyre super easy and quick.

joel.recla
05-28-10, 3:50 pm
Animal Cookies. I get 7 lbs of oatmeal for about 4 bucks and theyre super easy and quick.

How much oatmeal do you eat in a day?

LegendKillerJosh
05-28-10, 7:33 pm
http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=25229
^^^buying cheap meats

Ass to Ankles
05-30-10, 11:14 am
How much oatmeal do you eat in a day?

Usually a lb. a day or so, I go through about a 7lb. box each week. Cant beat that shit for $4

AntoineV
05-30-10, 12:43 pm
i am a college student who bodybuilds, i have a very limited budget. I was wondering if you guys could give me some suggestions on creating a good diet with not a lot of cash. What are the best meats to buy, etc. any suggestions would be help ful thanks.

Shut the fuck up and train.

The article that was posted first is rather complete. But as far as protein, if you can buy horse, it's really cheap. Well at least here in Canada. It's cheaper than beef! (and lean as a chicken breast) After that you can buy cans of tuna. So if you get breakfast with eggs and eggwhites, a lunch with horse, and dinner with 2 cans of tuna, plus shakes in between, I think you are set as far as protein without throwing your money out of the window.

my 2 cents

auburn_1984
06-11-10, 8:54 pm
Why not give this a try if you want to bulk. I call it "Mass Milk." When you make your protein shakes or drink milk add in some dried milk powder for some extra protein.

Loomis
06-26-10, 1:26 pm
this thread is the greatest... it has helped so much

quinto
11-03-10, 3:04 pm
alright. thanks to G, i want some chili. who has a beasty chili recipe?

quinto
11-04-10, 12:23 pm
got one. just threw some stuff together, and its amazing.

3lbs of ground beef
5 tomatos chopped into small pieces (about the size of 2 almonds put together for each piece)
2 cans of kidney beans (personally went organic)
3 tablespoons of onion powder or 1/2 cup onions
2 scotch bonnet peppers (for flavor. makes it taste like a ketchup blend)

brown the beef in a pot with about a cup of water. add your onion about 4 minutes after you added the beef in the pot. when the beef is almost done browning, throw in the 2 cans of kidney beans. stir occasionally. add in your tomatoes afte the kidney beans seem to warm up to the beef. stir occassionally, and allow the tomatos to cook, just enough to get soft. take if off the stove after its not super hot anymore, and drain the water. stir the chili around, and allow it to cool.

its a beast of a chili imo. not hot, the peppers just add some flavor to the pot. and i have about 7-8 servings of chili. if you want more protein, add an oz of cheese to your serving. should be a good 50-60g of protein in a serving size of about a cup and a half of chili total.

should cost a little under 20 bucks to make, and that puts your meal about 2 bucks each time to eat clean. idk about you, but thats a good 8 meals covered for cheap.

lyly10388
11-09-10, 12:05 pm
Search the site bro...this link will answer any questions you have about eating large on a budget.

Peace.

Such a very amazing link!

G Diesel
11-09-10, 12:26 pm
got one. just threw some stuff together, and its amazing.

3lbs of ground beef
5 tomatos chopped into small pieces (about the size of 2 almonds put together for each piece)
2 cans of kidney beans (personally went organic)
3 tablespoons of onion powder or 1/2 cup onions
2 scotch bonnet peppers (for flavor. makes it taste like a ketchup blend)

brown the beef in a pot with about a cup of water. add your onion about 4 minutes after you added the beef in the pot. when the beef is almost done browning, throw in the 2 cans of kidney beans. stir occasionally. add in your tomatoes afte the kidney beans seem to warm up to the beef. stir occassionally, and allow the tomatos to cook, just enough to get soft. take if off the stove after its not super hot anymore, and drain the water. stir the chili around, and allow it to cool.

its a beast of a chili imo. not hot, the peppers just add some flavor to the pot. and i have about 7-8 servings of chili. if you want more protein, add an oz of cheese to your serving. should be a good 50-60g of protein in a serving size of about a cup and a half of chili total.

should cost a little under 20 bucks to make, and that puts your meal about 2 bucks each time to eat clean. idk about you, but thats a good 8 meals covered for cheap.

Damn that sounds good bro. Gonna have to make another pot for myself this week.

8 meals for less than $20 ain't bad at all. Well done bro.

Peace, G