PDA

View Full Version : The Decline Bench

Bigschiff7
05-01-07, 12:16 am
do most of you guys think it's necessary to form a full chest?

Dean
05-01-07, 12:26 am
I use the dip rack to finish out my chest work, and i have a better overall shape to my pec's for it.

stumblin54
05-01-07, 12:48 am
I'm not a fan of the decline and haven't done it in three years. My chest is fully developed still, however, and I don't think it's a crucial chest workout. The ROM is pretty limited on it and I don't feel the pump that I do from flat and incline. If it works for you though then stick with it. Peace.

Stumblin

Reacher34
05-01-07, 12:52 am
I used to do it a lot and I have pretty well developed pecs. However, I haven't done them in years and in the meantime I've even heard the ROM is bad for your shoulders. Don't know about the truth in that, but its something to think about. Then again, certain people can use that as an excuse for almost any exercise. I know a lot of people who prefer weighted dips, and i have started using these as well. I love em and would tell you to learn to love them too. Keep in mind that different things work for different people.
Good luck, keep growing.

Fridge
05-01-07, 1:41 am
I can show you an article to prove that decline bench by bar or dumbbell is crucial to build up the inner portion of the chest. If you keep building the outside, it'll look like you chest is caving in. Not good. Decline is the best for the inside part. Not to diss the flat bench, but decline is best for quickest results.

Rags
05-01-07, 1:52 am
I haven't done them in about a month. For me its just to much load on a bad shoulder. I always have a P.T spot me on them, An always says my form is nice. Incline, flat, or vise versa. Then i thorw in some flys either with cables or dumbbells finished off with dips.

RoJoHen
05-01-07, 1:57 am
They're a nice thing to mix in my chest workout every once in a while, but I don't depend on them.

scals
05-01-07, 2:45 am
Probably do it once every 8-10 chest workouts just to add some variety but it isn't a staple in my routine.

Nightshift
05-01-07, 3:14 am
Throw them in once a month. You can also do Cable Crossovers straght down while standing fairly straight up ti hit the bottom of the chest aswell.

born0withno0soul
05-01-07, 4:04 am
Throw them in once a month. You can also do Cable Crossovers straght down while standing fairly straight up ti hit the bottom of the chest aswell.

this is what i do, i used to do a lot of decline because i thought it was cool since i could bench the most on decline. but i felt very little in the chest area. i have had great gains without it. but the cable crossovers in the down swing motion are awesome.

ghost
05-01-07, 8:37 am
I can show you an article to prove that decline bench by bar or dumbbell is crucial to build up the inner portion of the chest. If you keep building the outside, it'll look like you chest is caving in. Not good. Decline is the best for the inside part. Not to diss the flat bench, but decline is best for quickest results.

and this article is where?

waugie14
05-01-07, 12:09 pm
if they work do them

NickSP
05-01-07, 1:21 pm
I can show you an article to prove that decline bench by bar or dumbbell is crucial to build up the inner portion of the chest. If you keep building the outside, it'll look like you chest is caving in. Not good. Decline is the best for the inside part.

Before you show me that article, I would like you to find me a map of the skeletal muscle system (made by a professional(s)) that differentiates between the "outer" and "inner" chest.

As for the decline, if you like to do it, do it. If you don't like it or don't have access to a decline bench, then don't do it. Just make sure no matter what you do, you change things up at least once in a while. I reccommend DB's only on the decline as to not limit the ROM, and also keep the angle declined to 45 degrees or less, just like with the incline too steep of a slope is a no-go.

Fridge
05-01-07, 1:49 pm
and this article is where?

Heres the link--http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/weight.htm-- to the article i was talkin about. Basically, this pofessor ran tests with an EMG machine (electromyographic) to see which muscle cells and muscles were stimulated the most with what exercise.

To NickSp
The pecs are divided to two groups the pectoralis major (inner chest) and the pectoralis minor (outer chest). The outer portions of the chest usually becomes the ones more developed than the inside due to other exercises utilizing this muscle as wesuch as the bar dip.

live2lift
05-01-07, 2:03 pm
To NickSp
The pecs are divided to two groups the pectoralis major (inner chest) and the pectoralis minor (outer chest). The outer portions of the chest usually becomes the ones more developed than the inside due to other exercises utilizing this muscle as wesuch as the bar dip.

Not to try to correct anyone here but isn't the pectoralis major on top of the pectoralis minor? At least that is what I have always known, not inner and outer. That is almost the same thing as upper and lower abs. I don't think there is a such thing. Anyways, I never do decline bench (and I do not lack pec developement)because I feel that you do not get enough pectoral stimulation from them due to the short ROM. Just my opinion brothas...I could be wrong. Peace.

mcbeast
05-01-07, 2:29 pm
to me decline bench is a hoax,the rom is crap.dips make the motion alot better...and soon weighted dips even better...the decline is almost a false sense of strength,ur throwin up so much weight..or maybe its just all me cuz at the end of the set i cant see i use so much force and all the blood is in my head lol only decline thing i liek is fly's hah

k1usa
05-01-07, 2:42 pm
I get a good pump from the Hammer Streangth machine/Decline....safer...and get a better shot at ROM...and dont need a spotter.....just my 2 cents

eric downey
05-01-07, 2:52 pm

ive been training both powerlifting na dbodybuilding for 10 years and i can count how many times on 1 hand how many times ive used a decline bench. but if you feel it works for you. have at it bro

JMC
05-01-07, 2:57 pm
I get a good pump from the Hammer Streangth machine/Decline....safer...and get a better shot at ROM...and dont need a spotter.....just my 2 cents

I do those once in a while as well. They're by no means a staple of my chest workouts, but to change shit up once in a while...

tekky
05-01-07, 2:59 pm
I use the dip rack to finish out my chest work, and i have a better overall shape to my pec's for it.

Yeah, I feel the ROM isn't enough to stimulate my pecs and I like to finish my chest workout with the dip rack too. peace

Fridge
05-01-07, 3:18 pm
I wasnt here to prove that decline is the best way to go over other exercises, but it it does stimulate the most muscle cells whether or not you feel it. You probably dont feel it as much because of the amount of power you actually have in that position. Try a heavier weight, or more reps, would be my advice. Again im not downplaying the flat bench, incline or any other chest exercise,in fact i would rather pick incline and flat bench over decline im just stating what has been proven to develop muscle the fastest. Whether or not it works for you is a different subject, and totally up to you.

k1usa
05-01-07, 3:22 pm
I do those once in a while as well. They're by no means a staple of my chest workouts, but to change shit up once in a while...

agree....its a good move to rotate in with the split
sometimes....

good point bro...

pdiesel
05-01-07, 3:32 pm
i never do decline..im already built fine in the lower pec region all due to flat bench press and flys..in my opinion the incline bench should be utilized more often to develop a fuller thicker chest..

ironshaolin
05-01-07, 3:50 pm
personally, I prefer cable cross overs and dips for lower chest. The only decline press move I REAlly like is the hammer strength wide grip. That machine is awsome for chest. You can get that awsome squeeze at the top, and really stretch it in the bottom. I like how it goes from a wide position, into a narrow at the top.

musclealchemist
05-01-07, 3:55 pm
well for me i have been doing them for a good while, i like it. I usually do it as the last workout for my chest. I use DBs and i flex them hard and go slow when i do, but to each his own

Arbalest
05-01-07, 3:57 pm

Nope...

Incline/Flat Press
Flyes
Gironda (Wide Grip) Dips

Have fun :)

Arbalest
05-01-07, 3:59 pm
That website is just a way for that guy to sell his training books.

Just proposed theory, and "tests" to back up his training methods.

JMC
05-01-07, 4:06 pm
Word on those dips man...I'm hooked!!

Arbalest
05-01-07, 4:20 pm

Man, my chest has started to grow like crazy.. i have a stubborn chest, and after i started doing the wide-grip dips with perfect form... WOW is all i can say.

JMC
05-01-07, 4:27 pm
Man, my chest has started to grow like crazy.. i have a stubborn chest, and after i started doing the wide-grip dips with perfect form... WOW is all i can say.

Actually thinking about it, I rarely do the wide grip dips. The one machine has the handles that flip out...I usually keep them in. I'll incorporate the wide grip on chest days for a bit. Thanks for the reminder bro...

Fridge
05-01-07, 6:20 pm
That website is just a way for that guy to sell his training books.

Just proposed theory, and "tests" to back up his training methods.

I wouldnt be so naive. If you scroll down the screen a little and do some reading, you'll see the name Lorenzo Cornacchia, former bodybuilder and wrestler and who has a degree in Physical eduacation and health, and combined with Dr.Mauro DiPasquale to conduct the experiment to see which muscles were the most activated by which exercise. So yes, although that site may be selling books, it as well provides adequate and valid information on building muscle. And the creator of that site has a masters degree in physiology and human kinetics, so i would say he knows a thing or two about muscle building. Just thought i'd let you know. Do some research before making claims.

Rooster
05-01-07, 6:32 pm
Heres the link--http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/weight.htm-- to the article i was talkin about. Basically, this pofessor ran tests with an EMG machine (electromyographic) to see which muscle cells and muscles were stimulated the most with what exercise.

To NickSp

I found this to be a very informative site on muscle diagrams.

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Peace

leafs43
05-01-07, 6:43 pm
I think dips on tricep days and flat bench dumbell press on chest days target the muscles that decline would just fine without putting so much pressure on your shoulders.

Just for good messure i do throw in decline dumbells every now and again (barbell decline really hurts my rotator cuff so i stay away from it)

king1
05-01-07, 11:12 pm
Close grip decline bench is awesome for tris. I can push the same on that as regular flat bench. So for tri's this is a hugely overlooked lift.

Rags
05-02-07, 4:43 am

Theres nothing like doing dips to failure at the end of a chest workout. what ever strength you have in your pecs is gone. Not to mention they drain that much more of your stablizer muscles as well. So in the end im my chest an tri's are exploding thru my shirts..

the-craig
05-13-07, 11:17 am
does this actualy build the lower chest iv read different things saying it does and other places saying that it has a small range of motion and wont build muscle, is there anyone here that does it and does it work for you?

tnt
05-13-07, 2:14 pm
I will occasionally do decline bench, just to mix things up.

If you need more overall chest thickness do heavy incline bench, that has worked good for me as well as heavy flies.

Remember if you arn't seeing spots, you need to add some more weight.

strength & honor

-TNT

rocky36
05-13-07, 2:22 pm
hey bro heres a thread that may have some of the info your lookin for..

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=6144&highlight=decline+bench

k1usa
05-13-07, 3:45 pm
its a good move...but I use the Hammer Streangth machine since I fucked my shoulder up...I use it as a in between pump...its a good thing to keep around bro....and as always...mix it up...always keep the muscles guessing

Jigga What
05-13-07, 4:00 pm
Is this the gironda dip http://www.t-nation.com/img/photos/06-092-training/image042.jpg.

Arbalest
05-13-07, 4:07 pm
Is this the gironda dip http://www.t-nation.com/img/photos/06-092-training/image042.jpg.

Yes. Lovely isn't it?

Bruiser
05-13-07, 4:11 pm
decline will build the lower chest, but be sure to do as much if not more incline to keep proportionate. too much decline BP and you'll have hanging pecs that can look droopy. SInce I started doing more inclines and developing my upper chest, my lower chest actually looks fuller. You might want to give that a try

Arbalest
05-13-07, 4:17 pm
I wouldnt be so naive. If you scroll down the screen a little and do some reading, you'll see the name Lorenzo Cornacchia, former bodybuilder and wrestler and who has a degree in Physical eduacation and health, and combined with Dr.Mauro DiPasquale to conduct the experiment to see which muscles were the most activated by which exercise. So yes, although that site may be selling books, it as well provides adequate and valid information on building muscle. And the creator of that site has a masters degree in physiology and human kinetics, so i would say he knows a thing or two about muscle building. Just thought i'd let you know. Do some research before making claims.

Hey bro... Just layin it there. You can show me every single report you can google, but until the day Decline's build great chests, i'll stick with tried-and-true knowledge.

And yes, i do know who both of those people are. In fact, i HAVE read many of their works, because i do research... doesn't mean i take it for fact. Thats the problem these days...

Like everyone is saying.. Do what works for you.

Arbalest

the-craig
05-13-07, 4:50 pm
thanks for feedback and i do alot of incline 3sets incline presses and 2sets incline flies, i wouldnt be replacing the inclines with the declines just adding it in every so often

the-craig
05-13-07, 4:52 pm
forgot 2 ask whats hammer strength machines aswel?

Jigga What
05-14-07, 3:51 pm
Yes. Lovely isn't it?

looks hard and painfull lol. Gonna have to try it soon

grissinger
05-15-07, 9:51 am
Weighted dips hammer you lower pecs.

Anton37
08-02-07, 9:39 am
past week added decline bench into my workout routine, and i dont know really feels like a waste of my time because it works such a small muscle on your lower chest and really never seen any big results with it before in my routine, would you guys recommend it being in my workout routine or is it really just a waste of time?

krazyassmexican
08-02-07, 9:41 am
i will check this thread a lot since my lower chest dont have any size
and i wanna do something about it

Terranova1340
08-02-07, 9:42 am
I think on a previous post somewhere its stated that Decline has its place but just not to overdo it, because if you overdo it it will give you "saggy" pecs.

Anton37
08-02-07, 9:45 am
well i did it before when was getting ready for my show it really helped me round out my lower chest, makes your chest stick out more, but like lately just been doin it in my new gym really doesnt seem to be doing anything so im having doubts, plus when i do dumbell fly's and chest press seems like its hitting the lower chest too. Just seeing what others have to say about decline.

Riesjs
08-02-07, 11:27 am
You can normally do a heavier wt with this movement due to the smaller range of motion. Thats about it. I rarely use the decline benching, usually i only use it for skull crushers and abs... Yes you can use it for benching to change things up a bit but dont let it turn into a habit. I have seen much better gains with flat and incline. I would rather see you stick to flat and incline, benching and flye movements.

pdiesel
08-02-07, 11:36 am
imo it's not worth the time..why would you wanna overly develop the lower pecs? flat bench is sufficient

krazyassmexican
08-02-07, 11:41 am
in my case they dont look full that's why
imo it's not worth the time..why would you wanna overly develop the lower pecs? flat bench is sufficient

BigAnt
08-02-07, 11:49 am
past week added decline bench into my workout routine, and i dont know really feels like a waste of my time because it works such a small muscle on your lower chest and really never seen any big results with it before in my routine, would you guys recommend it being in my workout routine or is it really just a waste of time?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is no lower - upper chest, only pec major - minor...you train heavy with good from on a bench press-incline press-dips or even push ups..the entire chest gets blood -flow-oxygen into muscles, you eat enough, it will grow!

Declines, just anotther exercise to "mix" things up with, I sometimes do decline smith presses for variety or when I do my "active rest" high rep training!

G Diesel
08-02-07, 11:54 am

There is no lower - upper chest, only pec major - minor...you train heavy with good from on a bench press-incline press-dips or even push ups..the entire chest gets blood -flow-oxygen into muscles, you eat enough, it will grow!

Declines, just anotther exercise to "mix" things up with, I sometimes do decline smith presses for variety or when I do my "active rest" high rep training!

Well played, Big Ant... Good post. Way to dispel the typical bbing urban myths. Train hard and heavy, use variety and implement multiple angles if you want complete development. Peace, G

krazyassmexican
08-02-07, 11:55 am
Well played, Big Ant... Good post. Way to dispel the typical bbing urban myths. Train hard and heavy, use variety and implement multiple angles if you want complete development. Peace, G thanks g and big ant

COLE
08-02-07, 12:03 pm

So another words what BigAnt is saying is you don't need to "depend" on Declines for over all development of your chest. I don't know of to many people that do declines religiously and they have great chest development.

I rarely ever do declines but I do throw dips in the mix often.

jonsbsn
08-02-07, 12:29 pm
yeah, I never decline. Sometimes I will do decline flys but that's it. I like those because it feels like you can get a good squeeze at that angle. Other then that its flat/incline/dips/pullovers for my chest workout... works wonders for mass. I have a naturally small chest but now its finally starting to look impressive.

Anton37
08-02-07, 1:04 pm
yea thats why i was asking, havent put declines in my routine for over 3 months havent done them at all for the matter of a fact, yea dips is probobly better cuz they deffinatley hit the chest harder way harder for that fact.

lil ox
08-02-07, 1:05 pm
I do them about every 3-4 weeks just to mix it up, I like to superset smith presses with flyes but I definately don't depend on decline moves for chest.

Heavy P
08-02-07, 2:56 pm
I do it every once in a while just to mix things up

pdiesel
08-02-07, 8:58 pm

im going to have to be the rebel here and disagree with you..i know this arguement has been brought up hundreds of times, but i truly feel that one can place more emphasis on a particular part of the chest..for example, i noticed that when i initially was doing bench press, my motion out of the bottom of the rep was not straight up and down, but rather up and away from my body..i soon learned that this was the improper way to bench and to not sacrifice form for the sake of quality..i ALSO noticed that my LOWER pecs blew up because of this, creating a noticable imbalance..

another point--lately, i have been doing all upper chest moves in my routine to really create a deep split between the upper and lower pecs, and to also stimulate different portions of my chest..i have noticed that i have had much more soreness in the upper and middle portions of the chest, and not as much as in the lower and outer chest..the reason being that i was not doing cable crossovers from the top of the column (good for outer pecs)..instead i was hitting cables from the bottom of the column..ALSO, instead of hitting a wide grip flat bench, i hit a more narrow incline bench, which i feel places MORE EMPHASIS (notice i say more emphasis and not total isolation) on the upper chest..idk just some observations

hjayss
08-03-07, 2:37 am
I do decline db presses on db day. bb declines on bb day..and I love decline flys get use to em really helps full developement of the chest...If that is what you want..

Anton37
08-03-07, 5:27 am
good points on the declines i think ill be doing them for a lil while ill put them into my routine for a month wont do harm either way.

security1769
08-03-07, 2:24 pm

i have to disagree with you bigant. the pectoralis minor is deep to the pectoralis major and can't be seen. the pectoralis major acts almost like two different muscles, reason being is that it has two different heads. one attaches to the sternum (sternal head) and the other to the clavicle (clavicular head). when doing flat bench (and even more so decline) you're not hitting the clavicular head as well as the sternal head. for the past 2-3 years i've been focusing on bringing up my "upper chest" or the clavicular head as it was severely lacking. with this idea in hand, i started hitting mainly inclines on chest day. heavy bar, heavy db, the a superset with incline cable flies and incline smith. i have since decided that i was over training a bit, but none the less, my upper chest has improved leaps and bounds.

now that the clavicular portion is caught up, i am still continuing with most of my workout consisting of incline, though i do throw in the occasional flat bench. i never do decline, it's just not needed for me. i find that for some people though that adjust to easily to their routines it's a good exercise to switch things up. so to conclude my long winded post lol, i would say that you need to figure out what works best for you and go from there.

DRAKE LIKES GYM
12-12-07, 2:06 am
I look at a lot of training logs for chest and I rarely see people who do decline bench. Whats with that? Is it a waste of time because when I ever I do them I feel great and get a real good pump. just seeing what other people think about decline

RoJoHen
12-12-07, 3:33 am
I personally just think they're awkward to do.

My dad does them a lot because he hurt his shoulder, and declines are the only press he can do without causing him pain.

Nightshift
12-12-07, 3:42 am
Decline movments, whether it's straight bench, Hammer Strength, or flyes, are important for full chest development.

twisted_steel
12-12-07, 3:55 am
kinda funny but i read in a study done at a university by using electronic measurement of muscle fibre recruitment...decline bench press requires the most % of muscle fibres of the chest to be firing. about 96% compared to 80% on barbell flat bench.

kyderz
12-12-07, 4:46 am
Maybe I should start doing them.

What about hammer strength "decline" machines?

Is it the same, since the angle of pressing is basically the same?

hayden_28
12-12-07, 4:57 am
I look at a lot of training logs for chest and I rarely see people who do decline bench. Whats with that? Is it a waste of time because when I ever I do them I feel great and get a real good pump. just seeing what other people think about decline

i do decline but flies and afterwards ur tits feel like they have been nailed. I rate the exercise as one of my highest.

hayden_28
12-12-07, 4:57 am
Maybe I should start doing them.

What about hammer strength "decline" machines?

Is it the same, since the angle of pressing is basically the same?

FOR SURE, you will never look back!

kyderz
12-12-07, 5:01 am
What about weighted dips?

Are they a good substitute?

Nightshift
12-12-07, 5:04 am
What about weighted dips?

Are they a good substitute?

They do the job as well!

kyderz
12-12-07, 5:05 am
OK, good.

I'll start tossing those in there.

Octopod
12-12-07, 7:05 am
Hammer strenght declines are good finishers, cuz when I do them I feel them mainly in the middle of the pecs, and not the lower region, and as for building the lower part of the pectorals, it's my humble opinion that dips are way better cuz they hit the lower and middle part of the pecs, not to mention the tri's and the anterior delts, which is better than focusing on just your lower pecs.

P.S.
An old timer from the gym I go to, said that the worst thing for him is doing battle against his man boobs, since gyno set in when he was like 40 and it set in on his overdeveloped lower pectorals... Looks awfull, better concentrate on upper and middle pecs, looks way better anyway.

ghost
12-12-07, 7:29 am
anytime i hit chest, decline DB is one of my top exercises for some hardcore pump, stimulation, and growth.

Tiny
12-12-07, 8:08 am
I've played with declines over the years. I incorporated them when I was first sarting out, but everybody does all sorts of things, initially, that they later disgard once they can begin to see their physique emmerge. I can move hella weight with declines but that means jack shit. Hella weight flat makes me big and thick, hella weight decline never earned its keep. This is just me, and this may not be the experience others have. I've personally never seen an accomplished flat bencher who did not have good pecs and tris. And "man-boobs"?? That's not age, bro.

dyskee
12-12-07, 10:03 am
don't know about u but weighed dips and inclines are 80% of my chest workout

gflash77
12-12-07, 10:08 am
Hopefully no one has repeated this already... (Hint: try the search function next time)

Chest fibers run horizontal. Most people say they like doing it because it "defines their lower chest", when in turn as long as you go hard on incline and flat, you're recruiting those same muscle fibers. i never saw the need for them personally.

Tiny
12-12-07, 11:58 am
im going to have to be the rebel here and disagree with you..i know this arguement has been brought up hundreds of times, but i truly feel that one can place more emphasis on a particular part of the chest..for example, i noticed that when i initially was doing bench press, my motion out of the bottom of the rep was not straight up and down, but rather up and away from my body..i soon learned that this was the improper way to bench and to not sacrifice form for the sake of quality..i ALSO noticed that my LOWER pecs blew up because of this, creating a noticable imbalance..

another point--lately, i have been doing all upper chest moves in my routine to really create a deep split between the upper and lower pecs, and to also stimulate different portions of my chest..i have noticed that i have had much more soreness in the upper and middle portions of the chest, and not as much as in the lower and outer chest..the reason being that i was not doing cable crossovers from the top of the column (good for outer pecs)..instead i was hitting cables from the bottom of the column..ALSO, instead of hitting a wide grip flat bench, i hit a more narrow incline bench, which i feel places MORE EMPHASIS (notice i say more emphasis and not total isolation) on the upper chest..idk just some observations

I too gotta say, ya gots major and minor there, and mines is split nicely AND all that muscle up around my collarbones is much more prevalant when I do really steep inclines - it works for me and that is a fact, too. Whatever works, kids, if it ain't broke, don't break it.

McFly
12-12-07, 12:02 pm
I agree...i think too many times "we" try to get too "scientific" or don't stick to a plan long enough b/c we "heard or read" something. Keep it simple and like tiny said
Whatever works, kids, if it ain't broke, don't break it.

Riesjs
12-12-07, 4:59 pm
declines are ok i guess. yes you can do more weight due to the shorter range of motion. I havent done declines in over 5 months, and my chest hasnt been stronger than it is today. basics baby

js71474
12-12-07, 5:20 pm
I replaced declines long ago with weighted dips. Right now inclines, flat, flyes, and dips are working like a champ for me.

big H
12-12-07, 6:43 pm
i just have never really worried about lower chest that much, i do declines once in a while but i only do them with dumbbells and i get a crazy pump from them. i however dont feel that there needed for a full chest

king1
12-12-07, 9:46 pm
THere is a limited range of motion, and i feel dips are superior in the same movement plane. Also i dont believe that declines work your lower or inner chest better than flat bench. They are a variation of flat bench, so they have their place, but theres so many variations i feel are more useful i never use them.

msktyshha
12-20-09, 12:26 pm
Read an article by dorian in which he mentions that flat bench doesn't do much for your chest in terms of bodybuilding as much as a decline bench press does. How many of you actually have the decline as your major chest exercise? and what are your thoughts on decline being more effective for chest growth than flat.

heres the article http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dorian_yates_training_insight.htm

BionicMasterPiece
12-20-09, 12:47 pm
Read an article by dorian in which he mentions that flat bench doesn't do much for your chest in terms of bodybuilding as much as a decline bench press does. How many of you actually have the decline as your major chest exercise? and what are your thoughts on decline being more effective for chest growth than flat.

heres the article http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dorian_yates_training_insight.htm

nothing will ever beat the flat bench press, if you notice all these modern bodybuilders have crappy looking chest, compare that to the bodybuilding gods, like levrone,arnold,lou and so on they have some of the best chest and they all focus on the flat bench, most (if not all) modern bodybuilders dont even do flat barbell bench presses anymore....figures huh? haha

but to answer your question, ive used decline for awhile before, i didnt notice anything different, i think if you really want to, just alternate both of them, or instead of decline bench and putting your shoulders and dropping the bar on your neck...just do weighted dips...

J Wong
12-20-09, 5:36 pm
I have never felt my chest work in the decline bench press.

Littlefry
12-20-09, 6:29 pm
Interesting, that dorian would recommend decline over flat. Flat will always be a staple for me however I do like to throw decline in there once in awhile for a change of pace. Your body will adapt, so throwing in decline every once and a while will be benifical. I do feel the pump in my chest when I do decline however I know people that say they dont feel a thing with decline, just depends on the indvidaul I guess.

BryanSmash!
12-20-09, 10:29 pm
depends on the indvidaul

^ This.

Try it out for yourself and see if it works. I rotated declines into my routine for about two months and experienced new strength and chest growth, but that's just me.

Birdman
12-20-09, 11:21 pm
I use to do 3 sets of 10 with a moderate weight just to finish off my chest at the end of my chest day. I noticed a lot more fullness and a noticeable underline of the peck. but about a month ago i was decline pressing 250 for sets of 10 which was feeling fairly light that day. on about the 6th rep of the 2nd set i felt a great deal of tension in the middle of my chest. halfway down my sternum popped and and my chest quickly gave out. ever since then i havent been able to do anything over 225 without feeling that same tension. resorted to dumbbell decline flies. has this ever happened to any of you guys?

Goliathus
12-21-09, 12:32 am
Youll have to go heavy when you do decline because of all of the other areas you use when you decline, you have to think, youre using more than your chest and tris at that angle, you also have support from your lats.

That being said, once you find the right angle and weight, you can get a decent contraction out of it, every now and then it probably isnt an awful excercise.

But you may have better luck with hanging chain dips

TigerAce01
12-21-09, 12:39 am
It worked for Dorian Yates...doesn't mean it will do shit for you.

-Ace

nateisw
12-21-09, 12:52 am
My partners and I don't do any decline at all. The three of us all consider it a waste of time. I'm not saying it won't work for anyone else, but it's no good for me. My main chest excersize is the incline bench press, but both of my lifting partners consider the flat bench press their main movement. When I lift with my partners, I do a lot flat bench, but try to do mostly inclines when I work chest alone.

BSill
12-21-09, 1:36 am
I don't incorporate too much decline into my routine. Usually twice a month. I tend to stick with incline and flat for chest mass development. When I decline press it feels like more lat is involved in comparison. So I stick with incline press, flat press, db flies, cable flies, dips, pd...

theharjmann
12-21-09, 4:01 am

you said it wrong bro for everyone to understand.

Dorian said "SHALLOW" decline bench, not a proper decline.

That means very slightly declined, NOT a decline.

And when it comes to a shallow decline, i would DEFINITELY say it is better than flat.

nothing will ever beat the flat bench press, if you notice all these modern bodybuilders have crappy looking chest, compare that to the bodybuilding gods, like levrone,arnold,lou and so on they have some of the best chest and they all focus on the flat bench, most (if not all) modern bodybuilders dont even do flat barbell bench presses anymore....figures huh? haha

but to answer your question, ive used decline for awhile before, i didnt notice anything different, i think if you really want to, just alternate both of them, or instead of decline bench and putting your shoulders and dropping the bar on your neck...just do weighted dips...

"all these modern bodybuilders have crappy looking chest"?????????????????

not to disrespect, but thats bullshit man.

if anythign modern bodybuilders have better chests...coleman, cutler, dorian, dexter jackson, phil heath...the list is endless

yeh they do do flat bench press but they wouldnt say the majority of their mass has come from flat barbell bench. i mean yeah it is a compound movement, but not any more compound than incline barbell bench, flat dumbell bench or incline dumbell bench.

and to be honest, in my opinion, the guys who flat bench more than anything else on chest day have shitter lookking chests than the ones who incorporate incline pressing, flat dumbell pressing and all sorts of flye movements....because thats what gives you a fuller, rounder, thicker chest.

Peace

theharjmann
12-21-09, 4:48 am
P.S. that is one of the best training articles i have ever read.

Gio71
12-21-09, 5:37 am
Ronnie Do Decline Presse Inlcine and Flat in one workout, and he has one of the best chests in bodybuilding, bigger than levrone, bigger than, arnold, bigger than lou

BionicMasterPiece
12-21-09, 4:39 pm
you said it wrong bro for everyone to understand.

Dorian said "SHALLOW" decline bench, not a proper decline.

That means very slightly declined, NOT a decline.

And when it comes to a shallow decline, i would DEFINITELY say it is better than flat.

"all these modern bodybuilders have crappy looking chest"?????????????????

not to disrespect, but thats bullshit man.

if anythign modern bodybuilders have better chests...coleman, cutler, dorian, dexter jackson, phil heath...the list is endless

yeh they do do flat bench press but they wouldnt say the majority of their mass has come from flat barbell bench. i mean yeah it is a compound movement, but not any more compound than incline barbell bench, flat dumbell bench or incline dumbell bench.

and to be honest, in my opinion, the guys who flat bench more than anything else on chest day have shitter lookking chests than the ones who incorporate incline pressing, flat dumbell pressing and all sorts of flye movements....because thats what gives you a fuller, rounder, thicker chest.

Peace

by modern bodybuilders i didnt mean coleman,dorian.....rofl...what ya thinkin?!!? but yeah look at the guys who compete now...i mean they clearly lack in thickness and their shape is just off compared to "Greats", like dorian, coleman, arnold, lou and so on....yeah i mean theres some with great shape like dexter, phil...those guys focused on the flat bench to build their chest up...just like with any bodypart, they squat for legs do rows n deads for back...i mean just because their "routine" in these flex magazines says they do something without the basics doesnt mean shit....

BionicMasterPiece
12-21-09, 4:40 pm
Peace.

Goliathus
12-21-09, 4:49 pm
yeah but just because a chest routine should "focus" around Flat to give you a really thick, filled chest doesn't mean you shouldnt do a lower chest excercise as well, I mean the name of the game is development, is it not?

BionicMasterPiece
12-21-09, 4:56 pm
yeah but just because a chest routine should "focus" around Flat to give you a really thick, filled chest doesn't mean you shouldnt do a lower chest excercise as well, I mean the name of the game is development, is it not?

We all have our "Myths"? Right? Lets leave it at that.

Amen.

Goliathus
12-21-09, 5:09 pm
so give me an example of a chest routine

I know I don't use decline in mine, as ironic as it may seem.

But for now, mine is as follows:
flatbench 3x6-8
Incline - 4x10
Closegrip incline - 3-4x10-12
Reverse Grip - 3x10
Dumbell Pullovers superset with cable crossovers 3x15

So what would you do?

theharjmann
12-22-09, 3:34 am
so give me an example of a chest routine

I know I don't use decline in mine, as ironic as it may seem.

But for now, mine is as follows:
flatbench 3x6-8
Incline - 4x10
Closegrip incline - 3-4x10-12
Reverse Grip - 3x10
Dumbell Pullovers superset with cable crossovers 3x15

So what would you do?

Incline barbell bench press - 3-4 warm up sets, then one set to maximum failure incorporating a drop set

SHALLOW decline bench press on the smith maching - 1-2 warm up sets, then one set to maximum failure incorporating 1-2 forced reps then 3 negatives to finish with

Incline barbell flyes - 1 warm up set, then one set to maximum failure incorporating 2-3 forced reps

Standing cable crossovers, emphasising the most muscular pose at the bottom - 1 warm up set then one set to failure incorporating forced reps and then a drop set

No more for chest. thats it. should take no more than 25-30 minutes. also, it depends on the FORM of the reps.

also, when people say certain movements hit different parts of the pec, its all bullshit...the pec all originates from ONE tendon that is tucked into your armpit. sure, doing incline may emplasise the stress on teh upper fibres more, but it will hit the WHOLE pec, as will shallow decline.

Peace

BionicMasterPiece
12-22-09, 2:57 pm
Incline barbell bench press - 3-4 warm up sets, then one set to maximum failure incorporating a drop set

SHALLOW decline bench press on the smith maching - 1-2 warm up sets, then one set to maximum failure incorporating 1-2 forced reps then 3 negatives to finish with

Incline barbell flyes - 1 warm up set, then one set to maximum failure incorporating 2-3 forced reps

Standing cable crossovers, emphasising the most muscular pose at the bottom - 1 warm up set then one set to failure incorporating forced reps and then a drop set

No more for chest. thats it. should take no more than 25-30 minutes. also, it depends on the FORM of the reps.

also, when people say certain movements hit different parts of the pec, its all bullshit...the pec all originates from ONE tendon that is tucked into your armpit. sure, doing incline may emplasise the stress on teh upper fibres more, but it will hit the WHOLE pec, as will shallow decline.

Peace

Incline Barbell Flyes!?!? WTF!! rofl...im sure you mean dumbbell flyes....that routine looks pretty solid, hows it treatin ya?

theharjmann
12-23-09, 10:15 am
Incline Barbell Flyes!?!? WTF!! rofl...im sure you mean dumbbell flyes....that routine looks pretty solid, hows it treatin ya?

yes i meant dumbell flyes. sorry

its not a routine. those just happened to be the exercises and that particular order that i did the last time i trained chest.

every week the exercises and order changes. but i never really do more than 3-4 exercises for chest...i never have enough energy by the end of the 3rd exercise.

one thing i do do every week though is train with lots of techniques to absolutely destroy the muscle...drop sets, supersets, tri sets etc. but thats why i only do like 4 workign sets per workout...if i did any more i would be overtraining.

ghost
12-23-09, 10:18 am
yes i meant flyes. sorry.

you meant DB flyes....

smith06
12-23-09, 11:48 pm
I have been powerlifting as of late.. and I am forming a better chest than when i did decline... I hit incline occasionally or do some cable work to hit the upper portion.