PDA

View Full Version : Gain muscle and lose weight at the same time???

Joe D'Amato
05-14-07, 5:52 pm
From January till April i was bulking up trying to get as big as i can then i wanted to start loosing body fat for the summer and thats going good just im not at where i want to be with muscle size, so the question is, can i gain muscle and still lose weight (keep a good body, my 6 pack)?

Weight: 155
Currently playing soccer, practice 1 1/2 hour Monday and Wednesday
Workout: sun.-fri. except for wed.
School: 7:35-2:30

Maccabee
05-14-07, 5:54 pm
Why dont you just do a very clean bulk. You will gain fat no matter what you do, but do a clean bulk and see where it takes you.

train.eat.supp.sleep
05-14-07, 7:01 pm
just cleanin up ur diet and keeping cheating to a minimum will get you the clean calories so ur gettin ur protein but no BAD fat...and ur 6 pack should be just fine...also a little more cardio wouldnt hurt such as jogging

stumblin54
05-14-07, 8:38 pm
http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=3698&highlight=gain+muscle+losing+weight

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=3301&highlight=lose+fat+gain+muscle

Search bro.

Stumblin

Joe D'Amato
05-14-07, 11:27 pm
thanks guys that helps a lot but another question, can i eat carbs without gaining body fat? well as long as i burn it off. how would i calculate for burning carbs?

ct italian 1
05-15-07, 10:58 am
what worked for me to cut was high carb, high protein, low fat. I keep fats at a dire minimum (sub-10% of caloric intake). Did 20min of cardio 4x/week and watched the fat fly off.

DRIVEN
05-15-07, 10:15 pm
what are favorite types of cardio that u guys all do? i fucking cant stand running.....an u cant tell me that people like WRATH run 40 min a day.....or mabey he does??????

WillWest
06-28-07, 7:11 am
Alot of people ask if its possible to lose fat and burn muscle at the same time. Its simpler to stick to one or the other.

For the cardio question - skipping and punchbag/boxing is my favourite.

Young&Hungry
06-28-07, 11:34 pm
I went to a big soccer school last year and they did an extreme amount of endurance running on a daily basis between timed miles, sprint work, and the game itself. If your team is like this, you can't afford to focus on getting cut in season. You need to keep your calories and carbohydrates very high to be able to perform in practice and still go all out in the gym, and since it's soccer your calorie intake should be even higher to keep any hint of your strength and muscle on you. My advice would be to focus on a very high calorie bulk for the time being. Also, you're only at 155 and unless you are exceptionally short I would say you have plenty of room to slap some meat on. After the in season bulk, you would see better results from your cut in the off season.

Chin
06-29-07, 12:29 am
what are favorite types of cardio that u guys all do? i fucking cant stand running.....an u cant tell me that people like WRATH run 40 min a day.....or mabey he does??????

I run 40 minutes or more and do 30 minutes on a stationary bike/ellipitcal/stair climber afterwards.

Personally I think its extreme but... when I want results I dig deep and stick it out... Unless you have a pool accessible to you... Running or Cycling is the way to go in my books...

Chin

ralf_snake
09-19-07, 4:32 pm
Alright this is what ive been tought, and i still pretty much go by.

Things like potatoes and bread have allot of carbs. You need to avoid things that hold allot of it. Carbs holds fat. so if you eat fat it only matters when you eat allot of carbs to hold the fat.
Almost everything holds carbs so only avoid the things that holds allot of em.

And the fat that does stay into your body, is great as fuel for your muscles to grow on.

Eat allot of things that have the proteins like eggs (only the white part). Of course the shakes like Animal Max has an equal amount of protein just like eating allot of eggs, but eating that much is almost impossible (you can try,nobody will stop you).

And with that train like your trying to be a Super-Sayian.

Ive been doing great with help of the Animal pills and shakes. But help on getting even better with this is always appreciated.

whatnow5
09-19-07, 5:37 pm
Alright this is what ive been tought, and i still pretty much go by.

Things like potatoes and bread have allot of carbs. You need to avoid things that hold allot of it. Carbs holds fat. so if you eat fat it only matters when you eat allot of carbs to hold the fat.
Almost everything holds carbs so only avoid the things that holds allot of em.

And the fat that does stay into your body, is great as fuel for your muscles to grow on.

Eat allot of things that have the proteins like eggs (only the white part). Of course the shakes like Animal Max has an equal amount of protein just like eating allot of eggs, but eating that much is almost impossible (you can try,nobody will stop you).

Ive been doing great with help of the Animal pills and shakes. But help on getting even better with this is always appreciated.

I'm speechless, you really have some reading to do!
Carbs can be stored as fat without DIETARY fat. If you spike your blood sugar by eating to many carbs, or by eating the wrong types of carbs then your body will store the carbs as fat. Good dietary fat actually lowers the effect of carbs on blood sugar, only the bad fats (trans, saturated) will help to spike blood sugar. Body fat cannot help your muscles grow, only protein can repair muscle tissue. It is easy to get protein without the help of protein powder. 3 oz of chicken has more protein than a scoop of protein powder, depending on the powder.

Hoffdogg
09-19-07, 6:00 pm

What is that?

SpartanGlory96
09-19-07, 6:35 pm

Elliptical in the morning, and Stationary bike in the Afternoon. That works well for me, this is the typical way to get your cardio if you hate running, just as I do and prlly alot of other Bodybuilders. Training 2 cardio sessions really ramp up the fat loss. 20 Min of Elliptical in the morning with a higher intensity for higher heart rate. 30 Min of Stationary bike at medium/low intensity and heart rate.

NickSP
09-19-07, 6:47 pm
My guess would be, like a lot of guys/pros at wrath's size, specifically doing what they do for bodybuilding and nothing else, that he does a lot of walking, probably on an incline, for most cardio....perhaps stationay bike as well

Pizzalamp
09-19-07, 7:08 pm
I usually like walking on a slight incline around 3.5 in the morning for 40 mins or so
I do love running-my knees hurt me for a while so i had to stop but i wanna start again
ive been getting good results with high protein modearte fat and carbs. im 206 and i find between 250-300 g of carbs is good for me

ralf_snake
09-20-07, 8:30 am
I'm speechless, you really have some reading to do!
Carbs can be stored as fat without DIETARY fat. If you spike your blood sugar by eating to many carbs, or by eating the wrong types of carbs then your body will store the carbs as fat. Good dietary fat actually lowers the effect of carbs on blood sugar, only the bad fats (trans, saturated) will help to spike blood sugar. Body fat cannot help your muscles grow, only protein can repair muscle tissue. It is easy to get protein without the help of protein powder. 3 oz of chicken has more protein than a scoop of protein powder, depending on the powder.

So it the past (almost) 3 years ive been doing it all for nothing, and could actually be bigger that i am now! Goddamn brother of mine, he tough me all i know now and its all wrong.

Maybe a topic that all has the basics so i can re learn it all? Thanks in advance.

09.20.07 12:00 am
Hoffdogg
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf_snake Check Out Post

What is that?

This is a Super Sayian, its form the cartoon Dragon Ball Z ist great! Try downloading them or something.

http://images.myfavoritegames.com/gallery-db-z-gt-x/Goku/Goku_SSJ1_and_2/gokussjfat.jpg

rmeguy
03-08-09, 10:21 am
Good afternoon brothers and sisters. Has anyone picked up the copy of the new M&F? There is an article in there about a doctor ( Izumi Tabata) creating a workout that will have you gain muscle/lose weight and make your cardio that much better. The workout is called the 20/10 workout. All of the exercises of this 5 day workout is 8 sets for 20 seconds straight lifting and 10 seconds resting. Now for me in the army and them NOT being in aggreance that i should be as BIG as i want to be this almost sounds to good to be true, because i will be getting the fat loss, thats obvious, and gaining muscle?? To good to be true? Just wanting to know if anyone else has tryed this. Thanks for all your help.

Ben

MrMonday
03-08-09, 11:41 am
Haven't tried it, but I can already promise you it is "too good to be true" unless he included extremely detailed diet information, as well as a physiological profile of your particular body.

Don't even bother trying it in my opinion, just continue training normally.

Giant Killer
03-08-09, 11:55 am
The Tabata method is a great plan for extended circuit training but as far as losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time, is debatable. Given a caloric deficit partnered with this type of circuit training can be great for losing fat.

Hammeredhead
03-08-09, 2:48 pm
Probably works fine for people who aren't experienced exercisers and have a lot of weight to lose. In those cases, it's not all that magical.

Giant Killer
03-08-09, 4:08 pm
Probably works fine for people who aren't experienced exercisers and have a lot of weight to lose. In those cases, it's not all that magical.

True, true. There's always accounting for "noob gains".

MonTanaMusCle
03-08-09, 4:58 pm
In the last episode of No bull radio Dave Palumbo mentions the ability to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time he called it the honeymoon period. He says by giving your body the macros needed to build muscle it is possible to gain muscle and lose fat. . .

SolidTongan
03-11-09, 9:46 pm
I love that shit as cardio! I haven't tried the workout prescribed in the magazine, but I've done the typical "one-compound-movement" for the cycle. Like powerclean and jerks, workouts with the kettlebell, squat and push press. It really is no fuccin' joke, and I get a much different pump. It's short yet intense. I feel it does work different fibers that I usually don't feel with conventional work, and I do cycle my training low vol sets to high vol, low reps (2-6) to mid reps (8-12) to high reps ranging from (15-100) as well as rest between sets. I am gonna give it a try as soon as my interval timer comes in. It's easy to do the clean and jerks and wutnot while lookin' at the clocc, but not so much while doin' pushups as the mag prescribes.

SolidTongan
03-11-09, 9:55 pm
Oh yeah, to further not, I've done the Caveman Training, and I don't even think it's as intense as Tabata. I like doin' all these other training shit because it adds "functionality" to my iron wrought physique and cuz it beats runnin' on a treadmill and peddlin' on a stationary bike. I have more of an endomorph type genetic make-up meanin' I gain (both fat and muscle) easily, but have a fuccin' hard time cuttin'. When I had to cut before, I had to do LONG cardio sessions, and when I found these other shits, it's helped alot.

pulkitdabral
11-12-09, 10:35 am
I am around 175 pounds and 5" 7' inch tall...I have recnetly started using Animal pak and zero carb protein and work out 4-5 times a week, here is my routine:
1. Mon - chest/triceps and 20 min cardio
2. Tues - back/biceps and 20 min cardio
3. Wed - shoulder/abs and 20 min cardio
4. Thrus - legs and 20 min cardio
5. Fri - 25 min cardio
I do end up sitting in the sauna almost all the 5 days for around 15-20 mins as well...My question can i loose fat/weight and gain lean muscle with this routine over time...I am goin to start using Animal Cuts starting next week as well...I eat low fat and high protein diet and have only recently started seeing some of my ribs(my abdomen area is only area i have significant fat)...Does anyone have any suggestion around my workout or diet or supplements for helping me achieve this properly..ny feedback is appreciated..cheers!!!!

belladiabla13
11-12-09, 10:51 am
Im no expert but I would say 30-45 mins of cardio if you want to cut!

ghost
11-12-09, 11:01 am
Im no expert but I would say 30-45 mins of cardio if you want to cut!

start out at 30-45 minutes, ideally you want 1hr every session.

Dr.Platypus
11-12-09, 11:48 am
You cannot gain significant muscle and loose fat at the same time, no. The biggest mistake everyone makes is worrying about their abs. Forget about your abs, get huge then cut. That's my advice.

C.Coronato
11-12-09, 12:01 pm
Whats your diet like now?

pulkitdabral
11-12-09, 12:42 pm
in morning after my coffee, i generally have some protein either directly via shake or eat tuna(ard 25gm)...have my lunch ard 500-600 cal with chicken, vegetable and some potato...tkae my animal pak right after...around 3pm have some fruit and 4pm have another glass of protein shake(25gm)...i workout from 5:30-7:30 and immediately have protien ( aroound 75 gms) and have my dinner with some chicken, vegetable and pulses( ard 500 cals)..

BlackCatz
11-12-09, 5:07 pm
You cannot gain significant muscle and loose fat at the same time, no. The biggest mistake everyone makes is worrying about their abs. Forget about your abs, get huge then cut. That's my advice.

I agree with you Platypus, i've heard it before, bulking and eating more will make you gain significant pounds of lean muscle but you'll gain body fat aswell, you won't be a fatass or get fat overnight but as time goes on you'll pack on alot of muscle and some fat and you could just cut the fat off with different training, more cardio and doing a clean diet. I'm not worried about being ripped and lean, i'm just concerned in getting lean muscle mass, if i gain fat i know i'll just cut it later on and lean out. Abs will always be there no matter what, just that the fat is covering them. My plain advice is, bulk up get big, look in the mirror be happy, then just lean it out and look perfect.

BlackCatz
11-12-09, 5:09 pm
in morning after my coffee, i generally have some protein either directly via shake or eat tuna(ard 25gm)...have my lunch ard 500-600 cal with chicken, vegetable and some potato...tkae my animal pak right after...around 3pm have some fruit and 4pm have another glass of protein shake(25gm)...i workout from 5:30-7:30 and immediately have protien ( aroound 75 gms) and have my dinner with some chicken, vegetable and pulses( ard 500 cals)..

Hey man, about your cardio, why don't you toss in some HIIT? Throw in some cardio sessions lasting 10-15 min. very intense, then the next day try the 25-30 min. normal intensity cardio, or try 45 min. big incline walking.

-RAGE
11-13-09, 11:31 am
I don't know how tall you are, but it sounds like you could be a hardgainer. I am a hardgainer and I have found that I can gain significant lean muscle and lose/keep off fat from my body but simply lifting very intensely and eating clean.

I am a fan of incorporating H.I.T. (High Intensity Training) into my workout. I was working out 5 or 6 days a week, but I found that often I was tired or didn't have enough energy to move the kind of weight I wanted because I wasn't giving my entire body enough time to recover from a grueling session in the gym from the day before. So my advice to you is to eat as clean as possible, keep up on your protein intake, and lift as heavy and intensely as possible. Try to beat your previous weight from the last time you did that workout by at least 5 pounds on your last set. There is a direct relation to the weight you can handle in a given exercise and your body weight. Every time you push yourself, your body adapts and develops.

Check out videos of Arnold training to give you an idea of the kind of intensity you will need in the gym (check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my6IroYcyEI). It doesn't matter what kind of weight you're pushing, or if people are giving you weird looks in the gym, as long as you are sweating and working as hard as you possibly can.

If you're looking for a great muscle builder/fat loss supplement I recommend gaspari superpump 250. This is seriously is an awesome muscle builder and fat burner. It helps to fuel super intense workouts and keep you focused, thus, you rest less, sweat more, and burn unwanted fat.

It sounds like through soccer practice you are getting in plenty of cardio as it is. Too much cardio will cause you to lose muscle mass, so just be careful and judge for yourself whether you are sweating enough as it is.

If you're just trying to bring out your abs, try doing less body weight abs exercises, and more weighted abs exercises. For example, less crunches and more weighted decline bench sit-ups or crunches. Your abs are just like any other muscle group and need to be built up before you can cut them down. Also, you will find that as you build up your abs, they will become more separated and defined, which will give you the blocked-out and defined look you're going for anyway.

Hope this Helps, PM me if you have any questions.

Be easy,