PDA

View Full Version : Your oatmeal of choice?

Universal Rep
05-18-07, 6:02 pm
So, what's your oatmeal of choice? Steel cut? Rolled oats? Oat groats? What? How do you prepare it and when do you eat it? Discuss.

widdlewade44
05-18-07, 6:05 pm
I always used rolled, boil it up in the pan for about 10 mins and go.

I had rolled oats this morning; they take longer to prep but I love them too.

Oatmeal stays with me longer, a slow burn energy source. Eat up!

Kevin
widdlewade44

COLE
05-18-07, 6:06 pm
Rolled Oats for me. Sometimes I throw them in the microwave in water for about 2-3 minutes, add a couple of packs of splenda and eat.

Other times I will just add it to my Chocolate Protein shake raw with some Natural Peanut Butter. Reminds me of some good Ol' No Back Cookies. Use water or milk. Yummy!!

I tend to eat my oats for my first meal. If I am still hungry between meals or at night for a sweet treat I will throw down one of the shakes I mentioned above.

karmazon
05-18-07, 6:08 pm
When I used to eat oatmeal I would eat the quaker one straight out of the tub.

brandonA
05-18-07, 6:12 pm
I get safeway store brand quick oat, rolled....cheap and very tasty...I eat them for breakfast every day....toss them in the micro with water for two mins...somtimes add cimimamon and rasins, been plain for a couple of tubs now.....like em in my shakes too, but now with Torrent, that's not nessiary unless i need a breakfast on the go.....

-B

Toni69
05-18-07, 6:27 pm
I love all my oats..even when dieting and its all bland..I look fowrds to my oats. My all-time favorite way to prepare them is like this:

Baked Oatmeal
2 cups uncooked quick-cooking oats (not the instant packets)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar or splenda's brown sugar (check package for measuring 'cause I think you use less splenda when substituting for sugar).
1/3 cup raisins
1 tbs chopped walnuts or almonds (unsalted)
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
1/2 cup applesauce (can use the cinnamon flavored stuff too)
2 tbs butter, melted (you can omit this)
1 large egg, beaten
Pam (butter flavor is nice)

Preheat oven to 375.
Combine the first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl. Combine the milk, applesauce, butter, and egg. Add milk mixture to oat mixture; stir well. Pour oat mixture into an 8-inch square baking dish coated with butter flavored pam. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Serve warm. Awesome with some low sugar jam or preserves, honey, or fresh berries.

5 servings (serving size: 2/3 cup)
CALORIES 281; FAT 8g (sat 3g); PROTEIN 7g; CARBOHYDRATE 48.8g

leafs43
05-18-07, 6:33 pm
Damn toni that sounds good.

Alas i am a microwave oatmeal junkie. When I need my breakfast I need it now.

Also I can tell I had oatmeal in the morning based on my workout. Have a bit more stamina when it comes to gym time (go to the gym in the morning) then i would eating something like dry toast and scrambled egg whites

Toni69
05-18-07, 6:35 pm
yea, me too..I microwave all my oats now too. But you can throw this in the oven while you get ready for work or school, then its done and you sit and it warm and save the rest for later!

Naturally Huge
05-18-07, 6:37 pm
Coach's Oats are the best tasting oats I've ever used. You have to order them online, but it's worth it. Definitely more nutritious than rolled oats. Check it out: http://www.coachsoats.com/index.html

stumblin54
05-18-07, 7:02 pm
Currently: 1 c oats, 2tbsp PB, 2c milk, and 2 scoops of whey two times a day in my mass shakes. They pack a lot of great carbs. When I'm not using RG in the morning my breakfast consists of 10 egg whites and two whole eggs, 2-3c oats, 2c milk, 2 scoops whey and 2tbsp PB.

Stumblin

SDR
05-18-07, 7:10 pm
today pre workout i just added some water and put it in the microwave for a minute, came out so thick it took forever to chew plus i had forgotten to add splenda....

i like added a tablespoon of honey in there too

Curos
05-18-07, 7:32 pm
Rolled, but only since I haven't tried steel cut. I hear they're good, though. Usually just 1.5 cups of oats with water and a bit of splenda, no microwaving or anything. Some days i'll have up to 4 or 5 servings of this, some days just one for breakfast.

Ratch
05-18-07, 9:44 pm
Ground up real fine, thrown in a ziploc bag, sittin in the mail for a couple weeks... That's about all the prep they get before they go into a RG shake with some PB...down the hatch! If I run out, then I grab some instant from the chow hall and throw a cup of yogurt in it...

The Epidemic
05-18-07, 9:53 pm
is cream of wheat or grits a good sub for oats?

Gainer65
05-18-07, 10:00 pm
Rolled oats mixed with two scoops of chocolate whey protein right before bed. Mmm Mmm good.

aeon
05-18-07, 10:01 pm
Ground oats in a shake , or rolled oats raw with protein powder and milk mixed in to eat.

vik
05-19-07, 12:25 am
Steel cut or quick oats there great... i eat them like three times a day and still diggin the taste i love oats so much.

Preston
05-19-07, 12:31 am
So, what's your oatmeal of choice? Steel cut? Rolled oats? Oat groats? What? How do you prepare it and when do you eat it? Discuss.

Fuck URep, the cheapest largest fucking container I can find of oats, and I scoup that shit out into a bowl, put some fat free skim milk in there, some splenda, heat it up, and go to town. I eat them right after my workout because they're fast digesting and my bodies craving the energy anyway.

And with breakfast...if I don't have toast, I love oats, they're really good with some sugar free jelly on them..mmmmmmmmmmm delicious!

-Preston[ANIMAL]

Roland
05-19-07, 12:40 am
I usually have this in the morning when i just cant get down any more eggs....

1 cup oats
then slice up a Large apple and banana over it

then mix and pour 1 scoop whey/chocolate +half cup milk/or u can use 2 scoops in 1 cup milk over it and throw it in the microwave and u get a huge ass bowl

loiacanoa
05-19-07, 1:05 am
Like my Quaker instant oats. Heat em in the microwave and add alittle honey.

JB69
05-19-07, 7:51 am
quaker rolled oats - 1 cup to 12oz of water or milk - 2 mins in the microwave - perfect with some splenda and strawberry whey.

Hercules
05-19-07, 7:56 am
I love steel cut oats. When you fix 'em, it looks like gruel from some medieval witch's kitchen. Once they're prepared, I pour in a bit of milk and top it off with some honey - just enough for flavor. Vanilla whey protein sprinkled on top is damn good, too.

Maximus
05-19-07, 1:48 pm
I just stick with good old wal-mart brand quick oats and just mix 'em in water, spin 'em around, and just drink 'em...

gsb239
05-19-07, 6:39 pm
Quaker quick oats (2-3 minutes) with splenda and berries. Or apple, cinnamon with splenda

Young&Hungry
05-19-07, 7:49 pm
Old Fashioned Quaker Oats, no sugar. Dump it in the bowl with some skim milk, a little whey and some cinnamon for flavor and eat it raw. Favorite part of my mornings.

SFriday425
05-20-07, 1:17 am
Quaker Old Fashioned Oats (from Costco). Boiled for 5 mins on medium heat and eaten daily.

billmd1334
05-20-07, 9:25 am
rolled oats... throw some splenda and cinnamon on there and you're golden... I'm actually enjoying a bowl right now

Narcissist
05-20-07, 10:28 am
Steel Cut- takes time to make 'em. but is high quality, and all you hardcore guys, whats another 30 min. to your already scheduled meal prep days. Tastes great too. my 2 cents.

Malloy1344
05-20-07, 2:50 pm
i normally hate oats, but I mix them with my protein shakes and it keeps me happy...

Toni69
05-20-07, 7:26 pm
Steel Cut- takes time to make 'em. but is high quality, and all you hardcore guys, whats another 30 min. to your already scheduled meal prep days. Tastes great too. my 2 cents.

I didnt even realize I was making these wrong! Me of all people..I didnt read the instructions, so I figured it was like preparing regular rolled oats. When I made them, they were still kinda hard..I had to chew it! Haha! I was like, WTF is this stuff? Just today, after 3 days of chewing my oats..LOL..I read the dam can and was like crap!

So, I made them the right way today ad they were delicious but dam..it took freaking forever! When I am on a high carb day, I dont want to wait for my oats..I want them asap. I bought another tub of rolled today. The steel cuts will be put aside for special occasions! ;)

Giant Killer
05-22-07, 10:33 am
Old Fashioned Oats with water. Some brown sugar if I'm feeling sassy.

krazyassmexican
05-22-07, 10:35 am
Rolled oats i just throw them in the microwave with water and have them for breakfast with a protein shake on the side

"6"
05-22-07, 11:11 am
Instant oats, supermarket brand. I toss them in water and pop them in the mircowave. Then put some honey on top.

I also like eating them dry right out of the pack.

mattf
05-22-07, 12:21 pm
When dieting a i throw 1 cup of cooked quick oats and mix it wiht my 10 scrambled egg whites in one big bowl.....gotta love it. Diet Hard. Peace
matt

FistofSteel
05-22-07, 5:32 pm
1 cup quaker oats, w/ two scoops protein powder, grapes, or someother fruit source, and some mixed nuts or peanut butter...

really gets me going in the morning...my favorite meal..sometimes eat it before I go to bed.

mjsef88
05-22-07, 5:37 pm
Quaker Oats, usuially with just water in the microwave plane jane style, but since i've been at work i just scoop them into 1/2 cup baggies, eat those bitches straight from the can, raw and uncooked. Chewy, kind of like a gummy candy, fuck i've been dieting too long, raw oats = juju bees ?!

IRBS
05-22-07, 5:37 pm
Dump it in a protien shake and your good to go...

Beowulf
05-22-07, 5:45 pm
Oatmeal is available in many different forms--some far more beneficial than others. It's easy to get on the "oatmeal bandwagon", but make sure you know what you're getting.

G Diesel
05-22-07, 5:48 pm
Oatmeal in my shakes, in my pancakes... Just nuked a bowl of oatmeal mixed w/ chocolate Ultra Iso Whey. I eat my oats daily... Just like a thoroughbred. Peace, G

Beowulf
05-22-07, 5:51 pm
Oatmeal in my shakes, in my pancakes... Just nuked a bowl of oatmeal mixed w/ chocolate Ultra Iso Whey. I eat my oats daily... Just like a thoroughbred. Peace, G

What kind of oatmeal? Not instant, I hope.

brandonA
05-22-07, 5:52 pm

I dumped my protien in my oats this morning...fucking awsome....nice break for the norm with out resulting to sugar or somthing like that....

-B

G Diesel
05-22-07, 5:55 pm

Quaker instant quick oats in the big old jug... The old standby. Peace, G

madlib
05-22-07, 6:52 pm
Quaker instant quick oats in the big old jug... The old standby. Peace, G

that's the only kind there is

stumblin54
05-22-07, 11:23 pm

Instant as in the 1 minute oats? I see no problem with those.

Stumblin

The Epidemic
05-23-07, 8:55 am
whats a good sub for oatmeal? grits? cream of wheat?

05-23-07, 9:18 am
that's the only kind there is

There are other, more beneficial forms of oatmeal than quick, rolled oats. Having said that, rolled oats balance convenience with nutritional value.

Wasteland
05-23-07, 3:30 pm

A good substitute in terms of what? Other fiber or GLA rich foods? Other basic sources of carbs?

Testpolska
05-23-07, 7:39 pm
Oats, water, nuke it. Wash down with water as you see fit.

madlib
05-24-07, 12:04 am
There are other, more beneficial forms of oatmeal than quick, rolled oats. Having said that, rolled oats balance convenience with nutritional value.

sorry im kinda clueless on the oats, i don't even know what rolled oats are!

The Epidemic
05-24-07, 12:21 am
A good substitute in terms of what? Other fiber or GLA rich foods? Other basic sources of carbs?

I MEANT are a good sub for oatmeal in terms of complex carb

BigAnt
05-24-07, 1:06 am
I like the ShopRite brand, save my $ for supplements..

I love for a pre-workout or breeakfast meal...

1 cup of quick oats
3 scoops of Ultra Iso Whey protein (fruit punch)
1 tsp of cinnamon

Mix dry
Add 1 cup of boiling water
Stir and eat!

JMC
05-24-07, 9:38 am
Down here we have Sun Harvest...
68 cents a lb for those mugs.... I usually hit up a couple lbs a week at least. Into the magic bullet they go into most of my shakes with natty pb as well...yum!

G Diesel
05-24-07, 9:45 am
I like the ShopRite brand, save my $ for supplements..

I love for a pre-workout or breeakfast meal...

1 cup of quick oats
3 scoops of Ultra Iso Whey protein (fruit punch)
1 tsp of cinnamon

Mix dry
Add 1 cup of boiling water
Stir and eat!

Love my oats in chocolate Ultra Iso Whey... Great, clean meal.

I agree 100% on the store brand. I buy whatever is on sale that week, be it Quaker or the Giant, SuperFresh or whatever other generic brand--it is all the same shit. Between mixing it in my shakes, pancakes or making a bowl on its own, I go through the stuff too quickly to be a label snob. Peace, G

Wasteland
05-24-07, 9:46 am
I MEANT are a good sub for oatmeal in terms of complex carb

Potatoes, yams, rice. Basic stuff that's tried and true.

BigAnt
05-24-07, 11:20 pm
Potatoes, yams, rice. Basic stuff that's tried and true.

try barley...find it in the rice aisle....

Wasteland
05-25-07, 9:40 am
try barley...find it in the rice aisle....

Already use it BigAnt. Try to get a couple servings in every week. Good call.

The Epidemic
05-26-07, 12:00 am
grits?
cream of wheat?

Northman
05-27-07, 2:10 pm
I didnt even realize I was making these wrong! Me of all people..I didnt read the instructions, so I figured it was like preparing regular rolled oats. When I made them, they were still kinda hard..I had to chew it! Haha! I was like, WTF is this stuff? Just today, after 3 days of chewing my oats..LOL..I read the dam can and was like crap!

So, I made them the right way today ad they were delicious but dam..it took freaking forever! When I am on a high carb day, I dont want to wait for my oats..I want them asap. I bought another tub of rolled today. The steel cuts will be put aside for special occasions! ;)

I love steel-cut. Try cooking them in a crock-pot (also known as a slow cooker. It takes a few hours, but saves time in the long run as you don't have to watch them. Add fruit or maybe a different kind of grain, like wheat berries for different textures.

Northman
05-27-07, 2:12 pm

Like in my previous post, try wheat berries (either hard or soft). You can usually get them at a bulk store and they're cheap! Also try whole grain quinoa if you can find it, that's good stuff and it has a nutty taste to it.

Space Cowboy
05-27-07, 2:56 pm
45 mins after my TORRENT pwo, i mix half cup quaker oats with my protein shake, there is a technique to swirlin the shaker bottle whilst drinkin to keep the oats from accumulating at the bottom (gonna get a Magic Bullett to grind those fuckrs to dust).

My question is for brekkie i have 8-12 egg whites, and also a seperate bowl of quaker rolled oats, mixed with milk and shoved in the microwave for 2 mins. I was wondering if its cool to mix a whey protein shake with oats, then microwave or cook on the hob. Would this denature the Whey? Anyone else do this? Or should i jus stick to cold Whey and oats???

EASI
COWBOY

ct italian 1
05-30-07, 9:37 am
Get mine in bulk (.69cents/lb I believe) at a local healthfood store. 1/2 cup dry in 1 cup water microwaved w/ breakfast, then another 1/2cup dry thrown right into the blender with a small-medium orange and 1 scoop ON 100% whey gold standard 30min pre-workout.

rippedquest
06-14-07, 11:28 pm
1 cup quick oats, 1 scoop choc whey, spoonful natty pb, top off with some splenda. Microwave for 2 1/2 min and eat...delicious. Goes perfectly with scrambled egg whites on the side

Aengus
06-14-07, 11:50 pm
QUAKER OATS!!!!!!!!!

I use the blender, grind 'em into a powder, throw some protien powder in, drop 'em in used water bottles, and GROW!!!

I can get in 5 cups a day, easy.

Monk
06-18-07, 11:37 pm
Quaker steel cut oats. a squirt of honey and a lil more honey.. sea salt, apple slices. for variety bananas after they are cooked and walnut slices. mix it anyway you want to.

Maharg
06-19-07, 12:32 am
Make mine into the Animal cookie and down it with my shake after i work out. Taste great soaked in a shake with honey spread on it. And i dont mean store bought honey my family buys 25lbs of honey from a bee keeper with the bee parts still floating around. More protien that way.

Wire Nail
06-19-07, 6:36 am
I personally prefer Bobs Red Mill Steel Cut Oats. Let me ask you guys a question, how many of you soak your oats overnight before cooking? I have read that its best to soak them over night in warm water and salt as this will remove some harmful acids, I think phytic acid or something like that. Seems I read that it does something bad like cause you not to be able to absorb certain minerals or it depletes them, I'll do some looking around.

Grond Al-Ghoul
06-19-07, 1:36 pm
QUAKER OATS!!!!!!!!!

I use the blender, grind 'em into a powder, throw some protien powder in, drop 'em in used water bottles, and GROW!!!

I can get in 5 cups a day, easy.

slam dunk.

Toni69
06-20-07, 4:02 pm
What's the deal with steel cut oats? I read someplace someone added them to their shake, so I thought I would give them another try. They take too darn long to cook..so I added them raw to my shake. It sat for a while to absorb the liquid..at least I hoped it would have...it really didnt. I dont like these steel cut oats! LOL..I had to keep adding more water to get the oats just close to my mouth and they still sat at the dam bottom! I finally said screw it and scooped them out with my hands like some cavewoman with that crazed look on her face...as if I was starving...for oats..for carbs! LOL

I will stick with my usual trusty brands of oats...quaker, rolled, quick cooking or the stuff in the health food stores....LOL

adidas
07-01-07, 6:30 am
I Dont Eat Oat Meal.

ct italian 1
07-01-07, 7:12 am
I Dont Eat Oat Meal.

Do you not grow then either? haha

adidas
07-01-07, 7:14 am
Do you not grow then either? haha

i tend to eat high fat low carb...
pasta every once in a while and maybe a pizza slice or 2 here and there as well. other wise carb intake is kept at or below 40g ED.

Jrise125
07-03-07, 12:07 am
1 cup oats
2 scoops whey (chocolate flavor)
1 Tb natty pb
1/2 cup skim milk

stir and eat cold or hot if you choose. great pre workout meal or in the morning when i want to change it up

jonsbsn
07-04-07, 1:06 pm
I eat them right after my workout because they're fast digesting and my bodies craving the energy anyway.

-Preston[ANIMAL]

I'm pretty sure oats are SLOW digesting... that's the reason people eat them in the morning is cuz they give you a constant supply of energy throughout the day. Anything that's low on the glycemic index is slower digesting and thus better for you.

Anyway... I like a litte flavor in my oats and I would be adding some sort of sweetener, but those packets are so damn sweet. So what I do is take one packet of apple-cinnimon and put it in a 1 cup measuring cup. It fills it up about 1/4 of the way and I put regular rolled oats in the rest. I toss is 1 1/2 cups of boiling water and let it sit for about a minute and its good to go after cooling it with some milk. Works for me...

DoOzA
07-04-07, 4:41 pm
well i come from england... so im hopein when u say "oats".. you meen "porrige" in which case i just mix it raw in a blenda with to scoops of protien .. use to nuke in microwave.. but when i comes out to damn hot to eat and and usauly leave most of it still stuck to the bowl.. damn stuff is like supa glue ..!! and what the hell is this splenda u guys keep talking about ? some kinda suger substute?

adidas
07-04-07, 4:48 pm
and what the hell is this splenda u guys keep talking about ? some kinda suger substute?

yes, in America we use this instead of real sugar, honey or molasses as we are afraid we'll get fat.

rockhaxor
07-04-07, 4:58 pm
Yes Porridge is boiled oats (yum), my family is from Scotland and we had porridge for breakfast most days. I still refer to oatmeal as porridge and my kids look at me as if I’m from another world.

Splenda is the trade name for sucralose and is an artificial sweetener I believe.

Oatmeal, porridge, oatmeal cookies, and protein shakes, no matter how you consume it oats is good eats.

intoodeep25
07-08-07, 8:18 pm
i just pour 1% milk in a cup of oats and eat..no heating nothing..gets the job done and tastes like a treat

simpleguy
07-09-07, 1:32 pm
oats and protein shake for me... tastes good..

Mento
07-09-07, 10:03 pm
Has anyone tried Bill Pearl's High Protein Oatmeal? Looks a bit pricey and comes in a 7 pound tub. Here is the url to the site.
http://www.billpearl.com/product.asp?i=2

crypto
07-17-07, 4:05 am
i tried searching but could not find my answer, but is instant oats 'bad' for you? im not talkin about the flavored instant oats, just the plain ones.

jonsbsn
07-17-07, 7:18 am
I hope not, because that's what I use... input anyone?

All I know is I've made some sweet gains since pounding down the oats. Instant or not, they seem to be working for me. I've put on 5lb in the last month just with increasing my food intake with clean carbs and proteins.

crypto
07-17-07, 7:33 am
ive heard to avoid instant cuz its processed, but in the ingredients its just 100%
oats and thats it.

Syringemouth
07-17-07, 9:35 am
Steel cut oats for me. Lots of splenda, cinnamon and peanut butter.

krazyassmexican
07-17-07, 9:50 am
i dont think so i always see the same ingredients hahaha (yeah but the natural ones not the suggared ones not the flavored ones
i tried searching but could not find my answer, but is instant oats 'bad' for you? im not talkin about the flavored instant oats, just the plain ones.

crypto
07-17-07, 10:18 am
i dont think so i always see the same ingredients hahaha (yeah but the natural ones not the suggared ones not the flavored ones

what?????

krazyassmexican
07-17-07, 11:12 am
never mind i am full of shit

what?????

Flash419
07-17-07, 12:06 pm
Never been a breakfast guy, or a morning person.

But usually make my breakfast as follows..

Protein Shake (about 50 grams of protein)
1 bananna
2 or 3 Quaker Low Fat Oatmeal Bars (19 grams of carbs each)

I know its not the best, but far better then many options out there. And it gets something in my stomach to start the day.

Toni69
07-17-07, 12:09 pm
yes..its not the plain instant that is an issue for those dieting..its the ones that are flavored...like blueberries and cream, maple and brown sugar...those are around 33g carbs per packet with 13g sugar. Still, not so bad but its also grounded to a finer grain which makes it faster digesting..so best pre or post wo.

If your dieting for a show let's say..you would most likely stay away from the instant stuff and rely more on real oats...otherwise, not really an issue when your on bulk..even a clean bulk.

hope this helps.

crypto
07-17-07, 3:08 pm
yes..its not the plain instant that is an issue for those dieting..its the ones that are flavored...like blueberries and cream, maple and brown sugar...those are around 33g carbs per packet with 13g sugar. Still, not so bad but its also grounded to a finer grain which makes it faster digesting..so best pre or post wo.

If your dieting for a show let's say..you would most likely stay away from the instant stuff and rely more on real oats...otherwise, not really an issue when your on bulk..even a clean bulk.

hope this helps.

so on a cut, PLAIN INSTANT oats are fine?

Toni69
07-17-07, 3:21 pm
so on a cut, PLAIN INSTANT oats are fine?

ABSOLUTELY! I used regular rolled oats for my breakfast and on high days with other meals throughout the day and I also ate alot of sweet potatoes too. The quick cooking stuff in my post wo shakes. if I was on a low day, I would just use 1/4 cup raw as opposed to a 1/2 raw in my pow shake. My low days were pretty low though when it came closer to showtime.

crypto
07-17-07, 3:37 pm
ABSOLUTELY! I used regular rolled oats for my breakfast and on high days with other meals throughout the day and I also ate alot of sweet potatoes too. The quick cooking stuff in my post wo shakes. if I was on a low day, I would just use 1/4 cup raw as opposed to a 1/2 raw in my pow shake. My low days were pretty low though when it came closer to showtime.

thanks hun

Mento
07-30-07, 6:40 pm
So no one's ever heard of Bill Pearl's High Protein Oatmeal? I'm kind of curious about this stuff and would like to know if anyone's tried them.

lil ox
07-30-07, 6:49 pm
I do the quaker instant paks, apples and cinnamin my fav. every morning with my protein shake recently went to the 50% less sugar type. It's just too damn easy and quick to mess with anything else.

stumblin54
07-30-07, 7:23 pm
I do the quaker instant paks, apples and cinnamin my fav. every morning with my protein shake recently went to the 50% less sugar type. It's just too damn easy and quick to mess with anything else.

Too much sugar bro. Stick with the plain rolled oats, and down them with your protein or PB in a blender if you want flavor with them.

Stumblin

wolfsburg2
10-11-07, 4:47 pm
i use quaker quick oats microwaved with water then i add in some splenda and raisins.

Iron4Life
10-11-07, 5:27 pm
im currently chowing down a cup of oats and water heated with 2 scoops of whey mixed in...you talk about nasty....hey i guess we dont do it for the taste now do we... i needed a little pre-workout meal and this is what i conjured up... im out time to toss some steel. Later bros

I4L

snakecorda
10-11-07, 5:51 pm
I use the Quaker rolled oates with water, a scoop of whey and some almonds...hits the spot.

Lethal_Banana
10-16-07, 12:22 am
I always buy the EuroShopper el cheapo brand. It's so cheap that it's like getting your oats for free :P Oh, and I just boil 1 cup of 'em and then add milk. I never add salt or sugar to it. Mmmmm!

twisted_steel
10-21-07, 12:02 pm
here is my recipe for one of the tastiest meals i dream about in my sleep.

2 cups natural rolled oatmeal
2 tbsp natural peanut butter
2 cups of 1% milk
2 tbsp ground flax
1 tsp of finely ground coffee
1 scoop any chocolate/coffee flavoured whey protein

that is one big ass bowl of sex haha

enjoy gents

Northman
10-21-07, 1:30 pm

2 cups of 1% milk
2 tbsp ground flax

enjoy gents

I am liking the ground coffee.

twisted_steel
10-21-07, 1:33 pm
oh yeah stiff, the ground coffee gives that nice taste to it and also gives you the calorie free boost of caffeine. its a calssic move haha.

Northman
10-22-07, 12:37 am
oh yeah stiff, the ground coffee gives that nice taste to it and also gives you the calorie free boost of caffeine. its a calssic move haha.

I used instant hazelnut, a great addition to the pb. Thanks for the idea. I will be using it for a long time to come, especially since I work 16 hour days.

Vinny G
11-06-07, 7:14 am

over the winter...offseason, i like to make meatloaf oatmeal

1lb lean ground beef
1lb ground pork
3 cups of oatmeal
1 jar salsa
1 diced celery stick

mix all together and cook in the over for 45 min.

makes a few serving....

invictus1
11-06-07, 10:37 am
in the morning on training days, i mix half a cup of oats with a bit of real gains and some pineapple for flavor. on non-training days i mix them with some eggs.
i have to have my instant oats in my post workout shake, 60 grams oats, 40 grams whey.

Wolf678
11-15-07, 8:41 pm
I am from the south so grits are king here and I do not like gruel. So I had to come up with a way to eat oatmeal and now I crave it after every workout. I eat rolled oats.
Pop five whole eggs in a skillet. Let them turn white a little. Then dump a cup of oats in with the eggs and bust the yolks and mix all of that together. Let it cook until it is done enough for you. Now thats how to eat oatmeal. Throw in some ketchup and scarf'em down.

657 calories
41 g protein
61 g carbs

Try it you will not be disappointed.

Wolf678.

Giant Killer
11-15-07, 8:50 pm
I am liking the ground coffee.

What a great idea...

twisted_steel
11-23-07, 5:54 am
yeah the ground coffee really does give it a great taste if ur a coffee lover and if not well you get that caffeine boost with it! Definitely a money move in the am when i wake up for work at 4 30am and got 12 hours ahead of me.

I also wanna try the oatmeal with eggs in the skillet...that sounds awfully good...tommorrow am project:)

Feel The Power
11-23-07, 1:15 pm
oatmeal meatloaf?? i love meatloaf. sounds genious!!

mr muscle
11-23-07, 4:48 pm
toni69 ur the man u jus gave me an insight on to cook that up thanks heaps.

TheBassGuy
11-28-07, 11:01 pm
Gotta love the super quick oats. They cook on the stovetop in about two minutes.

twisted_steel
12-16-07, 12:13 pm
anyone else here said screw cooking the oats and just eats them in the raw with milk and protein powder and i like to use allbran buds in there as well.

They are quick oats, but still....i prefer them in the raw now.

bigffmike
12-16-07, 7:59 pm
anyone else here said screw cooking the oats and just eats them in the raw with milk and protein powder and i like to use allbran buds in there as well.

They are quick oats, but still....i prefer them in the raw now.

LOL,
Just steel Cut for me

twisted_steel
12-17-07, 11:35 am
once i run out of my quick oats, im gonna purchase some slow oats and then eventually move into steel cut. gonna take it slow for now. dont wanna jump from being used to using quick and then jump to slow right off the bat.

are steel cut that much better?

gripperm
12-22-07, 9:40 pm
McCann's Irish Oatmeal (Steel Cut Oats)

Brick By Brick
12-22-07, 9:43 pm
Wal-Mart Instant Regular Oatmeal. Sometimes with a dab of brown sugar, sometimes with vanilla whey protein. The latter is sort of nasty, but a very healthy snack. I mix both with hot water.

Northman
12-22-07, 9:47 pm
I've been mixing it with cottage cheese recently (still with the hazelnut coffee). I also use it to coat my liver before I pan fry it (non-stick/no oil).

Hendo
12-26-07, 11:16 pm
well I just got a magic bullet for christmas(I already love it) and I'm quite sure that I'm now going to be just dumping my oats into it as part of a breakfast shake at least 75% of the time that I eat them now. This morning I threw in some oats, skim milk, natty PB, scoop of chocolate casein, scoop of vanilla whey and it was great.

Something I noticed tho is that since they were uncooked, the same amount of oats that I normally eat didn't feel nearly as filling so I just drank some extra milk and water.

vgiordano
12-29-07, 4:57 pm
I always eat the standard Quaker oatmeal. It is rare that I eat the instant oatmeal, only because the instant oatmeal has alot more sodium.

I eat my oatmeal every morning. I make it in the microwave. I do 9-10 large spoons of oats and mix that with skim milk. Pop it in for 3:30 and then add grained almonds and walnuts and a fruit of choice, usually sliced strawberries or grapes.

This is a staple for my diet, great to have after I workout too! I usually have this with about 6 or so egg whites with slender american cheese.

MikeyFitness
12-30-07, 10:30 pm
Every morning during the winter, I start the day off with a nice little mix in the blender. I take 1 cup of dry oatmeal, 2 bannanas, couple scoops of peanut butter, 2 cups of low fat milk, and a scoop of protein powder. Blend it all together and throw it down. Loaded with clean carbs. Enjoy.

H Bomb
01-08-08, 4:26 pm
2 scoops of Real Gains stir with a little water

2 tablespoons of JIF ( My favorite) melt in microwave for 1 minute until liquid and mix with the RG

Stir in 2 cups of whole grain oats and 1 tablespoon of honey or maple syrup

Stir well and place in mircowave for about 2-3 minutes until all water disolves.

Stir well again and let stand for a couple minutes. This is a meal that will hold you when on the go and have to go a long period before eating. Plus it tastes like dessert.

theharjmann
01-09-08, 11:31 am
is there any difference in nutritional value between raw oats and cooked/baked oats?

waugie14
01-12-08, 9:31 pm

2 cups of 1% milk
2 tbsp ground flax

enjoy gents

how/when do you put in the coffee?

Macrobolic
01-15-08, 2:06 pm
My oatmeal of choice is Quakers Weight Control Oatmeal. Great taste, a few grams of protein (albeit from soy) and not a whole lot of sugar. Plus, they are in the packets, so no measuring for me.

Genetic Freak
01-17-08, 10:58 pm
this may sound stupid...but how good is the store bought oatmeal stuff..like the apple and cinnamon shit..wher eu take them out of the packets and put in water into the microwave...

Northman
01-17-08, 11:00 pm
this may sound stupid...but how good is the store bought oatmeal stuff..like the apple and cinnamon shit..wher eu take them out of the packets and put in water into the microwave...

Most of them tend to be very high in sugar.

pmug0000
01-17-08, 11:44 pm

Try Quaker Weight Control - I think all the flavors are good, and it is very low in sugar. I frequently add a couple scoops of protein and 2 tbs peanut-butter to 2 of these packets and it comes out pretty damn tasty. Good for you too.

GJN5002
01-17-08, 11:50 pm
most grocery stores have the packets in a no sugar added version. they taste a lil funky but its not too bad.

Genetic Freak
01-17-08, 11:50 pm
ok sounds good..thanks for the info

Northman
01-18-08, 12:16 am
Alternatively you could buy large flake rolled oats and put them in a Tupperware (or similar) container, pour boiling water over them, put the lid on, and in 5 min you have tasty oats: Flavor them as you want. As stated earlier in this thread I like mine with instant hazelnut coffee.

Bronzebird
01-24-08, 5:15 pm
Try Quaker Weight Control - I think all the flavors are good, and it is very low in sugar. I frequently add a couple scoops of protein and 2 tbs peanut-butter to 2 of these packets and it comes out pretty damn tasty. Good for you too.

I add a fist full of Oats to the Flavored Packet and 2 tablespoons of Peanut Butter. Micro for 3 minutes while I shower in the AM. Then I add more milk if need to Slurp the Big Bowl down in 30 seconds. Chugging Breakfast is OK for me. Meal last for 1.5-2hrs. Then I'm scrap'n through my Packet Meats of Tuna Steaks or Salmon. I love fish!!

Soldier
01-26-08, 10:36 pm
just the old school quaker oats. heat em up in hot water or skim milk and sprinkle some splenda on top.

h 3 L L b 0 y
02-04-08, 2:24 pm
Oatibix! Grab two pieces, put them in a blender along with two cups milk, tbsp peanut butter and a banana. Have two eggs to go along with it when i have more time in the mornings!

never_2_big
02-04-08, 4:16 pm
lately ive been eating oats through the day so i needed something to flavour it instead of splenda... ive poured in some chicken stock and a sachet of chicken noodle soup... the best thing ive eated in ages, so tasty.

Pizzalamp
02-04-08, 4:20 pm
lately ive been eating oats through the day so i needed something to flavour it instead of splenda... ive poured in some chicken stock and a sachet of chicken noodle soup... the best thing ive eated in ages, so tasty.

ewwwww

never_2_big
02-04-08, 5:04 pm
ewwwww

no way bro, it takes the whole breakfast feel out of them, great tasting gear right there

mombasa3
02-08-08, 3:30 pm
I tend to gt burned out easily, that's just me. I been using grits for a while and it seems to be ok. Matter of fact, gonna get some now! Keep eatin' boys.

freddiemunrow
02-08-08, 4:02 pm
i use quaker quick oats, boil water pour over oats let it sit while i scramble some eggs. dump the eggs on top and go to town.

ct italian 1
02-08-08, 6:47 pm
eat your oats guys...
haha after my contest diet I don't want to see them for a while.

It's my main carb source simply due to cost & ease of preparation while at school.
try eating 8 or so servings of plain raw oats/day...sucks haha.

Northman
02-08-08, 10:54 pm
eat your oats guys...
haha after my contest diet I don't want to see them for a while.

It's my main carb source simply due to cost & ease of preparation while at school.
try eating 8 or so servings of plain raw oats/day...sucks haha.

I've done it, when I was poor. 1/3 cup of raw oats takes a bit to chew.

Guinto101
02-09-08, 8:23 am
i eat the regular quaker oats.
i put a little bit of splenda and ground cinnamon in it, its pretty good.

FGCUCody
02-09-08, 5:56 pm
i mix some of the quaker oats with some milk. They taste fine with no sweeteners.

1skinnyassedrunt
02-10-08, 12:18 pm
Probably cus I am what you bros call a hard gainer I find it hard to stomach alot of cooked oats, so I usually put 1 cup to 1 cup and a half into a bowl, covered with milk and eat.

ksujosh6
02-17-08, 6:36 pm
im an oat fanatic....i usually eat the flavored oat pouches PostWO and have the regular oats throughout the day in shakes

N. Motta
02-18-08, 11:10 pm
question about if the nutrient intake is the same compared to cooked.

because i cant eat a cup and a half of cooked oats, i mix it with water in my shaker and pound it? i have always told myself im getting the same carb content and what not.

am i??

navyseal
02-19-08, 4:09 am
i eat quaker oats, the one in the red pack. its no cook so i just pour a cup of warm milk in a bowl of it. and done i have it ready to eat,

no hassles. plain and simple.

Enforcer
02-19-08, 9:17 am
I mix my eggs with my oats in a bowl just like Ronnie does it. Also from time to time if I want to eat the oats by themselves I have the oat cookie that the house made up. Throw some peanut buttter on top of those, shit is amazing

Myles
02-22-08, 7:20 am
grinded oats and protein shakes are best before workout.

LittleMan55
02-22-08, 1:18 pm
My Oats are the ones in the Quaker can(I have no clue if they are rolled or whatever). I just boil them and eat them plain. I feel like a horse every morning, but in a good way!

wodka
03-07-08, 11:17 am
I put oatmeal with milk 2eggs and a litlle bit of flower in a blender, blend, and then I bake them like pancakes, a litlle sirop mjam mjam

pain4life
03-08-08, 9:04 am
I love oatmeal because it's simple and easy to put together when I am still tired in the mornings. I do 1/2 cup Quaker Oatmeal, 1 Tbsp Brown Sugar, and 1 cup milk and then microwave it for 90 seconds. It's quick, it gives me energy, and it tastes great along with a protein shake. When I mix the two, I get 50 grams protein and a lot of energy for my workout!

OATMEAL ROCKS!

18plusarms
03-08-08, 9:17 am
I have 1/2 cup in water, 45 sec in the mic, 2 pack splenda and protein shake for breakfast everymorning just about for the last 8 years.

Ed_UK
03-09-08, 2:52 pm
oatmeal kicks ass!

I have 100grams (about 4 ounce I think) with milk and water mixed in 50/50, cook it on the hob and drizzle with plain honey or with a scattering of mollases (very dark brown suger) tomake the best breakfast

also great before a long run or gym :)

newbreed
03-18-08, 2:35 pm
Quaker oats cooked in a microwave with some water and peanut butter (natural) and when it's taken out, I add a scoop of vanilla whey to it and a little bit of milk, with a little hit of sugar free syrup. It's real good. To me anyway.

McFly
03-18-08, 2:38 pm
quaker oats, barely enough water to wet em....and warmed just enough to break room temp....and i honestly love em that way.

Barbenders Babe
03-18-08, 4:36 pm
love the new ideas for spicing up the oatmeal! love mine with fat free milk and a scoop of universal choc protein powder, mix, micro for 120 secs and eat while i watch gus get on the bus.

panzerwagen
03-18-08, 4:42 pm
I cook my oats on the stove.. I think it tastes better that way. The oats I eat have some extra fibre added to them - good with some more of that stuff!

My everyday oatmeal breakfast:

Big bowl of oatmeal
Rasins
Almonds (a handful of them (cashews when I want something extra))
Cinnamon
Apple sauce (no sugar added)

I take a big protein shake w/ milk (0,1 % fat) on the side.

/Panzer

Phenom
03-19-08, 7:47 pm
1 cup quaker oats in the morning. no additives. chugged down in 2 mins. YA, I'm good to go...

IronSport
03-20-08, 9:58 am
Most of use have seen the recipe for a protein pancake and said "f*ck that, I don't have the time or attention span." Gentleman, behold the 5 minute answer...

Eggs (currently 7 whites for me) + 3/4 cup Quick Oats + Water (for consistency) + Blender = Pancake Batter!!!

It's not Hungry Jack, but this makes 1 good sized pancake that does the job very well. Add some sugar free syrup and you're golden. I prepare at night, then add more water if necessary in the morning.

If you're not cutting, I'd suggest 4 whole eggs instead of 7 whites, and 1 full cup of oats, and a spoon of peanut butter. Maybe some cinnamon too. Glorious.

LegendKillerJosh
03-20-08, 10:12 am
Most of use have seen the recipe for a protein pancake and said "f*ck that, I don't have the time or attention span." Gentleman, behold the 5 minute answer...

Eggs (currently 7 whites for me) + 3/4 cup Quick Oats + Water (for consistency) + Blender = Pancake Batter!!!

It's not Hungry Jack, but this makes 1 good sized pancake that does the job very well. Add some sugar free syrup and you're golden. I prepare at night, then add more water if necessary in the morning.

If you're not cutting, I'd suggest 4 whole eggs instead of 7 whites, and 1 full cup of oats, and a spoon of peanut butter. Maybe some cinnamon too. Glorious.

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=6692
^^sorry, g-diesel already owns these pancakes, and they are very popular, popular enough to win the 2007 (unofficial) thread of the year.

sanga
03-20-08, 10:16 am
I microwave mine for 2 minutes mixed with water.

I have 2 servings in the morning, one at 7am with my eggs and fruit and again at 10am with a shake and fruit.

IronSport
03-21-08, 8:24 am
http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=6692
^^sorry, g-diesel already owns these pancakes, and they are very popular, popular enough to win the 2007 (unofficial) thread of the year.

Not surprised at the popularity. I'm guessing my "coach" got the recipe from that very post. That meal is the highlight of my day right now.

NurseWaller
04-16-08, 5:15 pm
all i see is "oats" this and "oats" that...sorry to sound like an idiot but what are they...i mean i eat oatmeal in the morn and they sell regular oat meal you cook but not sure if its all the same?? thanks...

NurseWaller
04-16-08, 5:55 pm
thanks for the direction man

Go Big Or Go Home
10-28-09, 6:42 pm
This may be a dumb question, actually let me re phrase this. This is a dumb question, how do you eat your oats??? I have never had them before, do you cook them or what? and in a shake do you just put them in a shake??

MR.TeachFreak
10-28-09, 6:50 pm
You can cook them or put them in a shake depending on your preference. Me personally I cook them in the microwave and eat them plain with breakfast. Most quick oats, 1-minute oats, etc. you usually just add water and nuke it for about 2 minutes or so depending on whether you want them a bit more soupy or thicker. You can also cook them stove top if you want. I know others on here put oats in their shakes so they can tell you better how to do that.

norrim1
10-28-09, 6:53 pm
This may be a dumb question, actually let me re phrase this. This is a dumb question, how do you eat your oats??? I have never had them before, do you cook them or what? and in a shake do you just put them in a shake??

Here's a thread that will give you a few ideas. Also, type in "Oats" in the search function. Click on the posts option too. That should give you sufficient reading material. Hope this helps.

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=27880&highlight=Oats

Go Big Or Go Home
10-28-09, 6:56 pm
thank you both for your help. I felt like a complete dumbbass asking this question

charlievanriper
10-28-09, 7:03 pm

I put 1 cup in my coffee grinder and powder it then add it to my shakes ( I do 3/4 cup a day, spread out over 4 shakes)

Firefist
10-28-09, 7:38 pm
not a dumbass question bro. alot of people have asked this.

btw....house cookies ftw!

LittleMan55
10-28-09, 8:40 pm

Agreed House cookies FTW!

Chase "BIG COUNTRY" Browning
10-28-09, 9:07 pm

Agreed House cookies FTW!

Link me fellas.

SailinScotty
10-28-09, 9:39 pm
You can do them either way really. I like to mix it up myself. I'll cook them sometimes, blend them to a powder then put in my shakes or just blend them with my shake whole for a little texture.

Dr.Platypus
10-29-09, 12:00 am
House cookie

the way I make the House cookie is:
1/2 cup oats, between 1/4-1/2 cup coffee (water works), 5 packets artificial sweetener

mix in a microwave safe bowl, pat it down so it will cook like a cookie

microwave for 3:10, use a fork to flip the "cookie" over and cook for another :25 seconds

you might have to adjust time accordingly, I burned a lot of cookies before getting it right.

Lightnin'
10-29-09, 10:30 am
I like 1 cup oats in a blender, then 16oz milk, 5 ice cubes, and a scoop of protein and 1 packet of splenda if you like it sweet. Simple....easy....effective.

Aggression
10-29-09, 11:34 am
For breakfast, I cook them: 1 full cup oats w/ 1 3/4c of water in the micro for 1min 50s. For me and my micro, its the perfect way.

For any other time, I usually just throw it in a shaker, raw, with some protein.

C.Coronato
10-29-09, 11:39 am
Yea in the AM cooked is great. Throw some fruit or granola on top to change it up a bit. Or the BIG WIDES way .. Frosted Flakes!

For a shake i blend them up first alone so they are a powder. Then add milk protein ect to it and drink them.

Kain81
10-29-09, 12:07 pm
i eat a cup every morning , and just add fresh fruit from my farmers market. peaches, bananas, etc... chopped up and nuke it for a minute. The fruit is plenty sweet, but you can always toss in a packet of splenda if your used to frosted flakes. g'luck.

10-29-09, 1:06 pm
Yea in the AM cooked is great. Throw some fruit or granola on top to change it up a bit. Or the BIG WIDES way .. Frosted Flakes!

For a shake i blend them up first alone so they are a powder. Then add milk protein ect to it and drink them.

For some reason, I can't drink them if I grind them up. I can pound them down whole in a shake, but when I grind them up my gag reflex has a field day. Doesn't make sense. haha

Lightnin'
10-29-09, 1:55 pm
For some reason, I can't drink them if I grind them up. I can pound them down whole in a shake, but when I grind them up my gag reflex has a field day. Doesn't make sense. haha

Do they soak up the moisture unground? do they stick to the bottom of your cup? I always grind mine....

10-29-09, 1:58 pm
Do they soak up the moisture unground? do they stick to the bottom of your cup? I always grind mine....

I mix the shake up and let it sit for awhile, add a little more water, give it a few shakes and down it no problem. You just kinda have to sip and chew.

Dr.Platypus
10-29-09, 4:01 pm
I love whole oats in a shake