PDA

View Full Version : G Diesel's Bedtime "Consistency" Shake

G Diesel
05-21-07, 10:44 am
Looking back on it, the one thing that I can't stress enough in making steady progress is consistency. Where other guys with better genetics or who took more risks fell off, I made up the distance simply by being consistent and doing the little things for a longer period of time.

The other night, before bed, I stood in the kitchen and whipped this up in the Magic Bullet...

1 serving vanilla UniSyn
1 8 oz. container lowfat blueberry yogurt
8 oz. milk
2 fresh strawberries

As I drank what was a damn tasty shake, I laughed. This has been my fucking ritual (in one shape or form with about a million different recipes) for more than a decade. Shit, you can ask my college roomates about the shake before bed, or ask my folks about the blender at 3am... For my girl it is just a fact of life.

It was one of the most basic and earliest bodybuilding tenets that I learned and I adopted it as gospel. It made so much sense to me... Sleep is where your body regenerates itself, you are unable to eat during this time so what you ingest before bedtime is so crucial. The easiest and most nutrient rich meal at this time for me had always been the bedtime shake.

You wanna talk about how important those little things are... How they all add up? In 10 years I've had I'd say approximately 3600 bedtime shakes (avg. of about 360 a year). I wonder how much growth, how many cumulative lbs of muscle those shakes are responsible for? Something to think about, next time you are "too tired" to get that last shake in. Peace, G

krazyassmexican
05-21-07, 10:49 am
str8 pimpin
i will try it

Beowulf
05-21-07, 10:51 am
Have you ever considered throwing in some cottage cheese?

G Diesel
05-21-07, 10:55 am
Have you ever considered throwing in some cottage cheese?

Try it bro... I've just about done it all over the years--every recipe you can imagine. I eat a lot of cottage cheese so I haven't added it to my shakes, but it is a nice, slow absorbing protein source. Peace, G

ironshaolin
05-21-07, 11:03 am
Hey G, I'm starting to take Universal's ZMA pro before bed next week. I know they say you shouldn't have anything with calcium for a few hours before taking ZMA because the calcium can interfere with how the zinc gets absorbed. Do you believe this, do you think its ok to have a bedtime shake with zma or do you have something else to recommend at that time?

Beowulf
05-21-07, 11:05 am
Try it bro... I've just about done it all over the years--every recipe you can imagine. I eat a lot of cottage cheese so I haven't added it to my shakes, but it is a nice, slow absorbing protein source. Peace, G

That's what I was thinking--the casein in the cottage cheese would give you a slow release of aminos. Will try your shake, but maybe I'll add some CC. Thanks.

G Diesel
05-21-07, 11:05 am
Hey G, I'm starting to take Universal's ZMA pro before bed next week. I know they say you shouldn't have anything with calcium for a few hours before taking ZMA because the calcium can interfere with how the zinc gets absorbed. Do you believe this, do you think its ok to have a bedtime shake with zma or do you have something else to recommend at that time?

I've taken ZMA for years and I take it usually within a couple of minutes of my shake... No problems, no worries. Peace, G

G Diesel
05-21-07, 1:37 pm
That's what I was thinking--the casein in the cottage cheese would give you a slow release of aminos. Will try your shake, but maybe I'll add some CC. Thanks.

That is just one idea... It evolves from night to night. I've been doing The G Diesel Shake (RG, oats, natty PB, milk) rather consistently, but the possibilities are truly endless. Peace, G

k1usa
05-21-07, 4:17 pm
I have made my best gains since I started the pre bed shake meal...it works...its simple...and it is how I kick started my growth...at 53...growing anything other than gray fucken hair aint easy....but this late night meal...works.....

G Diesel
05-21-07, 4:33 pm
I have made my best gains since I started the pre bed shake meal...it works...its simple...and it is how I kick started my growth...at 53...growing anything other than gray fucken hair aint easy....but this late night meal...works.....

You said it K1... It is simple and it works--gets no better than that. Peace, G

dIdDy
05-21-07, 7:18 pm
Thanks for the info G, but I prefer the pre-bead meal. 2 whole eggs, 4 eggwhites (from the "liquid egg white" carton I dont throw food away) fried in EV Olive Oil topped with a lil hot salsa, big scoop of CC, big scoop of Natty PB.....mmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmm good!

When i wake up 4 hours later, having to piss, I chugg half of a protein shake that I made while my eggs where cooking than go back to bed......very ritualiztik.

Naturally Huge
05-21-07, 7:40 pm
Amen to the bedtime ritual. I always have either a micellar casein shake, cottage cheese, yogurt or whole eggs before bed. Last night I ate 2 cups plain yogurt with 1.5 scoops whey protein mixed in and topped it off with about 5-6 Tbs. natural peanut butter--couldn't get enough!

gsb239
05-22-07, 12:15 am
The possibilities are really endless like mentioned above.

2 nights ago I threw all of the following in the blender hoping it would taste good... it was awesome:

3/4 cup of dry oats
5 strawberries
1 cup cottage cheese
1 scoop of whey protein (I used Cafe Mocha flavor but Vanilla might work better)

I used whey and cottage cheese to get some fast and slow release protein in there.

Flax oil would be awesome in there.. make it more rich in taste.

gsb239
05-22-07, 12:18 am
oh yeah add some water or milk in there to get your desired level of consistency... ice cubes too

stumblin54
05-22-07, 12:46 am
Go for the whole cup gsb, get some quality carbs in before bed. I love when people are amazed at how I eat carbs before bed, and then wonder how I'm bigger than them...if you don't know how to eat you're not going to grow.

Stumblin

G Diesel
05-22-07, 9:23 am
get some quality carbs in before bed. I love when people are amazed at how I eat carbs before bed, and then wonder how I'm bigger than them...

Quote of the day. Peace, G

Rhetoric
05-22-07, 11:26 am
Another great recipe G. When can we expect "Cooking for the Animal: G Diesel's Guide to Whippin' Up Some Tasty Shit?"

Bulldozin727
05-22-07, 11:55 am
Another great recipe G. When can we expect "Cooking for the Animal: G Diesel's Guide to Whippin' Up Some Tasty Shit?"

HA, That could be a New York Times Best Seller. I would buy a couple copies for my house and for my Ma's house. That way when she wants me to come by for dinner all the time I will have no worries. Be Easy, Peace- Nick

Bulldozin727
05-22-07, 11:57 am
Howz that for future Animal Gear, huh Rep? The G Diesel Animal Cook Book. I am thinkin that would be badass. Start compiling G, Be Easy, Peace-Nick

Brute Strength
05-22-07, 11:26 pm
What about pack before bed....if you got extra money to buy it. I just took it thinking im getting my nutrients along with my PB and my shake also.

stumblin54
05-22-07, 11:36 pm
What about pack before bed....if you got extra money to buy it. I just took it thinking im getting my nutrients along with my PB and my shake also.

Yo Brute one pack in the morning is good for you at this point. Save that extra money for food.

Stumblin

Brute Strength
05-23-07, 11:06 pm
cool...i just got lazy one night and looked at my can and said...well lets have this instead of a big shake...man i wish i had the shake, i woke up hungry like you wouldn't even know. I'll have my shake from now on.

Naturally Huge
05-24-07, 8:45 pm
Go for the whole cup gsb, get some quality carbs in before bed. I love when people are amazed at how I eat carbs before bed, and then wonder how I'm bigger than them...if you don't know how to eat you're not going to grow.

Stumblin

Amen. The "no carbs before bed" is a FAT LOSS tool. Off-season is a different story.

MassMonster
06-07-07, 12:31 am
gunna try that shake im hungry 4 it right now heheh n i second (or third) the G Deisel cookbook

depratercm
09-15-07, 10:14 pm
Being deployed here to Baghdad again, this time I'm hitting the gym harder then I have ever done in my life. I able to workout twice a day during lunch and before bed. Was makin awesome progress and the wife was impressed when I came home on R&R. I've seems to have hit a dead spot, just not dropping the BF I wan too. Did some reseach and ordered Animal Cuts and Protein Shake powder(Zero Carbs). My old protein powder helped with recovey, but after research found it full of carbs and sugars, new stuff doesn't.

Like I said, I hit the gym at night, take a shower and off to bed. 3-4 hours later I wake up freakin' hungry.

Questions, would taken my protein shake before bed effect my weight loss goals?!!??

Roland
09-15-07, 10:19 pm
Being deployed here to Baghdad again, this time I'm hitting the gym harder then I have ever done in my life. I able to workout twice a day during lunch and before bed. Was makin awesome progress and the wife was impressed when I came home on R&R. I've seems to have hit a dead spot, just not dropping the BF I wan too. Did some reseach and ordered Animal Cuts and Protein Shake powder(Zero Carbs). My old protein powder helped with recovey, but after research found it full of carbs and sugars, new stuff doesn't.

Like I said, I hit the gym at night, take a shower and off to bed. 3-4 hours later I wake up freakin' hungry.

Questions, would taken my protein shake before bed effect my weight loss goals?!!??

Nah bro, you need to feed them muscles after a hard workout, after a workout you are in a catabolic(muscle burning) state and your muscles need food to replenish. Probably the best time to eat your carbs too cuz it won't store asbodyfat, but you need food to build and replenish the muscles.

JMC
09-15-07, 10:22 pm
Hey fellas, anyone bulking get in your middle of the night shake?

It's damn tough getting outta bed at 2,3 or 4am, but I've got a shake ready to roll in the fridge. Something to think about if you're getting in your 8/9 hours of sleep a night.

Giant Killer
09-15-07, 10:42 pm
My girl gets the blender at 11:00 pm, and then again at 6:00 am. She used to get pissed but now she just sleeps through it! It's amazing what you can get used to over a long time, haha.

Elite
09-15-07, 10:49 pm
Its funny when friends stay over and their all drinking and im jus sticking to water. Where their up 2-3 times a night hittin the lavvy and groaning, im up midway for my shake just chuggin and lickin my lips. Their bodys are slowly breaking down, mine is slowly building up! They'll never understand...

depratercm
09-15-07, 10:52 pm
Thanks for the info G,

Now to get use to warm shakes, sucks when you don't have a frig in the room . . . that's the sacrifices I gotta make!

4 more months and we done here in Iraq!!!! Then back to the real world, with real food options!!!

GK37
11-10-07, 10:39 pm
great idea G, i will be sure to try it

is the serving of Unisyn a scoop of the bulk powder or a packet (i think they are the same anyway)

also, i would love a Animal G Diesel Cookbook!

joe-yamma
11-11-07, 12:00 am
good post. i've been hitting muscle milk (mostly for the casein) shakes (made with milk) before bed for awhile now. also add natty pb sometimes too. i think i need step up my game and switch it up. maybe get some real gains, start added cottage cheese, yogurt, etc.

Northman
11-11-07, 12:37 am
Hey fellas, anyone bulking get in your middle of the night shake?

It's damn tough getting outta bed at 2,3 or 4am, but I've got a shake ready to roll in the fridge. Something to think about if you're getting in your 8/9 hours of sleep a night.

I always wake up thoughout the night to eat. That's why I'm on now. I get up every 3 hours, eat, go back to sleep for 3 hours and repeat 3 times. I get 9 hours of sleep in groupings of roughly 2 sleep cycles at a time.

BTW... I wouldn't mind compiling a bunch of the recipies on here (G Diesel's, Tony 69's, the member's who contribute are endless). If people would give me permission...

Hoomgar
12-05-07, 4:15 pm
See this is how I learn. Thanks for this thread G. One thing that happens to me every night since I turned on my anabolic metabolism is I wake up about every 3 to 4 hours. This has been like clock work for the last 3 months. I figured it was part of being anabolic now instead of catabolic? For the last 3 to 4 months I have been having a Whey shake before bed and I always make up another one right away and put it in the mini fridge in my room because I know I am going to be back up in about 3 hours. I have tried to ignore it and just go back to sleep but no can do. My body wakes up and I lay there. My choices are, lay there like a dumb a$$, or get up, piss and get another whey shake. When I do I hit the pillow and am right back out for another 3 to 4 hours.

Man, teach the rookie here guys, what am I doing wrong? What I am getting from what you guys have said in here is that there are better sources of protein for night time that digest slower? What is best then? Cottage Cheeze, Cassian? What else?

zanderfever
03-21-08, 10:44 pm
Wooow, decade plus. I'm proud to say i've been lifting for 3 and have been having a pre-bed shake for 2. Impressive, G, you get points in my book.

BrotherInArms
03-21-08, 10:56 pm
Nice GD, I do the same myself. I set my alarm, sleepwalk to the fridge and consume.

rbh84
04-03-08, 3:22 pm
Looking back on it, the one thing that I can't stress enough in making steady progress is consistency. Where other guys with better genetics or who took more risks fell off, I made up the distance simply by being consistent and doing the little things for a longer period of time.

The other night, before bed, I stood in the kitchen and whipped this up in the Magic Bullet...

1 serving vanilla UniSyn
8 oz. milk
2 fresh strawberries

As I drank what was a damn tasty shake, I laughed. This has been my fucking ritual (in one shape or form with about a million different recipes) for more than a decade. Shit, you can ask my college roomates about the shake before bed, or ask my folks about the blender at 3am... For my girl it is just a fact of life.

It was one of the most basic and earliest bodybuilding tenets that I learned and I adopted it as gospel. It made so much sense to me... Sleep is where your body regenerates itself, you are unable to eat during this time so what you ingest before bedtime is so crucial. The easiest and most nutrient rich meal at this time for me had always been the bedtime shake.

You wanna talk about how important those little things are... How they all add up? In 10 years I've had I'd say approximately 3600 bedtime shakes (avg. of about 360 a year). I wonder how much growth, how many cumulative lbs of muscle those shakes are responsible for? Something to think about, next time you are "too tired" to get that last shake in. Peace, G

Last night after all day, I was laying in bed next to my girl, and I started to get hungry. I was also starting to fall asleep. It was dark in the room, and I looked at the clock almost a littel pass 900pm. I knew I had to eat something, because it had been 3 hours after I scarfed down a 3 ounces 96% lean hamburger on a piece of walnut bread with some brown rice and I was starting to begin to feel my body hungering. Then the demons came...I was like fuck it. To tired....Then I thought about the cottage cheese I ate last night with strawberries. It didnt sit well so it discouraged me. Then I thought about a protien shake...To this second I really dont know why I got up. I have no idea....but the next thing I knew I was in my kitchen whipping up a Whey protien shake, with 1/3 cup of raw oats, 1 table spoon of omega-3 crunchy peanut butter from "Balance," a little bit of splenda and a 1/2 bannana and 1/3 non fat dried milk. It blew my friggin mind. I went to bed feeling satisfied.

Your story of the shake brought back great memories....your totally right it being the staple. That where it all began for me to. I remember so many nights sitting over that protien shake wanting something bigger in life.

-H

Hoomgar
04-03-08, 4:06 pm
Hey G, have you played with any of the new Milk & Egg protein yet? Curious how your using it if so.

Chaps
04-05-08, 10:52 pm
Man, G Diesel, your shake ROCKS !!!!!! Here is what YOU put inside :

1 serving vanilla UniSyn
8 oz. milk
2 fresh strawberries

Instead of UniSyn, I put 2 scoops of 100% WHEY GOLD STANDARD - chocolate; I add low fat plain yogourt (1 cup), 8 oz (1 cup) 1% milk, 2-3 big strawberries and blueberries and some ice.... I start the blender and 30 seconds later, my shake is ready !

Thanks a lot G for yout advice ! It is true that this shake is awesome and god-damn tasty !!

mikejones1
04-05-08, 11:42 pm

imo i think that taking pak before bed wouldnt be necessary, might be over doing it, ecsp someone like yourself at 16. i think youll definetly be ok with just 1 pak during the day. i think your good with the shake and pb

born0withno0soul
04-15-08, 1:32 am
most of you agree that calories before bed during a bulk is crucial to growth but i also think that calories before bed on a cut is crucial for maintenance as well. you tear your body down with cardio and weight training with minimal calories your body needs time to rest and repair itself.

IronSport
04-22-08, 4:37 pm
most of you agree that calories before bed during a bulk is crucial to growth but i also think that calories before bed on a cut is crucial for maintenance as well. you tear your body down with cardio and weight training with minimal calories your body needs time to rest and repair itself.

Agreed. A bedtime shake was definitely key in my last pre-contest diet.

weezyfbaby
05-04-08, 9:15 pm
pre-bed shake is the highlight of my day man. everyday no matter what i get that shake in no matter where, outa town no problem brought my blender along for family vacation ;) you are right man in fact ima go whip one up right now.

bagged150
05-05-08, 11:46 am
damn G all ur inboxes are full lol i see why.....i was gonna ask ya a question about some stuff hit me back when ya got a sec

btw my real gains should be in today im eager to try the pb oats shake before bed tonight!

1skinnyassedrunt
05-09-08, 4:43 pm
Amen. The "no carbs before bed" is a FAT LOSS tool. Off-season is a different story.

Thats one thing ive never been able to get my heard around, models/actors say no carbs after 6 and nothing after 8. Look at Daniel Craig playing Bond, he was solid and in an interview he said 'no carbs after 6 o'clock' and hes still fucking solid!

G Diesel
05-20-08, 10:14 am
damn G all ur inboxes are full lol i see why.....i was gonna ask ya a question about some stuff hit me back when ya got a sec

btw my real gains should be in today im eager to try the pb oats shake before bed tonight!

Hit me brother... Fire away. Peace, G

G Diesel
07-05-08, 10:52 pm
Just had 6 scoops Animal Max (60g) mixed with strawberries, blueberries and whole milk. Mmm Mmm good. Nice little pre-bed shake. Peace, G

NPRamirez
07-06-08, 3:28 pm
Awesome Idea, GD. It got me thinkin' that I should whip something up before bed. This is what I did and it was awesome!

1.5 scoops x Banana Casein protein
1c x Low fat Strawberry Yogurt
12oz x Skim Milk (about)

My normal Bedtime Meal was as follows. It was nice but less convenient.

1 cup x Cottage cheese
2 tbsp x Peanut butter w/ graham cracker
8oz glass x milk

Any suggestions to my custom bedtime shake?

Mighty Kev
08-11-08, 9:38 pm
Ooooh that looks good!

Histo55
08-16-08, 1:53 pm
i'm a big fan of 2/3 cup of cottage cheese, cup of milk, scoop and half of protein, graham cracker, and of course splenda and ice

try it, you won't regret it

Whiteseraph86
09-02-08, 2:45 am
Okay, I am a total newb when it comes to this stuff, but I thought ANY carbs taken before bed will turn straight into fat, milk and fruit included. How do you avoid this bro?

strivin for more
12-13-08, 5:15 pm
i started makin this my last meal of the night, and i gotta say man i love it. im no where near as hungry in the morning as i was. thanks.

In Flames
12-15-08, 9:40 pm
What else can you add besides dairy? I know Centaponi and Bob Chick both avoid dairy products. So how else could you make a mass building bedtime shake? Do you make this shake for pre-contest as well? How would it differ when dieting?

Thanks G!

C.Coronato
01-12-09, 12:54 pm
I usually have 2 big bowls of shredded wheat before bed. Milk and all. Gotta love the fact that people say no carbs after dinner. Im def gonna try the shake tonight. Thanks G

eric downey
02-06-09, 12:40 am
ive added G's shake myself. the added good protein befor bed has leaned me out about 12 lbs

G Diesel
02-06-09, 8:53 am
I've been drinking strawberry Just-WHEY in milk before bed lately and chocolate with oats and milk in the AM. I'm making sure to get at least 100g of supplemental protein per day from powders and Just-WHEY has been my weapon of choice of late. I'm always looking for a little variety, I think I have attention deficit disorder when it comes to protein powders.

Peace, G

J-Dawg
02-06-09, 9:33 am
I've been drinking strawberry Just-WHEY in milk before bed lately and chocolate with oats and milk in the AM. I'm making sure to get at least 100g of supplemental protein per day from powders and Just-WHEY has been my weapon of choice of late. I'm always looking for a little variety, I think I have attention deficit disorder when it comes to protein powders.

Peace, G

It's funny you mention the Just-WHEY. I've been hearing some good feedback about that one.

xMATT182x
02-07-09, 1:11 am
G, this shake is amazing. It really hits the spot and tastes awesome. I woke up feeling better then I have in a long while.

Deathride
12-19-09, 8:40 am
My pre-bed ritual is always:

a protein coffee (half a large mug of coffee, half the mug with 30g of whey protein/milk mixed up........use Vanilla for a latte, Chocolate for a mocha :-D)
a can of tuna

Often had at around midnight in bed.....sees me through to the morning for the eggs.

ReLoaDeD57
01-12-10, 3:40 pm
what about mytoplex ehh ..

J-DOG
02-01-10, 5:24 pm
That would be a great idea and a best seller considering all the great recipes that are floating around the forum all the time. Maybe Uni Rep could suggest it to management and get some sort of competition going where evryone can submit their favourite recipes. The book could have a mass gaining section and a cutting up section for pre comp meals. Come on Animals lets get behind this cause you know it would be awesome!

JD

jandirigma
03-12-10, 10:44 pm
Sounds like a great shake, just hope I had the cash to even by myself a consistent supply of powder. Now, I find myself gobbling cottage cheese and a piece of fruit instead of a shake, so I feel kinda bloated. I'd like to give that shake a try sometime.

Machine
04-26-10, 8:26 pm
I dont see where you could go wrong with an even potentiating foundational shake like what G is advocating here...thanks G...it was fucking delicious!

Good protein source
Good protein vs. overall calorie ratio
Good digestive aid occurring naturally
Good carb selection - you need them at all times of the day and night

MACHINE

G Diesel
04-28-10, 2:02 pm
I dont see where you could go wrong with an even potentiating foundational shake like what G is advocating here...thanks G...it was fucking delicious!

Good protein source
Good protein vs. overall calorie ratio
Good digestive aid occurring naturally
Good carb selection - you need them at all times of the day and night

MACHINE

Just following your example my brother and filling in the gaps with my own experiments and experiences.

Right now I'm doing 8 oz of liquid egg whites with 2 scoops of Vanilla Specialized Protein for Lean Mass as my last shake of the day. Of late I've been training relatively late where by the time I have my Torrent postworkout and then my whole food meal, it can be 11pm or later. In those cases I don't force another shake before bed, but will instead load up on aminos.

Peace, G

AntoineV
07-10-10, 6:52 pm

1 serving vanilla UniSyn
8 oz. milk
2 fresh strawberries

I gotta try that!

Sandman
09-01-10, 4:32 am
I use Greek yogurt for my shakes has a little more pro than regular yogurt.

Aggression
09-01-10, 8:43 am
Right now I'm doing 8 oz of liquid egg whites with 2 scoops of Vanilla Specialized Protein for Lean Mass as my last shake of the day. Of late I've been training relatively late where by the time I have my Torrent postworkout and then my whole food meal, it can be 11pm or later. In those cases I don't force another shake before bed, but will instead load up on aminos.

Peace, G

Good thinking, G. That is what I've been doing as well; postWO shake around 8pm and then one final whole food meal. If its a weekend where I'm up a little later than usual, I'll have a scoop or two of IsoWhey before bed. But if its a Sunday-Thursday type of thing, its postWO shake at 8pm, one final whole food meal around 930.

FITGYM
09-01-10, 10:42 am
Just following your example my brother and filling in the gaps with my own experiments and experiences.

Peace, G

Good Advice for those who train late at night G.

FITGYM
09-01-10, 10:46 am
Howz that for future Animal Gear, huh Rep? The G Diesel Animal Cook Book. I am thinkin that would be badass. Start compiling G, Be Easy, Peace-Nick

How about a book like the stacking 101?

You can have the meals of all the sponsored athletes and include the ritual bedtime shake recipes....and ad a part on contest prep for shredding up or just have the athletes exact diet up to contest day.....